Disclaimers: Saint George (Lucasfilm) crated the Star Wars Universe.  Lucasfilm owned by Disney. George Lucas created the Star Wars Universe. Movies by 20th Century Fox/Disney. I make no Republic Datari {Credits}, Peggats, Truguts, Wupiupi, etc from my fanfic/fanart/fanfunnies.  Story written purely for enjoyment and the only profit I make is the happiness my writing brings.   The Force is With You Always :)

 

Summary:  Qui-Gon is banished from the Jedi Temple.

Author's Notes: This story takes place about 20 years before  Episode I {but is also kind of AU}, although the Jedi Council members are as they appeared in Episode I, Obi-Wan is a very young child.

Enjoy ~ Rating PG

 

~~~~~~~~~~~  

TWELVE DAYS OF SOLSTICE

 

It couldn't be permanent, Obi-Wan thought, could it?  He was upset, but hardly surprised, knowing that it may well happen someday - and it had.  Qui-Gon Jinn had not only been banished from the Temple, but from Coruscant altogether.  Obi-Wan knew his Master had his reasons for what he had done, but as far as the Council were concerned, the ends didn't justify the means and it was his third offence this month.  Obi-Wan had done his best to save his Master's status.   Qui-Gon had stolen the money from Grega the Hutt to donate to a struggling orphanage on Dantooine, run by the caring Mistress Nagrina.  Master Windu argued that the punishment was light compared to what Grega would have done if he found out - and Master Yoda argued it would have deepened the mistrust between the Jedi and the Hutts.  That and Qui-Gon's previous outright refusal to take his Padawan on a mission to Hoth.  He had argued that the boy wasn't accustomed to the extreme cold and needless to say, Obi-Wan was quite relieved, but his Master had defied the Council yet again, that and Qui-Gon had perviously released a thief who broke into the Temple, almost making off with a large sum of credits - that and the fact Qui-Gon had actually given the boy half of the credits.  The gentle Jedi Master had pointed out that the boy and his family were starving and the youth had felt terrible about what he had done.

 

Obi-Wan had watched as his Master shifted uncomfortably on the Council floor and truly felt for him.

 

                *  *  *

 

Qui-Gon thanked him for his support, even though his young Padawan had disagreed with his actions, though admired his Master's motives.

  "It was for a good cause, Master, but you took an awful risk."

Qui-Gon had nodded. "At least the money got to the orphanage... That's the main thing."

  "Master..." Obi-Wan's voice was a little more urgent.

  "Don't worry, I covered my tracks."

  "So well that Master Windu found out."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "He has a knack for that ... And he sensed my thoughts."

  "Master, with all due respect, I don't think you realise how serious this is... They've banished you ... And..."

Obi-Wan was almost in tears.  Qui-Gon knelt down to him with a warm smile.  "It'll be all right, I promise."

  "Where will you go?"

  "Alderaan, South Province.  It's lovely this time of year, and I could do with a vacation ..."

Obi-Wan couldn't hold back a smile, though Qui-Gon sensed his inner turmoil.  The youth was upset with him ... not for what he did, but for being caught ... He felt forsaken and scared.

  "You'll be fine, Padawan."

  "You know I'm not officially your Padawan anymore..."

  "We'll see about that."

Obi-Wan managed another smile. "Take care, Master."

  "I will, I promise."

  "Don't steal from any more Hutts and don't stay too long in that Southern sun."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Yes, Master."

Obi-Wan giggled.  "I'm gonna miss you."

Jedi heads turned when they sensed Ki-Adi Mundi and Master Windu coming to them.

  "You seem a little surprised I caught onto you," Mace said.

  "Only that it took you so long.  I've been doing it for years."

Obi-Wan almost gasped while Mace stared.  Qui-Gon only smiled.

  "You're leaving now?" Mace asked.

Qui-Gon nodded.  "I've packed a few things and have a transport waiting."

  "I'm going to miss you, Master," Obi-Wan said.

  "Master Jinn is no longer your Master, Padawan Kenobi," Mace admonished, voice stern.

  "I ... I'm sorry," Obi-Wan stammered, looking up at Mace Windu. "I meant no disrespect... Master."

Qui-Gon flinched inwardly, although he sensed it was just as hard for Obi-Wan to say.

Obi-Wan turned back to his former Master.  "I'll miss you, Master Qui-Gon."

  "And I you, Obi-Wan."

  "You both realise any form of contact is strictly forbidden until - if and when you're reinstated," he said to Qui-Gon.

  "Can I at least send a post holo?"

Obi-Wan tried not to smile.

Mace shook his head.  "I'm afraid not."

Qui-Gon knelt down to Obi-Wan with a warm smile. "It'll be all right, I promise ... Padawan," he added, barely audible.

Obi-Wan smiled, doing his best to shield his thoughts from Mace Windu and Ki-Adi Mundi.

//Take care of yourself, Master.//

Qui-Gon smiled warmly.  "Don't let Mace boss you around."

Obi-Wan stifled a gasp and a smile.  Mace didn't know wether to smile or give Qui-Gon a look, so he did both and shook his head as Qui-Gon left. 

 

Master Windu sensed the young Padawan's animosity toward him, and understood, but was impressed when he sensed how Obi-Wan tried to release it, let is anger and hurt go, holding no resentments and grudges.  Just like Master Qui-Gon had taught him, he mused.

Obi-Wan couldn't hold back a tear as Qui-Gon left, for how long, only time could tell.

  "I couldn't let him go without saying goodbye ..."

Ki-Adi gave Obi-Wan a gentle, understanding smile and placed his hand on the young Padawan's back.  "We're all going to miss him ... Despite our differences ..."

  "Come, Obi-Wan," Master Windu said.  "You're late for training."

  "Yes ... Master..."

 

Obi-Wan tried to ask the Force how long his Master would be banished for, but the message was elusive and told him he'd know when the time was right.

 

                *  *  *

 

Obi-Wan was returning to the Temple, with a group of young Padawans, when something in a shop window caught his attention.  Quietly, he left the creche to investigate further.  As he came closer, the more wonderful it looked.

Now right at the window, he looked up at what had drawn him here.

//It's beautiful...It's *perfect...*//

And the price tag wasn't too hideous either, but Padawan's didn't earn credits - they had no need for them - most of the time.  Obi-Wan had a few, but he needed seventy-six more.  He could hardly ask Master Windu.  Even after five months, Obi-Wan still couldn't bring himself to think of him as his Master.  In his heart, his Master would always be Qui-Gon, even if he never returned, but Obi-Wan knew he had to.  The Jedi Council couldn't kick him out forever, could they?

 

He looked up again at the item in the shop window and wanted more than anything to buy it for his Master ... Qui-Gon.

  "Can I help you?"

Obi-Wan jumped, then felt angry with himself for not sensing the presence of another, being so caught up in his own thoughts.  Qui-Gon had taught him to always be aware.  The dark skinned shopkeeper smiled and pointed to the garment.

  "I just finished that last night."

  "It's lovely."

  "It's a bit big for you."

Obi-Wan smiled.  "It's not for me, it's for my Master."

  "You're a Jedi ... Yes, I see your braid now."

  "Well I'm not quite a Jedi yet."

The shopkeeper smiled.  "I'm certain you will be."

Obi-Wan smiled back at the middle-aged man.  "I'm afraid ... I don't have enough money for it."

  "How much do you have, Little One?"

Obi-Wan smiled.  Up until now Qui-Gon was the only one he allowed to call him that.   "Nine credits ..." he replied.  "I know it's not nearly enough."

  "You could place it on lay-buy."

  "Thank you, but I'm not sure when I'll get any more credits. These were given to me, left over from an excursion with my fellow Padawans to Coruscant Art Gallery ... Another excursion won't be scheduled for a few months, as we're busy training."

  "I see ... Tell you what, are you able to leave the Temple?"

Obi-Wan nodded.  "In our free time."

  "How 'bouts you come by and help me in the shop, say one day a week for a few weeks and earn your prize?"

  "Could I?"

The shopkeeper smiled.  "Sure.  I could use a hand, especially now that Solstice is coming up.  It's a present for your Master, right?"

Obi-Wan smiled.  "You must have the Force."

The other smiled again.  "By the way, name's Andeas Calrissian."

  "Obi-Wan Kenobi."

The two shook hands.  "Thank you for the opportunity."

  "A pleasure, Little One."

Obi-Wan smiled.  "My Master used to call me that."

  "He doesn't anymore?"

  "Well ... it's complicated ... My real Master was banished, temporarily, I hope ... He defied the Council, for good causes, mind you, helping a starving thief, helping struggling orphans... but for the latter, he stole money from a Hutt."

  "Mmm, dangerous ..."

Obi-Wan nodded.

  "I admire your trust, young Obi-Wan Kenobi."

The youth smiled.  "The Force is an excellent judge of character, Mister Calrissian."

  "Please, just Andeas."

Obi-Wan Smiled.  "My ... former Master ... He's always putting others before himself."

  "And you want to give him something special, because he never spoils himself."

Obi-Wan gave a broad smile.  "Exactly."

  "I'm honoured that you chose my shop."

  "The Force lead me here."

Andeas smiled.  "I'm sure it did."

  "I'd better get back.  They'll be wondering where I've gotten to."

  "Will your current Master allow you to help me out?"

  "He's a lot stricter, but I'll tell him that I'm getting experience and that's true.  One never knows what a skills Jedi may need.  My Master ... my other Master always said one can never learn too much."

Andeas smiled.  "I can see why he's a Jedi Master."

Obi-Wan smiled back at him and turned to leave.

  "I'm curious about just one thing, Obi-Wan..."

The young Padawan turned around.

  "Why didn't you just wave your hand and make me give you the garment?"

Obi-Wan smiled and shook his head.  "Because that wouldn't be

proper.  I couldn't give my Master something I stole.  I'd feel bad every time he wore it ... and he'd sense my guilt."

Andeas smiled. "You'll definitely become a Jedi, Little One."

The young Padawan smiled back at him and left for the Temple, and told the others he'd been exploring.

 

Obi-Wan was exceedingly grateful when Master Windu was agreeable to his helping out one day a week in Andeas Calrissian's shop.  He was right, it was experience.  Mace knew the man by reputation only, honest, humble, and a damn good tailor.  Many a Jedi robe had been sewn and repaired by this man.  Windu suspected that there was a little more to Obi-Wan helping in the shop than his Padawan let on, but he sensed nothing harmful or deceitful and decided to let it pass.  He may be the boy's Master, but like everyone, a Padawan needed privacy.  He never shared all his thoughts with his Master and felt he may have been a little too strict with Obi-Wan, who had become accustomed to Qui-Gon's gentleness.

 

Andeas' shop stocked clothing for all walks of life forms. Obi-Wan enjoyed working for him and learnt many things about the upkeep of a shop, how to deal with all types of customers, even sold a dinner jacket with a bow tie to a Grega the Hutt - it was an effort to keep a straight face.  Andeas had rescued Obi-Wan by telling the Hutt he looked quite fetching in the jacket, as Jedi weren't supposed to lie, unless they really needed to.

 

Obi-Wan learned to sew and made himself a new cloak - he'd almost outgrown his current one, and to honor Qui-Gon, with a smile, he sent it to the orphanage on Dantooine.

 

Andeas had also taught him that no matter how bad things may seem, they can only get better.  Obi-Wan realised he and his Master's bond could never be broken, no matter how far away he was and Andeas had also taught him to lighten a serious situation with laughter, a warm bath and chocolate.

 

                *  *  *

 

When Obi-Wan returned to the Temple one day after finishing up in Andeas shop, he was intrigued to learn he had been sent a small package from Yavin IV.  It maintained to contain study material he'd asked for.   Confused at first as he'd asked for no such thing, curiously he opened it in his quarters, without suspicions, as he sensed nothing amiss.  He took out a small holo projector and turned it on.  It showed various beautiful natural scenes ... Uncrowded beaches, awesome rock formations, luscious forests, unspoiled mountains, spectacular waterfalls with rainbows in their mist... and a short programmed message in lovely script.  'Natural Beauty Abounds ... Alderaan.' 

Obi-Wan's eyes widened as he read the encoded personal message.  'Missing you, terribly, despite the lovely scenery.  Take care, OWK, all my love QGJ.'

Obi-Wan stared in wonder, his mouth open, then he smiled warmly.  His Master had actually done it.  Sent him a holo postcard from Alderaan ... He sensed, paid a smuggler to send it from the fourth moon of Yavin...

  "I miss you too, Master ... and I love you."

He hid the holo deep in a his furthest tucked away drawer and blocked all thoughts about it.

 

                *  *  *

 

Obi-Wan finished training, gathered his small bag and headed to Andeas' shop.  The young Jedi apologised to Andeas for being so late, although the man wasn't angry.

  "I got you something," Obi-Wan said, fishing into his bag, drawing out a crystal.

  "Thank you, Little One.  You didn't have to."

Obi-Wan smiled.  "It's my pleasure.  I wanted to."

The dark skinned man opened his gift and smiled.  "It's lovely, thank you, Obi-Wan.  This shall be my good luck crystal."

The young Jedi smiled.

Andeas displayed sparkling yellow rock on his counter.

 

                *  *  *

 

Within six weeks, of working in Andeas' shop Obi-Wan Kenobi had earned his prize, though he still liked to help Andeas, although his visits were becoming less frequent as his training was taking up most of his time.

 

                *  *  *

 

Obi-Wan's heart leapt into his throat when he heard the Council members discussing Qui-Gon's possible return at one dinner setting.  It had been seven months since he had left for Alderaan.  Obi-Wan listened in, discreetly ...

They had decided to reinstate him ... if ...

Kenobi's heart sank into his stomach. 

//*Please* choose some other way ...// he thought, but the Council had made up their minds.

Prepare a traditional Solstice dinner?  Qui-Gon couldn't do that.  Not in a million Solstices.  Not that he was a bad cook - quite the contrary - One of the many things Obi-Wan missed.  He was heartened to know that Qui-Gon would be returning for Solstice.  It would be his first Solstice with the Jedi Master, and he had looked forward to it.

But a traditional Solstice Dinner?  Gods.

//Force help him.//

 

                *  *  *

 

Qui-Gon had barely arrived home when Obi-Wan was almost leaping onto him.  Although he didn't show just how touched he was, Obi-Wan sensed it.  "Master ... I've missed you soooooo much!"

  "Obi-Wan ... you're crushing me..."

The young Padawan let go with a sheepish grin.  "Sorry, Master."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "You know I'm not really your Master."

Obi-Wan nodded, mock seriously.  "Right ... Sorry, Master Jinn."

  "Padawan Kenobi."

They both smiled.

  "It's grown," Qui-Gon said with a smile.

  "What has?"

Qui-Gon gently flapped Obi-Wan's braid.

The young Padawan beamed.  "You think so? ... I hadn't noticed."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "I missed you too, My Padawan ... I sensed your sadness, though my banishment forbade contact."

  "I know, Master.  Those waterfalls looked beautiful.  Thanks for the holo."

  "Holo?  What holo?"  Qui-Gon looked incredibly innocent.

Obi-Wan smiled broadly.  "It must have been from someone else..." I'm glad you're back.  I have something for you."  Obi-Wan gave his Master a shimmering purple crystal.

  "Thank you, it's lovely."

  "It's from Iego," Obi-Wan said.  "I got it at a crystal shop near Andeas' ... Oh ... I've been helping him in his clothing emporium," Obi-Wan explained.

Qui-Gon smiled.  "You have been busy, Little One."

Obi-Wan smiled back as he gave his Master the crystal, then his brow furrowed a notch.  "Master, your hands are so chafed..."

Qui-Gon smiled and set the crystal down near his flowering cactus.  "Well, I climbed a few trees.  I just couldn't resist, it's been so long, though I wish you had been there."

Obi-Wan chuckled, seeing his Master scrambling up a tree just for the fun of it, but he sensed there was more.

  "I wish I had been there ... But Tree climbing did that? ... It looks like cold chafing.  I thought you went to Alderaan, not Hoth."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "I spent some time in the North Province. Alderaan is beautiful in Winter too."

  "You never sent me a holo."  Obi-Wan smiled.

Qui-Gon smiled back and chuckled.  "I'm glad to be back.  How was Master Windu?"

  "He's well versed in the ways of the Force ... But I miss your cooking."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Is that all you miss?"

  "Of course not."  Obi-Wan smiled too.

  "Speaking of cooking, looks like I'm gonna have my hands full."

  "Master, are you sure ..."

  "One traditional Solstice Dinner.  No problem."

  "Master, a traditional Solstice dinner consists of a roast-"

  "I'm well aware of that, Obi-Wan."

  "Oh ..."

  "I took the liberty and obtained some of the ingredients before I returned."

Qui-Gon pulled out the biggest basket Obi-Wan had ever seen. The young Padawan stared into it and gaped.    Qui-Gon smiled and handed him one of the extremely rare chocolates.

 

A face appeared at the door.

  "Glad to see you're settling in, Master Qui-Gon."

  "Master Windu."

  "I see you already have a visitor," he said, looking down at Obi-Wan, the young Padawan's lips slightly brown from the mercilessly devoured confectionery.

Obi-Wan knew Qui-Gon was never one to hold a grudge, but still it surprised and impressed him when Qui-Gon felt no animosity to his visitor.

  "It's like I never left."

Mace smiled.  "You have to do better than that if you're gonna lie to me, Jinn."

Qui-Gon smiled back at the darker skinned Jedi.  He had ached to return ever since he left, despite his relaxing time on scenic Alderaan.

  "I'm looking forward to your Solstice dinner."  Windu turned to leave.

  "As am I," Qui-Gon said, ignoring Mace's tone.  "Oh, and thanks for pre-ordering the main course for me to prepare."

  "My pleasure."

 

Qui-Gon waited until Mace had left before turning taking a tiny spotted furry bundle of out of a small box.

Obi-Wan's heart melted completely as he took it from his Master's hands.

  "Ohh, he's *adorable* Master..." Gently, he stroked the feline's fluffy, smooth fur.  The cub mewed.  "Let me guess, he followed you home, right?"

Qui-Gon smiled and chuckled softly.  "It's a she, actually."

  "What is she, Master?  She's so beautiful."  Obi-Wan kissed the creatures wet black nose.

  "That, Obi-Wan, is our Solstice dinner."

Obi-Wan chuckled and continued to stroke the soft furball.

  "I'm quite serious, Obi-Wan, that's a cheetara."

The young Padawan looked up at him.  "What?..."

  "Her mother is in there..."

Qui-Gon pointed to the spare room.  Obi-Wan sensed an adult feline presence as Qui-Gon opened the door.  The young Padawan looked uneasy.

  "Don't worry," he said.  "She's quite harmless.  She's more afraid of us."

  "Ohh, Master, I'm so sorry ... I don't know why they asked you to do this..."

  "It's a test, Obi-Wan."

  "I know ... But could they have at least chosen something easier?"

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Tests aren't meant to be easy."

  "But this ... they don't need you to kill that creature ... At least they could have got one that was already dead ... And we have plenty of food without having to-"

  "Of course they don't need me to, and I can't say I agree with them, but don't worry."  Gently, he took the cub from Obi-Wan.  "She's perfectly safe and I'll send her back to  Africana."

  "At least her child will be safe."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "You honestly don't think I'm gonna send a child alone into the wilderness without her mother, do you?"

  "Master ..."

Qui-Gon smiled.

  "Ohh, Master ... As much as I don't want you to kill this creature," Obi-Wan gestured sadly to the adult cheetara, "if you don't, you won't be allowed back into the Jedi Order..."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "What were my exact orders?"

  "To prepare a traditional Solstice dinner."

  "And that's exactly what I'm doing."

  "But -"

Qui-Gon smiled again.  "Before you say any more, I want you to go to my room and read this book, Padawan.  It's short, so it won't take long."

Qui-Gon handed him an ancient tree-leather bound book entitled 'On Solstice Night.'  "It's been in my family for many generations."

  "It's lovely, Master," Obi-Wan ran his hand over the smooth cover.  "I've never seen an antique book before."

Qui-Gon smiled and patted him.  "Enjoy."

  "I will."

Before Obi-Wan entered, he watched Qui-Gon enter his old bedroom.  The mother cheetara approached him as he knelt down, holding her child in his gentle hands.  The larger feline rubbed her head against his hand as Qui-Gon stroked her softly, then tickled her chin.  The cheetara stretched her neck out and purred loudly.

A tear rolled down Obi-Wan's cheek.  What in the name of the Force was his Master going to do?

 

                *  *  *

 

  "I finished the book, Master," Obi-Wan said, with a broad smile.  "It's a touching story ... and I'm ready to help you with that traditional Solstice dinner."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Great! ... But you have to get permission from your other Master, My Padawan."

Obi-Wan chuckled at Qui-Gon's words.  Even after seven months, he still hadn't thought of anyone else as his Master, nor he was happy to sense had Qui-Gon ever thought of him as his former Padawan.

 

                *  *  *

 

  "You wish to assist Master Qui-Gon in preparing the traditional Solstice dinner?"

  "Yes, please Master," Obi-Wan said.  "Though it will require twelve days straight from today.  I realise it's a lot to ask, but I promise, I'll double my training after the Solstice Celebration.  I really would like to help him, Master."

Mace saw the seriousness in his young Padawan's eyes, though he sensed the child was practically on his knees, begging and pleading.

  "On two conditions."

Obi-Wan nodded, grateful.  "Yes, Master?"

  "One, you double your training efforts as promised and two, you make *sure* Master Qui-Gon makes a *traditional* Solstice dinner.  No exceptions."

  "Yes, Master.  Done."

  "Traditional now."

  "Very."

  "Be strict with him."

  "Absolutely."

Mace tried unsuccessfully to stifle a smile.  "Go on..."

  "Thank you, Master," Obi-Wan said, sincere.

Mace smiled as his Padawan hurried happily to Qui-Gon's quarters, though it saddened him that Obi-Wan had never felt such joy around him, though Qui-Gon seemed to bring it wherever he went.  Perhaps he could ask Qui-Gon just how he does that someday.

 

Obi-Wan returned triumphantly to Qui-Gon's quarters.

  "You see, Mace isn't such a bad guy."

Obi-Wan smiled.  "I guess not, Master."

  "Just don't let anyone else hear you call me that."

Obi-Wan nodded.  "At least not until you're reinstated, Master Qui-Gon."

The older man smiled.

 

And thus began the traditional twelve day preparation of the Solstice feast.

 

Obi-Wan helped soak the sugar root and smiled.  "We learn a lot from our history don't we, Master?"

  "I couldn't've said it better myself."  Qui-Gon had rolled up his sleeves to avoid getting them wet.

  "People want things too quickly nowadays to appreciate the older style."

Qui-Gon nodded.  "Which is why history should never be forgotten.  Progress may be necessary, but it isn't the answer to salvation and to understand the present, one must understand the past."

Obi-Wan placed the roots in the Naboo spring water.  "They soak for twelve days and nights, right?"

Qui-Gon nodded.  "Exactly twelve - less and they're bitter and tough, more, they're gluggy and messy."

Qui-Gon handed Obi-Wan a some of an enormous platter of fresh, sliced meats.

  "Mace took the liberty of ordering this before hand..."

  "What are you going to do with it?"

  "Feed our guests.  Felines don't have the luxury of being able to choose to be vegetarians."

Obi-Wan smiled and took the meat to the cheetara.

Her cub had just finished sucking on her teats when he entered.  Curious, the mother approached him and sniffed, then placed her paws on top of the young Jedi, knocking him over, then leapt onto him, toyed with his braid, then licked his face, purring.  Obi-Wan smiled and stroked her.  He hadn't been afraid - he sensed no anger from her, only curiosity and friendship.  How anyone could eat these beautiful creatures was beyond him.  The larger cheetara rubbed against him and then sniffed at the meat and began to eat as Obi-Wan returned to Qui-Gon.

  "They really are lovely creatures, Master."

Qui-Gon nodded.  "I'll send them back after Solstice.  The mother's name is Amba, and she named her child Shahala."

Obi-Wan smiled.  "I wish I could talk to animals the way you do."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Fortunately Mace ordered far too much cold meats, and so there's enough for Amba and Shahala isn't yet on solids, and they can run around in my garden, not much of a substitute for an entire moon, but it'll have to do for now."

 

                *  *  *

 

Obi-Wan enjoyed shopping with Qui-Gon, something they didn't get to do very often, even before his Master was banished.

 

The two Jedi explored the Annual Solstice Markets, lining the streets of Coruscant.  Obi-Wan had always loved to browse, even if he never bought a thing.  Qui-Gon had given him some credits and a list, although the twinkle in his eye said that he didn't mind if Obi-Wan bought something special for himself.

 

The Jedi browsed the fruit and vegetable stalls, purchasing all types of weird and wonderful things, adding them to their large motorised cart, four of which had already been sent back to the Jedi Temple.  Qui-Gon stopped at a beverage stall and asked for a specific concoction, to which the stall minder's eyebrows shot into the cloud cars.

  "Never thought I'd hear a Jedi ask for one of those."

The corner of Qui-Gon's mouth turned up slightly.  "It's traditional," and he added the bottle to the cart.

 

Obi-Wan eagerly took his Master to Andeas' shop.

  "Hello, Little One!"

Qui-Gon smiled.  "You let him call you that?"

Obi-Wan chucked slightly.  "Yeah ... Only you two though."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "My Padawan tells me you've been teaching him to sew."

Calrissian nodded.  "And he's a fine little helper."

  "I'm sorry I haven't been by your shop in so long..."

The older man smiled.  "It's all right, Little One.  You have your Jedi training and a needle by your side is no substitute for a lightsabre."

Both Jedi smiled.  Obi-Wan went to look in some baskets for a band for his braid at the side of the shop.  Andeas had just got some new ones in the previous day.

  "Thanks for looking after him," Qui-Gon said with a smile.

  "My pleasure, Master Qui-Gon ... Your Padawan's told me a so much about you, although technically he's not your Padawan, yet, right?"

Qui-Gon smiled.  "You seem to have a way with Jedi."

  "I was a healer at the Temple in my younger days, but as it turned out I was better with needle thread, so I tailored Jedi robes."

  "And very well I might add."

  "Thanks.  I do my best."

  "Do you sell hair ties?" Qui-Gon asked.

  "I certainly do."  Andeas brought out a basket of all sorts and styles.

  "All hand made, by yours truly, Endorian Greenwood tree leather."

  "Nice ... " Qui-Gon said, impressed as he looked through them, "you don't often find such workmanship."

Andeas beamed.  "They pass the time and they're quite fun to make."

Qui-Gon smiled as he picked out a rich chocolate brown one, with an intricate cris-cross pattern.

  "I found a really nice one for my braid, Master," Obi-Wan said, coming to him, with a small bright yellow band.

  "I found one too." He showed Obi-Wan his prize.  "My old one's falling apart.  Must be that Southern Alderaanian sun."

Obi-Wan smiled.  Qui-Gon placed both hair bands on the front counter and pulled out a credit pad.

  "For Jedi everything is free today."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Bollocks."  He handed Andeas the pad, with quite a bit extra.

Andeas shook his head.  "I couldn't, Master Jedi."

  "Take it," Obi-Wan said, mock seriously.  "He won't leave until you do."

Qui-Gon chuckled.

  "Thank you, Master Qui-Gon.  Solstice business has been rather slow this year."

Qui-Gon smiled and waved his across the door.  "Not for long."

  "Obi-Wan's right.  You are a wizard."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "I don't know about that."

  "Sure you are."

  "Thank you."  Qui-Gon smiled as he knelt down with the yellow band, and braided Obi-Wan's wayward plait, then tied the yellow band, leaving a little hair free.

Andeas was honoured to witness such a touching display between Master and Padawan.

Qui-Gon pulled out his old hair tie and threw it into the bin with precision, shook his hair free, and an instant the new one was in place.

Andeas smiled.  "You could have been a hairdresser."

Qui-Gon smiled back at him.  "We'd better be off.  We haven't got half the things on our shopping list."

Andeas chuckled.  "I know that feeling.  May The Force Be With You."

Qui-Gon gave a small bow.  "And also with you."

The two Jedi left, just as a dark skinned woman entered the shop.

Qui-Gon looked back at her.  "She's his wife."

Obi-Wan's brow furrowed.  "He never told me he was married."

  "He isn't - yet."

Obi-Wan turned and stared in awe.  "Should we tell him?"

Qui-Gon smiled.  "No, he has to discover for himself."

Obi-Wan smiled warmly as he saw the woman pick out a bright yellow dress and take it to the change room.

 

Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan continued their shopping.  Many delicious berries were in season this time of year, as were loquats, cherries, lychees, pomegranates and nectarines, among Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's favorites and many different coloured vegetables for various salads and platters and chocolates from the dainty chocolatier.   Obi-Wan bought some ingredients for a dessert recipe he's found in an old Jedi recipe book, which he'd been dying to try out.  Qui-Gon didn't ask what it was, sensing Obi-Wan wanted it to be a surprise, as his Master headed to the copy shop, and picked up his fourteen hand written, traditional Solstice scrolls, bound with multicolored ribbons of tree silk and golden sealing wax.

  "Thank you," he said, looking at one, the exquisite calligraphy, on old style calico paper, outlined with gold, and various bright greens, blues yellows and purples. "They're beautiful."

The old calligrapher looked up at Qui-Gon and smiled.  "I don't get much call for this sort of thing now a days, sad really."

Qui-Gon gave an understanding smile as the older man sealed the last one.

  "It's quite a buzz when someone as young as yourself appreciates the ways of old."

Qui-Gon smiled again.  It had been a while since he'd been called young.  "What makes you think you're old?" he asked.

  "I can see why you're a Jedi Master."

The younger man smiled.

 

The last thing on the list being the beverages, various fresh river, creek and lake waters, for traditional Solstice water came from the rivers, lakes and creeks, and of course, ingredients for the very traditional Solstice fruit punch, although in those days it was called a fruit medley.

 

  "Here, Master, I got you this," Obi-Wan said. giving his Master a largish glass bottle, containing some light pink lotion.  "For your hands, they look like they need some."

  "Thank you, Padawan."  Qui-Gon said, touched.

Obi-Wan gave some to his Master, who rubbed the lotion into his hands.  "Feels good.  I often deny myself such luxuries."

  "I know," Obi-Wan said with a smile.  "You really need to spoil yourself more often."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Yes, Master."

Obi-Wan smiled.  "I can't wait to get started, Master," the young Padawan said, unable to keep the excitement out of his voice.

  "Nor can I," his Master said with a smile.  

  "I can't remember the last time I had so much fun ... apart

from that day about year ago we went swimming in the Orlia River on Alderaan, when you took that detour, despite being late for the Council meeting."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Seems like ages ago now ... I went by the Orlia, but it didn't quite seem the same."

  "I'd like to go again, Master."

  "As would I, Obi-Wan."

  "Master, promise me one thing."

  "What's that?"

  "I know you don't usually eat much, but promise me you'll indulge - just this once.  You deserve to.  It won't hurt anyone... It's not selfish to take something for yourself every once in a while."  He took his Master's hand. 

Qui-Gon smiled.  "All right, Little One, I promise."

Obi-Wan smiled back at his Master.

  "Solstice shirts ... Get your Solstice shirts..."

Qui-Gon turned to a salesman to whom he politely declined.

  "You'll never see 'em again!"

  "That's what they said last year."

Obi-Wan smirked.

  "I'll give you a good deal."

  "No thank you."

  "Buy one, get one for your child free."

Qui-Gon turned to the man and waved his hand in front of his face.  "Please go away.  We do not need your shirts."

  "You do not need my shirts." The salesman turned and left.

Obi-Wan had to smile at how his Master could make such a blunt statement sound polite. 

  "I really dislike the commercial side to Solstice," Qui-Gon said.

Obi-Wan nodded.  "Agreed, Master."

Qui-Gon smiled at him as they resumed their journey back toward the Temple.

 

When inside Qui-Gon's quarters, Obi-Wan excitedly began to unpack the spoils of the day.  Qui-Gon smiled warmly at the younger Jedi's excitement and couldn't help but share it.  It had been many years since he had really enjoyed Solstice and it was Obi-Wan's excited, vibrant youth that brought back the spirit and joy for him.

 

He and Obi-Wan prepared dishes from various galaxies and had fun decorating Qui-Gon's meditating room to look like a cottage of old.  Qui-Gon had commandeered the Council's large discussion table, which the two began to set, old style wooden plates, bowls, goblets and rugged cut cutlery, and a Solstice scroll by every plate, all set on a natural, rough woven cloth.

 

Qui-Gon had brought home some wood for a small bonfire in his garden.

  "Master ... Aren't we overdoing this?"

  "They want traditional, traditional they'll get."

The younger Jedi smiled.  "It's gonna be so much fun..."

  "I certainly hope so." Qui-Gon smiled.

 

Although Obi-Wan wasn't as great a chef as his Master, he took great care in helping to prepare the various foods, dishes and salads.  When Qui-Gon had gone to the markets once again to top up on some ingredients, Obi-Wan began his surprise recipe, gathering all the ingredients and timing it to have it finished by the time Qui-Gon returned.

 

Obi-Wan covered his masterpieces with foil and placed them right at the back of the refrigeration unit, for Solstice night.

 

                *  *  *

 

Solstice Night ...

 

Dressed in a loose fitting pastel green tunic, Qui-Gon Jinn invited his guests inside and smiled at their authentic outfits, as they'd been told, to come dressed as farmers and simple folk, although the ladies were allowed to tizz themselves up a little.

  "A little different," Mace said.  "To have the dinner on Solstice Night."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "You wanted traditional."

Obi-Wan smiled also as he finished administering the final touches to the table and surrounding decorations.  The place really did look authentic.  Qui-Gon had even managed to find a real sprig of mistletoe.

  "You'll find a traditional Solstice scroll on each of your settings," Qui-Gon said.  "However, don't open it until the main course is served."

 

                *  *  *

 

  "This sugar root is delicious," Plo Koon said, impressed.  "Where did you purchase it?"

  "We prepared it ourselves," Obi-Wan, said, proudly, nibbling his piece of the crisp, but soft sweet root.

The guests looked impressed, apart from Eeth Koth, who's stomach wasn't compatible with sugar root, although Qui-Gon had substituted a piece of sugar cane, which he was enjoying immensely.

 

                *  *  *

 

Obi-Wan helped Qui-Gon bring out more salads and plates of lightly steamed, spiced vegetables, with exotic vegetable crisps, which Qui-Gon had taken extra care with, the dishes compatible with everyone.

  "Smells lovely," Saesee Tiin said.

  "Glad you think so," Qui-Gon smiled.

  "I really didn't think you'd go this far," Mace said.

  "Well I was told traditional and I didn't want to skimp."

Obi-Wan smiled at how his Master could seem so casual about something so serious.  They just had to reinstate him.  There was no Jedi - no person he respected more, Qui-Gon's compassion never ceasing to amaze and warm him.

 

Qui-Gon began scooping fruit medley into the glasses.

Mace looked at his plate of steamed vegetables and the many bowls of weird and wonderful salads on the table.

  "If you keep feeding us at this rate we won't have room for the main course, let alone dessert," he said.

  "Oh" Qui-Gon said, "this is the main course."

Silence fell at the table.

  "Qui-" Mace started.

  "If you'll all please now open your Solstice Scrolls..."

Obi-Wan smiled as the dinner guests did as asked and began to open and read the Ancient Jedi script.

 

 

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

                        Traditional Solstice Proverb

 

 

                        Let no creature be slaughtered this night

                        For tonight we celebrate the miracle of life

                        Fresh foods and waters we bring

                        From lands near and afar

                        We love and play under our Guiding Star

                        Twelve days we prepare a joyous feast for all

                        All who hear our loving call

                        All the people of all the lands, welcome

 

                        Darkness falls on Solstice Night

                        All our troubles we ask to take flight

                        Darkness filled with love and light

                        For tonight we celebrate the miracle of life

 

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

The Council smiled and shook their heads.  Jinn had done it once again.

  "Solstice began over ten thousand years ago," Qui-Gon explained, "and as you've read to celebrate the miracle of life and so, traditionally no meat is eaten on Solstice, even the energies of the fruits, vegetables and nuts were celebrated.  The 'tradition' of roasted cheetara and other animals was in fact brought in around two thousand years ago, by the Hutts, as a method of making money selling what they considered to be worthless creatures, whom at that time roamed the galaxy in abundance." Although Qui-Gon's voice, was neutral, one could tell how distasteful he found that.  "Now however, as a result many of the species have become endangered, some even extinct."

The Jedi Council listed in silence.

  "So what did you do with the cold meat platter?" Mace asked.

  "I put it to good use."

  "Shit, Jinn, you didn't bury it did you?  Do you know how much that cost!?"

Both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan smiled. 

  "I fed it to our guests."  Qui-Gon used the force to open the door to Obi-Wan's room.

A spotty fuzzy cub peeked out playfully, then her mother came into view.

Instinctively the Jedi guests' eyes widened.

Qui-Gon knelt down as the Amba came to him and stroked her gently, the feline purring immediately.  "It's okay, she won't bite."

Curious, the cheetara began to explore the strangers.  Mace gingerly stroked her, though gained a little more confidence when she rubbed her head against his hand.   Shahala bounded toward Yaddle.  The small green Jedi Master instinctively picked her up and began to play with the tiny furball, Shahala toying with her hair, Yaddle laughing with delight.   "Many years it has been since a kitten I played with.  Thank you Master Qui-Gon."

  "My pleasure, though you do realise she'll have to go back to Africana tomorrow."

Yaddle smiled, nodded, then shook her head vigorously so more of her hair fell down.  The cub had a field day, before snuggling up, falling asleep in her lap.

  "Tell me Master Qui-Gon," Yoda said, "if not found this loophole in our plan, what have done would you?"

  "I'd still be missing you all on Alderaan ... Master Yoda, if I killed this innocent creature, to regain my status as a Jedi Master, I'd be a hypocrite.  It's against everything I believe in."

Yoda smiled.  "The test you have passed, Master Qui-Gon.  If killed this creature had you, not fit to become a Jedi would you be."

Qui-Gon smiled warmly as he felt the mother gently rub her head against him.

Jedi Master Yoda tapped his gimer stick on the floor.

  "Officially reinstated are you, Master Qui-Gon Jinn.  Your Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi be."

  "Thank you, Master Yoda.  It is an honour."

Master and Padawan shared a gentle hug.

  "Thank you, Master Yoda," Obi-Wan said.  "Master Windu, thank you for your guidance in Master Qui-Gon's absence."

Mace smiled and raised his glass.  "Thank you for your youth."

Obi-Wan smiled.  "My pleasure."

Mace drank, then set down his glass.   "Time for the presents," he said.

  "You shouldn't have," Qui-Gon said, a tad flustered.

Mace smiled and pulled out two wrapped presents.  "We couldn't decide which one to get you, so we got you both."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Thank you, but I have nothing to give in return."

Yoda smiled.  "This dinner you give.  Out of your way you went.  Very special it is."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it."

Despite their disagreements, Qui-Gon felt he would always maintain his friendship with the Council members.

Mace handed Qui-Gon one of the wrapped presents.  "It's a-"

  "Ssh!  I want a surprise."

Obi-Wan smiled as his Master took the present.   He set it down on the table and began to open it in pure Jedi fashion, slowly, and with precision.  Without warning, he madly tore into it like an excited child.  Obi-Wan couldn't help laughing.  Qui-Gon smiled as he held up his present.

  "Thank you ... My old tunic is starting to get quite tatty."

He folded it and placed it on a side table as Plo Koon handed him the second gift.  Qui-Gon set it down gently and opened it in the same fashion, sensing that this one would not like to be unwrapped so enthusiastically.  Qui-Gon stared it at first, then gently held it and it began to glow in his hands.  "An Angel Moon Tree ... *She's beautiful.*"

His Jedi friends smiled.  Although curious to know where they got the tree from, Qui-Gon was too polite to ask.

  "I found her on a trek on Endor," Oppo Rancisis said, feeding Qui-Gon's shy curiosity, "she was dying, so with her permission, I scooped her up and told her that you'd take good care of her, when you came back - knowing your green fingers..."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "I will take care of you, I promise," he said to the small bonsai Angel Moon tree, gently stroking her white glowing leaves.  "Thank you."

  "She kicked up such a fuss about being wrapped up," Eeth Koth said, "we told her it would only be for a few hours."

Qui-Gon chucked.  "She's lovely."  He ticked under her leaves.  The plant shook and giggled daintily with delight.

  "She's in good hands," Ki-Adi Mundi said with a smile.

Qui-Gon smiled, took her to his kitchen and placed her next to purple his flowering cactus, who seemed brightened by the new arrival.

  "Thank you," Qui-Gon said, sincere.

  "Our pleasure it is," Yoda smiled.

 

The dinner progressed onto dessert.  Collective smiles, as they began to eat the lightly fluffed Alderaanian chocolate mousse, with chocolate garnish, served with fresh fruits.

Shahala, now with Qui-Gon, pawing his long hair.  He smiled and fed her some milk.

 

                *  *  *

 

Now well into the night, Even Piell, Saesee Tiin and Yarel Poof sat outside by the small bonfire, while Plo Koon, Eeth Koth, Ki-Adi-Mundi and Depa Billaba danced around it, holding hands.

Qui-Gon sat by the fire with Obi-Wan for a while, and his young Padawan had dragged him, smiling into the dancing circle.

 

                *  *  *

 

  "I saw that," Qui-Gon said.

  "Saw what?" Obi-Wan asked, innocently, trying to stifle another yawn.

  "You're practically falling asleep."

  "It's traditional to stay awake until the celebration's over."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "You're five, Obi-Wan."

  "Just a little longer..."

  "All right," Qui-Gon smiled as he ruffled his young Padawan's hair, grateful to have him back - officially.

Obi-Wan, desperate to stay awake, suppressed his tiredness, and ate some more delicious roast vegetables, followed by some fresh fruit and chocolate.

  "Very nice," Ki-Adi Mundi said, popping a piece of honey melon into his mouth.

Mace Windu smiled, nodded, then kissed him.  Obi-Wan stared, eyes wide.

  "Must be the medley ..." Qui-Gon said with an innocent look.

  "What did you put into it?"

Seeing Qui-Gon's mock innocent look, he almost gasped. "Master... you ... didn't ... spike the punch, did you?"

  "Don't worry, it's a harmless, ancient spiced concoction."

Obi-Wan could barely contain his laughter.  "You're not going to tell me that's traditional ..."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "It is, actually.  In the ancient times it's said that elf sprites used to sneak in on Solstice Night and spike the medley, so they could then creep around and steal food for their families while the celebrators were slightly pissed."

Obi-Wan chucked.  "You're not an elf sprite."

  "Apparently my ancient ancestors were elf folk."

  "Really?" Obi-Wan sensed Qui-Gon wasn't kidding.  "Come to think of it, you do have a elfin look about you."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "No pointy ears though."

Obi-Wan smiled back at him.  "They really came on Solstice Night?"

  "As the legends have it.   Some claim to have seen the elves, though have never been sure if it was the effects of the spiked medley - some have tried to catch them, though elf folk are quick and cunning, though despite their mischief, mean no harm, and so no harm befalls them."

I read about the elves in your Solstice story.  "It said if you see one it's supposed to bring you good fortune and prosperity."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "That may be true."

  "I'd always thought they were a myth."

  "Some think the Force is a myth, Obi-Wan."

The young Padawan smiled.  "You never cease to amaze me, Master."

Qui-Gon smiled as Obi-Wan took a sip of his small glass of fruit medley.  "I hope you didn't have too much of that."

  "I think I saw an elf," he said, ruffling his Master's hair.

Qui-Gon chucked.  "I hope you he brings you good fortune and I hope you never stop making me smile."

Obi-Wan smiled and tried to stifle his upcoming yawn with a vengeance.

No sooner had he eaten another piece of chocolate, when Master Depa Billaba, leapt onto the table, proceeding to belly dance in a most evocative fashion, shedding her many mesh veils, one at a time.

Adi Gallia thumped the table and howled. "Yeah!!  Go baby!"

Obi-Wan stared wide eyed.  "Master, I think I should go to bed now."

Qui-Gon chucked, fed him a piece of fruit and nodded.  "I promise I'll wake you before the party's over."

Obi-Wan smiled as his Master picked him up and carried him to his bedroom.

Yaddle smiled warmly.  "Made for each other they are."

Yoda nodded as he watched Qui-Gon, the small child seemed made for his arms.

 

Obi-Wan had practically fallen asleep in his Master's arms as Qui-Gon set him down on his soft bed.  Amba jumped up onto the bed and gently nudged him, Shahala, scrambling up.  Qui-Gon caught the tiny cub as she fell off and placed her beside her mother, lying next to Obi-Wan.

  "Thank you, Master," Obi-Wan said, in a tired whisper.

 

Half asleep now, Obi-Wan heard his Master and the other Jedi talking about the republic, the senate ... their voices seeming distant.  He heard his Master speak of bringing compassion back to the republic, putting cheetaras as well as other species on an endangered species list and founding a galaxy-wide organisation for those in need, people and wildlife.  Through the slightly ajar door, despite his tiredness, Obi-Wan smiled.  That was his Master to a T.

 

  "I may not agree with your methods," Mace said, "but you're a good man, Jinn."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "I do what I can."

He checked on Obi-Wan, still sleeping lightly. 

Mace came to him and smiled at his former Padawan's small curled up form.

  "You're fortunate to have one to whom you are bonded so well."

  "I know."

  "I learned from him, although he doesn't think I did ... 

He never really was my Padawan, was he?"

  "What do you think?  If you want to borrow him again-"

Qui-Gon smiled. 

Mace smiled as well, and shook his head.    "Jinn you're incorrigible."

Qui-Gon smiled.  Obi-Wan tried to pretend to be in a deep sleep and that he hadn't heard a thing, though he was smiling into his pillow uncontrollably.

 

  "Tradition demands the left over of a Solstice dinner donated to those in need," Mace said.

  "At least that's one tradition passed down from the first ever Solstice celebration - one of the first things I arranged and why I ordered and prepared way too much food."

Mace smiled.  "Just like you, Jinn."

From inside his bedroom, Obi-Wan smiled too.  His Master never stopped caring.

As if on cue, Qui-Gon's subtle door chime sounded and he answered it.

  "Solstice Greetings," he said with a gentle smile.

  "Pick up and delivery for Master Qui-Gon Jinn."

  "Delivery?" Qui-Gon became curious.

  "It's from Dantooine."  The courier handed him a medium sized flat parcel, wrapped in brown paper.

  "Thank you," Qui-Gon set it aside and gestured to the boxes.  "They contain food, toys and supplies."

The courier smiled.  "You're a Jedi, I take your word for it.  I'll be back with my trolley."

  "No need," Qui-Gon lifted the boxes, using the Force.

  "Uhh ... my Craft's the red and white one.  Thanks."

Qui-Gon nodded as he guided the boxes out of the door, around the kindling bonfire, out into the corridor, then out of the building, into the courier's waiting ship.

Obi-Wan, still sleepy, gave the cats one last pat, Amba licking his face and her baby gently toying with his hand and braid, before Qui-Gon took them to the courier.  Obi-Wan joined him, holding Shahala.

Qui-Gon smiled  "Enjoy your rest?"

His young Padawan nodded, still a little sleepy.

  "I'll pay extra," Qui-Gon said to the courier, "but I'm going to have to ask you to make a little detour to Africana, to return these two."  He indicated the two tired cats.  "It's the third moon of Iego."

The courier nodded as the mother cat rubbed against him.  "I could never bring myself to eat one of these.  I see you couldn't either."

  "They were delivered here prior to Solstice.  A mix up, actually ... So what's the charge?"

The courier added up.  "Two hundred and eighty-five credits all up - and just conforming the heading again - Africana for the cats and the boxes of foot and other items?"

  "Orphanage of the Light, Dantooine."

In the background, Mace and the other Council members could not help but admire the Jedi Master's flare.

Qui-Gon typed in the amount and handed the credit pad to the courier. "Keep the change."

  "Thank you, Master Qui-Gon, but I feel I must inform you that you've typed in 3 000, not 300."

  "Did I?" Qui-Gon smiled, and placed his arms around this man he didn't even know.  "Have a joyous Solstice, Haderis."

The courier's eyes began to well with tears.  "I ... I don't know what to say ... Thank you ... I've always dreamed of giving my family a decent Solstice... Thank you, Master Jedi, I see reports of your kindness are not exaggerated."

Qui-Gon smiled.   "You'd better get going or you won't make it home in time.  You'll find some shops still open on the other side of Coruscant, and the markets should still have some fresh produce."

  "May the Force Be With You."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "And also with you."

He watched the happy courier leave, the cats, a tad reluctant to leave their new friends at first, but Qui-Gon's kind eyes and Obi-Wan's soft words and both Jedi's gentle hands, assuring them that it was all right.  Qui-Gon smiled warmly as he sensed Amba and Shahala were going to miss him and his ... cub... almost as much as they missed their home.

 

Shortly after the courier had left, Qui-Gon's guests began to leave, it was getting quite late.

  "Where are you all going?" Qui-Gon asked.  "Y'know it's traditional to help the chef and his helper clear up."

The Council members looked at Qui-Gon in despair.

  "You're already reinstated, Qui-Gon," Even Piell said, sounding mock desperate.

Qui-Gon chuckled.  "With all of us working together, it won't take long."

Obi-Wan helped pack up the leftovers into a box, placing a few into the fridge, then he looked sad.  He'd forgotten to take out the special dessert he'd made.   He pulled the plate to the front and packed up the rest of the left over food - three large boxes were filled.

 

Before long, the table was cleared, the cloth in the wash, and the dishes and cutlery all washed, dried and placed away.

 

  "Thank you all," Qui-Gon said.  "This Solstice has been one to remember."

The Council members smiled and nodded their agreement.

  "You certainly did make it memorable," Oppo said.  "Thank you."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "My pleasure.  It's wonderful to be back.

Alderaan has beautiful scenery, and it's very peaceful, but I really did miss you all."

  "Even me?" Mace asked.

Qui-Gon smiled and embraced him.  "Of course.  You keep me on my toes."

Windu chuckled and returned the embrace.  "I missed you too, Jinn."

Obi-Wan smiled with great warmth, his Master's capacity for forgiveness never ceasing to amaze him.

 

Yoda coughed and when Qui-Gon looked at him the little green Jedi Master pointed.  Qui-Gon looked up and realised he and Mace were standing directly under the mistletoe.  Obi-Wan tried desperately to stifle a smile. 

Qui-Gon looked at an embarrassed Mace and said, "it's tradition," he said, innocently, and then quicker than Mace could stop him, Qui-Gon kissed the darker skinned Jedi right on the lips.  Obi-Wan couldn't stop himself from laughing, Mace chuckled and shook his head. 

  "I hope you never get banished again."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "I don't plan to, but don't count on it," and he smiled.

 

 

Qui-Gon's guests began to leave, giving them each a wrapped piece of chocolate.

  "Where in the *Universe* did you get Godiva Chocolates!?" Depa Billaba exclaimed.

The Council seemed most curious as to where Qui-Gon would have gotten access to the rarest, most elusive, expensive chocolates in the entire Galaxy.

Qui-Gon smiled.  "You don't expect me to reveal all my secrets, do you?"

His friends smiled as they left.  Qui-Gon would always be something of a mystery.

  "Traditionally Solstice Day is spent relaxing and having a good time, so don't let me catch any of you working - unless it's an emergency, of course.   So relax, play, smile and have fun."

Yoda turned to him.  "Yes, Master."

Qui-Gon chuckled, Obi-Wan smiled.

 

                *  *  *

 

Now the guests had gone, Obi-Wan brought out his plate of chocolate puff truffles.

  "I made these from that recipe I told you about, but I'm sorry, forgot to bring them out."  He offered his Master one.

Qui-Gon smiled and took one.  "Just for you.  If I eat another thing, I'll explode."

Qui-Gon slowly ate the chocolate.  "Mmm ... Delicious, Padawan... Thank you.  I thought you said you couldn't cook."

Obi-Wan smiled.  "There are thirty different types of chocolates in each one."

  "No wonder they're so delicious."

Obi-Wan smiled and ate one himself, though he was also quite full.  "I'm glad you did indulge, Master - and don't you dare feel guilty about it."

Qui-Gon smiled and ticked Obi-Wan and allowed him to tickle him back.  Master and Padawan laughed together.

  "I really enjoyed tonight, Master.  It was very special and I don't think anyone'll be forgetting it.   Makes all our preparation definitely worthwhile."

Qui-Gon hugged him.  "I'm glad you think so.  Preparing is half the fun.  It's been so many years since I really enjoyed Solstice, thank you. Padawan."

Obi-Wan smiled.  "My pleasure, Master, but you made it happen too."

  "I couldn't've done it without your youthful spirit."

Obi-Wan smiled.  "You always say no one's too old to play."

  "How true ... Although it seemed harder to get back into the spirit when so many Solstices seemed devoid of it ... My former Padawan, Xanatos didn't even believe in Solstice."

  "Master, if you don't mind me saying, from what you've told me about Xanatos, he wouldn't know joy if it took his lightsabre and stuck it where Tatooine's suns don't shine."

  "Oo.  But true."

Master and Padawan laughed again.

 

  "Now," Qui-Gon said.  "What's this?"

He stood and picked up the flat package the courier had left.  He saw it was from the orphanage and began to tear the brown packaging off and out fell card, colourful happy faces drawn on it.  Qui-Gon picked it up and opened it.

 

            'Dear Master Quee-Gon,' he smiled

 

            'Thank you for the money you sent us.  It helped us a             lot.  You made us all so happy, that someone does care             and thank you for the food and toys you are sending us             for Solstice Day.  We hope your Solstice is very very

            happy and that Obie-Won has a happy Solstice too.  We

            didn't have much spare money to buy you a present, so we

            made you a picture of our favorite place on Dantooine,

            the Crystal Falls.  We hope you like it. 

            When we grow up, we want to help people, just like you. 

 

            All our love, the Orphans of the Light.

 

 

                        Dear Master Qui-Gon

 

                        I can't thank you enough for what you've done for

                        us. The orphanage was on the verge of closing

                        down, and the children being cast onto the streets.

                        There was even a danger of them being sold as slave

                        labour.  I'm sorry we can't offer you much in

                        return, but this collage, our gratitude and love,

                        You truly are a wonderful person.

 

                        All our love Mistress Nagrina.

 

 

Obi-Wan didn't seem to mind that they'd spelt his name wrong either.  All he could think about was because of his Master, these children were safe, fed and warm. 

 

A tear escaped as Qui-Gon looked at the beautiful framed 3-D collage.  The children had gathered pieces of Dantooine's nature, bark, leaves, twigs and other things to make the piece of art.  The waterfalls consisted of the crystal clear strands of plastic packaging used to pack goods, blue cellophane, water, with rocks visible underneath, and crushed quartz crystal to symbolise the bubbling water travelling over the rocks, leaves, twigs and bark made realistic trees.  Qui-Gon looked behind the waterfall, to see a cave dug out of the rock, a light at the end, suggesting something mystical.

  "It's beautiful, Master," Obi-Wan said.  "It's as though it was made by a professional artist."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "It was created with the love of Children."

Again, he admired the masterpiece.

 

Qui-Gon took a piece of parchment and his special green fountain pen, which Obi-Wan knew he only used for very special occasions.  He watched as his Master wrote with the shimmering green ink.  He loved his Master's simple, elegant writing.

 

            Beloved Children, Mistress Nagrina

 

            I cannot thank you enough for the beautiful give you made             for me.  It's truly beautiful.  A gift made with love is             worth more than money can ever buy.  You captured the             essence of the Crystal Falls so wonderfully, when I look             at your picture, it's like I'm really there.  It's going up in my bedroom right now. 

            Obi-Wan and I had a lovely, very traditional Solstice

            Night.  It's the best Solstice I've had.  I know your

            Solstice will be just as joyous.  It is always my great

            pleasure to have the honour to help those in need.

 

            All my love, Qui-Gon, but you can call me Quee-Gon if you      like ...

 

            And he drew a smiley face, too cute for words.

 

Obi-Wan smiled as Qui-Gon folded the paper and placed it in an envelope, leaving it outside his quarters for delivery.

 

As he promised, he hung the beautiful collage in his bedroom, opposite his bed.  "So I can look at it every day."

  "It really does look lovely," Obi-Wan said.  "You're such a beautiful person, Master. If only more people were as kind as you."

Qui-Gon smiled.

  "I have something for you," Obi-Wan said.  "I ... I wanted to give it to you in private."

Qui-Gon smiled warmly.  "Thank you, Obi-Wan, but you didn't have to."

His young Padawan smiled.  "I know, but I wanted to."

He fetched the present from the hiding spot in his room and handed it to his Master.

Qui-Gon opened the wrapping and looked at the folded material inside and ran his hand over the rough spun, but smooth feeling fabric.  "Thank you."

  "You really like it?"

  "I love it Obi-Wan.  You've given me a very valuable gift."

  "I have?"

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Your time and your love."

Obi-Wan smiled.  "I enjoyed every minute of it.  And I learned a lot from Andeas too."

He gently placed his arms around his Master. 

When he parted, he realised his Master was crying and gently wiped a tear form the older Jedi's cheek.

  "Master, is it so hard for you to realise someone cares about you?"

Qui-Gon smiled.  "I guess sometimes I need to be reminded... Thank you, My Padawan for your love and making this Solstice wonderful."

Obi-Wan smiled.  "My pleasure, Master.  You do realise of course that the Spirit of Solstice has always been with you."

Qui-Gon smiled gently at his Padawan.  "And you helped me find it."

  "My pleasure, Master."

Qui-Gon gently ruffled his hair.  "I have something for you too," he said.

  "Master?"

Qui-Gon smiled.  "I wanted to give it to you in private ... in case the others got jealous."

Obi-Wan smiled as Qui-Gon reached the bottom a drawer by his bed and took out a wrapped gift.

  "Careful," he whispered.

Obi-Wan gently took the gift from his Master and slowly opened it and stared in disbelief.  The wrapping fluttered to the floor, as he held the crystal in both hands.

  "Oh *Force* ... A Hoth Ice Crystal... Master, I-"

Qui-Gon smiled gently.  Somehow I sensed you'd like it.

Obi-Wan hugged him.  "It's *beautiful.*"

The crystal felt warm in his hand, the spark inside dancing with joy.

  "I think he likes you."

Obi-Wan smiled, then remembered his the state of Master's hands when he'd first arrived back and looked at them, looking a lot better than when he had first arrived, thanks to extra care and hand cream.  "Master ... you didn't go to..."

Qui-Gon smiled warmly, Obi-Wan beginning to sense his Master's quest.

  "Ohh thank you ...." He threw his arms around the older Jedi.

Qui-Gon smiled warmly.  "My pleasure, my young Padawan."

A tear splashed onto the crystal as Obi-Wan held it.  "I think he likes you too."

Qui-Gon smiled as Obi-Wan placed him next to the Angel Moon Tree, the tree's leaves glowing brighter.

Qui-Gon smiled.  "I think they're in love."

Obi-Wan laughed.

  "And now, Padawan, I think we really must go to sleep.  We have an important day tomorrow."

Qui-Gon was in bed in an instant, Obi-Wan snuggling next to him.  "Thank you, Master, this is the best Solstice I've ever had."

Qui-Gon smiled gently.  "My pleasure, Padawan ... Me too."

Obi-Wan smiled as he made himself comfortable, both Jedi falling asleep in an instant.

 

                *  *  *

 

Both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan slept longer than usual, but as

Obi-Wan pointed out, it was Solstice and Qui-Gon hardly ever allowed himself to sleep in.

His Master stretched leisurely before bathing and washing his thick hair.

 

  "I'll never forget last night, Master."

  "Neither will I, Padawan."  Donned in his new garment,

Qui-Gon smiled. "It feels lovely, and it's a wonderful fit too," the grey Alderaanian hemp poncho swirling to his movement.

  "It looks great on you, Master!" Obi-Wan felt even more glad he'd seen it in Andeas' shop, what seemed like an eternity ago now.

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Now have your bath quickly.  We've some important business to attend to."

Obi-Wan looked confused.

  "We've got to go outside and play."

Obi-Wan laughed.  "Yes, Master.  Happy Solstice."

  "Happy Solstice, My young Padawan."

 

 

Now clean and dry, the two Jedi ate some fruit before placing the three large boxes of food into a motorised cart and headed off into the streets of Coruscant, alive with Solstice celebrations.

 

Obi-Wan smiled, seeing all the happy faces, adults, children, even the animals were joyous, the streets of Coruscant lined with many colourful decorations, flags, fun, love and laughter.

 

Qui-Gon smiled as he saw his friends joining in the fun. 

Mace Windu, Eeth Koth and Even Piell playing ball with some children they didn't know, Yaddle and Yoda playing with a bundle of tiny kittens, Oppo Rancisis and Plo Koon playing with Alderaanian puppies, Adi Gallia shrieking as Depa Billaba caught her in a game of chase, both girls wearing brightly coloured dresses, Depa then chasing after Ki-Adi Mundi.  Saesee Tiin and Yarel Poof joining in all the fun.

  "This is something we don't often see," Obi-Wan said.

  "I've *never* seen them having so much fun," Qui-Gon said smiling.

  "Must be your good influence."

Qui-Gon chuckled.  "Must be."

Mace threw him the ball.  Without touching it, Qui-Gon threw it back with the Force.  Mace caught it, smiled and continued to play, as Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon ventured further into the streets.

 

Qui-Gon sensed a distressed presence, looked around, then he looked down to see a scrawny mouse, with his foot trapped.  The Jedi Master bent down and gently freed the tiny creature.  Terrified at first at this very large creature, Qui-Gon gently stroked the furry rodent, silently assuring him that he meant no harm, placing his smallest finger over the mouse's injured foot, healing it with the Force.  Obi-Wan took out some vegetable pie for the small creature.

  "Here, Master."

Qui-Gon smiled.  The mouse nibbled, his whiskers twitching.  Qui-Gon gave him a larger piece.  "Here, take this home to your family."  He gently stroked the soft grey creature.

Obi-Wan smiled.  The mouse seemed to understand him.  No creature seemed too small for his Master's compassion, as he saw the mouse take the pie and scurry off, but not without what seemed like a 'thank you' look.

  "My pleasure, Little One," Qui-Gon said, watching the mouse dart into a tiny hole, clutching his piece of pie.

Obi-Wan smiled.  "I hope you never stop caring, Master."

Qui-Gon smiled warmly as he walked on with his young Padawan.

 

Again he sensed a little sadness, but this time not from anyone in distress, it seemed some children were having trouble breaking open their Solstice pinata.  He sensed they had been delivered a metal one, specifically designed for droids and were having a hard time breaking into it.  Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan approached, as the children's stick broke as they tried again to break into the coloured animal.

  "Need some help?" Qui-Gon asked.

A sad child looked up at him.  "Our pinata won't break open.  It's metal ... and out stick broke."

  "Would you like me to give it a try?"

  "If you get it open you can have some lollies and toys," the boy said, hopefully.

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Thank you."

  "But our stick broke."

  "Can I use my own stick?"

  "If you can get it open."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "I think I can."

He ignited his lightsabre, leapt up, the green blade slicing through with ease, the Jedi Master being careful not to singe the lollies or toys as they rained down on the delighted children.  Obi-Wan couldn't stop laughing.  His Master had found yet another use for a lightsabre.  He'd opened doors with it, used it as a light in a blackout, even used it to keep children he'd rescued from space pirates warm, improvised with it in the Annual Jedi play, on low power, when his metal prop sword broke - and last night he'd lit the Solstice bonfire with it too.

The excited children scrambled about lollies and toys.

  "Thank you," the mother said.  "I was beginning to think it was a lost cause."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Lightsabres come in handy for other things than fighting now and again." He holstered it, in style,

Obi-Wan thought with a smile.

   "Here," the child who had been so sad at first gave Qui-Gon a handful of lollies and toys.

The Jedi Master smiled.  "Thank you." 

He threw some to Obi-Wan.  Both Jedi unwrapped their prizes and began to eat the chewy chocolate-toffee lollies, Qui-Gon placing the other lollies and toys in the cart and heading off with Obi-Wan, sending the happiness of the children.

 

Qui-Gon approached the slums of Coruscant, not nearly as brightly decorated as the other parts, the people in the street, dressed in rags, by a sad fire.

Obi-Wan realised why his Master had come here.  They were greeted by a young poor girl, seventeen, Qui-Gon sensed.

She smiled and wished them a happy Solstice, despite her inner sadness.  "A happy Solstice to you, but I'm sorry we've no food to spare."

  "That's all right," Qui-Gon said.  "I have some for you."

The girl smiled again.  "Thank you, but we've no money either."

Qui-Gon opened the cart and took out the boxes.  "I know ... here." He smiled warmly.

  "You're giving this to us?"

Qui-Gon nodded.  "You need it much more than I do."

  "Thank you ... I ..."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "You're welcome.   It's not very much, I'm sorry I can't give more."

The girl smiled again.  "Please join us, my name's Salisia."

The Jedi Master introduced.  "Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan."

  "You're very kind," Salisia said.

Obi-Wan smiled.  "He always is."

Qui-Gon chuckled.

  "Solstice is always quite bleak for us," Salisia said, though we manage."   She sat down to put up red decoration, a dirty ragged off cutting of cloth.

Qui-Gon smiled and sat next to her.  "One doesn't need to be rich to celebrate Solstice.  It's the spirit and love that counts."  He touched the green cloth.  "Most would throw this away, but here it's a symbol of hope, love, spirit and beauty."

Salisia smiled.  "You do understand.  Did you indulge this Solstice?"

Qui-Gon was silent.

  "It's all right," Obi-Wan said, coming to his rescue.  "I forced him to.  He hardly ever spoils himself."

Salisia smiled.  "Then it's all right to indulge once in a while."

Qui-Gon smiled as some children came sat by them.

  "You have lovely children," he said.

  "How did you know they were mine?" Salisia seemed confused.

  "I'm a Jedi, I can sense things."

  "Oh," Salisia smiled.  "Wow.  I'd always hoped to meet a Jedi someday.  I'm very pleased to meet you."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "The pleasure is mine."

His head turned as he sensed another presence.   "This is Merlan, my husband."

He shook hands with Qui-Gon.  Usually he'd feel uneasy with another man so close to his wife, but he sensed nothing amiss from the Jedi.

  "Thank you for your gifts," Merlan said.

  "My pleasure," Qui-Gon replied.  "Though I wish I had more to give."

The younger man smiled warmly.  Qui-Gon helped him give the food and toys out to the excited children.

  "I always wished I could afford toys," Salisia said, trying to keep back tears.

Qui-Gon smiled gently.  "Toys may be fun to have, but you give them the most precious gift of all - love."

Tears welled in Salisia's eyes.  "I often forget that.  You are wise, Qui-Gon, thank you."

He smiled again.

  "Master ..." Obi-Wan gingerly pointed upward.

Qui-Gon looked up to see he and Salisia were sitting directly under a bunch of mistletoe the people had made, the white plastic berries, bright in the sunlight.  Qui-Gon swallowed and looked a tad uncomfortable.  He looked at the husband and looked embarrassed.

Merlan laughed at Qui-Gon's discomfort.  "You can kiss her," he said with a smile.

And watched as his wife shared a kiss with a total, but caring stranger.

  "I want a kiss too!"

Salisia's daughter leapt onto Qui-Gon's lap.

  "All right."  Smiling, he kissed her nose.

The little girl giggled with glee.  "My name's Amiia.  Here."  She gave him took off her lai and gave it to him.

  "I made this today and I want you to have it."

She placed it around Qui-Gon's neck.  He smiled, gently touched the delicate white flowers.  "It means a lot to you," he said.  "Thank you."

The little girl hugged him, Qui-Gon smiled warmly, a tear falling from his cheek, wishing others would feel the unconditional love of children.

A second later, two other children jumped onto him.  Qui-Gon chuckled.  Obi-Wan smiled, then laughed to see three small happy children scrambling over his Master, 

Qui-Gon chuckled.  He even let them pull the band out of his hair, which he placed in his belt, under his poncho and let them play with his hair.  Obi-Wan smiled, his Master reminding him of a mother Cheetara letting her children jump all over her, biting her tail and ears and he joined in the fun and began to braid his Master's hair.

  "I've forgotten how nice it is to have one's hair played with."  Qui-Gon laid back.

Obi-Wan smiled.  "Enjoy."

 

 

The two Jedi spent the rest of the day and night playing with children and parents from the less fortunate of Coruscant's inhabitants.  Although Qui-Gon wished he could have done more, Obi-Wan assured him that he'd brought more joy to these people than money or food ever could.

 

                *  *  *

 

Qui-Gon sat with Obi-Wan, staring into the Coruscant night sky, the cloud cars at a minimum, so the view was clear.

  "Thank you, Master.  I'll never forget this Solstice in a million."

  "My pleasure, Obi-Wan.  Neither will I."

Qui-Gon once again looked into the night sky, a beautiful bright white star, seeming to twinkle just for him and he smiled, thanking it for its beauty, closed his eyes and made a silent wish.

 

//Please let next Solstice hold as much magic, joy and beauty as this one.//  He smiled warmly.  //Thanks.//

 

And he gently embraced his Padawan.

 

 

*

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Qui~Gon Page