Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic.

Summary: The story of Lightning and a story of friendship (Original Charachter)

Author's Note: Lightning and Sputnik created by Seawave.

Rating - PG

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE UNWANTED DECEPTICON

 

A new Decepticon had been created. His name was Lightning. The machine that had been creating him had malfunctioned and he was not operating properly, but none of the Decepticons knew this. Lightning was created to be a 'Super Decepticon, with increased strength, speed and firepower.

"This new Super Decepticon will spell ultimate doom for the Autobots..."sneered Megatron, with an evil smile. "Once we test it, we can make more - an army of Super Decepticons ... At long last, total victory will be ours ... "

Megatron recited part of his 'Conquest of the Universe' speech. He then turned to Lightning.

"Your first mission is ..."

Megatron briefed him on the mission. Lightning was partially deaf and blind, as it was part of the malfunction. Megatron knew nothing of this, and Lightning couldn't speak to tell him and even if he could, he didn't know exactly what was wrong with him. He then set off on the mission, not sure exactly what to do, as he hadn't heard or understood Megatron correctly. He tried to make sense of the words he heard Megatron say, but it was very hard for him.

An Autobot, Bumblebee, had been spying of the Decepticons. He radioed Autobot headquarters.

"Prime, did you copy?"

"Affirmative, Bumblebee. Excellent job. Have they said anything more about the new 'Super Decepticon?' - Over."

"Negative, Prime. Over."

"All right, Bumblebee. You'd better return to base in case they discover you. - Over and out."

"Will do, Prime. Bumblebee out."

Bumblebee soon returned to Autobot headquarters. The Autobots started discussing the new Super Decepticon amongst themselves.

"With all that power even one of them will be difficult to defeat" said Optimus Prime. "There's no telling what an entire army of them will be capable of. We must prevent Megatron from creating them by destroying that machine, but we must be cautious. He has already created one. If we attack their headquarters, we may be walking straight into his hands."

"But Prime," said Bumblebee, "the new Super Decepticon was sent on a mission."

"Yes, Bumblebee, I know, but still we must be cautious. They may be tricking us. They may have him concealed somewhere in their headquarters, waiting for us. We must take extreme caution."

The Autobots thought and discussed amongst themselves how they would get past enemy lines.

Meanwhile, Lightning had failed his mission. He returned to Decepticon headquarters, confused and not knowing what to expect. Megatron could not believe it.

"What could have gone wrong? ... "he thought to himself. "He was created to be perfect ..."

He was also furious.

"HOW DARE YOU FAIL??!!"

Lightning's hearing was improving. Megatron's thundering hurt his ears, but he understood the words. He wanted to tell Megatron that he didn't understand the mission and it wasn't is fault, but couldn't express himself properly.

"I ... I ..." he started.

"Be quiet" ordered Megatron, harsh and cold.

Lightning obeyed him, but couldn't understand why Megatron was so angry and harsh with him. Megatron then walked over to the machine that had created Lightning.

"What could've gone wrong? The Super Decepticon - We created it perfectly ..."

Lightning's hearing had improved greatly. He felt hurt that Megatron had referred to him as 'it.'

Megatron and the Decepticons tried to figure out what had gone wrong.

In the next few weeks, they sent Lightning on many other missions, all of which he failed. Megatron was absolutely furious.

"WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU??!!"

Lightning shuddered.

"Help me..." he said, softly, shivering. "Don't understand... Not know what to do..."

Lightning was almost crying. Megatron could not control his temper. He blasted him twice in his chest and stomach. Lightning was thrown backwards in pain.

"Why don't they understand? ..." he thought, sad and confused. "Why are they hurting me? ... Why don't they help me? ..."

He lay helplessly on the floor. He felt out of place, unwanted and worthless. A few tears rolled down his cheeks. Megatron did not notice.

Some other Decepticons then checked the machine.

"Megatron, the machine's malfunctioning!" exclaimed Starscream.

Megatron was puzzled. He walked over to it and examined it.

"So ... our new 'Super' Decepticon can't see or hear properly, lacks intelligence ... "

Megatron angrily kicked Lightning in his chest and stomach. It hurt him a lot.

"Our new Super Decepticon, "he said sarcastically, "is absolutely worthless ... "

"Can't we repair him?" asked Skywarp.

"It's not worth it, Skywarp. It'll be more worthwhile to repair the machine. Then we can create many more Super Decepticons, instead of repairing just one. I don't want to waste my time on that worthless piece of scrap. Throw it into the trash grinder. "

Lightning didn't know what the 'trash grinder' was, but felt uneasy and very frightened. He wished the other Decepticons would care about and help him. Megatron roughly picked him up. Lightning tried to struggle away, but Megatron wouldn't let him. He threw him down a chute which lead to the trash grinder. Lightning landed painfully on a conveyor belt which drew him closer and closer to the crushing jaws of the trash grinder.

Meanwhile, at Autobot headquarters, the Autobots had discovered a way to get past the Decepticons' defence and security systems.

"We must destroy the machine that Megatron is using to create his Super Decepticons," said Optimus Prime. "We also have to destroy the one he has already created. "

Optimus Prime then hesitated. He felt upset.

"I would rather not kill, "he said, "but may be the only way."

He and Ironhide quickly left for Decepticon headquarters. They found their way inside, avoiding detection. They began to search for the Super Decepticon and the machine.

Lightning was on the conveyor belt, drawing closer and closer to the jaws of the grinder. He couldn't see very well, but could hear the crushing sound of the jaws. He didn't exactly know what the noise was, but it frightened him and made him feel very uneasy. As he was drawn closer to them, he could just barely see the gleaming, cold silver metal of the jaws.

Ironhide and Optimus Prime were still searching.

"We've searched just about everywhere, Prime and we can't find it anywhere."

"We must keep searching, Ironhide. We must find that machine, no matter the cost. The future of the Universe depends on it. If Megatron succeeds, there's no way we can stop him. The entire Universe will be in the palm of his hand. We'd better split up. We'll cover more that way."

They both split and continued to search.

Lightning was still being drawn closer and closer towards the crushing jaws of the trash grinder. He was becoming more and more frightened as the noise became louder and louder, but there was nothing Lightning could do to save himself. He was low on energy and couldn't move. Although he was frightened, he wasn't exactly sure why. He could barely see the danger. As he was drawn closer to the crushing jaws of the trash grinder, he saw them crunching against each other, and their cold silver glisten. Lightning was both confused and frightened. He tried to get away, but couldn't. The jaws then started crunching his legs. Lightning started screaming with pain. He saw blood pouring out of his legs. He tried to push himself away from the cold, metallic jaws, but they just sliced through his hands. Lightning couldn't describe the pain. He was absolutely terrified. He wanted the pain to stop, but didn't know how to stop it. He didn't want to die. It was unbearable.

Optimus Prime was still searching for the machine. He then heard screaming coming from the distance. He was puzzled, wondering what was going on.

"Who's screaming? ..." he asked himself. "Obviously, they're in a great deal of pain ..."

He ran to the room where he had heard the screaming coming from. The door was unlocked. Optimus opened it. There was a long wide corridor. He took a step forward and closed the door. He then looked to the end of the corridor. There, he saw a Decepticon being crushed in the jaws of the trash grinder, screaming with unbearable pain. Optimus Prime looked at the large Decepticon insignia on Lightning's back.

"I know he's my enemy - a Decepticon ... "he said to himself, "but I cannot let anyone suffer like that - especially in that amount of pain."

Optimus Prime aimed his laser rifle at the controls of the trash grinder and pulled the trigger. The controls took a direct hit and exploded. Although now the jaws had stopped crushing him, Lightning was still in extreme pain. His legs had been totally crushed. All that remained of them was a little part at the top. His arms and hands were deeply cut and the jaws had started to slice through the front of him. Lightning was screaming as well as crying and whimpering with pain. He saw and heard the jaws had stopped. He was grateful, but still in very much pain, confused and frightened. Optimus Prime walked towards him. Lightning faintly heard footsteps. He began shivering. Who was coming? Would they start the jaws again? Lightning was very frightened.

Optimus Prime then sat on the conveyor belt and gently touched Lightning. Lightning felt the touch. He jerked a little. His shivering became more intense. He didn't know what to think and he could do absolutely nothing. He was terrified. Optimus Prime could feel him shivering and tried to comfort him, but Lightning was malfunctioning and couldn't understand what he was saying. His optical sensors had also glitched and he couldn't see a thing. He felt Optimus Prime's gentle touch and sensed he wasn't going to hurt him, but still Lightning still felt uneasy and frightened. Optimus began to realise Lightning couldn't understand him.

"It's all right," he said gently.

Although Lightning couldn't understand the words, the gentleness of Optimus Prime's voice told him that he meant him no harm. Lightning calmed down a little, but still was scared. The pain was still severe, but was toning down. Lightning had stopped screaming, but he was still whimpering, crying and wincing with pain. Optimus Prime wished he could stop the pain, but he could do nothing about it yet.

"I can't leave him like this ..." he thought. "I have to take him back to Autobot headquarters after the machine has been destroyed. I know he's a Decepticon, but I can't even let an enemy die ... Especially not when they're so helpless and in so much pain ..."

Optimus gently picked Lightning up, being very careful not to hurt him.

"Optimus! "exclaimed Ironhide, running to him, down the corridor.

Optimus Prime jerked, accidentally, hurting Lightning.

"Sorry, "he said softly, apologetically, giving him a gentle stroke. "I didn't mean to."

Although Lightning didn't understand Optimus Prime's words, he understood his meaning.

Optimus Prime continued to comfort him. Ironhide came to him.

"Prime! "he exclaimed, "the Decepticons almost discovered... Who's that? ... What ... what happened to him?"

"He's a Decepticon, Ironhide. I heard screaming coming from here and I saw him slowly being crushed to death in that --"

Optimus Prime pointed to the trash grinder. Ironhide looked at its cold gleaming, silver jaws, covered in Lightning's blood. He then winced.

"I couldn't let him suffer like that "said Optimus Prime, sympathetically. "He's still in pain, but it's calming down. After we destroy the machine, we have to take him back to Autobot headquarters with us. "

"But why, Prime? He's a Decepticon."

"I know, Ironhide, but they left him to die. They don't want him. If we can repair him, perhaps he can become an Autobot. We have to take him back home with us. "

Ironhide nodded, understanding. He then smiled.

"You're like a kid with a stray puppy dog sometimes..."

Optimus Prime smiled and looked at Lightning.

"Now," he said, "perhaps there's a way out of here to get to the machine without being detected."

Optimus Prime looked around. He looked up.

"That chute ... "he said. "Perhaps it leads somewhere. Stay here, Ironhide, while I climb up. Here, you'd better take him."

Optimus gently handed Lightning to Ironhide. Ironhide gently took him.

"Be careful, Prime."

Optimus leapt up into the chute and started to climb up. He was nearly half way up when some trash was thrown down. It hit Optimus Prime. He slipped and fell down the chute onto the conveyor belt which lead to the trash grinder. Although the trash grinder was out of operation, Optimus cut his leg on the motionless, but razor sharp bottom jaw. It started bleeding.

"Prime! "exclaimed Ironhide, being careful not to jerk, so not to hurt Lightning.

"I'm all right, Ironhide, "assured Optimus Prime, trying not to think about the pain.

He then looked at the cut. It led from his knee to his foot and was deeper and more severe than he had anticipated. He limped back to the chute. It was hurting him a lot.

"I'll go, Prime, "offered Ironhide, concerned.

Optimus slowly turned around.

"No, Ironhide, I'll go. You stay here and look after him."

Ironhide nodded, respectively. Optimus then carefully and slowly began to climb back up the chute, with blood dripping down his leg. He kept a look out for falling trash. He managed to make it to the top. He peered out of the opening. The coast was clear. He cautiously climbed out of the chute. He then heard Megatron's voice from around the corner. Optimus quickly hid behind a large computer, hoping he wouldn't be found out. Megatron walked past him. Optimus was very tense, but tried to relax. He was quite well concealed and Megatron hadn't seen him. He hoped Megatron didn't turn around. One of his arms could just be seen in the opening. Megatron then turned to Soundwave.

"Is the machine operating properly? "he asked.

"Affirmative, Megatron. All bugs have been eradicated out of the system. "

"Excellent ... Begin production immediately, but with extreme caution. This machine contains a vital ingredient - The last of its kind. If that ingredient is damaged, the machine will never function again, and it will be impossible to create another one."

"Yes, Megatron. "

Megatron smiled evilly.

"Excellent, Soundwave, excellent ... soon all the Autobots will be eliminated the Earth and Cybertron will be ours. "

Megatron then looked into outer space.

"And the Universe will follow -- "

I must stop him ... thought Optimus Prime, determined.

Megatron was about to flick the switch. Optimus Prime quickly blasted at the controls of the machine.

"PRIME!!!! "screamed Megatron, furiously blasting at him.

The blast hit his injured leg. Optimus Prime fell onto the floor. It was extremely painful. His leg started bleeding more. Mega blasted at him. Optimus Prime quickly scrambled behind the computer just as Megatron blasted at him again. The blast hit the computer's side. Optimus Prime's leg was still hurting a lot, but he couldn't worry about the pain now. He reached for his laser rifle and blasted in the direction of the machine. Since Megatron was standing in front of it, to protect it, Optimus' blast hit him in the top of his leg. It started bleeding a little. Megatron put his hand over it, to try to stop the pain. Soundwave looked with concern at Megatron.

While the two Decepticons were distracted, Optimus Prime blasted the machine several times. The explosion threw Megatron and Soundwave to the other side of the room. They were thrown against the wall. Soundwave quickly grabbed his gun and blasted Optimus Prime in his shoulder. Optimus jerked backwards. He then blasted Soundwave's gun before he had a chance to blast him again. Megatron started to stand up.

"Don't move ..." threatened Optimus Prime, pointing his laser rifle at him.

"You'll pay for this, Prime ... "

Optimus heard the sound of vengeance in Megatron's voice, but said, "I'm prepared to pay any price. I cannot let you destroy the Universe, Megatron. "

He then started to walk towards the chute. Megatron tried to grab his foot. Optimus Prime quickly spun around and blasted a few millimetres away from Megatron's hand. Megatron quickly jerked it away.

"That was a warning, Megatron. Keep back. "

Megatron angrily glared at Optimus Prime. He reluctantly obeyed him, anger growing inside him, but he knew losing his temper wouldn't help.

Optimus Prime then slid back down the chute to Ironhide.

"Mission accomplished, Ironhide. The machine is destroyed. "

Ironhide smiled.

"Here "he said, "you'd better take him. "

Ironhide handed Lightning to Optimus Prime. Lightning was still bleeding. Optimus could tell he was in a considerable amount of pain, but Lightning couldn't show it. He was very low on energy and had lost a great deal of blood. Lightning was dying.

"Quickly, "said Optimus Prime, hastily. "We have to take him back with us. "

An alarm then sounded.

"Quickly, Ironhide! "exclaimed Optimus. "We have to get out of here!"

Optimus Prime quickly, but carefully put Lightning inside him, transformed into his truck mode and sped down the corridor after Ironhide. Megatron and Soundwave flew down the chute and blasted after the two Autobots. Optimus Prime then swerved around and blasted Megatron's fusion cannon off his arm. He then blasted him twice in his chest and stomach. Megatron fell backwards. Soundwave dropped his gun and attended to him.

"I'm all right "scowled Megatron, pain in his voice. "Forget about me - Get them ... "

Soundwave looked at the escaping Autobots, but felt he couldn't ignore his friend. Megatron was in a lot of pain. Megatron tried to get up, but couldn't. Soundwave then gently helped him up onto the conveyor belt. Megatron put his arm over his stomach. It was still hurting. Soundwave sat down next to him and tried to help ease the pain.

"Thank you, Soundwave "he said, gratefully

Megatron then paused.

"Prime was holding that half destroyed Super Decepticon in his arms "he said, puzzled. "What does he want with it? It wasn't functioning properly and there's no way he can turn it against us at its full power. "

"Perhaps he doesn't want to turn it against us," suggested Soundwave.

"Then what does he want it for? "asked Megatron, confused."

"He saved the Super Decepticon's life "said Soundwave. "Perhaps he just felt he couldn't let him die."

Megatron then looked around at the motionless jaws of the trash grinder. They were covered with Lightning's blood, which was now dry.

"Perhaps "said Megatron, "but why would he care about a malfunctioning Decepticon? Lightning was worthless. "

"Worthless in terms of operation, Megatron, "said Soundwave, "but to Prime, life is worth everything."

Megatron paused for a while.

"Yes "he then said. "That's why he saved him ... I guess we could have tried to repair the malfunction before, I suppose, but it's too late now ... "

Optimus Prime and Ironhide made it safely back to Autobot headquarters. Optimus then rushed Lightning to the repair bay. Lightning, by now was unconscious.

"I have to hurry "said Optimus, quickly. "I have approximately one hour to repair him. If I do not do it within that time, he'll cease to function... "

Optimus quickly began to repair Lightning, being as careful and gentle as he could. He began constructing a new pair of legs for him with the help of Ratchet, the Autobots' chief medical officer.

"How much longer do we have, Prime?"

"Not long - Twenty-five minutes - And we still have to repair his split skin, damaged circuits, audio and optical sensors. His intelligence chips are also malfunctioning. "

Ratchet began to work on Lightning's split skin, eyes, malfunctioning circuitry and ears, while Optimus Prime worked on his brain.

Time was running out. Ratchet had almost finished, but Optimus Prime was taking longer. The work had to be done delicately and cautiously.

"Are we gonna make it, Prime? "asked Ratchet, uneasily.

"I don't know ... I hope so ... "

Ratchet began to help Optimus. It was difficult, but coming along. Optimus Prime then looked at how much time they had left.

008 -- 007 -- 006 --

His hands were shivering. He hoped they would finish in time.

003 -- 002 -- 001 --

Optimus Prime flicked the final switch. 00 -- He then breathed with relief.

"Phew ... we just made it ... "

Ratchet smiled.

"What I'd call close ..." he said.

They then began to re-energize Lightning. It didn't take as long as they had anticipated. Ratchet was called away to repair Teletraan I who had recently blown a fuse.

After Ratchet had left, Lightning slowly started to regain consciousness. He was confused, as all his pain was gone. His legs had been crushed in the trash grinder, and yet, he had a new pair of legs. There was no blood. Lightning could now see very clearly, but couldn't understand why. He looked at himself again.

"Are you all right? "asked Optimus Prime.

Lightning gasped, startled and spun around on the bed. He discovered he could hear clearly too. He saw Optimus Prime standing near him. Lightning then saw Optimus' Autobot symbol. He knew he was programmed to destroy Autobots, but forced himself to restrain. He then looked around and saw his surroundings were different. Where was the trash grinder? Where was the conveyor belt? And what was this Autobot going to do to him? Lightning felt frightened and uneasy.

My programming commands me to destroy all Autobots. What's stopping me? ... "

Optimus could see how Lightning was feeling. He gently put his hand on his shoulder. Lightning jerked. He then grabbed Optimus Prime's wrist. Optimus was a little puzzled. Lightning then let his wrist go.

"Sorry ..." he said softly.

Optimus was even more puzzled. He's probably nervous.

Optimus put his hand on Lightning's shoulder again to try to comfort him.

I remember this touch ... thought Lightning. He's the one that saved me from the trash grinder ... Buy why? I'm programmed to kill him. He's my enemy ... Why did he save me? ...

"What's the matter? "asked Optimus Prime, sympathetically.

Lightning hesitated for a moment.

"I don't understand ... "he said, shivering a little.

"What don't you understand? "asked Optimus, gently.

"I'm programmed to destroy all Autobots ... I'm your enemy... Why did you save my life? "

"Because ... uh ... What's your name?"

"Lightning."

"Because, Lightning, "said Optimus, "you were in pain and you were helpless. I couldn't let you die. "

Lightning had a puzzled look on his face. He paused, then said, "but I still don't understand ... Why save an enemy?"

"Lightning, I can't allow anyone to die. Especially when they are so helpless and in so much pain. Even enemies are alive, Lightning, and life is important to me. I hate killing and if I can save someone's life, I'll gladly do it. Life is everything to me - even if it's my enemies. Even enemies deserve a right to live. "

Lightning smiled, understanding better now.

"Thank you, "he said, gratefully.

Optimus Prime smiled.

"It's a pleasure. Don't mention it. Listen, I'll take you to meet the other Autobots. "

"No ... wait, Prime. I'm programmed to kill Autobots. I won't hurt you, because you saved my life and you care about me, but the others haven't helped me. I don't want to hurt them, but my programming may force me to. "

"I'll try to reprogram you," said Optimus Prime. "Lie down."

Lightning lay down on the repair bed. Optimus injected some unconscious serum into his neck, so he wouldn't feel any pain during the operation. Optimus then scanned his brain.

"There's the problem, "he said to himself. "It shouldn't take too long to correct.

The operation was not difficult, but very delicate. Optimus had to be extremely careful and gentle. One wrong move and he could damage Lightning's brain and perhaps kill him. The operation had to be taken slowly and took quite a long time. Finally, Optimus finished. He had reprogrammed Lightning not to kill or hate his enemies, the Decepticons, but to think for himself, value freedom and life wherever he found it, have his own feelings and make decisions from his own mind and heart. Optimus then waited for Lightning to regain consciousness. Lightning slowly came to.

"Thank you, Optimus Prime "he said. "I owe you everything. How can I ever repay you? "

"There's no need, Lightning. I don't do anything for rewards or praise. Saving your life and your gratitude is enough. "

Lightning smiled.

"Thank you, Optimus Prime. "

The Autobot Leader replaced Lightning's two Decepticon insignias with two Autobot symbols. One on his chest and one on his back. Lightning shook his hand. Optimus Prime then withdrew his hand and flexed his fingers.

"We have to work on that grip of yours ... "

"Oh ... sorry ... I still have some of my super powers."

Lightning then held Optimus Prime's hand in his hand.

"Is it all right?" he asked, concerned.

"Yes, it's fine. Don't worry about it, Lightning. "

Lightning smiled. Optimus Prime then walked out of the repair bay with him. Lightning wasn't sure of what to expect of the other Autobots and they weren't sure of what to expect of him. Lightning was terrified of rejection. He greeted all, the Autobots, being careful not to shake their hands too hard. The female Autobots, he gave a gentle kiss on the cheek. Sputnik, the last, a feisty one, wasn't too thrilled about being kissed. She drew her head back and shook Lightning's hand. Her grip was harder than Lightning had expected. He smiled at her. It didn't take long for him to meet the rest of the Autobots.

"Thank you all," he said.

Optimus Prime then gave Lightning an energon cube. Lightning hastily drank it.

"Thank you "he said.

Optimus smiled.

"It's fine "he said. "When you're hungry, help yourself."

Lightning thanked him again.

"What's your first order, Prime? "he asked, looking at him.

"I have no orders for you, Lightning. "

"What? ... "asked Lightning, confused, "but Megatron always gave me orders ... all the time. "

"I am not Megatron, Lightning. I don't give orders unless I have to. Your life is your own. I am not going to run it for you. You're free to make your own decisions."

Lightning was grateful for this freedom.

"Thank you, Optimus Prime. "

Lightning thought back at how Megatron had treated him. He then picked up his gun.

"What are you doing with that? "asked Optimus Prime.

"I am going to kill Megatron. "

"No, Lightning ... "started Optimus Prime.

"Why? "asked Lightning angrily and confused, turning, demanding an answer.

"Killing is wrong, "said Optimus Prime.

"Megatron would have killed me and he didn't care - Now - I want my revenge -- "

Optimus Prime walked in front of him.

"Lightning, wait ... "

"No, Prime. Get out of my way. "

"No Lightning, I ... "

Lightning pushed Optimus to the side and walked on. Optimus walked back in front of him.

"Lightning, I can't let you kill ... "

"I SAID GET OUTTA MY WAY!! "

Lightning violently pushed Optimus Prime onto the floor by the wall. A long thin metal spike stuck through Optimus' shoulder. It started bleeding. Optimus gasped in pain and tried to pull it out, but it cut his hands deeply. They bled a lot. Lightning spun around.

"PRIME!! "he gasped.

He immediately knelt down and broke the spike in half. He then gently took the rest of it out of him, being very careful not to hurt Optimus further. Lightning didn't know what to say. He felt absolutely terrible, and also frightened. There was a period of silence, which was very intense for Lightning. He looked at the deep cuts on Optimus' hands and the blood on his shoulder.

"I ... I ... I'm sorry ..." he said, shivering intensely, frightened. "I ... I didn't mean to hurt you ..."

Lightning was terrified. He knew he was stronger than Optimus Prime and thought now that he'd hurt him, Optimus Prime would want to destroy him. Lightning then gently took one of Optimus Prime's hands and helped him up.

"I'm sorry ... I ..."

Tears began to pour down Lightning's cheeks. Optimus Prime saw how sorry, upset and frightened Lightning was. He could feel him shivering.

"Lightning, it's all right "he said, comfortingly. "I know you didn't mean it."

"What?!" exclaimed Lightning. "You're not angry? You're not going to blast me? Destroy me?"

Optimus Prime put his hands gently on Lightning's shoulders.

"Lightning, I told you, killing is wrong. "

"But I hurt you ... I ... "

"You didn't mean to. I forgive you. I am not going to kill you for a mistake. "

"You really mean that? "

"Of course I do, Lightning. You're my friend. I would never hurt a friend let alone kill. "

Lightning smiled.

"Thank you, Optimus Prime. "

Lightning then gently picked up and carried Optimus to the repair bay and helped to repair his wounds.

"Are you feeling all right? "he asked.

"Affirmative. Thank you, Lightning. "

"It's all right, Prime. Don't mention it. "

Lightning then looked down at the floor.

"I'm sorry, Prime ... I didn't realise that vengeance could ultimately hurt my friends."

Optimus Prime smiled, gently.

"You've learned an important lesson, Lightning "he said, "now you have to control that strength of yours."

Lightning smiled. "Yeah ...I never thought anyone could be this kind "said Lightning, amazed. "Thanks for everything, Prime. "

Optimus smiled.

"It's all right, Lightning, you had a lot to learn and you have learned a lot now. You needed my help. "

"Thank you, Optimus Prime. "

Optimus smiled, glad to help.

 

A few days later, Optimus Prime sent Lightning on his first mission for the Autobots. Lightning made sure he paid attention and was determined not to fail. He was very cautious and tried his best, but even as hard as Lightning tried, he was discovered by the Decepticons and he had to abort the mission. He had failed. To ensure his escape, he blasted Megatron in his stomach. After Soundwave blasted after Lightning and helped Megatron up, Megatron said, "We should have repaired him ourselves ... Now Prime's turned him into an Autobot ... "

Megatron felt angry, but knew there was nothing he could do.

Lightning had failed his mission. He was absolutely terrified.

"I failed ... "he said, his voice shivering. "But I couldn't help it ... They saw me ... Megatron used to curse and abuse me for failure ... He hurt me and said I was worthless ... He almost killed me ... What's Prime gonna do to me? ... I know he's not like Megatron and he says killing is wrong and he also said he was my friend, but he probably hates failure as much as Megatron does ... He's gonna hate me now ... He'll think I'm worthless and wish he'd never wasted his time rescuing me ... "

Lightning sat on a large rock and cried.

I'm scared to go back to Autobot headquarters ... What is Prime wants to hurt me ... Kill me?... I suppose if I don't go back, he'll come hunting for me, and it'll be worse ...

"I have to go back "he said, uneasily, "I hope everything turns out all right ..."

Lightning returned to Autobot headquarters.

"Where were you? "asked Optimus Prime. "We were getting worried about you. "

Lightning said nothing. He was terrified to tell Optimus Prime that he had failed.

"What did you find out? "asked Optimus.

Lightning remained silent, shivering inside. He wanted to lie to Optimus, but then thought that would make the situation worse. Optimus looked at Lightning.

"Lightning, what's the matter?" he asked. "Why didn't you answer me? What did you find out?"

Lightning was too scared to say anything. Optimus saw just how scared he was.

"Did you fail the mission?"

Lightning froze, then said in a very frightened and quiet voice, "It wasn't my fault, Optimus Prime ... They saw me ... Ohhh ... please don't terminate me ... "

Lightning was too scared to even hear what Optimus was about to say. He ran away.

"Lightning, come back! I'm not going to ... "

Optimus then ran after him. Lightning ran on. He then stopped at a dead end with no where to run and no where to hide. He was terrified. Optimus Prime caught up to him.

"Lightning, I ... "

"No ... please ... "

"Lightning, "started Optimus again.

"No ... no ... please don't kill me ..." wailed Lightning, his and his voice shivering. Optimus Prime walked towards him.

"No ... no ... no ..."

Lightning knew there was nothing he could do. He slid on his back, down the wall, crying and shivering. Optimus walked to him and knelt down beside him. He took Lightning's hand, which was shivering intensely.

"Lightning, I'm not going to hurt or kill you."

"What?! ..." exclaimed Lightning, hoping he heard correctly.

"Lightning, "said Optimus Prime. "You are my friend. I told you before, I would never hurt or kill a friend."

Lightning was grateful, but also amazed.

"But Prime, I failed ... I failed the mission. I failed you, after all you've done for me ... I'm sorry ... "

Optimus Prime wiped away Lightning's tears.

"I know what I did for you, Lightning, but you don't have to be sorry. You didn't mean to fail. Failure is natural and sometimes can't be helped. Failure is also good in a way. We learn from failures. I've failed many times. I know how Megatron deals with failure, but that's not my way. I'm much more lenient and forgiving. Anything Megatron is for, I'm against. Anyway, there'll be other missions, Lightning, and if you fail them, don't worry about it. There'll always be another time. "

Lightning dried his tears.

"Thank you, Optimus Prime. I thought you'd think I'm worthless and ... "

"Life is never worthless, Lightning. Friends are worth everything. Even the life of an enemy is worth a lot. I'll always be your friend, Prime, no matter what happens."

Lightning smiled. A tear rolled down his cheek.

"You care so much about everything, Prime. Thanks. I'll always be your friend. "

Lightning and Optimus Prime stood up. Lightning then gave his friend a gentle, friendly hug.

 

*

 

Back to Autobot & Decepticon Fanfic Page

 

Back to Transformers Page