Disclaimers at end.

 

Summary: Lorne (The Host) decides to show up after all ;)

 

 

Rating G - Humourish

 

Enjoy!

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

                      KREVLORNESWATH AND THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE

 

 

 

  "I hope I don't scare them," he said quietly to himself.

  "Scare who?"

Lorne spun around. "Jeezus, Angel, don't creep up on a fella like that. Caritas

is closed until further notice, you know."

  "Sorry ... Opening a portal and sucking people through does that. Scare

who?"

Lorne smiled. "I've decided to do it."

  "Do what?"

This. He held it up for Angel to see.

  "Oh no, you're not, are you?"

  "I certainly am."

  "You realise if you do it I'm going to have to kill you."

  "Oh, come on ... There's no harm."

  "Harry Potter?!"

  "It's that or Terry Pratchett."

 

* * *

 

  "Oh, thank goodness you're here ..."

Lorne smiled. "I couldn't resist."

  "I'm glad you changed your mind."

  "Changed my mind?"

  "This morning you rang and cancelled."

  "I did? Oh, yes, I did ... Sorry about that, uhh ... family matter, big mess, solved now."

  "That's good ... Was someone in trouble?"

  "You *could* say that ... But nothing to worry about."

The librarian smiled. "They should be here any moment ... I was going to have to get out an old wig and some old book, we were getting that desperate."

Lorne smiled and helped her move a desk.

  "Sorry about the phone call ... canceling an’ all that ... you know how pedantic mothers can be."

She chuckled. "It's only because she loves you."

  "You think?" //That'll be the day.//

The green Pylean draped some cloths over the table.

  "Have you got anything ... Let's say, to go with the book?"

He held it up.

  "Ohh, that'll love that .. Let's see ... I'll fetch some of the Halloween decorations."

As she left, Lorne sat down, still somewhat tired from his ordeal, though oddly looking forward to reading to a group of rowdy children he'd never met.

 

As he helped the librarian set up the decorations, he wondered about what she had said. Did his mother love him? Surely not, but then he mused, she *could* have mutilated him herself, or put him on the maggot pile, but she didn't, and he knew from experience, his mother was hardly affectionate ... Lorne smiled wistfully to himself. Who did have a perfect family life, he wondered, it was either this, that, or something else. Was his family any different because they were green and lived in a dimension thousands of light years away, and it dawned on him with a sense of dread. He would

have to go back. He sunk into his chair, turning a deeper shade of green.

  "Mister ... Uhhh."

  "Lorne," he said with a smile. "Call me Lorne."

  "They're here."

He stood and watched as the children entered and smiled, hoping that they wouldn't be scared off. Only one little girl seemed afraid. Lorne knelt down to her.

  "What's your name?"

  "K .. Kari ... Do you eat children?"

Lorne chuckled. "Only if they're naughty," and he wiggled his nose. The little girl giggled and sat down, eager to head the story. Lorne sat on his chair. Oddly enough, he felt completely at home as he began to read, "Chapter One ... The Boy Who Lived ... Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say they were perfectly normal, thank you very much ...' "

//My ass...// thought Lorne, as he continued to read.

 

* * *

 

  "I never thanked you enough," Lorne said to Fred.

  "What for?"

  "When you opened that porthole ... I ended up here."

  "And you wanna thank me for that?"

  "Hey, you've seen my world."

Fred gave a humourless chuckle.

  "Everyone's so serious there, so stand offish ..." Lorne said. "Now granted, LA has it's far share of shite ... Though in it's defence, Pylea is a lovely world, without the people that is ..."

Fred laughed.  “Except for you.”

Lorne smiled.    "And sure it's becoming a better place now the slaves have all been

freed, but I'm sure you understood what a slag of a place it was."

  "I sure did, but you ... you are Pylean."

  "Please ... I like to think of myself as Los Angelean. This place is hellva weird, but you can be anything here, be body and that's fine. On my world, you had to be what was expected of you and that was that. I was an outcast because I was different. Because I liked music, appreciated art, instead of being the runt in the family, looking after the farm and I felt sorry for the 'cows' ..."

  "Must've been hard..."

  "Torture ... Sorry you had to suffer it, Little One, but thanks again, you really saved my pretty green ass."

  "Pleasure ... I think ..."

Lorne smiled. "Take care, and don't worry, you're safe in this world - a lot safer than mine."

Fred smiled warmly, watching him leave.

 

* * *

 

Lorne sat, reading chapter Eight of 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.'

  " 'Potter! Said Snape suddenly. 'What would I get if I added powdered

root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?' "

Lorne found himself thinking he would rather face Double Potions followed by a triple detention with Professor Severus Snape than a return trip to Pylea.

 

* * *

 

  "Yes," he said to Aggie. "I'm going back."

  "Again? But I thought you said you would rather listen to a junior high production of 'Cats.'"

  "Trust me, I would, but I've some ... unfinished business."

  "That's great, Lorne, your aura is looking better already."

  "Thanks... I think."

And he gave her a kiss which suggested a lot more than friendship and he left Aggie wondering ...

 

* * *

 

Despite himself, Lorne found himself again on his homeworld, after having created a safe porthole ... at least he hoped.

  "Angel'd have my green balls for lunch if he knew I was here ... " he muttered to himself as he found his way home, avoiding the riffraff.

 

  "What are you doing here, vile spawn!" His large bearded mother huffed.

  "Well I ...uhh ..."

  "Haven't you caused me enough grief?"

  "Well that's just it, Mother, you see, I ... never meant to cause you duress, I mean ..."

  "Then why did you, filthy child?"

  "Well ... you never understood that I was ... different..."

  "I ate the wrong son."

  "So you keep telling me. I'm not staying long if you'd like to know."

  "Good!"

  "Mother, I must know ... what did I do that was so wrong ... Was it so despicable to be different? Why in Hades can't you be happy for me?!"

Lorne's Mother shook her head and her face contorted in such a way, Lorne thought she might cry.

  "Because you were the only one who understood the ways!"

  "The ways ... Ohh, the natural order of things .."

  "Yes, devils damn it! We believed you were the chosen one!"

  "Ohh ... because I could talk to nature here ... and communicate with beings from other worlds."

  "Yes ... we had such high hopes for you ..."

  "Why didn't you tell me ... You really do care .."

  "That's going a bit far!" But Lorne knew she did and that was enough.

His visit, worthwhile.

  "And you couldn't understand why I wanted to leave, why I cared so much about sounds and beings from another world?"

  "No..." his mother sniffed.

  "Why couldn't you just be happy for me? That I was happy."

  "Because I wasn't happy! No one was!"

  "I don't believe this! You were jealous?"

  "Yes, damn you! To see you so bright and cheerful while others cursed us..."

  "Mother, I'm sorry for the 'shame' I brought my family, but it wasn't intentional, Jeez ... This planet needs a serious life."

  "Well of you must know, Groosalugg's been good to us ... and we're getting on fine without the cows.."

  "Mother ..."

  "Oh all right, humans ... It's been hard, mind you."

  "Change always is.”

  “Except for you."

  "Mother, if you were given the thing in the universe you most wanted, would you not take it?"

She didn't answer.

  "Wouldn't you?"

  "Yes!" She hissed. "Damn you! Why do you always have to be right?!"

Lorne smiled. "You always did hate that."

Without warning, his mother grabbed him so hard he thought he would break.

  "Tell anyone hugged you and I swear I’ll eat you."

  "My lips are sealed," Lorne croaked. "I love you too, Mother."

  "Wash your mouth out with cows droppings!"

Lorne managed to chuckle.

  "And next time, bring some of those Earth brownies with you. I've heard they're delicious."

"Will do."

His mother smiled her awkward toothy smile.

Lorne too smiled as he left, feeling as though a humungous weight had been

lifted and he heard his mother from inside the house.

  "Numfar, do the dance of joy."

  "How does that one go?"

 

* * *

 

And upon his return, Lorne sat with the children and concluded the book. " 'Oh, I will' said Harry, and they were surprised at the grin that was spreading over his

face. 'They don't know we're not allowed to use magic at home. I'm going

to have a lot of fun with Dudley this summer ..’."

 

Lorne grinned.  The children cheered.   The Pylean closed the book and smiled to himself.  He had found his own Philosopher's Stone and wondered in awe, what he would unearth next in the Chamber of Secrets ...

 

 

 

                                                         *

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Disclaimers: Joss Whedon (Mutant Enemy) owns the Angelverse.

J.K Rowling created the Harry Potter Universe.

 

 

I make no moneys from this, so there, Wolfram & Hart!

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Back to Angel Page

 

Back to Buffy~Spike Page