Disclaimers:  Transformers are owned by Hasbrro.

 

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

 

Summary:  A glimpse into the lives of two Decepticon friends.

 

Author's Note: Apex and Moonlighter created by Seawave. Fic recently revised

 

Rating - PG

 

~~~~~~~~     

 

TRUE FREEDOM

 

 

Apex and Moonlighter had become the best of friends through their missions, mishaps and adventures.  They always accompanied each other on missions and completed assignments together, however were very careful not to reveal how much they cared for each other to the other Decepticons, lest it be seen as weakness. Apex, more reserved in his feelings than Moonlighter in many ways felt like an older brother.

 

   "I wish we could be free," Moonlighter said, his blue eyes dreamy.  "If we were Autobots we could be freer, but who'd wanna join them?"

  "Yeah...those goodie two shoe, self righteous fools..." Apex agreed.  But I doubt Megatron would understand.”

Moonlighter grunted.  “Him ... I doubt he even knows the meaning of the word ‘freedom’.  It’s a wonder we get off duty time at all and even then, we’re on call.”

Apex grunted too.  Freedom seemed an impossible luxury.

 

Later that day, Megatron came to the main control room.  Apex and Moonlighter monitored the computer.

  "I need a volunteer for a spy mission," Megatron announced.

  "We'll go,” Apex said, eager to show Megatron his enthusiasm.  Moonlighter and I."

Moonlighter prepared to join his friend.

  "Wait," Megatron said, "only one of you is to go.  This is an extremely secretive and vital mission.  If both of you go, it'll add to the risk of being captured or detected."

Both Apex and Moonlighter hid their disappointment well.  They hated solitary missions, and being teamed up with others made them uneasy.

  "I'll go," volunteered Apex quickly.  Being stronger and older than Moonlighter, he feared for his friend's safety.

Megatron turned to the other.  "I appreciate your enthusiasm, Moonlighter,” he said. “For now, your task is to run a thorough maintenance check on the main computer."

Moonlighter nodded, dismayed at the boring task.

  “Apex, report to the briefing room in ten minutes.”

  “Yes, Megatron.”

The Decepticon Leader left the room.

  "Are you sure you'll be okay?" Moonlighter asked.

  "Sure," Apex said with a smile.  "This ain't my first solitary mission y’know."

Moonlighter smiled.  "Good luck."

 

After his briefing, Apex transformed into his modified jet mode and blasted off.  He and Moonlighter had a constructed a secret entrance to Autobot headquarters, in the ceiling on the far side of the mountain.  Apex entered and began to crawl along the ventilation shaft.  Although Transformers didn't need to breathe, they disliked stuffiness, and since they were on Earth, many humans visited the headquarters too.

This would be so much better if Moonlighter was here... Spying alone is so boring ...  Apex felt like aborting the mission, but knew if he didn't return with any useful information, Megatron would not be a happy camper.

 

The Decepticon Leader approached Moonlighter just as he had finished his maintenance check.

  "Did you find any anomalies?"

  "No.  Everything's cool."

Truth be known, Moonlighter couldn't give a high flying frenzy about the wretched computer.  He was worried about Apex.

  "Is something wrong, Moonlighter?" Megatron asked.  "You look amiss."

  "Nah, just wonderin’ when Apex' comin’ back."  His cool attitude hid his deep concern.

  "If the Autobots haven't captured him, very soon, I should expect."

Moonlighter didn't know whether to feel worried or grateful.

 

Later that night, Apex returned, greeted happily by his friend.

He smiled.  “Y’know this’ll sound mushy, but it’s nice havin’ such a warm welcome.”

Moonlighter smiled as Apex went to report to Megatron in the main control room.  The spy handed him a disk of the information he had gathered.

  "It contains Optimus Prime's latest battle strategy."

  "Good work, Apex.  With this we can devise a plan to counter the Autobots one and defeat them once and for all."

Apex, for his part, didn't much care about defeating the Autobots, amassing Energon or conquest of the Universe. He just wanted to spend time with Moonlighter.

 

The two accompanied each other one many missions, some of them solitary missions and some with other Decepticons.

 

One time, Megatron came to them.

 "In past missions, Moonlighter, Apex, I notice a decline in quality and quantity in solo missions and those in which you are paired with other Decepticons.  Why is this?"

  "We prefer to work together, Megatron," Apex said. "I find Moonlighter and I have a certain rapport.  We work well together, like a well maintained machine, therefore our results are more desirable when we work together... " This was not a lie.

  "I see," Megatron said.  "In that case you shall accomplish your missions together, as I favour those results."

Apex and Moonlighter hid their excitement.

  "But," Megatron said.  "I need you to prove that you are capable of accomplishing a solo mission well.  I want you, Apex, to go to Autobot headquarters and steal the World Energy Chip from Teletraan I.  It will give us the locations of every worthwhile power hold.  And while you're there, keep your ears open for secret plans.  If you fail this mission, I will not allow you another mission together, until your progress is satisfactory.  Is that understood?"

  "Yes, Megatron," Apex said, hoping with all his heart nothing went wrong.

Moonlighter’s thoughts echoed those of his friend.

 

Apex transformed into his jet mode and tore off to Autobot headquarters.  As usual, he entered the ceiling and crawled along the ventilation shaft.  I can't fail ...  I owe this to Moonlighter and to myself.  Apex crawled along, being very quiet and careful.  He scanned the main control room.  Perfect.  It's empty and unguarded.  Apex used his phaser to phase a hole in the ceiling, which phased back when he leapt through it.  Apex landed in the middle of the main control room.  Suddenly Teletraan I's alarms sounded.  Apex jumped and swore.  He ran to the computer to grab the chip.  Unluckily for him, Skyfire rushed in and blasted his wing.  Apex fell to the floor.  Skyfire rushed to him.  Apex started to stand.

  "Don't move," Skyfire threatened, pointing his gun at the Decepticon.  Apex dared not move.  Unbeknownst to him, Skyfire hoped not to have to resort to violence.  The large Autobot took out an Energon band and clasped Apex' wrists.  Apex struggled, but Skyfire forced him out of the main control room.  In desperation, Apex tried to struggle free, but failed. The Autobot Valkyrie took him into a prison cell. 

 

Alone on the cell, Apex’ worry deepened.  What's gonna happen now?  Am I never going to go on another mission with Moonlighter again?  If he was here, he could have kept guard, and I wouldn't be in this mess, but oh no.  Megatron had to get picky.  Damn this!

 

Skyfire found Optimus Prime.  "I captured a Decepticon spy," he said.  "I took him to a holding cell."

  "Good work.  Did you find out if he learned any information?"

  "No. I didn't ask him.  What are we going to do with him?"

  "Interrogate him.  Can you do that now?  We need to know what he’s learned ... And how did he get inside without being detected by our improved security system?"

  “I wish I knew, Prime.”

 

Skyfire entered the cell.

  "I don’t like this any more than you,” he said.  “Let’s just get it over with, shall we?”

  “Fine by me,” Apex said.

  “What information did you learn?" he asked.

  "Nothing.  Nothing of importance that is. You nabbed me before I could get any information."

  “Good for us ... And now... how did you get in?"

  "How do you think?"

  "How did you get past our new security system?

  "I just did.  Obviously your new and ‘improved’ system fouled up."

  “We’ll have to see about that.”

 

Skyfire turned to leave and Apex saw his chance.  He rammed into the larger Autobot, slammed his bound wrists against his wing, shattering the chain.  The Decepticon grabbed his gun and locked him in the cell. From an access port, he deactivated Teletraan I. Swiftly, Apex made his way into the main control room made to grab the World Energy Chip, however, unfortunately for him, Optimus Prime walked into the main control room and saw him.  He fired at the Decepticon, blasting his shoulder.  Apex fired at Optimus, but the Autobot Leader ducked.  Optimus blasted Apex' defence.  Apex turned, in desperation, ripped open Teletraan's bottom access panel and reached for the chip, but Optimus blasted his other shoulder.  Apex knew Optimus would not let up and he had no desire to become scrap parts.  A band of Autobots came to Optimus’ assistance.  Apex new if he didn't escape now, he might not get the chance.  "I'm going... I'm gone..." He resumed jet mode, although wounded, and damaged, he pushed past them, sporting a few more blasts, but he managed to make it back to Decepticon headquarters.

 

  "You look terrible, Apex..." Moonlighter said, worried.  "Did you get the..."

Apex slowly shook his head.  "I tried, Moonlighter, I really did, but..."

  "Don't be too hard on yourself."

  "But Megatron said if..."

  "I know, but it couldn't be helped."

  “I doubt Megatron will be so understanding.”

Moonlighter walked with Apex to Megatron.

  "You look like Optimus pout you through a laser power trash compactor," the Decepticon Leader grunted.

  "He nearly did."

  "Where's the energy chip?"

Apex dreaded that question.  He had been so close to it, so very, very close ... and he ached that a few seconds more and he would have had it.  He swallowed and explained to Megatron in detail what transpired.

  "You failed."

  "I ... I almost got it."

  "Almost isn't good enough."

  "I learned that the Autobots have a new security system," Apex said, hoping that would help.

  "That is useful to know, but you failed in your primary mission. You and Moonlighter are not to have no further contact with each other until I see fit."

  "But Megatron..." Moonlighter started.

  "But Megatron nothing.  I don't want to see you two together unless under my express authorisation."

  "But that not fair!"

  "Oh, you don't like it, Moonlighter?  Perhaps you'll like this better--"  Megatron raised his fusion cannon and blasted him.

  "Don't!" Apex exclaimed, kneeling beside his friend.

  "Apex, I expressly forbade you and Moonlighter --“

  "But ... but he's hurt."

  "I do not care.  Fortunately for him that blast was low power. He will regain consciousness soon enough and when he does, I want you tell him that I want him to go on a mission to spy on the Autobots."

Apex stood and folded his arms.  "I thought you said I wasn't to have anything more to do with him."

Megaton glared at him.  "Watch your tone.  You have my permission to inform him of his mission.  But if I see you together again, both of you will be sorry. Very sorry."

  "Yes, Megatron," Apex said, upset, uneasy and bitter.

 

Moonlighter groaned.

  "Are you all right?" Apex asked, concerned.

  "I think so.  What happened?"

Apex told his friend what had transpired between him and Megatron.  Moonlighter looked very upset.

  "It's my fault," Apex cursed.  "If I hadn't failed that damn mission..."

  "Don't blame yourself.  You tried your best.  I wish Megatron could understand that."

  "So do I."

Apex helped Moonlighter up.  "Megatron said he wants you to go on a solo spy mission.  If you do a good job, perhaps things will be better.  If we do good, then perhaps he'll reconsider.  And most of all, be careful, My friend."

Moonlighter nodded.  "Good bye, Apex," he said, holding back a tear.

  “Don’t you dare cry.”

  “Sorry, I know you’ll just tell me I’m a sook.”

  “No, you’ll start me off.”

Moonlighter managed a smile and gently took Apex’ hand.

 

Apex watched his friend transform into his jet mode and fly off. He too suppressed a tear, than began to walk to his quarters.  Megatron approached him.  "Has Moonlighter left?”

Apex wanted to snap at his leader, but knew that would only worsen the situation.

  "Yes," was all he said.

  "He'd better not fail."

  "If he does, please don't harm him."

  "If he fails, his punishment is my decision alone. It is not your concern."

  "It is my concern, Megatron.  I understand your reasoning to keep us apart,” Apex thought this tactic would win better merit with his leader.  “However it does not mean we're going to forget each other."

Megatron opened his mouth to say something.  ‘Mind your tone’ or something of that nature and Apex had well and truly had it.

  "Now, if you don’t mind, I’m off duty and as I’m not allowed to greet my friend upon his arrival, I’ll be in my quarters.” Apex turned on his heel, opened his door, retreated into his quarters and slid the door closed behind him.  He expected Megatron to come after him, yelling, threatening, ranting and raving, and was quite surprised when that didn't happen.

Apex sat on the ledge in his room and thought about Moonlighter.  I hope he's safe... I hope everything turns out okay ...

 

Meanwhile, Moonlighter crawled above the ceiling in Autobot headquarters, feeling very, very nervous.  He hated solo spy missions.  The always scared him, and on missions with other Decepticons, he always felt alienated, but he was determined to get everything right.  He tried to stash his nervousness. Apex had taught him that being jittery made it more likely to foul up.  Moonlighter heard Optimus Prime briefing the Autobots on his latest counter attack plan.  The Decepticon spy listened intently, and recorded the information, then started to crawl back to the entrance, being careful not to rush out and make a noise.  However he did not look where he was going and got his foot caught in a groove in the metal.  Moonlighter gasped and jerked.

  "What was that?" asked Red Alert, an Autobot below.

  "Probably nothin, Red," Warpath said.  "You're just jittery."

  "There's trouble somewhere."

  "You always say there's trouble, Red," Hoist said.

  "And I'm going to find it," said Red Alert, confident, as he walked off.

Moonlighter managed to free his foot making as little noise as possible.  He began to crawl away and heard some Autobots talking.

  "I need some action, or I'll rust to dust!" Ironhide complained.  "Things are gettin' borin' round 'ere. "

  "Yeah. I know what y' mean," agreed Windcharger.

Moonlighter crawled on, and heard some more Autobot voices.

  "I can't wait for a battle," said Arcee, arm wrestling with Springer.

  "You can't wait for anything!" he laughed.

Arcee slammed his hand down.  "I win!"

  "Hey!"

They both laughed and began chatting with each other.  Moonlighter smiled, but this was no time to listen to gossip.  He carried on his way.  A sharp piece of metal jabbed into Moonlighter's knee.  He let out a shriek before he realised.

  "Stop," said Red Alert suddenly.  "There's something in the ceiling."

  "Aww, come on, Red..." Warpath complained, but Ironhide shushed him.

  “I think he might be right.  I heard summing too.”

Moonlighter gasped and froze, too frightened to move, in case he made more noise.

  "Are you sure you heard somethin,' Red?"

  "Positive, Hoist."

Ironhide aimed his liquid nitrogen blaster at the ceiling and fired.  Moonlighter tried desperately to scramble away, but fell out from the hole that Ironhide’s weapon had melted and crashed to the floor.  Moonlighter tried to scramble away, but Warpath blasted warning shots at him.

  "Zap!  Zam!  Zowie wam!"

 "I told you there was trouble," said Red Alert.

Ironhide and Red also aimed their weapons at the Decepticon.  Terrified now, for himself and his future with Apex, Moonlighter dared not move.  The Autobots bound his wrists with energon chains and was brought before Optimus Prime.

  "We caught this Decepticon spy, crawling about in the ceiling."

  "That explains how they were able to bypass our new security system."

Optimus lead Moonlighter to a prison cell.  The young Decepticon desperately wanted to escape, but was too frightened.   The Autobots had now discovered their secret passage.  How would spy missions be accomplished now?  And Moonlighter knew Megatron would not be happy about it.  Not in the least.

 

Optimus began to interrogate him.

"How long has that secret passage been in operation and how frequently is it used?"

Moonlighter answered the questions truthfully, terrified of torture.  And since the Autobots now knew about the passage, what harm could it do?

  "What information did you learn, before you were captured?" Optimus asked.

  "Nothing... nothing of relevance," Moonlighter replied. The disk containing Optimus' latest battle strategy was safe inside his chest compartment.

  "What are the Decepticon's latest battle plans?  If you tell me, you’re free to go."

Moonlighter kept silent.  He knew the Decepticons planned to attack the Autobots four days from now.

If Megatron finds out I told them he'll kill me ... He’ll find out that I bungled the mission ... If I can only get this dick to him ... or transmit it somehow ... otherwise my chances of seeing Apex again are a big fat zero.  But if I don't tell the Autbots... they'll...

Moonlighter felt torn apart, and kept quiet.  Patiently, Optimus Prime repeated his question.  In a way Moonlighter wanted to answer.  Perhaps they'd let him go if they did, but if the Autobots were prepared for the attack, Megatron would find out. Again, Optimus repeated his question.  Moonlighter noted the Autobot Leader had not even raised his voice.

  "I don't know.  Megatron hasn't told us any plans."

  "Then why did you take so long to answer me?"

  "Because ... because I ... was trying to think of... well ... something to tell you in case..."

  "What are the plans," Optimus asked, seeing through Moonlighter's lie.   "If you don't tell me, I'm going to have

to-"

  "All right," Moonlighter gasped.  "We're planning a surprise attack four days form now..."

By the tone of his voice, Optimus knew this was the truth.

  "Thank you," he said.

  "Please... please don't tell them that I told you.  Please ... They'll kill me."

  "I understand, Moonlighter," Optimus said, "and I appreciate that it was hard for you to tell me."

As he had promised Optimus let Moonlighter go.  He'd bluffed about the torture.  Autobots did not use that method, unless it was extremely necessary.  Optimus hated interrogations. He had not revelled in the young Decepticon’s fear and unease.

 

  "You took a while," Megatron said. "What did you find out?"

Moonlighter handed his leader the disk.  "Sorry.  It took a while before they said anything worth recording."

Megatron chuckled.  “Sounds like Autobots all right ... wasting their vocal units on idle chit chat.”

Megatron placed the disk inside the computer and accessed it.  Moonlighter thanked Primus the Autobots had not taken it form him.

  "Good work."

  "Megatron, there's something I have to tell both you and Apex."

  "What is it?"

  "The ... the Autobots discovered our secret passage ... Another reason the mission took longer...” Moonlighter hoped Megatron did not question him further. "I managed to escape before they captured me,” the young Decepticon’s fuel pump thudded in his chest. “I have to tell Apex about-"

  "I'll inform him.  Good to see you're obeying my orders."

  "What orders?"

  "The order I gave you two to refrain form being together."

  "Oh, that... Listen, Megatron, could we at least see each other once a day ... once a week at least?"

  "No.  I will decide when or if you are to see each other again."

Moonlighter nodded sadly, hiding his disappointment, then walked away.

 

Megatron found Apex in his quarters, lying on his resting ledge, reading a book.

  "Moonlighter informed me the Autobots discovered your secret passage.  You'll have to find another way to spy on them on your next mission."

  "Okay ... Megatron.  Is he all right?”

  “Yes.  Despite his inexperience and youth, he did not fail me.”

Apex ignored Megatron’s insult at his recent failure.  “Can I please talk to him?"

  "No.  I've told you I will decide when you do.  Do not bother asking again.  If you ask once more, the separation will be permanent."

Apex scowled, then ignored Megatron and turned his attention back to his book as the other left his quarters.

 

The next morning, Megaton and some other Decepticons left to raid a power plant for energy.

 

Moonlighter and Apex took advantage of his situation, quickly went to find each other, and bashed into each other and gasped, both fuel pumps racing.

   "Phew!  Shh ... Listen, we can't let anyone see or hear us.  They might tell Megatron."

  "I miss our times together," Moonlighter said quietly.

  "So do I.  I hope Megatron lets us see each other soon. Moonlighter nodded.  “I hate not even being allowed to see my best friend."

   “You’re so mushy, Moon, but yeah.”

Moonlighter smiled.  Moonlighter whispered to Apex that he had to tell the Autobots of the surprise attack.

  "I hate it when they make it that hard," Apex said, but let's just hope the others don't find out."

Moonlighter smiled.  He trusted Apex not to tell anyone.  He trusted his friend with anything, even his life.

The friends talked to each other for quite a long while, forgetting about the time.

  "We'd better split.  They'll be back soon."

 

Soundwave, hearing voices, as he walked down the corridor, went to investigate.  As he became closed, he recognised the owners of those voices and approached them.

  "Megatron's orders were for you not to be in contact with each other.  He must be informed of this."

  "Don't!"  Moonlighter gasped, his blood running cold.

  "Megaton must be informed," Soundwave repeated.

Apex grabbed him, and grabbed his gun from his leg compartment.    "If you so much as breathe one word of this to Megatron, I'll rearrange your brain, all right?  We're not doing anything wrong.  It won't hurt the glorious Decepticon cause – or Megatron for us to talk ... just for a while.  And, Soundwave, you're the closest thing Megatron has to a friend, right?  I'm, sure you two would love it if you weren't allowed to see each other."

  "Point acknowledged," Soundwave said, "however, I did not fail in my mission.  Megatron has his reasons for-“

  “Yes, Soundwave, I know.  Both Moonlighter and I are deeply sorry.  Do you think I wanted to fail.  I was this close, Soundwave...” Apex held his finders to indicate.  “Believe me - No one is sorrier than I.”

  “Megatron’s orders are absolute.”

  “Soundwave... Please...” Moonlighter struggled to hold back frightened tears.

  "Don't tell him.  I mean it, Soundwave."

Soundwave heard the same fear in Apex’ voice, more apt at hiding it than his friend,

I will not report this to Megatron ... Soundwave thought, I may need these two in future. Moonlighter is more susceptible than Apex... this could work to my advantage...

  "I will not inform Megatron of this," Soundwave declared.  “I believe you both are aware of the breach of your orders.  It will not happen again.”

Soundwave watched the two disgraced Decepticons leave in opposite directions, then went to help the others, returning with quite a hefty stack of Energon cubes from the successful raid.

 

A few days later, Apex had used his share of Energon, however, due to increased activity, he required more. He entered the energon to replenish himself.

 

As he gathered fore more cubes, Megatron entered the room.

  "What are you doing?" he demanded.

  " I've had quite an active day week," Apex replied.  "I require more Energon."

  "You've had your share," Megatron said.  "No more."

  "Megatron, I am low on power.”

  "I have already said no.  Must I repeat myself again? And, Apex, if I find out that you've taken any... Be grateful I don’t reprimand you for not bothering to request an increase in the first place.”

  "All right, all right ... keep your sheet metal on..." Disgruntles, Apex walked off, trying to ignore his stomach pains.

 

Apex wandered to his room, as hard as he tried to ignore his stomach, the worse it became.  It began gnawing away at him.

After a while, Apex couldn't stand it anymore.  After making made sure no one was looking, entered the Energon room, in the dark and drank two cubes, then quickly retreated to his quarters, his stomach thanking him.

 

It was not long before Soundwave’s inventory of eth Energon hold discovered two cubes unaccounted for.  Apex became Megatron’s immediate suspect. The Decepticon in question was no where not be seen, deepening Megatron’s suspicions.  He asked a few Decepticons if they'd seen him.

  "No," Longhaul said.  "What's he done?"

  "He is suspect of stealing Energon."

  "Uh oh," Kickback said.

  "Have you seen him?"

  "Nope"

 

Megatron found Moonlighter in his quarters, like Apex, reading a book.  The Decepticon Leader thought that his troops could find better uses of their time, however Moonlighter was off duty and he was not the object of Megatron’s suspicions.

  "Have you seen Apex?"

  "No. Your explicit orders were for us not to converse with each other.”

  “I did not ask if you’d conversed with thin, I’d asked if you’d seen him.”

  “No, not for a day or so.”  Megatron’s tone made Moonlighter nervous.  “What do you need him for?"

  "I suspect him of stealing energy."

  "He didn't, Megatron.  I mean-"

  "Don't rush to defend him, Moonlighter.  Unless you know more about the situation that I do.  You haven't been in contact with him have you?"

Moonlighter shoo his head.  "Again, no."

  "Glad to hear it, so do not defend him – unless that is you are certain he is innocent.”

  “Are you certain he is guilty?”

  “I do not like your tone, Moonlighter.  In fact both you and Apex are treading on a very thin wire.”

 

Megatron turned and left.  Moonlighter rushed to his computer and located Apex alone in his quarters.  He opened up a secure commu-link.

  "Apex?"

  "Moonlighter!  What in the Cyber Hells are you doin’?  They'll detect the transmission!"

  "It's on a secure channel, but still, I can't talk for long.  Megatron knows about the energy.  He’s lookin’ for you."

  "Ohh Shit ... Good thing I was out this morning..."

  "Did you take it?  I told Megs I didn’t think you did, not that I’d tell him even if you did..."

  “Thanks, Moon.” Apex knew he could trust his friend and he could talk to him safely for at least two minutes before the communication was intercepted by Soundwave.

  "Yes," he said. "I was starvin’..."

  "Just look after yourself... See y' sometime - I hope."

Apex gave his friend s smile.  “Thanks for the heads up.”

 

Moonlighter smiled sadly as he ended the transmission.

  "Do you require a record of this transmission?" the computer's female voice asked.

  "Definitely not.  Delete all reference to it."

  "Task accomplished.  All records of transmission deleted."

  "Thank you."

Not a moment sooner, Megatron entered Apex’ quarters.  Apex looked nonchalant.

  "There are two energon cubes missing," Megatron stated blunt.   "Did you take them?"

  "Why are you asking me?"

  "Because you wanted some."

  "Don’t we all?  Megatron.  I was hungry.  Not stupid."

Apex glared at him.

  “For now, Apex, I will give you the benefit of the doubt, however if I discover otherwise, you will be severely reprimanded...”

 

The Decepticon leader spun and left Apex, quite relieved.  He had quite a knack for being cool under pressure. Now Megatron had gone, Apex flopped onto his resting ledge, thanking the Gods for Moonlighter.

 

The very next day was to be the surprise attack, the Decepticons had planned.

  "The Autobots won't know what hit 'em," laughed Rumble.

  "We got 'em this time ... time," Shrapnel chided.

Megatron smiled.  "We shall emerge victorious!"

 

As they approached Autobot headquarters, they saw no Autobots.

  "We'll trash 'em!" Brawl bellowed.

  "Shut up!" Motormaster snapped.  "Do y' want 'em to know we're here? Keep quiet for once in your life!  If that's possible."

Brawl scowled and stuck his middle finger up.  The Leader of the Stunticons bashed him in the face.  In a rage, Brawl punched Motormaster. The other punched the Combaticon in his stomach.  Brawl fell to the ground and Motormaster kicked him in his stomach.

  "Control yourselves!" snapped Megatron.  "You're behaving like pathetic Earth Germ brats!"

Scowling, Motormaster yanked Brawl up.  The other jerked his hand away.

 

Inside their headquarters, the Autobots waited patiently.

  "Let me at 'em ..." Cliffjumper could barely contain himself.

Optimus restrained him.

 

  "Decepticons, Attack!" Megatron yelled.  "Take no prisoners!  SHOW NO MRECY --"

  "ALL RIGHT!!" Brawl bellowed.  "Stop talkin,' start shootin'!"

The Decepticons, at Megatron's command, began firing away at the entrance to Autobot headquarters.

  "Al-Right!" exclaimed Sandstorm.  "Let's get 'em!"

The Autobots launched an immediate counter attack.

The battle had begun.

   "What?! How'd they know we were gonna attack?" exclaimed Brawl.

Moonlighter hoped they never found out.

  "Finally," Ironhide said, approving.  "Some action!"

  "Yeah!" Arcee agreed, firing away at the Decepticons.

 

During the battle, Apex saw an Autobot about to blast his friend.

  "MOONLIGHTER!!  HIT THE DECK!"

The other Decepticon heeded the warning, and the blast passed him harmlessly.  Apex blasted Grapple.  Megatron approached him.

  "I told you you were to have no further contact with him."

  "That Autobot could have killed him."

  "I told you-"

  "I couldn't let him die, Megatron or come to harm.  And what good is a dead warrior to you.  I would have done the same for any Decepticon.  It just happened to be Moonlighter."

  "All right, Apex. This time."

 

The battle raged on and on.  Superion, an Autobot Gestalt was about to blast Megatron.

 "MEGATRON, LOOKOUT!!" Moonlighter yelled, pushing his leader out of the way from the powerful blast.

Apex gasped and ran to Moonlighter, on the ground with Megatron, to be blasted by Trailbreaker.  The Autobot approached him, weapon trained.  Apex looked up at Trailbreaker, the Autobot's gun trained on him.

  "Don't shoot ... I’m only assisting my fallen comrades."

In respect Trailbreaker lowered his weapon and left Apex with Moonlighter.  Apex watched him go.  The Autobots did care, he thought, even for their enemies. In that moment Apex felt a flicker of respect for his enemies ... Perhaps this senseless war would end someday soon. 

Moonlighter began to stir.  "Ohh..."

  "Why did you go and do a thing like that for?" Apex mock scalded.

  "Do what thing?"

  "Save Megatron. I’d’ve let him get his sorry butt blasted ...”

Moonlighter smiled and chuckled.  "I couldn't let him die, Apex. You know I couldn't and besides, he might let us be together again now."

Apex smiled.  "I sure hope so."

Apex helped Moonlighter back to Decepticon headquarters.  It was only after they had flown half way, when they realised half the Decepticon force would have seen them together.  Perhaps Megatron would be lenient since Moonlighter had saved him? Soundwave carried Megatron, still unconscious.

 

Later during the night, Megatron, fully functional now, entered the repair bay.  Apex and Moonlighter froze.  They had been caught together, and they had no excuse.  Apex knew that someone else could have easily repaired his friend.  They looked at Megatron in silence.

Megatron addressed the younger of the two. "I am grateful to you, Moonlighter.  That was an act of pure bravery and selflessness, but Apex too has to prove his worth if you are to associate with each other."

Both friends felt disappointed, but were quite surprised at Megatron actually acknowledging Moonlighter's act.

  “I will overlook this breach of my orders - this once,” he said, “to show my gratitude.”

  “Thank you, Megatron,” Moonlighter said.

 

A few days later, Dead End, a Stunticon Decepticon had captured a small Autobot spy.

  "Megatron, I caught this one snooping around."

  "Good work."

Megatron saw Moonlighter walk past, and called him over.

  "Moonlighter, I have a task for you. The Stunticons and I are about to embark on a top secret mission, to the World Science Lab, to acquire knowledge of Earth's resources and energies.  I cannot risk too many accompanying me. I want you to destroy this Autobot."

Moonlighter nodded and looked down at the frightened captive, as he tried to struggle away from Dead End.

  "No ... please don't..."

  "Begging for mercy," Dead End chided.  "Why do they bother?"

  "Take him,” Megatron ordered.

 

Moonlighter took the terrified Autobot from Dead End.  The captive tried to struggle away, but Moonlighter was much stronger.  In a way, that made him feel good, not being very strong, himself.

 

Moonlighter took the Autobot to a long, small room.  The small Autobot huddled in the corner.  Truth be known, Moonlighter felt an empathy with the frightened Autobot and pitied him.  He’d never killed before and felt uneasy, but he knew if he didn't, Megatron would kill him, and accusing him of treachery. Slowly, Moonlighter set his gun to kill and aimed it at the small Autobot. The Autobot shook his head in terror.

  "Please don't kill me ..."

Moonlighter could see him shivering. He began to pull back on the trigger, then closed his eyes.

  “Please no ...”

Moonlighter stopped and asked the computer to locate Apex.

  "Decepticon Apex is currently located in his quarters."

  "Computer, transmission to Apex, secure channel, and when the message ends, delete all reference to it."

  "Acknowledged. Channel secured."

Moonlighter spoke to Apex.

  "Moonlighter, if you get caught..."

  "It's a secure channel.  I need you to here. Right away."

  “Moonie, if we get caught...”

  “I know ... I ...”

  “I’ll come...”

  “Thanks...”

The small Autobot became confused by the transmission, however was relieves his brains were still intact.


Apex arrived very soon after Moonlighter had ended the short transmission.  He made sure no one else was around.

  "What is it?"

  "Megatron ordered me to kill this Autobot."

  "Well? So."

Moonlighter took a deep breath.  "I can't do it, Apex  ... I just can’t."

  "Why not?"

  "I just can't.  I mean look at him.  He's helpless, so scared... I ..."

The small Autobot looked confused, and frightened.

  "Moonlighter, the Autobots are our enemies..."

Moonlighter jerked.  Apex had never raised his voice like that to him before. 

  "I know, Apex, but I ..."

  "They’re our sworn enemies," Apex repeated, his voice now calm.

Again Moonlighter aimed his gun at the Autobot, who shut his eyes, and begged him not to shoot.  Moonlighter threw his gun to the floor.  "No ... I just can't do it."

  "I don't believe this, Moonlighter!"  Apex set his gun to kill, aimed it at the Autobot spy and began to pull back on the trigger.

  "Apex, don't ..." Moonlighter urged.  "Please don't."

  "I have to, Moonlighter."

  "I know they’re our enemies, but look at how small, frightened and helpless he is.  Apex, it's just not fair ... I mean when I was captured, they would have killed me, I mean Optimus Prime was going to torture me."

  “And so, why should we spare his spy?”

  “Apex, please ... it’s just not right...”

Apex grunted.

  "All right ... Gods Moonlighter, you’ll get us both killed...” then he smiled as he looked into his friends eyes, and saw the sincerity in them.  He sighed and lowered his gun. “All right," he said gently.  "I'm sorry."

Moonlighter was the most understanding person he knew, and there was no way Apex could change that, and he didn't want to either, in fact, he began feeling ashamed of himself as he looked down at the Autobot.

  "Now... what are we going to do with him?  If Megatron finds out that you didn't kill him, he won't be very happy and he’ll blast the little guy himself."

  "I know.  Don't tell anyone about this..."

  "Hey, Im your best friend. And if I told anyone it’ll be my ass too."

Moonlighter smiled.  No matter what, he trusted Apex with his life.

  "We need to help the Autobot escape."

  “Gods, Moonlighter, are you sure you’re not an Autobot yourself?”

The other smiled, than thought for a moment.  Here he was saying his best friend was like an Autobot and moments before was saying that Autobots were their enemies and raised his gun to kill one of them.  Ironic, wasn't it?

  "Thank you ... but I don't understand," the small Autobot said, confused.  "Why are you doing this?"

  "I guess, well..." Apex began, "...I guess ... friends do stupid things for one and other.”

Moonlighter smiled. “ What’s your name, Little guy?” he asked.

  “Bumblejumper,” the red Autobot replied.  “I’m usually stationed on Cybertron.”

  “After this I’ll bet you want to go back there, right,” Apex said.

The little Autobot smiled.

  “Look, little fella .... just don’t tell anyone about this all right?”

  "I won't.  Thank you.  I’ll always remember what you both did for me."

Moonlighter created a faux anomaly on the fare side of the base, diverting the attention of Soundwave and the other Decepticons, while Apex made sure the coast was clear, then transformed and flew the grateful Autobot to safety, then returned to Decepticon headquarters.

  “I should have Soundwave check me out,” he said.

  “Why’s that?”

  “I have this warm, fuzzy feeling.”

  “Too late.  That means you’re going to die.”

Apex chuckled.  “You sure it’s safe?”

  “It hasn’t killed me yet.”

  “It will of Megatron finds out what we did, and speaking of Megs, we’d better split.  If he sees us fraternising...”

 

By the look on Megatron's face when he returned, Moonlighter known in an instant, the mission had not been a success.

  "Did you destroy that Autobot?" Megatron snapped.

  "Yes."

  “What did you do with his body?"

  "I set my gun to vaporise. You didn't tell me you wanted spare parts."

Megatron nodded.  “In retrospect, it’s a pity I didn’t ask you to take him to a prison cell. Blasting an Autobot to pieces right now would be quite therapeutic."

Moonlighter left his leader to fume, and hoped he never found out what really transpired.  He had no desire to become therapy himself.

 

 

Megatron had left for to Cybertron with Soundwave to assist Shockwave to fight off the growing Autobot resistance movement. He was due to return within the month, and he had left orders for his fellow Decepticons on Earth.

 

Apex’ orders were to spy on the Autobots.  The Constructicons had tunnelled underneath the headquarters and made a new passageway.  The ventilation system was now fully alarmed and facilitated to trap Decepticon spies and thus was no longer safe as a spy tunnel.

 

  "Come with me," he said to Moonlighter.

  "But what if Megatron finds out?"

  "He won't, unless you’re gonna tell him."

  “Yeah, first thing when he gets back.”

Apex chuckled.  Moonlighter eagerly joined his friend.  They left Decepticon headquarters, careful not to let themselves be seen together.

  "We've gotta try our best not to get captured, otherwise... things could get a liiiitle complicated."

  "That goes without sayin’," Moonlighter swallowed.

The two arrived at Autobot headquarters, entered the new secret passageway and began to crawl along the tunnels.

  "The good old days..." Apex said, quietly.  "I miss my missions with you, Moonlighter."

The other smiled.  "Same here."

 

They crawled about for quite some time, but learned no useful information.

  "We'd better split.  We'll be able to cover a wider area that way, in less time and one of us has got to find something."

Moonlighter agreed.  "Be careful."

  "You too."

They crawled off in different directions.  Unbeknownst to the two Decepticons, but the Autobots had since improved their security system.  Moonlighter was detected as he touched an infra red ray, and soon captured.  His lubricant ran cold and he hoped with all his heart Apex would escape detection. 

Elita One, visiting from Cybertron led him to the holding cells.  In a panic, Moonlighter broke free and ran, frantically trying to find the exit to escape, but Elita blasted him. 

  "Don't move," Elita warned, her weapon trained on him.  She allowed him to stand.

 

Elita brought Moonlighter before her brother and leader, Optimus Prime.  Moonlighter knew it would do him no good to try to escape now.

  "Good work, Elita, I'm glad to see our new security system works."

  "I'm not," Moonlighter grunted, a little louder than he would have liked.

Optimus almost smiled as he bound the prisoner’s wrists together with Energon bands and lead him into a prison cell.

  "Is there anyone with you?" he asked.

  "No," Moonlighter said, a little too quickly.

  "Who is with you?"

Moonlighter kept quiet. Optimus Prime repeated his question. The Decepticon still said nothing.

  "I need to know who is with you ... " the Autobot leader said, calm.

  "No one."

  "I can tell you're lying."

  "I can't tell you ..."

  "It's a viscous circle, this war," Optimus said, "sometimes I wonder if either side will triumph, but you have to understand that I can't let the Decepticons run amok around my headquarters and report all my plans to Megatron."

  "I understand that, but -- there he is!"

Optimus, to his credit did not take the bait, however the Autobot Leader blinked, and in doing so Moonlighter rammed into him, pushing him out of the way and bolted.  Springer, another Autobot saw him and blasted after him, joined by Arcee.  Some of the blasts were too close for comfort, and Moonlighter shrieked.

  "Sounds like you, Arcee!" Springer laughed.

  “More like you.”

Springer grabbed her arm, drew her roughly towards him and kissed her, all the while, firing after Moonlighter.  Three of Springer's blasts hit him.  Moonlighter fell to the floor, unconscious.

  "I got 'im, Prime," Springer yelled, releasing Arcee.

  "I oughta sock you one!"

Optimus hurried to the scene. "I had hoped this wasn't necessary, bring him to the repair bay.   One blast would have been sufficient, Springer, in a non vital system."

The green Autobot hung his head.  “Sorry, Prime.”

 

Optimus lay Moonlighter on a repair bed.  The Autobots wondered what to do with him.  Clearly he was frightened, and they did not like hurting others.  Optimus began to talk about this with some of his fellow Autobots.

 

At that moment Apex was crawling underneath the main repair bay.

 "Oh no!" he gasped, as he heard the Autobots talking.  "I have to help him, even if it means jeopardising the mission."

Apex phasered a hole above him and entered the headquarters.  He walked toward the main repair bay, and saw the door was open.

  "What are we going to do with him?" Hoist asked.

  "I'm not sure..." Optimus said.

  "Don't hurt him," came a voice from behind.

The Autobots in the repair bay spun around to see Apex.  He held his arms out, and his gun in a non threatening manner, then placed it onto the floor. "I'm unarmed ... We both came on a spy mission, but discovered no useful information."

  “By useful you mean nothing you can use against us,” Hoist scrutinised.

  “Hoist,” Optimus held his hand up, then turned to Apex. "Why did you blow your cover?" he asked, puzzled.

Apex paused for a moment.   "I know this may be hard for you to believe, Prime, but Moonlighter's my friend.  My only friend."

  "Friend?"

Apex nodded.  "Please don't hurt him ..."

Optimus could see just how nervous the Decepticon was.

  "How did you escape detection?"

Apex told Optimus about the new passageway.

  "Why are you telling me this?"

  "Because I care for my friend.  To tell you the truth, Prime, we're both through with damn stupid war.  I'm so sick and tired of spying on you Autobots, telling Megatron what I learn, and some Autobot spy telling you Megatron's plans, terrified of failure, worrying for my friend when he’s on a spy mission and him worrying for me, and believe me, he’s such a worry wart...”

Optimus smiled at that.

  “Megatron’s even forbidden us to have contact with each other,” Apex said, “thanks to my failure to get the world energy chip ... Don’t get me wrong, Prime, I fully understand your position, and I’m sure you understand mine. It’s a damn vicious circle.”

  “That it is.”

  “If you really must know, Optimus Prime, I’d rather be reading a book or flying off somewhere with Moonlighter than having to spy, fight and kill. Sometimes I wonder what it's all for anyway."

Optimus looked at Apex with deep respect.  "I wonder that same thing everyday.  I’m sorry it came to this. To his credit, Moonlighter did not below your cover. I am not going to harm your friend.  I never intended to.  Springer has been reprimanded for unnecessary violence."

  “Thank you.  That’s’ a relief, though I’m puzzled, is this not the torture room?”

  “Torture room?” Optimus became thrown by the question.  “No, this is our repair bay.”

  “Repair bay?”

  “Apex... We don’t even have a torture room.”

  “You don’t?”

Optimus shook his head. 

Apex looked puzzled.  “Moonlighter’s always been afraid of torture.  Twice, he’s been captured he’s told me you said you had no choice but to-“

Optimus smiled and chuckled.  “I was referring to our mind probe.  It’s actually completely painless.”

  “Oh ... really?”

  “Yes.  It appears both sides know so little about the other.  Ratchet will repair your friends wounds.”

  "Thank you, Optimus Prime.  It's a pity we're enemies."

 

As Ratchet repaired Moonlighter, Optimus Approached Apex.

  "I have something to ask you.  Do you and Moonlighter wish to change sides?"

Apex shook his head.  "No.  As I said, I'm through with the war. Whether we’re Autobots or Decepticons, it'll be the same and if we switch, we’ll have the added grief of being branded traitors. We're both leaving.  Maybe we'll return someday, when the war's over, perhaps if Autobots and Decepticons ever decide to live in peace.”

Optimus nodded.  "With all my heart, I hope that day comes soon. I understand your decision, Apex, but what about Moonlighter?  Will he see as you do?”

  "He’s the one who inspired me, Optimus, the day he was ordered by Megatron to kill Bumblejumper.”

  “Who escaped when Moonlighter tried to blast him he told me.”

  “Who Moonlighter refused to kill because he values life and did not want the blood of a helpless, frightened child on his hands and I being a loyal Decepticon, did my duty and raised my gun to kill the spy.  Moonlighter’s the one who talked me out of it and shamed me and we helped him escape and asked him not to tell anyone.  We did not want our brains blown out any more than Bumblejumper did.”

Optimus stared at Apex.  “I see in your eyes you speak the truth.  From the deepest reaches of my heart, I thank you for saving my little friend and it is my pleasure to help yours.”

 

Gently, Ratchet repaired Moonlighter.  Optimus let both Decepticons go.

 

Apex and Moonlighter flew in their jet modes, the long way back to Decepticon headquarters.

Apex told Moonlighter everything he told Optimus Prime.

  "I've always wanted to escape the war, but how can we?"

  "Let’s just do it, hey?  Let’s just blow this joint, fly into space and keep going.”

  “Apex, I love you.”

The older Decepticon chuckled.  “The feeling’s mutual.”

 

A voice sounded over Apex’ communicator.

  "Apex, Moonlighter! I need not tell you how annoyed I am."

The two transformed into robot mode.

  "Megatron."

  "Very perceptive.  You do remember my orders?"

  "Yes I do, and frankly I'm sick of them.  You know Moonlighter and I work better as a team so you're hindering our performance. I’m sick of pretending not to notice my only friend when he walks past, and risking my life just to say ‘hi’ to him and he for me.  Busting a gasket to impress you, to complete missions and you still not letting up one jot.  Quite, frankly, Megatron, you can stick your orders where Alpha Centauri doesn’t shine.”

Moonlighter stared at his friend, mouth open, dumbfounded, and impressed at the same time.

 

Although Megatron said noting for the next few moments, Apex could almost his rage. Come to think of it, it was quite funny witnessing Megatron's hair trigger temper, when you were not within range of his fusion cannon, that is.

  "You both will return to Decepticon headquarters to be punished for your insubordination.  Pray I do not decide to terminate you.  And you will give me any information you gathered.”

  "Well, unfortunately, Megs,” Apex said, “we didn't find any. Nothing useful that is.  You know the Autobots and their idle chit chat.  And they captured Moon, and I had to help him, and they also discovered the Constructicons passageway."

  "Apex...” the other noticed Megatron’s voice was deceptively calm. “You’ve either over-energised and are roaring drunk or you have a severe death wish.  You and Moonlighter’s separation is now indefinite... Recently, Soundwave informed me of your little meeting - and that you threatened him and I’d be a fool to think this is the only contact you’ve had behind my back.  I've a good mind to terminate you both ... but I will allow you to live, this time."

  "Well, thank you, Megatron.  You must be in a good mood today, but I'm afraid Moonlighter and I had had it with you, your orders, fighting, killing, spying ... and the senselessness of war.  We’re through.”

This time, Megatron didn't bother to hide his fury. "You filthy TRAITORS!

  "Traitors, Megatron?” Apex said.  “We’ve not joined the Autobots, nor did we even consider doing so.  We’ve liberated ourselves.  We’ve become allegiance neutral.”

   “We’re only sorry it took us so long to find our freedom, and the courage to take the risk," Moonlighter said, and he snapped the communicator off, not giving a damn what his ex-leader thought.

Apex smiled.  "Damn straight.  Now let’s go before he sends the that egomaniac Starscream after us."

  "Where to?"

  "Anywhere but here. Maybe we'll come back when the war's over - if the Autbots and Decepticons haven't annihilated each other in the process ...  And there's a rather interesting bar I've heard about ... It's quite far and it'll take a few weeks to get there, but from what I hear, all sorts of life forms hang out there in peace, even Transformers.  It's on the 'Edge of the Universe' they say."

  "Sounds like fun," Moonlighter agreed.  "What's it called?

  "The Interplanetary."

 

Both knew this would be a start to the life they had always yearned and ached for - to be free. Apex placed his arms around his friend and did not bother to hide his feelings or his tears.  With all his heart, Moonlighter returned the embrace and gently held his friend for a long time.

 

The two Transformers blasted off into space, hearts alight, knowing no one could ever separate them again.  A sacred friendship forged in the fires of Souls, forever unbroken.

 

 

*

 

 Back to Decepticon Page

 

Back to TransFormers Page