Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

Summary: Liddy, a reporter is fascinated by the Autobots ... they, however consider her a pest.

Rating - PG

~~~~~~          

THE PEST

 

"This is Liddy Spina, reporting for Global News Affairs. A vile murder took place in ..."

The news progressed on. Liddy finished her report and the cameras stopped rolling.

"I'm sick of this!" she exclaimed, angrily throwing down her schedule papers.

"Murders ..... rapes ..... more murders, road accidents, sport and politics ... When can we do something interesting? Something different? Something which doesn't involve prople getting killed or abused or kicking balls around a field?"

The Sport reporter shot her a look.  Liddy shot one back as she knelt down and began to pick up her papers.

"Well," began Rowan MacInanny, her boss, "Next week we're going to do an interview with the Autobots."

"The Autobots! ....." exclaimed Liddy, dropping her parers again. She put her hands on her cheeks. "You really mean The Autobots? .... Oh wow ....."

Liddy could barely walk in her high heels. She tripped over camera 2's extension cord.

"Liddy?"

"I'm alright, Rowan," she replied standing up.

"Are you sure? You don't seem too well."

"Yes ..... yes, I'm fine .... Ju .... just fine."

Liddy happily skipped home to her apartment.

"Ohh .... I'm actually going to meet the Autobots ...."

She felt giddy. All she could think about was the interview.

"What should I wear?" she asked herself. She rummaged through all her best clothes, but could find nothing.

Liddy went shopping and bought herself an expensive black and white checkered business suit. She paid a visit to the hairdressers and had her hair styled. Liddy couldn't resist buying new, expensive make up.

Every free second she had, she practised what she was going to do, say and how she would act in the interview. She practised long and hard and was quite nervous.

"What if they don't like me? ...."

On the day, Liddy tried to calm herself. She dressed, then put on her make up and did her hair. She arrived a little late at work, as her stocking had laddered and she had to pop into the local store to buy a new pair.

"Lookin' lovely, Liddy," complimented Rowan.

"Thanks" she said, with a smile. "I can't wait for the interview!"

Rowan smiled at her. The escort soon arrived. It didn't take long to reach Autobot headquarters. Liddy was so excited, she almost fainted. With difficulty, she managed to climb out of the car. She hobbled a little on her high heels, then hesitated, pulled her skirt straight and gave herself a moment to calm down. She walked into Autobot headquarters, followed by the camera crew. They were greeted by the Autobots. Liddy hoped they said something first. This was one interview she did not know how to start. Optimus Prime looked at her.

"So, when do we start the interview?" he asked.

"N - now ... " said Liddy, trying not to sound too excited. "Roll camera."

Liddy began asking the Autobots questions, trying not to get too personal. The Autobots answered all her questions in as much detail as they could. Liddy loved every moment of it. She continued questioning them. Liddy didn;t notice, but some Autobots were getting a little irritated, but didn't let it show and answered Liddy's questions. Not that she wanted to, she had to conclude the interview.

"Thank you," she said. "I'd like to go on, but we haven't time."

Liddy looked into the camera and smiled.

"Viewers .... the Autobots ..... Aren't they magnificent?"

The cameras stopped rolling. Liddy looked up at Optimus Prime.

"Thank you" she said.

Optimus smiled at her. "It's fine."

" I'd like to stay and ask you more questions. Nt for the cameras, but ...."

"I'm afraid we can't, Miss Spina," said Optimus, politely. "We have a considerable amount of work to do. I'm sorry. Another time, perhaps."

Liddy felt upset, but respected the Autobots' needs. She left with the crew.

"I thought she'd never leave" complained Huffer.

"She was just doing her job, Huffer," said Optimus.

"We know, Prime," said Tracks, "But oooohhh she was so irritating ..... The way she asked her questions .... her voice .... It was awful ..... So high, snooty .... yeeech!"

"She can't help her vocal components, Tracks."

"I know, ... but doesn't she bug you?"

"I can see why she annoys some of you, but she didn't annoy me. You must learn to be patient. She didn't mean to annoy us."

"I know" said Tracks, calming down. "When's the interview going to be on television?"

"Tomorrow night" replied Optimus Prime. "On the six o'clock news."

Liddy was at home, taking off her clothes. She felt the interview had been a total success, but what she really wanted was to talk to the Autobots after the interview to the Autobots on a personal level to get to know them better.

"They said they had work to do ...." she said to herself, taking off her panty hose. "Maybe I was being a little selfish...."

Liddy put on her pyjamas and climbed into bed.

The interview was played the following night. It went at least ten minutes overtime.

The Autobots at Autobot headquarters were watching it.

"Viewers .... the Autobots ..... Aren't they magnificent?" came Liddy's voice from the transmission.

"Phew ...... Thank Primus that's over" said Sunstreaker. "I didn't put enough polish on."

He switched off the television transmission.

"I'm just glad it's over" said Tracks. "We don't have to listen to her anymore."

Sunstreaker smiled.

"She was irritating ..... but I looked awful.... I wasn't shiny enough ...."

At work, Liddy tried to get any opportunity she could to see the Autobots, but none arose.

Late one afternoon, Rowan walked into the studio.

"I need someone to conduct another interview with the Autobots."

Liddy was at his side faster than the speed of light.

"Liddy, you were severely overtime on your first interview. I don't think ...."

"Oh .... please .... I promise I won't go overtime this time... Please?"

Rowan sighed. "Well, alright - but not a second overtime."

Liddy smiled. "Trust me."

She happily skipped home. Again, she checked her wardrobe. Nothing. She didn't want to wear the same checkered suit again. She used one of her credit cards to buy a blue suit, complete with a matching hat.

The next day, the television crew arrived at Autobot headquarters and asked for an interview. Liddy stepped out of the car.

"Not her again ...." complained Gears, in a whisper.

Liddy soon began the interview.

"You don't have to answer all my questions" she said. "If I get too personal, just tell me."

Liddy began questing them, mainly about the history of the Autobots and their home planet Cybertron. The Autobots didn't mind her questions. It was the way she asked them, her inquisitive reporter voice and manner that put them off, but being polite, they said nothing to her about this.

Liddy made sure her interview didn't go overtime.

"Thank you, Autobots," she said, at last.

"It's alright, Miss Spina," said Optimus Prime, politely, looking down at her.

She looked up at him. He's gorgeous ..... Just gorgeous ....

"You .... you can call me Liddy .... " she said, coming out of her daze.

"Alright then, Liddy."

Liddy smiled at the gentle use of her name. She wanted to stay, but had to get back to work. She then left with the crew.

"I wish we could construct a new voice box for her, Prime," said Cliffjumper, watching the news cars drive off into the distance.

Optimus gave a small smile.

Later, the Autobots watched the interview on television.

"Glad I put enough polish on this time" smiled Sunstreaker.

"Would you shut up about you polish already!" Tracks snapped. "I had a bent fender!"

During the next few months, Liddy had many other interviews with the Autobots. The Autobots were reluctant, but said nothing about it.

Liddy could not afford to buy any new clothes, so wore her best old ones.

"It doesn't seem to make a difference to then what I wear ...." She said to herself sadly. " They don't seem to notice or care."

Slowly, Liddy began to get the feeling that her reporter manner was putting the Autobots off, but she didn't know how to conduct herself otherwise. She wanted to tell the Autobots this - That she really liked them, and wasn't just using them for her job, but wasn't sure how. It was upsetting her a lot and she didn't know how to get around it.

After one interview, Liddy secretly hid behind Autobot headquarters to hear if the Autobots said anything about her.

"That reporter is so annoying" complained Hoist.

"Yeah" confided Cliffjumper. "Of everyone on Earth she can interview, she picks us."

"She's only doing her job" said Optimus Prime.

"We know, Prime, " said Ratchet, "But oohh .... her voice...."

Liddy, outside, felt upset, but knew they weren't meaning to hurt her feelings.

I want to talk to them on a personal level ... But I don't know how .... I can't help my snooty voice and manner ... I don't like it either ..... but I can't help it. I wish there was something I could do .... I wish they'd understand how I feel. If I tell them my feelings they'll probably think I'm a snob and they won't understand properly ....

Sadly, Liddy drove home. She walked up to her apartment, opened the door and went straight to her bedroom. There, she lay on her bed and cried softly.

Liddy cried for a long while. She began realizing there was nothing she could do about it. She then dried her teary eyes. Crying wouldn't help.

In the morning, Liddy woke up with an idea from a dream she had the previous night.

"I know!" she exclaimed happily, "I can go to them, not for an interview, but just for a visit ....."

Liddy put on a blue dress and drove to Autobot headquarters in her cream coloured car.

"Look who's here ...." said Grapple, as he saw her car pull up. "Miss `Lights camera action' ...."

None of the Autobots were in the mood for an interview, especially with Liddy.

"Tell her to go away, Prime" urged Bluestreak. "Tell her we're busy ...."

"I can't lie to her, Bluestreak. It's not essential. Let's just do the interview and get it over with."

Liddy then walked into Autobot headquarters.

"Intruder! Intruder!" exclaimed Skyfire in a whisper.

Optimus gave a small smile. He then turned to Liddy.

"Where's the camera crew?" he asked, looking around, puzzled.

"I ..... I haven't come for an interview," she said, a little shyly. "I .... I just came .... well .... for a visit ...."

"Oh" said Optimus, rather surprised.

Liddy didn't know what to say.

"Well," said Optimus, "What do you want to know? See? Do?"

Liddy kept quiet and smiled shyly. "I don't know" she said.

"But you always know what to say in your interviews" said Optimus.

Liddy hesitated. "... Mmmm ..... this is .... different ...."

Optimus smiled. He began showing her around the headquarters. Liddy asked many questions, trying not to sound like a reporter, but as hard as she tried, she couldn't help it. She tried not to aggravate the Autobots, but didn't realize that was exactly what she was doing. Liddy was having a wonderful time and wished it could last forever. She was feeling quite hungry and wanted something to eat, but wanted to stay with the Autobots more. Optimus Prime too was feeling hungry. He walked into the energon room with Liddy. Optimus picked up an energon cube and drank it. Liddy smiled. She loved watching the gentle and polite way Optimus Prime drank the cube. She knew Transformers ate, but had never seen one of them eating before. She wanted to say something, but found it hard.

"What ...... is it called? ...." she asked, a little shy.

"What's what called?" asked Optimus, noticing the slight shyness in her voice.

Liddy pointed to the energon cubes. "Your food. Does it have a special name?"

"Yes. It's called energon. These are energon cubes."

Optimus Prime looked at her. "Speaking of food, you look hungry. It's a pity humans can't digest energon, or I'd give you some."

Liddy smiled at him.

"You'd better go," said Optimus, after a while. "We don't have any human food at the moment. I don't want you to starve."

Liddy was absolutely starving, but said, "no, Optimus. I've been meaning to go on a diet. I'm alright."

"Liddy," said Optimus, kneeling down. "You don't need a diet. You'd better go into town and get something to eat. I'd love to give you a lift, but I have too much to do."

Liddy would have loved that, but just nodded, trying not to look too sad.

"It's alright, Optimus," she said. "I've got my car."

Liddy appreciated Optimus Prime's concern for her, but really wanted to stay. She walked out of Autobot headquarters, almost crying.

I wish they'd understand .... she thought, sadly, but they don't know they're hurting me. It's not their fault. I can't blame them for that ....

Liddy climbed into her car and drove to the side of Autobot headquarters, listening to what the Autobots were saying about her.

"Good riddance!" snapped Air Raid.

Optimus Prime came to him.

"She doesn't mean to be a pest" he said.

"Yeah .... but she is .... anyway, what did she want this time?"

"She came for a visit, not for an interview."

"Yeah ..... I'd believe that any day ..." said Air Raid, sarcastically. "Probably had a tape recorder tucked in her bra."

Optimus smiled.

"Perhaps" he said, "but she likes us. She ...."

"She pretends to like us, Prime. Not that she hates us, but the only reason she does all those interviews and stuff with us is for her job and popularity. You should see the ratings. She's number one. I mean with her voice, you'd wonder how she's even have a job as a news reader - let a lone be the top of 'em all."

"Don't be nasty, Air Raid. You know she can't help that."

"Sorry, .... But I can't stand her .... How could the people vote her as the top news reader in the country? Sometimes I just don't understand humans ...."

"Don't let it bother you. You're getting angry and uptight about something that really doesn't concern you."

"It does when she comes here and we have to listen to her."

"Just try to put up with her."

"I do try .... She's just using us for her job, Prime..."

Optimus Prime thought about what Air Raid had just said.

"Perhaps she is using us for her job, but, what she's doing is not wrong."

"I know, but ...."

"She's not hurting us or using us in any cruel way."

"I know that, .... I suppose I don't hate her."

"I know she's irritating to most of us, but we need to put up with it."

"Suppose I could try a little harder ..... But I'd rather see an entire Decepticon attack force heading toward us than her car pull up outside."

Optimus smiled a little.

Liddy, outside, also gave a small smile, but she was more upset.

"Prime" said Air Raid, ".... what if she lies about us? Says something .... Y'know how the news sometimes manipulates stuff?"

"Sso far, all her interviews and articles have been truthful and as they are taped here. That's a good thing about her. She doesn't lie."

Liddy smiled, grateful something about her was appreciated by the Autobots.

"I suppose that's good, but I hate how she's so irritating" said Air Raid, angrily. "Frankly, I hope she never comes back."

He walked off before Optimus Prime could say anything.

Liddy's eyes filled with tears, but felt she couldn't feel angry with Air Raid.

He doesn't know how much he's hurting me .....

Liddy then heard Air Raid and Optimus Prime coming outside. She gasped.

"I can't let then see me - especially crying ... or my car.... " She quickly drove home, trying not to feel upset, but it was unavoidable. "I've gotta try and help them in some way ..... " she said to herself, " but how? ...."

Liddy spent days thinking about this.

"If I ask them, they'll politely say they don't need or want my help .... and they'd probably think it's a publicity scam. There's gotta be another way ..."

A few days later, in a live news broad cast .....

"This morning," began Liddy, "the Decepticons attacked a nuclear power plant and .... YESSS! THAT'S IT!! ..... " she screamed. She suddenly became extremely embarrassed. "Uhh .... excuse me ..... sorry ...."

The Autobots, at Autobot headquarters were watching the news broadcast, and were also puzzled at Liddy's sudden outburst.

Back at the studio, Liddy tried to discreetly leave the set. Rowan stormed after her. "What the hell happened there?"

"I .... I don't feel too good ..... I need some time off...."

"I'll say .... Why the hell ...."

"I don't know, Rowan .... Something came over me .... I'm sorry. I don't feel too good."

Rowan then looked sympathetic. "Alright, you can have a week off - but please, in future, try to contain your outbursts - especially on live television."

"Sorry. Don't be too upset. It'll definitely get on `T.V bloopers!'"

Rowan's frustrated frown changed to a smile.

"Alright, Liddy, see y' next week."

Liddy smiled and walked out of the automatic doors. She was not feeling ill, but brilliant.

I've thought of what I can do to help the Autobots! She raced home and began to plan it. "If I can spy on the Decepticons some how ..... I might be able to get some information for them .... but how will I get to Decepticon headquarters? It's in the middle of the Atlantic ocean - under the water ...."

Liddy thought for a while.

For a few days, Liddy took scuba diving lessons and bought some scuba diving gear. She sailed out to Decepticon headquarters in her mother's old speed boat. She swam down, and tried to get into the headquarters, but just as she'd found a way, an alarm sounded. Liddy gasped, frightened.

Soundwave, a Decepticon ran to the computer and looked at the monitor.

"Human intruder outside headquarters" he informed. "Laserbeak, eject - operation, capture."

Liddy tried to escape, but it was no use. Laserbeak flew with her, in his claws into Decepticon headquarters.

"Let me go!" she screamed.

Laserbeak dropped her in front of Megatron. Megatron looked down at her, while she stood up.

"Decepticons" he said. "We must find out more information about Autobot plans and weaknesses - and the only link we have is this pathetic reporter on the six o'clock news - and she doesn't give away any valid information."

Liddy felt angry at being called `pathetic,' but then again, Megatron thought all humans were pathetic. He then looked down at her. "Come to spy on us to get information for the news, eh? ...."

"Well .... no .... not really .... I ...."

"Silence, you pathetic Earth Germ."

Liddy silenced, but wanted to say something to Megatron. She then decided to keep quiet.

"If I didn't have a use for you I'd terminate you now."

Liddy felt frightened. "What do you want?"

"Tell me all the Autobot secrets you know."

"I don't know any" replied Liddy, truthfully. "All I know is what they tell me on the interviews."

"Well they must've told you something. You're their friend, aren't you?"

"Yes .... well ..... sort of ...."

"I have the perfect plan to terminate them ...."

Liddy was worried. Megatron then radioed Autobot headquarters.

"Prime ...."

"What do you want, Megatron?" interrupted Optimus.

"I have something you'd be interested in ...."

Megatron paused.

"Get to the point" demanded Optimus.

"Alright, then, Prime."

Megatron then televised Liddy, in energon chains, next to him.

"If you do not surrender within 24 hours, your friend will be terminated --" Megatron concluded the transmission. Optimus turned to the Autobots.

"Friend?!" exclaimed Fireflight in surprise. "What friend? Do we have to save her?"

"Yes" said Optimus Prime. "We can't let the Decepticons kill any innocent Humans. "

"Yeah .... but what a drag .... rescuin' that Human ..."

"We can't all go " said Optimus Prime. "They'll detect us for sure. " Fireflight, you come with me."

"Why me .... Anyway with any luck she'd've driven the Decepticons crazy by now."

Optimus gave a small smile.

The two Autobots soon arrived at Decepticon headquarters. With difficulty, they managed to make it to Liddy's cell, undetected. Optimus stood guard while Fireflight went inside. He grabbed Liddy. "How'd they get ya?" he asked, anger in his voice.

"I was ..... was spying on them .... I ...."

"Spying?! They could've killed you, not that that'd be any great tragedy."

"That's enough, Fireflight," cut in Optimus. "We have to get out of here before the Decepticons detect us."

They managed to make it to the surface with Liddy.

"Why were you spying on the Decepticons?" asked Optimus.

Liddy was silent. She was shivering inside and almost crying.

"She was spying to get stuff for the news, Prime" accused Fireflight. "What else?"

"No, I ..." began Liddy.

"Shut up, or we'll leave you here."

"Fireflight ...."

"Prime, she's caused us enough trouble."

Prime knelt down to Liddy. "I know some reporters go to great risks to obtain information, but, Liddy, this was too risky. It ...."

"Risky?!" exclaimed Fireflight. "Idiotic is more like it."

Optimus looked at Fireflight in a way which told him be quiet. He looked back at Liddy. "Please Be careful, Liddy. Keep your news reviews to the basics."

"Yes, Optimus ...." she said, feeling like a moron.

She wanted to tell them that the only reason she spied on the Decepticons, was to help them, but felt she couldn't. She tried hard to keep her tears back.

"Fireflight, take her home. I have to get back to headquarters."

Reluctantly, Fireflight obeyed. He flew Liddy to her street with a rather rough ride.

"Hey, watch, it, okay?"

"What's amatter? Did I break your fingernail?"

Liddy said nothing to counter Fireflight's sarcasm. He then landed in her street.

"Can I cone back to Autobot headquarters with you?" asked Liddy, knowing the answer.

Fireflight angrily threw her onto the road.

"We've had enough of you!" he yelled, furiously. "Get lost - and stay lost!"

Fireflight transformed into his A4 Phantom mode and flew back to Autobot headquarters. He hadn't realized that he'd hurt Liddy a lot physically when he'd thrown her onto the street, but he'd hurt her feelings more. Liddy waited until Fireflight was out of sight and burst into tears. She stayed sitting on the street for a while. She saw a truck coming down. Liddy slowly stood up and limped up to her apartment. She sat down at her dressing table and cried loudly.

The next few days were very hard for Liddy, trying to get over it. She took a few more days off work and went to work a few days later. She tried her best not to look upset on her news reports.

After one broadcast, Rowan came to her.

"What's the matter, Liddy? You don't seem yourself lately."

"I'm not, Rowan. I'm not feeling too good .... but I don't know why ...."

"Come to my place after I finish work. We can have dinner or something."

"Thanks" she smiled.

She felt grateful someone appreciated and care about her.

She spent the night with Rowan. He drove her home the next morning for the weekend.

A few weeks later, Liddy had stopped feeling sorry for herself and thought of something else she could do.

"I know ...." she said to herself, "I could spy on the Decepticons again ..... I know how I was captured the last time and perhaps I can avoid it this time ..... I hope I avoid capture. The Autobots'll hate me even more if they have to rescue me again...."

Liddy put on her scuba diving gear again and sailed out to Decepticon headquarters. She swam at a different angle, fortunately passing the radar scanners. She then found a small entrance which was unlocked. She quietly crept inside and snuck around for a while. She then heard Megatron's voice. Liddy felt frightened, hid behind a thick metal post and kept as quiet as she could. She listened intently to what Megatron was saying.

"This video tape ...." he said, "is our ultimate key to victory -- Once we play it to the Humans, they will believe the Autobots are evil, thanks to my genius .... Why didn't I think of this before? ...."

Megatron left the tape on the table and exited the room with the other Decepticons. Liddy kept as still as she could. She was passed unnoticed.

I have to get that tape ....

She waited until all the Decepticons were out of sight, then made sure no one was looking and no cameras were monitoring her. She then quietly ran into the room, jumped up and grabbed the tape from the table. Luckily, she managed to make it out of Decepticon headquarters without being detected. She sailed away to shore and drove home as fast as she could. She destroyed tape, then melted it.

"At last ....." she breathed with total satisfaction. "I did something for the Autobots ..."

This was the happiest she'd had felt in ages.

"I want to tell the Autobots about it, but they'll think I'm lying. I have no proof, except for this melted tape, but it's so mutilated, it could have been any tape ...." Liddy threw it in the garbage. "They'll think it's just to get them to like me ..... Well it is ..... sort of .... but in a friendly, personal way - as a friend. How can I ever do that?"

A few weeks later, went on a drive out into the country. She then stopped her car and climbed out. Nothing but a few large rocks and dry grass could be seen for miles. Mountains could be seen in the far distance.

"It's so peaceful out here ...."

Liddy left her car and went for a long, lone walk. She saw some Decepticons land and rushed for a large rock and hid under a smaller rock near it. She was very frightened. She tried to camouflage herself, but was quite conspicuous. Her black and white checkered suit which she wore on her first interview with the Autobots stuck out amongst the brown, dry grass. She ripped up some grass and covered herself, hoping the Decepticons wouldn't notice her.

"This is the perfect place to avoid spies and detection" said Megatron, "and the perfect place to assemble the bomb --"

A bomb? .... thought Liddy, worriedly.

The bomb didn't take the Decepticon long to assemble.

"Put it by the rock over there" said Megatron.

Liddy heard them coming towards her. She could faintly see them through the grass. She was very frightened, but tried not to shiver. Rumble and Frenzy placed the bomb down. Liddy watched them walk away. She knew a little about the deactivation of bombs, as her father had been a sergeant in the army. She quietly pushed away her camouflage and began to work on the bomb. She knew nothing about Decepticon technology, so it was quite hard. She also had to think back many years. A painful memory flashed at the back of her mind - A memory of her father. Liddy tried to forget it.

Finally she managed to deactivate it, or so she hoped ...

She quickly camouflaged herself again as the Decepticons came to get the bomb.

"This," said Megatron, with an evil smile, "will blow the Autobots into oblivion --"

That's what you think ....

The Decepticons then flew away.

Liddy quickly lifted up her skirt and ran to her car. She drove as fast as she could as near as she could get to Autobot headquarters. The Decepticons secretly planted the bomb underneath the headquarters. They flew to a high cliff. Megatron used a remote control to detonate it. Nothing happened. "WHAT??!!" Megatron tried again. Still nothing "I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS!!!! .... Foiled twice in one month! First the tape goes missing and now this!!"

"Perhaps if I were the Decepticon leader, Megatron, these unfortunate mishaps would not have happened."

Megatron pointed his fusion cannon in his face. " Perhaps you'd better shut up -- "

Starscream immediately silenced and backed away a little. The Decepticons flew back to their headquarters. Liddy drove home.

"I wish I could tell the Autobots .... the bomb's still under their headquarters, but they'd probably think I made a pretend bomb ..... I feel great about helping then, but I wish they could feel great about it too ...."

A few days later, she decided to visit the Autobots again. She bought an expensive long yellow dress, with a matching straw hat. She quickly drove to their headquarters. Ironhide swore when he saw her car pull up outside.

"Prime .... we've had enough of her. She gives us the pip! tell her to go away."

Optimus looked around. All the other Autobots shared Ironhide's view.

"Alright ....." he sighed, giving in.

The Autobots could see he was going against his will, and thanked him, respectfully. Liddy then walked into their headquarters.

"Liddy, we're very busy at the moment" said Optimus, reluctantly. "We can't do an interview today. I'm sorry. Some other time, perhaps."

"Optimus, it's not for an interview, I just want ...."

"I'm sorry, Liddy, we can't."

"But ...."

"But nothing " said Ironhide, literally pushing her out of the headquarters. "You heard the chief. Out! Prime said no!"

Ironhide then angrily closed and locked the door. Some Autobots cheered.

Liddy, outside was extremely upset, but felt she couldn't blame the Autobots.

"They didn't even look at my dress," she sobbed. "If I were to come stark naked, they probably wouldn't notice either."

Liddy sadly, angrily threw herself into her car and sped home.

Optimus Prime watched Liddy speed off. He wasn't really in the mood for a conversation with her, but couldn't help thinking he shouldn't have lied to her.

"If she doesn't slow down, she might have an accident .... I wish I didn't have to lie to her ...."

"Don't worry about it, Prime," Ironhide consoled. "She's just peeved off 'cos she didn't get her own way."

"I suppose so ...."

Liddy was in her room, ripping her new clothes off. She threw them on the floor and lay on her bed in her underclothes and burst into tears. "Why does everything always have to be so hard? Why can't they understand??? ....."

The next Saturday, Liddy went to do her household shopping. The Decepticons attacked the city that day, leaving much devastation. The Autobots knew nothing about the attack until it was over, and could do nothing to help the unfortunate, innocent victims. They were anxiously watching the news for the full outcome of damage, injuries and deaths. Some Autobots had already gone to repair the damage and, more importantly, to aid the wounded.

The news gave the following report: "1.6 million dollars in damage, 46 wounded, 14 dead, four children, five women and five men...."

Optimus Prime turned his attention away from the commercials which sounded from Teletraan I's transmission. He was very upset and in such a deep state of thought, he barely heard them, though the volume was considerably high. Optimus felt angry, but much more upset and hurt.

How could they hurt and kill so many innocent people and for what purpouse? What have Humans ever done to Decepticons? .... Why did they attack them? We're their enemies. Why didn't they attack us? ...

All Optimus Prime's questions were left unanswered. He then jerked, as he hadn't noticed how loud the television transmission was. He turned Teletraan's volume down a little, and continued to watch the news broadcast.

"Hey" said Bluestreak, in surprise, "that's supposed to be Liddy's section on the news ..... 'Bout time they had a change..."

The news reporter paused for a while.

"What's 'e waitin' for?" asked Cliffjumper.

The reporter began.

"Due to the untimely unfortunate death of Miss Liddy Spina, in the Decepticon attack today, this section is now....."

The Autobots all felt shocked. Optimus Prime quickly switched off the transmission. None of the Autobots said anything for a long while.

"She .... she's .... dead .... " stammered Bluestreak, at last.

"Why did the Decepticons kill her?" asked Optimus Prime, after a longer silence. "Did she have something they wanted? Did she do something against them, or was she an unfortunate victim of their attack? ..... "

The Autobots wished they knew the answer, but could only shrug.

"Suppose I kinda feel sorry for her now ...." admitted Ironhide.

"I know she was a pest to most of us," Optimus said upset, "but she certainly didn't deserve to die for it."

All the Autobots agreed with him.

Optimus Prime walked outside and stared into space.

"I can't help thinking it's my fault ...." he thought sadly. "We brought the war to this beautiful planet. This is our war. We must protect the Humans at all costs, even if it means sacrificing ourselves ..... But why did the Decepticons attack them? It was without warning .... without reason .... It wasn't fair ..... What did they have to gain? ..... I wish there was something I could have offered them to have prevented the attack...."

A tear rolled down Optimus Prime's cheek. He wiped it away and turned to the Autobots. "We have to find out why the Decepticons .... killed her."

Optimus Prime found that hard to say. He then transformed into his truck mode and drove out of the headquarters, followed by a convoy of Autobots. They drove as fast as the speed limit permitted to the Global News Affairs studio. It was damaged, but in good shape compared to most of the buildings in this vicinity of the city.

"Mr. Rowan MacInanny," said Optimus sadly, "we're very sorry to hear about Liddy ..." Optimus paused, then continued. "But we have to find out exactly why the Decepticons killed her. Do you have any information?"

Rowan sadly shook his head.

"Do you know if she would have any information where she lived?" asked Optimus hopefully.

"Again, I can't help you, Prime. I don't know much about her private life, but she might have something there. I know she was having problems at work, but ...."

"Thank you for your help."

Rowan nodded, feeling upset about Liddy. The Autobots drove to her apartment.

"It's too small for us to enter" noted Optimus. "We'll have to take the roof off. We'll put it back once we're finished, but we must find some information."

Optimus, Ironhide and Grapple helped take the roof off the building.

"Careful" said Optimus, gently putting it down.

The Autobots began searching for clues. They searched books, video and audio tapes, personal files, but found no clues as to why the Decepticons had killed Liddy. They were just about giving up.

"No, wait" said Optimus Prime. "We haven't searched her bedroom yet."

He looked through her chest of drawers, but found only make up, underclothes and shoes. The wardrobe contained only clothes.

"She wore many of these garments on her interviews" he noted. "Quite pretty. She was always well dressed."

Optimus saw a book, half under Liddy's bed. He reached for it and picked it up. On the front cover was a single word.

-- DIARY --

"Hmmm .... this may be the clue we've been looking for ..." Optimus opened the hard cover.

-- PRIVATE DIARY --

I hate invading on anyone's privacy, but we have to know why the Decepticons ....

Optimus read on.

NAME -- Lidiah Ann Spina. Liddy for short

AGE -- 28 at present

Optimus Prime glazed his eyes down the page of personal memoranda, but found no evidence. He then turned the page and began to read with the other Autobots.

`Dear Diary, This is my first diary ever. Got it yesterday. Well, not really my first. My first diary, I had when I was seven years old. She burned when our house burned down. There's not much to tell about my childhood, except that it was lonely. My mother died in the fire and my father died in the army when he pulled the wrong wire in trying to disassemble a bomb. I spent the rest of my childhood with foster parents.

I am now 28 years old and am a news reporter on Global News Affairs. I had always wanted to be a reporter, ever since I saw Lois Lane on Superman, and now I am. The best thing that could have ever happened to me, happened today. I was told by my boss, Rowan MacInanny that I was going to do an interview with the Autobots! I couldn't wait! I ran home, breaking my high heel shoes, but that didn't matter. I ransacked my wardrobe, but found I had nothing to wear. I went shopping and bought a beautiful four hundred dollar black and white checkered business suit. It burned a hole in my bank balance, but I had to look my best for them.

The day of the interview came. I was so excited, I could barely keep my skirt on. The interview went quite well, but a little overtime. Severely overtime, according to Rowan, but well, all the same. I wanted to stay with the Autobots to talk to them on a personal level, but Optimus Prime, the Autobot leader said they had a lot of work to do. I guess I might have been a little selfish. By the way, Diary, Optimus Prime is sooooo cute!'

Optimus Prime looked up and smiled, starting to understand how Liddy felt. He and the other Autobots read on.

`I want to get to know the Autobots on a personal level .... I want to be their friend.

Another opportunity for an interview came. Rowan didn't want me to host it as I went overtime on the last one. I begged him to let me host it. He finally gave in. I promised Rowan not to go overtime. The interview ran smoothly. I have already met the Autobots, but I feel I haven't. I really want to meet them.

After the seventh interview, I stayed outside Autobot headquarters, to see if they said anything about me. I know I shouldnt've been spying, but I really wanted to know what they thought about me. I heard Air Raid, one of the Autobots, say I was annoying. I try not to be annoying, Diary, honestly, I do, but I can't help it. A lot of Autobots say they hate my voice, but I can't help this. I can't help it that it sounds snooty. I try to make it sound different, but I can't. Nothing I did to try to change it worked.

Diary, today I went to the Autobots, not for an interview, but for a visit. It was much less formal and felt much better, but my voice still sounded like a blasted reporter. I asked questions, but out of personal interest, not out of professional interest. When I was there, I saw Optimus Prime drink an energon cube. [Transformers food] He was so gorgeous, gentle and was so polite when he was eating .... There were so many things I wanted to ask him, but I wasn't sure how and I suppose I wasn't game. Optimus Prime later said he would drive me into town, even though I had come in my car, I would have loved that, but I can't have everything. I really enjoyed myself today, but in a way, I felt sad. The Autobots still didn't understand how I felt inside.'

Optimus Prime looked up from the page, feeling sad. He then turned the page and read on, with the other Autobots gathering around him.

`The Autobots think that I'm just using them for my career - to get good ratings. I couldn't care less about the ratings. Well, good ratings is good, but who I really care about are the Autobots. I wish they would understand. Understand that they are more than just popular celebrities to me. I consider them as my friends. I wish they saw me as a friend. I want to tell them how I feel, but I can't. I won't be able to explain it properly and they won't get the right impression. Diary, how can I get them to understand? ..... How???'

Optimus Prime saw the writing was a little smudged and the paper wrinkled was a little wrinkled where a tear had dropped. He felt sorry for Liddy and slowly turned the page.

`There was a good thing that happened to me today, Diary. I heard the Autobots talking about me and I heard Optimus Prime say - Quote: "So far, all her interviews have been truthful and full as they are taped. That's a good thing about her. She doesn't lie." '

Optimus Prime looked up and smiled. He remembered saying that. He then back down at the page and read on.

`I would never lie to the Autobots, even if I was paid a million dollars to. Good friends don't lie about each other. I wish the Autobots realized that I am a good friend.

I wanted to help the Autobots, but they'd rather be helped by a Decepticon - figuratively speaking of course. I had to think of a way to help them. I thought of one right in the middle of a live news broadcast and yelled " YESSS! THAT'S IT!! " It was quite embarrassing after I realised where I was. I then started to leave. Rowan was not pleased. I told him I didn't feel too good. The truth was - I felt great! But I couldn't tell Rowan why. He gave me a weeks leave.

The idea I had come up with to help the Autobots was simple - to spy on their enemies, the Decepticons. I took scuba diving classes and bought a diving suit. I hoped everything turned out alright. Disaster. I was captured by Megatron, the Decepticon leader. I was so frightened. Frightened for two reasons: - One: The Decepticons might hurt or kill me, and two: Megatron radioed the Autobots to surrender .... This would make my relationship with them much, much worse.

It sure did. Fireflight and Optimus Prime rescued me, but Fireflight would have rather left me there. He took me home, and he wasn't too pleased about it. I asked him if I could come back to Autobot headquarters with him. I don't know why I bothered asking. I already knew the answer. Fireflight angrily threw me onto the road. It hurt a lot. It felt like every bone in my body was broken, but I felt I couldn't blame him because he didn't realize. He yelled at me. This hurt a lot more than being thrown on the road. He then transformed and took off. I waited until he was out of sight, then burst into tears, sitting in the middle of my street. I saw a truck coming down the road and wondered if I shoyuld stay there. I was still in pain, but slowly stood up and limped to my apartment.'

"Sorry, Prime ...." Fireflight confessed. "I didn't know I..."

Optimus nodded. "We are all to blame, Fireflight. We all made the same mistake." He read on.

`The next week at work, I was feeling really down and upset about what had happened. I tried not to let it show when I was on air. Rowan, my manager noticed that something was troubling me. He was worrid about me. He didn't want to fire me. We're friends and he wanted to hep me. He offered to take me to dinner that Friday night. I felt glad that someone seemed to care about me.'

"We care about you" said Optimus Prime, softly, sadly. "We all care about you."

`Rowan then took me to his house after a lovely dinner. We then watched some episodes of Rowan's favourite comedy series, They were very funny. I needed something to laugh at for all I was going through right now.

After that, it was quite late. Rowan insisted I stay the night. I agreed. It was raining outside and I did not feel like trekking home. I stayed the night with him. We had an affair.'

Optimus Prime's eyes widened a little. He blinked and read further down the page. He read about Liddy going to great risks to spy on the Decepticons a second time and how frightened she was. He read about her destroying the tape and the bomb.

"She ..... she risked her life to save us ...." he said, a tear rolling down his cheek, "and we didn't even realize .... Why didn't she tell us? ...."

Optimus looked down at the page.

`I felt I couldn't tell the Autobots about what I had done for them. They'd think I was lying or showing off. I suppose I could have showed them the melted tape and the deactivated bomb, but they'd probably think I made them for `proof.' I feel sad that they don't know, but grateful I had saved my friends.'

The Autobots were feeling grateful to Liddy, but also, extremely guilty. They slowly read on.

`A few days later, I bought a beautiful yellow dress. I wanted to go to the Autobots for a visit again. I was quite excited and hoped everything turned out alright. When I arrived, Optimus Prime said the Autobots were busy, which was true, obviously, because Optimus doesn't lie.'

Optimus quickly looked up from the page, remembering how he had lied to Liddy about that. He felt terrible. Ironhide saw how guilty Optimus was feeling.

"Prime, don't be upset. You didn't know how she was feeling, I mean none of us did. You didn't mean to upset her."

"I know, but I shouldnt've lied."

"None of us were in the mood for her then" said Cliffjumper. "And none of us knew how she felt. Don't take it too hard on yourself. We all feel bad."

Optimus knew that was true. He nodded slowly and sadly read on.

`I really wanted to talk with them and be with them. Ironhide then pushed me out of the headquarters and quickly closed the front entrance. I was both shocked and very upset. I stood up, dusted myself off, and sped away in my car. I almost crashed it and got an expensive speeding ticket. The fine and smashed headlight were nothing compared to how upset I was feeling. I was also feeling angry, but I shouldn't feel angry with them. They don't understand how I feel and they would care if they knew, but they don't know and I don't know how to tell them.

I'm so upset .... I feel like committing suicide ..... If I died, the Autobots probably wouldn't care ..... I can just hear them saying: `Good riddance.'

I just want to be friends with them, but I guess I'll never be able to. They hate me ..... Ohh.... I wish they'd understand......

..... Another thing Diary, Optimus Prime, apart from being extremely good looking, was always so kind and gentle .... I had always wanted him to touch me, but he never did.

The Autobots never realized that all I ever wanted was to be their friend.'

A tear rolled gently down Optimus Prime's cheek and splashed onto the page, smudging the words `but he never did.' He then closed the diary. All the Autobots felt as upset and guilty as he did.

".... All that time ...." he said, sadly, "all she wanted was our friendship .... and now it's ..... it's too late ...."

"I wish we'd've understood the little miss" said Ironhide, keeping a tear back. "I feel so damn guilty."

"We all do," said Optimus, "but there's nothing we can do."

The Autobots returned to the Global News Affairs studio and called Rowan.

"Did you find any information?" he inquired. "Did you find out why the Decepticons killed her?"

"No" replied Optimus. "She must've been an unfortunate coincidental casualty of their attack, but we found out something else .... We read her diary."

Rowan nodded.

"She was pronounced clinically dead at the hospital about an hour ago" he said. "She's on a life support system."

"Can we see her?" asked Optimus.

"Sure. You know where the hospital is?"

Optimus nodded and slowly transformed into his truck mode.

The other Autobots synchronously transformed and followed him. They soon arrived at the hospital. It was quite large. The Autobots were shown to Liddy's ward. Optimus Prime looked at her, lying helplessly on the bed. He looked at the life support machine. The line was almost one hundred and eighty degrees horizontal.

"She's alive" said Optimus, "but barely ...."

A tear rolled down his cheek and splashed onto Liddy's hand. Optimus knelt down and gently touched her, his warm, soft hand, covering her body. More tears poured out of his eyes. The life support machine gave a few sudden blips. Optimus Prime was too upset to notice. Feeling the warmth of his hand, Liddy very slowly and weakly, opened her eyes. She could not believe it.

She was extremely weak, but said, "Pr .... Prime ... wha ... uhh...."

Optimus Prime jerked. "Lidiah!"

Liddy had a puzzled look on her face.

"How ... do you .... know my .... real name? ..."

Optimus handed her the diary. "Sorry" he said, "I know it was private, but we had to find out if there was any special reason the Decepticons killed you. We found no particular reason, but .... we're sorry ....."

Liddy saw Optimus Prime crying. "What the matter? ...." she asked, both gently and weakly.

Optimus paused for a moment, then said, "we didn't realize how much we hurt you .... We ..."

Liddy smiled. "It's alright " she said, feeling overjoyed that her greatest dream had come true. The Autobots understand me now. Liddy still felt weak, but her condition was improving.

"I can't tell you how sorry we all are ...." confessed Optimus sadly. "Is there any way we can repay you?"

Liddy smiled gently. "Your understanding is enough" she said. "It's all I could ever hope for."

Liddy kissed Optimus's. Optimus Prime smiled and gently stroked her head.

"We felt so guilty ...." he said softly. "Thank Primus you're safe now."

Liddy was in the hospital for a few days before she was well enough to leave. The Autobots were very different towards her now. Optimus Prime then drove her to Autobot headquarters.

"Now" he said, "you're our guest. You can get to know us on a personal friendly level. What do you want to do first?"

Liddy didn't know what to say. The Autobots started her off and a friendly conversation began. Liddy tried her absolute best not to sound like a reporter and succeeded. She was grateful her ultimate dream had come true. The Autobots too were grateful they now understood her feelings.

"Liddy" said Optimus Prime, "thank you for helping us."

"Ahh .... It's alright ...." she said, smiling. "I had to."

"Thank you" said Optimus, again, "but please be careful."

"I will, promised Liddy, putting her hand on his finger.

"And you know, Optimus Prime, I think I'd like it if you and the Autobots called me Lidiah."

The Autobot leader smiled gently.

 

*

 Back to Autobot Page

 

Back to Transformers Page