Disclaimers: Saint George (Lucasfilm) crated the Star Wars Universe.  Lucasfilm owned by Disney. George Lucas created the Star Wars Universe. Movies by 20th Century Fox/Disney. I make no Republic Datari {Credits}, Peggats, Truguts, Wupiupi, etc from my fanfic/fanart/fanfunnies.  Story written purely for enjoyment and the only profit I make is the happiness my writing brings.   The Force is With You Always :)

 

 

Summary:  Why Obi-Wan never mentioned Qui-Gon to Luke

 

 

Rating PG

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

~ One With the Universe ~

 

 

Luke and Leia smiled as they saw the glowing forms of Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin together in peace, before joining in the celebrations of the downfall of the Empire at long last.

 

The spirit form of Obi-Wan sat on a rock after Yoda and Anakin had disappeared into the Force and sighed sadly to himself.

 

In the wee hours before dawn, Han Solo was drunk, Luke and Leia were still celebrating, until Luke caught a glimpse of Obi-Wan sitting on the rock.

  "I have to go to him."

Leia nodded and turned to Han, reaching for another drink  "No more for you, Honey."

 

  "Obi-Wan?"

The glowing spirit looked up and smiled, hoping Luke did not see the sadness in his eyes.

  "Hello Luke.  Congratulate yourself.  The Galaxy is safe once more."

  "I didn't do it alone."

  "Of course not, but you saved your father - something I thought could not be done."

  "I knew I had to."

Obi-Wan smiled again, warmly.

  "You look sad," Luke said.  "Is it about Anakin?"

  "No … someone else …" Obi-Wan sighed again.  "I thought he would be there."

  "Who?"

The old Jedi's spirit paused before he spoke.  "An old friend."

  "Was he a Jedi?"

  "Yes, he was."

  "He died didn't he?"

A long pause followed.

  "Yes … yes he did…"

  "I can sense he was very special to you."

  "Yes and it's high time I told you.  He was my Master."

Luke was taken aback.  "Your Master?  But you told me Yoda was your Master."

  "He was after my Master died."

  "Why didn’t you tell me?"  Luke sat down.

Obi-Wan sighed.  "It was too painful … I saw him murdered before my eyes by a Sith Lord called Darth Maul, whom was later to kill.  My master died in my arms."

Luke saw a tear escape.  He asked not how a spirit could cry, but this man obviously meant a great deal to Obi-Wan.

  "I loved him like a father.  He was the kindest and gentlest man I was ever to know and now he is gone."

  "Obi-Wan, I felt that way about you and when you died, I felt so empty … but you never left me."

  "I know … But I never saw him again after that day. Never heard his voice."

  "What was his name?"

  "Qui-Gon Jinn."

  "It's a beautiful name.  What does it mean?"

  "He told me it means 'one with the Universe,' which I guess he is now, but I so much wanted to see him, even once."

  "Tell me about your adventures."

Obi-Wan smiled warmly.  "All right," he said.

 

 

  "So you saved Naboo form the Trade Federation," Luke said.

  "But at a great cost," Obi-Wan replied.  "My Master died saving a world he barely knew.  He cared so much, he's just as soon save a butterfly with wet wings as he would an entire world."

  "He sounds like a beautiful man."

  "He was and he had the kindest eyes I ever saw."

 

Hours after Luke had left, Obi-Wan still sat on the rock, unaware of another glowing form approaching him.

  "Obi-Wan."

The old Jedi looked up in surprise.  "Master …"

  "I am no longer your Master," the other said gently.

  "I know … But why haven't you come to me?"

 "You have to let me go, Obi-Wan."

  "But I can't …" the Jedi Spirit protested. "You were so cruelly taken from me …"

  "My body is all that is gone, but my spirit will never die.  Your sadness pains me greatly, my former Padawan.  You must release that painful memory."

  "I don't know if I can."

  "Do what you think you cannot do."

Obi-Wan smiled.  "I knew you were going to say that."

Qui-Gon smiled also. Obi-Wan stood and sighed.

  "I realise now you are not gone, that you've always been here and I was too blinded by grief to see you, but now I am beginning to release the pain of the past."

Qui-Gon's spirit embraced him.

 

Not so far away, Luke and Leia smiled and Luke was amazed at how gentle Qui-Gon's eyes looked.  He'd just seen the Jedi once, and already mesmerised by his soul's beauty.  The former Jedi Master looked over at Luke and his sister and smiled warmly, before turning back to Obi-Wan.

 

Gently, the spirit Qui-Gon took his former Padawan's spirit's hand.

  "Come, let us leave.  The Universe awaits."

 

              *

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Qui~Gon Page