Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

 

Summary: A story about Thundercracker - My third TF fanfic.  {Since revised}

Rating - PG

~~~~~~~~

IT'S ONLY NATURAL

 

Optimus Prime paced around the control room.

"We've got to destroy that device," he said with concern.

"The Decepticons are jamming and intercepting all our transmissions."

"All right, Prime," said Hound, as he transformed into his 4WD army jeep mode. He created a hologram on himself to look like the Stunticon Dead End and drove to the Decepticon base.

Thinking he was Dead End, he was allowed inside.

Hound used his electronic voice synthesiser to sound like Dead End and he found out where the Jammer was located.

Dead End, Aka Hound walked to the room and saw the jammer. He quickly and quietly disconnected it, placed it inside him and drove out of Decepticon headquarters, and started to drive back to Autobot headquarters.

Meanwhile Soundwave was monitoring Decepticon activity.

"Why is Dead End on a route to Autobot headquarters?" he asked himself.

"What?" came a startled voice.

Soundwave whirled around in his seat to look directly at Dead End.

"The jammer's gone!" Soundwave heard Megatron exclaim.

Soundwave put two and two together in an instant.

"Impostor!" he exclaimed, pointing at the Dead End, driving away.

Hound dropped the Dead End hologram and they saw who it really was. "Decepticons! After him!"

Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Ramjet, Thrust and Dirge flew after Hound.

He just made it into Autobot headquarters, with the Decepticons blasting after him. Hound gave the device to Optimus Prime.

The Decepticons were worried what Megatron was going to do to them. There were six of them chasing one Autobot ... And they had failed. They returned to Decepticon headquarters in dismay.

"Where's the jammer?" asked Megatron.

"Uh ... we ... we ... uh..." started Dirge.

"What?! You failed?!" exclaimed Megatron. "You mean the six of you failed to destroy one Autobot?! You disgust me! All of you!"

The Decepticons cowered at Megatron's raging words. Starscream hated cowering before others, but he was angry with himself and the others for their failure.

"With that machine they can jam and intercept all our transmissions" growled Megatron.

"We have to retrieve it immediately!" exclaimed Starscream, hoping to get back into Megatron's good books - not that he gave a broken wing for Megatron, but being in the Deception leader's bad books was not a good place to be. He started to go.

"Hold it," ordered Megatron. "I give the orders here, Starscream. It'll be much to risky to take it from them with force, since there are more of them than us and they have new tight security."

"You mean we sneak in?" asked Starscream with surprise.

Megatron nodded.

"But if we attack them," said Starscream, "that'll damage some of them and we can seize the Jammer easily. Besides sneaking in is cowardly. You're not afraid to attack, Megatron... are you?"

"ENOUGH!!" roared Megatron, blasting Starscream in his stomach. "I cannot believe your stupidity! We don't have the energy reserves to launch an attack as yet. It'll be too risky. I'll go to Autobot headquarters and get the jammer. Thundercracker you'll accompany me."

"Y ... Yes, Megatron."

"I should be the one to go, Megatron," Starscream said, standing. "After all, who-"

"Shut up, Starscream," Skywarp snapped. "With your big mouth they'll detect you before you get within 1000 kilometres of their base."

"How dare you!" Starscream yelled, hitting Skywarp, to which the black jet responded with a punch to Starscream's head, to which Starscream responded with a -

"Shut up, both of you!" Megatron snapped. "Thundercracker is accompanying me and that is final."

Starscream and Skywarp scowled at each other and went their separate ways.

Thundercracker was a little frightened of Megatron, and wanted to do his best on this mission.

The two Decepticons began to fly to Autobot headquarters. When they were nearly in radar range, they flew very close to the ground to avoid radar detection. When they were almost there, Megatron landed. Thundercracker transformed from his F-15 jet mode and joined him. They walked into Autobot headquarters, through a secret passage Laserbeak had discovered, being very careful not to be detected. They walked around, trying to find the Jammer. Luckily for them, the Autobots had gone out on patrol and Ratchet was helping extra casualties at the local hospital from the recent earthquake.

Teletraan I, the Autobots' computer sensed the presence of others. He knew it was too early for the Autobots to return.

He didn't want to sound his alarm because he was defenceless against an attack. He had to lure them to the prison quarters where he could trap them until the Autobots arrived. Teletraan began Leading the Two Decepticons on a wild goose chase and lead them to believe where the Jammer 'was.'

"It's in there," said Megatron.

He and Thundercracker entered the room. All of a sudden the door slammed shut. Teletraan I's voice sounded over the intercom.

"You are now the Autobot's prisoners," he said.

Thundercracker was frightened. He tried to blast the wall of the cell with his incendiary gun, but no effect.

Megatron said, "transform into your jet mode and see if your sonic boom can shatter its walls."

Thundercracker did so. Even though Megatron covered his audio sensors, the noise was tremendous. The blue jet tried and again and again, almost deafening Megatron, but it didn't work. Thundercracker transformed on his knees. He didn't know what to do. He was frightened, but didn't want Megatron to know.

"How can we get out of here?" he asked, standing.

Megatron blasted the walls in vain with his fusion cannon. Thundercracker became more frightened. He was so nervous, that when Megatron touched his hand, he jerked it away.

"I know you are frightened." said Megatron.

"I am not!"

"Don't lie to me Thundercracker. I am warning you, do not lie to me."

He pointed his fusion cannon at Thundercracker, just for the effect.

Thundercracker nodded emphatically, cursing himself for not hiding his fear better and He felt stupid. He hadn't meant to lose control in front of Megatron ... It's just that he was so scared ... It was only natural to be firghtened, in situations like these.

Thundercracker regained control of himself and his composure. He didn't want to look at Megatron.

"Learn to control your fear," Megatron said, trying to be patient.

Thundercracker nodded. "Sorry, Megatron," he said, silently wishing that Starscream had been the one Megatron had taken on this mission. Thundercracker was not only frightened of what the Autobots were going to do to him, but he did not want to look a coward in Megatron's eyes. He chose not to say a word. In situations like this, he wasn't a good conversationalist and usually bungled his words. He stole a glance at Megatron. He told me to hide my fear. Is he frightened at all I wonder? He hides it damn well if he is.

Teletraan I informed the Autobots of the capture. Optimus Prime walked to the prison quarters and saw Megatron glaring at him. As Megatron had told him, Thundercracker tried his best to hide his fear.

"They must've come after the Jammer," said Ironhide.

"Affirmative" said Optimus. "But they're not going to get it."

Thundercracker hoped the Autobots wouldn't destroy him. He said a silent prayer to Primus. He was very nervous and jittery.

"I grow impatient, Thundercracker..."

"I'm trying my best, Megatron."

"It isn't good enough."

"Well you've had more experience than I have!" the blue Decepticon almost yelled. "Give me a break!" Thundercracker grew instantly contrite.

"You dare to raise your voice at me?" Megatron's voice was dangerously low.

"I'm sorry, Megatron. Please, I lost control..."

Megatron slapped him. Thundercracker was already frightened of what the Autobots were going to do to him and Megatron wasn't making things any better. Megatron turned blasted again and again and at the prison cell door and finally managed to blast it open. He made Thundercracker go first, then followed. They snuck around the headquarters trying to find the jammer. Thundercracker had the jitters something fierce and Megatron would've loved to startle him, but it might reveal their presence. Thundercracker gasped and jerked at every noise.

"Will you shut up?" whispered Megatron angrily.

Thundercracker nodded and tried to calm himself. They carried on sneaking about.

"We mustn't sound the alarm," said Optimus Prime, after discovering the Decepticons escape, "know we're after them. We have to sneak around very quietly ourselves and recapture them. We also have to destroy the machine before that get their hands on it."

"Okay, chief," said Ironhide, "but it's gonna feel kinda' stupid sneakin' around our own headquarters!"

Optimus Prime laughed his soft, gentle, laugh.

"Go on, Ironhide ..."

Ironhide smiled and left with the others. Optimus went the opposite way with some other Autobots.

Meanwhile, Megatron and Thundercracker were still trying to locate the jammer.

"We have to split up," Megatron said. "We'll have more of a chance of finding it if we both go off in different directions."

"No... no... I think it'll be better if we stick together..."

"What's the matter? You afraid?" The question dripped with sarcasm.

Thundercracker frowned. "No, I ..."

Megatron pushed Thundercracker into a dark corridor. The blue jet had been frightened when he was with Megatron. Now he was all alone ... But he set off to find the Jammer. Suddenly, Thundercracker gasped and froze. He could hear some Autobots talking about him and Megatron - how they'd escaped from the cell and were out to recapture them. And they were coming down the corridor ... Quickly, Thundercracker hid behind a metal slab. He tried very hard not to lose control and somehow he managed to do it.

Meanwhile, Megatron also heard Autobot voices talking about the escaped prisoners. He jumped into a metal box and closed the lid. The Autobots walked past him. Megatron's hands were shivering. Embarrassed, he willed them to stop and they did.

Thundercracker peered around the metal slab. The corridor was clear. He slipped out of his hiding spot and tried to find the Jammer. He was sneaking along the side of the wall of the corridor, not knowing there was someone else sneaking along the other side ... At the end the two bumped into each other. They both gasped and spun around. Thundercracker breathed with relief when he saw. Thundercracker saw a flicker of relief on Megatron's face.

"Watch it, you fool!" he snapped in a whisper.

"Sorry, Megatron ..."

"You go that way," Megatron, pointing down a lighter, larger corridor. "I'll go this."

Suddenly, they heard Autobot voices. Megatron quickly fled into a small room.

"Megatron!" exclaimed Thundercracker, frightened.

He tried to open the door, but Megatron had locked it.

"Let me in ... Please ..."

There was no answer. Thundercracker saw the Autobots coming. He started to run away. He was terrified.

"Me see Decepticon!" exclaimed Swoop.

Optimus Prime fired after Thundercracker and damaged his incendiary guns. Thundercracker let out a frightened noise and a gasp, but kept on running. It was a dead end. Thundercracker stopped and was terrified. He transformed and flew over the Autobots. Suddenly, the Aerialbots formed Superion and grabbed him. Thundercracker screeched and transformed in Superion's hand. Thundercracker was more than petrified. Superion could feel him shivering in his hand. Superion put Thundercracker down.

"You'd measure '10 on the Richter scale!" laughed the large Autobot.

Thundercracker was too nervous to smile at Superion's little joke. Terrified, he looked at all the Autobots around him.

"Where is Megatron?" asked Optimus Prime.

Thundercracker wanted to tell them where Megatron was, they were right outside the room, but if he did, Megatron would kill him.

"We split up. He's probably still sneaking around."

"You came here looking for the Jammer didn't you?"

"Yes," replied Thundercracker. He was afraid to lie.

Megatron found a monitoring camera in the room that he used to monitor Thundercracker. He saw the Autobots taking him somewhere. Megatron was furious and cursed himself. "I should've taken Starscream!"

The Dinobots went with Thundercracker. The others went into the main control room with Teletraan I.

The Autobots with Thundercracker stopped at a room and opened the door. The jammer was in there. Megatron stared at it through the camera. Why had the Autobots taken him to the Jammer?

Slingshot said, "would you rather us destroy you or the jammer?"

Thundercracker gasped and swallowed. He was shivering.

"Well what is it?" asked Slingshot.

The Autobots pointed their weapons at Thundercracker.

"Don't destroy me ..." said Thundercracker, frightened.

The Autobots aimed their weapons at the Jammer and fired.

"Me, Slag say you coward!" yelled Slag at Thundercracker.

"I'm not a coward" said Thundercracker calmly. "I was just frightened that's all. Wouldn't you be frightened if someone was going to destroy you?"

"Not know. Me, Slag still say you coward!"

"I am not!" snapped Thundercracker.

Slag pointed his high energy laser rifle at Thundercracker and fired. Thundercracker moved quickly out of the way. Slag fired again, just as Thundercracker fled out of the room with the Dinobots hot on his afterburners.

"Where he go?" asked Slag angrily, looking at Sludge.

"Uh, ... Sludge not know ..."

Snarl and Sludge went to join the other Autobots. Slag saw Thundercracker, fired at him and shot Thundercracker's arm. Thundercracker let out a short yelp. Why couldn't they leave him alone? He ran from Slag. Slag grabbed his hurt arm. Slag was stronger than him and was hurting his arm.

Slag yelled, "no escape Decepticon, Me Slag got you."

"No ... please don't fire ..." pleaded Thundercracker.

Grimlock pointed his rocket launcher gun at Thundercracker, ready to fire.

Thundercracker was frightened.

"No ... Please don't shoot ..."

Grimlock fired at Thundercracker, although Slag was still holding Thundercracker, Thundercracker jerked himself out of the way. Grimlock missed and nearly hit Slag. Slag grabbed Thundercracker's other arm and held both his arms tightly. He was hurting Thundercracker a lot. The Decepticon tried to struggle free. Slag's grip was getting tighter and Grimlock was pointing his gun at him. Thundercracker was frightened. He tried to struggle free.

Optimus Prime walked out of the control room.

"That's enough you two," he said angrily. "Let him go. There's no need to torture him."

Slag let Thundercracker flop to the floor and the Decepticon took the opportunity and bolted.

"Me, Slag, sorry," mumbled Slag to Optimus Prime.

"Me, Grimlock too."

Thundercracker bashed past them and ran outside Autobot headquarters. Megatron was there.

"They got the jammer," he said, tiredly.

"You look like they put you through a laser powered trash compactor."

"No, just the Dinobots."

Megatron almost smiled.

"I'm sorry I failed you, Megatron. I wanted to get the jammer, but-"

Megatron nodded. "Such things can't be helped at times."

Thundercracker didn't hide his surprise. "Megatron?"

"Don't take me the wrong way, Thundercracker - I despise failure, but even I know when to be reasonable."

"Thank you, Megatron."

"And Thundercracker - not a word of this little conversation to anyone."

"You got it."

The two returned to Decepticon headquarters.

"If I had accompanied Megatron, we would have had that jammer up and running by now," Starscream said to Thundercracker.

"Just be lucky I accompanied him. He'd've strangled you by now."

Starscream grunted. Thundercracker smiled. It wasn't often he got the last word in where Starscream was concerned.

Later that day Thundercracker transformed and went flying. He often liked to go flying on his own. He quite liked Earth and its people, although he kept that to himself. He felt it was a pity that war could destroy it all. He had often wondered why he had chosen to become a Decepticon. He wanted a purpose in life and had felt this would get him there - but had it? What Thundercracker really wanted was freedom and he had realised he was too much of a coward to admit it. He did not want to defect and join the Autobots as some Decepticons had done - and besides too much had happened between the two forces. Thundercracker knew he would be too confused and worse of than where he was now if he did that. He wanted to be free from the war, perhaps explore the universe, or maybe even settle somewhere and start a new life.

"Has anyone see Thundercracker?" Megatron asked. "I have not seen him for quite a while."

"Come to think of it, no," Ramjet said. "I haven't seen him since the day you returned from Autobot headquarters. He later left to go flying."

"That was two months ago. He should have returned by now."

"I know," Skywarp said. "I kinda miss him."

"If the Autobots had destroyed him, we would have known about it by now," Dirge said. "And we would've located him if he was damaged."

"Agreed," Megatron conformed.

Skywarp left the group. He knew exactly what his friend had done.

"Good for you, Buddy," he said quietly. "I hope you find what you're lookin' for. Maybe I'll join you someday."

Skywarp looked at the viewscreen which showed the night sky and wished his friend well.

To this day, Thundercracker has never returned.

 

*

  Back to Decepticon Page

 

Back to Transformers Page