Disclaimers:  Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

 I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

Summary: Thanks to Skywarp and Starscream, Optimus Prime and Megatron are trapped in another dimension in an uncharted Universe and must work together to escape it and the titanic, incredibly powerful being who resides there  … and along the way, learn valuable life lessons. 

Author's note: Hats off to the She-Ra ~ Princess of Power episode Into the Dark Dimension for the inspiration for this fanfic. 

Fic recently revised.  One of the author's favourites.

 

Rating - PG

~~~~~~~~

QUEST FOR FREEDOM

 

   "This is it!" Megatron exclaimed. "It won't be long before total victory is mine! Press the attack!"

Relentless, the Decepticons fired upon the Autobots, their enemies darting for cover behind metal slabs.

  "There's gotta be something we can do, Prime ..."

  "No, Prowl, we're badly outnumbered. We've got to stay back until - Prowl!" Optimus caught his comrade as he went down. Upon inspection, Optimus became puzzled. Strange, he thought, why are the Decepticons using stun blasts?

   "Keep firin'," came Frenzy's voice. "We got 'em pinned down."

   "I've had enough 'o this!" yelled Ironhide. “So what if we're outnumbered? I’d rather go out fightin'!" He leapt into plain sight, blasted the Decepticon Cassette, then took out three more Decepticons and flung himself back. "That wasn't so, hard," he boasted polishing his blaster.

  "Don't show off yet, Ironhide. " Optimus Prime pointed skyward. "Look!"

Three Decepticon jets, Dirge, Dreadwind and Darkwing began firing at the Autobots. Ironhide took aim.

 

Within the Decepticon fortress, Soundwave approached his leader.

  "All is in readiness, Megatron," he informed. "The Autobots are held back."

  "Excellent ... Now all we need is a diversion. I want Optimus Prime.  I have a surprise for him ..."

Megatron gave an evil chuckle as he ordered Onslaught and Brawl to capture Bumblebee.   "This will be a perfect diversion ..."

 

In the next room, Skywarp's lips curved into a cruel smile.  "I can't wait to use my neutron ray cannon on Prime..."

  "Huh!  You couldn't blast an android with that device," insulted Starscream. "Besides, we're using my crystal energy disruptor!"

   "I'll blast you with it if y' don't shut up!" Skywarp snapped.

 

Prowl began to regain consciousness.

  "I'm without a solution," he said. "Any ideas, Prime? How are we..."

  "We will find a way," his leader assured.

 

Unaware of the impending danger, Bumblebee fought to defend his friends.  He despised fighting, but felt he must to defend himself and his friends. He used a small pistol, set to stun. The two Combaticons easily out manoeuvred him and captured him quickly.  In the commotion, Bumblebee dropped his defence and tried to free himself, but was no match for their superior strength.

  "Scream for help?" Brawl demanded.

  "And endanger my friends?!  Not a chance!"

  "I'll rip you to shreds!" Brawl snarled, tightening his grip around Bumblebee's arm.

The small Autobot winced in pain.

  "No," Onslaught said.  "Megatron wants him.  Alive - for now."

  "Aww…That's no fun," Brawl complained.

  "Fun?" Bumblebee said.  "If this is your idea of fun, don't invite me to your birthday party, will you?"

Brawl hollered with laughter.  "Now that would be fun.  We can blindfold each other and play 'blast the Autobot to smithereens' … and the winner gets his head!"

Bumblebee gulped. "Whatever happened to 'pin the tail on the donkeyoid?'"

The small yellow Autobot struggled to keep up his brave face.

  "Scream for help or I swear, I'll-"

  "Brawl, Megatron wants him alive."

Bumblebee felt a tad relieved.

  "Yeah," the belligerent Combaticon said, "but he didn't specify the condition the Autobot had to be in.  I could easily tear him limb from limb … and it wouldn't damage his central processor."

Bumblebee swallowed.

 

Alerted by the commotion above, Optimus looked into the sky and jerked.  "Bumblebee!  I must help him… Cover me, Ironhide."

  "You got it, Prime."

Optimus Prime ran to a bent metal pole, sticking out the side of the fortress, swung himself around, then somersaulted into the high opening of the Decepticon fortress, landing in front of Megatron.

  "Impressive, Prime, but I’m afraid the intergalactic gymnastic championships are over.”

  "Release Bumblebee, Megatron.”

  "As you wish." Megatron signalled Onslaught and Brawl to throw Bumblebee from the opening.

  "Don't we even get to stomp him?!" Brawl huffed.

Optimus glared at the Combaticon, his eyes flashing dark blue.  If looks could melt … 

   "Do as I say!" Megatron bellowed.

With enormous reluctance, Brawl hurled Bumblebee.  "I hope he shatters!!"

To his relief, Optimus saw Ironhide catch the little Autobot, just in time, however he felt uneasy - since when did Megatron free his prisoners willingly?  He raised his laser rifle and trained it on the other.

  "Now, call off the attack."

Megatron laughed. "You're hardly in a position to bargain, Prime..."He blasted Optimus' defence form his hands.

  "No distractions … It's just you and me now … and my surprise ..."

Optimus’ unease grew.

  “Just what is this surprise of yours, Megatron?”

  “That would be telling. If I told you it’d hardly be a surprise now, would it?” Megatron smiled as he stood back. 

The wall parted to reveal the black Seeker, sitting at the controls of a nasty looking canon. 

Megatron's mouth curved into an evil smile.  "…Skywarp, do the honours.”

  “With pleasure, Megatron.” He readied the neutron ray cannon.

  “No!” Starscream yelled.

Optimus did a double take.  Was Starscream defending him?

  “MY crystal energy disruptor is much more powerful!"

Figures ... Optimus thought.

  “My neutron ray cannon!” Skywarp argued.

  “MY crystal energy disruptor!“

Optimus searched for an opportunity to escape amidst the commotion.

  “My ray cannon!” Skywarp insisted, petulant.

  “My crystal-“

  “SHUT UP AND SHOOT HIM!! Megatron thundered.

Skywarp trained his weapon on Prime and fired.  As did Starscream.

  “NO!” Megatron yelled.  “Not both of you!”

The weapons energies collided engulfing both Optimus and Megatron.  Both leaders vanished.

  "What?!” Starscream exclaimed.

   “Where did they go?! What happened?!" Skywarp was equally puzzled.

   “This is your fault!” Starscream accused.

   My fault?!  If you hadn’t-“

   “Silence!” Soundwave ordered.  “You are both to blame.”

Reluctantly the Jets quietened and turned to him.

   “Any ideas?” Starscream asked.  “What happened?”

  "I do not know.  It appears the incompatible energy of your weapons caused both Megatron and Optimus Prime to dematerialise."

   "The question is how do we get them back?" Skywarp asked.

Starscream's mouth quirked.  "The question is, do we want to?"

Soundwave glowered, his eyes sparking a dangerous red.  The red Jet swallowed, ever grateful that looks could not kill.

  "What … what … if they were … vaporised or disintegrated?…" Skywarp hesitated to volunteer those thoughts, knowing of Soundwave's concern for his leader.

The exact same thought hit the Decepticon Communications Officer before Skywarp spoke.  He heisted, not sure if he wanted the answer as he pulled out a scanning device.  "Negative…" he said after a while, hoping he masked his relief form the other two. "Both vaporisation and disintegration leave trace residue.  There is nothing."

Again he glared at the Seekers.  "One weapon would have been sufficient to destroy Prime.”

Skywarp glared at Starscream.  “My neutron cannon would have vaporised him!”

   “Yeah?  Well my disruptor would've shattered his crystalline structure from the inside - painfully!"

Soundwave trained his weapon on them. “One more word and I will obliterate you both.”

Neither uttered another syllable.  

*  *  *

 

Optimus Prime and Megatron reappeared, flailing and falling uncontrollably in a multicoloured void.

  "Great, Megatron ...  Your surprise has torn a rift in time and space, drawn us into an unknown dimension, an uncharted region of the Universe and dragged us into a void.  In other words - we don't know where we are, we don't know where we're going, we won't know where we are when we get there and we don’t know how to get back or even if we can."

  "Wonderful… Trapped in a strange dimension with you.  Just what I always wanted!"

  "Surprise, Megatron," Optimus said, deadpan.

The Decepticon Leader grunted.   "How friendly ... The ground's coming to welcome us. Too bad you can't fly, Prime ..."

Megatron laughed as he landed safely. Optimus Prime crashed hard and painfully on the ground.  Damned if he’d give Megatron the satisfaction of that knowledge, he stood without so much as a grunt.

  “That mountain may provide some answers,” he said, pointing to a massive grey mound, many times the size of Everest.

  “Too bad you didn’t bring your hiking boots, Prime.” Megatron made to take off.

 

In the next instant, the two disappeared, and reappeared inside the grey mountain.

  “Any more surprises?”

  “You tell me,” Optimus said.

Megatron glared at him.   "Now to continue our what we begun ... " He grabbed Optimus Prime's shoulder.

Optimus pushed it off.  "No, Megatron.   We must figure out where we are and how in Cybertron we're going to get back to Earth. We appear to be inside some sort of a cavern."

  "Brilliant observation … and who cares where we are!  We can fight anywhere.”

   “How civilised of you,” Optimus said, sarcasm not lost.

   “The only reason I wish to return to that miserable mud ball, is to destroy all you Autobots and then control the entire Universe..."

 "How typically barbaric, but if you'll forget your belligerent boasting for once, you'll realise the severity of our situation - We're trapped in a galaxy far, far away, and no inkling how to return to our own - and although we're both fully charged at present, we don't know where to locate a compatible energy source - if one even exists here.  It is essential we work together."

Megatron grunted.  He despised to admit Optimus was right. 

The Autobot Leader's attention became momentarily diverted by chirps coming from a hole in the ground. Gently, he picked up a small green fleshy creature, which began to play with his hand.  Optimus chucked as he stroked it.

  "Will you stop fooling around with that pathetic creature?!  Unless you're planning on taking a pet back to Earth," Megatron growled, sarcasm evident, "we’ve more pressing concerns."

  "Like being trapped in an alternate dimension and working together to escape?" Optimus said, not without a touch of sarcasm of his own, as he placed the tiny creature back.

A sudden deafening roar knocked both Leaders to the ground.   A massive green creature emerged from a crevice up ahead. Roaring in rage, it wrapped a tentacle, tight around Optimus Prime's waist and hoisted him off the ground.

  "Looks like mummy's angry …" Megatron's laughter erupted in the cavern. "I hope you're delicious, Prime."

The creature's grip tightened as she drew Optimus to her crushing jaws.

  "I meant no harm," Optimus assured.

  "That stupid lummox can't understand you, Prime." He smiled at the creature.  "Thank you.  You've taken care of him for me.  Bon appetite "

As Megatron had surmised, the creature could not understand Optimus, but sensed truth in his words.

 "I didn't harm your children … I would never harm innocent creatures, unlike him.”  Optimus pointed to his adversary.

Megatron glowered, burning to say something, but the way the mother creature glared at him, he decided to bite his tongue unit, having no desire to become desert.

Carefully, the creature set Optimus down.

 "Thank you."

She made a noise of apology and friendship, then disappeared back into the crevice.

Megatron watched her disappear.  "Pity … I'd've enjoyed watching her crunch your metal and suck out your innards."

  "Charming.  I'm sure you would."

  "Now … " Megatron said, "if I avoid anymore Autobot foolishness, I'll get out of here alive.  And now, Prime, let us finish what we started..." He began to raise his fusion cannon.

  "Megatron, have you understood nothing?!" Optimus said, exasperated.  "We must work together!"

  "I will escape this wretched place, return to Earth, destroy the accursed Autobots and rule the-"

A deep laugh emerged from the shadows.

The Decepticon Leader spun, infuriated.  "Who dares interrupt Megatron?!   And the audacity to laugh at me??!!  

SHOW YOURSELF IMMEDIATELY!!"

 

A titanic black creature, much larger than the green one, appeared before them.  He approached , his footsteps thunderous.

  "I am The Star Destroyer, and this is my Realm. A world between worlds. A Universe unknown.  A place neither here nor there. A time between times.  A dimension between yesterday, today and tomorrow. You have trespassed into my domain and you must pay the price."

  "Our presence here is accidental, " Optimus explained. "We..."

 "SILENCE!" roared the Star Destroyer, glaring down at him.  “Or you will be destroyed.

Megatron started to protest.  Optimus raised a hand, cutting him off abruptly.

The humungous creature waved his hand, revealing a doorway inside the cavern.

 "However, travellers I am not completely without mercy … Somewhere inside is a way out... to your world.  All you must do is but find it.  It will not be easy.  If you find it, you are free to leave, but if not, you will both remain here forever enslaved my prisoners."

The Decepticon Leader flew into a furious rage.  "PRISONER?!"  Megatron roared.  "How DARE you attempt to imprison Megatron?!  I will fight

 you to the DEATH!!!  Prepare for termination! --

Without the slightest effort, the Star Destroyer flicked the Decepticon Leader to the hard ground.

The Decepticon Leader stood, moments later.   "I am no ones slave!" he growled.

  "Sometimes we Autobots feel the same way about you, Megatron," Optimus said.

  "Well ... well ... that's ... that's ... different..."

  "Is it?"

Megatron stood.  “Silence, Prime, while  I obliterate that-“

Optimus lowered his fusion cannon.  “In case you hadn’t noticed, Megatron, The Star Destroyer is larger than Metroplex and has great power.”

The Decepticon Leader turned to his enemy and smiled.  “I’ll be sure to regale the tale of your cowardice to your Autobot comrades when I return – just before I destroy them!”

  “Not of I can help it, Megatron!” Optimus flipped his enemy to the ground.

 "Silence!” roared the Star Destroyer.  “Your petty squabbles mean nothing to me.  The quest for your freedom begins - now."

He caused the cavern to shake.

 "The cavern's caving in!" exclaimed Optimus. He ran into the open doorway, followed by a very reluctant Megatron, just before the entrance was blocked and the cave destroyed.

 

A strange and interesting place, inside another cavern, coloured swirls and many paths leading in different directions. Optimus studied the paths cautiously.

  "I don't know exactly which path to take, but I sense for some reason it is this one." He pointed diagonally to the left.

 "Are you sure?"

 "No, but you can take any path you want. I choose this one."

Megatron followed him, again with great reluctance.

 

The two Transformers walked for quite a while until the path split into two.

  "Which way now?" Optimus asked himself.

  “So much for Autobot logic,” Megatron sniffed. "We're trapped in this dimension because of you, Prime. This is your fault. If it weren't for you accursed Autobots we wouldn't be here."

Optimus‘ eyes widened and he turned. "Excuse me?he said, incredulous ”Your little 'surprise' brought us here. And you’re forgetting, Megatron - it is you who started this war. If you hadn't attacked us Autobots back on Cybertron in the first place, we wouldn't be here either.”

   “Spare me the ancient history lesson, Prime,” Megatron growled.

   “All right … Now listen, Megatron, we have to face the facts - We're trapped here. You despise me and to be frank, I'm not crazy about you either, but if we're ever going to escape, we must work together."

  "All right ..." Megatron scowled. "You win.  For now..."

  "I am not trying to win anything, Megatron.  My wish is to get back to Earth - alive."

Yes, Prime ... but when the time comes... Only one of us will return alive ...

 

As they walked, Megatron 'accidentally' bumped into Optimus causing him to fall into a smallish opening in the ground.  The Autobot grabbed a piece of rock, jutting  from the side.  Upon looking down, all he could see was black. The sharp rock began cutting into his hands.

  "Help me up …”

 Megatron angrily jerked.  "Sorry, Prime ..." he said quickly. "It was an accident..."

   "Accident, my number plate ..." Prime grumbled.

   "Really, I didn't think you were thin enough to fall through that hole. What did you do? Go on a diet?"

 "Hmph ..." snorted Optimus. "Now will you please get me out of here!" Optimus began to lose his legendary patience.

  "Why should I? Why should I help you? What's in it for me? "

   "We're in this mess because of you, Megatron. We're in it together and we'll get out together."

  "I'll find the way by myself.

Optimus Prime's hands pulled on the sharp rock. "Megatron, the rock is slicing into my hands.”

  "Oh ... I feel so sorry for you, Prime ..." Megatron paused.  "But then again, as you say, we’re in this together…”

Megatron's sudden 'change of heart' made Optimus suspicious. He lifted one of his bleeding hands. Megatron squeezed it, hurting him further. Then, just as Optimus Prime predicted, he let his hand go and laughed.

  "Sentimental fool.  So long, Prime.  Enjoy your new home ..."

Optimus Prime hung onto the rock with his other hand, grabbed onto Megatron's hand and pulled himself up.

 "What??!!"

 "Thanks so much for your help, Megatron."

The Decepticon Leader backed off, angry as he realised Optimus played him.

The Autobot rubbed his sore hands.   "I wouldn't trust you as far as I could throw Unicron."

Megatron lunged at him with a cry of rage and made to punch Optimus in the face. The other moved from the hole as Megatron came after him and threw him to the ground. Optimus tried to stand, but Megatron kicked him in his stomach. Optimus Prime placed his arm over it.  "I do not want to fight you, Megatron, but you're leaving me no choice."

Megatron made to kick him again. Optimus grabbed his foot and flung him into the far wall. He grunted angrily, then ran for Optimus Prime. Optimus had no choice, but to punch Megatron hard in the face. The Decepticon Leader fell onto the ground. Optimus jumped of him, straddled him and grabbed his throat.

   "Listen, if we're ever gonna get out of here, back to Earth, we must work together. When we get back to Earth, then we can continue to pummel the scrap out of each other.”

 Megatron half smiled.  "All right, Prime. We work together.  Let me go."

Optimus released him and stood.

  "Why don't you want to fight me?" asked Megatron. "Not afraid, are you? "

  “Your prattle bores me, Megatron.  I am not afraid of you. I despise fighting. I only engage in combat when I have absolutely no other choice.  You’ve known me for over nine million years.  Surely you should know that by now."

 "How typical ..." Megatron sneered. “Your overdeveloped sense of altruism will be your downfall.”

Optimus Prime ignored him and walked on.

I'll work with you... for now ... and he followed his enemy.

 

The two walked on for a short while and came up on another path split.  This time, one led up, the other down.

Optimus stopped.  "Up ... down ... Which way now?"

The Autobot saw a little blue creature slip off the edge of the cliff, hang on and yell for help.

  "Megatron ... you've got to help it you’re closer ... It's going to fall into the ravine!"

  "I’m not playing hero, Prime.  That’s your job.”

Optimus ran, pushing him out of the way.  To his relief, he caught the creature just in time. He smiled as he saw the relief in the creature’s violet eyes. Gently, he held it in his warm arms.

  "Enough of this!" snapped Megatron angrily. "Let me destroy that pathetic creature for wasting our time!"

The creature began shivering and dug its claws into Optimus arms.

   "Stop it, Megatron, you're scaring him ...”

   “Ohh, I’m so ashamed of myself.  Bad Megatron!”  He slapped his hand.

  “Shut up or I’ll push you down there."

  "Your compassionate weakness will be the end of us!" Megatron scoffed.

 Optimus ignored him.  "Maybe this little creature can help us."

  "Right... damn thing’s probably lost its mummy.  Pathetic, stupid-“

Optimus’ glare stopped him mid sentence, even Megatron knew he could only push Optimus Prime so far.

  “Perhaps he knows the way,” Optimus suggested.

Megatron aimed his fusion canon down at the creature.  "Tell us the way, or-"

Optimus sighed. "No need for aggressive force, Megatron," he cut in, looking at the creature.  "Which way are we supposed to go?" he asked soothingly, pointing up and down, then softly stroked the creature's cobalt fur.

The creature could not understand him, but these were not the first lost travellers he had seen and he pointed upward.

 "Megatron," said Optimus Prime, "get a piece of fruit from that tree over there for the creature. He looks hungry."

 "I'm not ..."

 "Just do it."

Megatron stomped over to the tree.   “Me ... the Mighty Megatron ... Playing mummy droid…” He scoffed in disgust…  “Starscream’d laugh himself stupid if he saw this…” Mutter…mutter .

Optimus Prime could not help but smile. He caught the fruit as Megatron threw it at him and fed the creature. It finished the tart fruit, then licked Optimus Prime's fingers.

 "Aeuwik!”

Optimus smiled.    “You’re welcome … I think…"

He placed the creature down. Grateful, it scurried off.  Megatron approached the downstairs path.

 "Where are you going?" asked Optimus Prime.

 "How do we know that simpleton told us the truth? You helped it. It had nothing more to gain - and how do we know the stupid thing knew which road to take anyways.  I do not trust it.  The way to go is down."

 "Megatron.  You lie so much you believe everyone else does as well.  We can trust the little creature. I can feel it.”

  “Damned if I’m going to trust my life to your feelings, Optimus Prime.”

The path disappeared as soon as Megatron set foot upon it.  The Decepticon Leader let out a cry of rage as he fell into the black void.   He was fortunate to grab onto a rock, jutting from the cliff’s surface.  Optimus waited for him to climb up, however Megatron did not.

  “Prime!…"

  “Megatron?”

  “Some magnetic force is dragging me down.  Far below lies an acid pool.”

  “Can’t you fly up?”

  “That overgrown buffoon shattered my flight circuits when he threw me to the ground.”

   “When he flicked you with his fingers, you mean.”

   “Just get me up!”

   “I don’t know, Megatron.  Why should I? Why should I help you? What's in it for me?  Sound familiar?"

  “We're in it together, you said … and we'll get out together..."  The last words came out more panicked than Megatron would have liked.

  “Get me out of here!” Megatron tried to mask his desperation with anger.

To his relief, and also chagrin, he felt Optimus grab his wrist and pull him up onto his knees. Optimus did not expect a thank you, nor did he receive one. 

Megatron stood and dusted himself off.  "I'll take a second opinion on that.  Up looks good."

  “And, Megatron,” Optimus continued, “not everyone is as deceitful as you – some even help others because they want to.  As they say what goes around comes around”

  “Spare me the new age clap trap, Prime,” Megatron growled.  “I bet my titanium trianglators you only saved me to continue your noble prattle!”

   “You may be that shallow, Megatron,” Optimus said, starting up the path.

The Decepticon leader remained silent, damned if he’d give Optimus the satisfaction of knowing the other was right, nor that he admired his enemy’s resolve – And he definitely not to admit Optimus Prime had save his life.

 

Both Autobot and Decepticon walked for what seemed like an age.  They came upon came to a cliff, with a large gap separating them the other side. The bottom, concealed from view, all they saw was blackness.

  “We’ll leap across,” Megatron said.

  "No, Megatron ... wait ... You won't be able to build up enough momentum. We have to find another way ..."

  “Says you.  Fine then – stay.  Hope you like your new world.  When I get back, I’ll say hello to Bumblebee and the rest of your brats.”

Ignoring Optimus, the Decepticon leader took a running jump.  As Optimus predicted, he did not have enough momentum. Megatron slipped and fell into the unknown.

Again, Optimus grabbed his wrist just in time and pulled him up.  "Will  you listen to me for once!?"

Megatron stood. "This is the second time you’ve saved my life, Optimus Prime,” he said, grudging.   “No wonder the Autobots will lose the war.  One should exterminate their enemies.”

  “Your gratitude is overwhelming … As I said before - we're in this together and we're getting out together."

  "All right, but how do we cross this blasted-“

  "Patience.  We're in another dimension. Anything is possible."

Optimus walked along the cliff for a few moments. He stopped and began to walk over an invisible bridge.

  "How did you know about ..."

  "I didn’t … I just had a feeling and I saw this in a movie I watched with Landmine. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, I believe it was called.”

The two of them carefully traversed the bridge and reached the other side and walked on for a while. The path lead dead ahead.

Megatron stopped for a while.  "Is there any energy around here?" he asked. "I'm getting low on power."

  "As am I, but I haven't seen any."

  “Wonderful. “

 

Megatron grumbled about being weak, de-energised and hungry.  Again Optimus’ patience was being tried, but he put up with it.

 

  "I want energy now!" said Megatron bellowed after a long while.

Optimus snapped around. "If you'd stop thinking about your stomach, you'd realise, we don't have anything to eat. Thinking and moaning about it only makes it worse - and it's more important to get out of here."

  “If we don’t drop dead of starvation first!”

Optimus turned on his heel and trudged on.

 

Later upon the path, both Transformers spotted a glowing white cube of energy. Megatron ran for it, though Optimus Prime pushed him out of the way and got it first.  He high kicked Megatron in his stomach as the Decepticon Leader tried to steal his prize.  Optimus sniffed the cube.  “It seems digestible.” 

He threw Megatron painfully to the ground as he tried once more to claim the cube.

  "I need it more than you," he growled.  “So much for your legendary altruism when your creature comforts are in danger.”

Slowly, Optimus Prime drank a quarter of the cube and gave the remaining three to Megatron.  "Here," he said.

Megatron snatched it and looked away, swallowing the remainder of the cube hastily.

  “I knew you’d never share it" Optimus said, … "and with my compassionate weakness, I couldn’t let you starve.”

Megatron grunted. 

  “I’ve a feeling the cube was left here,” Optimus said.

  "To torment us?" Megatron reasoned in anger.

  "Perhaps."

The energy relieved their hunger a little, but not much.  Both Transformers knew they must find a way back to Earth if they were to survive. They both walked on for an extremely long while.

 

The Star Destroyer watched them through his enchanted mist.

  "Strange food they eat ... An interesting and unusual pair these two…" he said to himself. Why don't they just give up and surrender themselves to me? ... They'll never pass the final test … They're mine... Mine for eternity …"

 

*  *  *

 

 

Upon their travels, the two Transformers encountered other creatures, found a few more white energy cubes, but no end to the path.

 

Optimus and Megatron continued walking.

  “We’ve been walking for aeons!” Megatron yelled in frustration, stopping for a while.  “With no end in sight.  Does this place even have an end?  Did we take the right path at the beginning?  If not, I swear I will destroy you here and now! Blow working together - look what it's got us - sweet fornicate all!"

  "I don't have the answers, Megatron and neither do you and throwing a temper tantrum isn't going to help either."

The Decepticon Leader harrumphed.  "Did the Star Destroyer tell us the truth?  Is there a way out?  Or does he intend to keep us as playthings for his amusement?!"

  "Again, I cannot answer that, Megatron, but somehow I sense he was… that there is a way out."

  "Well can you sense us the hell out of here?"

Optimus chuckled.  "If I could, we'd be home and dry by now as the humans say."

  "Wonderful… How long do you suppose we've been in this Godforsaken place?"

Optimus checked.  "My internal chronometer cannot not operate in the Star Destroyer's realm, however to take a punt, I'd say about two Earth months."

The Decepticon Leader groaned.  "Feels like a thousand Earth years…"

  "For once, I agree with you, Megatron."

The Transformers sat on two opposite rocks, feeling tired, depressed and demoralised.

 

Megatron stood and made to move on.  He saw remained sitting on the rock.

  "Are you ready to give up, Prime?"

Optimus shook his head, bringing himself out of his thoughts. "Not at all.  Just curious about what's happening back on Earth with the others."

  "Perhaps the Decepticons have vanquished the Autobots…" he said with a mischievous smile.

  "Or perhaps they've come to their senses and signed a peace treaty."

Megatron chucked.  "Keep dreaming, Optimus."

  "I intend to."

 

And the two walked on and on and on, along this seemingly endless path.  Megatron was sure another two months had past at least … or perhaps it really was a thousand years in this dimension - who knew?

Optimus Prime’s audio sensors pricked up when heard a small whimpering noise.  Megatron heard it too.  "What's that?"

The Autobot Leader looked up to see a grey furry animal atop a high rock, its paw caught and broken.

  "That poor animal's hurt, and he's stuck ..."

  "So are we" Megatron snapped. "Leave it.  We can’t afford any more of your heroic delays.  We’ve more important things to worry about - like returning to Earth and destroying ..."

  "Destroy, destroy, destroy!… That’s all you ever think about, Megatron! I’m going to help it and that’s final.”

  “All right, Optimus…” Megatron sighed.  “Fine.  Let’s help the damned thing.”

Prime’s eyes widened in surprise then shock as Megatron raised his fusion cannon.

   “By putting it out of its misery!”

In desperation, Optimus pushed Megatron’s arm away, deflecting the blast.

   “Sentimental fool!”

Optimus thumped Megatron as the other attacked.  Megatron hit hard rock, then looked ahead to see a swirl of energy, opening… to reveal the Earth.

  “Optimus!” he exclaimed, pointing.

Prime turned.  “The Earth…”

Megatron stood .  “Let us go!” he ran for the vortex.

The creature atop the rock yelped and howled.  Pained, Optimus looked up at it.

  “Prime!” Megaton yelled.  “Forget that insignificant furball!”

Optimus looked again at the vortex, beginning to close. He shook his head.  “I can’t, Megatron.”  He began to climb the dangerous rock face.

  “Fine!  Stay!  I hope your pet is worth it!”  Megatron ran toward the vortex, thrown backward by a volt of energy as the vortex closed.

Optimus was sure Megatron’s scream of anguish could be heard even all the way on Earth.  The Autobot Leader descended the rocks with the grateful creature.  Megatron’s eyes glowed red with rage.

   “Give it to me!” he roared.  “I’ll crush it … hear it squeal … Watch its eyes pop from their sockets as its bones crack and it oozes from my hand!”

  “You “disgust me, Megatron.”

  "The feeling’s mutual! …  And that useless creature cost us our FREEDOM!"

  “You may as well have. That idiotic creature distracted us!  You and your pathetic, weak-"

  “This creature is not to blame and nor am I."

  “Regardless, the vortex closed!  Thanks to your altruistic heroism we’re trapped here – for good!”

 "MEGATRON!" Optimus' patience vanished, startling even Megatron. "Don't you tell me how to be an Autobot and I won't tell you how to be a power mad, narrow-minded, pig-headed megalomaniac!"

 "Fine!  … What did you just call me?"

 "Forget it."

Megatron raised his canon.  “No, I will not ‘forget it.' " Then he mimicked Optimus’ calm voice and struck a melodramatic hero pose.   “ ‘We’re “trapped in this together and we’ll find a way out together…’ - We are trapped, Prime, permanently thanks to your sentimentality!  And I have no desire to spend eternity with you!”

In haste, he put the creature down as Megatron fired, hitting the Autobot Leader square in the chest. 

Optimus Prime laughed.  “That tickles, Megatron...”

Another scream of frustration Prime was sure could be heard in the next galaxy.

  “Low power…”Megatron cursed.  “Must be your lucky day, Prime.”

  “Must be.”

The creature peered up at Optimus.  The Autobot leader pulled a gnarled beige root from the ground and held it out to the creature.  Gingerly, the grey animal approached and sniffed.  Optimus Prime stroked it gently.

Megatron grunted.  “Don’t suppose those roots will replenish us?  As disgusting as they look, it’s better than starving.”

  “Unfortunately ginger is highly poisonous to Transformers, Megatron, and the effects are … not pretty.”

The Decepticon harrumphed and sat hard on a rock, folding his arms and scowling, not without realising Optimus could have let him eat the roots and watched him die in agony.

The grey creature looked up at Optimus Prime and suddenly vanished. 

Optimus’ eyes widened.  "What the?!”

  "That is correct ..." came the deep voice of the Star Destroyer, as he appeared in front of them.

Optimus Prime looked up at him and placed his arms by his sides.  Megatron stood.

 "That," the humungous being said, "was the test of mercy.  No one has ever passed it.  No one has ever risked their life, or freedom to save that creature.  I have never met anyone so selfless."

  "Are we free to return to our world?" Optimus asked.

  "Yes.  You completed the quest by passing the final test."

Megatron remained silent.

 

The three of them disappeared and reappeared in a similar cavern to the one in which they first arrived. 

Star Destroyer used his power to create a silver interdimensional gateway.

  "Too bad you can't come with, Prime..." Megatron pushed past him and ran for the gateway.

  "No!" Star Destroyer, yelled, raised his hand, stopping Megatron with a small blast of energy.

The Decepticon Leader crashed onto the ground, bleeding. Optimus jerked.

  "I have decided," said the Star Destroyer. "Optimus Prime, you may return home to your world.  The other you call Megatron must stay here and be destroyed.   You may witness his destruction.” The titanic alien raised his hand, to blast Megatron.

Optimus Prime looked at the Stargate, longing to return to Earth, then at Megatron, lying helpless.  He signed and walked toward the Decepticon Leader and knelt beside him.  Megatron began to regain consciousness, however, tried to stand.  His face twisted with pain.  Gently, Optimus pushed him back down, then turned to at the Star Destroyer.  “I cannot stand back and watch you kill him.  It is not my way.  I'm not going back without Megatron."

Fully conscious now, Megatron could scarcely what he had just heard.

The Star Destroyer looked down at the small Autobot.   "Then you will feel the wrath of my power!”

The Autobot Leader stood as the Star Destroyer blasted fire bolts of power at him.  Optimus Prime prepared himself, allowing the Star Destroyer's energy recharge him.

  "NO!!!  IMPOSSIBLE ..."  he screamed in awe. "No one has ever withstood even but an inkling of my power... I ... I cannot believe it...  You

 have absorbed all  my power…How is this even possible?…”

  “I knew I could not best you in battle, or even stand a chance.  With a flick of your fingers, you damaged Megatron’s flight circuits.  With a tiny blast you almost killed him. I realised the only way to withstand your power was not to fear it, but to embrace it.”

In shock, the Star Destroyer fell to his knees.

  “You are wise beyond your years, Optimus Prime.  You have earned my respect.”

Megatron tried to scramble away as the Star Destroyer’s hand came for him.

  “Be still,” he ordered as he covered Megatron’s wounded body, healing him.

He then turned to Optimus Prime.

  “You chose to endanger your life rather than abandon an enemy ... Why?"

  "Must be my overdeveloped sense of altruism.”

Megatron tried to stifle a smile – unsuccessfully.

The Star Destroyer regarded Optimus Prime with respect.  "Your heart is as great as your courage. You have not only earned your own freedom, but your companion's as well."

  "Thank you."

Optimus helped Megatron up.

  “You may… stay if you wish,” the Star Destroyer offered.

  “We do not wish!” Megatron snapped.  “Why in the Universe-“

Optimus raised a hand, cutting him off.  The Star Destroyer sat on the hard ground.  Optimus saw sadness in his eyes.

  “So that’s why you kept us … You’re lonely…”

Anger riled up in the Decepticon leader.  “So we just were your playthings!  We could have been killed!”

The Star Destroyer swallowed and nodded in shame.  “I cannot excuse my actions …It has been over three millennia since anyone visited my dimension…and the last two, if you think you and Optimus have it bad, I’ll not even begin to tell you about them… And you … you are not the only ones who are trapped here.”

  “There are others?” Megatron inquired, curious.  “Ah, those creatures we saw.”

The Star Destroyer shook his head.  “No, this is their home.  Although I have also made it mine… the creatures are afraid of my size and keep their distance.  I wish them no harm, but I long for companionship … It has been fourteen … billion years… since I have seen my home.”

Megatron’s eyes widened.  “Fourteen billion … Can you not escape?”

  “No.  This is my prison and it looks to remain so … I am ashamed to say on my world, aeons ago, I was a criminal… I abused my powers for domination and control.  My true name is the Star Keeper.  I altered that to the Star Destroyer when power corrupted me.  My judges chose exile and imprisonment as opposed to Death, which in retrospect I wish they had.  It would have been over sooner and I would not have suffered billions of years alone…”

  “So tormenting innocent travellers is how you get your jollies …” Megatron snarled.

Optimus stared at him..  You, innocent, Megatron?”

The Star Destroyer sighed.   “I was once as he was, Optimus Prime, however I have learned, and am still learning, over the many lonely years … I learned to use my power wisely, as you do, Optimus.  Unbeknownst to them, I have often helped the creatures here, used my powers to grow food for them, warm them when they feel cold … But I long to do more… though it looks as though I will never have that opportunity… My judges told me that only one true of heart and pure of soul could set me free.”

   “So that’s the reason for the test of mercy.”

   “Yes and you passed with shining colours, but it appears I did not.”  A tear rolled down his black cheek, followed by more.

  “Prime, we must go,” Megatron urged.

  “We can’t leave him like this, Megatron, surely even you wouldn’t allow someone to suffer so.”

  “There’s nothing either of us can do for him!” Megatron snapped.  “We did not cause his suffering.  He caused enough of that on his own.”

Optimus glared at his adversary.

  “He is right,” the humungous being said.  “You should go.  I was a fool to believe … to hope that I would ever be free.”

Optimus approached him.

  “Go!” the other yelled. “Megatron’s right.  There be nothing you can do for me.  If what the judges said was true, only one true of heart and soul could break free of this prison… when you risked what you believed to be your freedom to save that creature… I thought you were the one…"

Optimus took a step closer.  “Star Keeper…”

  “Star Destroyer.”

  “You told me your true name was the Star Keeper.”

  “It has been so long since I was known by that name.”

  “It is the name of your true self.  You say you wish to use your great power to heal rather than harm.”

The other nodded.  “I do… more than anything … But this ordeal has proven I have much to learn.  In my arrogance, I almost killed you and your friend, despite your passing my final test.”

Megatron noted, with interest his use of the word ‘friend.’

  “This ordeal has taught us all many things, Star Keeper, Optimus Prime said.  “And life changing lessons do not have to take a lifetime to learn.”

  “You are wise, Optimus Prime.  Much more so than I, but am I worthy of the title of the Keeper of the Stars after all I have done?”

   “You cannot, Star Keeper, free yourself from debilitating patterns if you insist on being called the 'Star Destroyer.' ”

 “You are right, Optimus Prime.  I must reclaim who I once was.“ The massive being stood and spoke, his voice seeming to resonate through the cosmos. “I am the Star Keeper of old.  I deeply regret my past follies and the egregious abuse of my powers.  From this moment on, I pledge to use my powers only for the betterment of the Universe.  I am the Star Keeper.”

As he raised his arms, the blackness parted, revealing glowing swirls of colour to reveal the Stars.

A limp stuck in the Star Keeper’s throat.  “I never believed I would see the stars again… I Thank you, Optimus Prime, more than words can say.”

  “It is my "pleasure."

  "What the judges said was true.  One true of heart and pure of soul would set me free … Not immediately, but you did, Optimus Prime."

  "No," Optimus said.  "You "did."

The Star Keeper stared at him.

  "I see now what the judges you told me of meant.  It was not another who would free you, but yourself.  Your discovery of your own true heard and pure soul within."

The Star Keeper swallowed.  "You possess much greater wisdom than I, Optimus Prime.  You are but a youth in my years.  I will aspire to attain such wisdom.  Again, I thank you."

The Autobot Leader smiled.  "Thanks for calling me 'young.' "

The Star Keeper chuckled.  "My pleasure."

  "Can we go now?" Megatron asked, although Optimus noted no impatience in his voice this time.

The Star Keeper smiled.  "Yes, Megatron, you may both return to your dimension. I hope to see you both once more in my lifetime ..."

  "Perhaps we will meet again, Star Keeper," Optimus said. "Who knows?"

 

The Star Keeper used his powers to thank the creatures here, leaving them with enough growing food and warmth to last the life of the world, before he took off, feeling billions of years of heaviness leave him, changing from his black, blubberous, solid, bulky frame to a slender form of rainbow light stretching to the Heavens, free and alive, a future of hope and wonder, of peace and joy … far away on his home world, which he would return to someday, those wise judges wept tears of joy as the rainbow Star Keeper lit the galaxy.

Optimus watched, mesmerised by the beauty of the transformation, sensing the exuberance and joy.  Megatron would never admit to anyone but Soundwave that this was one of the most beautiful phenomena he had ever witnessed as he and Optimus entered the interdimensional gateway.

   "I suppose you expect me to repay you," Megaton grunted as they entered.

   "I expect nothing from you, Megatron."

  

Back on Earth ...

 

The Autobots had been rounded up and captured, their weapons confiscated, Decepticon weapons trained upon them, itching to fire.

  "This is your absolute last chance, Autobots ..." Skywarp threatened. "What have you done to brave Megatron? Where is he?!"

  "Brave?! " Prowl scoffed.  "Then where is he?  Where is your oh so brave leader?"

  "You tell me," Skywarp said, weapon trained upon the Autobots.

  "We do not have Megatron," Prowl said. "And more importantly, where is Optimus Prime?"

  "Oh?  Missing your brave leader too are you?" Starscream teased.  "He's probably done a bunk."

Rage welled up within Ironhide. "Optimus Prime would never-"

Soundwave entered the control room.  "Are you forgetting, your and Starscream's weapons caused the-"

  "Yeah, well the Autobots probably jinxed them!" Skywarp snapped.

  "Possibly, but unlikely," Soundwave said, though still unsure and worried for his Leader.

  "Whose side are you on?!" Starscream yelled.

Soundwave glared lasers at him.

Starscream turned to the Autobots and gave a cruel smile. "Well we don't have to wait for Megatron's blessing to annihilate these metallic morons!"

 

 In a flash of blinding light, Optimus Prime and Megatron appeared before them.

  "Prime!" Ironhide exclaimed.

  "Megatron!" Soundwave's exclamation came with less reserve than he would have liked, in front of the other Decepticons and especially the Autobots.

   "What happened here?" Megatron asked.  "Were you all in the middle of a battle?"

   "Affirmative," Soundwave answered.  "Perhaps your memory circuits sustained damage with your recent ordeal."

Megatron's brow furrowed.  "Recent?"

   "You and Optimus went missing for about twenty minutes," Ironhide explained.

Prime and Megatron exchanged a look.  Minutes?

 

  "We captured all the Autobots," Skywarp said.  "Now's our chance, Megatron. Since you're back, we can annihilate them ..."

  "Since when do we need Megatron to destroy Autobots?" Starscream asked.  "You're such a baby, Skywarp, can't do anything without daddy Megatron's say so."

Megatron glared at him.  "Starscream," he said, "shut up."

The Jet blinked.

  "That's one good thing about our ordeal," Megatron said. "Not having to listen to you!"

Optimus indulged in a smile behind his mouthplate.

Starscream glowered.  "Thrilled to have you back too, Megatron.  Well now that you are back … unfortunately … " he under his breath, purposely loud enough for the other to hear, "we can annihilate these worthless Autobots!"

He raised his weapon.  Megatron lowered it.

  "No."

  "What?!  Has your ordeal fried your cranial unit?" Starscream exclaimed.

All eyes stared at the Decepticon Leader. 

Optimus Prime's eyes widened.  "No?"

  "You'll no doubt perform some idiotic heroic stunt to save your friends, Optimus and believe you me, I've had quite enough of your heroics … saving two helpless creatures, freeing an intergalactic Star Keeper from his fourteen billion year imprisonment and bolstering his ludicrously low self esteem … and saving another … no less than three times … One who would have destroyed you without so much as a second thought."

Optimus Prime and Megatron exchanged a knowing glance.   Soundwave, the first to lower his weapon, deeply understanding and respecting Megatron's reason. 

The others followed suit, even Starscream, albeit reluctantly at first.

  "Leave us," Megatron ordered the others.

Both Decepticons and Autobots went their separate ways.

 

  "Thank you, Megatron," Optimus said, "for releasing my friends when you could just as easily have had them destroyed."

  "I will not remain in your debt, Optimus Prime.  You have earned my respect."

  "As you have earned mine."

Megatron chuckled.  "As ridiculous and foolish as this sounds, Prime, that is something I have always wanted."

Prime smiled.  "In retrospect, Megatron, I'm grateful for your little surprise...."

  "It almost got us killed … But it was a surprise, for both of us wasn't it … in an odd sort of a way."

  "As they say, the Universe works in mysterious ways."

  "Indeed it does.  Though that does not stop me from wanting to wring both Skywarp and Starscream's necks … Especially Starscream's…"

Optimus chuckled.  "Go easy on them, Megatron, I think they've learned their lessons too."

The Decepticon Leader chuckled.  "I certainly hope they have - for their sake.  Just for good measure, I'll have those meddlesome weapons destroyed."

Optimus nodded, then turned to leave.  Megatron leaned on the console.  He spoke to the other, though did not turn to face him.   "I still do not quite understand, Optimus why you saved my life and why you didn't leave me there to die."

   "Perhaps one day you will, Megatron.  I pray it does not take you fourteen billion years."

Megatron swallowed and remained silent as Optimus Prime left to join his friends.

A short while later, the Decepticon Leader felt a comforting hand on his shoulder.  He turned to face his dependable friend and smiled warmly.

  "Let us go somewhere more private, Soundwave… I have quite a story to tell you."

 

*  *  *

 

Back home at Autobot headquarters, Optimus and the Autobots sat comfortably on the floor of the main control room.  The Autobot Leader smiled, a welcome gift to see his friends at peace, candid and relaxing.

He began to regale them with his intergalactic, interdimensional adventure, fraught with disaster, danger, daring, hope, mysticism and wonder in the Star Keeper's dimension. Glued to Optimus' every word, the Autobots, even Teletraan I, heartened by their leader's wisdom, resolve and compassion.  All of them, no matter how much they despised Megatron, deeply respected what Optimus Prime had done for him.

 

As Optimus brought his tale to a close, he gazed into the darkening sky, through the opening of the volcano.  His gentle blue eyes smiled, then he closed them and wished upon the first star.  

 

Someday that treaty he always dreamed of would be signed.

 

 

 

*

   Back to Autobot & Decepticon Fanfic Page

 

Back to Transformers Page