Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

Sun Stuff Wirtten by John Rice

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

Summary: Soundwave meets an extraordinary Autobot

Rating - PG

~~~~~~~~

BEYOND THE MAGIC OF AVALON

 

Severely wounded after one battle, Soundwave lay in a ditch, unable to radio or even call for help, as his voice mechanisms and communication systems had been badly damaged. He cursed himself for being so careless as to have been struck in the chest by a stray missile then became very worried. Rumble was inside him at the time of impact. He tried to eject him, but found he could not even move. He sincerely hoped the little one was all right. He became grateful the other Cassettes had not been within him at the time. He could scarcely keep his optics functioning and it increasingly became painful to even think. Soundwave realised he was too damaged for his automatic repair systems to take effect. His ruby red visor flickered, then went dark and he lost visual.

He heard Transformers leaving the battle site and hoped if he was found, it would be by a Decepticon, preferably Megatron, or his cassettes. He was too weak to use his telepathic powers. Not long after, Soundwave felt a strong hand pulling him up. The newcomer picked him up and carried him. Soundwave could do nothing except hope they meant him no harm. Somehow he knew this stranger wasn't Megatron ... and he hoped when he awoke he wouldn't find himself an Autobot prisoner.

Soundwave felt a strange tingly sensation grip his body, though he felt no further pain.

The mysterious person lay Soundwave down on a repair bed in the med bay. Soundwave had now fallen unconscious.

After finishing repairs on Soundwave, the stranger slowly began to energize him.

            * * *

Soundwave came to not long afterwards. His eye band visor flickered and he was grateful his eyesight had returned and he realized he felt no pain and that he could move. Soundwave sat up and took in his alien surroundings. It was clear he was on an advanced starship.

"Good, you're awake," came a distinct female voice.

Soundwave turned around and saw her back to him.

"You rescued me," he stated.

"Yes," and the largish femme turned around. There was no mistaking the distinct red Autobot symbol on her chest.

Soundwave was taken by surprise. "I fail to understand why you-"

She smiled. "I like you, Soundwave."

He became even more confused. "You are an-"

"Autobot? Yes, but don't hold that against me," and she smiled again. "You're not like most Decepticons I've encountered, Soundwave. A lot of Decepticons are much more belligerent. I cannot stand those - Decepticons or anyone who murder unnecessarily - simply because they like it, but there are been some Decepticons I've observed who are not heartless killers."

"Most Autobots seem to think we are."

"Ahh, yes, but you'll find I'm not like most Autobots."

She gave Soundwave a cylinder of energon which he accepted. Something told him she wasn't the type to slip poison into one's drink. When he had finished it, he sat the cylinder on the bench and remained sitting on the repair bed.

"You need to rest," she said. "You were hurt pretty badly. I've repaired the damage, but your systems need time to heal fully."

"Thank you," Soundwave said, feeling awkward. He'd never thanked an Autobot for anything before and it had never so much as crossed his mind that he ever would. "Rumble!" he said suddenly opening his chest. It was empty.

"He's healing," she said, "but slowly. Due to his small size he sustained substantially more damage than you."

"I must see him."

She nodded and took him to a side wall of the ship, which she controlled to open. Soundwave saw Rumble in cassette mode, with a hole through his body and a yellow light surrounding him.

"The glowing energy field is repairing the damage

"Is he-"

"No, she replied. "He's not in any pain. He's unconscious. He will be bale to transform when his systems become unstuck and adjust."

Soundwave calmed. It was as if she could sense what he was feeling.

"I must thank you again."

"That's twice now," she said. "Must be my lucky day."

"You still have not told me exactly why you rescued myself ... and now Rumble."

"Curious?" she smiled.

In the short time that he'd met her he'd come to appreciate her knowing smile.

"Rumble ..." she said, "he's a child and you - you're special, Soundwave and no that's not flattery."

Soundwave became even more surprised. No Autobot had ever described him as Special before - in fact not many Decepticons had either.

She put her hands on his shoulders. "You have so much to give the Universe ..." and she smiled again. "You're probably still quite baffled that any Autobot would see you in this way..."

Soundwave nodded. It was still definitely a mystery to him as he followed the well built red and yellow femme.

Soundwave could sense somehow that she was not lying.

"How can you know these things?" he asked her.

she smiled at him. "Well let's just say I've been around for a long time - longer than Ironhide and I've got more stories to tell than Kup. I started fighting Decepticons - no offence- as in my youth I saw you all as 'the bad guys.' Through the loss of my family, friends both due to the war and other circumstances I came to realise that the only 'bad guys' are in ourselves. Our negativity and misconceptions of others, amongst other things ... There are zillions upon zillions of souls in the Universe wish so much to give, learn and teach, yet some waste their existence by harming and misjudging others who are different from them." she smiled again, although this time it was with sadness. "I'm sorry if I'm confusing ... boring you..."

"No," Soundwave said. "You're not."

A sudden bleep from Rumble's compartment sounded and both Transformers rushed there and their worry were replaced with relief.

"He's getting there," she said, as the hole in his middle had almost healed.

Soundwave thought she didn't see him placed his hand on his head.

"You need to rest, for a few hours" she said to him, leading him to a spare quarters and left him there to retire for now.

Soundwave emerged from his slumber approximately five hours later.

"Rumble's improving," she said.

"That is good news."

She had the feeling Soundwave was still curious to find why she thought so highly of him. She gestured for him to sit with her.

"It's your qualities I admire, Soundwave," she said. "You are understanding, loyal and caring for your people, but there's more - you open up whole new dimensions of understanding and thought with your telepathic powers, your mind links with the Cassettes, you can tell how others are feeling ... but you can do so much more with these powers."

"I hope you are not suggesting that I leave the Decepticons."

"Not at all, but when the war is over, you can give so much more to the Universe with your unique gifts."

"You seem to be well in tune with the future. You know the war will end?"

"Yes, but not how or when, but I do know that both sides will benefit from it. I get these glimpses, feelings of events that will transpire."

Soundwave believed her. Even without a mind scan he could tell she spoke the truth. She seemed to look a lot younger than she was, but also a hell of a lot wiser than anyone Soundwave had ever known.

"You must develop your talents, Soundwave," she urged gently. "The Universe needs people like you to help the others who aren't as mentally or spiritually tuned."

Soundwave became even more respectful of her, despite her allegiance. She smiled at him and he could tell she really felt for him, though it was not sexual. She truly believed in him. It was rare to find someone who possessed so much insight.

"The name of my ship is Avalon," she told him. "Do you know of Avalon?"

"In human literature it is known as the Faerie Realm."

"Not just in human literature."

"It is contained in other worlds literature as well?"

"Not only that ... It's a real place. I've been there."

At first Soundwave found this hard to believe, but he looked into her sincere blue eyes and determined that she was not lying.

"Perhaps you can visit Avalon someday, and sample its mystical, magical beauties and beyond, Soundwave, when you learn more about yourself, your unique gifts and the Universe. She has many hidden treasures."

"I know," Soundwave said. The Universe did indeed reveal secrets to those who listened.

Rumble, now fully repaired, emerged, in Robot mode from the compartment he was in. Confused at his surroundings, he looked around. The last thing he remembered was ... Soundwave! Rumble gasped - he must've been hurt bad! Confused and frightened, but determined to find out what the hell was going on, Rumble cautiously ventured out of the compartment in the wall repair unit.

Soundwave sat with her telling her of his relationship with Megatron and his Cassettes and she smiled.

"It's good to care for others," she said. "At first when I was consumed with bitterness at the loss of my friends and family, I lost more of myself before I began to forgive and share my wisdom with others. there was a pause. "The name I was created with is Kiera, and she smiled, "some call me the Angel of the Stars."

"You are the most unique Autobot I have ever met."

"Thank you," she smiled. "I get that often."

Soundwave smiled and then saw Rumble peering at him from behind a white pillar. The small Decepticon seemed nervous.

"Rumble," Soundwave said, happy to see his little friend.

Cautiously Rumble emerged, looking uneasily at the Autobot. It wasn't like Soundwave to engage in conversation with an Autobot in this manner. At first Rumble was confused. He knew Soundwave would never betray the Decepticons, even if his own life was at stake, so then why was he talking to an Autobot so friendly like? Would Megatron be mad? Rumble became afraid. What if he hadn't meant to find Soundwave with her?

And then he felt Soundwave lift him up. "I apologise."

"...mmm ... what for...?" Rumble was still uneasy.

"For being so careless. We both could have been killed. I am relieved you are functional."

Rumble then felt stupid and embarrassed to ever think that Soundwave would harm him. He sat on the larger Decepticon's lap lying against him, feeling safe. Rumble then looked at the Autobot femme.

"I don't bite," she said with a smile.

"Kiera is not like other Autobots," Soundwave said to Rumble, but said nothing more, thinking that the deep philosophy would confuse the young one.

Kiera smiled again. "I'd better let you two go. Megatron's probably wondering where in the Universe you are."

Soundwave nodded. "Rumble," he said.

The small robot obediently transformed into cassette mode and Soundwave inserted him into his chest, then soundproofed it. He did not wish to isolate Rumble, but what he had to say to Kiera was private.

"Thank you," he said, sincere, "for sharing your unique gifts and insights with me."

She smiled again. Soundwave would miss that when he left. "It was my pleasure. It feels good to help, even when the other doesn't know he needs it."

"Affirmative. I shall endeavour to harness my gifts."

"Good," Kiera said softly. "They're more powerful than you realise, Soundwave. I shall miss you."

"And I you, Angel of the Stars."

She smiled, then gently kissed him on the cheek and handed him a silver package. "Open this when you're alone in your quarters. His puzzlement and confusion lasted only a second and then he nodded. He knew Kiera had given him something special and whatever it was, he'd treasure it, as much as he treasured her unique insights.

Kiera teleported Soundwave and Rumble to Earth. She thought better than to give the Transformers the secrets of matter transportation. It would cause more grief than good with everyone transporting inside the other's bases. Although such technology would give the Decepticons an advantage, Soundwave respected Kiera's decision.

Soundwave decided that in time he'd tell Megatron about her, however now wasn't the time. He knew Megatron would not think that he had in any way betrayed the Decepticons, but as tense as things were with the Autobots, Soundwave felt he'd leave it until at least some of the ice had melted. He asked Rumble not to say anything, and the cassette promised he wouldn't. Soundwave told Megatron that he was found and repaired by the Autobots, which wasn't a lie, hopefully that would at least alleviate some of the tension between the two factions. Megatron was indeed surprised, even grateful. However he knew Soundwave had something else to tell him and would when he felt the time was right.

Rumble and Soundwave retreated to their quarters. Soundwave looked at the pleasant purple and green coloring of his walls and smiled. It was indeed a pleasant room to which to return - not that Kiera's ship wasn't pleasant ...

Soundwave lay on his stomach on his resting ledge and thought deeply about what she had said and what more he could give the Universe. He opened the silver package she had given him and took out a beautifully framed, slightly metallic space scene, the black frame inset with star constellations. In the centre, in glowing ink, as if it were written with starlight, was a lovely, extremely apt poem written by a talented and insightful human called John Rice.

Soundwave would never forget the Angel of the Stars, or the poignant poem she had given him, as long as he functioned. He read the beautiful piece again.

  

Sun Stuff

Sun stuff, star fluff

There is laughter in space

Moon light, laser bright

Rockets zoom anyplace

Meteor sigh, comet cry

Space night dark and cold

Planet breeze, solar freeze

Our Universe grows old

 

*

 

 Back to Decepticon Page

 

Back to Transformers Page