Disclaimer: Transformers are the property of Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic.

Summary:   After the near death of Alpha Trion and Soundwave, Optimus Prime contemplates the war.

Rating M

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

NOBODY'S WAR

                                 

The Autobots drove in convoy formation around the Australian outback enjoying the view of the sandy red landscape. An abrupt blast struck the dirt road, right in front of Optimus Prime. He jerked, swerved and transformed from truck to robot mode. The other Autobots followed. The Decepticons, all weapons blazing came into full view. The Autobots returned fire, locked in combat with their enemies.

Little did the Transformers know, their fight path neared a small outback town. The people saw the metal giants and became terrified. They knew the Autobots were not their enemies, but in the raging battle, both the factions looked as bad as each other.

The battle path left a trail of destruction. Devastating a once unique landscape. There was nothing the helpless people could do.

Optimus Prime was thrown into a large shed. He rolled away as Megatron fired at him. Optimus stood and blasted his enemy. The blast threw the Decepticon Leader into a stone building.

The town's few inhabitants scattered for cover - anywhere where they would be safe.

The battle raged on, devastating the town with intense artillery fire. Optimus Prime thought he saw something. A shadow - A human shadow.

//It can't be ...// he thought. //We saw no humans here.//

Then he saw - it was indeed a human.

"Cease fire, Autobots --" he ordered instantly.

"What?!" exclaimed Ironhide.

"You heard me. Cease fire."

"I don't geddit, Prime, why ..."

"There are humans here ... In our single mindedness, we have failed to notice them."

"How pathetic ..." came a voice from behind Optimus. There was no mistaking its owner. "Your compassion for those puny Earth Germs is revolting." He blasted Optimus in the back. The Autobot Leader was thrown to the ground. Ironhide leapt to his aide.

"We have to fight back, Prime. We're sittin' ducks if we just stand here."

"Agreed, but get all the humans to safety first."

Ironhide nodded and helped his leader to his feet.

Ironhide and Jazz gathered the terrified humans and hurried them out of harms way.

"Y'all stay here now" said Jazz. "you'll be safe."

The two Autobots rejoined the battle.

One of the humans was looking very worried.

"Greg," she said, "have you seen Brett?"

"No, Kaisa, I haven't."

The battle raged on with casualties to both Autobot and Decepticon sides.

Kaisa had gone looking, careful to stay away from the battle, still hadn't found her son. She was getting very worried indeed. "Where could he be? I hope he's not hurt ..."

Megatron became locked in fierce combat with Optimus Prime. The Autobot Leader threw him across the road. Megatron landed in front of a small building. Optimus blasted his shoulder. Megatron cursed under his breath. Lying on the ground, he aimed his fusion cannon at Optimus, ready to shoot. The Autobot fired first. Megatron threw himself out of the way and the blast hit the building collapsing it.

The battle raged. The entire country town had almost been levelled. Only a few sparse houses and the remains of the general store were left standing. Both the Autobots and the Decepticons were running low on energy. The fighting had died down and the factions were treating their wounded.

Megatron saw Soundwave lying motionless on the ground. He walked to him.

"Soundwave..." he said.

Nothing.

Megatron knelt down turned Soundwave over - There was blood everywhere. Megatron was shocked. Soundwave's chest and stomach had been split open.

"Who did this to you? ... I'll kill them ..."

Soundwave did not - could not answer. Megatron examined the wounds.

"No .... " he thought in disbelief. "It can't be ..."

It was. Soundwave's wounds were fusion cannon wounds, and Megatron was the only Transformer with a fusion cannon.

//I couldn't have done this ...'' he thought, bewildered. //Soundwave is the only one I was ever consider a friend...//

He thought back on what had happened in the battle.

//That must be it ... When I blasted at Cliffjumper, he threw himself out of my sight. I blasted in his direction and my blasts hit something. A Transformer. I was sure it was Cliffjumper. I continued blasting until I was sure he was dead... This is the Autobots fault. I'll kill them!//

Megatron paused.

//No//, he thought, reluctantly, '' it's mine. I have myself to blame for this.// He looked down at his helpless friend.

"I'm sorry, Soundwave ... This is my fault."

Megatron hoped there was some way - any way to save his only friend. He examined Soundwave's extensive wounds. He was relieved - overjoyed to find that Soundwave was still alive - barely.

Soundwave moved slightly.

" Mega...tron..." he said, extremely weak.

"Soundwave?" Megatron touched him.

"Do not ... blame self ..."

"Keep functioning, Soundwave..."

"Am going to perish ... Nothing...you can do ..."

"No .... I will not here and watch you die."

"...No other choice ..."

"There has got to be a way I can save you ..."

Megatron examined Soundwave again, to see if there was a way - any way to save his friend. He discovered a way, but he needed Nucodine liquid. He had none. The only repairing liquid he had was Trilocite, capable of healing conventional weapon wounds, the opposite to Nucodine. Soundwave was dying and there was nothing Megatron could do to save him.

"This cannot be..."

"Brett ... NO!!!!"

Optimus Prime jerked. He saw a woman, frantic as she ran toward the building. She started digging in the rubble. Optimus ran to her.

"GET AWAY FROM ME!! ... JUST GET AWAY FROM ME!!!"

Kaisa desperate, clawed at the large boulders, trying to move them. Optimus Prime did not understand. Why was she so frantic? Why was she screaming at him?

Kaisa tried to move a large concrete slab. She couldn't even budge it. Optimus Prime saw she was struggling.

"I can lift it for you" he offered.

"I DON'T WANT YOUR HELP!!!"

She used all her strength, but her efforts were negligible. Optimus Prime knelt down and effortlessly moved the slab for her. Kaisa glared at him, but knew she had no choice. They saw what was underneath. Kaisa screamed. Optimus Prime felt as if a lightning bolt had struck the pit of his stomach. It was a human child. Kaisa fell onto her knees next to him. Her screams rang in Optimus Prime's head. He wanted them to go away, but they would not. It was a chilling feeling. Tears filled his eyes. He looked again at the child. He wanted to blame Megatron, but the only one he could blame was himself. This was not something he could dismiss as an accident or something he could just merely apologise to. He did not know what to do.

Kaisa was in a state of utter shock. She blasted her anger directly at Optimus Prime.

"THIS IS YOUR FAULT YOU BASTARD!! YOU KILLED MY SON!! I HATE YOU!! ALL OF YOU!!"

Optimus Prime felt he could do nothing, but take her abuse, and he felt he deserved it.

//Yes - She's right. I am a bastard. I killed an innocent human child. I hate myself.'//

He didn't even notice Bumblebee, who had come to him, wondering what was the matter.

"Prime ..." He put his hand on his leader's shoulder.

Optimus jerked. "Bumblebee..." he said softly.

The yellow Autobot looked confused. "What's the matter, Optimus? Is the lady okay?"

Optimus shook his head. "No ... it's ..."

"What happened, Optimus? ... I mean ..."

"I'll tell you what happened!" spat Kaisa. She pointed at Optimus Prime. "He killed my son!"

Bumblebee looked shocked. "But Optimus would never do a thing like that."

Kaisa glared at him. "Then who do you suppose did this?"

Bumblebee looked at the child's body in her arms.

"It wasn't Optimus Prime's fault!" he insisted.

"It was, Bumblebee ..." confessed Optimus Prime, "although not intentionally. It was my fault."

"You see? - He even admits it."

"But he didn't mean to do it," Bumblebee said, "... I mean..."

"Don't cover for me, Bumblebee. I must accept full responsibility for my actions." Optimus looked down at Kaisa.

"How in the universe do I apologise for something like this? I do not know where to begin."

"Neither do I .... " Kaisa then looked up at Optimus Prime and saw he was crying.

"...You're really sorry ... aren't you?"

Optimus nodded. "Yes. Very sorry. If I could give my life to save him, I would."

Kaisa hesitated. "I ... I ... Thank you for that, but do not expect me to forgive you."

"How can I expect you to forgive me when I cannot even forgive myself?" He hesitated. "I understand your anger and I don't expect to be forgiven. Can I please look at him?"

"What's there to see? Brett's dead."

"Please."

Kaisa let Optimus take Brett's body from him. Optimus looked at the child, as he lay in his hand. He gently touched him. He was about to hand him back to his mother.

"By the Primordial Program!" he exclaimed, almost dropping the child, "I believe he still functions ... dead ... I detect a pulse."

"What?!" Kaisa's heartbroken face lit up like a million torches and her heart beat escalated. "Give him to me ..."

Optimus gently handed Brett back to his mother.

"You're right! Quickly! ... An ambulance!!"

"Ratchet!" Optimus called.

Ratchet instantly resumed his ambulance mode. Kaisa looked uneasy. Optimus Prime saw that.

"I promise no more harm will come to your son. We do not want to cause any more damage than we have already."

He carefully placed Brett inside Ratchet.

"There's a good chance of survival," observed the Autobot Doctor, but it's slim."

"Get him to the nearest hospital - and hurry."

Ratchet sped off, sirens blaring.

Kaisa looked up at Optimus Prime. "Tha... thank you ..."

Optimus Prime was very surprised. "Thank me?... What for?... I almost killed your ..."

"That is true, but if you hadn't detected his faint pulse, he would have died. Your kind almost killed him, then you ... you saved him."

Optimus smiled. "It is my pleasure. All life is sacred to me. It is my duty to protect it at all costs - and I almost failed to do that. You were right about what you said about me...uhh..."

Kaisa smiled shyly. "Kaisa. I'm sorry ... I didn't know what I was saying ... I ..."

"You did, Kaisa, and you were well within your rights. I forgive you."

Kaisa looked at him. " I ... I don't know If I can forgive you ... I ... I ..."

"You don't have to. I do not expect you to. If Brett dies, I will never forgive myself."

"You do care ... a lot. Thank you. I ... understand how feel. I must've made you feel even worse. I'm sorry."

Optimus smiled and stood up. "There's no need to be. I know he'll be all right."

The Autobots attended to their wounded. They needed minor repairs - all but Alpha Trion, who had been fatally wounded by a missile blast. His blood stained the ground. The Autobots looked in sadness at the oldest and wisest Autobot, their former leader, the father of the Autobots, dying before them. Optimus Prime knelt down beside him and held his hand. "Please don't die, Alpha ..."

Alpha Trion was in intense pain and extremely weak. He looked at his son. "... Nothing can stop that now ... Every Transformer has his time and my time is now ..."

"No .... I can't just stand here and watch you die."

"My wounds are too extensive ... Let me die."

"No! ... I can't!"

"You ... have no choice, my Son. There's nothing... you can do..."

Ratchet arrived back from taking Brett to the hospital.

"The kid's gonna be okay, Prime," he said, "but it'll be some time before he'll be able to walk again."

Optimus Prime felt an inner peace rise up within him. He clasped his hands together and prayed. Thank you, Primus for that ... but please save my father ...

Optimus Prime turned to the doctor. "Thank you Ratchet, but please see if there's anything you can do for Alpha Trion."

Ratchet knelt down and examined him.

"There's one way, Prime, but ..."

Optimus spun to him. "Forget the but. What is it?"

"We need Trilocite liquid - But - we only have Nucodine for the opposite types of wounds. There's no way we can save Alpha Trion without it. There's some Trilocite at our headquarters."

"Alpha can't last that long. It's too far away ...."

Tears brimmed in Optimus' eyes. "It's not fair, Ratchet...."

His friend comforted him. "Life is seldom fair, Optimus. If I could save him, I would."

Optimus nodded. "I know."

Megatron overheard that conversation and approached the Autobots. Optimus looked around and saw him. He raised his laser rifle, then saw Megatron was carrying Soundwave.

"I have not come to fight, Prime."

Optimus could see that. But what had Megatron come for?

"What do you want?"

"The same thing you do."

"I don't understand."

"You need Trilocite liquid to save Alpha Trion and I need Nucodine liquid to save Soundwave."

"You have Trilocite?!"

"Yes - and you have Nucodine."

Optimus nodded, keeping his relieved - overjoyed feelings under control.

"So what are you suggesting?"

"I am suggesting, Prime, that we swap. You give me Nucodine, and I'll give you Trilocite."

"That sounds too good to be true, Megatron, but I need proof."

Megatron produced a Cyber-Bottle of the blue swirling Trilocite liquid. "Is this good enough?"

"Yes, but how do we know we can trust you to give it to us?"

Megatron hesitated.

"You know you can trust Autobots, Megatron. Give us the Trilocite first and we'll give you the Nucodine, I promise."

Megatron knew Optimus Prime was not lying.

//If only I could trick him into handing over the Nucodine first...// - but there was no way - and Soundwave was in a worse predicament than Alpha Trion. Megatron reluctantly handed Optimus Prime the Trilocite liquid. Optimus gave it to Ratchet, then handed Megatron the dark purple Nucodine vial, as he had promised.

Ratchet gently massaged the Trilocite liquid into Alpha Trion's wounds, while Megatron placed the Nucodine over Soundwave's. Both Transformers started healing and the pain slowly began to dissipate.

Alpha Trion slowly stood, still a little shaky, but alive and glad to be that way. Optimus Prime turned around.

"Thank you, Megatron."

Megatron grunted, but he was grateful to have Soundwave back. He looked at Optimus Prime. His eyes said thank you, but he could not bring himself to say the words.

"Sentiment, Megatron?" smiled Optimus Prime.

The Decepticon Leader glared at him.

He said aloud, "Soundwave is a valued, loyal member of the Decepticon force. We cannot afford to lose him."

//Soundwave is my only friend and I do not want to lose him. //

Megatron helped Soundwave to his feet. They walked away from the Autobots.

Soundwave looked at his friend and thanked him.

Megatron looked at the other. "...I am sorry ...I..."

"No apology is necessary, Megatron. It was not your fault. You did not realise."

Megatron smiled. "Thank you for that. You have always been a true friend, Soundwave."

Soundwave appeared to smile back. Together they flew back to their headquarters.

Optimus Prime held his father close. Alpha Trion hugged his son, thanking him for his well being.

"And all that talk about you dying...." scorned Optimus, with a smile.

Alpha smiled. "I would have if ..."

"Yes. We have Megatron to thank for this."

"Megatron nuts ..." said Ironhide. "If Soundwave didn't need the stuff we had he wouldn't have given a damn."

Optimus knew Ironhide was right, but nothing would change the fact that it was Megatron who ultimately had saved Alpha Trion's life.

            * * *

Over the next few weeks, the Autobots did all they could to repair the devastation caused to the small country town in the wake of the battle.

"This is something that cannot easily be apologised for," said Optimus Prime, gravely. "...Our war has gone on for a long time. Too long ... We have at war been at war almost all of our lives. Our war has been raging for over nine million years, without an end anywhere near in sight. We Autobots have tried, many times to reason with the Decepticons and all attempts have failed. The only way seems to be to fight them, much to our regret. I despise violence in nay form, but it seems to be the only language the Decepticons understand. We do not want to fight, but we must. We fight to protect the Universe. The Decepticons fight to control it. " Optimus Prime hesitated.

Greg, Brett's father, stepped forward with his wife, Kaisa.

"I sympathise with you, Prime," he said. "Your war seems a no-win situation, like a neverending story ... but you Transformers brought you war here."

Optimus nodded. "Yes ... We crash-landed on Earth over four million years ago. We were all destroyed. In a way I wish we had stayed that way. It would have saved this planet from the horrors of our war. I am sorry - I know an apology might not mean much - if anything. I hope you understand. Our war is a Catch 22 situation, but that does not excuse our actions. I ... we deeply regret what we have done to your town - your planet, and I must accept full responsibility. I don't know how I could have let this happen. It was my fault. Ultimately no one won the battle, but this battle has wounded the Autobots more than any physical wound could. Our Prime Directive is to protect all life and we almost failed to do that. That is truly why I feel we lost." Optimus Prime looked at the town folk. "This is our war, not yours. Even if it costs us our lives, we must remember that."

Kaisa spoke up. "I realise you mean for the best, Prime, and you have saved this world many times from the Decepticons. I know you did not mean to hurt my son or devastate this town. We do understand how you feel. We forgive you for what has happened, but we cannot forget it."

Optimus Prime knelt down to her.

"Nor can I."

The Autobots had done the best they could for the town and its people. They had repaired the buildings, helped the wounded and Brett was back with his parents, recovering.

            * * *

Very late that night, the Autobots arrived at their headquarters. They were all low on energy resources and sped inside for some energon. Optimus Prime let his friends rush past him. He slowly resumed his robot mode and stared up into the clear starry sky. Bumblebee came to him.

"What's up, Prime?"

"... What? ... Oh nothing, Bumblebee ... Just ... Nothing."

Bumblebee inclined his head. "C'mon ... you can tell me..."

Optimus smiled warmly.

"I was thinking about what it was like before the war, many, many years ago. The Golden Age of Cybertron. What little I remember of it. What little anyone remembers of it - even the Decepticons ... Our war - it's so intense, it's become personal. Sometimes we even forget what we're fighting for..."

Bumblebee looked up at his leader.

"Who do you think will win, Optimus?"

Optimus Prime focused his gaze on Alpha Centauri, Cybertron's sun.

"I don't know, Bumblebee - perhaps no one."

 

                                                                                    *

 

Back to Autobot & Decepticon Fanfic Page

 

Back to Transformers Page