Disclaimer:  Knight Rider was created by Glen A. Larson.

 

Summary:   KITT goes through an emotional change.

 

Rating M  - Drama/Romance

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

KNIGHT RIDER

 

 

STARRY KNIGHT

 

 

 

  “Michael, promise me you’ll keep your hands to yourself.”

  “Kitt!”

  “Every time we meet a young woman-“

Michael sighed.  “Kitt, I can’t help how I feel about the opposite sex.”

  “Well I saw a beautiful purple DeLorean the other day but I didn’t ask her out.”

  “Kitt ...”

  “You can’t afford to offend her, Michael.  She’s FLAG’s foremost authority in Australia.”

  “And head of Sydney office.  I know that, Kitt.  I won’t even look at her, okay.”

  “I’ll believe that when I see it.  Here she comes.”

  “Where?”

  “One hundred meters down the strip.  On your best behaviour, Michael.”

  “Yes, Father ... Anyway now’s the prefect time to test those new x-ray sensors of yours.”

  “Michael I am *not* going to tell you what colour underpants she has on.”

  “Aww, you’re no fun.  What about your new long range visual?”

  “She is wearing a Winnie the Pooh bandaid on her left index finger.”

  “Winnie the Pooh?  I didn’t know you watched cartoons.”

  “Saturday morning.  I get bored.  As for the x-ray sensors, she is carrying a wrapped package with various DVD’s.”

 

The short, slender woman approached.

  “Michael ... Hands to yourself.”

  “I promise to behave.”

  “Good.”

KITT opened his door.

  “Thanks, Kitt,” Persephone said with a smile.

  “My pleasure, Miss Avalon.  I trust you had a pleasant flight?”

  “Yes, I did, first time I’ve travelled first class, it was very nice,” she smiled.

KITT drove off.

 

Persephone glanced at her watch and waited for a few seconds before she looked up.  “Happy Birthday, Kitt.”  She produced a wrapped up package.

Michael gave hr a blank look.

  “I calculated the exact moment Kitt came on line.  Hope you your pressie.”

  “I ... I  don’t know what to say,” KITT began.  “Thank you ... I ... you really shouldn’t have.”

Persephone smiled.  “I wanted to.”

She began to unwrap the present.  “I got you some car movie DVD’s, the Herbie movies and some others.  Not Christine though.”

  “Ohh good.  She gave me the creeps!”

  “Me too!”

 “Michael smiled.  You have a way with cars, Miss Avalon.”

Persephone smiled.  “You should be able to play the DVD’s on your new multi-phase media drive that Bonnie installed,” she said to KITT.  “Also, how’s your new memory?”

  “As good as the old one,” KITT said.  “But I must admit having an unlimited memory is rather refreshing and thank you for the new oxygen recycler. I am the state-of-the-art AI now.”

Seph smiled.  “My pleasure.  I wish I had an unlimited memory.  I can never remember where I put anything and KITT, there’s nothing artificial about you.  You have a soul.”

It seemed as though KITT smiled.   “Why than you, Miss Avalon.”

  “Please, call me Persephone or Seph.  Also if your new drive, memory or instalments give you any grief, let me or Bonnie know.”

  “I will, thank you and you have me at a disadvantage, I hardly know anything about you.”

Seph smiled.  “What would you like to know?”

 

     *    *    *

 

  “I have to see Devon and Bonnie,” Seph said.

  “About my new engine?” KITT asked.

Seph nodded.  “Don’t be afraid, Kitt, it’s just an upgrade, but you’ll still have all your functions and your charming personality.”

  “Glad to hear it.”

Michael could almost see KITT smile.  He paused before he spoke.   “You’re also here about the exchange.”

  “Yes, that and the problem in both our sides, Louis Foye.”

  “He has a long arm to have contacts in Australia.” Michael said.

  “Yes, and I’m here to help break that arm.”

  “I like your style,” Michael said.

  “Michael...” KITT began.

  “What is it, Kitt?” Seph asked.

  “Nothing, he told me to remind him he has to see Devon also...”

Michael nodded.  “Thanks, Kitt...”

 

     *    *    *

 

   “Devon, I don’t need an official from Australia to tell me how to do my job.  Sure she sounds great, but-“

  “I assure you, Bonnie, Persephone Avalon isn’t here to tell you how to do your job.  She’s here to help you and to help FLAG nail Louis Foye.”

Bonnie sighed.  “Sorry, I get touchy when something involves Kitt.”

  “You’re far too overprotective.  Apparently she gave Kitt a birthday present.”

  “It’s Kitt’s birthday?  How could I not have known?  Heck now I feel awful.”

Devon smiled.  “So does Michael.  Please try and get on with Persephone.”

  “I’ll try.”

 

       *   *   *

 

  “You must have been good to impress Australia’s Donald Starke,” Michael smiled.  “I’ve heard he’s one tough cookie.”

  “He’s not so bad,” Seph said.  “A teddy bear, really.  Shh!  Don’t tell him I said that!”

“Our audios are sealed,” KITT promised.

Seph chuckled as the black Trans-Am opened his door.

  “Enjoy the DVD’s.”

  “I will.   My favourite is ‘Herbie Rides Again.’”

  “I think I like them all.”  Seph began to walk inside.

  “Knock yourself out, Kitt,” Michael said.

  “I rather like her, Michael,” KITT said quietly.

  “Keep your wheels to yourself, now.”

  “Very funny.”

 

 

  “Welcome to America,” Bonnie said.

Devon shook Persephone’s hand.

  “Glad to be here.  Kitt and Michael are as charming as you described.”

  “I described Michael as charming?” Devon said. “That’s the last time I drink Red Zinger tea.”

Bonnie started to laugh then caught herself.  Seph smiled, then turned to the technician.

 “Bonnie, I’ve wanted to meet you for so long.”  Seph offered a hand. 

Somewhat uncomfortably, Bonnie shook it.  “You’re so lucky to be able to work on Kitt.  He’s wonderful.”

Bonnie smiled.  “Yes he is.”

She felt a little better about the Australian visitor.

 

            *   *   *

 

  “Most of my time has been taken up on creating the Knight Industries Six Thousand,” Bonnie said.  “Based on the 1982 Trans Am model, and Kitt’s workings, the car for your organisation in Australia.  It’s ready for you to test drive.”

Bonnie indicated a sleek white Trans-Am.

Seph nodded.  “Thank you.  It looks lovely, but I doubt it has KITT’s personality.”

  “No,” Bonnie sighed.  “Unfortunately not.”

  “But then he’s one of a kind.”

  “He sure is.”  Bonnie felt herself warming to the visitor.

KITT rolled onto the floor.

   "I am the Knight Industries 6000 A.”  It spoke with a haughty female voice.  “I am Kist."

  "Not by me, you're not." Kitt said.

Bonnie and Seph shared a chuckle.  Michael smiled.

   “I am designed to be superior to the Knight Industries 2000 in every way.”

  “At least I have a personality,” KITT retorted. 

  “Don’t feel inadequate, Kitt, with your new engine you’ll be equal.” Seph said.

  “With a personality.”

  “Exactly, Kitt.   There are still quite a few bugs to work out with it.”

  “Devon’s calling,” Michael pulled out his communicator.

  “We’ll be back soon, Kitt,” Seph promised.  “In a short while, Michael and I have to test drive snobby.”

  “I feel for you, I really do.”

Seph laughed and patted KITT’s hood before leaving with the others.

 

  “Feelings do not serve FLAG,” the other car said.  “A sense of humour and charisma are human characteristics.  They impede function.   You are an inferior model.”

  “Bitch,” KITT said, then rolled outside.

 

 

            *   *   * 

 

  “You know she never talked back to me once,” Michael said when he returned form the test drive.

  “Michael, you’re not leaving me are you?” KITT said, mock hurt.

Michael, Seph and Bonnie laughed.

  “Kitt would I ever do that to you?”

 

            *   *   *

 

  “You’re meeting with Pierre Gustav, this afternoon” Devon said to Michael.  “He’s been after Foye for years and considers himself the foremost authority on his nemesis.”

  “Sounds good,” Michael said.

  “Michael, you’re to co operate with Gustav fully.”

  “So what you’re sayin', Devon is be on my best behaviour and no wisecracks.”

  “Just until we capture Foye.”

  “I’ll be a good boy until then.”

 

            *    *    *

 

Pierre Gustav climbed into KITT.

  “Bonjour, Kitt.  Parlez-vous Francais?

  “Oui monsieur. “

  “Impressive,” he said to Michael.  “Can he speak other languages?”

  “Ita vero,” Kitt said.

  “What did he say?”

  “Yes, I hope,” Michael said.

  “Correct,” KITT replied.  “In Latin”

   “I’m sorry if I offended you,” Gustav said to KITT.   “I’m not used to talking cars. komment-alez-vous, Kitt?”

  “Tres bien, merci.”  KITT drove off.

  “So,” Michael began.  “How long have you been after Foye?”

  “Over five years,” Gustav began and then he sighed. “You must think I’m not a very good detective.”

  “Some crooks are hard to catch,” Michael said.

Pierre nodded.  “I almost had him on numerous occasions.  I feel like Elliot Ness trying to nail Al Capone.”

  “So wehre do you propose we start?”

Gustav stroked his dark beard.  “His last known whereabouts were in the vicinity of downtown Los Angeles.  I know this isn’t much to go on. Reports also state he has become interested in FLAG, recently.”

Michael nodded.  “Which is why we’re on alert.  His boys raided FLAG in Sydney last week, so we’re on triple security.”

Pierre nodded.  “Good.  Do you have any clues as to what he’s after?”

Michael shook his head.  “Something he really wants, that’s for sure.  Perhaps plans for the new car.”

   “Perhaps.  Let’s discuss more over lunch,” Pierre said.  “There’s a charming little French restaurant not too far from here.”

  “As long as you don’t expect me to eat snails and frogs legs.”

Gustav chuckled.  “Their soufflé is to die for.”

 

KITT parked outside the restaurant and waited.

 

Michael returned.

  “Where’s Pierre?” KITT asked.

  “Gone to report back to his people.  He certainly is full of charisma.”

  “If you ask me, he’s full of merde,” KITT said.

Knight chuckled.

  “Can I speak other languages?” KITT scoffed.  “Next time I’ll speak Klingon.”

 

            *   *   *

 

  “The last time I was in Australia, I was held up by customs, would you believe?” KITT said.

  “I’m so sorry about that,” Seph said, embarrassed.  “My country should have shown you better hospitality.”

  “I’m over it.  Almost.”

Seph chuckled as she opened his hood.  “The upgrade won’t hurt,” she assured.

  “I can’t feel pain,” KITT said.  “But thank you for your concern.”

The human smiled as she closed his hood.  “It shouldn’t take too long and it will feel the same as your old one, just with added features.  Bonnie should be back soon with the necessary parts.  Kitt if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask us.”

  “I believe both you and Bonnie have answered everything.  Would you like to go for a drive?”

  “Kitt, I’d love to.  Thank you for offering.”

He opened his door for her and she climbed inside.  KITT rolled off.

 

  “Careful, Kitt,’ Seph said as he swerved around a very sharp corner.  “I don’t want you to blow a gasket.  I don’t suppose you have a no claim bonus?”

  “I’m perfectly fine, I assure you,” KITT replied, hoping she didn’t notice he was showing off.  “And if I did have a no claim bonus, Michael saw to it loooooong ago.”

Seph chuckled as KITT increased speed.

 

KITT stopped outside a small restaurant.  Seph hopped outside.

  “I won’t be long.  I wish I could run on liquid hydrogen.”

  “I don’t suppose you’ll think it would taste very good.”

Seph chuckled as she entered the almost deserted eatery.

 

Seph exited the restaurant in a huff.

  “What kind of a place doesn’t have vegetarian on the menu?!”

The owner chased after her.  “You no like my menu?” he swore at her.

  "That man gets no tip,"  KITT said.

  "I'll just give him a small one .... Oi!  Here's your tip - be nice to your customers and you might have more of them!”

 "Well said, Seph."

With a huff, the owner stormed back inside.

  “Really, I can’t abide some people.”  Seph said, climbing inside KITT.

  “There’s a vegetarian cafe not too far from here,” he ventured.  “Allow me to take you.”

  “That’ll be lovely, thanks, KITT.  I’d offer to get you something, but...”

  “Enjoy yourself.”

 

Seph returned with a vegie burger, a feta and tofu roll and a piece of vegan chocolate cake.  She sat half in and half out of KITT.     “I don’t want to get any crumbs in you.”

  “You’re too kind.  Michael never worries about that.”

She finished her lunch and began on the cake.

  “Mmm this is so nice ... Kitt I wish it was combustible so I could share some with you.”

  “I wish it was too,” he said, for the first time in his life, wondering what chocolate tasted like and wished he *could* taste it.

 

KITT began to drive when she had finished.  On the way, he saw a beat up Volkswagen on a scrap heap,

  “Makes me feel sorry for the poor thing.”

  “Ohh, Kitt, you’re so sweet!  I’ve got a soft spot for Volksies too.”

 

            *   *   *

 

  “Michael, I am not wearing that.”

  “Come on, Kitt’, it’ll be fun.”

  “Besides, it definitely is not my colour.  Glow yellow lime? Come on.  Really.  It’s truly heinous.”

   “You must be proud, you won the Car of the Year Award.”

  “Any they sent me fluffy dice?  Why not a wash and a wax?”

Michael shrugged.  “I’ll give you a wash and wax, how’s about that?”

  “As long as I don’t have to wear the dice.”

Michael laughed.  “All right, no dice.”

 

Seph came to see them and gave the fluffy dice a look.

 “Don’t look at me, they’re not mine,” KITT said.

  “Yes they are, Michael said.  “Kitt won the Car of the Year award.”

  “Congratulations, Kitt!” Seph kissed, then patted his roof.

  “It was nothing, really.  All I had to do was look pretty.”

Seph laughed.  “You sure are a character.  I’ll miss you when I go back home.”

  “As will I,” KITT said.

Seph turned to Michael.  “It’s ready.”

  “The long range spy camera?”

The young woman nodded.  “It’s hooked into KITT’s systems and disguised as this brooch.”

Michael nodded.  “I don’t have to tell you to be careful.”

  “I will be.”

  “It’s too dangerous,” KITT said.

  “Kitt, they don’t know me,” Seph said, “and it will be easier to get the drop on them.  We know their meeting point and so it should be a cinch.”

  “If you say so, but as Michael said, be careful.”

  “I plan to.”

 

            *   *   *

 

Not without apprehension, Seph sat at the fountain.  She couldn’t hear what the men were saying.

  “Are you getting it, KITT?” she whispered.

  “Loud and clear.”

She touched her brooch.  “You’re like a guardian angel.”

 

  “So we should be seeing the end of Knight and his car thanks to our little gift.”

  “Car of the Year ... “ the other snorted.  “Ya think they bought it?”

  “As soon as it takes off with dem dice, kaboom!”

 

  “Michael,” KITT said.  “Those dice are a bomb.”

  “Kitt, they’re not that hideous.”

“No, I mean really, they’re a bomb, planted by Louis Foye’s men.”

  “I sure am glad you didn’t wear them.”

  “Any car with any fashion sense wouldn’t wear fluffy dice.  Seriously though, we need to diffuse that bomb.”

 “I’ll get Flag’s team on it right away.”

 

“Louis told me to tell you we’ll be meeting him 4pm Wednesday.  Do you think FLAG suspects anything?”

  “Nada.”

The two men laughed.  “Where we meeting him again?”

“At the old wool shed.”

  “Gotcha.”

 

The two men went their separate ways.  Seph kept reading “Mort” by Terry Pratchett, until the men had long gone, before she stood.

  “Kitt?” she whispered.

  “Got everything.”

  “Great.”

  “Who yer talking to?” A man nearby asked.

  “My Guardian Angel.”

 

            *    *    *

 

  “Glad to see you back safely,” KITT said.

  “Glad to be back.  I’m so glad you got rid of that bomb. It could have been a disaster.”

  “Fluffy dice *are* a disaster.”

Seph laughed as she gave Michael the spy camera.  “Well I don’t know about you two, but I’m buggered and I’m off to bed.” See you later, Kitty Kitt." She kissed his hood and left.

Michael raised an eyebrow.   "Kitty Kitt?  Did I miss something?"

KITT’s front crimson scanner light tracked back and forth with that gentle humming sound.

 Michael shook his head.   "You're in waaay over your hood, *Kitty Kitt*."

 

 

            *    *    *

 

Seph and Bonnie worked together on KITT’s new engine.  The FLAG Technician had warmed to the Australian guest.  Seph seemed to love KITT as much as she did and took great care when she worked on him.

  “How does that feel, Kitt?” she asked him.

  “Wonderful, like I just rolled off the assembly line.”

  “I’m glad.”

  “You and Bonnie make a terrific team.  I’ll miss you when you go back to Australia.”

  “I’ll miss you too, Kitt.” Gently Seph patted his engine.

 

            *    *    *

 

  “Ahh, Seph, thank you for coming,” Devon said.  “It’s my pleasure to invite you to FLAG’s annual charity ball, if you would be so gracious as to attend.”

  “Devon, I’d be delighted.”

  “If you don’t have a dress you can borrow one of mine,” Bonnie said, “we’re about the same size.”

  “Thank you, you’re all so kind.  I really feel at home here.”

  “You’re most welcome,” Devon said.

 

            *    *    *

 

 

  “You two look lovely,” Michael said as he accompanied Seph to the ball.  She wore a green and white ball dress.  Bonnie wore an exotic blue number.

  “Michael is right,” KITT said. “Very pleasing to my optic sensors.”

Seph and bonnie laughed.  “You look wonderful too, Kitt,” the Australian observed.

  “Though you two look much better in an evening dress.”

The three humans laughed as they exited KITT.  Seph placed her hands on KITT’s hood.

  “I wish I could dance with you.”

KITT swirled his wheels.  Seph laughed.  “You’d knock ‘em dead, Kitt.”

  “I might roll over your toes, I’ve never danced before.”

Seph chuckled.  “I’ll miss you.”

  “I’ll be waiting right here.”

The young woman smiled warmly as she left with Michael and Bonnie.  The FLAG technician was touched at the bond KITT and Seph had formed and hoped he didn’t miss her too much when she returned to Australia.

 

Seph didn’t enjoy the ball much, it really wasn’t her thing.  She snuck out to one point to say hello to KITT, who was pleasantly surprised.

 

Needless to say she was glad when it was all over and KITT was taking them all home.

  “Thanks for the dress, Bonnie.”

  “Don’t mention it.  It looks great on you.”

 

            *    *    *

 

The next afternoon Seph came into the FLAG HQ excited.

  “Is Kitt here?”

  “He and Michael are out on patrol,” Devon said.

  “Oh ... I have something for him that’s all, but it can wait.”

  “I’m sure it can wait until Michael gets back.”

  “It’s not for Michael.  It’s for Kitt.”

Devon gave her a curious look.  Seph smiled and showed him. 

The older man smiled.  “I’m sure he’ll love it.”

And she waited for KITT to return.

 

The young lady jumped up excitedly when she heard KITT’s engine and rushed out to greet him.  Devon smiled. But with a hint of sadness.  She would sure miss KITT when she returned to Australia.

 

  “Kitt, I have something for you.  I found it this morning when I was shopping.  It’s not fluffy dice, I promise.”

  “Thank goodness, but you really shouldn’t have.”

Seph smiled.  “I wanted to.”  She produced a large tin from inside a bag.

  “Chocolate scented car oil,” KITT read, impressed.

Michael shook his head and smiled.  “You’re in for a treat, Kitty Kitt.”

Seph chuckled.  “It probably doesn’t taste like chocolate, but it’s the next best thing for cars.  I almost couldn’t believe it when I saw it.”

  “Thank you, Seph, that was very kind of you.”

She stroked Kitt’s side.  “I couldn’t resist and I can’t wait to try it out.”

  “Neither can I,” KITT said, opening his hood.

Seph unscrewed the lid and poured some of the oil into him.

  “Runs like a dream,” the black Trans-Am said.

  “I’m glad.”

Bonnie came to them and smiled.  “Wow, you sure know how to spoil him.”

Seph smiled as she capped the tin.  “You can have some more later.”

  “Not too much.  Wouldn’t want to put on weight,” KITT joked.

Seph, Bonnie and Michael laughed.

 

            *    *    *

 

KITT and Seph cruised along the countryside.

  “It sure is pretty here.”

  “Agreed,” KITT said.  “It does have a calming feel to it.  “Wait a minute ... Brace yourself, there’s a tree across the street up ahead.”

KITT drove through it, obliterating it.

  “Wow .. Are you sure it doesn’t hurt?”

  “Not a scratch.”  Would you like me to Turbo Boost?”

Seph was hoping he’d say that.  “Do you mind?”

  “Not at all ... Ready?”

Seph nodded excitedly.  KITT leapt off road, and tried to out do his last jump, making it by ten meters further.  Seph jolted and reached out, KITT realised his passive laser restraint had blown as he set down as gently as he could.

  “Are you all right?” he asked, concerned.

  “Kitt, that was wonderful!”

  “I almost knocked you unconscious.  That should at least rate some abuse.”

Seph laughed.  “It was just a glitch.  Nothing Bonnie and I can’t fix, anyway, I’m fine.”

  “Thank goodness for that, but that rules out any more stunts or this afternoon.”

  “I think I’ve had enough for one day, a peaceful drive is fine.”

And she and KITT continued their leisurely countryside drive.

 

            *    *    *

 

“There, Kitt all fixed, your laser restraint shouldn’t give you any more problems,” Seph said.

  “Thank you, again I’m sorry about-“

  “Kitt, it’s fine.” Seph smiled warmly and patted his hood.

  “I’m not sure I want you to come with this afternoon,” KITT said.  “It might be dangerous.

  “Ohh, Kitt, you’re so sweet, but I’ll be fine.”

  “Louis Foye is a dangerous man”

  “I know that, but I’ll have you to protect me,” she said with a smile.

  “That’s all fine and well, but I’d feel better if you stayed here. I’m afraid I must put my wheels down.”

Seph smiled and sighed.  “All right, Kitt, I’ll stay here for you.”

  “For you, Seph,” KITT said.  “I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Both Seph and Bonnie were touched by KITT’s affections.

  “Don’t worry, Kitt,” Bonnie said.  “I’ll keep her safe and busy.”

  “Thank you, Bonnie, see that she keeps out of trouble.”

The two women laughed.

  “See that you and Michael be careful too,” Seph said.

  “I’ll be careful,” KITT said, “though I can’t vouch for Michael.”

Bonnie and Seph smiled.  Michael shook his head.

 

 

            *    *    *

 

  “I have good news and I have bad news,” Michael said when he returned.  “the good news is I know how to nail Louis Foye.  The bad news, or rather shocking news is, Louis Foye is Pierre Gustav.”

Devon almost dropped his teacup.  “What?!  But he’s been trying to catch Foye for years!”

  “So it appears.  He’s posed as Gustav to throw everyone off.”

Devon sat back in his chair.    “And it worked.”

 “Gustav didn’t see me or KITT, so we can lure him into a trap.  Pretend we need to see him to give him information of Foye and then, WHAM!”

  “Good idea, but we must be cautious.  He’s been that good to evade capture for so long.”

Michael nodded.  “I agree.”

 

            *    *    *

 

  “I never liked that man.” KITT said.  “There was always something about him.”

  “Kitt I’ll trust your intuition form now on.”

  “Thank you, Michael, but I’m not revolving one wheel until I get a tune up.  We both have to be in tip top shape if we’re going to nail this guy.”

  “So you’re sayin’ I can’t have any burgers and fries until then?”

  “Exactly.”

 

            *    *    *

 

Seph fiddled inside KITT.

  “Tell me when it feels right,” she said.

  “You’ve almost got it ... Ahh there, that’s it.”

  “Great.”

She began to close up.

  “You have exquisite hands,” KITT said.  “Like Bonnie.”

The human smiled.  “Thank you, KITT.  You have an exquisite engine.”

Gently she stroked it as she carefully closed KITT’s hood.

  “Your new engine should work fine.  It should feel the same, only it’ll give you more power, flexibility and speed.”

  “Sounds good.”

Seph smiled as she climbed inside.  “Let’s take a look at your internal systems.”

  “They’re working perfectly, I assure you,” KITT said, “though I wouldn’t mind if you checked over them.”

Seph had been hoping KITT would say that as she fiddled inside him.

KITT relaxed to her gentle touch.  “You really do have lovely hands.”

  “Thank you, Kitt,” Seph said softly.  “I’ll miss you so much when I go back to Australia.”

Silence fell for a while.

  “Is something wrong?” KITT asked.  “I detect a fluctuation in your energy field.”

  “Oh ...” Persephone sighed.   “Kitt ... I .... Well ....” She sighed again. “There’s something I want ... to ....” she stopped.

  “What is it?” KITT prompted gently.

Ever so gently, Seph placed her hands on his wheel.

  “Something I’ve been wanting to say ever since I met you ... Kitt ... I know we hardly know each other ... but ... I had heard so much about you.”

  “All good I hope.”

Seph chuckled.  “Of course ... and I always wanted to meet you ... And now that I have I knew I would ...”

  “Would ... form an attachment to me?”

Seph nodded.  “But it goes deeper than that ... Kitt, I’m in love with you.”

KITT paused before he spoke.  “When did you ...”

  “Before I’d even met you and when I did, I loved you even more ... Kitt I’m sorry if I’ve made you feel uncomfortable ...”

  “On the contrary,” KITT said.  “I’m rather fond of you too ... Very fond.” KITT upped the air conditioning, making it a little warmer.

  “Oh, Kitt ... I don’t know what to say ... I ...”

  “You don't have to say anything...”

  “I’d never come between you and Michael.”

  “Michael is very special to me.” KITT said.  “But I feel differently about you ... I ... Michael is a very special friend, but you ... I ...”

Persephone smiled warmly.  “I feel the same way.”  Gently she kissed his wheel and stroked his voice box.

  “But I’ll never be able to kiss you back ... Or hold you ...”

  “KITT, you are holding me, and love doesn’t have to be so restricting ...  You’re a very special person, Kitt, regardless of your form.  I would love you no matter what you were and I fell in love with you as you are, the Knight Industries 2000.”

  "Actually, technically, I’m a Knight Industries 6000 now, but if you start calling me Kist, I'm outta here."

Seph chuckled and kissed him again.  Gently she stroked his dash and KITT wished he could return her gentle touch.

 

            *    *    *

 

KITT drove Michael back to the FLAG unit.

  “She told me she loved me,” he said.

  “What?”

  “Seph ... I don't know if I should have told you, but she-“

  “She what? ... Really...”

  “Yes, Michael...”

  “What did you say to her?”

KITT was silent.

  “Kitt you didn’t tell her you loved her, did you?”

  “Not in as many words ...”

  “But you implied it? ... Oh, Kitt, be very careful ...”

  “What is it, Michael, you’re saying she doesn’t love me?”

  “It’s just that...”

  “Is it because I’m a car?”

  “Well, Kitt, women don’t usually fall in love with cars ... and...”

  “You care about me don’t you?”

  “Yeah, well that’s different.  You’re my best buddy and my partner.”

  “Even though I’m a car.”

  “Yes ... I can tell Seph feels strongly for you and you have been rather overprotective of her ... Now it all makes sense ... I just don’t want either of you gettin’ hurt ...”

  “I don’t plan to do anything to hurt her, Michael and I’m sure her feelings are genuine.”

  “As long and you’re sure.” Michael paused.  “Are you sure you’re in love with her?”

  “Head over wheels.”

  “Hoo boy.”

 

 

            *    *    *

 

  “Are you sure Seph must come with, Michael?  I don’t want her to get hurt.”

  “But it’s okay if I get hurt?” Michael asked with a smile.

  “Oh, of course not, but you’re used to this sort of thing.”

  “Seph is going to be sitting in the cafe with me and she’ll have a stun gun.”

  “That makes me feel a little better, but I still don’t like it.  Louis Foye is one dangerous man.”

 

            *    *    *

 

  “I’ll be fine,” Seph assured KITT.  “Nervous, but fine.

  “Nervous.  That makes two of us.  Be careful, both of you.”

Michael and Seph climbed out of KITT and waited for Foye in the cafe.

 

  “Fashionably late, Gustav?”

‘Pierre’ smiled.  “I’m sorry, I was held up at the bank.”

  “Always the way.” Michael said as the bogus cop sat down.

  “Have you ordered yet?”

 “No, but we’re just about to.”  Michael called the waiter over.

  “I’ll have a Vegetable Stroganoff.  Seph?”

  “Sounds great.  Make that two.”

  “Pierre?”

  “Oh ... the chicken kiev looks nice.”

  “So that’s two vege stroganoffs and one chicken kiev,” the waiter replied.  “Anything to drink?”

  “Some pomegranate juice,” Seph said.

  “Beer for me,” Michael said.  “Domestic.”

Gustav nodded.  “Beer, though imported.  Do you have French?”

The waiter nodded.

  “Excellent.”

The waiter went to put the order in.

  “So, Pierre, any news on Foye?”

  “I believe I’m closing in on him as we speak.  I have tracked down his hideout as I told you yesterday, the old abandoned wool shed, though it seems deserted.”

Michael nodded.  “Do you think he suspects anything?”

Foye smiled.  “Non.”

  “I have something to discuss with you before the waiter returns with our lunch.”  Michael looked Gustav right in the eye.  “Louis Foye, I’m placing you under arrest, for murder one, fraud and impersonating a police officer.”

  “You plan to say this to him when he’ arrested.  Very good my friend, but you forget that it is I who will nail him.”

  “I believe I already did, *Louis.*”

Gustav laughed.  “What kind of a joke is this?  A bit late for April fools, don’t you think?”

Michael looked unamused.  “One of FLAG’s operatives spied on your people, leading us to the warehouse.  You were seen, Foye.  Game’s over.  Checkmate.”

Gustav smiled and his eyes darkened.  “You have me in check, though it’s far from mate.” He thrust the table into Michael and Seph and bolted out the door.

  “Oh no you don't!” KITT exclaimed, blocking his way.

  “*Fou le camp!*” Foye screamed.

  “You watch your language,” KITT snapped.

Foye bolted over KITT’s hood, to his stolen Police care and dashed inside.

Seph bolted out of the cafe, training her stun gun on Foye.  She ran after him  KITT backed up.  Foye took off in his car, smashing against KITT with such force, it pushed the Trans-AM back a little.  Seph tried to get a clear shot.

  “Get out of the way!!” KITT yelled.

Foye swerved around, hitting Seph, sending her body flying.

KITT’s fuel pump stopped.  Michael stared and ran to her.  KITT was by her side before him.  He said nothing after he scanner her.  Michael knelt down beside Seph and felt her pulse.  There was none.

KITT revved up his engine.

  “Kitt ...”

The Trans-Am sped after Foye in Super Pursuit Mode.

  “KITT!!! Don’t do it!  You’ll never forgive yourself!”  Michael had no idea whether KITT had heard him.

 

In no time, KITT had caught up to Foye and rammed his car.  The police car jolted and refused to go on any more.

  “Merde!” Foye spat as he climbed out and made a dash for it, but Kitt was having none of it and he cornered Foye in a small alleyway.

The terrified criminal backed up against the dead end, hoping the car hadn’t lost it.

 “Give me *one* reason,” KITT said.

 “You’re programmed not to harm humans ...” Foye blurted.

  “You barely pass for human.”

  “It was an accident ... She just got in the way ...”

  “You’re a poor excuse for life, you know that?  I won’t kill you. I don’t want the karma, which I’m happy to say you just earned a load of.  You’ll get your comeuppance, count on that.’

KITT radioed Michael, and made sure Foye didn’t escape.

 

KITT didn’t say anything as Foye was arrested and taken by the police to be locked up and the key thrown away.  Michael came to him.

  "I know how you feel , Kitt ... because I felt the same way ... when Stevie died..."

  “Thank you, Michael,” KITT said after a long pause.  “I can’t believe ... I don't want to believe that she’s ...”

 

            *    *    *

 

It had been two days since Foye had been arrested and  KITT had hardly said a word.

“There you are,” Michael said, finding him in one of the lesser used garages at FLAG HQ.

  “Come, Kitt, they’re taking the white car to Australia this evening.  Time for us to put on our Sunday best and say goodbye.”

  “You go, Michael, I’m really not feeling up to it.”

  “Kitt, I’m afraid you have to.  I know it’s hard for you, but we both have to be there.  I need you to be there.”

  “Okay, Michael, I’ll do it for you.”

  “Thanks, Buddy.”

 

            *    *    *

 

KITT and Michael arrived on the scene.

   “I hope you sorted out its personality disorder,” KITT said dryly.

Bonnie smiled.  “Ohh we did more that that, Kitt.  Are you sure you don’t want to say goodbye?”

  “Goodbye,” KITT said to the other car, curt.

  “I guess it is,” the other car said.  “Although I was kind of hoping for a hug.”

  “Seph?”

Bonnie nodded.  “Yes.  Her consciousness has been transferred into the Knight Industries 6000 A.”

KITT was flabbergasted into silence.

  “Kitt got your tongue?” Seph asked.  “It was kind of a shock to me as well at first, but I was told it was the only way I could live and I thought I’d give it a go.”

  “Seph ... I don't know what to say .... I ... I’m thrilled ... I ... I thought you were ...”

  “So did I ... Until I woke up and couldn’t feel my legs or my arms and discovered I had wheels instead.  It’s kind of cool.  I always wondered what it would be like to be you and now I know.”

KITT paused.    “...Seph ... is that still your name or did they change it to Kist?”

  “Oh gods no, imagine the teasing I’ll get from that.  I’m still Seph.  Specified Exclusive Phased Hyperdrive.  Cool, huh?” The white Trans Am said.

  “I’m still getting over the fact that you’re here ...”

  “Miracles happen, KITT, never doubt that.”

  “I won’t ever, I promise.”

  “Glad to have you back, Seph,” Devon said.

  “Glad to be back.  Sorry I can’t shake your hand.”

Devon smiled.  “Still as cheerful as ever.”

Bonnie patted Seph’s hood.  “Just call me if you need anything.”

  “I can tell you two cars want to be alone.” Michael said.

  “Thank you,” KITT said as the humans left.

 

  “Seph did I ever tell you how beautiful you are?”

  “My car form or human form?”

  “Well ... both actually.”

  “As beautiful as you, Kitt.”

  “Seph I am so sorry this has happened.”

  “Don’t be, Kitt.  I wouldn’t have it any other way.  Never in my wildest dreams did I believe anything like this would happen.  As they say truth is stranger than fiction.  The only thing is I have to go back to Australia, until they can build a new car down there.  Six to twelve months at least.  I’ll miss you so much.”

  “As will I.”

KITT rolled around, his fender touching hers.

 

Michael and Bonnie looked over.

  “They’re kissing!” Bonnie said in an excited whisper.

  “That’s so sweet.” Michael almost had a tear in his eye.  “A pity she has to leave so soon.”

  “It’ll only be for a few months,” Bonnie said, “but he’s not used to missing anyone.  I wish she could stay too.  I’ve grown quite attached to her.”

 

 

 KITT and Seph rolled along the countryside in a leisurely drive.

  “This is so relaxing, Kitt.  I’ll miss this so much ...”

  “You’ll be able to go on drives with your new partner in Australia.”

  “Yes, but it won’t be the same.  I won’t be with you.”

  “I know how you feel, but we mustn’t let sorrow spoil our time together, and besides, we can always e-mail each other.”

  “That’s true.  I can’t wait until I come back, but you’re right, let’s spend the rest of the time we have not thinking about what we’ll miss.  Wanna race?”

 “You’re on.”

 

In a furious race on a deserted track, both cars tied.

  “I had a feeling that would happen,” KITT said.  “I’d have let you win anyway.”

  “Ohh Kitt, you’re so sweet.”

  “Do you think we could head back?”

  “Not just yet.”

 

And the white and black Trans-Ams rolled along dusk fallen highway, until the first star of the evening emerged, twinkling, seemingly especially for them as they cruised side by side along the open road.

 

 

*

 

 

Received 3 votes in the Edward Awards for "Best Short Story" - 2002

Received 5 votes in the Edward Awards for best female character - Persephone Avalon - 2002

Received 2 votes in the Edward Awards for "Best Comedy Scene" KITT & KIST first meeting.

Received 3 votes in the Edward Awards for "Best Heartfelt Scene" - Seph and KITT almost kissing.

Received 23 votes in the Edward Awards for "Best AI Author created" - WINNER!!! YAY!! - 2002

Received 7 Votes in the Grand Awards for Best AI Author Created" WINNER!! YAY! -2002

 

Back to Knight Rider Page