Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

Summary: Pathfinder's profile and story.

Author's Note: Pathfinder created by Seawave

Rating - PG

~~~~~~~

 

PATHFINDER

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT

FUNCTION:  ESPIONAGE

"Oops. I forgot."

"Love me for who I am."

 

Profile: Not many know what his real motto is, because he keeps on forgetting it. Pathfinder forgets almost everything. Even his own name at times. He's not stupid, just extremely forgetful. He tries to remember, but it's extremely difficult fro him. Optimus Prime can explain a detailed plan to him, and within a few minutes or seconds, Pathfinder would have forgotten it. Once he spied on the Decepticons, who were planning a surprise attack. Pathfinder rushed back to the Autobots and told them. When Optimus Prime asked him when -poor Pathfinder had forgotten, and his fellow Autobots were quite angry with him. Pathfinder sulked off to his quarters and lay on the resting ledge. Hours later, still sulking, he turned around and looked at his digital wall clock 11.59 pm. Pathfinder gasped in horror, bolted out of his quarters, forgetting to open the door first, opening it in a daze and then bolted to the main control room and blurted to Optimus Prime that he remembered the Deceptions were going to attack at Midnight that night! The Autobots showed their displeasure, but Optimus Prime tried to be supportive of Pathfinder. The battle hadn't gone all that well, but thankfully it wasn't a total disaster either. Pathfinder often forgets the combination number to the door to his room, but that's no problem, in lizard mode, he can just crawl under the door! He's also an extreme optimist. Makes light on any situation. Even death, which he has come close to many times. He hates seeing anyone in a dull mood and will try to cheer them up in any way possible. He has a habit of sulking when he's upset, but usually these moods don't last beyond 5-10 minutes. If it lasts longer, he often tries to cheer himself up, or his fellow Autobots try to. Despite his forgetfulness, Pathfinder is much appreciated by his fellow Autobots. And he'll never forget that he's an Autobot.

Abilities: He's an excellent spy. Due to his small size in lizard mode, he can sneak around anywhere. The problem is, avoiding getting stepped on and when he learns of a Decepticon plan, he has to get to Autobot headquarters quickly, before he forgets it! Optimus Prime has since given Pathfinder an internal recorder for spy missions. In lizard mode, Pathfinder's capable of changing colour to suit the surroundings. He can detect all rays of the electromagnetic spectrum. In robot mode, he carries an immobiliser cannon. It's effects last for 2-10 minutes. Despite his small size in lizard mode, he's very quick!

Weaknesses: Apart from his extreme forgetfulness, Pathfinder lacks strength. He is absolutely helpless if captured in lizard mode as has no weaponry, all he can do is bite and stick his tongue out! Fortunately, for Pathfinder, he's not that easy to spot, or catch in this mode. Sometimes, when an answer is obvious, it's not too obvious for Pathfinder. He often gets depressed about his forgetfulness, even though he always tries to look on the bright side, it's sometimes quite hard.

 

-- TECH SPECS --

STRENGTH -- 4 (Lizard Mode - 1) INTELLIGENCE -- 4

SPEED -- 5                                       RANK -- 5

ENDURANCE -- 8                                       COURAGE -- 9

FIREPOWER -- 5                                         SKILL -- 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~

PATHFINDER

 

Pathfinder was a new Autobot who was extremely forgetful. Forgets his own name at times. He's not stupid, just forgetful. Very forgetful. He's also an ultimate optimist, making light of any situation.

"Pathfinder, come here for a moment," called Optimus Prime.

Pathfinder walked to him.

"What is it, Prime?"

"Why didn't you go on that surveillance mission with Jazz and Sideswipe yesterday, as I ordered you to?"

"What surveillance mission? Who are Jazz and Sideswipe?"

"I told you to go with Jazz and Sideswipe, two other Autobots on a surveillance mission yesterday at precisely twelve noon."

Pathfinder paused for a while.

"Oh ... that mission, Jazz and Sideswipe ... Oh yeah... I remember now ... I'm sorry ... I forgot ... I went to my quarters to put something away ... I can't even remember where I put it now ... and I forgot all about the mission ..."

Optimus saw Pathfinder looked upset. "I understand. Don't worry, Pathfinder, I'm not angry. I just wanted to know why you didn't go. Try to remember in future. Perhaps write it down."

Pathfinder nodded, grateful Optimus Prime was so understanding. Optimus Prime walked away. Pathfinder walked into Prowl's quarters.

"Yes, Pathfinder? " asked Prowl.

"Sorry ..." said Pathfinder. " Wrong quarters ... I-I forgot where mine are."

Prowl looked at him, puzzled. "It's thirteen doors down the corridor to your left."

"Which way is left?"

Prowl pointed. "That way."

"Thank you."

Pathfinder walked down the corridor and found his quarters. He walked in and sat on his chair, feeling rather down.

"I've got to try to remember things ... " he said to himself. "Well, at least Prime wasn't mad with me ..."

He lightened up a little.

The next day, Optimus Prime came to Pathfinder.

"Pathfinder," he said, "I need you to go on an important spy mission to Decepticon headquarters. You're the only one of us, capable of getting past their new security mechanism. In your tiny lizard mode, you will be able to sneak around the headquarters and gather all the information we need. Please do not forget. It's very important."

Pathfinder looked uneasy. "But, Prime, what if I forget?..."

"In fact," said Optimus Prime, "go now. Do you remember where Decepticon headquarters is?"

"Yes, Prime. I promise I won't let you down."

Pathfinder was determined to make up for forgetting about the surveillance mission.

"Be careful," warned Optimus Prime, concerned.

"What for?" asked Pathfinder.

Optimus couldn't help smiling a little.

"In case the Decepticons see you, and be careful, walking around, in case they step on you."

"Oh" said Pathfinder. "I hadn't thought of that ..."

"Go on," said Optimus, gently, "before you forget."

Pathfinder smiled and immediately left.

He later arrived above the ocean, above the Decepticon undersea headquarters, transformed into his lizard mode and swam down to it. He quietly and carefully snuck into a small opening, looked around. The walls of the Decepticon headquarters were constructed from purple coloured Cybernite metal. Pathfinder changed his usual black to purple to camouflage himself with the surroundings. He quietly crept along the side of the wall. Two Decepticons, Ramjet and Dirge walked past him. Pathfinder froze. If they find me ... they'll probably put me in a prison box with holes ... Or stomp on me ... yiccchhh ...

When the two Decepticons were out of sight, Pathfinder snuck around, until he found Megatron, in the main control room. Megatron was explaining his latest plan to the Decepticons. Pathfinder gave it his undermined attention. He crawled further into the main control room.

I've got to remember what he's saying ... he thought, determined.

He was concentrating so hard on Megatron's plan, he failed to notice Skywarp, a Decepticon, walking toward him. Skywarp stepped on his tail. Pathfinder stifled a shriek. It was soft, due to his tiny size, but, Soundwave, a Decepticon with supersonic hearing, heard it, but couldn't work out where it came from and began looking around.

"What is it, Soundwave?" Megatron asked.

Soundwave wanted to tell him, but feared he would look rather silly since he didn't know exactly what it was. "I heard something," he said. "But there appears to be nothing out of the ordinary here."

Megatron continued with his plan. Pathfinder was a little hurt, but like Earth lizards, he was capable of tail separation, but was still in a state of shock, crawled over to the computer and was almost stepped on by Megatron. He shrieked again.

"There it is again..." said Soundwave, looking around.

"What, Soundwave?" asked Megatron. "I hear nothing.

"It's just your imagination, Soundwave," Skywarp said. "Pay attention."

Megatron continued again, with his plan. Pathfinder concentrated, harder than he'd ever concentrated before.

Finally, Megatron finished. Pathfinder silently kept repeating the plan to himself over and over again, to prevent him forgetting it. He then found his way out of Decepticon headquarters home to Autobot headquarters, still repeating the plan to himself in his mind.

            * * *

He arrived at Autobot headquarters and ran to Optimus Prime.

"Did you get the plan?"

"Yes."

Pathfinder quickly told him, before he forgot. "That's all of it, Prime, I made sure I didn't forget."

"That's good, Pathfinder. What time are the Decepticons going to attack?"

Pathfinder, all of a sudden froze and fell dead silent. "Time?"

"What time, Pathfinder?" asked Optimus Prime again.

Pathfinder still said nothing. He looked at the floor.

"I can't believe it!" exclaimed Sideswipe, another Autobot. "First, he forgets to go on the surveillance mission with me and Jazz, and now, he takes all that trouble to remember the plan in detail - and he forgets one of the most crucial points - the time! How could anyone be so stupid?"

Pathfinder felt upset. He didn't want to lift his head from the floor.

"I can't believe anyone can be so dumb, Pathloser..."

"That's enough" said Optimus Prime, a little angry.

He then knelt down.

"Pathfinder," he said, gently, " I know this may be hard for you, but please try and remember the time. It's very important."

"I know, Optimus Prime. I'm trying ... I'm trying ..."

Optimus could see Pathfinder was upset. He comforted him.

"I'm sorry, Optimus Prime ... I ... I just can't remember."

Pathfinder ran to his quarters, almost in tears.

"I can't believe he could forget something as simple as that" Slingshot said. "It's so stupid."

"Slingshot," Optimus said, standing up, "Pathfinder is forgetful - not stupid and we're going to have to learn to accept it."

"Sorry, Prime, but what about the Decepticon attack? We don't know when ..."

"At least we know they're attacking, and the actual plan. It was hard for him to remember that. We can't blame him if we lose the battle."

"Yeah, suppose so ..."

Pathfinder sat in his quarters, sulking.

"I let my friends down - again. How could I forget? ... It seemed so simple ... Ohh ... I wish I wasn't so ... stupid!"

A tear rolled down his cheek. Optimus Prime came into his quarters. Pathfinder looked up at him.

"Don't be upset, Pathfinder, " he comforted. "I don't blame you for what happened."

This pleased Pathfinder a little, but he was still upset.

"I almost got killed - twice" he said, "and no one cares..."

"Killed?! I'm sorry, Pathfinder, I-"

"It's not your fault, Optimus."

"We do care, Pathfinder. The others just aren't used to you yet. Give them time."

Pathfinder smiled, but still felt upset. Optimus Prime walked out of his quarters. Pathfinder sat on a ledge of his quarters and sulked for a few more hours. It was getting quite late. He then looked at his digital clock to see what time it was.

-- 11.59 --

All of a sudden, Pathfinder leapt off the ledge, bolted out of his quarters and down the corridor, like a mad, rampaging wild boar, at full throttle. The Autobots stared at him, wondering what the mad rush was about. Pathfinder bolted into the main control room, panting vigorously.

"OPTIMUS PRIME!!" he yelled. "I remembered when the Decepticons were going to attack!!

"That's good, Pathfinder - when?"

"MIDNIGHT TONIGHT!!"

"That's bad ... Battle stations, everyone!"

"You sure gave us enough time to prepare ..." said Cliffjumper, sarcastically.

The Autobots did their best to prepare in the thirty-five seconds they had, immediately starting to recharge themselves and their weapons. Pathfinder looked upset and worried. Perceptor, another Autobot, came to him.

"I'm Perceptor," he introduced. "Don't feel upset. I am a little absent minded at times as well."

"You are?" asked Pathfinder, a little surprised as Perceptor was extremely intelligent. "But you probably wouldn't have ever forgotten your name."

"Well ... no ... I can't say that I have, but don't let the others get to you about it. All you have to do is try hard to remember."

"Does it work for you?" asked Pathfinder.

"Affirmative. It's a little hard at first, but you'll get the hang of it, eventually. Perhaps start making memos or something to that effect."

Pathfinder was grateful there was someone a little like him.

"Thanks, Perceptor."

"Think nothing of it."

The Decepticons attacked at precisely midnight. They began to get the upper hand of the Autobots. Pathfinder felt the battle was his fault. He didn't want to get involved, in case he hurt someone. He hated to see anything in pain, even his enemies. He walked inside. Pathfinder then saw Megatron, the Decepticon leader, about to blast Optimus Prime in his back. He carefully aimed his immobiliser cannon at Megatron and shot him, to defend Optimus Prime. Optimus spun around.

"Thank you, Pathfinder."

Pathfinder smiled.

The battle was quite long. Both sides were getting rather low on energy. The Decepticons had a forced, strategic retreat for recharging.

"Next time, Optimus Prime ..." cursed Megatron, flying off with the other Decepticons.

Many Autobots had been wounded. Some quite badly. Pathfinder felt sorry for them all. He gently picked up Mindwave, the worst of them all and carried him inside. Slingshot walked to him.

"This is your fault, you know ..."

"I told you all I was sorry. I didn't mean it ..."

"I know you didn't mean it."

"Then why are you angry?"

"This wouldn't've happened if you weren't so damn forgetful..."

"I wish I wasn't forgetful ... uh ... I can't even remember your name now ..."

Slingshot stared at him in amazement.

" It's Slingshot. S-L-I-N-G-S-H-O-T.

Pathfinder looked at him, angry. "There's no need to be insulting."

"Can't you remember anything? Do you remember your own name? It's Doofuss."

"It is not!"

"Okay, then, it's Pathfinder. P-A- ..."

"I know how to spell it! " snapped Pathfinder, angrily. "Leave me alone ... Now I've forgotten where the blasted repair bay is..."

"It's right ahead of you. You forget everything! What happened? Did someone dong you over the head when you were being created?"

Pathfinder angrily slapped him and then couldn't believe he'd just slapped another Autobot.

"Sorry ..." he said, shyly, taking Mindwave into the repair bay. "He's badly wounded, but unconscious."

Pathfinder gave Mindwave to Ratchet. Ratchet turned on a brighter light and examined him.

"It's not as bad as it looks ... there's a piece of shrapnel stuck in him."

Ratchet tried to get it out, but his hands were too big, and couldn't reach it. His Cyber-Tweezers kept slipping off. Pathfinder transformed into his lizard mode, crawled into Mindwave, clasped the piece of shrapnel in his mouth and pulled it out, then crawled out of him and gave it to Ratchet.

"Hey, thanks! You're not so bad, Pathfinder."

Pathfinder smiled. Ratchet didn't take long to repair Mindwave. Mindwave then sat up and saw Pathfinder.

"Oh ... what a beautiful lizard ... " he said, gently picking him up.

Mindwave softly stroked Pathfinder's head with his right index finger.

"Aren't you cute?" he said.

"Me? Cute?!" asked Pathfinder, in surprise.

Mindwave gasped, almost dropping him.

"It talks!!"

Pathfinder then transformed into his robot mode.

"I don't believe we've met yet " he said. "I'm ... I'm..."

"Pathfinder ..." whispered Ratchet.

"Yeah, Pathfinder ... Who are you?"

"Mindwave. I love animals."

"I can see that. Do you really think I'm cute?"

Mindwave laughed gently. "I love lizards. All animals are cute."

"I better tell you before I forget. I'm very forgetful, so please don't get mad with me if you tell me to do something and I forget."

"I won't" promised Mindwave. " I understand. Perceptor is forgetful too."

"Perceptor? Who's Perceptor?"

I saw him talking to you before the battle.

"Oh ... yes ... the red one ... I remember now."

Pathfinder rather liked Mindwave. He, Perceptor and Optimus Prime seem to understand me better than any of the other Autobots.

Pathfinder then walked to his quarters.

"Oh darn!" he exclaimed.

"What's up, Pathfinder?" asked Optimus Prime, who was walking past.

"I forgot the combination number for the computerised lock to my door. Never mind ..."

Pathfinder then transformed into his lizard mode and crawled under the door.

Optimus Prime laughed gently. "That's one way around it..."

Later, Pathfinder was very hungry, but he had forgotten where the energon room was. He frantically began to look for it and was getting very hungry. He searched everywhere, but couldn't find it. He then became frightened and began to panic.

"What if I never find it? ... I'll starve ... I'll die..."

Pathfinder was normally an optimist, but was very frightened and began to cry. Optimus Prime passed him a few minutes later. He was very surprised to see Pathfinder, sitting on the floor, sobbing and shivering. He also felt sorry for him and gently picked him up. Pathfinder gasped.

"What's the matter?" he asked, sympathetically, wanting to help.

"I ... I ... I'm starving ... and I've forgotten where the energon room is ... I'm gonna starve to death ..."

Pathfinder let out a few frantic breaths. Optimus Prime gave a small smile.

"Pathfinder, you've been sitting in front of it."

Pathfinder stared at Optimus. Optimus took him into the room and fed him an energon cube. Pathfinder drank it slowly.

"Thank you ..." he said, gratefully.

"It's all right. Take some extra energon to your quarters, in case this happens again, and try to remember the location of the energon room in future, if you can."

"I'll try. Thank you, Optimus Prime."

Optimus smiled and gently put him down. Pathfinder transformed into lizard mode and scurried off.

A few days later, Optimus Prime was explaining to the Autobots, a complex counterattack plan for the next Decepticon attack.

After he had finished, he said, "Pathfinder, we need you to go to Decepticon headquarters to find out details of the next Decepticon attack, in case my plan needs any alteration."

Optimus then quickly installed a radio transmission sender/receiver into him.

"With this, you can radio us immediately after you hear it, so you won't forget."

Pathfinder nodded and immediately flew off for Decepticon headquarters, almost forgetting where it was. He quietly snuck into the main control room, avoiding all feet. He heard the details of Megatron's plan, then scurried out of the main control room and quickly radioed Optimus Prime with the battle plan and the time.

"Are you sure that's everything?" asked Optimus, quietly.

"Yes. Over and out."

Pathfinder saw some Decepticons walking down the corridor and quickly scurried under the door to one of the quarters. He ran up the side of the storage cabinet, next to the resting ledge and stayed on it. In his rush, he forgot to change his black colour to purple and looked quite conspicuous. Skywarp came into his quarters. Pathfinder froze, hoping he wouldn't spot him. Skywarp lay on his resting ledge. He looked sideways and saw Pathfinder on the ledge, pretended not to notice, then slammed his hand down on the ledge and grabbed him. Pathfinder shrieked in shock.

"So ..." said Skywarp" if it isn't the new lizard Autobot ... What's your name again? "

Pathfinder was so frightened, he had forgotten his own name. Skywarp held his waist between two fingers. Pathfinder tried to struggle away.

"Keep still, unless you wanna be squished..."

Pathfinder thought it would be in his best interest to keep still. Skywarp then held Pathfinder by his tail, above separation point.

"Laserbeak ... dinner ..."

"I always wanted to fly ..."

"Enough joshin.' Megatron'd be interested to know we have a visitor."

Pathfinder froze.

"Uh, but first ... I think you'd better transform into your robot mode ..."

"Why?" asked Pathfinder, puzzled.

"Not very smart, are ya? Cos' Megatron'll really make ya squished lizard, if you know what I mean ... And don't try to run off..."

Skywarp then released his grip on Pathfinder, who transformed into his robot mode. Skywarp took him to Megatron.

"Megatron ... a visiting Autobot spy to see ya."

Megatron turned around.

"Excellent, Skywarp. Dismissed."

Skywarp left Pathfinder with Megatron and walked away.

Megatron looked at the Autobot.

"What did you learn?" he asked.

"No" said Pathfinder, forgetting why he had come to Decepticon headquarters in the first place and that he had already radioed all the information to the Autobots.

"In that case," said Megatron, "what is Optimus Prime's latest plan?"

Pathfinder blinked. "I ... I forgot ..."

"I warn you not to try my patience, Autobot ... What is it?"

"I told you, forgot."

Megatron repeated his question, growing angrier.

"I've forgotten. "

"Do you expect me to believe anyone is capable of such stupidity? Even the Dinobots wouldn't forget one of Prime's plans."

"I'm not stupid! " protested Pathfinder, angrily. "Just ... very forgetful. I remember Prime telling us a plan, but I forgot what it was."

"HOW DARE YOU DEFY THE MIGHTY MEGATRON?!! --"

"Megatron? Who's Megatron?" Pathfinder was genuinely confused and in his fear of being hurt or killed by the Decepticons, had forgotten why he was frightened.

Megatron screamed in anger and blasted the floor with his fusion cannon. Pathfinder jerked.

"There's no need to get so angry. All I asked was who Megatron was. Who is he?"

"You stupid, pathetic, ignorant Autobot --I AM MEGATRON! --"

"Oops ... sorry ... Told you I was forgetful."

Megatron grunted in anger.

"Why are you so angry, Megatron?"

"I DO NOT BELIEVE THIIIIISSSSS!!"

"Don't believe what?"

"SHUT UP!!"

"What did I say?"

Megatron pointed his fusion cannon approximately three centimetres away from Pathfinder's face.

"YOU'RE DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!! IF YOU SAY ANYTHING MORE, I'LL..."

"All right " said Pathfinder, "but you don't have to be so hostile."

Megatron grunted angrily.

"Is there anything else you want?" asked Pathfinder.

"You are now my prisoner, Autobot."

"All right."

Megatron looked at him, puzzled.

"You will remain my prisoner until all the Autobots have surrendered."

"Who are the Autobots? "

Megatron gave an angry grunt.

"Oh ... yes ... the Autobots ..." said Pathfinder. "My friends. Why do you want them to surrender?"

"Because ... SHUT UP!!!!"

"You just said you were going to keep me until they surrender. How long is that ... I've forgotten your name again now..."

"Megatron! How long? A few hours, perhaps. "

"How long is that?" asked Pathfinder.

"A few hours is a few hours! OHH! I DON'T THINK I CAN TAKE THIS THAT LONG!!!!"

Megatron roughly picked up Pathfinder and literally threw him out of the headquarters.

"Good riddance!"

Pathfinder was puzzled.

"Why was he so mad? ..."

He then flew started to fly back home to Autobot headquarters. On the way, transformed into his lizard mode and was chased by a large bird. He knew even if the bird ate him, it could not digest him, but all the same. "I don't want to see the inside of a bird's stomach! ..." Pathfinder realised he could transform and transformed into robot mode and left a very confused bird flying off. Pathfinder quite liked it in his lizard mode, transformed again and scurried into Autobot headquarters and walked to Optimus Prime.

"Optimus ..."

Optimus Prime looked around, but couldn't see anyone. Pathfinder gave him a little bite on his foot. Optimus jerked and looked down.

"Oh ... Pathfinder," he said, gently, picking him up. "What happened? Where have you been?"

Pathfinder told Optimus Prime what he could remember.

"Megatron was really mad with me, but I don't understand why. He said I drove him crazy ..."

"I can understand that ..." said Optimus, smiling.

"He also asked me to tell him your latest plan, but I forgot it, so I couldn't."

"Well, even if you do remember in future, please don't tell the Decepticons any of our plans."

"But ... why?"

"Because, Pathfinder, they're our enemies. We must protect ourselves and more importantly, the Universe from them, and how are we ever going to do that if the Decepticons know our plans?"

"Oh, yeah ... I remember now."

"Please do not forget that, Pathfinder."

"I promise I won't, Prime."

Optimus Prime smiled and put him down. Pathfinder transformed into his robot mode.

"Pathfinder, our original combination number for the lock on your door was 42638539, but I altered it to a 4. It'll be easier for you to remember."

"Thank you, Optimus Prime."

"It's a pleasure."

Pathfinder entered the number and walked into his quarters.

            * * *

Slowly, the other Autobots began to accept him and his forgetfulness. They often tried to help him. Pathfinder was grateful. He tried to increase his memory span. It was hard for him, but the possibility was always growing.

 

*

 ~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Seawave’s Original Character Page {Autobots}

 

Back to Autobot Page

 

Back to Transformers Page