Disclaimers:  Knight Rider was created by Glen A. Larson.

 

No monetary profit is made by this foc.

 

Rating PG

 

~~~~~~~~~

KNIGHT RIDER

 

 

K.I.T.T.'S RAINBOW

 

 

Inside the FLAG Mobile Unit, KITT watched Bonnie work and knew she was avoiding the question.

  "How long, Bonnie?" he asked, anxiously, seeing her worried glance as she seemed to stare at the on board FLAG computer screen.

She looked at KITT, but didn't want to answer.

  "Bonnie, I need to know."

  "I know, Kitt ... and I care about you too much to lie to you."

  "But you're stalling instead."

Bonnie managed a smile.  "I'm sorry ..." she paused, and bit her lip before answering, finding it hard to keep back tears.

  "Best estimate ... A week..."

KITT almost gasped.  "I ... knew it was soon, but that soon?..."

  "I'm so sorry ..." Bonnie gently placed her hand upon his hood.

 

To cut a long, dark story short, KITT was dying.  Thanks to a computer virus invented by Marco Berio, who had been responsible a while back for turning KITT against Michael, coupled with a noxious fuel developed by his now defunct company, Glasshouse, which acted on KITT much the same as heroin would on a human.  It had taken FLAG at least a month to discover it, mostly due to KITT's strange incessant craving for the so called new 'super fuel' and his acting strangely.  The people responsible had been arrested and jailed, but by then it was too late.  There was no cure.

  "I'm sorry, Kitt..." Bonnie said again, tears brimming in her eyes.

  "It isn't your fault, Bonnie."

  "I know, but I wish there was something I could do ..."

KITT wanted to say 'so do I', but Bonnie felt bad enough.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

  "You told him," Michael said, judging by the look on Bonnie's face.  "I didn't know how."

  "Neither did I, but he had a right to know."

Bonnie threw her arms around Michael and sobbed.  "Why did this have to happen??..."

Michael held her tightly, fighting tears back himself.

  "Be gentle with him," she said.

  "I always am."

  "Liar."

They both smiled, but nothing could alleviate their sadness.  They emerged from the small room of the FLAG Mobile Unit.

  "Come on, you two, cheer up ... I'm still here..." KITT said.

Bonnie managed a smile and placed her hand on KITT's sleek black roof.  "I know."  *But I wish it could stay that way.*

 

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

  "You have my deepest sympathies, Kitt," Devon said, his eyes conveying the sadness he felt.

  "I don't blame anyone here, Devon.  None of us knew what was going on until it was too late ‑ myself included."

  "How are you feeling?"

  "Fine right now, physically."

Devon could tell KITT was afraid, but admired the Pontiac's courage.

  "Kitt, this is very awkward for me," he said, "but Michael's been called away on an urgent mission."

  "When do we leave?"

  "I admire your enthusiasm, Kitt, but you're in no condition to be gallivanting around."

  "I see."  KITT was clearly hurt.

  "Don't be upset, Kitt.  In your present condition, you can't be expected to‑"

  "Do I have a choice in the matter?"

  "Of course you do ... but FLAG has prepared a large storage facility at HQ, equipped to cater for your every need.  FLAG staff will assure that you're as comfortable as possible."

  "Thank you, but if I really only do have a week left, Devon, the last thing I want is to spend it sulking and wasting away in an old storage hangar."

Devon smiled.  "That's the Kitt I know."

  "Was there ever any doubt?"

Devon patted KITT's hood.  "No, but when you're about to lose someone close to you, it's hard on all of us, yourself included."

  "Thanks for your support, Devon.  It's good to know I have friends I can count on when things get rough."

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Devon had briefed both Michael and KITT on the mission.  Although urgent, it was quite simple and not too far from the FLAG Mobile Unit's current position.  Unbeknownst to KITT, Bonnie had arranged to get as close as possible to make it easier on him, though she didn't want KITT to feel as though he couldn't cut it.  That was the last thing she felt.  She wanted to go with him and Michael ‑ this could well be KITT's last mission and she wanted to be with him, though she knew she couldn't handle it if KITT died while she was with him, and decided to stay aboard the FLAG Unit, though she fussed about KITT, making him as comfortable as possible, adding extra oomph to his shock absorbers.

  "Michael..."

  "I know ... I'll take extra special care of him."

  "Get in, Michael," KITT said, opening his door.  "Really,  you two are like mother hens ... Not that I don't appreciate it. It's nice to be clucked over."

Bonnie chucked.  "Come back safely."

 "We will," KITT said, sincerely hoping he wouldn't have to break his promise.

 

Bonnie watched KITT speed off into the distance, her face quivering slightly as a tear rolled down her red cheek.

 

The mission, to apprehend four armed bank robbers, scheduled to rob the Bank of America, in a coastal town, at 12:33 that afternoon.  The Bank Manager had been notified, but the police had not, as it had been discovered the bandits had help from crooked cops and no risks were being taken.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

  "How you feelin', Kitt?"

  "Twenty six."

  "What?"

  "That's how many times you've asked me.  I'm truly touched by your concern, Michael, but really, I'm fine."

Michael smiled.  "That's good, Buddy," he said softly.  "How about some music?  Your choice."

  "So this is what it takes to be free of your music."

Michael smiled, chuckled and shook his head. "What would you like to hear?"

There was a pause before KITT spoke.  "Michael, y' know that's the first thing I ever said to you?"

  "...Hey yeah it is too ... Well now it's your turn."

  "Mmm... Enya," KITT said.

Michael's mind was miles away.  "Uhh,  what?"

  "Enya," Kitt repeated.  "I like her music."

He accessed the song "Anywhere Is," from his Music Database and the song began to play.  Michael listened to the words, convinced they had some meaning for KITT.

  ‘I took a turn and turned to begin a new beginning ... Still looking for the answer, I cannot find the finish ... It's either this or that way, it's one way or another.  It should be one direction, it could be on reflection ... The turn I have just taken, the turn that I was making ... I might be just beginning, I might be near the end.’

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

  "Better go into Silent Mode, Kitt," Michael said, as they approached the town.

  "Just what I was thinking."

  "Great minds think alike," Michael said with a smile as he parked KITT in front of the bank.  It was 12:20.

  "Surveillance Mode," Michael said.

KITT's Surveillance Mode beeped, flickered, then went dark.  "I... I can't ... I'm sorry, Michael."

  "It's okay, Buddy."

But KITT didn't think it was.  He hoped no more of his abilities went, but knew that was just wishful thinking.

  "Just tell me when four suss looking men enter the bank."

  "Gotcha ... and Michael‑"

  "I know. Be careful."

Michael patted KITT's roof.  "You too, Buddy," and he walked into the bank, not wanting to think that KITT wouldn't be able to be his partner for much longer.

 

KITT kept his optics peeled harder then ever.  So far he hadn't seen anything out of the ordinary or suspicious.  He felt vulnerable like this.  What if he missed something important?  *You don't have the luxury of second guessing yourself, Kitt,*  he told himself.  *Michael needs you.*

KITT didn't want to leave Michael, but knew he had no choice.   He'd found out his Micro Jam function had gone now too.  He didn't want to know how inefficient he'd become.  He'd given up on systems checks.  They were too depressing and he knew he was deteriorating with each passing second.  As for his telephone tapping capabilities, they had long gone ... It was embarrassing so say the least and he felt inadequate, although he knew it was no fault of his own, he'd give anything to be well again.  He hated feeling so helpless and knowing things would only get worse didn't improve KITT's state of mind.  He sighed inwardly and hoped he didn't let Michael down in his present condition.

 

Knight entered the bank and scanned the area ‑ there was a good chance the bogies were already here, but no.  All was well ‑ for the moment.  Michael's attention was drawn to a pretty blond.  He knew he shouldn't be thinking of women, both in the urgency of the mission and the state KITT was in.  He didn't want to think about the pain of never being with his friend again, hearing his voice ... Turbo Boosting ... KITT’s wisecracks ¼ Perhaps his mind focused on the pretty blond to take his mind off KITT, but it didn't work.

 

KITT didn't have to wait long before the four seemingly inconspicuous men entered the bank building and contacted Michael, grateful his link to Michael's wristwatch was still operable.

 

The three clicks from KITT told Michael he was about to have company.  His mind snapped away from the strapping young blond and for a moment from KITT, as he prepared himself.

 

If one had not been prepared and, forewarned and informed, the four bandits may have passed for customers.  Two joined the queue, the other two walked to the ledge and pretended to write out withdrawal slips.  Ironic, that.

  "Your cue, Kitt," Michael whispered into his black specialised watch.

  "THIS IS THE POLICE!!!" Kitt's voice boomed.

Michael wanted to smile.  KITT's voice was so familiar to him, yet this trick always worked.  A twinge of sadness, as Michael knew he wouldn't be hearing KITT's voice for much longer.  He saw three of the four men tense, and jerk slightly, at KITT's statement, as well as confused looks from the few bank customers whom the bank wasn't able to get to leave without arising the bandits' suspicions.

One of the men who had joined the queue reached into his jacket and started to pull out a gun.

  "Nobody move."

The man was approached by the pretty young blonde Michael had ogled earlier.  She drew a gun ‑ and for a moment, Michael thought she was one of them ‑ and pointed it at the bandido drawing his gun.

  "Not so fast, Blondie." One of the men at the bench drew his gun and readied to fire. 

By this time pandemonium had broken loose with frightened customers not knowing which way to run.  Fortunately there weren't many innocents in front of the counters.

  "Lookout!" Michael yelled as the second man fired at the blond. She moved just in time and the blast took her in the shoulder.

Michael tackled the thug to the floor.  Some of the customers had fled, but one father with his small daughter stayed huddled in the corner.

Michael bested his first adversary and was set upon by another.

  "Michael ... Michael ..." came KITT's concerned voice through the comlink.

  "I'm ... fine ... Kitt ..." Michael said, avoiding punches, and struggling with his opponent who was puzzled for a moment at the voice coming out of Michael's watch, which gave Michael all the advantage he needed to take him out.

  "Thanks, Kitt."

  "Pleasure."

Michael grabbed the unconscious bandit's gun and pointed it at the third bank robber who hadn't a chance to go for his gun.  The fourth bandit fled.

  "KITT, bogie, side entrance."

  "I'm already on it," KITT said, reversing around the side of the building, the bandit running smack bang into him, falling onto the pavement where he was apprehended.

  "It's down town with you, Mister," KITT said, the robber quite perplexed at being stopped by a talking Trans Am.

 

Michael and a squad of newly arrived police officers apprehended the four criminals.  They then emerged from the bank, Michael saw  three other police officers hand-cuffed and being shunted into police cars.  Michael also saw the injured blond being taken out on a stretcher and approached her.

  "You all right?"

  "Yeah," she said.  "Thanks to you.  If I hadn't'a ducked, that bullet could'a been in my head."  She winced a little as she moved.

  "Hey, easy..." Michael said, knowing exactly how painful being shot was.  "I'm Michael Knight."

  "Oh, so you're the FLAG operative.  I heard you were black..."

  "Ohh, that's my partner, Kitt ..."

  "Annie Beau ... To tell you the truth, when I first saw you looking at me, I thought you were one of them..."

  "Thanks," Michael said with a smile.  "You miss nothing."

  "It's my job.  I may look like a rookie, but I've got seven years experience under my bra."

Michael laughed.

  "But," Annie said, "one can never be too careful.  A friend of my partners was killed that way ... He never stops talking about him.  From what I've heard he was a great cop."

  "What was his name?"

  "Michael Long ... You ever hear about him?"

A wave of sadness overtook Michael.  "Yeah."

He thought briefly back to his former life as that police officer.  He'd lost his close partner and was about to lose one who was even closer.  The world thought Michael Arthur Long had died that evening in Reno ... Although it had taken time to become accustomed to it, he loved his new life as Michael Knight and had grown accustomed to it, but now it was about to be ripped apart again.  What would this life be without KITT?

  "Michael, you okay?" Annie asked.

  "Sure, just got a lot on my mind that's all ... My partner's very sick."

  "Oh.  Hope he gets better."

  "Yeah, so do I," Michael said sadly.

He patted Annie's good shoulder.  "Take it easy," he said.  "I'll be back."

Annie smiled.  "Thanks."

 

Michael left to find KITT.

  "How're you feelin', buddy?"

  "A little tired, but apart from that, okay."

Michael patted his roof.  "You take it easy for a while.  Looks like everything's fine and dandy here now."

  "I'm glad.  I was worried about you in there."

  "I know, thanks, Buddy."  *And I'm worried about you too.*

  "I'll be fine," KITT said, as though sensing Michael's thoughts.

Knight smiled, but it wasn't a happy one and he decided to change the subject of KITT's impending fate.

  "I've gotta go get some money from the ATM," he said.

  "What happened to that hundred dollars you drew yesterday?"

  "Well..."

  "You haven't spent it already have you?  Michael, you're terrible!"

Michael smiled and shook his head.  "So sue me."  Although he knew KITT was trying his best to cheer him up, but all Michael could think of was how much he'd miss KITT's wisecracks.

  "I promise I'll go easy this time."

  "I've heard that one before."

  "Well ... I had to pay some bills and stuff ..."

  "And stuff.  I've heard that before too."

Michael smiled and forced depression out of his mind.  KITT wouldn't want to spend the little time he had left with a moping human. "Thanks, Buddy."

  "What for?"

  "Cheerin' me up."

  "Finally." 

Michael could almost see KITT smile and he chuckled.  He knew KITT didn't want to spend his last days moping either, but deep inside, Michael knew KITT was afraid.  He could almost feel KITT's fear and hoped that his automotive friend at least talked to him about it.  That at least might make it a little easier, but Michael didn't want to push him and he had a feeling KITT would talk to him when he was ready.  KITT had been close to death before ‑ arguably killed twice, but the damage had always been repairable, but this time neither Bonnie nor the top FLAG technicians could repair him.  Michael scarcely thought about the $150 he slid into his wallet from the ATM.  All the money in the world couldn't save KITT.  Paper, pieces of metal and plastic.  It could not buy life.

  "I have to check on Annie," Michael said, "and no, I'm not going to hit on her."

At times, KITT wished Michael could see him smile.  "I know... You don't have to explain yourself to me, Michael."

However, he saw Michael smile. 

  "Thanks, Kitt.  I won't be too long, I promise."

  "Okay, Michael.  I'll be over there by the park."

Michael looked across the street.  "Kitt, you've never been overly fond of the ocean ... Change of heart?"

  "I ... I'm not sure.  It seems so quiet and tranquil out there and I could do with a rest ... Oh, Michael ... this is so humiliating ... I feel so useless ..."

  "Kitt, you know that's not true.  None of this is your fault... Though I know how you must feel ..." Michael spoke gently.  "You need some rest, so have some and you'll feel better for it.  Trust me.  Don't push yourself.  No one expects you to do that."

  "Thank you for your vote of confidence, Michael, but with my capabilities going ... I feel so inadequate..."

Michael felt as though KITT was crying.  He ran his hand over friend's roof.  "Do you want me to stay with you?  I can call the hospital and ask how Annie's doing."

  "No, Michael ... With the deepest respect ... I need some time alone."

Michael gave a knowing smile.  "I understand, Kitt.  This isn't easy on any of us, especially on you."

He gave KITT's hood a soft pat.  "Just call me if you need me, okay?"

  "Okay, Michael.  Thank you."

Knight smiled as he watched KITT drive away and park himself by the seaside, in front of a small deserted recreation park.  He smiled sadly, then turned to walk to the hospital, hoping KITT could come to terms with his fear ... but that was hard enough for anyone with an impending, inevitable death sentence ... but for KITT it seemed more frightening.  He was one of a kind ‑ there were no others like him, unless you included KARR who had ceased to function.  KITT wasn't supposed to die.  He'd faced destruction before, but never like this.  Michael didn't know what he'd do without KITT.  Part of him wanted to stay with FLAG.  They had made him who he was today ‑ without FLAG and Wilton Knight's dream, of a non profit crime fighting organisation, he'd be dead.  'One Man Can Make a Difference.' Wilton had said.

  "And so can one car," Michael said, looking sadly at KITT before he turned to corner and carried on to the hospital.  He could stay with FLAG, but it just wouldn't be the same without KITT ‑ sure FLAG could create another car, but nothing could ever replace that extra special Trans Am.

 

Michael spent a while with Annie, her husband thanking him profusely for the damage not being any worse.  Michael was glad she was all right and seeming to be recovering quite well.  He was surprised to find she'd been married for two years, not that he planned to hit on her in this condition, but she seemed to know exactly where her life was leading, which Michael admired in someone so young.  He stayed a little longer at the hospital than he would have liked, in respect for KITT's privacy.

 

KITT remained parked by the sea for some time, grateful the day was slightly overcast and so there weren't many people about, as he slowly recharged his power packs, however he knew that wouldn't do him much good in the end.

The rest had done him some good.  He didn't feel nearly as tired as he had previously, and the slow recycling technique Bonnie had taught him to use in times of stress proved to be quite calming.

KITT found himself thinking about his prototype KARR.  KARR had died three times, so to speak.  He was deactivated and blown up twice ... Did he feel the fear KITT felt now?  KITT hadn't thought about it then, and KARR's 'deaths' had been instant.  He wasn't suddenly told he had one week to live, but still KITT found himself wishing he and KARR could've come to some sort of understanding and reconciled their differences, but at the time, that wasn't thought possible.

 

The soft oceanic breeze didn't bother KITT as the sea air usually did ‑ he actually found it quite pleasant.  As he listened to the tranquil sound of the waves breaking upon the shore, KITT shut down some of his non‑essential systems and rested.

 

KITT heard a faint squeak and his attention drew to the park opposite him.  With his rear‑vision, he saw a young female perched on a swing, swaying back and forth.  Although KITT had wanted to be alone, she was not disturbing him, not that many humans would consider that a car needed solitude - KITT was probably the only car that did.

As she swung, her layered white dress flowed gently in the wind, rippling with every swing.  KITT found the rhythmic back and forth motion of her swing to be quite tranquil and therapeutic and continued to watch her, grateful no one would accuse a car of staring.  He smiled to himself as he watched her, seeming to be in her own world, swaying back and forth, back and forth.

  "Some where ... over the rainbow, way up high..."

At first it surprised KITT that someone would start singing out of the blue, as the woman on the swing continued to sing the sweet melody.

  "Some where over the rainbow, skies are blue, and the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true... Someday I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me ... That's where you'll find me..."

KITT listened to the words and even though the song was from a classic fantasy motion picture and KITT had heard the song before, but now the words seemed to have more meaning for him.

  "Some where over the rainbow, blue birds fly ... If happy little blue birds fly over the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?..."

The fear started creeping up on KITT again, like a stalking predator, but he knew it had always been there.  He tried to shut it out and centre himself as Bonnie had taught him to do, but he knew he couldn't escape the fear, not even in Super Pursuit Mode, which KITT discovered as he had suspected was now inoperable, making him feel even more inadequate and he knew it wouldn't get any better, despite Michael, Bonnie and Devon's arguing that they loved him all the same.

Was there life after death?  Was there nothing after death?  Was resurrection real or a myth?  Although a small part of him was curious, KITT would much rather remain in the land of the living ‑ but he knew that wasn't an option.  He wanted to remain clam in the face of his impending fate as he knew panicking would only make his limited run time shorter and he also knew it wouldn't do any good, but the incessant gnawing fear refused to be ignored.

 

KITT thought he heard someone approach, saw it was Michael and He felt quite relieved.  He had needed some time alone, but now Michael was back, he felt a little less afraid.  KITT also saw the swinging girl had left and became puzzled.  He hadn't noticed her leave, she was there a moment ago.

He opened his door for Michael.

 "How ya feelin', Buddy?  Still tired?"

  "No, Michael.  I'm fine now."

Michael climbed inside.  "Fine?"

  "Well as fine as I can be concerning my current status."

Michael gave an understanding smile and patted KITT's wheel.

  "How's Annie?" KITT asked, hoping to change the subject.

  "The surgeon removed the bullet and she's going to be fine."

  "That's good."

There was silence for a while as KITT drove down the street.  Outside, on the footpath, he saw the barefooted woman he'd seen swinging in the park, her white dress flowing in the breeze.

  "There she is again, Michael."

  "Who?" Michael looked around, puzzled.

  "The lady I saw in the park on the swing.  Didn't you see her leave the park?  She left shortly before you came to fetch me."

  "No, I didn't see anyone ... and Kitt, I don't see anyone now."

KITT realised the girl had gone.  "I don't understand.  She couldnt've run off that quickly."

  "Maybe she went into one of those shops," Michael suggested.

  "Perhaps," KITT said, but he was sure he would have noticed, or was his concentration going now too?  He really hated this... On top of the fear and the guilt, despite the constant consoling ... Was he losing his mind now too?  KITT shut his optical sensors for a few moments and tried to clear his mind of doubts.  Not that it did a whole world of good.  He realised as much as he changed and avoided the subject, it wasn't going to go away.

  "Is there anywhere particular you'd like to go, Michael?" he asked.  "... this ... could be our last ride together."

Michael looked sadly at KITT's voice box.  "I know, Kitt, but I should be asking you that.  So where to, partner?  You're in the driver's seat."

KITT gave a small chuckle.  "Well, I've always wanted to see the moon."

Michael smiled.  "So have I, buddy.  Let's go there."

KITT wished he could and for a moment wondered what it would be like to drive on the moon.  On Earth, however, dusk was beginning to set in.

  "Let's go home," he said.

  "Your choice, Buddy."

  "Whether or not I make it is another story."

  "Kitt, don't talk like that ... Man, I wish there was something I could do ..."

  "I know," KITT said, as he started to drive down the road.  "So do I, but let's just enjoy the little time we do have left together."

  "You got it, Pal."

KITT was glad the road wasn't crowded, not that other automobiles made him feel as though they were staring ‑ they couldn't ‑ but right now, KITT was grateful to have the road mostly to himself and Michael and went into Silent Mode.  It was less of a strain.

  "Michael ..." KITT spoke softly, and paused for a short while.  "...I ... I'm ... I'm scared..."

Michael knew this was coming, and he had run through numerous things to say in his head, but right now he didn't think a simple there, there would do any good. 

He gently squeezed KITT's wheel.  "I know, Buddy.  Thanks for telling me.  I'm scared too."

  "I had to tell you ... You, Bonnie and Devon are the only ones I feel I can really turn to and share my personal feelings with... you're my family."

Michael smiled warmly.  "And you're part of ours, Kitt."

  "Thank you, Michael."

  "I can't just pat you on the back and say there, there KITT, everything's gonna be all right ... All I can do is stay with you..."

  "That's all I ask, Michael.  It's very hard on all of us."

KITT drove on.

  "Rest if you need to, Kitt," Michael said.

  "I feel all right for now," he said.  "Michael, do you mind if I listened to a song?"

  "'Course not.  What were y' thinkin' of?"

  "Over The Rainbow, Judy Garland."

  "Why that one?"

  "I ... I .. I just‑"

Michael smiled.  "You don't have to explain, Kitt."

KITT searched his song Database, found 'The Wizard Of Oz' soundtrack and began to play the song, listening intently to the words and their meaning.  Michael sympathised with KITT as he listened too.  Perhaps there was some special place beyond the Rainbow.

 

A few moments after the song had finished, KITT began to feel a little strange ... as if there was someone besides Michael inside him ... another presence.  KITT suddenly skidded to a halt.

  "Kitt!" Michael exclaimed worriedly.

KITT said nothing at first and ran his scanner twice, which he was glad to say was one of his few functions which were still operable, but it told him Michael was the only being inside him, but his optics told him that the blonde woman he'd seen in the park on the footpath, sat in the middle of his back seat.  KITT felt afraid at first, but the expression on her face seemed to be one of understanding, compassion and curiosity and she reached forward, then withdrew it as Michael spoke.

  "Kitt?" Michael sounded worried.  "You still with me, Buddy?"

  "Yes, Michael."  He noted Michael's inward sigh of relief.  KITT spoke quietly.  "I find this hard to explain, but the female I saw in the park in the street is ... sitting on my back seat."

Out of curiosity, Michael slowly peered around.  "I hate to say this, Kitt, but there's no one there."

  "She's gone again ... I saw her, Michael, I really did."

  "I believe you, Kitt ... but maybe you're ... I don't know... hallucinating?"

  "You think so?  That could be a logical possibility.  Is that what cars do when they die?"

Michael almost cried at KITT's question, almost childlike in its innocence.  "I don't know, Kitt," he said sadly.

  "Well this 'hallucination' sang 'Over the Rainbow.'"

  "She did?"

  "Yes, while she sang in the park ... She seemed so real ..."

  "I've heard hallucinations can be like that."

KITT continued to drive.

  "There she is again, Michael, on top of that hill.  I know you can't see her, but she's there."

KITT slowed down and looked up at her, her beautiful white dress flowing in the breeze.

  "I believe you, Kitt.  You're not going mad.  What's she doing?"

  "Looking down at me.  It's as though she's ..."

  "Don't be scared, Kitt.  She's just a hallucination."

  "I'm not so sure, Michael.  It's as if ... she's trying to help me."

  "Maybe she is, Kitt ... I wish I could."

  "I know, Michael."

KITT drove on.

  "We'll rendezvous with Bonnie and Devon in the FLAG Unit in about forty.  Maybe Bonnie can at least give you something to help..."

  "Like an aspirin?  I have an engine ache."

Michael chuckled.  "Kitt, I'm gonna miss you, Buddy."

  "And I you, Michael, not to mention Bonnie and Devon.  They're like mother and father to me."

  "I know, Kitt.  Hell, we're all gonna miss you."

Michael gently stroked KITT's wheel.  "You're probably sick of me sayin' this, but I wish there was somethin' ... *anything* we could do."

  "I know, Buddy."

KITT continued down the long road.

  "Michael," KITT said, after a few meters. "There's something I have to ask you."

  "Fire away, Kitt."

  "I'm sorry I have to ask you this, but maybe you can help me..."

  "Sure, anything, Buddy.  What is it?"

  "When you were shot ... when you were Michael Long... I wouldn't ask this if I didn't need to ... I'm sorry..."

  "Don't apologise, Kitt.  I understand ... How did I feel ... Well, when she pointed the gun at me, I hoped she wouldn't fire ‑ that it was just an empty threat ... but when she did... well there was shock, pain, and then black.  For a moment I thought about what I'd done with my life and what I could have done and I remember my last thought being that I could have been something more."

  "You are, Michael.  Thanks for telling me."

  "It's fine, Kitt.  It's nice, actually to tell someone ... And then the next thing I remember, I woke up in the FLAG hospital as Michael Knight with Wilton Knight and Devon standing by my side.  Even though I had a chance to start over, part of me missed who I was.  I had nightmares for months afterwards about the shooting in Reno, but when I came to terms with my new face, new identity and my new partner," Michael smiled, "and those nightmares didn't scare me anymore."

  "So for you there was life after death so to speak."

  "Yes, I guess there was."

  "Maybe I'll come back as a De Lorean."

Michael laughed.  "Kitt, don't ever change."

  "I don't plan to ... Oo.. My scanner indicates a large fallen tree up ahead."

  "Go around it," Michael advised.

  "Turbo Boost's shot to hell, but my molecular bondage shell could take the impact..."

  "Kitt, you know you shouldn't strain yourself and you don't need to show off to me... I know how hard this is for you."

  "All right, Michael, I'll go around the thing, but this is embarrassing."

Michael gave a smile and patted KITT's dash as the sleek black Trans‑AM swerved around the log, but not without with his unique finesse.  Michael couldn't help but smile.

 

Five minutes had passed.  KITT began to slow down, then stopped in the middle of the road.

  "Kitt, you need a break?"

KITT sighed. "I ... I'm sorry, Michael ... But I ... I can't go any ... further..."

  "Kitt, the Mobile Unit's less than thirty minutes away ... Bonnie might be able to... at least give you something to‑"

  "Michael, you know there's nothing she ‑ or anyone can do."

  "Kitt, please, just hang in there ..."

  "Believe me, Michael ... I want to, but ... I can't  ... I'm sorry ..."

  "Don't be sorry, Kitt.  It's not your fault..."  Michael's eyes brimmed with tears.  "It's all right." He gently squeezed his friend's wheel.

  "At the risk of saying something corny, it's been really great knowing you."

Michael managed a smile.  "Kitt it's been great knowin' you too.  There's no one in the Universe I could've chosen to be a better friend."  A tear rolled down his cheek.

  "Thank you, Michael," KITT said sincere.  "I feel the same."

Michael could feel KITT shivering.  "I'm sorry I can't do anything for you..."

  "Just stay with me," KITT said gently.

  "Always, Kitt."

  "Michael ... promise me ... you'll take care of yourself ... even on those dangerous missions..."

  "I always do."

  "Liar."

Michael managed a small chuckle.  "Kitt, you make me laugh even at the worst of times."

  "I'm glad ... and you still ... haven't promised me."

  "I promise, Kitt, to take good care of myself."

  "Thank you ... and also ... promise me ... you'll cut down on all those fatty fast foods."

Again, Michael managed a smile.  "Okay."

A short pause followed.

  "M... Michael ..."

Michael could tell KITT was terrified, by the shivering in his voice.  "I'm here, Kitt ... Maybe the other side will be better..."

  "I ... don't ... want to leave ... you ... Michael ... but... n..no choice..."

  "I know, Kitt."  Michael knew KITT was growing weaker with each passing second.

  "M ... ohh ... good ... bye ... Mich...ael ..."

  "No, Kitt ..." Michael shook his head emphatically and more tears flowed.  "I'm sorry, I'm making this even harder for you..."

  "Take ... care..."

  "I promise."

  "... I love you ... Michael."

Michael shut his eyes and more tears came.  "The feeling's mutual, Kitt."

A long silence followed.

  "Kitt?  ... Kitt?..."

No answer.

  "*KITT!* ... No ... no ... nooooh ... Kitt ..."

Michael had given up trying to force his tears away.  "Kitt..."

The voice box remained blank.  Michael tried pushing Kitt's function buttons ... Turbo Boost ...Surveillance Mode, Micro Jam... Nothing even gave the slightest click.  Michael even tried switching to manual, but even that had no effect.  KITT remained dark.  Michael refused to stop crying.  The realisation painfully hit home.  KITT was dead. 

Michael didn't want to think of what he'd do now.  He remained inside KITT's body, his head resting on the wheel.  His best friend was gone.

 

*  *  *

 

He looked down from what appeared to be above and became confused, and the he saw her again.

  "You ... I ... I don't understand ..."

The woman in the white dress smiled warmly.  "Do not be afraid, Kitt," she said, her voice soft as silky kitten fur.

KITT looked down again.  It was as though he was floating high above the trees, looking down on himself ... and he saw Michael inside his body.

  "He's crying ..." KITT said.  "So I'm dead?"

  "In a sense."

  "Who ... are you? ... An angel?..."

She smiled.  "I am Kita, Angel of Compassion, Understanding and Second Chances."

  "You appeared in the park ..."

  "Yes."

KITT's spiritual form, a cluster of glowing white, subtle red and golden yellow sparkles circled her.

  "You tried to prepare me for this transition.  You tried to help me..."

  "Yes."

  "Thank you ... I guess..."

Kita smiled.  "It was extremely difficult and frightening for you... more so than for a human, you being so unique.  I requested permission to assist you."

  "From God?" KITT asked, unsure.

  "Some people call the Divine Force that, others, The Universe... many cultures on this planet and many cultures on millions of others ... There are many different names.  Some believe the Force has a gender, some don't.  It depends on your belief.  I have been given permission to give you a choice, Kitt... You may either return and be as you were - we will cleanse your Earthen body, or you may enter the Spiritual Plane, free of the limitations of the Physical."

KITT thought.  It wasn't a decision which could be made in an instant.  He was curious about the Spiritual Plane, now he knew that it did indeed exist ... He hadn't given all that much thought to spirituality as he'd never thought that he'd... well die.  The times he had ceased to function it had happened so quickly, he hadn't time to think.  KITT became aware of his surroundings above, alight with thousands of swirling, blending colours, as if a rainbow had splashed the entire sky.  It felt as though he had been touched by a rainbow.  It was truly wonderful... As though the night had become day.

But then he looked down to his innate physical form and Michael, still crying, sitting inside the black Pontiac.

KITT paused before he spoke.    "... As curious as I am to explore the beauty of the Spiritual Realm ... I can't leave him."

  "Your love for the human Michael is admirable." 

KITT's glowing form seemed to smile. 

  "But you must make this decision for yourself.  Michael must choose his own path and you must choose yours."

  "I know," KITT said, "but I'm feeling as though my time down there isn't finished yet ... There are many things I need to learn ... and again, I can't leave Michael.  Thank you for showing me a part of your world, but I need to go back."

Kita smiled.  "You have made the right choice."

  "This was a ... spiritual test?" KITT asked.  "What if I had chosen otherwise?"

  "You would not have.  The choice you have made is the right one for you at this time."

  "I understand.  Thank you for giving me this chance."

  "It is my pleasure.  Your fear and uncertainty pained me, Kitt.  You are so young and unique, and this world needs you."

  "Thank you," KITT said, sincere.  "I'm honoured."

Kita smiled and gently touched KITT's spiritual form.

Another being materialised next to Kita, seemingly standing on thin air, a slender male form, surrounded by a subtle yellow brownish glow, his shoulder length brown hair seeming to flow in the non existent wind.  He wore old style robes, gentle yellow-white in colour.  He looked at KITT's spiritual form, his golden eyes full of compassion.   "I am Serapis Bey," he said, his gentle voice love itself.  "Ascended Master of Creativity, Understanding and Unconditional Love."  Serapis extended an arm.  A beam of bright light shot from his hand and engulfed KITT's automotive form.  "Your body is now cleansed from all impurities."

  "I can't thank you enough," KITT said to Kita and Serapis.

The beautiful Ascended Master smiled warmly.  "Thanks is not necessary.  All we ask is, as you have done - continue to use your life on this physical plane wisely."

  "You have my promise," KITT said.

Serapis held his hands out in a cupped fashion, and KITT flew to the gentle being.  The Ascended Master gently kissed KITT's spiritual form and released him and smiled as the subtle glowing sparkles flowed into the black car as the two angelic forms watched him.

 

*  *  *

 

Michael sat, slumped over the wheel, sitting in the driver's seat, sobbing quietly.

  "Damn ... damn ..." he cursed.  "Why did this have to happen?..." His face screwed up in emotional agony.  "Damn it, Kitt, you were my best friend!..."

  "Glad to hear it, Michael."

  "It's okay, Kitt," Michael said, absent mindedly looking out of the window ... and then he slowly looked around.  "Kitt?"

  "No, Michael, you're not hearing things ... I'm back ... I think."

  "Kitt? ..."

  "Yes, Michael.  It's me."

  "Kitt!!!  It's really you! ... You're okay?..."

  "I feel fine."

  "**Kitt!  Oh my God!!   Kitt!!!**"

KITT appeared to smile.  "It's great to have you back too, Michael."

Michael hugged his friend's steering wheel tightly. "Aww, Kitt..." 

  "If I had arms, I'd hug you too, Michael."

Michael leaned forward and gave KITT's voice box a big melodramatic kiss.

KITT chuckled.  "I've never seen you so happy ... Except maybe when you score with a pretty girl."

Michael laughed.  "It's great to have ya back, Partner ..."

  "It's great to be back."

 

Shortly after, KITT and Michael saw the FLAG Mobile Unit's headlights approaching in the distance.  The huge black truck set on automatic drive, drew closer.  Bonnie practically flew out of it before it stopped and ran to KITT full pelter.

  "Kitt! ... Kitt!..."

  "I'm fine now, Bonnie."

The panic, worry, anguish and turmoil vanished in a second, but she did look a tad confused.  "Michael called and told me you were..."

  "I was, actually."

Bonnie opened up KITT's hood and peered inside.   "Kitt you look as good as the day you were created.  That glitch in your servos seems to be fixed ... I'd meant to fix it before all this began."

  "I feel great, Bonnie," KITT said.

  "So your systems sorted themselves out after all that?"

  "Well, not exactly ... I believe I had what humans call a 'near death' experience."  KITT began to share it with Michael and Bonnie.  "It was strange at first seeing myself, and you down here, Michael ... But the colours were truly beautiful ... wonderful ... and the beings I was with, Kita and Serapis Bey, their love was *incredible...* I've always wondered what such an experience would be like ... If there was anything after death..."

  "And now you know?" Bonnie said.

  "My feeling is it's different for everyone," KITT said, "but I was glad to learn that death isn't the end of everything."

  "It's reassuring, that's for sure," Bonnie said.  "Thanks for telling us, Kitt."

  "My pleasure.  I had to share it with you."

KITT saw Kita and Serapis atop a high cliff, again Kita's angelic white mesh dress flowing in the breeze.

  "Do you see them, Michael, Bonnie?"

Michael looked up and almost cried.  "Yes, Kitt, I do."

  "I see them too," Bonnie said in amazement at the beautiful spiritual sight.

  "She wasn't an hallucination," KITT said.  "She's an Angel."

  "I believe you," Michael said.

Bonnie placed her hand on KITT's dash.

  "Well, what do you wanna do now, Kitt?" Michael asked.

  "I believe we should call Devon."

  "Good idea..."

 

Devon was as thrilled as Michael and Bonnie had been to hear the wonderful news.

  "I'll tell you all about it when I get back to headquarters," KITT promised.

  "It's wonderful to have you back.  I'll inform FLAG."

  "Thank you, Devon," KITT said.  "It's great to be back in action again."

The older man smiled.

 

Michael couldn't help himself.  "Ooh ...It's so great to have ya back, Buddy!"  He rubbed KITT's dash furiously and he swore he saw the voice box smile.  "I promise I'll never tell you to shut up ever again."

  "I'll believe that when I hear it."

Both Michael and Bonnie laughed.

  "I'll remind him," she said.

Michael smiled and shook his head.

  "So, where to, Guys?" KITT asked.

  "Your choice, Kitt," Bonnie smiled.

  "All right ... Second star on the right and straight on till morning."

  "You got it, Kitt."

Michael and Bonnie smiled as KITT started up and drove along the deserted road, then suddenly Turbo Boosted into the night for no other reason than sheer joy.

 

 

*

 

 

PS - for those of you wondering, I did have Serapis Bey's permission to include him in my story.  :)

 

 

Received one vote in the Edward Awards for "Best Newcomer Story" - 2001


 

Back to Knight Rider Page