Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro, comic (in this fic) written by Simon Furman.

I make absolutely *no* monetary profit from my fanfic

Summary: Carnivac's story

Rating - PG

Author's notes: A story based on the British Transformers comic, (published by Marvel UK,) written by Simon Furman, adapted to prose by Seawave.  

Prologue - Time Wars (outline), 199 - 205; Part I, 219 - 222; Part II, 229; Part III, 237 - 239; Part IV, 272 - 274. All UK.

I actually gave a copy of it to Simon Furman at BotCon '97 and he was honoured! This is one of my favourite UK Transformers comic stories of all time, besides the Christmas Starscream one!  And I wanted to honour Simon.  Kudos!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

SURVIVORS

 

PROLOGUE

 

The war had gotten far, far out of hand. The past, the future and the present collided in this catastrophic battle. The casualties on both sides were uncountable. Hundreds were dead and thousands more were to follow. The only way to stop the senseless madness seemed to join forces, but few would listen. There was far too much mistrust between the two factions. That was to be expected. The war had begun over nine million years ago.

Fortunately, few did listen and set aside their differences - at least for now. They were the Decepticon Mayhem Attack Squad and the Autobot Wreckers.

Springer, the leader of the Wreckers turned to Broadside. "In order to defeat Galvatron and his cronies, we formed a crisis alliance with..."

"The Decepticon Mayhem Attack Squad..." added Carnivac atop the Decepticon Space Cruiser ramp.

"Have you flipped?!" exclaimed Broadside, turning to Springer. "We're in the fight for our lives and we have to watch our backs as well. We can't trust these guys!"

"The funny thing is, Catilla," whispered Carnivac to his friend, "he's absolutely right. Once the mutual danger is removed ... Our orders are to kill any Autobots left standing..."

Catilla grinned.

The two teams ventured far below the ground to the Decepticon stronghold. Their mission: to destroy Galvatron, or send him back to his own time and destroy the time-dimensional portal so he could never return.

It had been easy going so far. No guards, nothing. They were beginning to suspect that it was ...

"A trap!!" exclaimed Springer, seeing Galvatron above him.

Galvatron smiled, an evil smile.

"Of course it is... You walk blithely into the lions den..."

Springer caught a glimpse of a silhouette behind Galvatron.

"Who - who's that with you? ..."

The two Decepticons flew down. Both the Autobot Wreckers and the Decepticon Mayhem Attack squad stared in sheer disbelief. The one who stood before them was missing, presumed dead.

"MEGATRON!!"

The twins of evil. Galvatron and Megatron. Even alone, Galvatron was formidable, but with Megatron by his side, the Wreckers and the Mayhems wondered if they'd have a snowball's chance in hell.

They had two choices - one give up and die, two fight and die.

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die fighting!" yelled Carnivac.

The battle began. The Wreckers and the Mayhems were already losing. Megatron was more powerful than both the teams had anticipated. Not as powerful as Galvatron, but powerful enough. He posed an enormous threat to both the teams. Carnivac had been blasted in the arm. He held his wound.

"Springer," he said, "how is this happening? We are fourteen and they are but two!"

"It's happening, Carnivac, because of your pig headed stupidity! .... We had a plan, remember? Okay, I admit I didn't anticipate Megatron being here, but - "

"But Nothing! Your plan was weak. The mess here is further proof of your inability to command -"

"Ahem!"

Both Carnivac and Springer spun around, to face Scourge, Ravage and Fracas. More Decepticons. As if Megatron and Galvatron weren't enough. Fracas transformed himself into Scourge's weapon. Scourge aimed him at Springer.

"Scourge, wait ... you don't understand. Whatever Galvatron has promised you, you won't live to enjoy it. As long as you and Cyclonus remain the disruption will get worse! Somehow you've opened a rift in time and space that's consuming everything."

Scourge hesitated, remembering the death of his friend Cyclonus at the hands of Megatron. He remembered the pain. He began to wonder ...

"What's it going to be, Scourge? Play along with us and maybe save your miserable hide, or go down with the rest of the universe?"

"I - I ..."

"C'mon! Time's running out. In fact ..." Springer leapt on top Scourge, knocking Fracas our of his grasp. Ravage leapt for Springer. Carnivac aimed and blasted him. The searing pain ripped through Ravage like a laser sword. He fell beside Scourge. All that was on Ravage's mind was pain and revenge.

Springer looked around.

"Nice shooting, Carnivac! I figured you'd go for my gun when I made the move -- Wreckers, retreat! We can't fight them in here!"

Carnivac spun around. "What?! ... You're running! "

Springer turned to him. "That's right, we're running. If you've any sense you'll order the Mayhems to do the same. We're sitting ducks in here."

"Cowards! " scoffed Carnivac. "A Decepticon warrior never runs from a fight! "

"Suit yourself." Springer turned and shot out with the other Wreckers.

Carnivac turned to the Mayhems. "Decepticons, prepare yourselves - to retreat - now!" Shamed... he thought. Shamed into retreating in front of an Autobot ... But no one will learn of this...I'll make sure of that...Because when we've accomplished our mission - my orders are to kill any Autobots left standing...

The battle raged on outside, each nanosecond contributing to the time distortion, which would ultimately engulf the universe. It had to be stopped.

"Regroup at the Decepticon ship" called Springer. "Rack 'N' Ruin will distribute new weapons. Broadside - with me. "

Carnivac stiffened and turned to Springer in disgust. "You're running again?"

Springer bit back his angry remark. "It may have escaped your notice, Carnivac, but we just got our butts severely kicked. Stay here if you want, but I'd rather face Megatron and Galvatron on my own terms and on familiar ground. You lot may be Decepticons, but we're fighting on the same side today."

Carnivac reluctantly turned toward the other Decepticons.

"Huh! ... Very well. Catilla, Flywheels - retreat!"

But when this is over, Springer, he thought, it'll be a pleasure to do my duty as a Decepticon and rub you out...

Later, in the heat of the battle, both Megatron and Galvatron had cornered Carnivac. There was no escape for him. They pounced on him. Galvatron threw Carnivac violently onto the hard ground. He slammed his particle cannon into Carnivac's head. Carnivac was too frightened to feel the pain. He knew one thing for sure. He was as good as dead. Galvatron began to pull back on the trigger. The seconds seemed like centuries. Carnivac wished he would get it over with. He shut his eyes, awaiting the end.

It never came. When Carnivac opened his eyes, a moment later, Galvatron was under a large boulder. Carnivac looked around and saw Springer.

"Wha- Springer - you saved me! Left yourself wide open! I-I don't understand! ...."

Megatron took advantage of Springer.

"What's to understand?" asked Springer, Megatron on top of him. "Enemies we may be ... but today we're allies."

My orders state I'm to kill any Autobots left standing, but where's the honor in that? Sure I'm a Decepticon, but first and foremost I'm a warrior! Springer saved my life ... and by heck I'll save his! ...

"Heads up, Megatron!"

Carnivac distracted Megatron, while Roadbuster, an Autobot fired at him. Galvatron pushed Megatron out of the way and was severely wounded by the blast.

Both the Wreckers and the Decepticon Mayhem Attack Squad were out of the battle.

"We couldn't stop Galva...tron, " said Carnivac.

Springer helped him up. "C'mon, Carnivac. We can't do anymore. We'll just get killed - for nothing ... Let's get outta here while we still can."

Springer, Carnivac and the others limped to the shuttle and retreated.

The time war reached an ultimate conclusion. The rift appeared, pulling everything inside to nothingness.

Optimus Prime, the Autobot leader, had escaped from limbo.

He fought Galvatron. Eventually, after a grueling battle, Galvatron was forced into the rift with Scourge and Cyclonus, thus returning the time flow continuum to normal.

 

~~~~~~~~

Chapter One

Part I

SURVIVORS

 

The hidden nuclear Power plant, California - 1989.

Once upon a time, the Autobot Skids believed nightmares stopped once you woke up. He's revised that Opinion.

"Hugh...Hugh... Did I lose them?"

Skids bolted through an electrified fence, the shock sending him to the dirt. "Urr..Got-got to rest ... can't go any further. Please ... please let me have lost them! ... Ohh .. who am I kidding? Even if I could lose them ... I dare not. It's them and me to the end! ... Anyway, how could I have hoped to lose them? Because - Matrix help me ... They're part of me!"

Skids began to stand as he saw the his nightmares, in the form gruesome black monsters approaching him, as real as ever. He stood and began to run. "I unleashed them on this planet, so It's down to me to destroy them ... any way I can! ... If I can just..." one of the monsters gnarly hands grabbed Skid's foot. "Uunh!...No!

"What's the hurry, Skids?" it said, it's voice sending cold shivers up the Autobot's spine. "We've got all eternity together! That's right! Just one big happy family! Don't fight it, Skids - join us... Body and soul..."

"SHEEAAGH!" Skids screamed as the monster tightened it's grip, cold black tentacles, wrapping around him.

"Now, now," it crowed, "be a big, brave Autobot. If you stop struggling it'll stop hurting. We are one, Skids," it said, flashing it's nasty looking, black pincher claws, "an inseparable unit. You gave us life, existence! We are kindred..."

"NO!" Skids screamed, as he broke free. "You're abominations - all of you! And yet ... you're right! My weakness granted you life... But my strength, my resolve...will destroy you!"

Skids ran, and bashed furiously his way through a wall in his path and continued running, unaware that he was running into an active nuclear reactor.

Meanwhile, a few miles South...

Springer and the other Wreckers had still not returned to Cybertron.

"I don't believe this!" Springer was absolutely fuming. "Weeks we've been on this miserable mudball - since our spacecraft went missing!" It had apparently been stolen by Megatron and Ravage. "...And I'm still getting the same story from our Autobot comrades on Cybertron!"

"And what story is that?" The voice came from behind, in the darkness.

Springer spun around and saw two wolflike creatures.

"Wha-? By the Matrix! " He readied his gun to fire.

"Hold your fire! " said one of the creatures as they both stepped out of the dark shadows. "It's us ...." said the first one. "Carnivac and Catilla. C'mon, Springer - what's up? It's only a short while ago we were fighting side by side!"

Springer had his weapon trained on them. "Huh! You sound like Carnivac, but you sure don't look like him!"

"Uh? Oh ... right ... Sorry. Forgot you hadn't seen our new Pretender modes."

Carnivac and Catilla transformed. Their creature modes split in half to reveal their robot modes. "There" said Carnivac. "That better?"

Springer eyed the two dubiously. "Hmm ... And where did you get these disguises, Decepticon?"

Carnivac hesitated. "Err ... Well ... Oh, what the heck! We did a little job for Scorponok, okay? These outer shells were our reward."

Springer was still dubious. Little jobs in Decepticon parlance usually spell bad news for one Autobot or another.

"Look," said Carnivac, "I know what you're thinking, but no one got hurt. Catilla just monitored Snarler and -"

"Snarler?" interrupted Springer "Who's Snarler?"

"I am!" came a harsh voice, and the one called Snarler came gallivanting to them. "And I don't like this one bit! I understand your thinking, Carnivac, but the idea of pooling resources with Autobots ... well, it curdles my fuel to even think about it!"

"Watch it, Mallet Mouth!" yelled Broadside, taking an offensive pose.

"Easy, Broadside," calmed Springer. His friend got a little impulsive at times.

Carnivac spoke up. "Look, Springer - we're getting no joy from our own people, so why not shelve the antagonism for a while and work together ... I mean we're sent on what's technically a suicide mission - most of my Mayhem Attack Squad and your Wreckers die, and then - when the danger's finally removed ... we survivors are all but abandoned!"

Springer thought for a moment. "Yeah. We've become an embarrassment to them. It's like they want to pretend the whole mess didn't happen!"

Inferno suddenly came roaring into the scene. "Springer!" he yelled, "there's a whole procession of human emergency vehicles on the road. Looks like something big! Do we get involved?"

Some action at last ... thought Springer. And it couldn't have been better timed! "Yes, Inferno - join the human vehicles and report back. Broadside and I will follow in aerial modes. Carnivac, you and your lot want in on this?"

"Er... No, reckon not. Got to have a bit of a chat with my comrades."

The Autobots left to join the action.

"It's a simple enough choice, Carnivac," Snarler said.

"Fraternising with our sworn enemies is a court martial offence. Destroy the Autobots when they return and I'll forget all about it - Defy me and I'll make it my business to see you're hunted down and destroyed!"

Carnivac felt torn between two worlds. How can I do what he asks when I owe my life to Springer many times over? Fighting side by side against Galvatron's forged bonds not easily set aside - and yet what alternative do I have?

"kids, don't do it!" shrieked Springer, as he saw him about to detonate the nuclear reactor.

"Uh? Springer! But how-?

"Forget how! What in Primus' name do you think you're playing at?"

And one potted explanation later...

"So you see, while I live - no one is safe!"

"No one's safe while you go around blowing up active nuclear reactors either!"

"My original intention was to lire the creatures in here and flood the chamber, killing us all. But I thought you--"

"Aww, Pop, I'm hurt..." came the voices of one of the grotesque monsters, "But just to show there's no hard feelings ... we'll kill your friends for you!"

"NO!"

Springer and Skids began to back off as the monsters surrounded them.

"You dreamt these?" Springer said. "Man, you have got to see a shrink!"

If you think this scene from within the Hudden Nuclear Power Plant looks like the product of someone's nightmare... Well, you'd be absolutely spot on!

"Well, Skids," Springer said, as he whacked birdlike monster, "all I can say is..stop topping up on high grade oil just before bedtime!"

"Unh!" Skids gasped, as a praying mantis leaps onto him. "It's no laughing matter, Springer! These creatures are part of me! I dreamt them - gave them life! They're very real...and...aahh - very deadly!"

The nightmare belonged to Skids ... The trouble is, he's wide awake! As are his Autobot comrades, Springer, Inferno and Broadside.

A monster sank it's teeth into Springer's shoulder. "GHAA! You're not kidding! Blast it, Skids - you don't have to kill yourself to stop these things...Even if you did dream them. Just fight back!"

Inferno and Broadside were also getting it rough.

"Springer's right! If they can hurt, they can be hurt!"

"There's more at stake here than just our lives! If these things kill us...All of Earth will suffer! We have to use lethal force!"

Easy for you to say, Broadside, thought Skids, ...But if we kill them, surely I'll die as well. I'm as much a part of them as they are of me! Skids kicked the mantis off him, and rolled away. All my life I've been a survivor ... cheating the reaper by luck or by chance. And now when I have to die, I find I cannot let it happen!

"I know what you're thinking 'pop'," the mantis crowed, "And the answer is simple. - join us! We can rule this dungheap of a planet side by side! ...Think back...Remember the dreams that spawned us ...while you slept in limbo. It's inhabitants fashioned a reality from your dreams - Us! Together we attacked, conquered - destroyed all who might challenge us. Together we could make that dream - A reality!"

Skids spun around to see Springer tackled by a segmented snake body monster.

Broadside kicked his attacker away. "I'm through pussyfooting around with you! I've stared death in the face enough times for life to seem very precious indeed! ... Hang the rest of the Autobots! If we've become an embarrassment to them, I won't just lay down and die!"

Broadside aimed his gun at the monster, and prepared to fire, with the creature looking rather terrified indeed. Inferno spun around.

"Wha-? No! Broadside...Don't!" And he pushed the gun upwards.

"Whaddya think you're playing at, Inferno?" he yelled.

"Saving us all, that's what! We're in the reactor room of a nuclear power plant. One shot in the wrong place..And we'll blow ourselves, this place and everything for miles around to kingdom come!"

Broadside lowered his weapon, cursing himself for not thinking of that before. Not only were Autobot lives at stake, but many humans as well. At that moment, the two Autobots were ferociously attacked by more nightmarish monsters.

"Fine," Broadside said, to Inferno, "but would you mind telling me how we're going to get out of this alive...Ghhn! ... When We can't shoot these creatures?"

"C'mon, Skids," the mantis urged, "join us!"

"I...I...No! Whatever the cost to me... you have to be stopped - permanently if necessary!

Unaah! Springer yelped as the monster tore off half of one shoulder. ...This is getting badly out of hand! Have to finish this quickly and find a way to save Skids! Much as I hate to do this, the fact remains - we need reinforcements! He grabbed his communicator. "This is Springer ..."

Moments earlier, some miles South...

"No." Snarler stood firm. "Whatever your reasons, Carnivac, the fact remains you allied yourself with these Autobots! A treasonous act for any Decepticon!"

"But - but, Snarler ..."

"But nothing! First you disobey direct orders to kill and Autobots left standing after the Galvatron battle, then you team up with Springer and his remaining Wreckers. You have my ultimatum. Decide."

Some choice! thought Carnivac. Kill Springer and the others when they return, or find myself branded as a traitor and hunted by my own kind! ... Perhaps I can stall Snarler...

"Erm ... sorry to interrupt," said Catilla, "but we've got a distress call ... from Springer!"

Oh wonderful ... thought Carnivac. What foul timing! He grabbed his communicator. "Yeah, Springer? What is it?"

"Listen, Carnivac - things have degenerated from bad to worse here. We need your help! It's a matter of life and death!"

"I - I ... I don't think I can help you. I'm ... sorry ..."

Snarler was impressed. "Excellent! leaving the Autobots to their fate will suffice. Transform and reenter your pretender shells. Scorponok awaits."

He makes it all sound so straightforward... Carnivac thought. Leave, abandon those with whom I've forged a warrior's bond. Perhaps It'd be easier if I really wanted to rejoin the Decepticons. But like Springer, I feel my fellows used and discarded my elite squad. With Springer and the others I almost felt ... I belonged. Amidst their trust, I found the true warrior heart! "Sorry, Snarler, I'm not coming with you. I can't abandon the Autobots."

"What? You can't mean it! You'll be hunted down, destroyed!"

Snarler looked toward Catilla, who sided with Carnivac.

"Aww no ... not you too, Catilla!"

"You know me, Snarler. I always did like a life on the edge. This could be fun!"

Carnivac wished Snarler would understand, but there was no sense in wishing for the impossible. The two walked off into the distance. Snarler glared after them. You have both defiled the Decepticon name. When the execution squad is picked - I'll be the first to volunteer ...

Meanwhile...

"Hang on, Broadside- I'm here!"

"Watch your back, Springer!" Inferno yelled, "Go on, you protoplasmic punk..." he yelled, as he flung one monster into another. "...Go join your bird-brained buddy!"

Broadside had recovered. "We've got to start fighting back like we mean it, Springer, or we'll all end up reduced to iron filings!"

"But what about Skids? ... What he's right? What is if killing one or more of these creatures kills him?" Springer slammed his fist into his hand. "Blast it! we need Carnivac and Catilla!"

Two figures crashed through the barrier. "You called?"

Carnivac and Catilla began swatting the monsters. Carnivac in wolf mode went straight for the throat of the bird creature.

"Now, what have we here?" it said, "A mix of mechanoid and techno-organic creatures..."

"Pwuh!" Carnivac spat. "Don't taste very nice!" And he took the bird in his jaw and hurled it away.

"Let's not stand around gawking, Autobots," Springer shouted. "- Let's take 'em!"

"Al-right!"

He and Broadside leapt into action. Skids was in trouble - Big trouble. One of his nightmare monsters was killing him.

"Go one then" Skids spat. "...Do what I couldn't. Kill me! At least that'll end it for you as well!"

"Ah, well ... I've got a confession to make, Pop. Actually one or other of us dying won't make the slightest bit of difference! We can live without you and vice versa. Pity. I still think we'd made a great team!"

That one's got Skids at his mercy ... Springer thought. Do I kill it and risk killing Skids as well? I just don't know!

"Oh for goodness sake - stop dithering, Autobot! In a battle like this ... there's no room for half measures!"

Carnivac went for the belly of the giant creature and slashed it with his powerful claws.

"SHEEAGH!" And then it was dead.

"Skids!" yelled Springer, "are you --"

"Alive ... and angry! I've been played for a fool and I don't like it one bit!"

"Then let's do something about it!" Carnivac said.

Carnivac, Catilla and the others began killing the creatures. What followed wasn't pretty, but both Autobot and Decepticon knew that it's a job that needs doing cleanly and quickly however distasteful it may be, but from the carnage comes a Greater Good - Autobot and Decepticon side by side - A force united by circumstance. Bonded by purpose.

Later ...

"Well, Catilla and I had better be off. The Decepticons won't stop until we're dead and I see no reason why anyone else should be involved. See ya. It's been ...fun."

"Wait!" called Springer. "We stick together on this. After all, you're only in trouble because you helped us. Look - we're all outcasts - warriors without a home or an army. Join us. You can be ... Honorary Autobots."

"Hey, thanks!" smiled Catilla. "Never did really like being a Decepticon!"

Carnivac hesitated for a moment. He owed his life to Springer and felt he was part of the team. He was a survivor, but he turned to Springer. "I cannot take it. I'll join your group, but it must be on my own terms, as a Decepticon. It's going to be tough going, y'know."

Springer smiled. "Hah! After all we've been through, it'll be a cinch. And besides ... We're SURVIVORS -- "

 

~~~~~

Chapter Two

Part II

 

HUNTING PARTY

 

There are regions of Cybertron where even Decepticons fear to tread. Regions of their homeworld where they don't hold the balance of power - where their enemies, the Autobots wear the oppressor's boot...

Oh god...this place!... Needlenose thought, What am I doing here?

Regions like Slaughter City.

Oh man, I should be out cruisin' the airways, lookin' bad... Not hunting' Autobots in this hellhole!

Needlenose shuddered when as saw Decepticon bodies lying among the waste. How'd I ever get picked for this detail? I mean I don't even belong here! Stranglehold, Bludgeon, and Octopunch - they're in their element. Animals - all three 'a them. Needlenose looked over to the leader of the Mayhem Squad.

As for Spinister...well even if he was scared, you'd never be able to tell! Aww geez! Way he's lookin' at me! Like he's seein' right through me... knows what I'm thinkin.' Needlenose began to walk away. Someone get me outta here...

"Sloppy, Decepticon..." came a voice, "and here, sloppy means dead!"

"Uh? Kup!" Needlenose exclaimed.

A blast from the other side took the Autobot Kup, down.

"Blast it, Needlenose!" Spinister cursed. "Stop daydreaming! That Autobot had you cold!"

Needlenose saw Optimus Prime, the Autobot leader, coming for Spinister, behind him.

"Sp-Spinister...L-look..."

Spinister spun around, just in time to see Bludgeon sever Optimus Prime's head with his sword.

"Wha-?"

"better watch your own back, team leader," Bludgeon said, with a touch of sarcasm, "...'stead of nursemaiding that cretin, Needlenose! Hey, Octopunch, Stranglehold, I just bagged Optimus Prime!"

"Big deal!" Stranglehold said, " While you were gassing, Octopunch and I totaled six high-ranking Autobots, and a few non-entities, like Ratchet here..."

"Yeah, right," Octopunch growled, "My Grimlock and ... unh - Fortress Maximus beat your Prime!"

No ... No! This isn't right! .... Needlenose thought. The Autobots are supposed to be the good guys, and yet they're attacking mindlessly and cold-bloodedly! It's only a matter of time before we're outnumbered and slaughtered! I'm outta here! Needlenose ran from the battle scene.

Spinister watched him flee. Blast! I feared this might happen! He's folded! Spinister blasted Prowl, An Autobot, then took after Needlenose. Now what? The worst thing a Decepticon can do is show cowardice. It damaged morale and reflects poorly on our army as a whole. It's my duty to make an example of Needlenose - kill him! And yet I know Needlenose has the makings of a good warrior - I just feel it! He needs a chance! ... Hmm, and perhaps this is it...

Spinister saw the Autobot Dinobot, Slag charging after him, and he fired.

"Missed!" he yelled, "I'm dead, unless...NEEDLENOSE - HELP!"

"Wha-? Spinister! He-he must have seen me run, followed, and now Slag's got him!" Got to help him... But I can't! Matrix, forgive me...I just can't! ... But I've got to! He's a comrade. A friend! Yeah...and one that's probably now lookin' to kill me!

Slag, in triceratops mode was on top of Spinister. Come on, Needlenose, come on! You cut this any finer and I'll have to save myself...

Needlenose grabbed a large piece of scrap pole, raised it above his head and slammed in into Slag with all his might, saving Spinister.

"Spinister, I..."

"Save it! I think the solid light simulated combat session is over--"

And the Simulation of Cybertron was replaced my the Mayhem's headquarters. Needlenose now knew it had been a test, and felt taken for a fool, but knew had he failed, it may have cost him his life.

"Ah, Spinister..." Snarler said, coming to the scene. "Sorry to interrupt the training session, bur High Command have okayed the Hunting Party and it's mission... We leave for Earth immediately. Are the new Mayhem Attack Squad all fit and ready for combat?"

"Well, Snarler, I..." Spinister began, regarding their barbaric behavior, but then thought better of it. "Yes - All of them! Our two renegade Decepticons, Carnivac and Catilla, Springer and his band of Autobots ... They're as good as dead!"

 

~~~~~~~

Chapter Three

Part III

WAY OF THE WARRIOR

Dallas, Texas --

They were mortal enemies, age old foes, locked in an age old struggle. Then the incredible happened - Decepticon - Carnivac and Autobot Springer united as comrades in arms.

Perhaps it was never meant to be.

"For the last time, Springer," Carnivac yelled, thrusting him to the ground, " I am not an Autobot! ... I'm a Decepticon warrior! Saving humans might be your idea of fun, but it isn't mine ... Crashed trains, hijacks, burning oil rigs ... Is this what it's come to? When I agreed to join your little group of Survivors, I thought we might get a fight or three in. Maybe I should have stayed with the Decepticons."

Carnivac angrily turned on his heel to leave.

Springer stood up. "Urn ... Carnivac - wait! You leave now and --"

"Whoa there, Springer ..."

"Catilla?"

"Look, having been a Decepticon myself until recently, I have some idea what he's going through. Give him time and space and he'll come around."

"Huh!" snorted Springer. "We're supposed to safeguard life, not go looking for trouble. No, Carnivac's made his bed - now he can lie in it! C'mon Skids, Broadside, Inferno - let's go."

Blast! thought Carnivac angry, why'd I blow my top like that? Springer means well, but he just doesn't understand. This do-gooding stuff doesn't come easy to me ... Though I don't consider myself evil, I'm still a Decepticon. The need to fight is in my blood ... Maybe I was wrong to defy the Decepticons. They won't rest until I'm dead! Yeah, and all this high profile rescuing of humans will probably lead them right to me! "Uh? That light! ... Who?..."

A car ran into Carnivac and skidded off the road. The driver got out, unhurt.

"Watch where you're going, human!" snapped Carnivac.

"Wha...? Another one? .. No, wait ... I've seen you on TV! You're one of that group of good robots. You've gotta help us.... save us! ..."

"Oh yeah? From what?"

"That --"

Carnivac spun around to see Snarler.

"It - it turned up outta nowhere," babbled the human, "just started tearin' into town! You've gotta --"

"Be going" concluded Carnivac. "I've had it with helping you lot! Sort your own problems out!" Carnivac hesitated. Except, where does that leave me with my own problems? If I turn away now, I'll just keep on turning away. Sometimes you have to make a stand! "And now is as good a time as any!" Carnivac turned to Snarler. "You know, you mindless mutt, I ought to thank you. You've reminded me that unless I grow, change - I'm no better than you -- A soulless killing machine!" Snarler whacked Carnivac away from him. "Maybe some of Springer's ideals rubbed off on me" Carnivac said, "after all, maybe I just needed a good fight - but it does prove --" Carnivac blasted Snarler, wounding him. "Saving humans can be fun!"

"Well, well. I thought our hellhound might smoke out some of the soft-headed Autobots you've taken up with ... but our main target himself!"

Carnivac spun around.

"No! Snarler .... and-?"

"The new Decepticon Mayhem Attack Squad" answered Snarler's Pretender shell. "Your executioners, Carnivac -- If you don't make a fuss I'll make it clean and quick!"

"Hah! I'm a warrior! I'll fight to the death if necessary!"

"Good!" smiled Bludgeon. "I hate it when they give in. If it's a warrior's death you want, I will be glad to oblige you!"

~~~~~~

Chapter Four

Part III

SURVIVAL RUN

 

This two hundred mile stretch of Mexican desert, south of Texas is not exactly a tourist attraction. For sixteen hours a day, a relentless sun bakes the stark, barren rock and sand. Creatures don't come here for pleasure ... They come here to die --

Carnivac knew he could not defeat the Decepticon Mayhem Attack squad alone and had fled into the desert.

"Hk-hk... T-too hot! k-k- Internal circuits fusing ..."

Carnivac began to slump. "Can't-can't go on...Huuunh... rest...need rest..." Carnivac stopped and lay down. "Ahhh feels good, Just lie here and -- nuh-no...can't. Got to-got to keep going to...get away from ..." Carnivac blinked. And suddenly it was two hours ago for Carnivac --

"Take him, Bludgeon!" Snarler yelled. "Show him what the Decepticons do to traitors!"

Bludgeon grinned. "Snarler, it'll be a pleasure!"

"Raagh!" Carnivac roared, leaping at him, ripping his shoulder with his sharp claws.

"Uhh ... Octopunch, Stranglehold - he's yours!"

Nff! thought Carnivac. Caught me. It's six against one .... They'll slaughter me!

"Autobot loving scum!" yelled Octopunch. "You're about to learn that when you hurt one of the new Mayhem Attack squad--"

"The others will make you pay!" completed Stranglehold. "I'll gut you and -- UNNHH!" Stranglehold regained his senses. "Who DARES?!" he screamed. "Humans!"

"Geez!" exclaimed one of them "We was only supposed to deal with one mechanical dog, not a whole troop of these metal freaks! Fire! Blow 'em away!"

The humans relentlessly fired on the Decepticons, but they weren't getting anywhere.

"Enjoy that order, human," said Spinister with sarcasm. "It's the last order you'll ever give!"

Carnivac fled, using the distraction to escape his hunters. hunters, but even now, some distance away, the screams and cries of the soldiers still ring in his ears ...

"Uh? Wha ... What's that?..." Carnivac blinked. "A...human settlement. Gotta keep moving ... Mayhems right behind me. Can't rely on my fellow Survivors arriving in time to save me!"

Some distance away ....

A the human who had been with Carnivac earlier, was talking to Springer and the Survivors.

"So this Carnivac fella says I should call you. He's in big trouble, y'know. An' since he helped us, figure the least I can do is try to help him!"

"It must be the Decepticons" growled Catilla. "I knew they'd never take Carnivac's and my defection lying down. C'mon, Springer - together we Survivors can --"

"No."

"No?! But-but ... Carnivac's a comrade, a fellow Survivor--"

"Was a comrade, Catilla. He forfeited any right to our protection when he upped and left. He's on his own."

"So that's how it is, eh? For all our noble posturing we're going to pick and choose who we help - Well not me! Carnivac's in trouble and that's all I need to know."

And Catilla left without another word.

Springer turned to the others. "Broadside, Inferno, Skids, you know I'm right ... don't you?"

Meanwhile ....

Carnivac leapt onto Needlenose while his back was turned and rammed him into the wall. "Careless... That's the trouble with splitting up - Makes you easy to pick off one by one!"

Carnivac produced his claws and pressed them against Needlenose's throat. "For you, Needlenose - The hunt is over!"

"I don't think so --"

Carnivac's head spun around. "Octopunch!"

"Move away from Needlenose and leave your outer shell or these humans are toast."

Carnivac looked at the helpless humans, hesitated, but then complied. What choice do I have? I've already abandoned one group of humans to save my own miserable skin! I can't sacrifice any more!

Octopunch stared at Carnivac in disgust. "If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it! A Decepticon surrendering because of humans! You're weak, Carnivac. You deserve to die!" Octopunch positioned his nasty three pronged fork above Carnivac's head.

 

~~~~~~~

Chapter Five

Part III

A SAVAGE PLACE

 

Los Gravos, Mexico -- A sun baked hell on Earth, a purgatory for man and machine alike. A deadly place; a savage place --

"By siding with our enemies, the Autobots you've disgraced the Decepticon name, Carnivac. Your death sentence was passed long ago --" Octopunch stood over the fallen Carnivac with his three pronged weapon. He brought it down. Carnivac closed his eyes, He knew this was it.

"NO-AAARGH!" screamed Octopunch as a truck rammed into his back and he went down.

Carnivac looked around. "Wha... uh?" Whatever. He was quite relieved. The driver bailed out before it hit and he staggered to the other humans.

"Jose - You fool!" yelled his wife. "What do you think you're doing? You could've been killed!"

"Much as I appreciated the save, human," said Carnivac, gratefully, "but the female is right. This isn't your fight."

"You are wrong. You were ready to sacrifice yourself for my family. Can I do less for you?"

"Look! - Look!" yelled another of the humans.

"Aww no!" cursed Carnivac. "The rest of the Mayhem Attack Squad! The explosion must've drawn them here!"

"You must go" said Jose. "It's four against one - they will surely kill you!"

Carnivac looked at him. "I-I ... No! I've had it with running! I left those soldiers to the tender mercies of the Decepticons - I won't do it with you! It's time I made a stand!"

Some miles away --

Springer and Broadside were in their aerial modes, searching for Carnivac.

"Any sign of him, Springer?"

"No, Broadside - our fellow Survivor seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth."

The two transformed into their robot modes and landed.

"We've got to find Carnivac before the Decepticons do!"

"I know! If he dies because I pig-headedly refused Catilla's plea for help, I don't know if I could live with myself. Catilla went alone to help Carnivac, while all I did was sulk about how he's walked out on us."

"Easy, Springer. No one's dead yet. C'mon, let's see if Inferno or Skids have turned up anything yet."

Meanwhile ...

Carnivac leapt out of the way as Snarler rammed into a brick wall. "It seems all my life I've been running away, refusing to face my problems face on. Maybe that's why I missed the point! As a Warrior, I thought the fight was everything. But there's more to it than that!" Carnivac blasted Stranglehold in the chest and booted Bludgeon in the head.

"A fine speech, my once friend ... I'll see they have it inscribed on your tomb --"

Carnivac looked up. "Spinister! ...." And he saw a crowd of humans running for cover. Those humans! Carnivac threw himself in front of them as Spinister fired at them from the sky. "Can't let them .... Aakkk...."

Carnivac fell to the ground as the humans ran to safety. Spinister transformed and landed. "Believe me when I say I take no pleasure in what I must do, Carnivac, but you set a dangerous example ..."

Snarler grunted. "Idealistic fools like you are a cancer that must be purged before they spread to healthy cells within the Decepticon unit!"

Carnivac looked at Snarler with disgust. Spinister walked to him and pointed his gun at his head. "Die, Carnivac, for the good of the Decepticons --"

"Spare me your homespun philosophy ... and do it! ..."

Spinister squeezed the trigger.

"NO!" Catilla yelled, as he leapt onto Spinister.

"Catilla!" exclaimed Carnivac, quite relieved.

"Sorry I left it so late, Carnivac," said Catilla, "but you weren't easy to find!"

Bludgeon had seen what had just transpired. The other renegade Decepticon.... he thought. DIE!!

Catilla turned to Carnivac. "Together we can --" SHEEEAGH!"

Bludgeon hurled his sword, striking Catilla fatally in his side.

"CATILLA!! NO!!!" Carnivac screamed and lunged at Bludgeon. "YOU ANIMAL!!"

"Their Autobot comrades!" exclaimed Spinister, as he saw Springer and Broadside approaching, airborne. He knew the Mayhems were in no condition to fight them all. "Let's go... Another time, Carnivac!" And they took off like a bat out of hell.

Carnivac knelt down to his fallen friend.

"Carnivac?" said Springer gently, " is Catilla ...?"

"As good as! Get away from him, Springer! Just get away, damn you! Don't you think you've done enough damage for one day?"

Springer wanted to say more, but thought better of it. He was sorry, but knew Carnivac would not listed, and they left the warrior with his fallen friend.

Carnivac gently touched Catilla's fur. He then glared up into the twilight red sky, with the red setting sun, and raised a fist. He cried a bitter tear, then his face showed only rage.

"As Primus as my witness, I swear I'll avenge you, Catilla! All the Mayhem Attack Squad ... All of them ... They're as good as dead!"

 

~~~~~~~

Chapter Six

Part IV

CRY WOLF

 

It had been seven months since Catilla's death.

"I needn't have worried ...." began Needlenose, one of the Mayhems, "but I needed to know .... for sure. You know ... that you were ready. That if the attack came - when that attack came - you'd react quickly! I guess this sets my mind at ease!"

The Mayhems were on top of Needlenose like a pack of hungry, angry wolves. "One reason, Needlenose! One reason why I shouldn't cut you into little pieces!"

Needlenose looked squarely at Bludgeon's sword, leveled at his head and swallowed. "Uh .... Be- Because ... I'm a fellow Decepticon!"

"Not good enough!" Bludgeon brought the sword down.

"NOOOOOOOO!!"

"Stop!"

Bludgeon whirled around, to see Spinister, his leader, training a weapon on him, with Snarler next to him.

"What's the meaning of this? Explain yourself, Bludgeon!"

"Ask him!" Bludgeon, grunted his sword against Needlenose's neck. "He calls us, hollering about Carnivac and his Autobot buddies attacking the island! So we drop what we're doing, come a running and what do we find? We find Needlenose - with this!" Bludgeon threw the device onto the ground in fury.

"A chronometer?"

"Yeah. Little creep was timing us - seeing how fast we can respond!"

"Let me gut him, Spinister...." hissed Octopunch, "pleasss!" As he grabbed the smaller Decepticon.

Spinister ignored him and turned to Needlenose. "Explain yourself, Needlenose! Why did you see fit to test warriors already judged worthy of a place in the Mayhem Squad?"

"It's just that -- I had to be sure! I know Carnivac! He and I shared the same combat training on Cybertron! He simply will not stop until we're all dead - Not after what we did to his buddy Catilla. We can't let our guard slip for a minute! He'll avenge Catilla, you know! He'll kill us! One by--uuhk!"

Spinister grabbed Needlenose's throat. "Shut up! Need I remind you that Catilla, like Carnivac was a traitor? A renegade Decepticon! He defected to the Autobots! He deserved to die! We know he'll come after us. That's the idea! Why do you think we picked this place? It's easily defendable! Okay, it's not easy waiting. But why waste energy worrying, when our target is sure to come to us?"

"And wait we will," said Snarler. "In a manner befitting Decepticon warriors. Come. Leave him. He has learnt his lesson!"

Spinister turned to Needlenose.

"I overlooked your cowardice during training, because I thought you had potential. I trusted you and this is how you repay me! Do it again, Needlenose ... and I'll kill you myself."

Spinister turned in disgust and left Needlenose, hanging his head in shame. He began to walk dejectedly to his quarters.

"It's easy for them to say 'wait'. They don't know Carnivac. He'll find a way through all these fancy defences. I know it!"

Needlenose entered his quarters.

"Why'd I ever sign up for this dumb mission in the --"

A bright light focused on him. "Uh? The light! Why-?

"The dark is better ... for what I am here to do ...."

"Carnivac!! NO!!!"

Needlenose frantically grabbed his communicator. "Help! Help! He's here! Carnivac's here! Help me!"

Carnivac smiled, a menacing smile. "Thanks for getting everyone out of the base -- Made it that much easier for me to get in!"

Bludgeon and Snarler heard Needlenose's terrified transmission. "Please! He's here! - In my quarters!"

"Can you believe this?! He doesn't even wait a while before trying it again!"

"Ignore him" said Snarler. "Perhaps he'll tire of this little game!"

Needlenose desperately tried to escape Carnivac.

"They - they broke contact..."

Needlenose reached the door, but it would not open. Carnivac cornered him. Needlenose was petrified. The wolf leapt on top of Needlenose and put his claws to his throat.

Needlenose swallowed. "Carnivac ... please .... no ...."

"You know what they say--"

Needlenose shut his eyes tight. The moment of terror had ended, first a moment of searing pain ripping through him, and then nothing. Carnivac grinned, seeing Needlenose's warm blood dripping from his cold, gleaming claws.

"Never cry wolf --"

 

~~~~~~~~

Chapter Seven

Part IV

WOLF IN THE FOLD

 

"Okay - he's gone" said Springer. "We all know where he's gone, the question is what do we do about it?"

Carnivac, in wolf mode stalked around the base. I leave Octopunch and Stranglehold. On guard duty they're well armed and ready for trouble. Later!

"We go after him, of course!" said Broadside. "Carnivac's one of us. We look after our own! But we can't go in without backup ... No sense in committing suicide. We need help."

Carnivac peered in the window, keeping within the shadows,

Likewise, Spinister and Snarler. Together they're a problem. I want them alone. Later!

"He's got stealth on his side, though" said Springer. "And he knows how to fight. He was a Decepticon, you know."

"Not enough. Not nearly enough. Even if we were all there, I wouldn't like to bet on the outcome. The Mayhem Squad are the best the Decepticons have!"

But this...

Outside, Bludgeon sat alone, back to Carnivac.

"So, we need help. But that means the Earthforce and it also means dealing with Grimlock. What's he gonna say when we tell him we've got a..."

This is better -- Much better ....

"Blast it! Why couldn't he have waited? I want the Mayhems as much as he does for what they did to Catilla. We all do! But we agreed to wait and let the Decepticons make the first mistake."

"No, Springer - You agreed. Carnivac wanted revenge, pronto! We may be a team, we may be the Survivors, but Carnivac's as individual as they come!"

You - You're the one, Bludgeon! Your sword ended Catilla's life! There's two categories in this world, my friend - hunters and... Carnivac leapt for him. ...Hunted-

"Uhnn!..."

"Fool! " Bludgeon spat, as he leapt out of the way. "Did you think to catch a master of Metallikato unawares? Stealth - Hah! You do not know the meaning of the word!"

He hurled his sword at Carnivac. Carnivac sprang away. "I can wait a few more seconds for your death!" snarled Carnivac. "Aww, missing your sword? Too bad!"

"I will tear you apart with my bear hands!" screamed Bludgeon.

"NEVER! DIE, MURDERER!"

And they tore into each other.

"I know Catilla was his friend," began Springer, "but-"

"Enough, already!" broke in Skids. "We have to do something - now! Call in the Autobot Earthforce!"

"Easy to say, Skids, but I'm not sure they'll help. Not when we tell them we're going to save a Decepticon! Grimlock's liable to arrest us as traitors!"

"Whether you call in the Earthforce or not - we're going after Carnivac! We've been through too much to abandon him now! So what's it gonna be?"

Bludgeon threw Carnivac off him. He crashed into the wall.

"Aaah!"

"I'm glad you came alone, Carnivac .... This way you at least die like a warrior!"

"Uuuhn..." Messed up bad thought Carnivac. He's faster than I thought. And even if I beat him ... I've lost the element of surprise!

"What's happening?" asked Octopunch, wondering what all the commotion was about.

"Carnivac - Here!" exclaimed Spinister.

The wolf darted away. Gotta find a way to get it back - fast. C'mon brain - work!

"Okay" said Springer. "Let's go see Grimlock, but I warn you, he's liable to turn us down, flat!"

"Where'd he go?!" said Octopunch

"There!" Spinister pointed.

Bludgeon readied himself to lunge for the attack.

"No!" Spinister stopped him. "No close quarters stuff. We finish this now!"

"C'mon boss, ease up," urged Broadside. "It won't be that bad, I'm sure."

"I don't know, Broadside. I have a nasty feeling that this whole mess ... is going to blow up in our faces --"

Spinister blasted Carnivac, square in the head. The wolf blew to pieces.

 

~~~~~~~

Chapter Eight

Part IV

WHERE WOLF?

 

EARTHFORCE HQ, Churchill, Canada

"No! Out of question! We no help 'Cons! End of discussion!"

"But you don't understand, Grimlock!" protested Springer. "Carnivac's one of us - A Survivor! We need your help!"

Swoop turned to Grimlock and whispered in his ear. "Boss, I know you don't like it, but we need extra Autobots to swell our ranks. We've got five potentials here!"

"Okay-okay!" he growled. "You win! Take who you need, but I warn you - it waste of time! If this Carnivac takes on whole Mayhem Squad on his own - He already dead!"

"Too bad, Carnivac -" gloated Snarler. "You were a valiant foe! It is a pity it had to end like this, but you set a dangerous example. When Decepticons desert, they have to be hunted down and destroyed! If others were to start questioning -- Well, the whole structure of the Decepticon army would crumble! Goodbye, Carnivac -- Wait a minute! The wreckage ... it's just ..." Snarler was crushed beneath some heavy machinery, which mysteriously crashed on top of him ...

Time passed. Bludgeon was ripped into everything with his sword. "AAARGGGH!!"

"I don't get it -" said Octopunch, puzzled, "why are you so angry, Bludgeon? We got Carnivac, didn't we?"

"No! Spinister got Carnivac - shot him from a nice safe distance! No skill, no risk - no honor! Carnivac was a warrior! He deserved a warrior's death! The kill was rightfully mine, a one on one duel to the death! I want him alive, I want to fight - Eh?" Bludgeon spun around.

"If it's a fight you're after --" Springer had come - with reinforcements from the Autobot Earthforce. "--I reckon this qualifies! Broadside - find and assist Carnivac. The rest of you, with me. I've a mind to bag me a few 'Cons!"

Bludgeon grinned. "Excellent! I can't tell you how much I appreciate this, Springer!" He lunged for Springer and was attacked by Jazz.

"YEEHAH!"

"We owe you big, Octopunch-" said Skids, with a vengeance. "You and your Mayhem cronies! This where we collect!"

He rammed his motorcycle into the Decepticon and leapt off just in time, taking Octopunch out for the count.

"Yess! This is how it should be!" yelled Stranglehold. "We do not fear death, fools! If we fall, many shall fall with us!"

"Idiot!" snarled Octopunch, to Skids. "You forget that I am a Pretender!" And he split his Pretender shell.

They're enjoying this .... thought Spinister from atop the hill. - All three of them! They know they're going to die. They're outnumbered ... and still they enjoy it. He began to walk away from the heat of the battle. Well, they're welcome to their glorious death! With Carnivac gone, our job here is finished. I'm outta here, back to Cybertron - where I bel -Spinister was blasted square in the chest.

"Ghaaa!" he shrieked, as the blast tore through him, the immense force throwing him to the ground. The last thing he saw was a smoking gun.

Meanwhile, Broadside knelt by Snarler's body on the battleground.

"Hmmm ... What have we here? One Mayhem flattened and Carnivac's outer Pretender shell in pieces. It just doesn't add up. Unless ..."

Springer had his blaster aimed at Bludgeon's head. "No! You're lying! He has to be alive!"

"Think what you like. Carnivac's dead - blown apart! Whatever happens - we've won!"

"You animal!! You won't live to savor your victory. I'll make sure of that!" Springer began to pull back on the trigger.

"Stop!"

Springer spun around. "Carnivac! ... But -"

"He said I was dead, yeah? Wrong! They only destroyed my outer shell. I made it attack them. The mental shock when it got blown apart nearly fried my mind. Nearly ..."

"Well, you've certainly proved yourself worthy of our trust, Carnivac," Prowl, said, one of the Earthforce. "Here we were, out for blood and it took a Decepticon to remind us we don't kill. With that merciful act, I welcome you to the ranks of the Earthforce!"

"Mercy? Hah!" Carnivac spat. "These scum murdered my friend. They deserve no mercy! Denying them a warrior's death is the worst fate I can think of. I may now be a member of Earthforce, but let's not forget," Carnivac turned away to look at the darkening sky and the sun setting over the horizon. "I'm still a Decepticon at heart."

 

*

 Back to Decepticon Page

 

 Back to Transformers Page