Disclaimer:  Knight Rider was created by Glen A. Larson.

 

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic.

 

Summary:  Michael is on his way back to FLAG, hurting after Stevie’s death.  Set directly after “Scent of Roses”

 

Rating PG

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

KNIGHT OF ROSES

 

 

For the first hour, neither Michael nor KITT said anything.  Finally the Trans Am broke the silence.

  “I’m truly sorry for your loss, Michael,” KITT said gently.  “Stevie was a beautiful woman.”

  “She was much more than that, Kitt.”

  “I know … and I also know how much she meant to you.”

  “I almost did it, Kitt, I almost killed him.  Thank you for stopping me.”

  “You would have stopped yourself, Michael.  He was the lowest scum, I agree, but the legal system will deal with him now.”

Michael’s eyes glared into the distance.  “I hope they won’t be gentle.”

  “Let’s hope he gets what he deserves.”

Michael gave a single nod.  “He will.”

The Trans Am cruised on.

 

  “Stop,” Michael said suddenly.

  “Michael?” KITT inquired.  “Is everything all right?”

  “Things won’t be all right for a while, Kitt, a very long while.”

  “Have you changed your mind about going back to FLAG?”

  “No,” Michael said after a pause.  “Back up to that florist we passed, will you and give me twenty dollars from your cash dispenser and don’t bother telling me it’s only for FLAG business.”

  “I wasn’t going to.”  Michael took the emerging twenty dollar note.

He exited KITT and trotted into the florist.  He emerged, as KITT predicted, carrying a bunch of roses of all colours.  KITT opened his door as Michael placed the lightly scented flowers on the passenger seat.

  “KITT, head for the graveyard on Hill Street.”

  “Where Stevie was buried,” KITT said.

  “Yeah I know we’re due at FLAG Headquarters, but this can’t wait.”

  “I know.”

Michael hopped into KITT as the Sleek black Trans Am took off.

  “I predicted with one hundred percent accuracy you buying roses, Michael.”

Knight smiled.  “You did, did you?”

 

It took the better part of two hours for Knight and car to reach Stevie’s gravesite.

  “They think I wasn’t at the funeral,” Michael said.

  “But you were.  You stayed inside me, by the graveyard.” Devon and Bonnie saw you, they know you were there.  They know how much you cared, Michael.”

 “I couldn’t bring myself to watch them bury her.”

 “I know, Michael.”

Knight stayed in KITT for quite a while.  “I don’t know if I’m ready for this…”

  “I’m staying for as long as it takes, Michael,” KITT said.

  “Thanks, Partner, you’re the best friend anyone could have.”

  “Thank you, Michael.”

Knight sighed.

  “If you want to be alone I can shut myself down for a while,” KITT said.

  “Thanks, Buddy, but it’s all right, you don’t have to.”  Michael paused for a long while.  “She gave her life for me… Why did she have to die, Kitt?  Why??!!  How could anyone be so heartless as to hurt her … to kill her?” Michael’s eyes brimmed with tears that eventually fell.

  “I’m afraid I don’t have any answers for you, Michael.  I’m not an expert on death, and cruelty is something I will never understand either.”

Michael rubbed KITT’s dash.  “Why can’t there be more people like us in the world?”

  “My thoughts exactly.”

Michael wiped his tears away and rested his head on KITT’s modern steering wheel for a long while, before he looked up and took a deep breath.  He could see Stevie’s grave from where he sat, one with a white stone angel kneeling down atop the grave.

  “It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Michael said, “but every time I see it, my heart feels like it’s being torn out.”

  “I can sympathise, Michael.”

Knight exited the car and began to walk to Stevie’s grave.

  “Michael,” KITT called.

The tall man turned around.  “What is it?”

   “The roses.”

   “Oh … thanks, Kitt.”  Michael “retrieved them.

 

He walked to Stevie’s grave and gently placed them on top.  Then he fell to his knees in front of her grave. “I would have given my life to save you … Oh Stevie … why… You were so young … so beautiful … so kind … It’s so unfair!” Michael thumped the soft grass, leaving an impression.  At first he wiped his tears away, but after a while, he didn’t bother.

 

Michael stayed by Stevie’s grave for over an hour as KITT waited patiently for him.

 

Knight returned to the Trans Am, his cheeks red.  KITT opened his door.

  “Let’s go home, Buddy,” Michael said with a heavy sigh, climbing inside KITT and closing the door.  He smelt the air and realised the scent of the roses had lingered just like Stevie said it would.

 

Devon and Bonnie embraced him upon his return.

  “Michael I’m so relieved you’ve come back to us,” Devon said, “though Stevie’s death pains me greatly.”

Knight nodded.  “I know.  She was dear to all of us.”

  “I hope you won’t think me ungrateful for asking this, Michael, but why did you decide to return to us?”

  Devon, I thought about it … Innocent people die everyday.  Innocent, just like Stevie.  Someone always hurts … and FLAG sticks up for those people.  As long as we’re around, they have a chance to lead peaceful lives.”

  “Well said, Michael,” Devon said.

Bonnie nodded and smiled warmly, tears brimming in her eyes.

  “But before you send me on my next assignment, I’d like to take a ride in KITT.”

  “Be my guest.”

Michael smiled and hopped into the Trans Am.  KITT rolled down the ramp.

  “Where to, Michael?”

  “Second star on the right and straight on till morning.”

  “You got it, Partner.”

 

Michael and KITT had many more successful missions, defending the innocent and the helpless and for the longest time, KITT smelt of roses.

 

 

*

 

Received 4 votes in the Edward Awards for "Best short Story" - 2004

 

Received 4 votes in the Edward Awards for "Best Longtimer Story" - 2004

 

 

Recieved 3 votes in the Edward Awards for "Best Dramatic Scene" -2004

 

 

Back to Knight Rider Page