Vampire Goulash

 

What you need:

 

2 red onions, sliced

500g carrots (I use purple ones)
½ a kilo of lamb, diced
½ a kilo of pork (or beef), diced

(Use mock meat or tofu for vegetarian version)
1 jar sauerkraut, (I use a ginger and turmeric one with juniper berries)
6 tablespoons of smoked or Hungarian paprika
2 cups of crème fraiche (or if you can’t get it, sour cream)
A little olive oil or butter
A pinch of salt

A pinch of freshly ground black or four colour pepper

15 juniper berries (soaked overnight)

Pinch of turmeric

Pinch of ginger

1 bottle of red wine (I use a berry wine)
Fresh flat leaf parsley

How to create it:


Steam the carrots. Cook meat in frying pan with olive oil or butter. You may want to cook it in the oven for about 35 minutes. Finely chop the onion and sauté in frying pan with olive oil or butter until cooked well.  Use a mortal and pestle or blender to crush juniper berries.

 

Transfer onions and meat to a pot. Season with salt, pepper and three tablespoons of paprika. Pour in the bottle of red wine.  Stir the mixture and cook 10 minutes. Add 1 more tablespoon of paprika. Add the turmeric, ginger and juniper berries and stir in.

You may have to drain your kraut. Add sauerkraut to the mixture.  Add 2 more tablespoons of paprika, or more to make goulash red.  Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Add a cup of crème fraiche and stir in.

 

Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche and chopped parsley.  Serve with a bottle of red berry wine.

 

Recipe copyright ©

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to My Twi Page