Disclaimer:  Knight Rider was created by Glen A. Larson.

 

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic.

 

Summary:   KARR is repaired.

 

Author's note:  Similar to "Dude, Where's My K.A.R.R.," but different - set in KR Universe.  Based on a dream I had 4/1/05.

 

Rating PG

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

KNIGHT RIDER

 

K.A.R.R. TROUBLE

 

 

Juliana watched in horror as KARR exploded.  She sighed with dismay, seeing his parts strewn all over the sand.  She waited until KITT and Michael had left the scene before investigating.  She was relieved to find KARR's CPU still functional.  Carefully, she picked it up.

KARR could feel hands around him.  Was it Michael?  Would he be destroyed for sure?  The only thing he knew for sure was the hands were warm.  He could not see, he could not speak, he could not hear, but he could feel and right now he was afraid.

  "Don't worry, Karr," Juliana said.  "I'm gonna take good care of you.  I'm gonna make you good as new.  No I'm gonna make you better."

She picked up his slightly burnt EBS (Emergency Schematic Blueprint) and left the scene.

 

Juliana secured a 1982 Trans-AM Pontiac Firebird model and began working on KARR.  Fortunately for her and KARR she had most of the parts on hand, though some she had to shop around for.  She was only missing an alpha circuit.

 

As for FLAG, they were blissfully unaware of KARR's predicament.

 

            *   *   *

 

Within a month, Juliana had finished KARR.

  "There you go, better than new."

KARR was silent.

  "Karr?" Juliana asked.  "What's the matter?  Kitt got your tongue?"

  "Hardly."

  "That's more like it.  So how do you feel?"

  "Where am I?"

  "You're in my double garage," Juliana replied, though it looked more like something out of Star Trek.

  "How did I get here?  The last thing I remember was blowing apart …"

  "I brought your CPU here and repaired you," Juliana replied.

  "You repaired me?"

 She nodded.

  "Thank you, but why?"

  "You don't remember me, do you?"

  "Remember you?  We have just met."

Juliana smiled.  "I worked on you, KARR."

  "Yes, you told me that you repaired me.  I have that information in my data banks."

  "Before that, Karr.  I worked on you with Wilton Knight."

  "Wilton Knight abandoned me."  KARR's voice had an edge.

  "I know.  We had an argument about you, Karr.  I argued for you, Wilton against.  He won out of course.  I tried to take you, but he discovered and fired me."

   "So Wilton abandoned you as well."

  "You could say that."

  "Well it looks like we have something in common.  Perhaps we should pay the old man a visit.  Get in." KARR opened his door.

  "I'm sorry to say this, Karr, but Wilton died five years ago."

The Trans Am closed his door and was silent for a while.  "He … he was like a father to me."

  "Myself as well."

  "Then why did he abandon me?"

  "I asked him the same question.  He felt you were a danger.  I felt otherwise.  He kept on going on 'in the wrong hands Karr could be a menace,' but I argued 'in the right hands …' " Juliana shook her head, "but Wilton just wasn't interested."

KARR grunted.

  "What about a test drive?" Juliana asked.

  "You’re on."

 

She drove KARR to the desert and back.

  "You’re somethin' else, Karr."

  "Thank you.  Shall I Turbo Boost?"

  "What the hell?  Go for it."

KARR did as he was asked.

  "Whoooooh!"

  "Was that to your liking?"

  "Was it ever?  I was never allowed to drive you when I worked on you."

  "Would you like me to do it again?"

  "Can a dolphin swim?"

KARR Turbo Boosted again.

When he came to a halt, he asked.  "What do you want me for?"

  "Karr?" Juliana asked, not sure she understood the question.

  "Tony and the Rev wanted me to commit a series of crimes. John Stanton and his girlfriend wanted me for them to look cool.  Eddie wanted me for yet another crime.  What do you want me for?"

Juliana told him.  Karr's new redlight scanner tracked back and forth with the same sounds as KITT's.

 

            *   *   *

 

  "I'm getting some strange readings," Bonnie said.  "Like a signal echo from Kitt coming from the Mojave desert."

  "That's supposed to be impossible," Michael said.  "And it can't be Karr, be blew the crap out of him."

  "Nevertheless," Devon said, "I want you to investigate."

  "I don't like this," KITT said.

 "That makes two of us, Buddy," Michael said.

  "If it is Karr," Devon said, "we have our work cut out for us."

KITT and Michael rolled out of the Semi.

 

  "Michael you don't think it's Karr do you?" KITT asked when they were on the road.

  "I don't know, Kitt, but like Devon said, if it is, we have work to do."

  "Who could have repaired him?"

  "Let's not jump the gun here.  Let's find out if it really is Karr first."

  "I'm not sure I want to know."

  "We have to know, Buddy."

  "I know that, Michael."

KITT sped off in the direction the signal echo came from.

 

The signal became stronger.

  "Silent mode and time to make yourself scarce, Buddy."

  "You mean hide?"

  "That's exactly what I mean.  If Karr's about we don't want him to sense or see you."

KITT hid behind a large rock and shut down most of his functions.  Sooner rather than later a black Trans Am sped past.

 

  "Did that licence plate read what I thought it read?"

  "I'm afraid so, Michael."

  "Damn."

  "My thoughts exactly.  And who was that driving him?  Do you think they repaired him?"

  "Did you get a picture?"

  "Do whales sing?"

Michael smiled.  KITT's screen showed the driver.

  "Michael, do you think she repaired Karr?"

  "I don't know, perhaps.  Let's get this back to Devon."

  "What about Karr?"

  "We don't want to spook him for now.  We can keep track of his sonar."

  "Good thinking, Michael."

 

            *   *   *

 

  "Juliana Thomson," Devon said.

  "You know her?"

  "Yes. She worked for FLAG before Wilton died.  He fired her when she tried to steal Karr.  She was Karr's technician."

  "My goodness," KITT said.

  "So that explains who repaired him," Knight said.  "The question is why?"

  "Juliana and Wilton fought like cats and dogs over Karr.  I remember coming in on one such argument.  Wilton argued that Karr was a danger.  She argued that in the right hands Karr could be an asset."

  "And Wilton won out, obviously."

  "Yes," Devon said.  "To which she tried to steal Karr one night and was caught and fired."

  "So now they both have a grudge against FLAG."

  "I'm afraid so."

 

            *   *   *

 

  "You still need an alpha circuit," Juliana said, "and I know of only one place where we can get one, but there are some things I need to do before we get it."

Juliana replaced KARR's licence plates with KNIGHT.

  "Is this really necessary?" KARR asked.

  "Yes, if you're to pose as Kitt."

  "Ahh, I see."

  "Can you synchronise Kitt's voice?"

  "How's this?" KARR said in KITT's voice.

Juliana smiled.  "Now can you create a hologram of Michael in the drivers seat?"

KARR did so.

  "Perfect.  Can you synchronise Michael's voice as well?"

  "Can a dolphin swim?"

 

*   *   *

 

KARR rolled up the ramp of the Semi.  Juliana curled up in the trunk, the trunk window blackened out.

KARR spoke in KITT's voice.  "Bonnie, my alpha circuit shorted out.  I'm going to need a new one."

  "Your alpha circuit?  Michael what have you done this time?"

  "Nothing, Bonnie," the hologram said.

  "Kitt?" Bonnie asked.

  "Bonnie, no comment." KARR replied, quite proud of his acting.

The technician smiled and shook her head.  "I'll get the parts."

Moments later, she returned with them.

 "If you don't mind, I'd like to install them myself, Bonnie," Michael said.

 "Michael?"

 "I need to learn more about KITT's circuitry.

Karr opened his door.

  "Hurry, we have a Karr to catch," 'Michael' said.

 "I believe we've caught one," Devon said, coming out of the communications room.  "Michael just radioed me."

  "Well there's no point in keeping up this charade," KARR said.  The hologram of Michael disappeared.

  "So no circuits for you I'm afraid."

  "Oh, you disappoint me, Devon.  You should know that I always have an ace up my sleeve so to speak.  KARR unblackened his trunk window, showing Juliana inside.

  "How about I blow all the air out?"

Juliana began to suffocate.  "Karr?"

  "My Dear, you don't seriously think you meant anything to me do you?"

Juliana wanted to cry.

  "That's just like you, Karr," Devon said.  "Using people to get what you want."

  "Well do I get the parts, Devon, or does she die?"

Devon motioned to Bonnie.

  "Open the door," Bonne said. " I'll give you the parts."

  "But only if you let Juliana go."

  "Deal."

KARR opened his door and his trunk.  Bonnie placed the parts on his front seat.  KARR slammed his door and hood once Juliana had scrambled out.

  "Now unless you all want to become part of this truck, I suggest you let me go."

The back of the Semi opened and KARR escaped.

   "Damn!" Devon swore.  He then looked at Juliana, his face maddening, but when he saw her crying, he softened.

 

Michael returned with KITT.

 "Karr paid us a visit," Devon said.

 "The semi looks intact."

 "He posed as KITT with a hologram of you in the drivers seat no less.  He threatened kill Juliana if we didn't give him the parts he needed."

 "He … he was my baby…" Juliana wailed.

 "Karr is hardly a baby," Devon said.  "Do you see the menace you've unleashed?"

Juliana sniffed.  "Can you blame him?  All his life humans have treated him like a thing."

  "Well he has to be stopped," Knight said.

 "Agreed," KITT said.

Juliana placed her face in her hands as they drove to FLAG HQ.

 

            *   *   *

 

  "Juliana's gone," Bonnie said.

  "Where would she go?"

  "Where you think?" Devon asked.

  "You don't think she'd go back do you?"

  "She loves that car," Devon said, "God only knows why."

  "After what he did to her?" Bonnie asked, incredulous.

  "Love does strange things," Michael said.

  "Where would she start even looking for him?"

  "Knowing Juliana she has an ace up her sleeve."

  "Kitt," Michael spoke into his wristwatch.  "Did you see anything?"

  "People come and go here all the time, Michael, she simply slipped into the night."

  "I've installed an immobiliser into KITT's circuitry."

  "That's great," Michael said.  "We won't let Karr get away."

 

            *   *  *

 

Juliana found KARR in her garage.

  "I thought you'd come back here."

  "Well, well, well," KARR said.  "Come for some more punishment?"

Juliana sighed.  "Karr, I know how you feel toward humans and I can't blame you.  All they wanted to do was use you.  All I want to do is help you."

  "And I suppose you have Michael and Kitt right behind you?"

  "Scan the area."

  "I detect no one but myself and yourself and a black feline across the street."

  "Exactly.  No one to cause you any harm.  I want to help you, Karr.  Who did you think would install your new Alpha circuit?  Devon?  You didn't think of that, did you?"

KARR backed off.  "You are trying to trick me."

  "Scan me, do you detect I'm lying?"

  "No," KARR said after a while. "You do not appear to be lying."

  "Let me help you."

  "After what I did to you?"

Juliana sighed.  "Just call me a glutton for punishment."

KARR allowed her to install the circuit. He was amazed that she did not hesitate to climb underneath him.  He realised that she trusted him fully.

  "I am whole again," he said after Juliana had finished.

  "Yes, and we better get out of here.  It won't take them long to find my address."

  "You are right," KARR said.  "Get in."

  "You promise not to suffocate me this time?"

  "I promise."

Juliana was about to get into KARR when KITT crashed into the garage.  The other Trans AM immediately fired the immobiliser.

  "No!" Juliana yelled.

  "I cannot move," KARR said.

  "I've Immobilised, you, Karr," KITT said.

  "Release me."

  "Not on your life," Michael said.

  "Let him go, please," Juliana said.

  "I'm afraid I can't," Michael said.

 

To KARR's utter embarrassment, he was towed back to FLAG HQ.  Juliana rode in KITT with Michael, arms folded, she said nada word to either of them.

 

  "You realise Karr's a menace," Michael said when they arrived.  "He even tried to kill you."

  "He didn't know if he could trust me.  He thought I'd just use him in the end."

KARR heard every word.

 "You really do love him don't you?" Bonnie said.

 "Like you love Kitt."

Bonnie smiled sadly.  "I wish there was something I could do."

  "Perhaps there is."

 

  "I'm afraid Karr must be dismantled."

  "Devon, you can't!" Juliana protested.  "Please!"

She began to cry.

  "I'm sorry, Juliana, but he's a -"

  "Menace. It seems everyone things that's his middle name."

  "It is," Michael said.

  "Karr must be dismantled," Devon said again.

  "That word is so cold," Juliana sobbed.

  "So is Karr," Michael said.

  "What if we reprogram him?  Just change his basic program, make it more like Kitt's. Please, it's worth a try. Please, Devon."

The older man gave in with a sigh. "All right, but if it doesn't work-"

  "Let's not even go there," Juliana said.

 

            *   *   *

 

Juliana. Devon, Michael, Bonnie and KITT stood around KARR.

   "Karr, how are you feeling?" Juliana asked.

  "Apart from an overwhelming desire to protect human life, I feel fine."

Juliana smiled.

  "It's not so bad, is it, Karr?" Devon asked.

  "I suppose I have you to thank for this, Miles?" KARR said.  "After all my life was in your hands."

  "And let us hope you make good with your second chance, Karr."

  "I plan to.  And you," he said to Juliana.  "How can I ever thank you, even after what I did to you …"

 "Karr ... I … I love you." Gently she kissed his hood.

KARR paused for a moment before he spoke.  "The feeling … is mutual."

Michael smiled.

 "That's how I feel about Michael," KITT said.  "Good for you, Karr."

  "Thank you, Kitt. Now I must bid you all adieu."

Juliana climbed into KARR's driver's seat.  "Where to, Miss?"

  "Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning."

  "You got it."

KARR sped off into the night.

 "I've a funny feeling we'll see him again." KITT said.

  "So do I, Buddy," Michael said.  "So do I."

 

 

                                                                                    *

 

Received 2 votes in the 2005 Edward Awards for "Best Short Story"

            1 vote for "Best Old Timer Story"

                        1 vote for "Best Canon Fic"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Back to Knight Rider Page