Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic

Summary: A story about Ravage - Featured in the BotCon '97 Magazine ["Tanya Dean" is Seawave's old human name. That name no longer has any meaning for me, lol ;) ... ] Also featured in AusTrans Fanclub Newsletter, 1997.

Rating - PG

~~~~~~

NIGHT MAGIC

 

Darkness had fallen.

He moved through the shadows of night without a sound, listening to the unique noises of the night, owls hooting, wolves howling, crickets singing and many other unique night time sounds. He stood on a cliff top, gazed out yonder, as a cool night breeze washed over him, and he stood appreciating the natural tranquillity in the crisp night air.

He lay down in the leaf mulch for a while and saw a black squirrel dart away. He could have easily caught and killed it, but saw no point in that and watched as the animal disappeared into a nearby shrub. He rested his jaw on the ground and rustled about in the leaves until he felt comfortable. He knew he wasn't going to stay put long, but enjoyed the relaxation and freedom - when he got the chance.

Ravage appreciated Earth, though he kept this a secret from the other Decepticons, except Soundwave. Earth was so strange and different from his home planet. On Cybertron there was no day or night, no animals, no forests - no biological life at all.

The black panther stood and continued to explore the night - then he heard voices and stood dead still.

"You know, Tim," Ravage could tell the voice belonged to a female Earth child, "Mum says that if you make a wish on the first star of the evening, it'll come true."

"Really?"

"Yeah, but you can't tell which one was the first star now. I'm gonna make one tomorrow night."

"What for, Dekayla?"

"Can't tell you, otherwise it won't come true."

"Oh yeah - forgot about that. Race you home, sis?"

Dekayla grinned. "You're on!"

Ravage heard them run off. He looked up ahead and saw a warm, welcoming house light on in the distance. He had no desire to attack the human dwelling and steered clear of it. He thought about what Dekayla had said and planned to make his own secret wish on the first star on another evening. Now, the sky was alight with billions of stars, and like the human child, Ravage would have to wait, but for now, he ventured further into the darkness.

When he first came to Earth, it took him a while before he went exploring this strange new world on his own. What the humans called "night" had intrigued him. Ravage felt uneasy the first few times he'd ventured into the darkness alone. It took him a while to learn his way around. Often, at first Soundwave had to retrieve him, because he'd gotten lost somewhere and Ravage was thankful no other Decepticons knew of this. He looked back fondly on those memories. Ravage soon found a bonding with the night, as if it called to him, like a constant friend. He'd never tired of venturing into the darkness and always made sure he was fully energized before he left. Nothing about the night intimidated or frightened him. He knew the sounds, smells, seasons and his way across the land like the back of his paw. Quite often he'd fly down to, and venture around the Southern Hemisphere at night, when it was daytime in the Northern Hemisphere. The sounds and smells were different there and the four seasons were reversed. The flora and fauna were also different and Ravage appreciated it just as much. He'd been on Earth for over a decade now.

Tonight he was exploring the Canadian and Northern American wilderness. However many times he'd ventured out by his lonesome into the dark, he always found something new - a new smell, a new sound, a new animal or something else. Tonight he discovered a den of new born fox cubs and was snapped and snarled at by the small vixen mother. She could never defeat him both due to her size and lack of strength compared to him. By her stance, Ravage could tell she was ready to defend her young to the death and he respected that - not that he had malevolent intentions toward the cubs in the first place. There was no point in killing innocent creatures. The black robot panther gave a low growl of respect, then backed off, indicating he meant no harm and intended to leave. Wearily, the vixen watched him go. Satisfied the potential danger was gone, she returned to nursing her cubs back to sleep, as Ravage continued into the night.

He prowled for hours curiously nosing at new and old things which interested him, like a white flower which he had never seen before. It seemed to glow in the dark with a sharp, but not unpleasant smell which made him sneeze.

Ravage walked on, the ground cool beneath his paws. Then he heard more voices - this time Autobot voices. He froze, his mouth curving up into a snarl, but he made no sound and stayed out of their sight. Prowl briefly saw something.

"Do you think this war's ever gonna end?"

"I don't know, Windcharger. I'd say one day, but when..." Prowl shook his head.

"Sure is pretty and peaceful out here at night," Windcharger admired.

Prowl looked up at the twinkling stars. "Yes, it's almost magical."

"Do you suppose the Decepticons appreciate it?" Windcharger asked.

"It's hard to imagine them appreciating anything other than violence, destruction and power, but who knows? We know so little about them - personally, I mean."

In that brief moment, Ravage felt a flicker of respect for the two Autobots. They were right. Decepticons and Autobots did not know each other on a personal level. There was so much both sides didn't know or understand about the other.

Ravage peered through the clearing and saw the two Autobots sitting in a gully, their metal glinting in the moonlight and he decided to leave them be. The last thing he wanted to do was disturb the peaceful night serenity. He had no desire to attack these Autobots and backed off slowly into the shadows.

Ravage continued on, then sat down in an open clearing, leisurely stretched his paws out in front of him and rolled around in the soft tallish grass for a while. He quite enjoyed doing this from time to time - when no one was looking.

The panther began to see the very beginnings of a new dawn and began to head back to Decepticon headquarters. It wasn't that he disliked the day. He couldn't conceal himself as well, and he wasn't fond of light, as it hurt his eyes. The sounds, smells and creatures of the day time were different and it didn't have the same magic and authentic aura of the night. The feel just wasn't the same.

Ravage arrived back home in the wee hours of the morning. Soundwave controlled the entrance to open, allowing him inside. The headquarters seemed quiet and activity was minimal. Although the Decepticons were robots and did not require sleep, some took to resting in their private quarters at this time, others were out getting up to some mischief or another, or out on missions, and so it was usually quiet at this time. Ravage liked it better that way. Too much noise, and hustling about annoyed him. He made his way into the main control room to greet Soundwave and saw him standing by the computer.

"Did you enjoy your night out?" the slender blue Decepticon asked.

"Yes. I always do." Although his voice was a growl, it was not harsh. Ravage did not speak often. He preferred not to.

He leapt up onto the console and Soundwave stroked his head gently. Ravage pushed against his hand with his head. Soundwave smiled and tickled Ravage's chin. Ravage began to let out a purr like noise and playfully, softly bit Soundwave's hand and the navy blue Decepticon smiled. With his free hand, he adjusted the monitor. "Excuse me, Ravage. Megatron asked me to monitor the area ..." Soundwave's hand danced across the console as he monitored his findings. "No Autobot activity," he reported to Megatron in his quarters through his commu-link.

"Fine," Megatron said. "Has Ravage returned?"

"Affirmative."

"I want you to monitor him in future when he decides to go off on his lonesome."

"He will not lose himself," Soundwave said, confident.

"I know, but it would be unfortunate should he require assistance and there be no one to help him."

"Yes, Megatron," Soundwave said, agreeing with his friend's logic. He ended the communication and looked at Ravage. "You don't mind?"

Ravage shook his head, inwardly pleased that Megatron thought so highly of him. The larger Decepticon switched off the monitor and Ravage play pawed his hand. Soundwave smiled and rubbed the panther's head. Ravage started to feel tired. Soundwave walked with him to the energon room and they both recharged. Ravage wanted some time to himself before reporting for active duty in the next few hours.

He walked inside his quarters - they were small compared to the other Decepticons', but large enough for him. Ravage's thoughts were momentarily with the two children he'd seen, obviously snuggled up and fast asleep by now, then his thoughts were with the Autobots he'd seen in the forest. Would they have returned to their headquarters by now, or would they still be out there in the night? Would the war end someday? Ravage did not know the answers to those questions and chose not to ponder them. He lay down in his dimly lit quarters, outstretched his paws, rested his chin on the floor and thought about Soundwave. He had a great deal of respect for him. The larger Decepticon was wiser, stronger and more experienced than he, and he protected his cassette friends. Soundwave never seemed to let the opinions of others sway him Although to others, he seemed uncharismatic, boring and dispassionate, Ravage knew he just didn't express his feelings the way others did.

The panther let out a soft grunt. Day would be breaking in a few hours and he would have to report for duty, not that he didn't want to, but somehow didn't feel like it today.

He found himself thinking about the next coming night. He wanted to make his wish on the first star of the evening, but wondered if he would venture out like he so often did, or stay in his quarters by himself, or spend sometime with Soundwave. After a moment's thought, he decided on the latter, and wondered in awe what new magic the coming nights held.

 

*

  Back to Decepticon Page

 

Back to Transformers Page