Disclaimer:  Twilight Universe created by Stephenie Meyer  {Movies by Summit Entertainment}  Thank you!

 

No monetary profit is being made from this writing.  Fanfic is a labour of Love J

 

Author’s Note:  My very first Twilight fanfic J Set after Eclipse, but before Breaking Dawn.

 

Rating: PG

 

Summary:  Choose Your Side … Team Cullen; Team Volturi … In this colossal, deciding battle between two proud and determined Vampire families. 

 

No Mercy.   Winner Takes All.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

TWILIGHT THUNDER

 

 

Beneath a gigantic, ominous thundercloud darkening with each passing moment, the two families stood their ground.   The weather had changed so suddenly. Not an hour ago, the sun shone brightly here, now devoured without notice, mercy or provocation.

 

Esme turned to Bella, the girl frozen on the spot as if she’d looked Medusa straight in the eye.

 

            “Don’t be afraid... You’ll be all right,” the sweet, caring vampire assured.

Barely moving, Bella nodded and whimpered, shivering as though the battle was to take place in the Antarctic.  Her foot shifted uncomfortably, upon the now dark and cold grass.  This meadow held fond memoires; she’d once lain here with Edward upon the soft purple flowers, warm sun caressing the grass, Edward’s skin sparkling like diamonds.  Here, for the first time she’d truly felt loved. Here the Cullens had played an amazing, exciting, electrifying baseball game with the willing assistance of a thunderstorm, like nothing Bella had ever seen, and yet it was also the place the sadistic James had first smelled her tantalising blood and begun the terrifying hunt, and Victoria, his mate had sworn a savage revenge.  It was also the place Laurent, their confidant had almost killed her and would have had it not been for the Wolves’ intervention and what an ordeal that had been… And then that terrible battle between Victoria’s crazed newborns and the Cullens… A blessing the Wolves had agreed to help … Even though the fight had, in the end found its way to her and Edward’s hideout, Bella had worried for them so, tiny Alice, motherly Esme and gentle Carlisle, especially …They had prevailed in the end, thank goodness no one had been hurt… However a run-in with the Volturi Guard that night had left Bella very, very uneasy… This meadow held bittersweet feelings, and now … would it hold another sweet memory or a terrifying one?  Bella swallowed as Aro turned to her and flashed a smile, his pale, silvery complexion illuminated against the darkening sky.  Edward seemed to slide upon the grass…at her side in an instant. He had been right across the field; time had no meaning here and now it seemed.  Bella, a little more confident and reassured now as he placed cold arms around her.  To her, they felt warmer than the arms of the Sun God Apollo.

 

Aro chuckled softly, then diverted his cold gaze to his family.

“Take your positions,” he ordered. 

Without question, they did so.

 

The Cullens stood their ground as the Volturi moved.  Renata stayed close to Aro.  Silent glances, glowering and a sadistic smirk from Jane, warily they watched.  No one spoke, until Aro turned to Carlisle, the Cullen Clan’s leader’s immaculate hair now out of sorts as the wind picked up. 

 

Aro eyed his opponent with mutual respect, however no sympathy.      

“I warn you, Carlisle Cullen, we will give no quarter.”

The gentle vampire closed his eyes for a moment, in took a slow breath, then nodded once before he spoke, his tone grave.  “And, Aro Volturi, we will take none.”

 

Bella swallowed, frozen once more, Aro turned to her and again he smiled, fangs just visible.  “Really… There’s nothing at all to be afraid of, Bella, I assure you…” his voice, deceptively soothing.

 

All pairs of blood red eyes of the Volturi fell upon her, apart from Renata’s who’s amber eyes had not left Aro.  He gave his loyal bodyguard a reassuring smile that all would be well, before his gaze returned and fixed on Bella. She felt all pairs of fiery eyes burn deep into her and wondered how on Earth... how in the entire Universe she would find the courage… and now Edward, her rock, her sturdy statue had taken up position, barely twenty feet from her; it may well have been twenty thousand miles.  No cold Michelangelo to hold her.  Butterflies in her stomach?  More like leeches, she grimaced.  Bella wished the Earth would swallow her…swallow…did she have to think of that word?... Esme shot Aro a look and he smiled pleasantly at her, before brandishing the instrument of battle.  The leader of the Volturi ran vermillion eyes along the silver shard, his long jet black hair flaring in a sudden, blast of wind.

 

Violent lightning forked, twisting through the dark cloud, now covering the entire sky, like a gnarled, cruel demonic claw.  Bella shuddered as the flash of raw power illuminated Aro’s crimson eyes.  Hades’ fire ignited against glacial ice. Could she do this?  The only human here, she took a very, very deep breath. She would…She had to… and hoped her rock would not need to have to save her.

 

            “It’s time,” Aro said, turning his burning gaze from Bella, to her sheer relief, as he clasped his hands around the silver hilt of the shard.

 

Alice and the Cullens glared at him and he smiled pleasantly back, Carlisle, the only one who regarded his opponent without malice, however the blonde vampire tensed, his stomach rock hard as Aro swung his weapon; the deafening crash of soul-shuddering thunder put to shame by Aro’s crushing blow, then the Lord of the Volturi let the weapon drop and bolted.

 

            “Shit…” Carlisle muttered, “that’s a home run…”

 

 

 *

 

 

 

Back to Twilight Page