Disclaimers: Universal/Renaissance own the Xenaverse, created by Rob Tapert.

Summary: Xena has captured Hades.

Author’s note: Story set during Eve saga.

Rating PG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WHEN TARTARUS FREEZES OVER

 

"Keep movin’, Hades." Xena kept the dagger pressed into the God’s back.

Reluctantly Hades walked on, through the bushes.

"Any sign of disappearing and-"

"I know, Xena, you don’t have to rub it in," Hades scowled. He paused before he spoke again, but not without a trace of uncertainty. "So, what do you plan to do with me?"

"Wouldn’t you like to know." Xena didn’t know herself, actually.

"Well why don’t you just release me and I’ll forget all about this?"

"When Tartarus freezes over, Hades."

"Well then, I’m free to go."

"What?"

"It’s already happened. Tartarus freezing over."

Xena raised an eyebrow. "It has?"

"I got bored. Needed a change. Froze it over, but it didn’t quite work out. A frozen Tartarus didn’t quite have the same ring to it."

"What, the people down there weren’t suffering enough for you?"

Hades looked hurt. "You don’t think they should suffer, Xena? Murderers, rapists, paedophiles? Callisto?"

"Callisto’s changed and you know it."

"Has she? You really think so?"

"You don’t?"

"No. I don't. Picture this, Xena. To get even with you, she pretends to be a fluffy bunny angel and she impregnates you, knowing what would happen with you getting frozen - knowing she would live again through Eve, killing and pillaging, also knowing she had the power to kill the Gods."

Xena was silent as she mulled it over.

"I’m not the only one who believes Callisto hasn’t changed a bit. I know you don’t want to believe it, but think about it." He paused for a moment. "So am I free to go or what seeing Tartarus did freeze over ... a couple thousand years ago, but hell."

Xena poked him with the dagger.

"Ow!" Hades scowled. "Didn’t think so."

They walked on. Hades tried to look for an opportunity to escape, but couldn’t find one and didn’t want to risk it.

"For your sake, Hades I hope you’re not thinking of doing a runner."

"I like my insides the way they are thank you very much."

"Good."

"You know I’m surprised you didn’t try to find a peaceful solution to this mess," Hades said.

"It’s a bit hard when you have fireballs hurled at your face and who are you to talk? Did you try and find a peaceful solution to this mess as you call it?"

"Yes, if you want to know, I did. I asked the angels for help and the next thing I know, a fireball shot down from the heavens and landed me flat on my arse if you must know. So much for peace."

Xena looked confused. "That doesn’t sound like Michael. He would have at least listened to you."

"Well he didn’t and I have a scar to prove it."

"Just as long as you don't show me."

Hades half smiled as he walked on.

"Hades," Xena said, "turn around for a moment."

He thought he had better obey her and so he did and the next thing he knew, her fist collided with his face, knocking him unconscious. She watched as he collapsed and waited a few moments.

"Michael," she said, looking up to the sky.

Momentarily a shimmering form appeared, taking the form of Archangel Michael.

"You have questions for me, Xena?" he asked.

"Yes. Is Hades’ theory on Callisto correct?"

"That I cannot answer. You will have to find that out for yourself."

Xena nodded. "Thank you."

"And your next question is ‘Did Hades try and find a peaceful solution?" Well if he did, he didn’t ask me."

Michael bent down and lightly touched Hades’ forehead.

"He lied about the scar, it cleared up years ago."

Xena smiled for a moment. "So that means he did try?"

"From what I can gather." Michael closed his eyes for a moment.

"It was Lucifer," he said. "He blasted Hades, which is why I knew nothing of this until now."

"Lucifer, your brother?"

Michael nodded. "He hates all the Gods and Goddesses and is jealous of their power and hold on this world. Peace is the last thing on his mind."

"And so when he blasted Hades, Hades thought you weren’t interested in a peaceful solution?"

"Apparently so. Unfortunately."

Michael stood as Hades began to regain consciousness. He rubbed his head and began to stand.

"You could have just told me you wanted to talk to Michael."

"And given you the chance to escape?" Xena paused. "You were telling the truth about trying to contact them."

"Yes, and he," Hades pointed at Michael, "gave me a fireball for my efforts."

"I apologize, Hades, but I did not blast you. The guilty party is my brother, Lucifer."

"Figures," Hades snorted. "So, is it too late or can we still sort out his mess?"

"It is not too late, but your people will have to learn to share the planet with us. The mortals will begin to believe in us as well as continuing to believe in your people. You must learn to share."

Hades nodded. "That’s going to be hard for some. Some of my kind have never been kind to mortals."

"But there are many of your kind that are, like your sister, Celesta for example."

Hades nodded again. "It was Celesta and Persephone I was fighting to protect. Xena fought for her family as I fought for mine. I may have made mistakes, but I don’t regret fighting for my family."

"I understand, Hades," Michael said. "A lot has happened between your people and ours and Xena and you must learn to put it all behind you."

"It won’t be easy for any of us," Hades said, "but it has to be done."

Xena nodded. "No, it won’t," she said. "But Hades is right. We must do this." The Warrior Princess paused for a moment. "Hades, I’m sorry I had you figured wrong, I thought you were just like the other Gods."

"You always think you know everything, Xena and did our friendship, mean nothing?"

"Hey, you fireballed me, remember? In the Underworld?"

"It was a stun ball."

"Well I didn’t know that."

"And there’s the time I helped save your village when Ares switched your body with Callisto."

"You took some convincing."

"Can you blame me? Anyhow, I think we’re just about even."

Xena nodded. "Kudos to that."

Michael smiled. "It is good that you are no longer enemies. Hades, I need you to speak to your people. You may resurrect Zeus and bring back Hera and the others."

Hades nodded. "Thank you."

"But know this, if any of your kind attack Xena, Gabrielle or Eve, I cannot help you and I can promise you - you will not win."

Hades nodded. "I understand ... And the Twilight?"

"The Twilight has already happened, Hades. It was the change this world needed. The mortals need more to believe in to survive. We’re here to help them, not to take anything away from your people."

Hades nodded. "I understand now and I’m sorry."

Michael smiled warmly. "You’re forgiven as are your kind. Do not hesitate to contact me if you need any help."

"Thank you. And Lucifer?"

"He’s just going to have to get used to it."

Hades smiled. "I really owe him one."

Michael chuckled. "Don’t worry, he’s in for more than just a fireball in the backside. Good luck, Hades."

"And to you as well."

The God watched Michael vanish.

Hades took Xena’s hand.

"Let me be the first to say I’m sorry, Xena, not for protecting my family, but trying to harm yours."

"As I am, Hades. I never wanted the Gods to die, but I had to protect my child." She paused or a moment. "Did you really freeze Tartarus over?"

Hades smiled and nodded. "For a couple of years. Wanna see? I can do it again."

"No thanks, Gabrielle’s going to be wondering where in Hades I am and I have to deliver the good news."

Hades nodded. "As I have to. I don’t know how everyone’s going to take it, but it’s this or bust I’m afraid."

Xena nodded. "So, Hades, are you afraid? It’s a big change, the Twilight and all."

Hades gave a warm smile. "Beyond every twilight lies a new dawn."

 

*

 

Back to Hades Page