Disclaimers: Saint George (Lucasfilm) crated the Star Wars Universe.  Lucasfilm owned by Disney. George Lucas created the Star Wars Universe. Movies by 20th Century Fox/Disney. I make no Republic Datari {Credits}, Peggats, Truguts, Wupiupi, etc from my fanfic/fanart/fanfunnies.  Story written purely for enjoyment and the only profit I make is the happiness my writing brings.   The Force is With You Always :)

 

Summary: Qui-Gon goes to the Sith for peace talks.

 

Rating PG

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

THE PERILS OF SPACE

 

In order to prevent another war between the Sith the and Jedi, Qui-Gon, has gone, despite the misgivings of the Jedi Council, to meet with Darth Maul and his Master, Darth Sidious, after the elder Sith spoke of Peace.

The Jedi are 120% certain it's a trap, but Qui-Gon is determined to give Peace a chance.

Maul had previously given him the coordinates of his small space station, where the negotiations were to take place.

Qui-Gon is prepared to fight both Sith, and knows he may well lose his life, but he hopes they will at least listen and give Peace a chance.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

After narrowly avoiding the first wave of a rather nasty ion storm, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn's craft approached the Sith's space station and he looked somewhat relieved it was actually there. He had no wish to fight a space battle, before he had a chance at least to talk. His ship had been fit with extra weapons, should it come to that, much to Qui-Gon's reluctance - he'd rather not use weapons, but knew they were a necessary evil.

He became puzzled when he sensed three life forms aboard the station, not one of them being Maul or his Master. The Jedi Master sat back, finally attuning his senses, sensing no rage or hatred, only nervousness, sadness and fear. Not feelings one would expect from Sith Lords - and as the Legend says, there were only ever two. Qui-Gon tuned into the third and more elusive life form. Despair, hopelessness, pain, fear, loneliness, longing. A prisoner? Were they all prisoners?

Distancing himself from the disturbing thoughts, Qui-Gon tuned in again, his eyes snapping open. Children. Three frightened children ... Though somehow he sensed they were not prisoners. The Jedi docked without incident and sensed no deception - yet.

 

Clearing his mind, Qui-Gon emerged from his small cruiser and entered the station, the children's nervousness and fear turning to relief and joy. Puzzled, Qui-Gon began to walk to the waiting area, where Maul had instructed him to go. It was obvious the Sith Apprentice wasn't here. Even with masked feelings, Qui-Gon would have sensed the younger Sith.

Two children came bolting around the corridor like speeding podracers. They stopped dead when they saw Qui-Gon, in an instant, their faces changing from joy to terror as they panicked and ran the other way.

"I'm not going to-" the Jedi Master started to say, but they had bolted and in their panic, wouldn't have listened. He sensed their complete and utter terror and wished to calm them, but sensed there was little he could do. If he pursued them, it would only deepen their fear, and decided to leave them be. Perhaps they would overcome their fears. He sensed a little curiousness buried deep underneath, and that's when he realised, not without a shock, they were Darth Maul's children.

He still sensed the despair and longing, now so much closer, it pained him and all he wanted to do was ease or end it if he could.

He decided to wait for Darth Maul and his Master and found an empty room. He focused, quietened his mind and sensed the two children nearing again.

"What do you think he's going to do?" asked the girl.

"Father said he was coming," her brother said.

"Where is he? ... I'm scared ..."

"I don't know..."

"Do you think he got eaten and hurt by the monster?"

Qui-Gon listened, but did not move from where he sat, he didn't wish to startle them. They seemed very frightened of this 'monster,' more so than of him. He hadn't sensed or seen anything, any creature resembling what would, by a child be perceived as monster.

He wanted to tell them their father was on his way, caught in the ion storm, though the Jedi Master's presence was enough to frighten them, without seeing him.

"He'll be all right," her brother assured, although he wasn't sure herself.

Shira lowered her voice. "What do you think the Jedi man will do... Do you think he'll hurt us or Father?"

"I don't know," Bishir said. "But Father said he came here to talk about piece and he said that Jedi are compassion."

Shira frowned. "Piece of what? What is compassion?"

"Donno."

From where he sat, Qui-Gon smiled and waited patiently, hearing the rumblings of the second wave of the ion storm as it approached the station.

Again he sensed the fear and despair and it wasn't coming from the two children. He waited until they had left, exited the room in which he waited, slowly entered a darkened room and illuminated it a little. He sensed no danger, bur fear and that same longing, despair and deep pain.

He saw a cot near the door and walked to it, his footprints making no sound. The Jedi peered inside. A tiny baby lay half asleep, confused and frightened. Qui-Gon sensed the infant's extreme Force sensitivity, the child's utter despair and hopelessness, his pain both physical and mental. The baby had not been abused, but the victim of ailments, including blindness, partial deafness, and by the look of him, was not going to get any better. Now sensing the baby's discomfort at the heat, he gently removed one of the blankets, calming the overheated child a little. Qui-Gon closed his eyes and tried to connect with the baby, sending a gentle pulse of the Force to him, helping to ease his ailments both physical and mental, subtly calming the infant. He touched the babe's face so lightly, he hardly touched him at all.

The Jedi Master sensed the baby relax to his gentle touch, although the infant was still tense, frightened and in pain.

"Please don't hurt our brother..."

Qui-Gon turned toward the timid voice to see Shira peering at him. She ducked away the moment he laid eyes on her.

"I'm not going to hurt him," he said, his voice even softer than usual.

Shira peered around the door again, then withdrew in an instant. Qui-Gon smiled. Very slowly, she peered around again then ducked away. Qui-Gon could have caught her easily, but that would only frighten her, so he stayed put.

"He doesn't look so bad," she whispered to her brother, unaware Qui-Gon could hear every word, and again he smiled.

"But he's a Jedi... He's got a light sword thing like daddy does. What if he uses it?"

"Do you think I should get my laser gun?"

"That's a toy," Bishir said.

"Yeah, but it stings if you get hit."

Qui-Gon smiled and wanted to assure them he had no desire to hurt them, but feared if he spoke they'd run off again.

"He said he wasn't going to hurt us," Shira said. "I guess he would've by now if he wanted to ... Where's Father... he should be here ..."

Bishir took his sister's hand.

"The ion storm slowed him down," Qui-Gon said, softly, as he slowly emerged from the room, "but he's all right."

"H ... How do you know?" Shira asked, backing off, keeping her distance.

"I'm a Jedi, I can sense things."

"Father can too..."

An ear shattering bang followed, sounding like the station had been torn apart.

Terrified, Shira grabbed onto her brother. "It's ba...ck..."

The children hugged onto one and other for dear life. Qui-Gon sensed their fear and realised this was the 'monster' they were so frightened of. He wanted to assure them that -

The storm struck again, louder. Shira burst into tears, and instinctively fled into Qui-Gon's arms. He knelt down to the shivering girl. Realising where she was, her terror increased.

"Please ... don't ..."

"I won't hurt you, I promise" Qui-Gon said, his voice gentle.

"What are your names?" He asked after a pause. "Mine's Qui-Gon Jinn."

"Shi..ra.." the girl said timid, "and my brother ... Bishir... and Dasi..." She pointed to the cot in the room.

Again the storm struck, Shira clung onto Qui-Gon like a frightened cat. The Jedi Master held her gently as another barrage of the storm hit the station, this one much louder than the others, Bishir too ran to him, despite his fear of the Jedi. Qui-Gon stayed with the frightened children, the storm terrifying them more than he did, although they were still quite wary. Gently, he placed his arms around them.

"Will the monster get inside?..." Shira was afraid to ask.

Qui-Gon smiled gently. "It's not a monster, it's an ion storm."

"Why does it make that horrible sound? Is it angry?"

"No, the energy of the storm reacts to the energy of the stations shields and that's what makes the noise, though it does sound scary doesn't it?"

"Aren't you afraid?"

The Jedi smiled. "The shields will hold," he assured.

Shira eyed him sceptically. "Are you sure?"

Bishir looked up to the Jedi, Qui-Gon smiled warmly.

He sensed the children were still afraid of him, but not quite as much as they had been.

Again the storm struck and Shira clung onto him. "I don't like it ..." she shivered.

"It won't hurt you, I promise," Qui-Gon said.

She looked into his eyes, and despite her fear, saw the kindness in them.

"Do you have any children?" she asked.

"No," he said with regret. "I never had the chance, though I would have liked to."

Shira smiled slightly. "Girls or boys?"

"Boys," Bishir said.

"Girls." Shira stuck her tongue out at her brother.

"Both," Qui-Gon said with a smile, the children warming to him a little more.

Shira clung to him as the storm raged outside. Qui-Gon held her gently, a subtle smile touched his face, when he sensed despite her fears, she and her brother felt safe with him.

The louder the storm became, the more frightened the children became.

"What if it does get through our shields?..."

"It won't," Qui-Gon assured gently, though it did sound like the station was being ripped apart.

Shira tried to burrow deeper into the Jedi Master's robes as he

knelt with the children, comforting them.

"When will it stop ..." Shira wailed. "It's longer than last time ..."

Qui-Gon held the girl and her brother, the little boy trying not to feel afraid.

"Ion storms usually have between two and five waves," Qui-Gon explained. "I'd say this wave's almost over."

The little girl looked hopeful. "You think so?" She peered out from under Qui-Gon's chocolate robe.

The Jedi Master smiled. "Listen, it's not as loud anymore."

Shira peered out again and looked at Qui-Gon. The Jedi smiled warmly, sensing she was still a little afraid of him. He also sensed her younger brother's uneasiness and unwillingness to admit his fear.

The children looked up at him as he shielded them from the storm, although he knew the station was safe, the children needed his comfort, despite their fears of him.

//What do you think he'll do?// Bishir mind-asked his sister.

Shira peered up at Qui-Gon, unaware the Jedi could sense what they were saying. He smiled again at them, assuring the children he meant no harm. "The storm's almost over," he said quietly, holding their small hands.

//He seems okay,// Shira said.

Qui-Gon smiled to himself, staying with the children until the second wave was over, sensing they felt more comfortable with him now.

He stood with them and sensed they wanted to stay with him.

"You're hungry" he sensed. "Have you had anything to eat?"

"We had some moon rock candy," Shira said.

Qui-Gon smiled. "Very nice, but hardly a substantial meal."

"Are you hungry?' Shira asked, nervous.

"Not as much as you guys," he said. "Would you like me to fix you something?"

"You can cook?"

Qui-Gon smiled again. "I have many hidden talents."

//He's a Jedi Master, Silly,// her brother thought. //Of course he can cook.//

"I don't know about that," Qui-Gon said. "Yoda is hopeless."

The children seemed surprised that the Jedi heard their thoughts.

"Is he the little green one?" Bishir asked.

Qui-Gon nodded. "But don't tell him I told you that he's a bad cook."

The children giggled, further warming to their strange guest.

The Jedi Master lead the two to the kitchen. "Even my Padawan's not *this* messy..." he said with a chuckle, surveying the surroundings, looking like space pirates had really raided the place.

"Father's been very busy..." Bishir tried to explain. "He... please don't blame him."

"I don't," Qui-Gon said, as he helped the children clean up the mess, placing empty containers, canisters and whatever else into the recycler. Sighing inwardly, he began to place the many dirty dishes into the cleaner.

"I didn't think Jedi Masters washed dishes," Bishir said.

Qui-Gon smiled. "You'd be surprised." He sensed more dishes lurked elsewhere in the depths and decided to leave it until he could fill the unit and washed his hands.

"Now that's done, let's see about dinner." He opened the fridge unit and it took all of his Force control not to retch.

"Don't tell me," he said, "your Father's 'science experiments' right?"

The children giggled.

"Yes, Jedi Masters clean out fridges too ... Though we try not to let them get this for gone..."

The children smiled as he took a breath and reached inside.

Anything with visible mould or smelled like ammonia went straight into the recycler. Even Qui-Gon could not hold back a grimace at the curdled solid Eopie milk, from white, it had transformed khaki... and he cared never to lay eyes on the monstrosity again.

"What *have* you children been eating besides moon rock candy?"

"We had some Itk Tak chocolate wafer biscuits, some instant Malastarian noodles and some left over Isiri stew Father... tried to make..." Bishir lowered his voice. " He's probably a worse cook than your Yoda, but don't tell him."

Qui-Gon chuckled.

"We also found some malt biscuits and a recipe and made some Shai tea ... We meant to clean up before Father came home..."

"Obi-Wan left my kitchen in a similar state after trying to make Moussaka ... So you like Shai?" Qui-Gon sounded impressed.

"It's yummy," Shira said.

"A woman after my own heart," the Jedi Master said with a smile.

"Father likes Shai too."

"Well that's something we can both agree on ... Now let's get you guys something to eat."

He looked in the fridge, all that remained were two mandarins and a bowl of burnt smelling Isiri stew.

"Not much here ... Do you guys have a storage area?"

Shira nodded. "But it's locked and we don't have the right code and so we can't get any chocolate."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "No problem ... Your father really should give you the code for-"

"He's not usually away this long," Shira said, worried.

"He's all right," Qui-Gon assured. "Fuming, swearing like a Stormtrooper, caught in the storm, but he's okay."

Shira smiled.

Despite her Father's outright hatred for the Jedi and his dispassion, Qui-Gon sensed how deeply the children loved and cared for their father.

They followed the Jedi Master to the storeroom.

"Have you been here before?" Bishir asked. "You know your way around."

Qui-Gon smiled. "The Force is an excellent navigator."

Within a few minutes the threesome had come up on the storage area. Qui-Gon waved his hand, to which the door opened obediently. The children stared.

"The Force is also great for picking locks," he said with a smile.

The youths giggled as they entered, the room illuminated by motion sensitive lighting.

"Now what do we need ..." Qui-Gon surveyed the dry area, obtaining some cereals, special formula for the baby, malted powered drinks, biscuits, vegetables, meals and chocolate, much to the children's delight. Next, the refrigerated unit, he obtained fresh vegetables, fruit, milk, juice and other ingredients. In the frozen unit, he obtained both red and white meat and grimaced when he packed some liver into the mobile anti-grav unit.

"Father really loves that stuff, raw or cooked," Shira said. "I think it's gross."

"I'm inclined to agree," Qui-Gon said, "but each to their own."

"Wasn't it cold in there?" Bishir asked

"I felt the drop in temperature," Qui-Gon said, "but focusing on warmth and the Force keeps me from getting cold."

"Wish I could do that," Shira said.

Qui-Gon smiled as he obtained some bathroom supplies and closed up the storage unit and the three headed back up to the living area, but not before he placed a canister of fish food into the unit.

Shira gasped. "I forgot about them!"

"They're okay," Qui-Gon said. "Hungry, craving clean water, but they're fine for now."

The girl looked relieved.

The threesome began to unpack their spoils, and Qui-Gon smiled, wondering how his life would be, had he a family.

The food, neatly packed away in the kitchen. Shira placed the meat in the freezer, sensing Qui-Gon didn't want to touch it.

She smiled when she saw some bubblebath packed into the anti-grav unit.

"I thought we'd run out."

"Force forbid," Qui-Gon said. "No one should be without bubblebath."

The children giggled.

"You like it too?" Shira asked.

"Doesn't everyone?" the Jedi Master asked.

"Father doesn't."

"Bet he does when you're not looking."

Both children laughed.

"Do Jedi children like bubblebaths and chocolate too?" Bishir asked.

Qui-Gon smiled. "I like bubblebaths and chocolate."

"You're good with kids," Shira said.

Qui-Gon smiled. "Thanks."

The children followed him to their baby brother's room. The Jedi Master approached the cot, again sensing the child's despair and pain. Calming his own emotions, he gently reached in and picked up the infant, softly reassuring him with warm waves of the Force that he meant no harm. The baby relaxed and calmed a little, but some fear remained, though Qui-Gon sensed it wasn't directed toward him. The Jedi Master gathered Dasi's wet blankets and small wet mattress. The children tried to pretend they couldn't smell anything.

"We did change him," Shira said.

"Well he definitely needs changing again," Qui-Gon said, looking at the hackneyed nappy.

"Does the Force protect you from bad smells as well?" Bishir asked.

Qui-Gon smiled. "Jedi learn to control their senses ... and it's not your brother's fault."

"We know ... I really wish we could help him."

"You can."

"How? Father said he can't be helped."

"His condition can't be cured, but you can help by comforting him, being here for him and being very gentle with him - and changing him more often when your father isn't here," he added with a soft smile.

The children watched as the Jedi Master gently carried the baby to the bathroom, with the soiled bedding.

Qui-Gon didn't pay attention to the hideous state the bathroom was in, though he was hardly surprised. His main concern was the baby. Out of the storage cabinet he took two bath towels and laid the baby down on one of them, gently undressed him, placing his soiled clothes and diaper in the washer. The boy didn't cry, but his discomfort was eminent.

"Increase room temperature, five degrees" Qui-Gon said.

The station's computer complied, the baby seemed a little better, but still quite upset. The Jedi Master realised it wasn't anything he was doing, the baby had a nasty, painful rash.

He ran some warm water, pouring a little low allergenic baby bath foam into it, rolled up his sleeves and placed the child into the liquid, his touch soft as kitten fur. The infant relaxed a little, as the Jedi Master gently washed him, softly lathering his hair, extra gently washing the rash area, then lifting him out, carefully drying him, using the Force to further ease the pain and discomfort of the rash as he reached for the baby powder, sprinkling it over the affected area.

He took the now clean, warm and dry clothing and bed clothing out of the wash unit and donned the baby with his nappy and white over garment. The child relaxed, feeling the physical pain ease, though Qui-Gon still sensed his despair and longing as he carried the baby and bedclothes back to the bedroom.

"Shira," he said, "can you please bring the malt and milk we brought up from the storeroom?"

She nodded and quickly hurried to fetch it as Qui-Gon made the baby's bed.

He held the child gently as girl returned.

"Thank you," Qui-Gon said, taking it from her, placing it in the bottle, mixing it with the baby's special milk formula.

"We've never put malt in there before," Bishir said.

"It'll help him sleep," Qui-Gon explained as he gently fed the baby, seeming to enjoy the sweet concoction, though at one point, coughed and spluttered all over his clothes and Qui-Gon. Shira gasped, the Jedi Master smiled.

"It's all right, I'll change him again." He carried the baby to the bathroom, gently taking off his soiled clothing, and wrapped a towel gently around the babe's body, again placing the infant's clothing and his own overshirt into the washer.

Within a few moments the garments were clean and dry. Qui-Gon dressed the infant, pulled his shirt back on, and took the child back to the bedroom.

"Are you mad?" Shira said. "You just changed him. Father got really mad when that happened once, but he didn't hurt Dasi."

The Jedi Master smiled. "Babies are like that, they need a lot of care and they don't realise they've made a mess, they can't help themselves."

He gently put the babe into the warm covers of his cot and placed the light cellular blanket over him, resting his fragile head on the soft pillow, the child falling asleep almost instantly as the three left the room.

Shira smiled. "I think he likes you," he's never been so calm before.

The Jedi Master smiled. "Just needed some TLC ... Like your rooms..."

The children looked embarrassed, the room looking like a battle zone.

"But let's get you guys something to eat first."

When in the kitchen, he began to gather some ingredients.

"Traditionally this takes a while, but just for you, I'll use the microwave unit."

He poured juice for the children and began to make Isiri stew.

"I'm afraid you'll have to settle for a vegetarian version."

The children smiled, didn't matter to them.

"Are all Jedi vegetarian?" Bishir asked.

"Not all," Qui-Gon replied, "some come from carnivorous races, and others have different values, but most Jedi eat chocolate."

The children giggled as Qui-Gon prepared their dinner.

"Father hates cooking," Shira said.

"And he's terrible at it," Bishir added, "but don't tell him."

Qui-Gon smiled. "He probably knows. Though the main ingredient in any dish is patience."

"Father's terrible at that too."

The Jedi Master chuckled.

In less than half an hour he'd finished the stew and didn't hear any complaints. The children were delighted when he gave them Alderaanian chocolate mousse for desert.

He began to stack the used dishes into the dishwasher including those he'd brought from the baby's room and wasn't surprised when it was almost packed to the brim.

"Now you two go and clean up your rooms and have a bath."

"Do we have to?..." Shira complained.

Qui-Gon smiled. "What's wrong with a bath?"

"I wanna play."

"Baths can be fun," Qui-Gon said. "And they're very relaxing."

Shira looked sceptical. "They are?"

"Sure, if the water temperature's just right and you have lots of bubbles and of course you can play in the bath."

The children giggled.

"Not too much bubblebath though," Qui-Gon said. "You have to wash your hair."

Shira made a noise of displeasure.

"You haven't washed it in three weeks," Qui-Gon said. "That's why it's itchy and feels so dry and yucky."

"It is?"

The Jedi nodded.

"How do you know?"

"He's a Jedi Master, silly," her brother said.

"Oh yeah."

"Just bring out the dirty dishes and clothes," Qui-Gon said, almost fearing to look inside their room. "I'm surprised you're not breeding retro rats..."

The two giggled as they collected many dirty clothes, placing them in the wash basket, piling the dirty dishes, and placed some broken toys and damaged drawing utensils into the recycler.

Shira looked guilty. "We were going to tidy up ... but..."

"You were too busy playing?" Qui-Gon said with a smile.

The children tried to look innocent.

"It was fun. We played some games, watched 'Bear in the Big Blue Space Station' and then our station was attacked by the Dreaded Space Pirate Roberts. I'm the beautiful Princess Bride."

"And I'm the handsome Prince," her brother said.

Qui-Gon smiled. "Pleased to meet you, your highnesses. Did you catch the pirates?"

"No ... then the storm monster thingy attacked ... and we were scared and Daddy wans't here and ... Do you think it'll attack again?"

"There is another wave, though it isn't due for a while yet, though I assure you, there' nothing to be afraid of, though it sounds very scary." He smiled gently as he helped the children gather more dirty stuff.

"Not as much fun as chasing Pirates," Shira complained.

"Princesses don't usually chase pirates," Qui-Gon said with a smile.

"I'm a special Princess."

The Jedi smiled again, admiring how a make believe world could feel so real and wondered if he could regain that sense of being a child. "Indeed you are, though even Special Princesses need clean clothes. With all these dirty dishes and stuff around you and the Prince could get sick."

The children smiled again. Shira picked up a plate of a half eaten muja pie, sniffed, screwed up her face, then threw it into the recycler, as Qui-Gon helped them remove the bed clothing, smiling to himself ... Halfway across the Galaxy he'd come to negotiate Peace, willing to risk life and limb, to fight to the death. Housework was not something he had been prepared for ...

Prepared for the least likely a Jedi must be, Qui-Gon mused and thanked the Force Yoda could not see him now.

Qui-Gon took the full basket to the bathroom as the children took the dishes to the kitchen and activated the very full cleaner.

Shira bit her lip when they came to the bathroom.

"We'll clean up ..."

Qui-Gon smiled and shook his head as he helped them pick up empty hair care and bubblebath bottles, some broken toys and placed them into the recycler, then began stashing the dirty clothes into the wash unit in the wall, also throwing in the wet, smelly bath mat and towels that had seen better days.

"Father uses that towel," Shira said. "He hates the Auto-dry."

"Can't say I blame him, they are a little drying on the skin... Now before I start this thing, is there anything else that needs washing, besides you two?"

The children giggled.

//I like him, Bishir, even though he's a Jedi.//

//Yeah, he doesn't seem so big and scary anymore.//

//I think he's a big pussycat.//

"Meow."

The children looked startled.

Qui-Gon smiled.

"Father's rooms!" Shira exclaimed, "he has some clothes and stuff."

"I don't think your Father would appreciate me going into his rooms," Qui-Gon said.

Shira giggled. "Don't worry, he's not as messy as us."

The two children walked along the corridor to their father's room, and began collecting a few items of clothing on the floor and the bed clothes. Shira found a broken plate of half eaten liver and brought it out.

"I take it that's off?" Qui-Gon said, screwing up his face at the remains of the green liver.

Shira held her nose and the Jedi threw it into the recycler. She and her brother gave Qui-Gon the clothing, which he shoved into the washer.

"Don't think it's ever had such a workout."

He felt awkward being with the children of his enemy, though they needed care and realised the reason he'd come here wasn't only to discuss Peace.

He ran the bath water for them and poured in a little bath foam.

"Put your clothes and shoes into the wash unit when you undress, then press the big green button," Qui-Gon said.

"We know," Shira said. "We've used it before ... once or twice..."

The Jedi Master smiled as he left the children to bathe, sensing them playing pirates in the rough seas of old.

He found himself starting to feel tired, but forced himself over it.

While they bathed, he waited in the living area and caught sight of the murkiest fish tank he had ever seen and sighed. It was up to him to save the poor helpless creatures ...

He carried the tank to the kitchen, where he found a container and ran some clean water, gently caught the four fish, assuring the fretting creatures he meant no harm as he and placed them inside, they seemed happier already as he gathered the fishes' plants, toy mermaid, dolphin and sunken ship, then poured the murky water into the recycler, and began to clean the tank, filter and toys, having to give the rocks more than one wash, filth stirring up like a Bag'Ori swamp before the rocks returned to their natural aqua color. Gently he washed the murk off the plants, surprised they weren't dead.

When he was satisfied, he poured clean water into the tank, placing the filter and toys back, using the Force to balance the pH and temperature. Gently he placed the fish back, giving them a soft dose of the Force to calm them and remove the murk they had ingested in the filthy water, the creatures ecstatic to actually *see* where they were going.

He quickly packed away the clean crockery and utensils in the dishwasher before carrying the fish tank back to the living area and reconnected the filter, giving them a small pinch of flake food and watched them as they ate hurriedly, then swam about,

the four animals really quite beautiful now that he could see their shimmering rainbow bodies.

"Makes a change from the Swamps of Dagobah, doesn't it?"

The fishies seemed to smile.

The children emerged, clean and dry.

"See, I washed my hair," Shira said, shaking her head about. "It feels so nice now."

Qui-Gon smiled as he affectionately ruffled it. "See, I told you."

"I never thought a bath could be so much fun," her brother said.

"Chores don't have to be chores," Qui-Gon said.

He took the clothing out of the washer. "Can you help me put this stuff away?"

Part of himself still couldn't believe what he was doing, the other part, enjoying helping these children, despite the awkwardness of the situation.

The youngsters began to put their clothes away, put the fitted sheets on their beds, throwing their quilts on, higgeldy-piggeldy, playing whilst they did so, before they took their father's black sheets and clothes into his room. Shira placed his night robe onto his bed, the children quite enjoying tidying up.

Qui-Gon smiled as he watched them. He sensed how much they loved their father, despite how evil the Sith appeared.

It was obvious that Darth Maul didn't have all the time he needed for his children, and he doubted the Sith's Master would babysit no matter how much was offered.

 

When he and the children had finished, Qui-Gon activated the station's AutoClean, widebeam, eliminating every dust particle, germ, fingerprints from the walls and anywhere else, water from the bathroom floor ...

The children got ready for bed and demanded that Qui-Gon read them a story. He wasn't sure what to tell them and told them an ancient tale of a Jedi and a Sith who fell in love, and hoped for Peace between their people.

"That was beautiful," Shira said.

"Don't tell your father I told you that story," Qui-Gon said with a smile, as he placed warm covers over them. When he was satisfied they were comfortable, he started to leave.

"Qui-Gon..."

The Jedi Master turned around.

"Please don't blame Father for the mess and stuff ..." Bishir said.

"I don't," he said gently. "I guess he's a really busy guy."

The children smiled as they rested their heads.

"Sweet dreams," the Jedi said softly, as he left the room to get some rest of his own.

He entered Dasi's room, to make use of the spare bed, the baby fast asleep, his chest rising and falling, his breathing making no sound. Qui-Gon hoped Maul arrived soon so the Jedi Master could do what he came here to do, despite sensing the Sith's deception.

He lay down in the covers of the spare bed, knowing he must rest. Trying to stay awake would hamper his performance should he have to fight. He would sense Maul's approach and hoped he would not have to engage him in battle, but what could he do if he had no choice? And the children, what of them? Would they despise him if he was forced to kill their father? If that be the case, he would have to find someone to look after them ... And if Maul killed him, what would the children think of their father? Please, he thought. Let there be no fighting tonight.

He put those thoughts out of his mind as he laid down and closed his tired eyes, beginning to hear distant rumblings of yet another wave of the ion storm and hoped the children weren't going to be frightened. However peace was not to be in Qui-Gon's favour this night.

No sooner had the Jedi Master assumed a comfortable position, trying to shut out the thundering storm, the children slammed on the light, burst forth into the room in terror as another barrage of ion particles hit, violently shaking the station. Qui-Gon sat up as the two children scrambled over him. He caught the young girl as she slipped.

"It's all right," he calmed gently, putting any thoughts of getting any rest out of his head and he helped her brother onto the bed.

"It's much more badder than last time," Shira whimpered, sniffing.

Qui-Gon nodded. "It's a little stronger, but we're not in any danger, I promise you."

Crackling energy and deafening bangs did nothing to east the children's unrest.

"Please ... can we stay here with you ..."

The Jedi Master held the girl's shivering frame and Qui-Gon smiled again. Comforting the children of a sworn enemy, this was not something covered in basic Jedi training.

"It's all right," he calmed gently, "there's nothing to be afraid of, though it does sound really scary, doesn't it?"

The girl nodded and thought the Jedi may be right - the station hadn't been torn apart, they hadn't been attacked and eaten, but she felt safer with him.

Qui-Gon sent a gentle dose of the Force to the stressed baby, assuring him he was safe.

Shira yawned, she and her brother lying beside Qui-Gon. The Jedi Master smiled, cherishing the children's trust.

He used the Force to turn off the light as the children scrambled underneath the covers and snuggled up to him. He chuckled softly as they accidentally tickled him, and smiled, wondering what it would be like to have children of his own. He sent a gentle wave of the Force to calm them, then laid his head down on the pillow, hoping all would be well.

A fuming Darth Maul in his worse for wear Infiltrator, began to approach the station, beyond furious about the delay, no doubt the Jedi's suspicions had been confirmed. Perhaps there was still a chance, though he couldn't ignore the gnawing anxiety.

He had meant to return three weeks ago. He hadn't been here in over a month. They always worried when he left them alone for long periods of time and he shuddered to think what state the station would be in. Probably look like space pirates had attacked, and ransacked as usual. He hated to leave his children, but he could hardly take them to meet the Master ...

Maul tried to calm himself for all the good it did. He did not want to greet his children in anger.

It began to worry him as he approached that he could not sense them. He couldn't sense their usual anxiety, not that he enjoyed sensing that, he hated them worrying, he couldn't sense them in play either and was puzzled as to why he couldn't sense a thing.

The station in full view now, Maul stared at the Jedi's Republic Cruiser docked and he still could not sense his children. His Master had always told him that Jedi were compassionate, Qui-Gon Jinn more so than others, but Maul wondered, would the supposedly gentle Jedi Master make an exception for his offspring? He still could not sense his children.

Burning hate, violent rage filled the Sith well beyond boiling point, a scalding torrent coursing through him. There would be no way in this Universe the Jedi would escape the station alive, Maul vowed to make his death as agonizing as was universally possible.

The Sith Lord docked, entered his station, ripping off his black cape, tearing his lightsaber from his belt, gripping his weapon so hard it almost snapped as he stormed down the corridor, his fury growing by the nano second.

He saw the children's bedroom door open and looked inside - bare. Maul let his fury and loathing drown out his worry and pain. He sensed the Jedi Master ... asleep in the baby's room and struggled to suppress a cry of rage as he tightly gripped his weapon. He couldn't believe the Jedi's 'arrogance' - sleeping? What did he think, this was a fucking hotel? And after what he had done ...

Qui-Gon stirred, sensing Maul's approach, though he remained calm, shifting only slightly, clasping his lightsaber, hoping he would not have to use it.

Maul stopped before the closed door. He did not want to give the Jedi the chance to defend himself. He would pay dearly. Secretly, he hoped Qui-Gon would beg for mercy. Nothing would please him more. It always amused him when enemies begged, of course he had never obliged them. Nothing could justify what Maul thought the Jedi Master had done, no matter how 'humanely.'

He opened the door in silence. Qui-Gon remained calm and 'asleep.'

Maul illuminated the room slowly, trying to mask his rage, so as not to alert the Jedi. He did not dare look in Dasi's cot, his amber eyes narrowed, blood and pure hatred coursing through him, intense anger flashing, and he smiled.

//Soon your blood, Jedi, will be dying my garments and adoring the walls... I will gut you and feast upon your liver!!...//

//Charming,// Qui-Gon thought to himself, shielding his deception from the Sith. He let any fears dissipate as he stirred slightly.

Maul's loathing grew, more than he thought it possible to hate anyone, including Jedi, the Jedi Master's peaceful sleeping form seeming to mock him. He raised his lightsabre, but before igniting it for the kill, tried to ascertain how the Jedi - so called Guardians of Peace and Justice, could condone such a thing, even if they were children of a sworn enemy. If they could justify that, Maul thought, they had no right to call themselves Guardians of anything. There would be no escape for *this* Jedi, he thought, though it seemed the damage was done. Again, Qui-Gon stirred slightly. Maul growled and ripped off the bed covers, preparing to ignite his lightsaber, then blinked in shock, surprise, disbelief. Next to the Jedi, slept both children. In the next moment, he ascertained they were both unharmed. Instantly, Maul checked the baby, who slept peacefully.

Qui-Gon 'awoke' rather convincingly.

"Ion storm," he explained quietly. "They got scared." The Jedi Master pretended not to notice the murderous hatred in Maul's eyes. The Sith blinked again.

"Sorry ... Couldn't stay awake ..." Qui-Gon said, his voice soft. He leapt from the bed, over the two sleeping children, the older man's agility surprising the Sith as the Jedi covered the children with the quilt.

"My ship was trapped in the storm," Maul said, not really knowing what else to say.

Qui-Gon acknowledged him with a nod, ignoring the lightsaber, gripped tight in the Sith's hand.

The two left the room to let the children sleep.

"You should have waited until the storm was over," Qui-Gon cautioned.

Maul's anger grew, though Qui-Gon showed no signs of fear. The Sith indicated his sleeping children. "No sense in lying ... They worry when I'm away for long periods of time."

"And how long would they worry if you'd been killed in the storm?"

Maul seemed annoyed, though he said nothing, grudgingly realising the Jedi was right. "I was not," he protested.

"That's besides the point."

"I suppose you think I'm a bad -"

"I never said that," Qui-Gon said. "Your children certainly don't think that."

A faint wisp of a smile touched Maul's face.

"I admit I was quite surprised to see-"

Maul paused. "I guess children were the last thing you expected to find on a Sith space station."

"You could say that."

"I'm surprised they came to you," Maul said. "They're terrified of strangers."

"They were at first, though they were more afraid of the storm than of me."

"They've always been terrified of ion storms," Maul grunted, rather dismayed. "No matter how hard I try."

Qui-Gon smiled. "Patience ... They'll learn there's nothing to be afraid of. When they realised I meant them no harm, well..."

"They're far too trusting for my liking," Maul scowled. "Though I see now you'd cry if you accidentally stepped on a cockroach."

The Jedi Master chuckled. "Thankfully I've never stepped on one."

Maul grunted. "Though I am surprised they took so well to you... and you bear them no animosity ..."

"What did you think," Qui-Gon started to say, "that I'd tortured, raped, murdered and eaten them, just because they're children of my enemy?"

Maul realised how ridiculous that sounded now.

"I assure you," the Jedi said, "I do not harm others, or kill unless I have to, I'm completely vegan and I'm a virgin."

"What?! At your age?"

Qui-Gon simply smiled. "Never met anyone I loved that way."

"That's admirable," Maul thought aloud.

"Thanks," Qui-Gon said with a smile.

A pause before he spoke again. "You really do have lovely children."

The Sith permitted a small smile. "They can be a handful, but-"

"You love them, right?"

Maul said nothing.

"It's not a dirty word you know."

The young Sith gave an amused grunt.

"I can only imagine how hard it is for you, learning to hate your entire life."

Maul said nothing, though impressed that thais Jedi seemed to know his inner feelings better than he did.

"I didn't sense them when I returned to the station," he said. "Usually I sense their anxiety long before I arrive."

"You didn't sense them worrying, saw my craft and thought I'd-"

Maul nodded. feeling foolish. "I apologize..." He forced himself to say.

Qui-Gon smiled. "No damage was done ... It was rather a nasty storm. I'm not surprised they were scared. Sounded like the station was being ripped apart."

"It's tri-durillium. Designed to hold together in a -"

"Yes, but to a child, an ion storm is terrifying. They need comfort, not facts."

"I am not good at that," Maul admitted.

"You can learn. The storm is over for now, but there'll be others."

The Sith nodded, sensing Qui-Gon was talking about more than just ion storms.

"A good thing this storm only had three waves," the Jedi Master said. "In my youth I was caught in one with twenty five."

"My children would have died," Maul said, dreading the thought. "There was another two years back ... Ten waves. Even after it was over, they wouldn't let me leave the station."

"Let me guess, you got angry and tried to explain the mechanics of an ion storm and the station?"

Maul fell silent.

"Would you have understood that at three? Or would you have thought it was a great big monster come to eat you?"

"Point taken," Maul growled. He wanted to get angry, but again realised the Jedi was right.

"If we must fight," Qui-Gon said, after a pause, "lower decks. The children should not have to see it."

"Agreed," Maul said, grudgingly his respect for his enemy growing. "They seem to have taken a liking to you," he said after a pause. "They'd never forgive me."

Qui-Gon smiled. "And if I lightsabred their father, they'd arguably never forgive me and I don't want three orphans on my conscience. I didn't gain their trust to betray them."

Maul's respect for the Jedi Master grew further.

"You obviously realise by now this 'peace treaty' is about as genuine as bantha poodoo."

Qui-Gon gave a smile. "I dunno, Bantha poodoo is pretty genuine. You can only get it form a Bantha. Never heard of fake Bantha shit."

Maul couldn't help but chuckle softly, but through the Jedi's jovial remark, he sensed his pain.

"I sensed it long before I came. As did the Jedi Council."

"Then why come at all?" Maul asked, genuinely surprised.

"I thought perhaps I could convince you and your Master ... But Peace is really the last thing on his mind, isn't it?"

Maul nodded, feeling rather sheepish, again respecting the Jedi before him. "So you would give your life? Even for a slim chance of Peace?"

"Yes, I would ... Perhaps someday it'll come to pass."

Maul considered the Jedi's words.

"I see you didn't travel with your Padawan."

"No sense in risking both our lives."

"Come with me," Maul said.

Qui-Gon followed, not without a touch of nervousness, ready to defend himself if need be.

He realised Maul was leading him to the docking bay.

"You'll have to explain this to your Master..."

The Sith shrugged. "You sensed our deception. You never came."

Qui-Gon wondered if this was for real and gave a thankful smile. Maul realised the Jedi did not want to fight, not from cowardice, but to avoid worsening the hatred between the Jedi and Sith, to spare his children from a rather awkward and unpleasant fate, respecting the Jedi even more than he did a few minutes before and wondered if he had this effect on everyone.

"Maybe you *should* meet my Master," he mused.

Qui-Gon chuckled. "That man makes Hoth look like Tatooine."

Maul grunted and nodded in agreement.

A pause followed.

"Take care of them," the Jedi Master said softly.

The Sith nodded. "Though it is difficult."

"Well I guess trying to raise thee kids while trying to dominate the Universe can be quite a handful."

Maul chuckled softly. "As long as my Master knows nothing of them, they should be safe. I had this station built to withstand just about anything ... and yes, I paid for it legally, Jedi," he hissed.

"I sensed that," Qui-Gon said. "No need to get defensive."

"I couldn't run the risk of drawing attention to myself, should my Master..."

"Chances are," Qui-Gon lowered his voice gravely, "that he already knows."

A shudder ran through the Sith. "I had always dreaded that."

"But all the same, never mention them to him or let him know how difficult it is raising them. Don't even hint at it. Chances are if he does know about them, he doesn't see them as a threat - yet."

Maul nodded, making a mental note of the Jedi's advice, although loathe to.

"Well, Jedi, you best be on your way ... while I ..." he lowered his voice, "clean up this mess ... and they'll be starving ... and Dasi ... his nappies'll be smelling like old Bantha poodoo..." He thought aloud.

"Uh ... I ..." Qui-Gon started to say, he didn't want Maul to think he was imposing. "After the second wave of the storm was over ... I sensed they were hungry and made them dinner and-"

"Is there anything you can't do?" Maul hissed.

"Kill without remorse, you seem to be a master at that."

Maul grunted.

Qui smiled. "Being Yoda's Padawan it was either learn to cook or starve."

"Well your Master and I have something in common... Though I was sure I left some food in the refrigeration unit."

"Science experiments more like," Qui-Gon said.

Maul wanted to get angry, but the Jedi's friendly tone negated that. "I hadn't realised I was away so long."

"They told me they were quite happy surviving on rock mineral candies and chocolate."

"They forced me to buy that stuff."

"They forced you?"

"They can be *very* persuasive."

Qui-Gon smiled.

A long pause followed.

"Their mother passed two years ago."

The Jedi said nothing, though sensed the sorrow.

"Bishir and Dasi's mother ... Shira's parents were killed on Iridonia."

Qui-Gon looked surprised. "She looks so much like you, apart from the hair."

"It is rare for females of my species to have horns and vice versa."

Qui nodded. "There are a few Zabrak Jedi."

Another pause followed.

"I saw Shira's parents murdered, the sight wasn't pretty. She escaped. She was about four of your years. At first I cared nothing for her sorrow and fear, despite her rare markings. The Pirates attacked me, I killed them and left for my Infiltrator, feeling too invincible to sense her following me and sneak my ship. I sensed her behind me and swiped my sabre, thinking she was a pirate, luckily she's quite short. It impressed me how she showed no fear, only curiosity and wonder. Didn't know what in the Universe to do with her. At the time I planned to drop her off at Babylon 6, for them to find a home for her, but the Force had other plans... An ion storm."

Qui-Gon smiled.

"A nasty one. The girl was absolutely terrified and I wasn't much comfort. Consoling children isn't something my Master taught me."

The Jedi chuckled softly. "I guess not."

"Well to cut an even longer story short, it would be months before I could get to Babylon 6 and by then I'd..."

"Gotten used to her?"

Maul smiled. "Something like that. The first time she called me 'Father' I thought it was a slip, though it surprised me that she accepted me that way."

"Children are surprisingly adaptive, although she'll always love her natural parents, you were there when she needed you, and another thing about children - their love is unconditional."

"I'm still getting used to that," Maul admitted softly.

And after a pause, he continued. "Over time I taught her to speak with her mind. Took some teaching I can tell you. Almost tore my horns out."

Qui-Gon chuckled. Maul continued after a pause. "Bishir and Dasi's mother... another encounter I wans't prepared for. Fuelled my Infiltrator without leaving a penny, the owner wans't impressed. Feisty young woman, Fieria, human. Even when I ignited my lightsaber, she showed no fear, kicked the damned thing out of my hand and kneed me in the balls."

Qui-Gon laughed. "And you fell in love with her."

"Putting it mildly ... She grew terminally ill months before Dasi was born and died a few days after giving birth ... Bishir and Shira helped, she'd lost both her natural parents."

"So have you, so to speak."

"I hardly knew them ... Dasi has the same illness as his mother. Don't bother telling me, I know he's going to die, it's only a matter of time and there is nothing I can do."

"There is."

Maul scowled at the Jedi. "No doctors can help and nor can I, even with the Force."

Qui-Gon shook his head. "That's not what I meant. You can't save his body, but you can save his soul ... When I came here, I sensed incredible despair, pain and longing. At first I thought it was a prisoner, but realised it was Dasi and it wans't because of his nappy rash."

"I'll have to see to that," Maul said quietly.

"It's all right," I changed him."

The Sith had always been terrified as accidentally hurting the fragile baby, the thought of another touching the child was unthinkable, but strangely, he welcomed the Jedi's care.

Qui-Gon smiled. "You can help him by consoling him, don't need to use words, just sense and hold him, he feels alienated... He needs comfort and..."

"And?"

"The L word."

Maul smiled slightly.

"Which you do anyway," Qui-Gon added. "Though you'd rather be run through with a lightsabre than admit it."

Maul looked somewhat surprised.

"If you didn't love them, you wouldn't've burst into the room intent on gutting me, and feasting upon my liver."

Maul looked embarrassed. "You sensed that?"

"Mmm hmm. Miles away, stank like a rotting Bantha carcass in the middle of a Tatooinian Summer."

"You did nothing to suggest -"

"If I showed the slightest fear, you would have thought I was guilty of harming them and I may not have been able to defend myself and you could've harmed your own children in the process."

"My Master is always scalding me for my temper and impatience... Well no doubt they've been playing 'Pirates and Princesses' again..."

Qui-Gon smiled. "They're guilty ..."

"Now I've a million things to do before I have to leave again to report to my master ... Usually this place is in utter chaos whenever I return. They need to be bathed when they wake ... Dishes, rooms, clothes ... and ... I can't believe I just told you that."

Qui-Gon smiled. "Your secret is safe with me ... and I kind of helped take care of all that. The place was in such a mess, I'm surprised they weren't sick ... And you're running short on a few items. I left a list on the kitchen bench."

Maul wanted to be angry, but found he couldn't.

"So you bathed them, cooked for them, stocked up, washed clothes, sheets, etcetera and tidied the entire living section?"

Qui-Gon felt a little uncomfortable.

Maul looked at him. "They need a mother. Want the job?"

The Jedi Master chuckled. "They're lovely, but I'm afraid I can't. Have you thought of hiring someone?"

"I wouldn't trust anyone with them, especially Dasi, he's so fragile even I'm afraid I'll hurt him."

"You're doing fine," Qui-Gon assured. "What about a droid? You can program one to-"

"Tried that. Came home and they were skipping with its wires."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "Hope it wasn't a sentient one."

"Well you seem to have taken care of everything here..."

"Didn't mean to steal your thunder," Qui said.

Maul chuckled. "I'm willing to wager housework wasn't something your bargained for."

"You could say that."

"I still can't believe they helped you clean up ... Tell me your secret."

The Jedi smiled.

They walked past Shira and Bishir's room.

"I see you didn't get them to make their beds."

"Even Jedi Masters have got limits to what they can do."

Maul smiled.

"And I can't see the point, to be honest," Qui-Gon said. "Beds just get messed up again."

"You're a strange one, Jedi."

"Thanks."

"You best be off," Maul said. "Though I'll probably lightsabre myself in the morning."

"I realise this is difficult for you."

"As a rule I despise Jedi, but from what I am told you are a master at breaking rules."

Qui-Gon smiled. "I do try."

"I guess I should thank you for looking after them."

"Not necessary," the Jedi Master said with a smile.

The two began to walk to the hangar.

//Don't you dare hurt him, Daddy, he's a nice Jedi.//

Maul turned around to see a tired looking Shira emerging from the bedroom, rubbing her eyes and he and managed a small smile. As did Qui-Gon.

"I take it she's the only one allowed to boss you around besides your Master?"

The Sith tried to stifle a smile.

Bishir poked his head out and smiled when he saw his father, looking relieved.

"I'd better be getting back to the Temple," Qui said.

//Thanks for taking care of them, Jedi.//

//My pleasure, Sith.//

//I know you're talking with the Force thing...// Shira said. //You aren't going to hurt him are you?//

Qui-Gon stifled a smile.

//No ...// Maul insisted to his daughter. //He's ... he's...//

"Different," Qui-Gon said.

//You don't miss much,// the Sith said to the Jedi.

//Daddy ...// she warned. //I'll never speak to you again if you-//

"I'm not going to..." Maul almost hissed, although he wans't angry.

Shira smiled.

"I can see why you love her," Qui-Gon said with a smile.

The children ran to the Jedi and hugged him goodbye. Maul watched, not knowing wether to laugh, smile or cry. The Universe was indeed a weird place.

Maul looked at his children. //You two, back to bed, now.//

Unenthused groans came from the children. Qui-Gon smiled as he watched them go.

The Sith lead Qui-Gon to his cruiser, the Jedi Master felt confident Maul wouldn't betray his trust, though he never let his guard down.

"Qui-Gon...I guess you don't think I'm much of a fa-"

"I never said that. I realise how hard it is, but remember they love you and need you."

"There's that damned L word again..."

The Jedi Master smiled. "Better get used to it."

"Well you best get back ..."

"Warm regards to your Master."

Maul chucked softly. "He was right about you."

Qui-Gon's curiosity was piqued.

"You are like no other."

"I usually take that as a compliment."

"What should I do, should my Master-"

"Have a bubblebath," Qui-Gon said.

Maul smiled, shook his head and indicated the Jedi's ship. "Get going before I change my mind."

Qui-Gon smiled. "I'm going."

"You're still hoping for Peace, aren't you?"

"Perhaps someday," the Jedi Master said quietly.

Maul said nothing, waiting until Qui-Gon boarded his cruiser and departed, the Sith respecting him more than his own Master.

He set the controls of his station, activating the cloak and propulsion, leaving orbit of the large asteroid, to find another safe haven. Maul returned to the living area, checked on Shira and Bishir, pretending to sleep, he smiled, sensing they would soon.

He passed the living quarters, quite surprised when he actually *saw* the fish in the tank, and was reminded that he was hungry, though he knew the children would never forgive him if he ate Bisl, Hihata, Oselle and Jina ... and so he headed for the kitchen and as he ate some left over Isiri stew, surprised that the vegetarian version tasted even better.

And he decided to take the Jedi's advice ... Well as long as no one ever knew ...

Surprised again that bathing could be so soothing and relaxing, sighing inwardly, content to remain here for hours.

//Maul.//

The Sith sat up with a start. //Master.//

//Have you dispensed with the Jedi?//

//He sensed our deception, Master.//

//That is unfortunate. Have you moved your station?//

//Yes, Master. It shall be hidden beyond the Outer Rim in a matter of hours.//

//Good. You have your brats with you I take it?//

Maul froze. //Yes ... Master ...//

//Thought I didn't know about them?//

Maul fell silent, then spoke on their behalf. //They pose no threat to you, Master, or our Cause.//

//Which is why they still live ... and the reason I have endured their existence. The moment they do pose any threat or become a distraction on your part-//

//You'll kill them,// Maul completed with a swallow.

//No,// Sidious said, //You will.//

//Yes, Master,// Maul said, he knew he couldn't pause, though he did not know if he could do as his Master ordered should it come to that. He shivered, the bath water now colder than the Catacombs of Hoth.

Maul entered Dasi's room, picked up the babe as gently as he could, sensing his despair and loneliness, and tried to do as the Jedi suggested, the baby's distress easing, making it easier for his father, this gentleness feeling strange, but somehow right. He sensed Shira and Bishir had fallen into a deep, dream filled sleep. Sweet Dreams, he mused.

He wondered, his Master who had trained him, whom he had respected and remained fiercely loyal to, this man who he would have given his life for, expected him to murder his own children without a second thought, though a Jedi, his sworn, hated enemy had cared for them as though they were his own and had risked his life to protect the children of a Sith Lord. Maul started to wonder what was so bad about Jedi after all.

Qui-Gon stopped his ship mid-way to Coruscant and placed his hands together, like a matrix.

Dasi had not made it through the night. He sensed pain, though also a release, the child's soul was free, finally free of his pained body, making peace with his tortured soul as he died in his father's arms. Qui-Gon sensed the Sith's pain, though also his acceptance, Maul realised that if Qui-Gon had not come to the station, the baby would have been dead long before he arrived, and his tortured soul would not have found Peace. Qui-Gon and hoped for the best as he continued home.

* * *

"Master..." Obi-Wan greeted. "You were gone so long, I-"

The young Padawan embraced him.

"Have faith in your old Master, Obi-Wan..." Qui-Gon smiled.

"Your mission wasn't a success, was it?"

"It was a trap, actually."

"Well, no offence, Master, but it was expected, The Council wanted to see you immediately upon your return."

"So they can rub it in ... and say 'we told you so Jinn...' I don't think so."

Qui-Gon began on his way to his quarters, his Padawan followed.

"You knew it was a trap, Master, why the disappointment?"

The older Jedi sighed and turned to his apprentice. "I hoped there might be even a little spark of ..." he broke off.

Obi-Wan took his Master's hand. "I'm sorry ... So what did Maulie have to say, besides lies and his lightsaber?"

"Children, actually."

Kenobi frowned. "What?"

"I poodoo you not. Three of them."

"Really? You rescued them, right?"

"No. The were his."

"What?! You *are* poodooing me."

"Have I ever lied to you?"

Obi-Wan stared. "Tell me more."

"You mustn't say anything."

The young Padawan smiled. "I won't ... What did you do?"

Qui-Gon whispered one word beginning with H in his ear.

Obi-Wan hollered.

"Tell anyone and I'll kill you."

Both Jedi smiled, then laughed.

"Right now I'm gonna have a bubblebath," Qui-Gon said. "I haven't had one since ... Force, even I don't know when ..."

"I'm after you!"

Qui-Gon laughed, remembering the joy of a good, fun laugh as he and Obi-Wan entered their quarters.

The Jedi Master relaxed in his bath, playing with the soft white bubbles, and part of him never wanted to leave, smiling, as he remembered what it was like to be a child. The bubbles were snow covered mountains, the shampoo bottle, a ship in peril upon the sea and then it was a submarine ... He was the Sea God that rescued them. The handsome merman submerged beneath the water, his golden hair free in the warm Oceans of Oceania, though not without a sad smile.

Someday, he knew his people would live in Peace and Harmony.

 

 

*

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Qui~Gon Page