Disclaimers in Parts 1-3

 

~~~~~~~~~

HIGHLANDS

 

Part IV

 

"I can’t tell you how sorry I am, Qui-Gon," Queen Amidala said. "I know there is nothing I can do to alleviate your pain. Have you spoken with Obi-Wan?"

"He still refuses to talk with me."

"That is unfortunate. He grieves as well."

"I know and I want to help him, if he’ll let me."

"If there’s anything I can do, Master Qui-Gon..."

"I don’t think there’s anything anyone can do, Padmé, but thank you."

Gently she took his hand. "Peace be with you."

"And also with you. These are dark times, but we must strive for peace."

* * *

Shmi held Qui-Gon gently. His children were close, wishing there was something they could do.

"How could anyone be so cruel?" Dair asked, tears in his blue eyes.

Qui-Gon knelt down to him. "There are many in the Universe who are for from altruistic, Dair. It is our duty to help them find their way."

"Help them? Help *him* after what he did?! I *never* liked him, Father. I *hate* him for what he did!"

Qui-Gon held his son. "I understand your anger, Dair, but you must not hate. Hate leads to the Dark Side. It was hate that corrupted Anakin."

"I’m sorry, Father," Dair sobbed. "It’s just that..."

"I know," Qui-Gon said gently, holding him.

* * *

"If only I could have provided more for him..." Shmi sobbed.

"It’s not your fault," Qui-Gon assured her with gentleness.

"A lot of his anger comes from being a slave, dealing with less than amiable podracers and slave masters ..."

"Shmi, you did everything you could for him..." Gently, he held her.

"Qui-Gon, I’m so sorry ..."

"You have nothing to apologise for ... Perhaps I am the one that needs to apologise ... I didn’t foresee the danger..."

"You loved him as a son, and he you as a father. You saw only good in him. You look for the good in everyone, Qui-Gon, even in Darth Maul."

"Perhaps that’s a failing on my part."

"No, it’s a strength and one I love you very much for."

Shmi held her beloved in her arms.

* * *

One morning Qui-Gon sighed to himself and frowned.

"What is it?" Shmi asked, coming to him.

"A family on Dantooine is stealing our credits."

"How?"

"Somehow they got my credit number."

"Can you put a stop to it?"

"I’ve checked them out, they are poor people."

"So are we at the rate we’re going."

"I know ... I’m unsure what to do about it, his family is starving, but as you say ... I won’t be able to feed our children at this rate ..."

Qui-Gon began to think.

"I have an idea," he said.

"What is it?"

"I’m going to contact the father. I know of a charitable organisation that helps the needy, perhaps they can help."

The man looked at his viewscreen, trying not to shiver.

"I’m sorry .." he began to say, "my family was starving..."

"I understand that," Qui-Gon said, "but at the rate we’re going I won’t be able to feed my children either."

The man broke down in tears. Qui-Gon felt for him.

"Please don’t hurt my daddy ..."

Qui-Gon looked down and saw a little girl.

"I’m not going to," he said, "but you must understand that I have children too and I need to look after them." He looked at the father. "I can give you the contact details for Vine. They are an organisation that help those in need."

"There is such a thing?"

"Yes, they’re based on Coruscant."

"I’m so sorry, I feel so awful ... I really thought you were paid lots of money ... but that still doesn’t excuse what I did ... and I wouldn’t blame you if you reported me, but I have to beg you not to. They’ll take my children away. Their mother died last year and they have no one to care for them..."

"I didn’t even think about reporting you," Qui-Gon said.

"Ohh ... you’re too kind."

Qui-Gon smiled. "But think next time. Others in the galaxy would not be so kind."

"I know that and I am fortunate and grateful."

The little girl came on again. "Thank you," she said.

"It’s my pleasure," Qui-Gon said. "You’re a brave little girl."

"I am?"

"Yes, you stuck up for your father."

"But you wouldn’t hurt a fly."

"You know that now, but before you didn’t."

The little girl smiled. "Are your children all right?"

"They will be."

" Do they have a mother?"

"Yes, her name is Shmi."

"That’s a pretty name. My name’s Alona and my sister’s name is Meluca and my brother is called Han."

"They’re all pretty names."

The girl’s father smiled. "You have a way with children ... Again, I can’t tell you how sorry I am ..."

"All is forgiven," Qui-Gon said, "and I trust you, but if you don’t mind I am going to have to change my code."

"Of course, thank you Master Qui-Gon."

"My pleasure Jima Solo."

* * *

"Vine has given us a little help, they’re stretched as it is," Qui-Gon said. "We have enough to go on for the time being."

Shmi sighed.

"That means no biscuits, doesn’t it?" Dair complained.

"Only for a while, but when we get back on our feet I promise I’ll buy those "Dare" chocolate ones you like so much."

"But why can’t I have them now?"

"Dare, your father is doing the best he can," Shmi scalded.

"I’m sorry," Dair said, apologetically.

Qui-Gon gently placed his arms around his son.

* * *

Qui-Gon, Shmi and the children tended the garden and were cleaning the outside of the house.

Dair scowled. "I want to go and play with Miralee," he complained.

"After your chores are done."

"I hate chores."

"I don't like them either, Dair," Qui-Gon said. "And hate leads to the Dark Side."

"I still want to play with Miralee. Can I?"

"I’ve already answered that."

Dair scowled again and plunged the sponge into the water, beginning to wipe the outside of the house.

"Don’t drip too much dirty water on the flowers." Qui-Gon said.

"Nothing I do is right!" Dair complained.

Qui-Gon sighed. It was going to be one of *those* arguments again. "Dair, I’m not in the mood to argue with you."

"You’re never in the mood for anything!"

Dair threw the cloth into the water. "I can’t have biscuits, I can’t play with my friends. I can’t do anything!"

Qui-Gon sighed again. "I’d send you to your room, but you have work to do."

"Maybe I *should* just go to my room."

Dair stomped off.

"Dair..."

The little boy did not turn around.

Dair sat in his room and called Miralee.

"Hi, Dair."

"You wanna come around?"

"Sure."

"But come in the back way. Dad’s gone off at me and –"

"I get the picture." There was a smile in her voice.

"Dair who are you calling?"

The boy almost dropped the communicator.

"Just a friend."

"Her name wouldn’t begin with an M would it?"

"Well ... I just wanted to say hi..."

"And come around?"

Dair threw the communicator on the ground. "You never let me have any fun."

"That’s not true, Dair, I-"

Qui-Gon stopped, sensing danger. Dair became concerned, seeing the look on his father’s face, but he didn’t get an opportunity to ask him what was the matter as and

Qui-Gon ran outside to Shmi and Thal. "Get inside," he said, urgently.

Shmi looked concerned. "What is it?"

"A disturbance in the Force..."

Shmi hurried Thal inside. Qui-Gon retrieved his lightsabre.

"Ohhh Gods, it’s not Darth Maul ... please tell me it’s not.."

Qui-Gon shook his head. "No, it’s not .... it’s ..."

"Anakin?"

Qui-Gon shook his head again. Shmi let out a sigh of relief.

"Qui-Gon I want you to know if Anakin does come to fight you, I won’t hold it against you if you ..."

"Lets hope it never comes to that."

Qui-Gon felt a barrage of anger. "Stay inside," he told his beloved and his children.

An angry young Jedi, blue lightsabre ignited, came up the hill. His eyes glowered when he saw Qui-Gon.

"YOU BASTARD!!!" he yelled, rushing him.

At first Qui-Gon had no idea why this man’s anger was directed at him. He ignited his green blade to battle, for the first time since the battle on Naboo, over ten years ago. He’d sparred and practised against remotes, to keep up his skills, but a sparring partner and a remote do not have the intense anger of one that wants to kill. Qui-Gon couldn’t believe these feelings were coming from a Jedi. He recognised the young man as he came closer, young Jordana Dane, a promising Jedi, but why ...

"I lost *everything* because of you!" the young Padawan screamed, smashing his lightsabre against Qui-Gon’s. "My Master was in the Temple when it ..."

Now Qui-Gon understood and he wanted nothing more than to help the boy, if he would be willing to talk. He saw through the young Jedi’s anger and the bitter tears.

Shmi, Dair and Thal looked on, worried. Dair looked on in awe. He had never seen his father fight before. He was incredible, such strength, such resolve, but Dair was also scared for him, despite their earlier argument. Qui-Gon’s young opponent was no dunce with a blade. Qui-Gon defended himself, his footwork impeccable, as though he was dancing, his strokes elegant as opposed to the angry strokes of his attacker.

"I can’t undo the past," Qui-Gon said evenly. "I’m truly sorry for your loss."

"The Chosen one!" Jordana spat. "Chosen to bring death to us all?"

The words hit Qui-Gon hard and he almost lost grip on his sabre.

"I believe Anakin is the Chosen One, but I did not foresee-"

"And that makes it all right?"

"Of course not." Qui-Gon deflected the other blade. "I accept responsibility for my actions. I lost friends and people I cared about too."

"I lost everything!" the young Jedi’s vision was momentarily blurred by tears.

Qui-Gon used the opportunity to disarm his young opponent.

Jordana swallowed. "You may as well kill me, you killed us all anyway."

"That’s not fair!" Shmi said. "Qui-Gon is not to blame for Anakin’s actions. "If you should blame anyone, blame me, I’m his mother."

"Shmi ..." Qui-Gon didn’t want her to get involved, for her own safety.

"I feel for you." Jordana said. "But Qui-Gon should have foreseen-"

"What if he wasn’t meant to foresee?" Shmi asked. " What if this was the way it was meant to happen, painful as it is for all of us?"

Jordana fell to his knees and burst into tears. Qui-Gon was the first to comfort him.

"What the hell have I done ... Ohh Gods ... I hated you for what you did .. and I wanted to kill you..." he looked into Qui-Gon’s eyes. "What sort of a Jedi does that make me ..."

Gently Qui-Gon held him. Dair looked at the young Jedi angrily. Qui-Gon motioned for him not to say anything. Jordana wailed loudly as Qui-Gon held him.

"You’d be well within you rights to kill me ..." Jordana said.

"No I wouldn’t. You are hurting and you have a right to be angry, yes you let that anger overtake you and your actions were questionable. The question is what are you going to do about it now?"

Jordana looked up. "I can’t expect you to help me."

"Yes you can and I will."

Qui-Gon stood, helped the young Jedi up and invited him into his house.

"I couldn’t possibly, after what I did."

"Your hatred and intense have passed and you have learned your lesson. Please, come with me."

Dair glared at Jordana, the young Jedi couldn’t blame him.

Qui-Gon offered Jordana some pumpkin soup, which he graciously accepted.

"It’s been a while since you’ve eaten," he said. "There’s more if you need."

"I couldn’t possibly trouble you."

Qui-Gon smiled. "You have done something you feel ashamed of. Meditate on it, but do not as they say ‘beat yourself up’ about it."

"But what if I had killed you? Left your children fatherless?

"If you were meant to kill me, the events would have unfolded that way."

"I realise that, but my actions were inexcusable."

Qui-Gon gave him some more soup.

"You are as kind as they say, Jordana said. "I can’t believe that I ..." He stopped to wipe his tears.

"I have already forgiven you. But you must forgive yourself."

"Perhaps I will, in time."

Qui-Gon spoke after a long pause. "There’s a band of rebel Jedi gathering on Dantooine. I suggest you join them. You will be safe there for the time being. Do not announce yourself as a Jedi to anyone unless you are sure of their intentions. It is a dark time for Jedi now."

"I know," Jordana said. "As you said perhaps it is meant to be."

The young Jedi finished his soup. "I can’t trouble you much more, Master Qui-Gon. May The Force Be With You."

"And Also With You."

Qui-Gon bid Jordana farewell and washed up his bowl and spoon. The Jedi Master sighed. Shmi came to him. "Don’t blame yourself for Anakin’s actions. You’re no more responsible as I am. We both may feel responsible, but I have come to understand there is a bigger force at play."

Gently Qui-Gon held her. "I thought I was the Jedi Master."

Shmi smiled. "Promise me you won’t blame yourself."

Qui-Gon nodded. "Perhaps things were meant to work out this way ... but why does it have to be so painful ..." Shmi almost cried at Qui-Gon’s innocent words.

"Why did you help him?" Dair asked. "He could have killed you."

Qui-Gon knelt down to his son. "Dair, he suffered so much pain. Yes he lashed out at me, but if he was meant to kill me, he would have."

Dair began to cry. "I love you, father, I’m so sorry about before, I –"

"Forget about it, Dair. I love you too." Gently, Qui-Gon held him.

"I’ll finish cleaning the-"

Qui-Gon shook his head. "Go and play with Miralee."

"Are you sure, I mean there’s lots to do and-"

Qui-Gon smiled. "The house will still be here when you get back ... Today has taught me once again that life is a gift. It’s not to be taken for granted. Yes, chores are necessary, but people you are about are much more important." Softly, Qui-Gon kissed his son’s forehead.

Dair hugged him. "Can I invite Miralee over?"

"And I have something special for you two."

Qui-Gon stool and Dair followed him into the kitchen. Qui-Gon produced a packet of "Dare" biscuits.

"But we don’t have money to-"

"We have a little and even if you’re poor it doesn’t mean you can’t buy something special now and again."

Dair hugged his father. "Have one of the biscuits. I can’t eat them all. "Well I can, but I want you to have one."

"Thank you, Dair. Now I *know* you love me."

Jedi and son laughed. Shmi smiled, grateful her son and beloved were happy.

* * *

"Is he all right?" Miralee asked Dair, concerned.

"He’s fine, though it was scary for all of us."

Qui-Gon came into the room. "I assure you, I’m perfectly fine."

Miralee bolted to him and threw her arms around him. "Don’t ever scare us like that again."

"Believe me, I’m not planning to." Qui-Gon embraced the small girl. "You two have fun now."

Miralee and Dair helped prepare dinner for the family and all sat down to eat. They shared Qui-Gon’s famous vegetable patties.

"Thank you all for a lovely dinner," Qui-Gon said when they had finished.

He silently thanked the Force for the love of his family and the sharing of mealtimes.

* * *

Later that night, Dair sat on the sofa with Miralee.

"I was so worried about your father when you told me..."

"Believe me, I was too ..."

"It must have been so scary to see it happen ..."

"I was terrified ..." Dair’s voice faltered.

Miralee placed her arms around him. Dair returned the embrace. Gently Miralee wiped tears from his face. Dair smiled warmly and took her hand into his. Miralee smiled gently and stroked his head with her free hand. Instinctively Dair leaned closer to her and the two began to kiss.

 

"I’ve heard there’s a going to be fair on at the markets starting tomorrow for three days " Shmi said, coming into the kitchen "Thal, Dair and Miralee loved it so much last time. It’ll be Avalon’s first time."

"Let’s go and see if they want to go," Qui-Gon said.

Qui-Gon and Shmi watched in silence, as they saw Dair and Miralee gently kissing on the sofa, their arms around each other. Silently they retreated.

"I don't think they want to be disturbed," Qui-Gon stated.

"Apparently not," Shmi said. "Are you worried?"

"That they don't want to go to the fair?"

"You know what I mean."

"I don't sense any ill vibes ... they’re genuine ..."

" But they’re so young ..."

"I know."

* * *

Dair sat on the sofa with Miralee.

"There’s a fair on at the markets for three days," Qui-Gon said. "Do you want to go?"

"Sure? Can Miralee come?"

"If she’s allowed."

"I’ll ask," Miralee said, "but it should be fine."

"Don’t worry," Thal said. "I won’t get in your way. Besides I want to take Avalon on the carousel."

Dair smiled. "She’d like that."

Thal left to play with his little sister.

Miralee went home to ask her mother and to take her things home.

 

Qui-Gon hesitated before he spoke to Dair. "Dair, about Miralee..."

"What about her?" Dair asked, becoming a little nervous. "Oh you want some quality father son time at the fair?"

"It’s not that ... I ... that is your mother and I saw ..."

"Oh Gods. You didn’t."

"Yes, we did."

"Nothing happened," Dair said quickly.

"Dair, I’m not going to rouse you ... I sense both your feelings are truly genuine."

"I guess I’ve known all along .... but today I realised that I love her."

"You’re very young, Dair. You’re only twelve. When you were eight you thought Miralee was the most disgusting thing on the planet."

Dair laughed. "I was too embarrassed to say that I liked to play with her."

"And there’s the time you pushed her into the lake."

"I was too scared to say that I liked her."

"Are you sure it’s what you really want?"

Dair paused, then nodded. "Yes, Father, I truly love her and I promise we won’t do anything foolish, except perhaps eat too much fairy floss at the fair tomorrow."

Qui-Gon laughed. "Then you have my blessings, my son."

"Thank you, father." Dair placed his arms around him. Qui-Gon returned the embrace, realising his son was growing up.

* * *

Qui-Gon settled in a nice arm bathtub and sighed to himself.

"Knock, knock?"

Shmi peered around the corner.

"I won’t be too much longer," Qui-Gon said, despite the fact that had just run the bath and was looking forward to a long soak.

"That’s a pity, as I was going to join you."

Qui-Gon smiled. "Be my guest." He moved over in the bath as Shmi entered the room and took her grey dress off.

"You were wearing that the first day I met you. The day I fell in love with you."

Shmi lowered herself into the bath and kissed his gently.

"The first thing I fell in love with were your eyes. An ocean of kindness." Gently she stroked his cheek and he kissed her. Shmi embraced him, her warm, naked body against his. Qui-Gon returned the embrace.

He then submerged himself, wetting his hair. He came back up again like a whale breaching from the ocean. Shmi smiled and stroked his wet hair, now clinging to his broad shoulders. Gently she kissed him and he held her, silently thanking the Force for her love and warmth.

* * *

The children had fun at the fair. Avalon was delighted. Dair and Miralee ate too much fairy floss and enjoyed the wilder rides. Shmi was delighted to take her children out for a fun day. Qui-Gon had almost had to force her out of the house.

‘"I didn’t bond with you so you could do all he chores’" he had said, shooing her out of the house.

The Jedi Master had finished a hard day of chores. He didn’t mind. Fairs weren’t exactly his thing. He didn’t mind pink and green fairy floss, but rides and crowds were never his favourite thing. He sensed Shmi and the children were having a good time.

* * *

Late that afternoon, though it was still light, Shmi, Dair, Thal and Avalon returned from the fair. Dair and Miralee had gone to her house to fetch her pyjamas as she wanted to sleep over at Dair’s. Dair had brought back some fairy floss to give his father.

Qui-Gon sensed them returning, and a strange ripple hit him. He looked up at once. A disturbance in the Force, much more intense than when Jordana had attacked him and Qui-Gon did not have to guess. He retrieved his lightsabre in an instant and left the house. He tried to send a Force warning to Shmi and the children but he was too late. The horned figure clad in black burst out from the bushes and ignited his red lightsabre. From Qui-Gon’s angle, he made it look like he’d lightsabred Shmi and the children. He had in fact knocked them out with the butt of his sabre. Qui-Gon ran to them and clashed with Darth Maul.

"Thought I’d forgotten about you, Jedi?" Maul hissed.

Qui-Gon would have usually interjected a humorous remark but he was too worried about his family. He glanced at them lying unconscious.

"Why them? ... I ‘m the one you want ..."

"Precisely, and I want you to suffer before you die."

Maul disarmed the Jedi Master and blasted him with the Force to the ground.

Dair was returning with Miralee at the time. In an instant He dropped her things and the fairy floss and began to run to his father.

"I’ve waited too long for this," Maul hissed as he raised his sabre.

"Father!" Dair ran to him.

"Dair, No!"

The boy ran in front of his father, taking the blow.

"Dair ... No ..."

Qui-Gon caught him as he fell and held him. "No ..."

"I’m sorry ... I ... love you ... father ... "

"I love you, Dair ..." Qui-Gon’s voice was barely a whisper.

The Jedi Master held his son close to him as the young boy died in his arms. Maul glowered and then he smiled, before knocking Qui-Gon out with the butt of his sabre.

"Sweet dreams, Jedi."

He retrieved the unconscious bodies of Shmi, Thal and Avalon, carried them aboard his ship and took off.

* * *

Meanwhile in the Alternate Universe, the older Dair argued with the Force.

"It is not his time yet. Please, I need him."

//Young Dair ... We realise how much your father means to you...//

"Please ..." Dair wailed. He felt a gentle ripple in the Force.

//We will grant your wish, but know we do this only because The younger Dair of the alternate universe has given his life for you.//

The spirit of the younger Dair entered Qui-Gon’s body and the Jedi Master awoke.

The older Dair hugged him gently. "*Thank you ...*"

Qui-Gon smiled. "Know that I will always be with you, Dair. The younger Dair has given me his life, and at a great cost. His father suffers greatly."

Qui-Gon looked over at Darth Maul’s lifeless body.

"I’m sorry, Father" Dair said, "but I had no choice."

"I do not lay blame," the Jedi Master said. "Let us hope he will become a better person in his next life. We must bury him."

"Bury him?"

"We cannot hate him, no matter how evil he was, otherwise we will become like him."

"Yes, father, I’m sorry."

 

Miralee held Qui-Gon. "I am so relieved .... Dair told me what happened ..."

Qui-Gon returned her embrace.

"Dair, are you going to ask her?"

"But father ... Now...?"

"Don’t worry about me ..."

"You need rest."

"And I’ll rest after you ask her."

"You’re so stubborn."

Qui-Gon smiled.

"Ask me what?" Miralee asked.

Dair took a deep breath and knelt down. "Miralee ... Will you become my bond mate? ... please?"

The young lady gasped. "Ohh, Dair ... Of course I will."

The young boy stood and embraced her. Qui-Gon smiled.

"Now you," Dair said, "to bed."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "Yes, Master."

"Father," Dair said, "What of the other Qui-Gon? If is there anything we can do for him?"

"Time is the only one who can heal his wounds."

* * *

Qui-Gon came to and he could not stop his tears. He held Dair close to him, wishing there was something ... anything he could do, but there was not. Miralee kept her distance, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Qui-Gon held his son’s body, and gently wrapped him in his brown cloak. He stood and walked, carrying his son to a nearby tree, placed the body down and cried. Miralee cried silently for both of them. Qui-Gon ignited out his lightsabre and began to dig a grave. Miralee came to him, and placed her arms around him. Qui-Gon disengaged the lightsabre and embraced her.

"I’m so .... I’m so sorry ..."

"It was Dair’s choice ..."

"I should have foreseen it ... I don’t care that I wasn’t meant to, I should have ..."

"It’s not your fault, Master Qui-Gon ... please don’t blame yourself ... Do you want me to help you?"

"You don’t if you do not wish to."

"I want to. I need to say my final goodbyes."

Qui-Gon nodded and swallowed. Miralee gently uncovered Dair’s face and kissed his still warm cheek, brushing a lock of hair from his face. "Goodbye my beloved. May you find peace in your next life." Softly Qui-Gon wiped her tears away.

Carefully he placed Dair’s body, wrapped up in his cloak into the grave. Miralee placed some fairy floss into the grave.

Qui-Gon smiled sadly. "He always loved that."

Miralee managed a sad chuckle and helped him cover up the grave. Qui-Gon placed a tree branch with red berries on it and knelt down, tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Farewell my son."

It was a long while before he stood. Dusk had began to set in. Miralee stood with him. She gathered her things. "I was coming to sleep over," she said. "Would you like me to stay with you?"

Qui-Gon turned to her. "You don’t have to."

"I want to, Master Qui-Gon. If there’s anything I can do to help... You have no one now..."

Gently he placed his arms around her. "Thank you, Miralee."

Slowly he began to walk toward his house, feeling empty and alone, despite Miralee’s presence and her support. He didn’t know why Maul took the bodies of his beloved and his two children, but they were gone, or so he thought.

He entered his home, and it felt like a void. He saw the dinner he’d been preparing for his family and broke down into tears once more. Miralee lead him to his room and sat him down on the bed. "Rest, Master Qui-Gon," she said. "I’ll help you."

Miralee brought him a glass of water. Qui-Gon practically sculled it and Miralee refilled it for him.

"Thank you ... You don't have to stay if-"

"I want to, Master Qui-Gon. Rest yourself."

The grieving Jedi Master lay down on the bed and fell into a dreamless sleep, while Miralee cleaned up the kitchen and put away the food. She was sure food was the last thing on Qui-Gon’s mind.

She grieved for Dair and the others as well, but wanted to do everything she could or

Qui-Gon in this difficult time.

* * *

Shmi and the children had regained consciousness.

"Where are you taking us?" Shmi spoke non confrontationally, as she feared for her children.

At first Maul did not answer.

"Why did you kill my father?" Thal demanded. "What did he ever do to you?"

Maul glared at the child. Shmi kept her son back. The little girl looked at Darth Maul inquisitively, but so intensely she gave Maul the shivers. Maul sensed that she somehow knew that he had not killed her father, but was unable to tell the others. She too seemed to ask him why, why he was doing this? He kept silent and grudgingly respected her.

"Why did you murder my betrothed? He could have killed you the first time you fought on Naboo, but he did not. And now you have your revenge, you do not look happy."

Maul hit her to the ground.

"Leave my mother alone!" Thal yelled, throwing a metal object at Maul.

The Sith Lord, more angry that he didn’t see it coming than the sharp pain, ignited his lightsabre. Thal stood in front of his mother and glared at Darth Maul with such intensity the Sith could do nothing but respect him and disengaged his sabre. Shmi looked relieved. Avalon started at Maul intensely as if she was trying to see into his soul. Maul found it most uncomfortable.

"Where are you taking us?" Shmi asked again, standing.

"Tatooine, Maul answered.

A feeling of dread overcame Shmi.

"I’m sure you are aquatinted with Watto."

Shmi swallowed. "You’re selling me back into slavery ... and my children?"

"They will remain with you."

Shmi breathed a sigh of relief. At least her children would be safe with her, but her beloved was gone, or so she thought.

 

 

End Part IV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

HIGHLANDS

 

Part V

 

 Pronunciations – Leka - (Leeka)

 

It was a while before Qui-Gon answered the door. Before him stood Padmé, her face full of sadness. She began to cry before she spoke and placed her arms around the Jedi Master. Gently he held her, his own tears flowing.

"I am *so* sorry..." Padmé sobbed.

"There was nothing you could have done."

"We could have had greater security, and-"

Qui-Gon sighed. "Maul had been planning his revenge for years, nothing could have kept him away ... I couldn’t even protect my own family..."

"Oh, Qui-Gon you can’t blame yourself..."

"Why didn’t I sense him...? I keep asking myself that ..."

"He kept his presence well hidden."

Sadly Qui-Gon nodded. "I don’t even know where he took them..."

Gently the Queen held his hand. "If there’s anything I can do for you, Master Qui-Gon ... If you’d like to live at the palace, I can arrange that, you must be so lonely here."

Qui-Gon gave a sad smile. "Thank you, Padmé, for your generosity, but my home if here, in the Highlands."

"What if Maul comes back?"

"He won’t. Not or a while."

"But ... when he does..."

"It’s all right ..."

"I feel I should be doing more for you. It isn’t right that you should suffer like this."

"It isn’t right that anyone should suffer, but unfortunately people do."

Padmé sighed. "I contacted Obi-Wan and told him what happened. He told me he sensed your pain. Have you heard from him?"

Qui-Gon shook his head. "No, he has not contacted me."

Padmé felt anger rising within her. How could Obi-Wan forsake Qui-Gon at a time like this?

Qui-Gon sensed her anger. "He’s still hurting. He has to deal with his pain."

"But he should have contacted you at least. Do you want me to-"

"No. We each have to deal with our pain the best way we know."

Padmé placed her arms around him again. "Don’t hesitate to call me if you nee anything."

"I wouldn’t mind a lift down to the markets. I’m not up to walking today."

Padmé smiled. "Of course," though she sensed he more wanted company.

People gathered around the Queen’s speeder, Panaka was most annoyed, but Queen Amidala just smiled.

"Thank you," Qui-Gon said.

"It’s my pleasure, Master Qui-Gon. Do you want us to wait for you?"

"No, I’ll be a while."

"I don’t mind. I just wish there was something more I can do."

The Jedi Master smiled and tool her hand. "Your kindness is enough. Thank you."

"My pleasure." She handed Qui-Gon a pad with a considerable amount of credits. "It’s the least I can do."

"But I can’t-"

"If you say ‘I can’t accept this’ then as your Queen I am going to have to order you."

Qui-Gon smiled. "Then I accept your gift, Padmé."

She smiled and kissed the Jedi Master’s cheek as she returned to her speeder, Panaka speeding back to the palace.

Qui-Gon received many condolences from people he knew and people he didn’t. He was overwhelmed by their kindness, but also overcome by sadness. He could barely buy the things he needed.

"We’ll help you, Master Qui-Gon," a little girl said. "My name’s Rina and this is my sister Aranna."

"Thank you." Qui-Gon could barely contain his tears.

The children helped him pick out a new cloak, much the same as his old one. They helped him with the shopping and persuaded him to buy something nice for himself and he settled on some purple and green bubblebath the girls had suggested, which was supposed to have magickal properties.

There was no shortage of lifts back to his house, again Qui-Gon was overwhelmed with compassion and the sadness of the people.

They helped him unpack at his house. Qui-Gon smiled sadly. It was nice to have children in his home again, even if they were not his own.

"Thank you," he said with a smile.

"It’s our pleasure. Is there anything else you need?"

"A bath with my new bubblebath," Qui-Gon said. It felt good to smile, despite his pain.

The girls smiled as they helped him tidy up.

"You don’t have to do that."

"We want to. You saved our world and you have lost so much."

The girls hugged him. Qui-Gon wiped a tear away, touched by their compassion.

The bath was wonderful. Qui-Gon had his doubts about the bubble bath, but it really was wonderful. In no way could it replace what he had lost, but it was something to help alleviate the pain.

* * *

The little girls often brought him gifts of food, including a salad made from Naboo mountain goat cheese, which he didn’t care for, but didn’t have the heart to say. They would also bring him Highland berries and help in his house and garden. Some of the older children would help as well. It was like magickal faeries helping him in times of need. He stopped feeling guilty about accepting the help and received this truly beautiful gift and helped them where he could. He felt relieved that he had people to talk to and felt more a part of the community. He met more and more wonderful people all willing to help him, but he still felt alone.

* * *

Qui-Gon swam skyclad in the lake, down the hill from his house. He found the Summer waters refreshing. He had been feeling lousy and decided to go for a dip. He felt guilty, as nothing could replace his lost family, but he realised his body and mind needed to be revitalised. He took a breath of fresh air, drank some of the crisp water, and swam underneath. Some small fish came to greet him as he swam. Gently he stroked a white Naboo Angel fish, before coming up for a breath of air. He saw some children coming down the lake and swam to the bank, hoping they didn’t see him.

"Master Qui-Gon," one of them said. "We were coming to see you."

He smiled, his head poking up from the water.

"Can you tell us a story?"

He nodded. "Can you hand me my robe?" He pointed to a frumpled chocolate brown robe.

The little girl ran to it and picked it up, handing it to him. The children turned around as he climbed out of the water and put on his robe, making sure the children didn’t peek. He pulled the robe around him.

"What story would you like to hear?"

"One with a happy ending!"

He smiled at the children.

"Tell us the one where you saved Naboo."

Qui-Gon smiled again and sat down. "You want to hear that story?"

"Yes!" The children chided. A Gungan girl looked shyly at him.

"All right ... Gather around ... It all started when the Jedi Council got an urgent transmission from Naboo, from Queen Amidala. My Padawan and I-"

"What’s a Padawan? Is it a furry animal?"

Qui-Gon smiled. "No. A Padawan is a Jedi word for apprentice. Obi-Wan was my apprentice and I was teaching him how to become a Jedi."

"Like you."

Qui-Gon nodded, although he didn’t feel like much of a Jedi. He felt he failed his family, Naboo the galaxy ... but the Force told him to trust and hard as it was, he did.

"And the Queen, her handmaidens an guards took over the palace, while myself and Obi-Wan fought Darth Maul."

One of the children scowled. "He’s mean. Someone should spank him."

Qui-Gon smiled. "Yes indeed."

"I bet he never lest anyone play with his toys either," another child said.

"I should think not," Qui-Gon said.

"I’m sorry for what he did to you," one girl said, hugging him.

"Thank you," Qui-Gon said, brushing a lock of scraggly hair from her face.

"There you all are!" A Naboo woman came over the hill. "I was wondering where you’d all gotten to.

"Qui-Gon’s been telling us a story."

A tall Gungan woman joined the Naboo woman. "Leka yousa Dar?"

"Mama!"

Qui-Gon stood. "I didn’t mean to cause any alarm," he said.

The Naboo woman smiled. "Don’t worry, you didn’t. Thanks for keeping them entertained."

Qui-Gon saw another Gungan come to them. "Jar Jar!"

"Quee-Gee!"

Qui-Gon chuckled as he embraced his friend. "I haven’t seen you in an age."

"Meesa ... so sowwy about Shmi and all da kiddies, Master Qui."

The Jedi Master smiled sadly. "Thank you Jar Jar."

The little Gungan girl tugged on Jar Jar’s shirt.

"Quee, disa Leka. Shesa may daughter."

"Jar Jar you never told me ..."

"Yousa always seem so busy ... and now with your children gone, Isa no want upset you."

"Oh Jar Jar I’m never too busy to see a friend." Qui-Gon placed his arms around him. "And thank you for your concern."

The Gungan woman came to them.

"Disa LiLi, shesa may bond."

Qui-Gon smiled. "Congratulations."

LiLi shook hands with Qui-Gon. Leka threw her arms around him. The Jedi Master gently held her hand.

"You don’t have to be a stranger, Jar Jar."

"Mesa know dat now. Yousa come Gungan city."

"I will." Qui-Gon promised.

* * *

As he promised he visited Jar Jar on numerous occasions and was surprised to find he had as many friends underwater as he had above water. They treated him like a king.

"Yousa saved ousa world, Master Quee-Gon."

"I did what I could," he said, wishing he could have saved his family.

 

* * *

"They’re gorgeous."

Qui-Gon smiled as he held Queen Amidala’s newborn twins.

"I’m going to call them Luke and Leia."

"Beautiful names."

"I know I have to keep them hidden from Anakin ... But he’s not Anakin anymore, is he?"

Qui-Gon took a breath.

"I don’t blame you, Master Qui-Gon. You weren’t to know things would turn out this way."

He sighed to himself. "Nevertheless we must keep him from knowing."

"I’ve contacted Obi-Wan. In a few weeks he’ll be coming here to take them ... I’ll miss my babies so much ..."

Gently Qui-Gon handed them back to their mother. "I wish things were different."

* * *

"Obi-Wan," Padmé said, turning to him in full regal gear.

"I’m sorry, your Highness, but it’s for the safety of the children."

"I know that, but before I give them to you, there is one thing you must do."

* * *

Qui-Gon finished washing his dishes and tending to his plants. He went to answer the door when he heard a knock. He hadn’t been expecting visitors, but welcomed them all the same as he opened his door and stared. Obi-Wan stood before him. Slightly older, his hair longer and he no longer wore his Padawan braid.

The two Jedi stood there and kept eye contact with each other. Qui-Gon suddenly embraced his former Padawan and held him tight. Obi-Wan was somewhat surprised.

"Master ..."

Qui-Gon held tighter.

"Master ... you’re crushing me ..."

"Sorry ... I ..."

"It’s not like I’m going to run off," he said, sensing Qui-Gon’s thoughts.

"Thank you for coming. It means a lot, Obi-Wan."

The younger Jedi took a breath. "I feel I must tell you the truth. I came to take the twins."

"I know that."

"I wasn’t planning on seeing you, but Queen Amidala insisted."

"She did?

"She told me she wouldn’t let me take the twins until I saw you."

Qui-Gon managed a small smile.

"I almost turned back when I got to the hill, but I’m glad I didn’t."

Qui-Gon was relieved.

"I know you’re hurt, Master and I don't blame you ... I can’t tell you how sorry I am for what happened."

"Why didn’t you even call?"

Obi-Wan knew this was coming and he knew he deserved it. "I didn’t know what to say."

Qui-Gon sat down. "He took everything from me ... My beloved, my children ... I haven’t been able to leave Naboo to help those in need .... I can’t even help myself..."

"Master, I’m so sorry ... I’m dealing with my own pain ... I didn’t know how to deal with yours too." Obi-Wan couldn’t stop his tears. Gently Qui-Gon dried them.

The younger Jedi placed his arms around his old Master.

"I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you, I didn’t know how to be ..."

"You’re here now," Qui-Gon said softly, holing him.

"Master, I’m so sorry ..."

"Shh ..." Qui-Gon sat down with him, cradling him and he thanked the Universe that someone he cared about was so close to him. Obi-Wan was overwhelmed by his Master’s compassion and love, despite what had happened.

"Don’t feel ashamed, Obi-Wan. I realise now you were dealing with your pain the only way you knew, but now we can help each other. I know you have to go back to Tatooine with the children, but for now let’s cherish the time we have."

"Thank you ... I don’t know if I could be so forgiving in your place."

Qui-Gon smiled warmly.

"There was once when I answered your call," Obi-Wan said. "It was two days after Maul killed ..." he paused. "You pleaded me to help you. You were thinking of turning your lightsabre on yourself ... Remember that white dove that flew past and gave you hope?"

"You did that?"

Obi-Wan nodded.

"Thank you ... I didn’t know what to do ... Seeing the dove, it helped."

"I’m glad, but I should have been there for you."

"You’re here now."

Qui-Gon embraced his former Padawan.

"I’m thinking of taking Leia to Alderaan," Obi-Wan said. "Bail Organa has agreed to take care of her. It’ll be safer if they’re not in the same place."

"Agreed," Qui-Gon said. "I don't foresee any danger, though I do foresee Luke becoming a Jedi."

"We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it."

A hairy creature bounded into Qui-Gon’s house, making happy noises.

"Pooka!" Obi-Wan exclaimed. "What are you doing here? ... She must have followed me here."

Qui-Gon looked amused.

"It’s a long story," Obi-Wan said.

"The longer it is it the longer you stay."

Obi-Wan smiled. "Well ... it was a hot day on Tatooine."

"Is there any other type of day on Tatooine?"

Obi-Wan chucked. "Hotter than usual. I was on my way home when I saw this stall with a live pooka. I needed something to have with my vegetables, so I bought it. They offered to kill it for me, but I figured I could do that, so I took it home in the cage. I opened the cage when I got home and the pooka leapt out and began rampaging around the house. I saw by her markings that she was female and she looked really excited. She jumped on me, making all sorts of noises, but I wasn’t in the mood. I began to cook the vegetables, fully planning on cooking the pooka, but when it came to the time, those eyes, that smile, that excitement, the innocence ... Master, I just couldn’t do it."

"Looks like I’m rubbing off on you after all."

Obi-Wan smiled. "So I ate my vegetables with her."

"Isn’t that what you were planning to do?"

"I guess it was ... She’s been a constant companion, a handful sometimes, but I’m glad I found her."

"The Force works in mysterious ways, Obi-Wan."

The young Padawan placed his arms around his Master and Pooka jumped on them. Qui-Gon laughed. "She is rather cute."

 

* * *

Even though Obi-Wan had returned to Tatooine, Qui-Gon felt some of his burden lift.

The younger Jedi had dealt with his pain and although he was still hurting, none of the bitterness had remained and Qui-Gon was glad to note he had kicked the Death Stick habit. Qui-Gon was hurting too, the loss of his Jedi friends, of his beloved family, the take over of the Galaxy by the Empire ... He felt powerless to stop it.

* * *

Qui-Gon cried himself to sleep more times than he cared to poke his lightsabre at. He missed holding Shmi so much it made him ache. He missed holding his children, eating with them, playing with them, teaching them. Tonight was no different. Even the magickal bubblebath did little to alleviate the pain.

* * *

Thal held his mother as she cried. He was grateful he was there for her and she for him. He didn’t think either of them could make it on their own. Since Avalon had died a few months previously, things had become harder. Both Thal and Shmi sensed she had been trying to tell them something, but were never quite sure what. His mother’s cries pierced him and he began to cry himself.

* * *

Qui-Gon shopped at the markets. He was sure the children somehow had found out he didn’t like Naboo mountain goat cheese, because they hadn’t brought him that particular salad in ages.

The Jedi Master turned around and stared. A beautiful dress hung up on a hangar and he knew Shmi would have loved it and so on an impulse, he bought it. He had no idea why he bought it, he just felt he had to.

That night he ha a dream about her. Thal was there too. He danced with his beloved in their living room and through the house, holding each other close.

He awoke peacefully, smiling. A tear rolled down his cheek, it felt so real.

* * *

Shmi danced with Qui-Gon through the house, holding him. His rams gently around her as he kissed her lovingly.

She awoke peacefully, smiling and a tear rolled down her cheek.

"I had a dream about Father," Thal said coming into her room. "You were dancing with him in our house on Naboo."

"I had the same dream," she said in amazement. "He bought me a new dress at the markets and I was wearing it. If felt so real ... I wish it was ..."

* * *

Meanwhile elsewhere in the Galaxy Darth Maul paced around his Infiltrator. He sensed the pain of both Qui-Gon and his family, as he had done many times before and wondered why it was not filling him with a sense of satisfaction and glee. He sensed their intense sorrow and almost heard their cries. Why was he not happy? It had been over three years since he had taken Shmi and the children from him. He wanted Qui-Gon to suffer forever.

However for some reason tonight he couldn’t sleep, he tossed and turned and his pillow was torn to shreds. He sat up in a huff, again sensing Qui-Gon’s pain and the pain of his family. There was one thing to do, he decided. Finish the job. Qui-Gon wouldn’t suffer anymore, but Maul realised he still wanted to kill him.

* * *

Qui-Gon awoke late that morning. He saw his pillow was wet with tears and his face was too. He took a long breath and went for a long hot shower. It rejuvenated him a little. He craved his family and tried to sense them, but came blank. Reluctantly, he got something to eat.

He lay on the sofa for an hour, and made no plans to get up.

Darth Maul made his way up the hill unnoticed. He planned to kill the Jedi Master and then his trouble would be over, or so he thought.

He burst into Qui-Gon’s home and glared at his enemy.

Qui-Gon barely looked up. "I’ve been expecting you. What took you so damned long?"

"I’ve come to rip out your liver, Jedi!" Maul snarled.

Qui-Gon stood. "Take it."

Maul blinked.

"You want my liver? Take it."

This was not the response the Sith Lord had expected.

"What are you waiting for?" Qui-Gon asked as he approached Maul.

Maul said nothing, quite surprised at the Jedi’s response.

"If you’re not going to kill me, then ..." He grabbed Maul’s lightsabre and pressed the butt to his stomach and began pressing the red buttons. "How does this damned thing work?" Qui-Gon was almost sobbing.

Maul grabbed it back. "You could have killed yourself!" he snapped.

"That was the idea and since when did you become so concerned for my welfare?"

This wasn’t the response Maul was expecting either.

"So are you going to kill me or what?" Qui-Gon asked.

"You’re not going to fight me, are you?"

"What’s the point? You’d win anyway, I haven’t touched my lightsabre in years, my skills are a little rusty and besides what the hell have I got to live for anyway?" Qui-Gon took a long drink.

"This isn’t what I was expecting," Maul admitted aloud.

"What did you expect? A noble Jedi fighting to the end?"

"Something like that."

"Sorry to disappoint you, but hey look on the bright side, you can still kill me and be home in time for supper ... which reminds me..."

Qui-Gon walked to his kitchen and turned off a pot on the stove. "I was making a pot of pumpkin soup. I suppose the least I could do is offer you some."

"Soup."

"What were you expecting?"

"Not soup."

Maul lowered his lightsabre. This wasn’t what he was expecting at all.

"Aren’t you in the least bit angry?" he asked.

Qui-Gon glared at him. "Of course I’m angry!" he snapped. "You murdered my entire family! Most everyone I held dear, my beloved, my beautiful children. But if I came after you with blood in my eyes, I’d be no better than you." Qui-Gon paused. "I buried Dair where that blue berry bush now stands. He was only twelve."

"Those children are stealing your berries," Maul pointed out.

"I planted them to share."

"I watched Dair, from time to time," Maul said.

"I didn’t sense you."

"I kept my presence well hidden."

Qui-Gon offered him a glass of water. "It’s not poisoned."

"I know. I would have sensed it." He took a sip. "That Dair child was a selfish brat."

"He was trying at times, and that was my challenge."

"He was the spiting image of you. Your hair, your eyes..."

"At least he had his mother’s nose."

Maul gave a smile. "And in the end, he had your courage." He paused before he spoke. "That blade was meant for you."

"I know ... But you felt it would hurt me more to murder my family."

Maul said nothing for a while. "So you have done nothing for almost four years."

"What could I do? Jedi aren’t exactly safe in the Universe anymore. I’m almost surprised your old Master hasn’t paid me a visit."

"He’s afraid of you. Can’t imagine why."

"Afraid of me ... That’s interesting. He’s probably been too busy ripping his cape open, showing the Universe how big it is."

Maul laughed. "If only they knew."

Qui-Gon smiled mischievously. "You mean it’s-"

"Minute. I’ve seen Ewoks with bigger ones. Don’t tell a soul I said that. He’d kill me."

"Not like I can since you’re going to kill me... About that. I have some final requests. First I want all the food in the house taken to the village. I want a sign placed on the door thanking the people for their hospitality and saying that I have left Naboo and the house is donated to the village. I also want the fish in the tank placed back into the lake. Be careful with the little white one. She’s very shy. Promise me you won’t eat them."

"I won’t eat your fish, Jedi."

"I think that’s about all. My body should disappear so you won’t have to worry about that. I will miss this place though, but I guess I can return, I’d be a spirit after all ... but first I promised you some soup."

Qui-Gon picked up a ladle and a bowl and poured Maul some creamy pumpkin soup. The Sith was about to refuse when he decided ‘what the hell’ and sat down to eat it, sensing no deception from the Jedi.

"Nice soup," Maul said, handing Qui-Gon back the empty bowl.

"Thank you. I’ve had years to perfect the recipe. So after you kill me what are you planning to-"

Maul rammed the butt of his lightsabre into Qui-Gon’s stomach. Before the Jedi Master realised he hadn’t been run through, Maul backhanded him across his face, rendering the Jedi Master unconscious. Qui-Gon collapsed to the floor. Maul began to drag him. The Jedi Master was surprisingly light. Maul picked him up and placed him onto the sofa.

"Sweet dreams, Qui-Gon."

And the Sith left the house, shaking his head. He couldn’t work out whether he hated the Jedi or not. He wanted to, but there was something about that Jedi Master ... and Maul knew what he must do.

* * *

"You can’t have them..." Watto complained.

"They are mine," Maul hissed. "You had them on the understanding that they were on loan."

Watto looked ready to protest again. Maul drew his lightsabre and ignited it.

Watto withdrew. "Easy ... They’re yours."

"Thank you," Maul hissed.

* * *

"You have been sold to a new Master," Maul said. "Off planet."

Shmi looked worried.

Maul regarded her. "Your child will be safe," he said.

Shmi calmed, though she was still anxious.

"How much did our new Master pay for us?" Thal inquired, curious.

"Thal ..." Shmi said, not wanting to stir the pot.

"Enough," Maul answered.

 

* * *

Obi-Wan couldn’t stop crying as he held Pooka’s body in his arms. Gently Qui-Gon comforted him and helped his bury her.

"I keep telling myself ‘There is no Death. There is the Force.’"

"And does it help?"

"Sometimes, but I miss them so much ..."

Obi-Wan placed his arms around his Master. "Ohh, Master I’m so sorry ..."

"What for, Obi-Wan?"

"Master, your entire family was killed and I ignored you. My pooka dies and you come halfway across the galaxy. How could I have been such a bastard?"

"Obi-Wan, you were dealing with your pain the only way you knew. I forgive you."

The younger Jedi placed his arms around his former Master. "Will I ever learn to be as loving as you?"

"Only if you want to be." Qui-Gon returned the embrace.

* * *

Shmi and Thal entered the shuttlepod and Maul jettisoned it. It had no windows and he had entered the flight path in code and so they had no idea where they were headed, though for some reason they were not afraid.

 

* * *

"Come back to Naboo with me, even if it’s only for a week," Qui-Gon said. "Luke is safe with Owen and Beru and Leia is safe on Alderaan and you could use some company and a hug."

Obi-Wan smiled. "All right, let me pack a few things and lock up.

* * *

"Strange, Qui-Gon said as a shuttlepod landed outside. "I wasn’t expecting visitors." He sensed no danger and went outside to greet them.

The pod opened and a ramp extended. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon got a closer look and stared. Shmi stood there, her mouth open and Thal joined her. Slowly Qui-Gon approached, scarcely able to believe his eyes.

"My Gods ..."

"He didn’t kill ..." Shmi started to say.

"He didn’t kill you ...."

Shmi shook her head. "He took us back into slavery on Tatooine ..."

Some part of Qui-Gon felt angry, the other part ecstatic to have his wife and child back. He threw his arms around her, holding her gently, then embraced Thal.

"You’ve grown so much ..."

Thal smiled and embraced his father.

"Avalon died on Tatooine," Shmi said. "There was nothing I could do ... she became deathly ill and I-"

Qui-Gon held her again. "It wasn’t your fault."

"I realise now, she was always trying to tell us something. She knew. She knew Maul didn’t kill you ... and we never understood what she was trying to say..."

Qui-Gon dried his beloved’s tears.

"...Dair?" Shmi asked hopefully.

Qui-Gon shook his head. "He took Maul’s blade for me."

He took Shmi and Thal to Dair’s grave. "A hard as it was for me, I realise it was his destiny."

Shmi took her beloved’s hand.

"I should have sensed you, but I was too caught up in my own grief," Qui-Gon said.

"We all were ..."

Obi-Wan took Shmi’s other hand. "We were on the same planet ... If anyone were to sense you it should have been me, but I was too angry with the Universe ... Master ... Shmi, I’m so sorry ..."

The four embraced one and other.

"We have all learned a valuable lesson today," Qui-Gon said, holding his loved ones close, never again to take anything for granted.

Qui-Gon dried Obi-Wan’s tears.

"It’s a miracle, Master ..."

"I know, and you know I’m not your Master anymore..."

Obi-Wan smiled. "Yes you are."

Qui-Gon embraced him. "I only wish I hadn’t spent the last four years moping."

"No one can blame you for that."

"But I could have dome so much more."

"And you still can, Master. Think of today as a new beginning."

Qui-Gon smiled. "Yes, Master."

Obi-Wan returned his Master’s smile.

Qui-Gon held Shmi close to him, grateful for the precious gift of life.

//Darth Maul, wherever you are, thank you.//

Maul received Qui-Gon’s message loud and clear. //Why are you thanking me, Jedi?"//

//For giving my family back.//

//Are you forgetting it was I who took them in the first place and two of your children are no longer-//

//Yes, but you didn’t have to give them back.//

//Yes, Jedi, I did.//

//Thank you.//

//I will never understand you.//

Qui-Gon smiled.

For the first time in years, Darth Maul got a decent night’s sleep.

The Jedi Master held Shmi close. "I missed holding you so much ... there were times when I craved it like you wouldn’t believe."

"I believe ... I had the same craving ... There were times when you felt so close ... One night I had a dream that you bought me a dress at the markets and we danced..."

Qui-Gon stared at her. "I had the same dream ... and I really did buy you that dress."

He opened the cupboard and showed her. "I couldn’t resist it."

Shmi’s eyes filled with tears. "It was real .... The Force was trying to tell us something ... And next time let’s hope we listen more closely."

Qui-Gon held her gently. Thal entered the room.

"Daddy, can I sleep with you and mummy tonight?"

"Sure you can." Qui-Gon made room for his son and gently embraced him.

Shmi kissed her beloved’s cheek. "I miss your silent breathing, watching you while you sleep, you’re so peaceful."

Qui-Gon smiled gently and lay down, embracing both his child and his beloved, grateful for the Living Force for this beautiful, sacred gift.

 

End Part V

 

Pooka by Max, colour by Seawave

 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

HIGHLANDS

Part VI

 

Pronunciations - Lóreii (Lore-eye); Oran (O-ran short ‘o and a’); Lyssa (Li-ssa – short i)

 

The people of Naboo were both happy and sad for Qui-Gon. Although he missed Dair, Avalon, and Bela, he was over the moon to have Shmi and Thal back, to hold them again and to be held by his beloved family again.

* * *

Qui-Gon answered the door to see Queen Amidala and Obi-Wan.

Gently, the Queen took Qui-Gon’s hand. "Although we miss Avalon, we are so happy for you, Qui-Gon."

"Thank you, Padmé."

Obi-Wan embraced his Master and in turn, Shmi. The younger Jedi bent down and held Thal in his arms. "You’ve grown up so much."

"You really think so?"

Kenobi nodded. Qui-Gon smiled, although the smile was tainted with sadness for missing four years of his son’s life.

"So Darth Maul took your family to Tatooine and sold them into slavery?"

Qui-Gon nodded, "but he also brought them back."

"Master, he murdered Dair and Avalon died because of his actions."

Qui-Gon looked at his Padawan. "And I miss my children terribly. I can’t deny that I wasn’t angry, but I could not let that anger control me, otherwise I’d be no better than him.

Do not let your anger control you, Padawan."

Obi-Wan took a deep breath. "I still don’t understand how you could have forgiven him, Master."

"Perhaps you will in time."

* * *

The people of Naboo noticed the colour had returned to Qui-Gon’s face and he was more frequently seen out and about, at the markets and other places, sometimes by himself, other times with his family.

And life on Naboo continued as normal.

* * *

Thal sat with his mother and father in the living room.

"Why do I get the feeling I’m not going to like what you have to say?" Qui-Gon said. "Whatever you’ve done, I still love you."

Thal chuckled. "It’s not that, Father, it’s something I want to do, but I feel I must ask you and mother. I have given it much thought and I know the risks involved."

"Something tells me this is more dangerous than ice skating with snow snakes."

Thal smiled. "It can be ... " He paused. "Mother ... Father ... I want to join the Rebellion."

The words sank in. Another pause followed.

"It is a worthy cause," Qui-Gon said, "and you say you’re aware of the risks."

"I’ll understand if you don’t want me to, but I have been thinking about it for the last five years now and I have decided that that’s what I want to do. I am fourteen years old now and I believe I can make a difference. I realise the danger, but the Empire needs to be stopped."

"I agree," Qui-Gon said "and I’d be selfish if I forbade you."

Shmi nodded. "It is dangerous, but if that’s your path, then you must follow it."

Thal embraced his parents. "Thank you ... I won’t let the universe down, I promise."

He paused for a while. "I’m embarrassed to say I’ve been meeting with some rebels in private ... I didn’t know how you would take it ... so ..."

"I understand," Qui-Gon said. "But I would like to meet them before you go."

* * *

A young rebel greeted Qui-Gon and his family.

"I’m Wedge Antilles. Your son is in good hands, Mr Jinn."

"Please, call me Qui-Gon."

He looked at the other rebels, they all looked so young. Not one was over eighteen.

The youths dined with Qui-Gon and he gave them some supplies.

"Thank you," Wedge said. "We need all we can get."

"It’s my pleasure," the Jedi Master said. "And also, do not give into fear, as Darth Sidious will sense it. Do not give in to anger, as that will be your downfall. Believe in peace and freedom as that is what you are fighting for."

Wedge nodded. "Thank you, Qui-Gon and May The Force Be With You."

"And Also With You."

Before Thal left, Qui-Gon put his hands on his son’s shoulders.

"I know, don’t give in to fear, hatred and anger."

The Jedi Master smiled and embraced his son. . "Take care of yourself, please ... I don’t want to lose my only son..."

Thal wiped a tear away from Qui-Gon’s cheek.

"I will, Father, I promise."

Before he left, Thal embraced both his parents before departing with his rebel friends to their base on Dantooine.

Shmi and Qui-Gon held one and other.

"When will the Universe be free?" she asked.

The Jedi Master took a breath. "It will come to pass," he said, "let us hope it is soon."

* * *

Thal had been gone for a year now and although Qui-Gon missed his son, he was proud of him. From time to time Thal would write, though he would write in code, hence the letters be intercepted by the Empire.

* * *

Qui-Gon poured himself a glass of water and slowly drank it, grateful for the refreshing liquid. He smiled warmly as he sensed Shmi come into the kitchen. His head cocked slightly to one side as he sensed something else. He put his water down and smiled.

"So, did you have a good night’s sleep? Would you like some breakfast?"

Shmi chuckled. "I know that look. I’m pregnant, aren’t I?"

Qui-Gon looked innocent.

"Why do you always act like I’m going to kill you? It’s a beautiful thing, but I don’t understand how it could have happened. I’m well over forty."

The Jedi Master smiled. "Never question a miracle."

* * *

Over the next few months, Qui-Gon fussed over Shmi like you would not believe.

She chucked softly. "I’m so grateful to have such a loving partner."

Gently he kissed her cheek. "As am I."

"So you know what gender the baby is going to be?"

"No, I wanted a surprise this time so I didn’t check either of their genders."

"Twins?"

Qui-Gon smiled and nodded. Gently Shmi hugged him.

* * *

Shmi held her son in her arms and Qui-Gon held his daughter. They had given birth to fraternal twins.

"They’re beautiful," Padmé said. "Can I hold her?"

Qui-Gon gently handed his daughter to the Queen. Obi-Wan gently played with Shmi’s son’s hand.

"They’re so lovely, Master."

"I miss Luke and Leia so much ..." Padmé said sadly.

"I know," Qui-Gon said, placing his hand on her shoulder, "but there will come a time when you will be reunited with them."

"Thank you ... What are you going to call her?" she asked.

"Lóreii."

Padmé smiled. "Naboosian for Peace."

"I named my son Oran," Shmi said, "as you know, Naboo for green. It’s always so green in the Highlands, so beautiful."

Padmé smiled warmly. "It certainly is."

* * *

One night, Qui-Gon awoke with a chilling shiver. He sensed no danger around and his family was safe. He sat up in bed and did his best to calm himself. He sensed the danger was abroad, a planet in peril and he realised what was happening. He climbed out of bed quietly as not to disturb Shmi and walked into the meditation room. The Jedi Master knelt down.

//Anakin...//

It was a while before he was answered.

//That is no longer my name.//

//You cannot do this.//

//I have the power to do anything.//

//There are millions of innocent lives at stake, Please, Anakin//

//Begging, Qui-Gon?//

//If I have to beg to save this world, Anakin then I will.//

//I *told* you, that is no *longer* my name, or do you cling to the false hope that I will someday, somehow find good within myself?//

//It was there once, Anakin.//

//No longer.//

A pause followed.

//If you wish this planet to be spared, Qui-Gon, address me by my proper name and title.//

Qui-Gon Jinn took a breath. //Very well, Darth Vader, I implore you not to destroy this world.//

//Very good, Qui-Gon, but do you truly believe I am a Lord of the Sith, or did you just say my true name to save-//

//You were about to destroy a beautiful planet with millions of innocent men, women, children and not to mention wildlife. Anakin is dead.//

Vader didn’t know why a cold shiver shot up his spine at that moment, but for whatever reason, he decided to spare the world.

The people of Alderaan had no idea how close they had come to destruction.

Qui-Gon took a deep breath of both relief and sadness. He had saved a world, but he grieved for the lost soul of Anakin Skywalker.

* * *

Qui-Gon got into a mad tickle frenzy with his son, for the time being, forgetting all the troubles of the Universe. He sensed a strange presence and looked up. A feeling of dread overcame him.

"Daddy?"

Qui-Gon smiled. "Your mother’s come back early," he said. "You’d better get into bed and don’t tell her we were up this late."

Oran giggled as he pulled the covers over himself.

Qui-Gon left the room to confront his fear, which he id his best to keep under control.

Darth Maul sat in the living room.

"You should keep your door locked."

"Usually it’s not necessary ... If you have come here to fight, I must ask you to return when my children are grown. They need me right now."

Maul stood. "That’s very noble of you, but I have not come here to fight."

Qui-Gon relaxed.

"I have come here to ... talk ..." Maul said.

Qui-Gon sensed the Sith was uncomfortable.

"Would you like some tea?" he asked.

"Yes ... thank you ..." Maul said after a pause.

"So what do you want to talk about?" Qui-Gon asked as they both sipped some sweet fruit tea.

"It’s ... rather .... private ... and I’d rather discuss it aboard my Infiltrator."

Qui-Gon sensed no deception and his curiosity piqued.

Maul sensed another presence and looked around to see Oran standing by the doorway.

"Please don’t hurt my Daddy."

The child’s innocence was so blunt it surprised him.

"I have not come to fight," Maul said, feeling uncomfortable.

"He just wants to talk to me," Qui-Gon assured. "I’m going to go to his ship for a while."

"Daddy ..."

"It’s going to be all right, trust me. Can you look after your sister while I’m gone, if she wakes up?"

Oran came to his father. "I don’t want you to go."

Qui-Gon knelt down. "It’ll be all right, I promise you."

"I trust you, Father, but I don’t trust him."

Qui-Gon smiled and took his son’s hand. "Remember what I told you about fear? You need to be brave."

Oran took a breath. "At least take your lightsabre."

"That won’t be necessary."

"Father, please."

"Take it," Maul said. "It will keep his mind at ease."

"All right," Qui-Gon said, "but I won’t need to use it."

"Take care, Father, and May The Force Be With You."

"And Also With You, Little One."

* * *

"So, what do you want to talk about?" Qui-Gon asked, his curiosity piqued.

Maul mumbled something unintelligible.

"Sorry, I didn’t quite catch that."

"Love, Jedi, I want you to teach me how to love."

Qui-Gon was taken aback. "...Well this isn’t quite what I was expecting. Why me?"

"Despite what happened between us ... It’s been said your compassion and love is legendary and you’re the only one I feel I can trust." //The only one I can turn to.//

"Well ... I’m flattered, really ... but love isn’t something one can teach. It’s a feeling, an emotion."

"I know that and I have read the definition in more dictionaries than I care to poke my lightsabre at. I have read 57 romance novels and they all made me sick!"

"You won’t experience the meaning of love from a dictionary or a romance novel. Let me give you an example. When you feel love for someone..."

"I know, you worry about them, care for them ... Want to be with them all the time. I’m not an imbecile, Jedi, I know what love is."

"So you know what love is. Which means you don't need me anymore. Can I go home now? My son is worried about me."

"I haven’t got a clue what love is," Maul mumbled.

"Ironic, a Jedi teaching a Sith Lord how to love."

"Technically I’m not a Sith Lord anymore. The old bastard kicked me out when his new toy boy came along."

"I assume you mean Vader."

Maul nodded. "Well they don’t bother me, I don’t bother them."

"I’m surprised neither of them have paid me a visit."

"He’s scared of you." Maul said.

"Of me? Why?"

Maul shrugged. "That’s a rare asset. As long as my master fears you for whatever reason, you’re safe."

"That’s comforting to know ... Now let’s talk about you. At least it’s a step in the right direction," Qui-Gon said. Not so long ago, hate was the only thing you knew."

"My life is going nowhere. I feel so stagnant. The only thing I know how to do is fight, but there is no one to fight. Nothing to fight for."

"The rebels would disagree."

"You really think they have a chance? In some ways I admire them to standing up to my old Master. Something I could never do."

"All right then, let’s do something you’re comfortable with." The Jedi Master stood. "Up for a sparring match?"

Maul smiled. "So you did need your lightsabre after all." He held up his weapon. "One side or both?"

"Your choice."

Maul ignited both sides. The Jedi slowly ignited his blade and the two began to spar.

Green and red blades clashed and whirred through the air. Qui-Gon blocked Maul’s blow and the Sith blocked Qui-Gon’s. It was a novel experience for Maul, fighting without wanting to kill his opponent, even more ironic his opponent was a Jedi Master.

Again, Qui-Gon blocked his blow, knocked him off his feet and held his green blade at Maul’s throat.

"Damn you," Maul said. "You’re more than twice my age and you still fight like you were in your twenties."

"Thanks for the compliment."

The Jedi helped the Sith up. "You really want to know what love is?"

"Yes, I do."

Qui-Gon sat down and Maul sat next to him.

"All right, picture this scenario. You are holding your baby daughter in your arms for the first time. Her tiny hand clasps around your little finger and she looks into your eyes. That’s the meaning of love."

"That’s a hypothetical situation, Jedi and you haven’t taught me how to-"

"That’s something you have to discover yourself, Darth Maul."

"Somehow I knew you’d say that and my name is Aren, or it was before I become a Sith."

Qui-Gon stood. "May The Force Be With You."

He barely heard Maul whisper, "and also with you."

Oran hugged his father tightly upon his return. "Did you need your lightsabre?"

"Well we did have a sparring match, but none of us got hurt."

"What did you talk about?"

"Much of it was private, but I have a feeling he’s on the right track now."

"You really think so?"

"As unlikely as it may seem, sometimes even the worst can change for the better."

* * *

In secret, Qui-Gon trained his two children to be Jedi. Obi-Wan kept him apprised of Luke and Leia’s adventures. Qui-Gon often provided the Rebel Alliance with information and gave them boosts of the Force to help them on their way. Obi-Wan had almost been killed on the Death Star by Darth Vader, but he had been rescued by Luke and a young pilot named Han Solo. Qui-Gon sensed that Obi-Wan had great hopes for Luke, and hoped to help train him to make up for what he considered to be his failure with Anakin.

* * *

Qui-Gon sat up in bed one night, smiling, sensing the new life.

//I told you.//

//I thought it was just a hypothetical... You foresaw this?//

//Yes. And don’t get too mad with her when she almost accidentally blows up the ship when she’s eight.//

Aboard his Infiltrator somewhere in space, Maul smiled. //You were right// he said as he held his red and black baby daughter in his arms. //Thank you.//

Qui-Gon smiled.

//I don’t know how you could have forgiven me, Qui-Gon. If anyone hurt Lyssa, I would not hesitate to skin them alive and feast upon their innards.//

//Well ... At least it’s a step in the right direction.//

//I do not think I will ever become as compassionate as you.//

//We’re both very different people. I don’t expect you to become like me. I am happy for you and your daughter. Who is her mother?//

//Her mother was a young ... pleasure girl I rescued from Tatooine. I tried to love her, but for some reason I never could. She died a few hours ago during childbirth, but your were right. When Lyssa looked into my eyes ...///

Qui-Gon smiled. //I’m glad.//

Gently he laid his head down on his pillow, while the ex-Sith Lord began to learn about love and fatherhood.

* * *

Qui-Gon visited Yoda on Dagobah.

"Difficult to see when this war will end," the small Jedi said.

"I sense it will," Qui-Gon told him, "but why do so many people have to suffer and die?"

"Difficult to say also. Lessons we all have to learn. Sometimes, the best teacher suffering is."

Qui-Gon nodded. "It’s a pity we can’t all learn and live in a peaceful Universe."

"Come to pass one day that will, but for no, learn to work in the Universe we have we will."

"Yes, Master Yoda, but I will strive for peace."

"As will I."

* * *

Qui-Gon often sensed Luke and Leia and gave them silent encouragement. He encouraged the Rebel Alliance and often sensed Thal. He knew his eldest son may die, but Qui-Gon understood Thal’s destiny. He knew the risks, as did his father.

* * *

Qui-Gon sat in his meditation room, breathing quietly. He had sensed Yoda’s passing. A tear rolled slowly down his cheek.

//Lived a long life have I, Qui-Gon. Elsewhere it is time for me to go. Come to pass will peace. Grieve for me not.//

"Yes, Master Yoda. May The Force Be With You."

//And Also With You.//

* * *

The Empire was cracking down on worlds who were reported supporting the rebels and the punishments were severe.

The Jedi Master heard word of the Rebels’ plans to foil the Empire’s plans to build a new and more powerful Death Star. He only hoped their dangerous plan worked. He gave them all the Force support they needed.

The ordeal only lasted a few days, but it seemed like much longer. Qui-Gon felt every setback and triumph. He barely left his meditation room and was often joined by his family.

With a great sense of relief, he sensed the Emperor’s death. He hated to feel this way, about the ending of a life, but Darth Sidious had caused so much death, destruction and suffering, he had to answer for it. Qui-Gon wiped tears away as he sensed Luke bring Anakin back, just before the other passed to the Other Side.

The Jedi Master sensed the Rebels’ victory and the Empires’ defeat. The Universe was truly free.

 

 

End Part VI

~~~~~~~~

 

On to final parts VII - IX

 

Back to Qui-Gon Page