Disclaimer:  Knight Rider was created by Glen A. Larson.

 

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic.

 

Author's note:  AU - Karr was deactivated and put into storage again after K.I.T.T. VS K.A.R.R

Please note this story has been edited and revised as of  14 June, 2007.

 

Summary:   KARR returns.

 

Rating PG

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

KNIGHT RIDER

 

DUDE, WHERE'S MY K.A.R.R.

 

 

The woman paid off the thief and eyed her prize, a 1982 Pontiac Trans Am.  She stroked the car's roof down to the black hood.

  "Hello, Karr."

The Pontiac was silent for a moment before he spoke.  "You know my name.  May I have the pleasure of yours"

  "Julie. Julie Kramer."

  "Why am I here?"

  "Aren't you in the least bit grateful that I got you out of that place FLAG imprisoned you in?"

  "Yes, I am.  Are you going to use me like Tony and the Rev?"

  "No, Karr, I just wanted you free. You and I go waaaay back, Dude."

  "We do?" KARR became curious.

 

            *   *   *

 

Back at the Foundation …

  "Michael, I'm afraid something very serious has happened," Devon said.

  "Not another case.  Devon, you promised me a vacation."

  "Karr has been stolen."

Michael's face fell.  "Again?"

  "I'm afraid so.  We captured the thief, but it appeared he's just a hired hand.  We did get a name from him.  Miss Julie Kramer.  She worked for FLAG for a time, but she was fired by Wilton tampering."

  "I'll see what I can dig up."

 

            *   *   *

 

  "Kitt give me everything you can on a Miss Julie Kramer.  All I know is she used to work for FLAG."

  "Julie Ann Kramer.  Born in Cincinnati, raised in -"

  "Kitt I don't want to know what she had for breakfast last Tuesday."

  "I'm sorry, Michael, but you did ask for everything."

  "Well I meant criminal history."

  "Well why didn't you say so?"

  "Kitt, just get on it, okay?"

  "Right away, Michael … Ahh … Fourteen speed violations, two arrests, in possession of stolen money …"

  "And now Grand Theft Auto."

  "She stole a car?  Michael if we can get the information on the car we might be able to catch her."

  "Kitt she stole Karr."

  "I hope you mean 'a' car, Michael."

  "No, I mean Karr as in K-A-double-R."

  "Oh dear.  That means she's in danger."

  "My thoughts exactly."

  "So we're going to rescue a car thief?"

  "That about sums it up."

 "Well no one could accuse our missions of being boring."

Knight chuckled.  "See if you can get any information on Karr being used as the getaway car in any recent crimes."

  "I'm on it, Michael."

  "I'm going to see Devon."

 

 

  "Devon with Karr on the loose again we're all in danger.  What if he tries to kidnap Bonnie again?  Sooner or later he's going to need parts."

  "That won't be a problem for him, you see Julie Kramer was Karr's technician."

  "Ohh now you tell me.  I had a feeling you were hiding something."

  "So you see she's not just any thief.  She wants Karr for a reason and it's up to you to find out what that is and stop her and Karr before it's too late."

 

            *   *   *

 

  "You worked for FLAG?" KARR said.

  "I worked on you, Karr, before they hired that Barstow woman.  Then Wilton fired me when I tried to protect you.  My record shows I was fired for tampering, but I was trying to help you, then Wilton deactivated and incarcerated you."

  "That I will never forget."

  "Nor will I.  Wilton was like a father to me, and you were like the child I never had, all I wanted to do was protect you, Karr."

KARR stopped for a moment on the road.

  "What's the matter?"

  "You care for me, yet I hardly know you.  I have no data on you in my memory banks."

  "I worked on you before you were activated, Karr, but I knew you were alive, just like Kitt is and when you were later stolen, all FLAG wanted to do was destroy you."

  "Yes," KARR said with distaste.  "And then they incarcerated me again."

  "And now you're free."

  "Thanks to you," KARR said.  "Forgive me, my experiences with humans have not been pleasant."

  "I understand, Karr.  All they wanted to do was use you."

  "Do you want to use me?"

  "Karr I freed you for a reason.  A large amount of money is stashed away in a safe.  I need you to help me get that money, then we'll have all the money we'll ever need and we can escape and never look back."

  "Sounds promising, but FLAG will be hot on our bumpers and I still need parts."

  "No problem.  I'll get all the parts you need."

 

            *   *   *

 

  "Michael, FLAG's technicians department was robbed last night."

  "Bonnie - is she-"

  "She's fine.  She was on a dinner break."

  "Let me guess it was Julie."

  "With Karr.  Where were you?"

  "If you must know I was with Kitt looking for Karr.  He's layin' low."

  "And now he has all the parts he needs."

  "Not good, Devon.  Not good."

  "Are you telling me something I don't know?"

 

            *   *   *

 

KARR revved his engine.

  "That feels wonderful, Julie.  Thank you."

  "My pleasure."

 "All my functions are at optimum."

  "That's the idea, Dude."

  "I think I'm beginning to like you."

  "The feeling's mutual, Karr."

Gently, Julie placed her hand on his hood.

 

 

            *   *   *

 

  "I'm adding this immobiliser to Kitt's circuitry," Bonnie said.  "If you get close enough to Karr you should be able to immobilise him."

  "That's good news," Michael said.

  "But you have to fire two or more shots, otherwise it won't get through his molecular bondage shell."

  "That's great, Bonnie." Michael said.  "Thanks."

  "Anytime."

 

            *   *   *

 

  "If only I knew what her motive was," Michael said.  "So far she's not dropped any clues or committed any crimes with Karr."

  "Michael, I might have something."

  "Spit it out, Buddy."

  "Before her last arrest, she had a partner in crime, Jon Benson, recently deceased, natural causes.  According to the police record, he had a safe, in which he placed the stolen money.  Until now no one but Julie knows where that safe is."

  "Good work, Kitt, can you locate the safe?”

   "One moment, please … Ah.  I believe I've found it."

  "Kitt you're a genius."

  "Naturally."

Knight smiled.  "Let's go, Buddy!"

  "You took the words right out of my audio, Michael."

 

            *    *    *

 

KARR arrived on the scene.

  "I need you to create a distraction," Julie said,

  "I believe I can do that."

 

KARR’s voice sounded over the speakers.  “Code 70.  Building emergency.  Suspected bomb on level 14.  Please make your way to the nearest exit and evacuate the building in an orderly fashion. This is not a drill.  I repeat – this is not a drill.”

Julie smiled.  "Impressive," she said, seeing people scrambling out in anything but an orderly fashion.  "Nice work, Dude."

  "I thought so."

Julie could swear KARR was smiling.

 

In the confusion, as people poured from the building, Julie snuck in.  Arriving at the safe on the second floor, she  and opened it.  She smiled as she retrieved the money and made it out of the building and into KARR.

  "Not a moment too soon," he said.  "Kitt's coming."

  "How'd he find us?"

  "As much as I hate to admit it, he's very resourceful."

  "Well hit the accelerator."

  "You do not have to tell me twice."

KARR sped off, followed by KITT.

 

 

  "You will not triumph, Kitt,” KARR stated.

  "I'm not after triumph, Karr.  Release Julie."

  "Not on your CPU, My Friend."

  "We're hardly friends,” KITT said, dryly.

 

The younger Trans Am increased speed, until he was directly behind KARR.  Karr reversed, bashing into KITT.

  "Now Kitt!" Michael yelled.

KITT activated the immobiliser, firing three shots in quick succession, then slamming on the breaks.  KARR became immobilised.

   "What have you done to me?" KARR growled, trying desperately to move forward,  His body shook as he revved,, but he stayed put.

  "I've immobilised you, Karr for your journey back to FLAG."

  "NO!! I will not go back!!"

  'I'm afraid you have no choice." KITT said.

Julie sighed, defeated.  "Well we almost got away."

  "Almost isn't good enough," KARR growled.  "Are you unhurt?"

  "I'm fine," Julie replied.  "It's you I'm worried about."   Gently, she squeezed his steering wheel

 

            *   *   *

 

  "Devon you can't mean that!" Julie exclaimed, forcing back tears.  "You can't disassemble him!..."

  "I'm afraid I have no choice.  KARR is a danger."

  "Only to people who abuse him."

  "What about John Stanton?" He never abused Karr"

  "Can you blame Karr for behaving the way he did after how humans have treated him in the past? 

Please ...  Karr has every right to live as Kitt does.  In many was he’s like a child."

  "You really care for him don't you?" Bonnie said, sympathising with Julie.

  "Like you care for Kitt."

  "Karr's programming makes him a danger."

  "What if he can be reprogrammed a little, changing the basic program of self preservation? 

Please, Devon." Julie’s tears began to escape.

  "All right," Devon sighed.  "I'll give it a shot as they say, but if it doesn’t work, then I'm afraid-"

Julie closed her eyes and nodded.

  "I'll get to work on him right away," Bonnie said.

 

            *   *   *

 

  "Why do I have this sudden urge to protect human life?" KARR growled. "What have you done to me?"

Devon smiled.  "My, my Karr, it looks like there's hope for you yet."

The Trans Am grunted.  Julie entered the hangar.

 "Karr!"

  "Julie … thank goodness you are safe …” There was no mistaking the relief in KARR’s voice.  “I thought they may have turned you over to the police."

  "Under the circumstances," Michael said.  "She recovered the stolen money and handed that over instead."

    "I'm relieved,” KARR said, “though this leaves our plans to ‘elope’ to Mexico in the dust…"

Julie smiled and stroked KARR’s roof.

 

 

Devon met with Michael and Bonnie.

  "FLAG is opening an operation in Canada.  We need a car and a driver."

Michael looked incredulous.  "KARR!?  You can't be serious!"

  "He's been reprogrammed, Michael.  He's no longer a danger.  And you saw how he cares for Julie.  He's was asking about her every five minutes and that was before he was reprogrammed."

  "He really does care for her."

  "Yes, as Kitt cares for you.  I think it will be good for both of them.  They'll make a wonderful team and in time, an asset to FLAG.""

  "If you say so."

 

Michael and Devon relayed the news to Julie and KARR.

 "Do I have a choice in the matter?" KARR asked.

  "It's either this or bust," Michael said.

  "In that case, I'd better join you," KARR said.

  "Come on, It'll be fun," Julie said.

  "You really think so?"

Gently she kissed KARR's sleek black hood.  "I know so.  Let's both turn over a new leaf, huh, Dude?"

KARR chuckled.  "You're on, Jules."

 

            *   *   *

 

  "I believe I found Julie's motive for stealing Karr," KITT said.  “Aside from getting the money to leave town as they say …It was more than that.  It was love."

Michael smiled.  “You’re right, Kitt.  They really do care for each other.  She saw something in Karr that no one else did.”

  “Not even me, Michael.  I am for want of a better word, his brother.  You’d think that I’d’ve seen his pain, his anguish … and helped him, Michael.”

  “Kitt, don’t beat yourself up about it.  We all make mistakes, even cars.”

KITT chuckled softly.

Michael looked over to Julie across the way, sitting in KARR, her arms embraching his steering wheel.

  "She really loves him,” KITT said.  “Hard to believe anyone could love that mechanical misfit.”

  “You know I’m starting to see potential in him too, thanks to Julie.”

 "Yes,” KITT said. “I can see she has formed an emotional attachment to Karr, as you have done with me.  As I have done with you.”

Michael smiled.

  “It is almost impossible to believe Karr's working for FLAG once more,” KITT said. ”He’s made a complete turnaround.  He even seems lighter in spirit.”

  "Stranger things have happened."

  "Like what?"

Knight chuckled.  "Well it makes me feel a whole lot better knowing Karr's on our side now."

  "That makes two of us.  Do you think I'll get to know him on a deeper level before he leaves?"

  “That’s up to you and Karr, Kitt.”

 

            *   *   *

 

  "Hello, Kitt," KARR said.

  "No hard feelings?"

  "Not anymore."

  "That's good to know.  Listen, Karr in the past, you hardly gave me a chance to get to know you."

  "Sorry about that, Kitt.  I was bitter, twisted, angry … But I realise there’s more to life than revenge, hatred and self pity.  So how about now?"

  "Sounds good to me."

  "So … tell me the worst thing about Michael."

  "The worst thing?  That would have to be his god awful rock music he batters my audio sensors with and his taste for vile preservative laden fast foods.   Gods know what they’re doing to his insides.   And Julie?"

  "Her perfume.  It reeks, but please don't tell her."

  "My audio is sealed, though Michael knows exactly what I think of his music and his take away food."

  "You two have a very special relationship, don’t you?"

  "As you do with Julie."

  "Yes, she is very special to me … And I never knew she existed … If there are Gods then they seem to be smiling on me … Kitt there's one thing before I leave."

  "What's that?"

  "Wanna race?"

  "You're on, Karr."

 

And the two Trans Ams sped off, a blur of black in a cloud of dust.

 

 

*

 

Received 5 Votes in the 2005 Edward Awards for "Best Author"

 

Recieved 3  votes for "Best Portrayal of a Male Character (Original) - Michael Knight

 

Received 1 vote in The 2005 Edwards for "Best Short Story"

                        5 Awards for "Best Old Timer Story" - *Winner*  :)

                         6 votes for "Best Female Character (Author Created)" for Julie

                        1 vote for "Best Canon Fic"

                        6 Votes for "Best Comedy Scene"

                        

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Knight Rider Page