Summary: Obi-Wan and Anakin reminisce about Qui-Gon. Set during Episode II.

Rating G

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

REMINISCE

 

Obi-Wan left his stomach in the clouds as Anakin went into a sharp nose dive.

"Anakin, pull up ..."

His Padawan seemed to pay no attention to his as Obi-Wan grasped the seat, his life seemingly flashing before his eyes.

At the last possible moment, Anakin swerved and laughed at his Master’s discomfort.

"You know I don’t like it when you do that!" Obi-Wan scalded.

"I’m sorry, Master," the young boy said. "I didn’t mean to scare you."

Obi-Wan gave him a look.

The chase didn’t last long, and proved fruitless as the dead bounty hunter lay on the ground. Although she was less than altruistic, Obi-Wan abhorred the loss of life, but right now they had greater concerns on their minds.

"We left Padmé alone" he said. "We should go back to her.

"Padmé is fine," Obi-Wan said.

"You sure?"

Obi-Wan gave him a look. He did not like it when Anakin questioned him. It was as though his young apprentice didn’t trust his judgment.

"How about we get something to eat then?" the young man suggested.

"I’m not sure I’ll be able to eat after that. And I left my stomach way back up there."

Anakin smiled. "Sure you can. We’re near Astrologie. I’m sure you can work up an appetite."

"Their food is renowned throughout the system."

"See, you’re looking better already."

"As long as you keep at this pace."

Anakin chuckled.

To humour his Master Anakin parked slowly. The two Jedi disembarked and walked into the restaurant complex.

"Master are you all right?" Anakin asked, sending some discomfort. "It’s my flying isn’t it?"

Obi-Wan smiled. "No, it’s not that."

"You sense something?" Anakin put his hand on his lightsabre.

"No," Obi-Wan said. "Coming here brings back memories."

"Bad ones?"

"We came here often. I haven’t been here since... "

"Since Qui-Gon died," Anakin sensed. "I’m sorry, Master, do you want to leave?"

"No, Anakin," Obi-Wan said after a pause.

"Do you think of him often?"

"Everyday."

"Myself as well," Anakin admitted. "I often wish he was here."

"You never told me."

"I thought you’d tell me not to dwell on the past."

Obi-Wan put his hand on his Padawan’s shoulder. "I would not have told you to forget the ones you loved."

"Thank you, Master."

"Now let’s go and get something to eat. Qui-Gon wouldn’t want us to starve."

Anakin smiled.

"May I show you to your table?" a waiter offered.

"Yes thank you," Obi-Wan said, and they were let to the far corner of the restaurant.

Both Jedi looked at the menus.

"The Endorian leaf bake looks nice."

"Vegetarian, Anakin? That’s not like you. You always say you need meat for your growing body."

Anakin smiled. "I know, but speaking of Qui-Gon ... He had such deep respect for all life forms, even that bastard that killed him."

"Anger leads to the Dark Side, Anakin."

The young boy nodded. "I know, Master, but sometimes I can’t help..."

"I was angry too at first, believe me, but if I killed Maul out of revenge and rage I would have been no better than him."

"I’m sorry, Master."

"Don’t be, you’re still learning."

Anakin smiled. "Thank you, Master."

"My pleasure. You having the Endorian bake?"

"Yes please and you?"

"A large Alderaanian chocolate puff with whipped cream."

"Master!"

Obi-Wan smiled. "My Master would want me to enjoy myself ... and we can share."

Anakin returned his Master’s smile. "I can only hope to be like you and Master

Qui-Gon when my training is complete."

"You are your own person, Anakin."

"Yes, but I’ve learned so much from both of you."

"And you will take those teachings and use them in your own unique way. Now shall we place our order?"

"They were right about the service in this place," Anakin said, when the food was brought to them within five minutes. "It’s incredible."

"I’m glad you think so."

Both Jedi’s heads spun around.

"Master!" Obi-Wan exclaimed.

Anakin was speechless.

"I trust I am welcome?"

"Of course ... " Obi-Wan managed. "You don't need to ask."

Qui-Gon smiled as he sat down.

"What’s the matter? You two look like you’ve seen a ghost."

Obi-Wan managed a small chuckle. "Forgive me, Master, but ..."

"You didn’t expect to see me in the back of a restaurant? The Force works in mysterious ways, Obi-Wan." He turned to Anakin and smiled. "You’ve grown into a fine young boy."

"Thank you, Master Qui-Gon." Anakin was still getting used to the idea of Qui-Gon sitting with them.

"Well don’t let me stand in your way. Eat! It smells and looks delicious by the way."

"I wish I could give you some, Master, but..."

"It’s all right, Obi-Wan, I can taste it, if I concentrate."

Obi-Wan and Anakin began to eat, but could hardly keep their curiosity down.

"Master, what have you been doing all this time?"

"If I know you, Obi-Wan, the real question is ‘why haven’t I come to see you.’"

Obi-Wan fell silent. Qui-Gon smiled gently. "It’s not from lack of caring. You needed your own space to train Anakin, and Anakin, you too needed to be your own person. I couldn’t interfere with your training."

"I ... I know ... But it was so hard."

Qui-Gon touched his hand. "For me as well, but you knew I wasn’t really gone, didn’t you?"

"Of course, Master Qui-Gon, but it wasn’t the same."

"Of course not, and it took me a while to realise this is that way it had to happen, hard though it was."

He turned back to his Padawan. "I’m sorry, Obi-Wan, it wasn’t my intention to neglect you."

"I know, Master, but an occasional visit or word wouldn’t have gone astray."

Qui-Gon sighed. "I know ... but I was unsure..."

"Of whether I could let go?"

"Of whether I could."

A silence followed.

"I’m sorry," Qui-Gon said softly.

"I missed you, Master, more than I can say."

"As I have missed you, My Padawan."

Obi-Wan smiled. "I haven’t been called that in a long time."

"Nor have I been called Master. Time can pass in but a moment in the Force, but for me it has seemed like an eternity."

"For me as well."

Anakin played with his food. "I could never work out why you didn’t come," he said sadly. "I thought you were mad with me."

"Oh Anakin ... I could never be mad with you. Anger leads to the Dark Side, remember."

The young boy smiled. "I’m grateful you came, Master Qui-Gon, even if it has been eleven years."

"I wish things had been different, Ani, I wish I could have saved you mother and had I not been killed, both Obi-Wan and I could have trained you, but things do not always work out the way we desire them."

"I know."

"Eat your leaf bake," Qui-Gon said, "it’s getting cold ... and don’t forget to enjoy it."

Anakin smiled as he and Obi-Wan continued to eat, sharing their dishes with one and other.

"Do you miss eating?" Anakin asked.

"Not too much," Qui-Gon said. "The Force nourishes me and I can taste, though I do miss sharing meals with you both."

"As we miss sharing meals with you, Master." Obi-Wan said, "and even though it’s not quite the same, it’s an honour to be with you now."

Padawan and Master raised their glasses.

Qui-Gon smiled. "Thank you, I’m honoured to be here."

The Jedi Master watched as his former apprentice and his Padawan finished their meal.

"That was really nice." Obi-Wan said.

"The leaf bake or the chocolate puff?"

"Both."

All three smiled.

"I’m glad you enjoyed them." Qui-Gon said.

There was a pause before Obi-Wan spoke.

"You can’t stay long, can you, Master..."

"I’m afraid not," Qui-Gon said after a pause. "I’m sorry, but I promise I won’t stay away for so long."

The former Jedi Master placed his spirit hand upon his Padawan’s. Although it was not solid, Obi-Wan felt his Master’s love and warmth.

"I missed you," the younger Jedi said again, a tear escaping. Gently Qui-Gon brushed it away with the Force, Obi-Wan again feeling his Master’s warmth.

"I never left you, Obi-Wan, Anakin, although it may have seemed that way."

"I know, Master, and I feel foolish."

"Don’t," Qui-Gon said. "Perhaps I should have come to you sooner, I am sorry."

"Don’t be, Master you were acting in our best interests."

Qui-Gon smiled gently. "Thank you, Obi-Wan."

The three stood, Obi-Wan paid and they left the restaurant.

"I miss coming here with you," Qui-Gon said.

Obi-Wan smiled. "It doesn’t have to be the last time, Master."

Qui-Gon smiled. "I’m not really your Master anymore."

"I know, though it feels as though you are."

The trio climbed into the vehicle.

"I’m driving," Obi-Wan said.

Anakin and Qui-Gon chuckled.

During the journey, Qui-Gon appeared to take a breath.

"Do you have to go, Master?" Obi-Wan asked, when they were in the middle of the Coruscant traffic stream.

"Yes, I’m sorry."

"Can you stay just a little longer?" Anakin asked. "I can show you my lightsabre."

He quickly got it out.

"I’m impressed," Qui-Gon said. Gently he placed his hand on Anakin’s. "Proud of it?"

"Yes, Master Qui-Gon."

"And you should be, but never be blinded by pride."

"Yes, Master."

"And Anakin, promise me you’ll only ever use your abilities for good."

"I promise, Master Qui-Gon," Anakin said, wondering why Qui-Gon was telling him this.

"And promise me you won’t stay away so long next time," Obi-Wan said.

Qui-Gon smiled. "I promise, My Padawan."

Gently he stroked Obi-Wan’s hair, before he disappeared.

Obi-Wan took a silent breath. Anakin was right next to him, but the cloud car seemed empty. Already Obi-Wan missed his Master.

//May The Force be With You// he heard his Master’s voice in his head.

//And also with you, Master.//

Obi-Wan wondered how different things would have been if his Master had not been killed that day on Naboo. He knew they would have been different and he knew things had worked out this way for a reason, but not for the first time, he wished things had worked out differently.

"Do you suppose we’ll ever see him again?"

"I’m sure of it, Anakin," Obi-Wan said after a pause.

He too was somewhat puzzled and a little disturbed by Qui-Gon and Anakin’s conversation. Did his old Master know something he didn’t? He looked over to his Padawan, who was looking outside the vehicle, somewhat sadly.

Obi-Wan wondered when would be the next time he saw his Master again and found himself wondering about the future, though ‘not at the expense of the moment’ he remembered his Master saying once, a what seemed like aeons ago and he smiled sadly. In this moment he was flying in a traffic stream, missing his Master, although he knew Qui-Gon wasn’t really gone, a part of him longed to be with his Master, but somehow he knew that wouldn’t be for quite some time yet. He knew Qui-Gon wouldn’t want him to grieve or dwell on what might have been, and so he endeavored not to.

Upon their return to the Temple, Anakin retreated to his quarters, Obi-Wan found himself in the gardens. His Master often liked to come here and read under the large tree. He had brought one of his Masters old books with him, about a peaceful Universe, and he sat down to read, his legs curled up underneath him, making himself as comfortable as possible, smiling sadly to himself and he began to read.

"May the Force Be With You, Master."

Unbeknownst to him, his Master watched over him and smiled gently.

~And also with you, Obi-Wan, My Dear Friend.~

 

              *

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Qui~Gon Page