Disclaimers in Parts 1-3

 

Pronunciations: Mréka (M-rea-ka)

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

HIGHLANDS

 

Part VII

 

 

 

"Can you ever forgive me?" the spirit asked, his eyes pleading, in tears.

Qui-Gon smile warmly. "Of course I will forgive you, Anakin ... But You will have to answer for what you did."

"I know that and I accept it ... Luke saved me, Qui-Gon. My son saved me"

"I know, I sensed it. Deep down I have always hoped there was some good still left in you."

Anakin’s spirit smiled gently. "There was, though I never knew it ... But you always knew... I thank you for your forgiveness, Qui-Gon Jinn, but I do not know if I can ever forgive myself for what I have done, for betraying you, Obi-Wan and ..." Anakin stared as Shmi walked to them.

"Mother ..."

"Oh Ani ..." Shmi wiped a tear away. "I forgive you ... but as Qui-Gon said, you must answer for what you have done."

The spirit nodded. "To have your forgiveness has heartened me. I can only hope Obi-Wan can do the same."

"He will," came a voice.

Obi-Wan Kenobi entered the abode with Luke and Leia. "Though I cannot say I was not hurt, even shocked, by what you did, but if I cannot find it in my heart to forgive you, than I do not deserve to call myself a Jedi."

"Thank you," Anakin’s spirit said. "I must leave now. There is much I need to do."

In a sparkle, he disappeared.

"Who would ever have thought Darth Vader would turn?" Leia said.

"Stranger things may have happened," Obi-Wan said. "Who ever thought a little innocent boy would turn out to *be* Darth Vader?"

Leia nodded. "I'm so glad everything worked out ..."

Qui-Gon turned to Luke and Leia and he smiled warmly. "You have grown very well," he said. "I have not seen you since you were tiny babies."

"Obi-Wan has told us so much about you," Luke said. "It is an honour to meet a living legend."

Qui-Gon almost blushed. "I’m sure my Padawan was just being nice."

Obi-Wan chuckled. "If it wans't for you, we would all be either dead or prisoners of the Empire. Take some credit, Master."

Outside Qui-Gon’s abode a celebration was held that night. Even Han Solo was intrigued to meet the Jedi Master. He shook the older man's hand, whom he had expected to look much older.

"Thank you," Qui-Gon said with a smile.

Han's eyebrows raised as he had not said a word and then he smiled. "I don't know if I'll ever get the hang of this Force thing..."

Qui-Gon chuckled softly as he and Han went to join the other guests.

The celebration pressed on well past the following dawn.

Later that morning, Qui-Gon sensed a familliar presence and as delighted to see Thal, returned and he embraced his son. "You have grown into a fine young man," he said. "It is good to see you."

"And you, father, and there is someone I want you to meet."

A small half Elven woman stepped into view.

"This is Mréka. I met her on a mission to help the rebels find a new base after we left Dantooine."

Qui-Gon smiled warmly. "I sense you two are very much in love."

The young ones embraced. "We are, Father." Thal stroked one of Mréka’s pointed ears.

"You have my blessing."

Thal smiled, he didn’t even have to ask for it.

"Thal has told me so much about you." Mréka said. "I am honoured to become part of your family."

"As I am honoured to welcome you."

Qui-Gon introduced Oran and Lóreii to their older brother. That was filled with delight to find he had a brother and a sister and embraced them tightly. He lifted them up and whirled them about, much to their delight. Qui-Gon chuckled softly.

Padmé came to the Jedi Master, her face full of joy. "It is wonderful ... the Empire dead, the war finally over, our galaxy at peace.

"Yes, it is a miracle."

"So much has been lost," Padmé said with sadness, "but now we have lasting peace again.

"Anakin came to you," Qui-Gon said.

Padmé nodded, tears welling. "I found it hard to forgive him, but how could I not?"

Qui-Gon embraced her gently. "He will find his peace in time to come."

The Jedi Master found Wedge. "Thank you for taking care of my son."

The young pilot smiled. "It was my pleasure, but he did well on his own."

"I know, and I am very proud of him. Although I have only met Mréka just now, I sense her love. The love they share is beautiful."

Wedge smiled. "That it is. I can only hope I will find someone that special."

Qui-Gon patted him on the shoulder. "You will."

"I like the sound of that."

Both rebel pilot and Jedi Master chuckled together.

Thal and Mréka bonded during the celebrations, elated to be together at peace to share their love and start a family.

The celebrations lasted for many days.

 

            * * *

Qui-Gon sat alone in his abode, meditating, when he sensed another presence. A presence he had not felt for many years. He opened his eyes.

The spirit smiled warmly at him. "Father."

"Dair ..."

Instinctively, Qui-Gon reached out to embrace the spirit of his son. Dair smiled warmly as he touched his father’s hand. His touch felt warm.

"I am sorry we have not come to you previously, but the time was not right."

"We?"

The spirits of Bela and Avalon appeared next to him. Qui-Gon’s eyes welled with tears.

"My children..."

"Know that you never lost us," Avalon said.

Qui-Gon was heartened to hear her beautiful, serene voice.

"I am sorry that in life I could not speak words to you."

"It was not your fault, Little One."

"I cherish your kindness ... One night I lay alone in my cot, feeling abandoned. The next thing I saw was a furry creature looking down at me. The creature looked a little strange to me, but he had the kindest eyes I had ever seen and I knew I was safe and loved. That same creature caught me when I fell out of a tree and I knew no harm would come to me. Do not feel guilty that you could not save us, Qui-Gon. We departed the physical world for many reasons, though it pained us to leave you."

Qui-Gon touched the hands of his spirits of his children, their touch warm and beautiful.

Obi-Wan almost cried when he saw the children, feeling as though they were his own. He went to fetch Thal, Shmi, Oran and Lóreii. Tears came to their eyes.

Qui-Gon stood and the children followed him.

"Know that we never left you," the spirit of Bela said to them. "And when our forms depart here, know that we are still with you."

"I always loved you," Dair said to Thal.

Tears welled in Thal's eyes as he knelt down to his brother’s spirit. "I know."

 

Miralee, now a grown woman, was enlightened to see Dair.

"I never told you how much I loved you..."

"I sensed it," Dair said. "Please do not let your love for me hold you back. If you desire to find another, I am happy for you."

Miralee knelt down to Dair. "I have not yet found one as special as you, but when he pushes me in the lake, I will know he is the one."

Both of them began to laugh hysterically.

Qui-Gon smiled, glad to see a smile on Miralee’s face. He could not remember the last time she had smiled.

 

Thal approached his father.

"I do not know how to say this to you, Father but ..."

"You wish to move away with Mréka." Qui-Gon sensed his son’s thoughts.

Thal nodded.

"I will miss you, but you must do what your heart tells you, but promise to come to visit once in a while."

Thal smiled. "You have my promise, Father."

Gently, the two embraced.

            * * *

Qui-Gon awoke one morning with an eerie feeling. Something was not right. The Jedi Master stood and walked to his meditation room and sat down. He opened himself to the Force, his breathing silent and slow. Someone was in great pain. He honed in his focus, it was not a person, he sensed and he sensed whoever it was coming from was on Naboo... The pain was incredible and he struggled to focus and not let it take hold of him. With a start, Qui-Gon sensed the pain was coming from the core of Naboo herself. Never before had he sensed the essence of a planet in such depth. He sensed the life of Naboo fading and fading fast ...

~There is nothing you can do...~ the female voice of Naboo sounded in his head. ~I knew this moment would come, when I would no longer be able to hold myself ... I had only wished there be time for a mass evacuation, but alas, there is not .. I am so sorry ... Three is nothing I can do...~

"There may be something I can do," Qui-Gon said to her. "I may be able help you..."

~How? Never before has a planet lived through this ... I was crated, knowing this day would come ...~

Qui-Gon took a breath and concentrated. "Concentrate on the Force," he told her. "Do not focus on despair."

He felt the planet sigh. ~What if I cannot ... I ~

"Do everything you can ... together we can overcome this..."

~I hope you are right ...~

Qui-Gon felt Naboo's presence seek out the Force and he helped her connect. He became a conduit for the two energies to connect, feeding both of them, being sure to keep his own balance in check. He knew he may very well join the Force himself in this juncture, and he was prepared to do that to save a world and her people. Naboo's strength increased as she fought the pain and the strain. She felt herself coming out of her tension. Qui-Gon felt her power and his own. He felt as though he surrounded the entire planet, and resided deep within her. He felt every aspect of her being as she felt his, and the Force flowing through. It was half an hour before Naboo was restored.

Qui-Gon waited a while before opening his eyes. The power of an entire planet and the Force had rushed through him. Never before had he felt such awesome power, and yet he was not tempted by it one iota. He took a silent breath and centred himself once more. He had helped save an entire world and thousands of people. However pride was not what he felt. He felt a wave of relief and gratitude that he had such a precious gift to do just that. He remembered something Darth Maul had once told him about how Darth Sidious had been afraid of him, and he surmised this had been why. Qui-Gon shuddered to think what the departed Sith Master would done with that power and was grateful the Universe would never know.

~I thank you from the deepest reaches of my Soul, Qui-Gon Jinn. Without you I ... and everyone who resides on and within me would have perished.~

"I could not have done anything if you were not willing. If you had not looked past your fears ..."

~Yes, and again, I thank you.~

"It was my pleasure, Naboo."

In his mind, he heard the planet chuckle.

~That is not my real name of course,~ she told him. ~The first settlers called me that. My creation name is unpronounceable in your tongue, but I will tell you...~

Qui-Gon let the name wash over him, a beautiful melody of subtle sounds, beyond time and space.

"Indeed you have a beautiful name."

~As do you, Qui-Gon Jinn and now you need to rest...~

He smiled. "Yes, I know."

Qui-Gon poured a large chalice of water and drank it all before retiring.

He slept well into the next day, protected by the Force.

 

Shmi came to Qui-Gon the next morning. "I had a dream that you saved Naboo ... and I sensed that you did..." She placed her arms around him.

"I did everything I could," Qui-Gon said.

"And no one is any the wiser ... That's what I love about you, My Beloved You just saved an entire world, and you're not going out there saying 'look what I did' and expecting hero worship and statues of you in the town square at Theed."

Qui-Gon smiled. "Humility has always been one of my strengths and I have never been one for statues. They will probably get my hair wrong."

Qui-Gon and Shmi laughed and she kissed him again.

Qui-Gon smiled and began to stand.

"Oh, no you don't," Shmi said, gently pushing him back down." It's breakfast in bed for you, My Love."

The Jedi Master chuckled. "I can't stay in bed all day ... I have..."

"I will do your chores, the least I can do is help you. You need rest and the least anyone can do is give you a day off for saving the world."

Qui-Gon smiled and kissed his beloved, before returning to sleep.

           

            * * *

Qui-Gon and Shmi watched their two children grow on Naboo, play and make friends like Dair and his brothers and sister had done. Qui-Gon did not fear for his younger children as he knew no danger would befall them.

            * * *

One morning Qui-Gon awoke feeling ill. With a start, he realised Shmi was fading.

He and gently touched her cheek. Shmi opened her eyes and weakly smiled at him.

"I will never leave you, My Love," she said, "but my time here is ending."

Gently, Qui-Gon held her.

"I feel the pull of the Force..." Shmi said.

"As do I," the Jedi Master said, tears welling in his blue grey eyes.

He knew they did not have long together in the mortal world, perhaps an hour or so. Gently, Qui-Gon lifted his beloved from the bed and took her to the meditation room. There he laid her down gently and stayed with her. He heard the door open to reveal Oran and Lóreii. He was grateful they had come and contemplated bringing them, but he was afraid they might have been frightened. Silently they knelt before their mother and

Qui-Gon knew they understood what was happening.

"Shmi will never leave us, Father."

"I know..."

Gently Lóreii wiped a tear from her father's cheek. The Jedi Master turned to his beloved, who smiled at him weakly. Gently, he held her until she disappeared into the Force.

Qui-Gon closed his eyes and felt his children take his hands and hold him. He took a deep silent breath, although Shmi's body was gone, he could feel her holding him.

            * * *

Obi-Wan placed his arms around his Master. "I'm so sorry ... You loved her so dearly."

"Yes, I did, Obi-Wan, but I realise although her body is gone, Shmi is not. I feel her around me, with me and the children every day. Although I miss her, she will never truly be gone."

Obi-Wan smiled warmly. He saw his Master's house was full of flowers given to him by sympathisers, including a bunch of rare Angel Light flowers given to him by Padmé. He was grateful his Master did not feel alone and he wondered if he lost one so dear to him, would he be able to understand that death was never an end.

           

End Part VII

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

HIGHLANDS

 

Part VIII

 

Lóreii grew into a beautiful, slender woman. Any other father would have perhaps feared for such a shapely daughter, but Qui-Gon knew his daughter was sensible and he had taught her the ways of the Jedi, and should he need to fight, he was confident that she would best any would be attackers.

She told her father him she wanted to become an Iegan Priestess.

"It is a wonderful honour," he said, "but Are you sure about this? You will not be able to change your mind once you are initiated."

"Yes, Father. I have been deep in thought about it for many, many moons."

"I sensed something was occupying your attention, though I sensed you would tell me about it at some stage."

"I realise that the normal thing to do is to settle down with a mate and bear children, but that is not what I want."

"That's perfectly all right. A family life is not for everyone."

"I am so relieved..."

"You thought I would disapprove?"

"Not as such, but I thought that you would regale me of the joys of having a family."

Qui-Gon smiled.

"But I have thought about it, Father, long and hard. It is not that I dislike children, it is just that I desire something different. I have yearned to become an Iegan Priestess for so long ..."

"Their beauty and elegance is legendary."

"Yes, but that is not what attracts me."

"That's good," Qui-Gon said and Lóreii realised he was testing her.

"What attracts me is their inner beauty, their light souls, the way they spread peace throughout the Universe."

Qui-Gon smiled. "I felt the same way about the Jedi."

Lóreii hugged her Father. "If I leave, I will seldom be able to return."

"I know, but if this is what you truly desire..."

"It is, Father..."

Gently he embraced her. "The you have my blessing, Dear One."

Oran was somewhat surprised at his sister's decision, but happy for her.

"I never saw you with another, male or female," he said. "Not that that meant that I didn't think you ..." he started to add quickly.

Lóreii laughed. "No offence taken, Brother. I wish you well in your endeavours."

"As I wish you well in yours."

Brother and sister shared an embrace.

Qui-Gon cruised with Lóreii en route to Iego, in his stylish chrome starship, given to him by Padmé for his birthday the previous year. A tad extravagant, he thought but he would be lying if he said he didn't like it.

Lóreii was covered from head to foot in a pristine white, flowing dress.

"You do indeed look beautiful," Qui-Gon said. "On both the outside and inside, where it counts much, much more."

"Thank you, father, I say the same about you."

The Jedi Master smiled, taking his daughter's hand as they disembarked at an exquisite, beautiful and elegant beige stone Iegan Temple. Lóreii took in a breath.

"I have seen pictures, but it's so much more beautiful in reality."

"Yes, it is," her father agreed in awe.

She clutched his hand.

"Don't be nervous," he said. "You have earned the right to be here."

Elanin, the High Priestess came to them. Qui-Gon bowed politely.

"It is an honour to meet you," she said, "and to welcome Lóreii Jinn among us."

"I am deeply honoured to be accepted as one of you."

Elanin smiled. "Iegan Priestesses are few and far between. It is a rare gift to find one so special as you."

Lóreii smiled warmly, touched. Qui-Gon understood now that his daughter had been in contact with the High Priestess, but he in no way begrudged her for not telling him.

"Come, let me show you our Temple." She turned to Qui-Gon. "You may come also, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn. It is the first time we have allowed a male within these walls, but you have proved time and time over your worthiness and your love for life and peace."

Qui-Gon bowed again. "I am deeply honoured."

Inside was just as beautiful. Both Qui-Gon and Lóreii felt very privileged to be here. The Jedi Master felt and sensed the immense love, even from the Priestesses who would usually have been afraid, even somewhat annoyed to have a male amongst them. He felt truly and deeply honoured.

And more so to share a vegetarian meal with them.

"We will take good care of your daughter, Master Jinn," Elanin said.

He smiled. "Thank you, I can think of no better place for her but here."

Gently Lóreii kissed her father's cheek.

"This is where we say farewell," Lóreii said, "but not goodbye. I hope to see you again. It is not common for Iegan Priestesses to leave the Temple for any length of time, but not unheard of either, and I have been told that I will be able to write, though most of the priestesses her are separated form their families, there are a few who keep in contact."

Qui-Gon embraced his daughter. "I look forward to it, my Little Princess."

Lóreii smiled. "You have not called me that since I was five." Her father wiped a tear form her cheek. "It's not goodbye, remember, and also remember, the Force is with you, Always, My Little Priestess."

Lóreii smiled. "As it is with you, Father."

Qui-Gon returned to Naboo and even though he would hardly see his daughter, he was happy for her and he knew they would always be in each other's hearts and souls.

            * * *

Oran decided to stay on Naboo.

"It's not because you think that I will get lonely, is it?"

The teenage boy chuckled. "No, Father, though that's part of it ... I don't really know what I want and I can't exactly become an Iegan Priestess, now, can I?"

"Not unless you undergo a certain operation."

Oran chuckled. "Even if I did, the Priestess hood, it's beautiful and all and I couldn't be happier for my sister, bit it's not for me. I see myself more as a family man ... But I really haven't found anyone that ..."

"Hold your horses, you're only fifteen. I was sixty five before I fell in love with your mother."

Oran placed his arms around his father. "And that's lovely, and no offence, but I don't want to wait that long ... Erm ... not that I'm saying you're old or anything..."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "Most would consider one hundred and four to be old indeed."

"And you don't look a day over fifty, honestly."

Qui-Gon smiled. "Thank you, and for that I am ever grateful, the Force is a beautiful gift."

"It certainly is, Father."

            * * *

The Jedi Master stood in the morning Naboo sun, doing some gardening, fleeing guilty for neglecting his garden for so long. He pulled out a host of annoying 'blackjack' weeds and hoped they had not spread to other parts of the garden, and he began to collect some large twigs, felled by a recent storm, when he sensed someone approach. He looked up to see Darth Maul.

"Nice to se you again, Jedi."

Qui-Gon smiled. "What brings you here?"

"It seems I owe you a visit after all this time."

"What have you been doing with yourself? And how's Lyssa?

"She has grown well," Maul said. "She will be along in a few days. She's studying to become a peace consultant of all things, to preserve the pace we now have."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "Not the career you had in mind for her?"

"I was not sure, but with my track record, it seems a little odd ... I hear young Lóreii became an Iegan Priestess."

"That's right."

"Impressive ... As for me, well ... " Maul shook his head. "Not much to report, I'm afraid."

"You seemed to have improved when last we met. You seem ... lighter."

"I do ... I guess I am ... I sensed my old master die and although he was no longer my master at that stage, it still felt as though he controlled my every move, watched me in whatever I did ... you have no idea the weight that lifted form me ... How much of a relief it was."

"I can imagine."

"And you helped," Maul admitted.

"I did what I could."

"After what I did to you? I wouldn’t blame you if you left me to rot."

"I couldn't do that ... There is far too much hatred, fear and anger in the Universe, though I would never condone your actions, I-"

"I still can't believe you forgave me ... I guess one of the reasons I came here was to apologise ... as lame as that may sound."

Qui-Gon walked to him and took his hand. "I'm glad you did, Darth Maul."

"Call me Aren. Since I am no longer a Sith Lord, it seems fitting that I go back to my birth name."

Qui-Gon smiled. "Yes, I think that would look better on a resume than 'Darth Maul.'

The Ex-Sith chuckled.

"You look like you have your hands full," he said, looking around at the Jedi Master's wild and woolly garden.

"Yes, I am ashamed to admit that I have neglected it for so long ... So much going on..."

"Let me help you. It's the lest I can do."

Qui-Gon smiled. "Thank you, Aren."

No sooner had they started, Obi-Wan made an appearance.

"What's *he* doing here?" Aren snarled.

"I could say the same," Obi-Wan glared at the red and black figure. "I felt the urge to come here and-"

"Wait a minute," Aren said. "I felt a similar urge and ..."

Both he and Obi-Wan turned to Qui-Gon, who put on his best innocent look.

"All right ... I'm guilty ... I admit, I subtly called you both here ... You two need to sort out your differences once and for all."

Both Jedi and ex-Sith sighed.

"You would have killed my Master," Obi-Wan said. "The person I love most dearly in the Universe. Have you any idea what that would have felt like?"

"Not then, but I do now. I feel the same about Lyssa ... And I know what I did to your Master and his family was terribly wrong and I still cannot understand why he forgave me for it."

"If my Master forgave you, than I guess I should too... But I don't know if I can."

After working in the garden for a while, Qui-Gon suggested they break for lunch and something to drink. He welcomed both Obi-Wan and Aren into his home.

"Oran will be away for a few days," Qui-Gon said. "He's at a five day peace conference on Coruscant."

"Lyssa is also at that peace conference. Perhaps they will meet."

"That'd be good." Qui-Gon brought food for his guests.

"I would appreciate some more help in the garden, afterwards," he said.

"So that's the *real* reason you brought us here," Obi-Wan said with a smirk.

Qui-Gon chuckled.

The Ex-Sith and Jedi finished their lunch and began to help Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan sensed no malice from Darth Maul, now Aren, though he did not trust him fully.

The three of them worked very hard that day, and even half of the grading was not done.

"Get some rest, Master," Obi-Wan said. "We'll finish up here."

Qui-Gon sensed it was all right to leave them alone as he retreated inside and made a pot of hot, creamy white cocoa. Maul and Obi-Wan were out there for a while and Qui-Gon hoped they were reconciling their differences.

They were grateful for the cocoa when they cake inside after dark.

"Master," Obi-Wan said. "Maul ... I apologise ... Aren and I have decided..."

Qui-Gons ears perked up.

"That you should have a holiday."

"A what ..."?

"A holiday, Master."

Qui-Gon smiled. "I'm all right here. What can do elsewhere that I not do here?"

"Nevertheless," Obi-Wan said, "we still think you need a holiday."

"There's too much to do here."

"Aren and I will keep the place from falling apart while you are gone and we need some time to sort things out."

Qui-Gon nodded and sat down. "But I still don’t see what a holiday-"

"It will give you a chance to relax and kick your feet up, to do things you normally wouldn't, to see things you usually wouldn't."

"We suggest you go to a temperate world," Aren said, "one that you've been wanting to visit for a while, but not a world that's in danger... Knowing you, you'd want to save it."

Qui-Gon smiled. "You both know me too well. All right, I'll go,"

Obi-Wan looked at Aren. "Sorry, we can't torture him."

"Damn."

Obi-Wan playfully hit his hand. Aren smiled.

"Crystala," Qui-Gon said. "I have always wanted to go there. It's said that her crystals are legendary. I have seen pictures and they are exquisite, but I have always wanted to see them."

"Then that's where you're going," Obi-Wan said, brooking no argument.

Aren smiled. "I'll check available flights while you pack."

"Now?"

"Yes. If possible, We’re getting you on a flight tomorrow morning," Obi-Wan said.

Qui-Gon chuckled. "You wasted no time ... I know when I am not wanted."

Playfully, Obi-Wan hit him. "Don't forget your ID PADD."

"Yes, Master."

Obi-Wan chuckled, Aren smiled. He could only wonder what it would have been like if someone like Qui-Gon had been his Master.

The Jedi Master went to pack some things, some clothes, a little food, some books and sketch pads, amongst of the things.

"I've booked you on a cruiser leaving tomorrow morning at Eleven from Theed. It's a five day flight to Crystala." Obi-Wan handed him an itinerary. "It's a three week holiday. Enjoy yourself."

"I have no doubt I will ... Thank you, Obi-Wan, Aren ... This is all happening so suddenly."

"Master, you never used to have a problem with spontaneity."

"I must be getting old."

Obi-Wan chuckled.

Qui-Gon climbed out of the speeder with his green travel case and brown satchel.

"Remember, have fun, relax, put your feet up and don't worry about a thing."

"I plan to ... And you two, no lightsabre battles in the house."

Aren and Obi-Wan chuckled.

"Don't worry, Master, your house will still be here when you get back."

"Good," he said with a smile. He felt like he was on holidays already.

He watched Obi-Wan and Maul speed on their way back to his dwelling in the Highlands and hoped they could sort things out, but as he had promised, he turned and headed for the space cruiser, determined to have a good time.

Qui-Gon could scarcely believe a space cruiser could be so luxurious, there was even a heated pool on board and he planned to make use of it, but first he placed his things down in his exquisite cabin and got some rest.

* * *

Aren and Obi-Wan returned to Qui-Gon's abode.

"Now, we need to get started."

"Get started on what?" Aren asked.

"This," Obi-Wan said, indicating Qui-Gon's haphazard abode and his wayward garden."

"I was afraid you would say that. So what do we start with?"

"The hardest thing - this blasted garden ... What? You were afraid I was going to say that?"

"Terrified."

The Ex-Sith Lord and Jedi smiled, collected some tools and begun.

* * *

By the end of the week, they were still working in the garden.

"I mean no offence, but does Qui-Gon never work in his garden?"

Obi-Wan gave a smile. "Yes, he has had quite a lot to do in the past few months ... And his beloved joined the force not so long ago."

"I am sorry to hear that," Aren said. "They loved each other deeply."

"Yes, they did .."

Mail glanced over at obi-Wan. "You're still angry with me for what I did and I don't blame you. So am I. All I knew back them was hate, anger, destruction and pain. My old master taught me how to hate, fight and kill, nothing more."

"And he told you love was weak."

"Yes, and now I know better."

"It is said that everything happens for a reason." Obi-Wan took the other's read and black hand. "I can't forgive what you did, but I forgive *you,* Aren."

"Thank you, Obi-Wan, that means a great deal to me. Now ... Do you think Qui-Gon would forgive me for accidentally cutting off his only yellow rose?"

"I doubt it,"

They both laughed.

* * *

Qui-Gon stood in awe of the luminous crystal cave, like nothing he had ever seen before. The crystals were warm and they sang to him, more colours than a rainbow and they glowed where there was no light. The Jedi Master sat down and meditated amongst the serene beings as they seemed to hold him in a gentle embrace.

* * *

Obi-Wan and Aren enlisted the help of Miralee to help them in the house and garden. Aren was unsure at first, both about her and he had wanted to finish the work with

Obi-Wan, but the Jedi assured him that they needed the help and that it was not shameful to accept help once in a while and Aren agreed. Miralee had she assured him she harboured no ill will to him any longer, though for the longest time, she did not understand why he had done what he had.

* * *

Between them, they had finished the garden and house by the end of the third week.

"It's about time," Aren said. "He'll be home in a day."

"Yes ... I sense he had a wonderful time."

"As do I," Aren said with a smile. "He deserved it too."

"That he did."

They picked Qui-Gon up the following day and helped him with his luggage and Obi-Wan noticed he had brought an extra slightly darker green suitcase and became intrigued.

Qui-Gon greeted his friends happily.

"I had a wonderful time. Please, force me to go on holidays more often."

"No doubt, we will," Aren said, helping Qui-Gon with his luggage.

"And you didn't save anyone on the planet, did you, Master?..."

Qui-Gon was silent.

"Master ..."

"Well I helped a little lost girl find her mother and a drowning kitt," Qui-Gon squeaked. "But that's all, I promise."

Obi-Wan chuckled. "Always saving someone, that's my Master ..."

Aren smiled as well.

"Thank you," Qui-Gon said, as the land speeder took off. "I am glad you two sorted out your differences." He smiled warmly

"As are we," Aren said,

Obi-Wan smiled as well. "Thank you, Master."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "Even after all this time you still call me Master."

"You will always be my Master, Qui-Gon Jinn."

* * *

Meanwhile, Miralee sat by the lake thinking of Dair. She picked up a stick and played with it in the water, just like she had done that day when Dair had pushed her in and the next thing she knew, she was flat on her face, wet through in the lake! When her initial shock wore off, at first Miralee thought she had been clumsy, but no, she had been pushed! Had the spirit of Dair pushed her for old times sake? She looked up to see a tall man, standing in a suit, covering his mouth. A smile tugged at the corners of Miralee's mouth.

"I'm terribly sorry," the man said. "You looked just like my sister playing by the lake ... I used to push her in all the time, but it was only because I loved her ... You can kill me now."

Miralee burst out laughing, stood and placed her arms around him. "Do you know how long I've been waiting for someone to do that?"

And then she kissed him.

"Not the response I was expecting ..." And he kissed her back.

"My name's Miralee," she said.

"That's so beautiful and rare ... Mine's Dari."

Miralee almost gasped. Dari ... an anagram of Dair.

"*Thank you ...*" she said, holding him.

In the next few moments, they were rolling on the grass playing.

"Well this is certainly not what I expected to happen today..."

"Nor me." Miralee said. "But you know what they say, we have our plans and the Gods have theirs."

Dari smiled as he played with Miralee's hair. "From now I shall trust the Gods ... For the longest time I had wanted to quit my high powered job on Coruscant and become a farmer ... And you have given me the inspiration to do it."

"Wonderful!"

He ripped off his suit until he wore nothing. Miralee ripped off her old dress.

"I never liked in anyway..."

The two laughed as they dive bombed into the lake and skinny dipped.

Dair watched them from the bushes and smiled. "Take care, My Beloved," he said with a smile, grateful for Dari's intervention. "For you both will soar."

And with that, he left.

* * *

When he returned home, Qui-Gon was amazed.

"You did all this ..."

"With Miralee's help," Aren said.

"And we couldn't have you working when you got back from your holiday, it'd defeat the whole purpose of going on holiday to relax in the first place," Obi-Wan said.

"Thank you ..." Qui-Gon said, touched and close to tears. He pulled Obi-Wan close to him in an embrace.

"Thank you, Master, but aren't you going to hug Aren as well?"

"I think he might kill me if I did,"

Aren chuckled. "Well I'm not much on the affectionate side ... Though I am learning ... My old Master ... wans't much on the love."

"No, I can't see him being a huggie person," Qui-Gon said.

Aren laughed. "Definitely not."

The only thing was your old recycler broke and we got you a new one/ Took us ages to find green one."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "Thank you."

"But your old one was so big and we couldn't get rid of it into the new one which was smaller."

"No problem," Qui-Gon said, retrieving his lightsabre and cutting the kaput machine neatly in half, and placing the two halves into the new recycler, disintegrating them.

"Master," Obi-Wan said, "I have known you for almost one hundred years and you can still surprise me."

"I should hope so ... "

Master and Padawan chuckled.

"It's been a while since I used this.." Qui-Gon said, turning off his lightsabre and patting it. "Good old Excalibur."

The trio chuckled and were interrupted by rapid knocking. Obi-Wan answered the door to see an excited Miralee standing with a tall man. Both were wearing loose green and grey Naboo hemp like clothing.

"Miralee, a pleasure to see you," Qui-Gon said ."Thank you for all your help."

"It's a pleasure, Qui ... Did you enjoy your holiday."

"Yes, thank you, very much."

"Guys, this is Dari ... Dari, this is Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Aren."

"A pleasure and an honour to meet Jedi."

"As it is to meet you as well," Qui-Gon said as he invited them in.

"Tell me all about your holiday," Miralee said."

"I'll tell you all about it, but I sense you're bursting out of your skin to tell us something," he said with a smile.

"I am..." Miralee grinned excitedly and told her amazing story and she ended with, "And we bonded together, naked in the lake ..."

"That's an amazing and beautiful story," Qui-Gon said. "And you both look radiant."

"We feel radiant," Dari said, holding Miralee close.

Qui-Gon too noticed the amazing 'coincidence' of the man's name. He was not Dair, but he shared so many Dair like qualities and Qui-Gon wondered if Dair would have been a little like this man had he have lived.

Qui-Gon shared his story.

"The crystals were so beautiful... They're alive and they sing to you ... And the caves were something else ... They embrace you ..."

He played some crystal music he had bought and showed them an enormous book with exquisite photographs and artwork.

"I must take you all there someday."

"It sounds lovely, Master."

"It is ... It truly is beautiful and I have gifts for you ..."

Qui-Gon gave each of them a singing crystal.

"I asked which crystals would like to come back with me and these sang to me."

The Jedi Master sensed their gratitude for such a beautiful and rare gift, they didn’t even have to thank him, but they did anyway.

            * * *

Lyssa and Oran returned from the peace conference. Qui-Gon and Aren were somewhat surprised that they came together, seemingly knowing each other. They explained that they met at the peace conference and had become friends. Qui-Gon also noticed that Oran was a few days later than he said he would be, but his father did not mind. He told his father that he too wanted to become a Peace Consultant like Lyssa.

"That is very noble," he said, proud of his son.

"Seems like a coincidence," Aren said when the y had left. "My daughter meeting your son."

"Nothing happens by accident," Qui-Gon said.

            * * *

Not much was seen of Oran or Lyssa in the next few days.

"It is good of your son to show my daughter around your world," Aren said. "This isn't your homeworld, is it?"

"No, I was born on the fourth moon of Iego."

"That's where they say the Angels come from."

Qui-Gon smiled. "So I am told."

"And the Elves too," Aren said with a smile.

"Now that is true," Qui-Gon said. "My mother was an Elf."

"She was? I thought Elves were myths."

"So did I," Obi-Wan said, until I met my Master. If he had pointy ears, then he'd be all set."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "Yes, unfortunately I didn't inherit my mother's ears."

            * * *

Qui-Gon, Aren and Obi-Wan want to fetch Lyssa and Oran to go to the huge Naboo

bi-annual markets. What they saw, they were not prepared for. Oran sat under a tree, and Lyssa Lay in his lap. Gently he played with her hair and kissed her.

Aren and Obi-Wan stared.

Qui-Gon smiled. "I thought so."

Aren turned to him. "And just when were you planning on telling me?"

"When you discovered it for yourself," he said, still smiling. "Don't worry, my son's intentions are honourable."

"I'd have his balls if they weren't."

The trio decided to leave the adolescents alone.

Lyssa and Oran returned to Qui-Gon's abode later that afternoon.

"And just where have you two been?" Aren demanded.

"We went to the markets," Oran said.

"And then?"

"We mediated under a tree..."

Oran saw the smile on his father's face. "You know, don't you ... Well I guess we have to break the news sometime. Aren. I'm in love with your daughter."

Lyssa turned to Qui-Gon. "And I am in love with your son. And we would like both of your blessings otherwise we'll elope." She smiled.

Qui-Gon chuckled. "That won't be necessary. Of course you have my blessing."

"And mine," Aren sighed. "I sense you love Lyssa a great deal ... Though I swore I'd castrate the first man to-"

"Don't you touch him."

"I'm not planning to."

"Goon. He's all mine then."

Everyone laughed.

"We have decided not to marry," Oran said, "but to bond skyclad under my favourite tree in private."

Qui-Gon nodded. Aren was thrown a little by the simple idea, but he liked it.

The ceremony took place the following day, and Lyssa and Oran were bonded. The two bonded ones decided to leave their parents and start their lives afresh.

"You will be sorely missed," Qui-Gon said, "but please promise me you'll come to visit form time to time."

"Of course we will, Father," Oran said. "Farewell, but not goodbye."

Oran hugged is father. Aren tried to escape, but Lyssa grabbed him and hugged him.

"You have got to learn to hug." She scalded.

"Perhaps ... one day."

"One day far away?"

Aren chuckled. "Get going before we start to miss you."

Aren stayed for a few more days before he left Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan alone. Obi-Wan decided to move in with his Master and Qui-Gon was only too happy to have him there.

 

End Part VIII

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

HIGHLANDS

 

Part XI

 

Pronunciations: Aleada - A-leda (short a and e)

Thamea - Tha-mee-a (short a)

 

 

"Thank you for staying with me, Obi-Wan, sometimes I get lonely."

"It's the least I can do, Master, you came halfway across the galaxy to console me when Pooka died, which is a lot more than I did for you, so the least I can do is make up for it."

"There's nothing to make up for, Obi-Wan,"

Gently, his master embraced him.

            * * *

Qui-Gon sat on his sofa, doing an intricate tapestry of a wizard. He became a little frustrated when he could not see where to put the needle. He ended up pricking himself. It was the third time in as many days that the tapestry had befuddled him and he sighed.

Obi-Wan entered the lounge room. "Master?"

Qui-Gon looked up, sending Obi-Wan's concern. "I'm all right ... It's nothing."

"You're upset about something. I can sense it."

Qui-Gon put the tapestry down. "It's this tapestry..." he said with a sigh. "I can't see it properly, it continues to elude me."

"Perhaps you should see someone? A healer?"

Qui-Gon shook his head. "What can they do?"

"Master, they might be able to help."

Qui-Gon shook his head.

"Master ... please ..."

"Obi-Wan

"Please Master ... Don't make me force you."

Qui-Gon looked at his former Padawan.

"I'll beg."

"Ohh all right... I'll go and see Healer Thamea if it means that much to you ... But there is little she can do."

"What makes you so sure?"

Qui-Gon didn't answer Obi-Wan's question.

            * * *

"Just a little virus," Healer Thamea said, pressing a hypospray to Qui-Gon's arm.

"A virus?"

"Yes, commonly affects the eyes and makes you feel lethargic."

Qui-Gon nodded. "What a relief. I thought I was getting old."

Obi-Wan looked at his Master. "And you were worried ..." He placed his arms around his master. "You may be old by some standards, Master, but you will never be decrepit."

"Thank you, Obi-Wan I and quite relieved to be sure. And after all this time the Force still reminds me to be modest." He smiled.

The Healer and Jedi chuckled before Qui-Gon went home with Obi-Wan

And his cross stitch was finished in a few weeks.

"It's beautiful, Master. "You are a wizard you know."

"Thank you, Obi-Wan." Gently Qui-Gon embraced him, the silver threads in the tapestry sparkling.

            * * *

Obi-Wan saw his Master sitting on his sofa, tears streaming fron his cheeks.  The older man looked distracted.

 "Master, I take it you sensed the Aldevronian children had been saved?"

Qui-Gon looked up. "Yes, I did."

"Then why so sad?"

"Aren gave his life defending them."

Obi-Wan felt a lump in his throat.  "Oh..."

"I sensed it ... He wanted to do something good with his life and he did. I hope Lyssa will be all right."

"She will be. She's in good hands."

A tear rolled down Qui-Gon's cheek. Both Jedi spent the rest of the day in silent meditation.

            * * *

The following year Lyssa and Oran came to visit with their new baby daughter, Aleada,

named after the Iridonian word for harmony.

"She's adorable," Qui-Gon said gazing into her light violet eyes.

She had the same markings as her mother, but the same coloured skin as father, and also the same pitch black hair as her mother. Gently, Qui-Gon took her into his arms, a proud Grandfather.

"She's usually distressed around people she hasn't met before," Lyssa said, "but anyone would be at ease around you, Qui-Gon."

He smiled. "I have been dying to meet her, she's so beautiful."

Oran smiled as well as his father wiped a tear from his cheek. "It's lovely to have such a beautiful reunion."

Carefully Obi-Wan took Aleada and she seemed to like him as well.

"I know she's going to grow up to be just like her grandfather," Lyssa said, then she looked sad. "I wish my father could have gotten to meet her."

Gently Qui-Gon comforted her. "His sacrifice was not in vain."

"I know and I am more than proud of him."

"And he will meet her, perhaps not in the physical world. Call on his spirit and he will be there."

"Thanks, Qui," Gently Lyssa hugged him.

            * * *

Qui-Gon lay in bed for a few days, sick from a virus. Obi-Wan was very worried about him catching another virus at his age - 104. Padmé and the new Queen Lira had come to visit. Padmé had retired a few years earlier.

"Thank you for coming, but I am not an invalid and by the looks on your faces you seem ready to read me my last rights..."

Obi-Wan managed a smile.

"Really, I'm fine," Qui-Gon assured. I just needed a little rest, but I am not ready to join the Force just yet. It will have to wait a while longer."  He stood.

"Master..." Obi-Wan cautioned.

"I'm fine. I just need some fresh air." Qui-Gon opened the door.

"Master I don't think..."

"Really, Obi-Wan you're like a mother hen."

" Cluck cluck."

Qui-Gon smiled.

"Now back into bed with you," Obi-Wan ordered.

"No ..." Qui-Gon said, defiant. He threw off his red bed robe, and sprinted toward the lake, wearing nothing but the bonding necklace Shmi had given him. Obi-Wan placed his hand over the young Queen Lira's eyes. She pushed it away.

Qui-Gon dive-bombed into the lake, resurfaced, his wet hair clinging to him.

"Come on in, the water's fine."

Lira giggled.  Obi-Wan shook his head, and could not help but smile and chuckle, followed by laughter all round.

            * * *

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn lived until he was 572 years of age before he decided to join the Force. The Living Force, so strong on him, it enabled him and Obi-Wan to live well beyond the years of an ordinary human, even a Jedi. Qui-Gon could have continued to live a mortal existence, but he sensed he could do more as a spirit being for the Universe. Obi-Wan joined him a week later. His house still stands in the Highlands on Naboo, a monument to all who celebrate and cherish life and love.

 

And Qui-Gon Jinn remains, as always, the Universe’s Protector.

 

               *

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Qui~Gon Page