Disclaimers:  George Lucas (Lucasfilm) owns the Star Wars Universe.

 

No profit is being made from this writing.  It is written for the enjoyment of those who wish to share it. :)

 

Summary:  Qui-Gon saves a world from destruction and makes a lifelong friend.

 

Rating M

 

Pronunciations:  Nehra  (Ne-ra) short e

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

                                                         AN OCEAN'S CARESS

 

 

  “Sith!” Obi-Wan cursed, bashing his bedside cubicle and sitting hard on his bed.

  “Don’t let Master Yoda hear you swear like that,” Qui-Gon said, coming into the room.  “And I don't need to remind you that anger leads to the Dark Side.”

  “I’m sorry, Master ... I can’t *believe* I was so careless!

Qui-Gon sat beside him.  “Everyone makes mistakes, Obi-Wan even a Jedi.  You’re not the first Jedi to lose his lightsabre.”

  “Bet it’s never happened to you.”

  “How much?”

Obi-Wan managed a small smile.  “You’re just trying to make me feel better.  I bet you never considered leaving the Jedi for a woman ... Master, I feel so ashamed...”

  “There will be many tests of your faith, Obi-Wan, as there were of mine and I could tell you some stories...”

The younger Jedi smiled.  Qui-Gon sat down.

  “So do you want me to tell you the one about when I fell in love with a beautiful woman ... and lost my lightsabre?”

  “You?  I don’t believe it.”

  “Oh ye of little faith.  Lie back.  Relax and enjoy the story.”

The young Padawan did as his Master asked.

  “It was a long time ago, before you were born.”

  “Was she beautiful?”

  “Yes, Obi-Wan, she was ... now  where should I begin ...”

 

            *     *     *

 

Anger lead to the Dark Side, but Qui-Gon couldn’t help being angry – with himself.  He’d fallen into a trap and been captured.  He’d rescued a ship full of child refugees who his captors meant to sell into slavery.  They were safely away, but he was not.  He fought valiantly, deflecting blasts, two blasts deflected back into the men’s chests.  The Jedi Master deplored killing. He felt an unpleasant tremor in the living Force, but he had no choice. The two adversaries continued to fire upon Qui-Gon in rapid succession  A third burst onto the scene, firing.  A blast made its way to Qui-Gon’s wrist.  He winced ever so slightly, gripping his weapon with his other hand.  The three had him at a disadvantage as they blasted his good wrist, sending his weapon flying.  Qui-Gon swerved their next volley, using the Force to slow and defer the blasts.  His attackers were impressed, but determined.  One blast caught him in the shoulder and he fell backwards.  Ha barely avoided the next few blasts.  Qui-Gon used the force to cause their weapons to explode.

A woman came onto the scene and picked up Qui-Gon’s lightsabre.  Although he was a little anxious, Qui-Gon was not afraid.

  “Don’t try any of your mind tricks, Jedi.”

  “Wouldn’t dream of it.”

Qui-Gon sensed the woman was hiding her fear.  He sensed her and her comrades were afraid of what the Jedi would do to them if they killed him.

  “What’s your name?” Qui-Gon asked, throwing her concentration.

  “I don’t see what concern that is of yours.  It’s Sharill.”

  “I’m sorry about your companions.  I had no choice.”

  “I am still going to kill you, Jedi.  Those children were worth a lot.”

  “I agree.  Life is priceless.”

Sharill snarled as she retrieved her blaster.  One wrong move Jedi and you’ll be splattered all over that console.”

  “My you’re charming.”

  “Concentrate a tachyon beam on the Jedi’s ship,  Make it look like it was destroyed by a tachyon anomaly.”

  “Yes, Sir.”

Qui-Gon watched his shuttle implode, then explode. He sensed they had something else in mind for him.  Ransom, perhaps?  But something else was pulling at his senses and he wasn’t sure what.

 

  “We’re losing power!”

Sharill swore.

  “We’re going to have to land on that ocean planet ... it’s the closest one...”

The woman glared at Qui-Gon.  “This is your doing, Jedi!”

He looked at innocent.  “I didn’t touch a thing.”

 

One of the consoles exploded, ripping apart two of the pirates.  Qui-Gon sensed their pain, but they had chosen this life and this was their reward.

Sharill frantically tried to stabilize the ship.  Qui-Gon tried to warn her, but she wouldn’t listen as this console too exploded, ripping her in half.  Qui-Gon could almost not bear to look, despite the woman’s less than amiable nature.  The ship was losing power fast.  Another console went, spraying toxins. 

Qui-Gon ripped off his robe which had started to smolder.  The ship neared the planet.  Qui-Gon tried to stabilize it, with the Force, but naught.  Through the tension he sensed something else.  He wasn’t quite sure what it was at first and didn’t have time to think about it as he leaps from the falling ship into the ocean and was just in time to see the ship hit a small island and explode.  And he lost consciousness and drifted to the bottom of the ocean.

 

            *     *     *

 

Qui-Gon awoke, feeling tremendous pain, though not his own.  His own body had its share of aches and pains, but nothing compared to the pain he sensed.   It almost overwhelmed him.  The Jedi Master looked around him and realised he was on the ocean floor, yet he could both see clearly and breathe.  The Force protected him as he swam closer, nearing the source of the pain.  He sensed a deep fear, though he did not sense the presence of another being and it certainly wasn’t coming from the fish.   He saw an open fissure, and began to swim toward it, though something seemed to be stopping him.  He fought against the current.  Eventually it gave way.  Qui-Gon knelt by the glowing fissure, sensing enormous pain.  He wasn’t sure whose pain it was, but he was sure he wanted to help them.  Gently he placed his hands over the warm fissure, sensing waves of the Living Force into it, soothing the pain.  Gently he closed the fissure, feeling the rock cool and the pain subside.

  //I cannot begin to say how grateful I am.//

Qui-Gon looked around, but saw no one.  Then he realised.  The planet - the ocean had just spoken to him.

  //You don’t need to,// he said gently.

  //But I feel I must.  You have saved my existence.   I am grateful and blessed to have met you.  What is your name?//

  //It is my pleasure.  My name is Qui-Gon Jinn.//

He felt the ocean smile.   //Many thousands of years ago an old Mage named me Nehra.  It means ‘Ocean of Time.’//

  //It’s beautiful.//

  //As is yours.  What does it mean?//

  //I am told it means ‘One with the Universe.’//

  //You too have a beautiful name, Qui-Gon Jinn.//

  //Thank you.//

  //I barely know you, yet it seems as though you are an old friend.//

  //Perhaps I am, from a past existence.//

  //Perhaps that is so.  Thank you again Qui-Gon Jinn.  You not only saved me, but all the creatures whom abound within me.//

  //More than a pleasure ... How did it occur?//

  //A fissure in the planet’s core ruptured.  It was tearing me apart...I can’t thank you enough Qui-Gon Jinn.//

He smiled warmly.  //Just Qui-Gon.//

  //You are injured too,// Nehra said.

Although the ocean surrounded him, Qui-Gon could feel Nehra gently touch his wounds, using her gentle currents to help heal them.

A cluster of seaweed floated down to him.

  //The gel from this plant will help heal your wounds,// Nehra said.

  //Thank you.//  He felt the ocean clasp her waves gently around his wrist, massaging it.  He smiled warmly at the unique experience.  He had been massaged before, but never by an ocean...

  //It is the least I can do,// Nehra said, her waters gently stroking his wounds.

  //Thank you.//  Qui-Gon’s eyelids began to droop.

  //You are tired, but you refuse to rest.//

Qui-Gon smiled.  //I need to get back to Coruscant.//

  //You’re not strong enough.   You need to rest.  Coruscant is not going to explode.//

The Jedi Master nodded.  //It’s not everyday one meets an ocean.//

  //It’s not everyday an ocean meets someone she can talk to.//

Qui-Gon smiled warmly.

From somewhere in hr depths, Nehra brought him some seaweed and wove him  blanket with her currents.

  //Here, it gets a little colder at night,//

 //Thank you,// Qui-Gon said, grateful to the Force this interaction was possible, as he lay under the soft woven material. 

  //It’s my pleasure.//  He swore he could see Nehra smile.

Part of Qui-Gon did not want to sleep, wanting to learn more about Nehra and her creatures.  She was the most unique life form he had ever met, but his tired, aching body needed rest.  A gentle current washed over him and it didn’t take him long to fall asleep.

 

Nehra waited while Qui-Gon slept, her creatures oblivious to how close to doom they had come.  She watched Qui-Gon sleeping soundlessly.  Never before had she seen someone so quiet, so unobtrusive, even her benign creatures made some sort of noise when they slept, but even with the whales and the dolphins, Nehra could not communicate with them as she could with Qui-Gon.  Again, she looked at the Jedi Master curled up on the soft sea vegetable blanket, his body riding and falling in tune with his silent breathing.

 

            *    *    *

 

Qui-Gon awoke, morning, noon, night, he wasn’t sure.

  //Have a nice sleep?//

He smiled.  //Yes thank you, very comfortable.//

 //In some ways I can speak with my inhabitants,// Nehra said, //but it is a pleasure to find someone I can speak to.//

Qui-Gon smiled.  //My pleasure.  It is a rare gift to be able to speak with an ocean.//

He looked above and saw schools of coloured fish swimming in formation akin to flocks of birds in the sky.  Not that Qui-Gon had not seen such things before, far from it, he had been diving before and seen many a nature documentary in his time, but to see it like this was nothing short of phenomenal, even something as seemingly ordinary as a school of fish.  As if on cue distant whale song sounded, the mystic voice of the aquatic giants resonating through the oceans.  Qui-Gon closed his eyes for a few moments and let the sounds caress him.  Slowly he opened them and stood in awe.

  //Humpback whales, nearly extinct through the galaxy...//

Nehra seemed to look sad if an ocean could indeed look sad.  Qui-Gon’s tear was lost in Nehra's waters.

  //Fortunately they are abundant here,// she said //as well as others of their species.//

  //That’s' reassuring to know,// Qui-Gon said.

 

The whales swam toward The Jedi Master and he came up to meet them and they stopped before him.  He reached out and touched one of them, touching his grey skin gently.  Qui-Gon smiled warmly as the whale nudged him gently.  They moved their tails, creating a slight current which washed over him making his drift a little and the Jedi Master realised they were playing with him.  Ever so gently one of the whales stroked Qui-Gon with her tail.  He sensed the whale's distress at a pain within her.  Gently he placed his hands upon her, using the Force to heal her.  She nudged him gently when she felt the pain had gone.

  //You're welcome,// he said with a smile, sensing her gratitude.

She rubbed against him like a loving cat.  Qui-Gon sensed a presence behind him.  He turned to see a playful dolphin.   He smiled as the dolphin chattered and was regarded warmly by the whales.  The dolphin swam closer, allowing the Jedi Master to touch him. The Jedi Master  gently stroked the dolphin's light grey skin and he smiled warmly, sending the creature's unconditional love, eyes so deep and kind, Qui-Gon deeply respected the other's quiet intelligence.  The dolphin playfully nudged him.  The Jedi Master chuckled and began to tickle the dolphin gently, the marine creature chattering with delight.

  //Do you have a name?// Qui-Gon asked

He sensed the dolphin’s true name, unpronounceable in his tongue.

  // It’s beautiful,// he said telling the dolphin his name.

  //As is your, Human Friend.//

Qui-Gon smiled.  //Thank you//

The dolphin allowed the Jedi Master to ride him.  He had always wanted to ride a dolphin, and now he was able to.  Qui-Gon hung onto his fin as he rode fast through the waters of Nehra.  The dolphin chattered away gleefully as it swam through the water, broke the surface and leapt through the cool air, then back down again.  Qui-Gon had to admit that it was exhilarating as le lay against the dolphin’s smooth skin, sending the aquatic creature his love.

  //Thank you,// he said, climbing off.

The dolphin chattered again, gently nudging the Jedi Master

  //You have a way with creatures,// Nehra said.  //Not many can converse with them the way you do.//

  //It is a gift I cherish,// Qui-Gon said.

The grey mammal chattered happily and joined his pod.

 

A small whale calf swam toward the Jedi Master, the mother seemed a little distressed.  With the Force, Qui-Gon assured her he meant no harm.  He saw the calf was a little sickly.  Gently he placed his hands on her calf, using the Force to heal her.  The thankful mother softly nudged Qui-Gon when he had finished.   The calf also nudged the Jedi Master.  Qui-Gon smiled and stroked her.

Nehra appeared to smile.  //Indeed you have a way with creatures.  She has never taken to strangers, even her own kind.//

Qui-Gon smiled again.  //I am honoured.//

The calf swam around him.

  //They see your kind soul, Qui-Gon.//

The calf gently nuzzled his hair, then returned to his mother.

 

Qui-Gon began to swim with the dolphins, they were faster than him in their own domain, though Qui-Gon did not mind losing the play race.

  //You win,// he said with a smile.

They nudged him gently again, chattering playfully as they returned to their pods.  The dolphins and whales moved off, singing to Qui-Gon.

  //They are so beautiful,// he said to Nehra.

  //Aye, they are, but you are also. You have so much beauty within you, Qui-Gon and without if I may say.  Your soul is so very pure and kind.//

  //Thank you, Nehra.  As is yours.//

Her waves seemed to smile gently, Qui-Gon’s hair swaying with the waters, feeling like the mane of an Alderaanian sea horse.  Slowly he shook his head, and took out his hair tie, his hair flowing free.  The Jedi Master closed his eyes, the pleasant tool water caressing him, allowing himself to float freely in the water, grateful for the gift the Force had given him.   Though he could not help thinking this was an indulgence.  He flowed freely in the Living Force.

  //You have given so much,// the Living Force told him.  //You have saved worlds, countless lives, the very Universe from destruction.  It is time to take something for yourself.  Indulgence is not a sin.//

  //Thank you,// Qui-Gon said.

  //I sense your pain,// Nehra said to him.

Qui-Gon closed his eyes and began to release it harmlessly into Nehra’s waters

  //Eventually this Universe will attain peace,// she said.  //Do not despair, Qui-Gon Jinn.//

  //I know,// he said, //but sometimes it seems to take too long.//

  //I understand how you feel,// Nehra said.  // But you think too much of others and too little of yourself.//

Qui-Gon smiled guiltily.  //Yes, sometimes I need to be reminded and prompted to take a little something for myself.  Thank you, Nehra.//

He swam within her relaxing waves as she held him within her being.  Qui-Gon felt completely weightless and free as her waters caressed him, calming his overstressed body and mind.  He could not even remember the last time he had a decent sleep, let alone taken time to relax.  He knew it was foolish to overwork himself, but in the past few months, so many had needed him, he had barely given himself enough time to meditate. 

He relaxed his body inside Nehra’s waters.  She smiled as she ruffled his hair with her currents.

The Jedi Master smiled.  //That feels nice.// He shook his head gently, his hair flowing free.

Qui-Gon called on the Living Force, caressing Nehra in the gentle energies.  Qui-Gon felt her tensions release and he felt her truly relax and free herself for the first time in a millennium.

  //Ohh … Thank you, Qui-Gon … You have no idea how wonderful that felt.//

  // Believe me, I do.//

  //I can’t thank you enough.//  Nehra sounded as though she was crying.

  //You don’t need to.//

She helped Qui-Gon, now very tired touched down on the sandy sea bed.    She brought some seaweed for him to eat and a blanket she had woven from sea plants.

  //Thank you,// Qui-Gon said, stretching and falling into a deep, relaxing slumber as Nehra’s waves gently washed over him.

 

The Jedi Master slept for many, many hours, his most peaceful slumber in years.  Nehra watched the subtle rising and falling of his chest, such a quiet life form, she thought, a gift from the Gods.  A gift from the Force.  Qui-Gon turned without making a sound and pulled the blanket a little higher.  Nehra smiled warmly.

 

A few hours later, Qui-Gon awoke, stretched leisurely.  //That was lovely,// he said, stifling a yawn.  He started to remove the seaweed blanket.

  //What’s the rush?// Nehra asked.  //You’re still tired. Go back to sleep.//

  //I’ve already slept for nine hours, that’s three times longer than usual.//

  //And you’re still tired.  Go back to sleep, Qui-Gon. You’re not lazy, your body needs it.//

The Jedi Master smiled.  //I know I can be stubborn at times,// he said.  //You’re just like my first Padawan.  She was always fussing over me.//

  //It is not a crime to take time for oneself.//

  //I know,// Qui-Gon said, lying down and he slept for another nine hours.

 

When he awoke, he stretched with vigour then swam in somersaults.

  //Awake yet?// Nehra said with a smile.

  //Very,// Qui-Gon said. //Feels wonderful.//

  //I’m glad.//

Qui-Gon looked embarassed.  //I need to go to the surface, to land.// he said

Nehra became confused.

  //Don’t worry, I’m not leaving, but I really need to go to the surface.//

Nehra became concerned.  //Do you need oxygen?//

   //No … it’s not that …//

Nehra smiled, realising what it was.  //Ohh, Qui-Gon, I support literally trillions of life forms and they all...//

Qui-Gon blushed.

  //You really are a sweetie, and so considerate,// Nehra said, //but it’s all right, I assure you.//

  //No … I can’t ...//

  //You’re too modest.//

  //So everyone tells me.//

  //Go on.  I won’t look.  It’s the natural order of things.  No need to be embarassed.//

Qui-Gon smiled.  //You’re right …//

He swam behind a large rock and relieved himself, then swam back to his bedding.

  //That wasn’t so bad ,was it?// Nehra asked.

  //No, it wasn’t but still, it feels a little strange.//

Nehra appeared to smile.

  //It’s silly I know,” Qui-Gon said.  //The nutrients of biological waste are essential for new life.  It’s just the conditioning of most life forms to view it as something disgusting, when it’s not, is it?//

  //No, it’s not.  I would not be able to function without it … You must be hungry after your long sleep.//

Nehra guided a fish toward him.

  //I can’t,” Qui-Gon said.  //I’m vegetarian.  No offence, Nehra.//

  //None taken.  I should have guessed.  I will being some seaweed.//

It wasn’t long before a different type of seaweed drifted toward Qui-Gon.

 //There are many thousands of different kinds, so I promise you, you’ll net get sick of it.//

Qui-Gon chucked as he ate his breakfast.  //It’s very nice,// he said, chewing the soft plant.

  //I grow it in my garden,// Nehra said, appearing to smile.  //Have as much as you want.//

Qui-Gon ate a little more than usual, but still Nehra was surprised at how little he ate for his size.

  //Qui-Gon,// Nehra said, will the Force protect you from my colder waters?//

The Jedi Master closed his eyes for a few moments.  //Yes.//

  //Good.  I have something to show you.//

Qui-Gon saw an Orca whale swimming toward him.

  //She’ll help you get there.  It won’t take too long.//

 

Qui-Gon hung onto the whale’s dorsal fin as the whale swam away.  Jedi were not supposed to crave excitement or adventure, but Qui-Gon could not help feeling exhilarated as the ocean rushed through his hair.

 

Within a couple of hours the water began to get colder.

  //Are you cold?// Nehra asked, concerned.

  //How did you beat me here?// Qui-Gon said with a smile.

Nehra chuckled softly.

  I’m fine,” he said.  //It’s a colder, but it’s invigorating.//

Nehra ruffled his long hair.  Qui-Gon smiled as the Orca gently nudged him.

  //Thanks for the ride, My Friend,// he said.

The whale chattered happily as Qui-Gon began to swim amongst the submerged ice.

  //It really is beautiful,// he said, admiring the crystal like structures, running his hand down a smooth icicle, amazed at how he could touch it and be here without freezing, and thanking the Force.  He swam to the surface of the vast ocean, a cool breeze caressing his face.  Before him lay pristine white sea ice and pack ice beyond that, and beyond that glaciers and snowy mountains.

  //It’s beautiful…//

  //The frozen lands,// Nehra said.

Qui-Gon reached out and touched the ice again thanking the Force for this rare gift.  Again he swam under the ice, the pristine blue white glow, fascinating.  He had seen ice formations like these on holovids, but to swim within one was nothing short of spectacular.  Again he thanked the Force for this special moment, knowing if it left him he would freeze to death, though he had the utmost trust in the Force, knowing it would never abandon him as he would never leave it.  They were bound to each other, an eternal bond.  Like a dolphin he swam in and out of the beautiful formations before he found an opening and leapt into the pristine white snow, gazing at the beauty surrounding him, still amazed that he was stark naked, standing in the middle of a frozen wilderness and not even feeling a chill.  He could not resist making a snowball. 

Nehra chuckled.  //Throw it here,// she said.

Gently, Qui-Gon threw the ball of ice to her.  She batted it back to him with a wave.  Laughing, Qui-Gon caught it and threw it back.

  //Can’t say I’ve ever played catch before,// Nehra said.

  //Neither have I,// Qui-Gon said with a hint of sadness.  //I never had much time for play, training as a Jedi.//

Qui-Gon smiled and immediately lay down and made a snow angel.

  //I’ve *always* wanted to do that,// he said with a smile,

Nehra chuckled.  //And now you have.  It’s beautiful, Qui-Gon.  You’d better stop now, you’re enjoying yourself too much.//

Qui-Gon laughed as he leapt up, inspected his work of art in the snow, glistening in the sunlight.

  //You know, you really are an angel,// Nehra said.  //You have done so many wonderful things … Don’t put yourself down ...//

  //Thank you, Nehra.//

  //Now, is there anything else you’ve always wanted to do?//

  //Yes.//

  //What’s that?//

  //This …// Qui-Gon took a running start and dive bombed into the water.

Nehra laughed.  //That tickles…//

Qui-Gon chuckled as he ran his hands through his hair

  //Can I go back up?// he asked.

  //Of course.// Nehra helped him up a slippery ice formation.  A small white fox had come and sniffed Qui-Gon’s snow angel   The fox seemed afraid to see such a large creature on land and began to back off.  Qui-Gon knelt down indicating that he meant no harm.  The animal approached him sniffing the air as he came, the stranger did smell quite intriguing.

Qui-Gon smiled.  //You smell nice too.//

Gently he stroked the pristine white fur, the soft fur soothing against his hands.  The fox licked his hand and Qui-Gon smiled as he began to stroke the animal gently, then he began to scratch behind his ears, which the fox enjoyed immensely.  The fox lay down and the Jedi Master began to scratch his stomach.

  //You’re spoiling him,// came Nehra’s smiling voice.

Qui-Gon smiled as well.  //I’ve never patted a fox before//

  //As they say there’s a first time for everything.//

  //I think he rather likes being spoiled,  don’t you?//  Qui-Gon ruffled the fox’s fur, then stroked the animal, enjoying his company as much as the fox was enjoying the Jedi Master’s touch.

It was not often he was able to play with animals and give them love and attention and he welcomed the gift.  He used the Living Force to aid a sore on the fox’s paw, then stroked the animal, the fox closing his eyes to Qui-Gon’s gentle touch, lying content in the snow.  He was as happy to receive as the Jedi Master was to give .  The fox licked his fingers again and Qui-Gon thanked the Force for this beautiful encounter as the fox left to join his mate.  Qui-Gon watched him run majestically through the snow.

  //You certainly do have a way with creatures,// Nehra said. 

Qui-Gon smiled warmly.

  //I don’t think he’s ever been so spoiled,// Nehra said with a smile.

  //Everybody needs to be spoiled once in a while.//

  //Now you’re talking.//

Qui-Gon chuckled as he majestically dove into Nehra’s waters once more.

  //I was beginning to miss you.//

Qui-Gon smiled and stroked her surface.  //I am yours, My Lady.//

Nehra giggled. The sound of an ocean giggling was like magic.

 

She guided Qui-Gon through her waters, again the whale came to take him back.  The Jedi Master held on tightly, but not so tight as to hurt the creature.  He closed his eyes, enjoying the exhilarating ride.  Qui-Gon decided a bit of adventure would not go astray.  He could feel the ocean becoming warmer, not that the cold waters had not been pleasant.  He stroked the whale’s smooth skin.  The aquatic mammal chattered and went to join his pod.

 

Qui-Gon swam around in Nehra’s waters.

  //You’re so graceful,// she said.

The Jedi Master smiled.  //Thank you.// The feeling of being held within an ocean was magickal, enchanting …

Nehra held Qui-Gon with in her waters, caressing him as he swam, the Jedi Master ever grateful for this special gift.

 

A sudden pain shot through him, not his own and his eyes snapped open.

  “Nehra!”  Bubbles rose as he spoke

  //Ohh ….//

He could sense her struggle and her pain.

  //It’s … it’s happening … again …//

Qui-Gon could feel her crying, the pain unbearable.  //Let me help you,// he said, his mind voice ever so gentle.

  //No .. you can’t …//

Mercifully the pain seemed to subside for the time being.

 //Nehra, please, I can help you.//

  // It’s much worse than before, Qui-Gon.//

  //Please … let me help you….//

  // It’s too great .. you’ll kill yourself…//

  //Not of I focus.//

  //It’s too much for you.  You’ll wear yourself out.//

  //Trust me.//

  //Qui-Gon, the Universe needs you.  I sense your destiny is greater than me.//

  //Nehra, please … let me …//

  //No ..the danger’s too great … I say again – the Universe needs you…//

  //Nehra, *you* need me right now.  You are one of the most unique beings I have ever encountered.  It would be a great loss to the Universe if you and all within you were to die.  The Universe needs you, Nehra, and all your beauty.  The Universe needs joy and love.  I realise death is not the end all of everything, but Nehra, I cannot let you die.//

  //I don’t want to die, Qui-Gon, but I don’t want you to die trying to save me.//

  //Do or do not there is no try, my Master always says.//

  //Qui-Gon I can’t let you do this.//

  //Please Nehra, I can’t sit back and do nothing.  I cannot let you die.//

He held onto a large rock as Nehra tried to move him.

  //Nehra please let me help you.//

  //You’re going to do it anyway aren’t you?”//

  //Yes.//

Nehra  chuckled softly and gave in.  He was determined to save her, even if it killed him.  Qui-Gon surrounded himself with the Living Force and gave himself to it completely.  He cleared himself of emotion, worry and other thoughts.  Silence followed as Qui-Gon remained submerged within Nehra’s waters.  The Force coursed through Qui-Gon and he felt the energy in every cell of his body, his body glowing.  He slowed his breathing as he concentrated on healing Nehra.  The ocean let go her fears as she felt Qui-Gon doing, amazed at the human’s strength and compassion.  His connection with the Force was so beautiful touching all within her from the largest whale to the smallest creature.  Qui-Gon felt their appreciation as he merged with the Living Force, soothing the frightened creatures as he soothed Nehra. He released the Force into the planet gently, quietening it, healing it, the energies caressing him as well as this world.  Qui-Gon remained for hours channeling the Force through his body.  He was tiring, but he refused to falter.  Nehra stilled her mind amazed at Qui-Gon’s calm, knowing he was willing to sacrifice himself for her.

 

Qui-Gon thanked the planet and the Force   He felt the pain slowly begin to ebb and the Jedi Master allowed himself to feel relief that this beautiful world had been saved, though Nehra still felt quite weak.  Qui-Gon urged her not to fear.  Nehra needed rest now and she did all she could to support the life within her living waters.  She was still amazed that Qui-Gon almost died to save her when he had met her but days ago.  Qui-Gon began to restore balance to the planet.  He was near exhaustion, but he refused to fall, staying intently focused.  Slowly balance returned to the world and the planet relaxed to Qui-Gon’s gentle rhythm.  The Jedi Master relaxed a little as he felt the waters returning to normal.  Though he was tiring, he did not falter.  Through the Force he helped Nehra on her way to recovery, though she was still quite weak and he concentrated on healing her.

 

Another hour passed in silence before Qui-Gon was satisfied that everything was all right once more.  The Force held him, though he was incredibly weak.  His body limp, he drifted to the ocean floor.  An enormous shark bore down upon Qui-Gon, though he did not have enough energy to life a finger and Nehra was too weak to help him.  But this beautiful world was safe once more and that was all Qui-Gon cared about.  He sensed the shark was pregnant.  Although he felt afraid, he felt the Force caress him and he smiled warmly.  He did his best to put the fear out of his mind.  If this was his physical end, he would accept it. 

Qui-Gon felt the shark’s mouth around him, but it did not close.  He did not feel the creature’s teeth puncture his skin.  The shark swam to a rock formation and gently placed the Jedi Master inside.  She brushed him with her fin.

  //Thank you…// he said.

  //You saved our world.  Thank *you*.//

The shark swam on.  Grateful, Qui-Gon entered a deep sleep, he desperately needed.

 

Although Qui-Gon was fast asleep the Living Force was still within him, helping return his strength.  Far off in the distance, the whales and dolphins sang to him as he and Nehra slept, using this much needed time to recover.

 

            *   *   *

 

Qui-Gon rested for eight days and nights before his body began to regain its strength.  He awoke and slept another few hours before he awoke fully.  He stretched then shook his hair out, and stood feeling refreshed and he ate much seaweed.

  //It is good to see you awake.//

Qui-Gon smiled.  //You all right?//

  //Yes, thanks to you.//

  //I could not let the Universe lose you, Nehra.//

  //And I cannot thank you enough.//

  //It was my pleasure.//

Qui-Gon felt Nehra caress him gently and hold him within her waters.

  //What can I do for you in return?//

  //Nehra, you have given me more than I ever dreamed, your gifts, and more than that your love and friendship.//

  //Qui-Gon, you are the most beautiful life form I have ever encountered.//

  //As are you,// the Jedi Master said.  //Remember the Force is With You Always.//

  //As it is with you.//

  //You gave so much to save me… Someone you barely knew.//

  //Nehra, I feel I have known you all my life and beyond.//

 //I feel the same.//

 //Your soul is as pure as your waters, Nehra.//

 //As is yours, Qui-Gon,// Nehra said, appearing to smile warmly.   //You could have died…//

  //But my death would not have been in vain.  I had to do all within my power to save you.//

  //And you did.// Gently she wafted her waters through Qui-Gon’s hair.

  //Thank you, Nehra.//

The ocean smiled at the gentle use of her name, and she surrounded Qui-Gon with a gentle current.

  //I can’t say I’ve ever been hugged by an ocean before.//

Nehra chucked and ruffled his hair.  Qui-Gon smiled, he loved it when she did that.

  //I shall be sorry to see you leave, Qui-Gon Jinn, but K know you must.//

  //Yes,// he said, sadly.  //I small miss you as well, but I promise to return to you, my beautiful Nehra.”

Gently he kissed her waters.

 

            *   *   *

 

  “That was so beautiful, Master,” Obi-Wan said, his cheeks full of tears.  “I should have known that you would not have fallen in love with an ordinary woman, Master.  An ocean.  You fell in love with and ocean.”

Qui-Gon smiled.  “Yes, I did.”

  “Thank you for telling me that story, Master. I don’t feel so bad anymore.”

  “That was the idea.  I did consider leaving the Jedi to stay with her, but I knew I could not.  I knew my destiny lay elsewhere.”

Obi-Wan embraced his Master.  “I’m glad, otherwise I never would have met you.”

  “Nor I you.”

  “Do you miss Nehra?”

  “Everyday.”

  “Then why don’t we go for a swim?”

Qui-Gon smiled.  “You’re on, Padawan.  Last one in’s a rotten pallie.”

And They both laughed, rushing to the nearest transport.

 

 

 

*

 

 

 Back to Qui-Gon Page