Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

Summary: Soundwave befriends a human who risks her life to save his

Rating - PG

~~~~~~

FRIENDSHIP: THE FULL MONTY

 

A Decepticon/Autobot battle took place in the business area of a human suburb. Neither faction seemed to be winning.

Joxette Montgomery sat in the high rise purple tinted glass office building. Bored at her desk, she continued writing a story. At least she had some time to herself, but it had been a long, tiresome shift. Oblivious were she and her co workers to the battle raging just street parallel to their soundproofed building.

Beyond boredom, Joxette began to pack her things and leave an hour early. There was nothing more to do. Hardly anyone else here and she felt she deserved it today. She gathered her notepad, pens (never left home without them), lunch box and folder, placed them inside her large black canvas bag and left the office.

Once outside, she thought she heard laser fire. At first she dismissed it as the sounds from a near by drive in movie theatre. They were probably playing some sci-fi epic. Too bad. She loved science fiction, but right now she was too pooped to go to a movie, and besides she didn't have a car - but then she actually saw real laser blasts cut across the sky.

"Ohh ..." she gasped, backed off a little and stayed to watch. She'd never seen Transformers in real life before.

A navy blue one blasted an orange and red one whom fell to the ground.

"Surrender, Blaster."

"Not on your life, Soundwave."

The one called Blaster whipped out his gun and shot Soundwave whom crashed through some trees.

Joxette gasped and backed off a little more, behind a bricked up shrub enclosure. Oh boy, they were even bigger in reality!

Blaster aimed his gun when Soundwave kicked out and tripped him, which gave him enough time to stand. However, Blaster grabbed his gun and shot Soundwave in the stomach, throwing the Decepticon backwards across the street, Joxette watched in anxious amazement from her vantage point.

Soundwave's transforming mechanisms were damaged by the blast and he transformed into tape recorder mode before he hit the pavement. As hard as he tried, he could not revert back into robot mode.

Blaster stood across the street and smiled. "This time I've got ya good, Soundwave."

A cold shiver traversed the Decepticon. Was this it? Would Blaster kill him? Was he meant to die here and now? Although Soundwave hoped for no answers to all the above questions, he refused to lower himself to grovelling. That was Starscream's forte.

Joxette stood, still hidden from both Transformers' views. She wrenched her folder out of her bag, then tripped, the folder and its contents sprawling out in front of Soundwave.

"Ohh..." Joxette gasped, fumbling around for her papers.

Blaster couldn't fire with her in the way - an then he was shot in the chest by Skywarp.

Joxette quickly gathered the rest of her folder's residents, inserted the blue folder into her bag, then looked around, carefully picked up Soundwave, placed him in there too, and closed the flap. Anxious, she continued to walk to her bus stop, her pace brisk.

Sitting in the bag, Soundwave was both confused and nervous at the turn of events and frustrated that he still couldn't transform.

What seemed longer than an hour, Joxette arrived at her bus stop and took a taxi to her apartment.

When home, she unlocked her door, placed her bag on the sofa and drew her curtains. Carefully she took Soundwave out.

He assumed the human had picked him up thinking someone had dropped him there and now had no doubt claimed him as her own. Although he had other plans. First -

"Are you all right?"

Soundwave was startled at first ... but maybe she was one of those humans who talk to their things ... or-

"Come on, I know you're a Transformer."

There was no point in hiding it now.

"Release me, Human, or-"

Joxette smiled. "Relax. I'm not gonna hurt you."

At first this sounded ridiculous, but Soundwave realised she could quite easily harm him in this small mode and thanked the Universe that his cassettes were not within him. He became afraid, but she said she wasn't going to harm him ...

"It's okay," she said. "I saw him about to shoot you... and well I ..."

"You tripped on purpose?" Soundwave said, becoming even more surprised.

Joxette sighed. "Well yeah ... I did."

"You may have been killed."

"I was pretty sure I could pull it off... I knew he wouldn't shoot at a human. He got shot, when I picked my stuff up, then I put you into my bag. He didn't see me take you."

"That is fortunate."

"Yeah." There was a pause before she continued. "Do you really think he'd have shot you? I mean the Autobots are supposed to be the good guys, aren't they?"

"Depends on your point of view."

"I guess so," Joxette said. "I suppose both sides think they're right."

Soundwave became more intrigued by this human. She didn't seem as single minded as the others he'd encountered since being revived on Earth 11 years ago.

"Oh ... sorry ... My name's Joxette Montgomery," she said, "although my friends call me Monty."

"Soundwave," he replied.

"Well, Soundwave, you should be safe here for the time being. I didn't see any Autobots following the bus when I came home ... I hope it wasn't too stuffy for you in my bag."

"No, it was ... soft."

"...I ... I guess it was kinda strange and scary too, huh?"

Soundwave said nothing.

"Come on, that guy was about to blast you - there's no shame in being scared. I'd be scared of someone pulled a gun on me."

"You are perceptive," Soundwave said.

"Thanks ... look I can tell you don't like people who babble a lot ... Sorry if I seem to be ... It's just that I've never met a real Transformer before ..."

"It is quite all right ... I thank you for removing me from imminent danger."

Joxette smiled. "Rescuing you, you mean ... It was my pleasure. I know you're a Decepticon and all, but I couldn't let him kill you."

"Your assistance is much appreciated."

The human smiled again. "Let me know if you need anything. Oo! ... Are you hungry? Do you need to eat?"

Soundwave was mildly amused at the human's words, but also grateful. She seemed to care about his well being.

"Affirmative," he said, "though not in the same way humans do. Transformers require pure energy."

Joxette thought. "Hmm ... How about electricity?"

"Compatible."

"Great! ... So how do I feed you?"

If Soundwave could have smiled, he would have.

Joxette wondered how to make her 'house guest' happy. "I know!" she exclaimed. "I'll be back soon."

She rushed into her office room, rummaged about, ransacking the place and grunting with frustration until she grabbed a box full of papers, pens ... stuff ... and found what she was looking for. She rushed back to Soundwave, trailing a black cord.

"Hope it fits..."

Soundwave examined the cord, then controlled a small panel on his side to open. "I have modified the unit. It should fit now."

Joxette plugged the cord into the socket, then gently attached it to Soundwave. "So you can absorb power with this now?"

"Affirmative."

"Well be careful. Don't fry your circuits or anything."

Soundwave had never gained sustenance in this manner before and indeed planned to use caution. He began to draw power from the socket and was relieved to find it as compatible as he had expected and nothing seemed to be going awry. Soundwave felt his tense systems relaxing. He was indeed quite hungry. It had been a long, intriguing, but taxing day. He disconnected himself from the power source when he did not require any more. He did not need much energy in this mode.

"Thank you, Joxette," he said.

She smiled. "Had enough to eat?"

"Yes."

"That's good. I'll leave the cord attached, so you can have more whenever you want."

"Appreciated."

Joxette was a bit worried at the state of her next electric bill, but she could hardly let him starve.

"Just call me if you need anything," she said. "I'm gonna have a bath."

Soundwave was aware of many needs of biological beings - bathing was one. Transformers sometimes bathed, though not for reasons of hygiene. It was very relaxing. Soundwave had a feeling he could trust Joxette and he hadn't even performed a surface mind scan.

Joxette sat in her very warm blue bubble bath, relaxing and wondering what to do about Soundwave. She couldn't simply contact the Decepticons - she may be found out and arrested

... and she had a feeling Soundwave would have contacted them already if he was able. She washed herself with a creamy bar of purple soap.

Soundwave tried again to contact Decepticon Headquarters. No response. Although he was expecting that, he wasn't happy. He was the Decepticon Communications Expert and he couldn't even radio his own position and status. He was very put out indeed.

Joxette emerged from the waters clean, relaxed and fresh. She shook some white musk talcum powder onto herself, dressed in her night gear and put her dirty clothes in the wash basket, then fixed herself something to eat. Soundwave was very quiet. Joxette worked on a story for a while, then checked on him.

"You okay?"

"Status unchanged."

"Were you sleeping? Sorry if I woke you."

"No," Soundwave said. "Transformers seldom require sleep."

"Okay, well call me if you need anything .... Sorry. I said that already ..."

"I shall notify you if I require assistance."

"I'm going to sleep now for about eight to nine hours."

"Pleasant dreams."

Joxette smiled.

Although tired, she lay in her bed wondering about Soundwave. Wouldn't he be worried and scared? If he was, he hid it well. Joxette knew she'd feel that way in his position - with a stranger miles away from home and friends in an awkward position. And how did he feel about her? Did he feel like a prisoner in her home? Did he resent her? She hoped not. Eventually she became too tired to think. Her eyelids resigned and she fell asleep.

Soundwave sat on the small table in the lounge room, next to the television. It was now pitch dark outside and he could hear the faint night sounds Ravage had often told him about. He took in his surroundings. Neatly packed shelves and desk along one wall, a sofa along the other, a few things on the floor, the room illuminated by a pleasant ceramic dolphin lamp. Soundwave felt strange and out of place here, but secure at the same time. He would rather be here than out on the streets. He tried again to radio any Decepticon who could pick up his signal, but there was no change in the results. Soundwave refused to believe he'd be stuck like this forever. He grunted in frustration when another attempt at contact failed, although he knew the chances were slim.

 

He couldn't help feeling bored. He couldn't do anything except document his experience in his memory banks for future reference and to share it with Megatron if - no when he got back. There was nothing interesting on television or radio he could tune into. Soundwave decided to shut his non-essential systems down. Right now he needed some rest and needed to rest his mind as well. A lot had happened in the past day and Soundwave knew the more worried about it he became the more tired he would get and the worse the situation would seem.

Joxette never left Soundwave alone in the house and took him everywhere she went, in case the Autobots found him somehow. There was no way she could protect him if he was sitting in her apartment and she wasn't there. She'd always put him in a secure part of her bag, lined with soft linen. She also tried to carry as little as possible in her bag in case she had to make a run for it, and to keep Soundwave as comfortable as possible. She did her best not to jostle her bag whilst carrying him and became very cross when anyone bumped into her. She slung the bag over her shoulder for safety - she couldn't let some bag snatcher to run off with Soundwave and she planned to run like the clappers if she saw anything suspicious.

Meanwhile at Decepticon Headquarters ...

Megatron, although he didn't let it show was very worried about Soundwave. So were the Cassettes who were less concerned about hiding their feelings. They were as determined to find Soundwave as Megatron. The Decepticon Leader had returned with them to the battle site, and angrily returned empty handed and no better off.

The Cassettes felt so alone without Soundwave to guide and protect them. Megatron refused to accept that Soundwave was dead or that he'd never see him again - but what if he didn't? He knew he'd have to take care of Soundwave's children. He'd never had that responsibility before and silently wondered how well he'd handle it. One thing which gave him hope was there were no Transformer parts strewn at the battle site and Laserbeak reported that the Autobots had no prisoners. That told him that Soundwave may still be alive. At least that was a good thing - but where the hell was he? Megatron knew he'd have contacted the base if he had gone out by himself. His scans had turned up nothing. Megatron bashed his desk in frustration.

            * * *

"What?!" Optimus Prime exclaimed. "You're sure?"

"Yeah," Blaster said. "Me and Soundwave fought. I shot him, he shot me ... then I shot him again and he got thrown across the street, Tf'd into tape deck mode. His transformin' circuits musta busted. Anyway this human lady was there. She like trips and drops some stuff. When she was pickin' her things up, like I got shot and when I came around she and Soundwave were gone."

"So you're sure she took him?"

"She musta. There was like no one else around and Soundwave's damage wouldn'ta repaired itself in that shorta time ... like that girl doesn't know what danger she's in ..."

"How can we get to her?" Optimus asked, concerned.

"I think she might work at the Omni Pacific building."

"Contact them."

            * * *

"Shit!" Joxette exclaimed.

"What is it?" Soundwave asked, slightly startled by her sudden outburst.

"How could I be so f@#$%$# stupid?!! I work for Omni Pacific Communications ... We can try and contact Decepticon Headquarters from there."

Soundwave hesitated before he spoke. "I appreciate your concern and enthusiasm, but is it not a large risk for you?"

"Yes," she said, "but I'm willing to go through with it. I can transmit on a secure channel."

"If we are discovered, you may lose your employment." Soundwave knew that 'jobs' were very important to a lot of humans.

"I have to help you ... what can I say ... It's in my nature to help those in need and hey - I've always wanted to take a big risk ... you know be like James Bond ... or something like that."

If he could have in this mode, Soundwave would have smiled. Open compassion was a rare quality Decepticons sometimes lacked.

Joxette gently picked him up. He felt safe with her, even though he knew she couldn't protect him if the Autobots found her, no matter how determined she was - and he had no doubt that they would have discovered what had happened sooner rather than later.

Joxette started to leave her apartment. It was now very chilly and somewhat windy outside.

"Ahh slag this ... We'll get a taxi."

"Is it not expensive? You only work two and three days week."

Joxette smiled. "You're so sweet, Soundie, but I can afford it. It's not so bad once in a while - when I come back I can get a cab charge from the company."

Joxette retreated to her apartment and dialled the taxi number. When she grunted, Soundwave surmised that she had been put on hold. Fortunately it wasn't too long before a taxi was ordered.

Soundwave could tell she was nervous - so was he. She left a light on and walked up to the street where she waited a little longer than she would have liked for the taxi, becoming more and more anxious.

"Relax," Soundwave said, knowing he needed to take his own advice.

Joxette smiled and tried, but it was hard to simply relax, although she knew she needed to otherwise she'd be too nervous and that wouldn't do her or Soundwave any good.

When she arrived at Omni Pacific, Joxette flashed her security pass at the guards and took the lift to the fourth floor. She turned the lights on in a corner of the room and accessed a terminal.

"I'll do it here." she whispered. "There's usually no one around now."

She linked up Soundwave to the computer. "Tell me if this hurts. You can communicate with me via the linkage so no one'll hear you."

Words came up on the screen 'But what about you? Will they not think you are strange for talking to a tape recorder?' Joxette laughed softly. "Soundie, they think I'm strange anyway."

Soundie. He quite liked that.

Joxette began to set up the equipment.

"Won't be long now ..."

"Monty?"

Joxette froze, as she recognised the voice of Peter, one of the security guards, no doubt on his patrol.

She turned to him.

"Hi."

"What you doin' here so late? Thought they put ya on day shift."

"They did. Just doin' some research."

"Hey, did you see Buffy last night?"

"Sure did. I so love Spike."

Peter smiled. "Yeah ..."

Soundwave recalled the show. He'd found it intriguing, but was more concerned about their cover being blown.

"Gotta go," Peter said. "When you on next?"

"Thursday, eleven AM to seven PM."

"See ya then, Warrior Princess."

Joxette smiled. She rather liked him. It wasn't often she met someone with the same interests to talk to. She waited until Peter had left the floor before talking to Soundwave.

"That was close ..." Joxette breathed, "he's my friend, but I'd hate to have to explain this to him ..." She completed the linkage. "Okay, Soundwave, do your stuff."

Meanwhile at Decepticon Headquarters in the main control room...

"Incoming message," Thundercracker informed. "Text only."

"Text?" repeated Megatron in surprise. "Patch it through."

Curiosity piqued, he began to read the words coming up on the screen. "Soundwave!" he exclaimed, although not too excitedly. "I'll handle this," he said to Thundercracker. "Dismissed."

The light blue and white Decepticon nodded, feeling grateful that Soundwave would be back - at least communications would be again in order and Megatron wouldn't be so grumpy. Although no Decepticons said anything to Megatron, it was fairly obvious to some of them that he cared for Soundwave.

'I'm relieved you're receiving me,' Soundwave relayed.

'You're relieved?!' came the typed reply.

Joxette smiled.

'What is your status?' Megatron inquired.

'Functional, apart from being stuck in tape recorder mode.'

'I assume you did not have the means to contact me earlier.'

'Correct.'

'Where are you?'

"Give him my home address," Joxette said.

Soundwave did so. 'I will be at that location in over an Earth hour. Joxette, a kindly human has been assisting me.'

'A human?'

'Affirmative. She has been most helpful.'

Joxette smiled and gently rubbed Soundwave.

'I will be at there in approximately five Earth hours' Megatron replied. 'I would be there sooner, but energon reserves are low.'

'Thank you, Megatron.'

Soundwave could see his friend smile.

'Well I can hardly leave you there, can I? Megatron out.'

Joxette smiled. It was like a parent picking up a lost child. She cut the connection and totally erased all record of the communiqué.

'Thank you,' Soundwave typed.

"My pleasure," she said. "I'm as relieved as you that we got through."

Joxette disconnected Soundwave from the computer, wrote out a cab charge form and left the building.

She had a good feeling about Megatron coming to get Soundwave, but a bad feeling also about something she couldn't quite put her finger on. She clutched her bag close to her all the way home, but not too tightly as to make Soundwave uncomfortable. She felt she couldn't let anything happen to him.

Meanwhile the Autobots contacted the security of Omni Pacific Communications and told them that Joxette may be in danger. They did not give any details, as they did not want the situation to get out of hand or spread panic.

"Monty .... she was just here ..." Concerned, Peter gave them her home address.

When she arrived home, Joxette was nervous, excited and absolutely thrashed at the same time.

"Thank you," Soundwave said. "I appreciate the risk you took."

"It was worth it and kinda fun ... and, hey, that's what friends are for."

"Indeed."

"I guess we wait for Megatron now."

"You need rest," Soundwave observed. "I will wake you when he arrives."

Joxette nodded. "Okay. Thanks." She carried Soundwave into the kitchen while she practically wolfed down some olive-less Greek salad and leftover vegetarian sushi. "I'll keep you in my room tonight."

She waked with him into her bedroom, cleared out a draw and lined it with some soft polyester toy filling and black satin, then plugged Soundwave into the power and he began to draw from it the sustenance he needed. He was quite hungry. Joxette nibbled on a chocolate bar before laying her head on her soft pillow. Soundwave disconnected himself from the power flow when he was fully energised.

"I deeply appreciate your help and hospitality," he said. He didn't say how relieved he was that she'd found him, but he'd a feeling she already knew that.

"It was my pleasure," and she kissed him.

He wished he could return the gesture and watched her lay down facing him.

While Joxette slept, Soundwave tried to think of what he could offer her in gratitude. He used the attached cord to link up to gain access to her computer and discovered that beneath her cheerful, caring, strong exterior, she was over $15 000 in debt ... she longed for her own place to live. She paid something called 'rent' here, which she considered to be throwing money down the dunny (toilet). Inside she was screaming for peace and a way out. Soundwave also accessed a file which she called her 'want list' which detailed material items, such as furniture, computer upgrades ... things she wanted and needed, including approximate costs. She loved to write and aspired to be a writer. Soundwave smiled to himself. He knew how he could help her.

Sometime during the night Soundwave heard something outside, a quiet touchdown and footsteps, definitely Transformers. Something told him it wasn't Megatron, than he heard whispering voices.

"Are you sure this is the right place?"

"It must be..."

Soundwave recognised the voices as Cliffjumper and Blue Streak.

"Joxette... Awaken."

She began to wake. Soundwave spoke her name again.

"Are you okay?" she asked, tired, but concerned.

He spoke as quietly as possible. "There are four Autobots outside."

Joxette drew in a hard breath. She peered out of the curtains. "Oh, God ..." She disconnected Soundwave from the power cord. She thanked the stars that she had a dark blue night dress on, which would be camouflaged against the night, but where would she go? Exactly How long would Megatron be? ... Joxette had no time to think now. She placed Soundwave in a small black Star Trek: The Next Generation bag and slowly opened the curtains. She had to get away and the front door was the only way in or out. She quietly opened it and tiptoed around the stone pillar into the side garden.

"Hey!" yelled Blue Streak.

F@#$ ... Joxette gasped and did a runner. Optimus Prime reached out. Joxette threw a rock at his hand. "Leave me alone!"

Blue Streak tried to grab her and she squealed.

"Blue Streak ... It's all right," Optimus Prime calmed. "We are not going to harm you."

Joxette scowled. "Go away and leave me alone."

"Look we wanna help you," Cliffjumper said.

"I don't need your help," Joxette snarled.

"A few weeks ago you found a small dark blue tape recorder," Blaster said. "It's Soundwave, a Decepticon. Like you're lucky he hasn't hurt you. You got no clue what danger you're in..."

Joxette laughed. "Danger! Hmph!"

"His transforming circuits were damaged in the battle, after I blasted him," Blaster said. "Then I got blasted and when I woke up, you and Soundwave were gone."

Joxette was furious. "Then you got blasted? Forgot to add that you were about to blast Soundwave again in his small, practically defenceless tape recorder mode. If I hadn't faked being a total klutz who knows what would've happened? You Autobots are supposed to be the 'good guys.' Like killing a helpless enemy ain't my idea of a hero."

Optimus Prime turned to the red and yellow Autobot. "Blaster, is this true?" he demanded, startled at the human's accusation.

Blaster fell silent.

"Well is it?"

"Yes it is," Joxette snapped.

"Okay .... But I never shot him, did I?"

"That doesn't change your intent," Joxette accused.

"I'll deal with you later," Optimus said, glaring at Blaster, who now felt about six inches tall.

Good, Soundwave thought. It's about time someone kicked his butt.

"We will not harm Soundwave," Optimus promised.

Joxette calmed and relaxed her tense body. She knew she could trust Optimus Prime.

"Indeed you will not harm him," came Megatron's voice, as he landed, fusion cannon pointed at Optimus. Prime spun around, rifle trained on his arch enemy.

"I have come for Soundwave," Megatron said, "nothing more." There was no point in denying the obvious.

"Compassion, Megatron?"

"Soundwave is efficient and good at his job." Although he meant much more to Megatron than that, there was no way he'd let Optimus know that.

Prime lowered his rifle. "I apologise, Megatron."

Megatron could tell the Autobot leader was embarrassed about the whole situation.

"Accepted," he said. "This time."

"Thank you." Optimus turned to his fellow Autobots. "Let us go," he said.

"But Prime-" Cliffjumper started to protest.

"We're out of our league here," Optimus said, much to Megatron's amusement, but he also respected his arch enemy's admittance. It was not easy to admit a mistake or misjudgment in the presence of a foe.

Megatron waited for the Autobots to leave. He wanted to kill Blaster, but felt he should leave that up to Soundwave.

Joxette looked up at Megatron, a little nervous.

"He does not bite," Soundwave said.

Joxette smiled, as did Megatron. The Decepticon Leader did not let her see how touched he had been by her concern for Soundwave. He hadn't thought any humans would care for Decepticons, not that he blamed them, but this one, well she was different.

"It seems thanks are in order."

"My pleasure," Joxette said, handing Soundwave up to him.

Megatron held the tape recorder in his hand and ran a scan on him. "You're so tiny in this mode .... Ahh I see what the problem is ...."

"Can you fix him?" Joxette asked, anxious and hopeful.

Megatron nodded, again impressed by the human's concern.

"Yes," he replied, "but not here."

"That's good news." Although she would miss Soundwave.

"I thank you again," Soundwave said.

"Hey, anytime," Joxette smiled, willing her tears back, but she knew Soundwave belonged with his people. She watched Megatron take off until all she saw was a shiny white streak across the sky. She did not have many friends in this world and she was glad to have made another, even if she may never see him again. Joxette didn't want to return to her ordinary life. She often tried to spice it up, but reality always bit back. This was one of the most exciting and moving experiences of her life. She was glad Soundwave would be all right, but a large part of her was sorry to see him go. She retreated into her apartment and flopped on her bed, cried a little, then stopped, knowing that the main thing was that Soundwave was safe and sound, and was going to be repaired and she fell asleep with that happy thought.

            * * *

Again, Megatron ran the repair scanner over Soundwave. He picked up and adjusted a Cyber Medcorder.

"This might tingle a little. Your transforming mechanisms are well and truly stuck. Tell me if it hurts too much."

"Affirmative."

It did hurt quite a bit and Megatron turned the power down a little. "I can stop it if you like."

"Negative. Putting it off will solve nothing."

Soundwave sat through the pain, though it didn't last long.

"There, that should do it."

"I shall endeavour to transform." Soundwave began to, then fell back into tape recorder mode. "Ouch."

Megatron smiled. "Try again."

Soundwave did. This hurt much more than the Medcorder.

"Stop if it's too painful."

Soundwave tried, but snapped back into tape deck mode again with a grunt of frustration. Megatron carried him to his quarters.

"A warm energon bath should do the trick."

He placed Soundwave inside the swirling pink liquid.

"Now, try again."

Soundwave waited for a few moments. The warm energon helped soften his mechanisms. He struggled and with Megatron gently pulling on his arms and legs, determined to do it this time, Soundwave finally managed to transform into robot mode. Slag, that hurt! He gasped and fell back into the energon bath.

"Soundwave?"

"Primus ... do I feel stiff?!...."

Megatron smiled. "I bet you do. Now - you're not to emerge from here until you feel better. You're always telling me when I should rest - now it's your turn."

Through the pain, Soundwave smiled. "I have no arguments."

By the Matrix, this energon bath felt so good! .... Soundwave sank deeper into the tub and let the swirling liquids wash over him

"Mmm....ohh..."

"That good is it?" Megatron said with a smile. "I'll leave you two alone."

"Thank you, Megatron," Soundwave said, feeling grateful for his friend's assistance.

As Megatron left the tall dark blue Decepticon submersed himself under the warm energon and let it soothe his aching body and he fell asleep under the pleasant liquid, grateful his worries had ceased.

It was a full twelve hours before he awoke.

            * * *

Optimus Prime arrived back at Autobot Headquarters with Blue Streak, Cliffjumper and Blaster. He dismissed the former two. Before addressing Blaster he radioed Peter at Omni Pacific Communications and told him that the whole thing was false alarm. In a sense it was. The one he had called Monty was in no danger. Optimus did not want to tell him what had actually transpired in fear of her safety. Human magazines/newspapers would gobble up a story like this and Optimus knew that other humans may not be as understanding as she had been when it came to Decepticons and felt that both Joxette and Soundwave would rather this kept a secret.

Blaster's feet shifted around - he felt very uneasy and thanked Primus that Optimus was not Megatron and wouldn't blast the lubricant out of him, but considering what would follow, part of him would have preferred that.

Optimus Prime glared at him. "I can't believe any Autobot would violate the Autobot Code."

Blaster remained silent. This was much harder to deal with than simply getting blasted and warned never to do it again. He thought back to the moment. Would he have pulled the trigger? Would the blast have killed Soundwave?"

"Well?" Optimus demanded.

Blaster didn't know what to say.

"I know how you feel about Soundwave," Optimus said. "I'm not exactly in love with him either - but that doesn't give you the right to kill. You know that's not our way, unless we have no other choice - and you did. How furious do you think I've been with Megatron at times?"

"All right ... I'm sorry, okay? And the blast may not've killed him."

"I suppose you think that makes everything better?"

"Well what the f#@% d' y' want me to do??"

"Don't get angry with me, Blaster. This isn't about me."

Blaster knew he was right. "I really am sorry," he said softly. "I didn't think."

"That's just it, Blaster. None of us like Decepticons or what they're doing to the Universe, but they are sentient beings."

"...I know ... but they don't care about anything like except destruction and Universal domination."

"Oh? Then why did Megatron come for Soundwave? My sensors indicated that he was low on energy and couldn't even get one blast from his fusion cannon."

Blaster looked surprised.

"Surprised me too," Optimus admitted. "So, Blaster, tell me how you would feel if a Decepticon killed one of your close friends?"

"I ... I never thought of that ..." Blaster felt more and more uncomfortable. "Like I said ... like, I'm sorry, okay?"

"There's no need to act 'cool' all the time. I know how you're feeling. It's a hard situation to overcome."

Blaster nodded, feeling grateful Prime at least understood, but he also felt furious - with himself.

"Monty ... Joxette, the human risked her life to protect Soundwave. What if you had pulled the trigger too late and killed her? She obviously saw something in Soundwave that you never have."

Blasted nodded. "He seemed to care for her too... I never thought any Decepticon could..."

"Neither did I for a long while."

"Why does this have to be like so slagging complicated?" Blaster held back a tear.

Optimus Prime shook his head. "So much has happened since the war started, Blaster, I don't have an answer for that."

The red and yellow ghetto blaster managed a smile. "Thanks, Prime. I'm sorry. I really am."

"I know, and I know I don't have to tell you never to do this again."

Blaster nodded and began to leave.

"Oh, no..." Optimus said. "You're not getting off that easily."

Uneasily, Blaster turned around.

"As punishment," Optimus said, "you are banned from watching all music video shows, buying tapes, or CD's or listening to any type of music for two months."

"What?!!!" Horrified, Blaster could scarcely believe his audio sensors.

"You heard me. To give you time to think about the lesson you have learned - and you can't blame Soundwave for this."

"I know," Blaster grumbled. "Okay no music for two weeks. I'll manage somehow."

"Months, Blaster."

The other grunted. "Like one month ... please..."

Optimus stood his ground. Blaster scowled, but knew he only had himself to blame.

"I shall be keeping an eye on you."

"No doubt."

"Don't get mad with me. I could easily make it five months - or longer. It's not me that almost killed a helpless-"

"All right!" Blaster almost yelled. "...I'm sorry ..."

Optimus nodded and released him.

Blaster laid down in his quarters, wondering how he'd make it.

"Two months ... no music ... I'll go in f@#$%&* sane!" Although he sensed that being devoid of music wasn't the punishment. He did feel ashamed of what he had done and wondered if he should - and how in the Universe he could make it up to Soundwave. Somehow he didn't feel the Decepticon would accept an apology with open arms.

Blaster sat in his quarters about to turn some inspirational music on to improve his low mood, then he swore loudly. "I can't do this, now can I?" He grunted ... and then had an idea. He contacted he and Tracks' human friend Raoul.

"Hiya Blaster, howya doin,' m' metal man?"

"Cool, and you?"

"Eh, okay. Me, Rocksteady and Pop Lock got us some jobs as DJ's."

"That's great! ..."

"Hi Blaster..." A small, spiky longish black haired girl came into the picture. "Raoul's told me so much about you 'n' Tracks."

Raoul kissed her cheek. "Hey, Blaster, this is Stormy. We met about three months ago."

Blaster smiled. "Great." Raoul had always wanted to 'meet the right girl.' "Listen I was wonderin' if you dudes could do a big favor for me?" Blaster asked.

"Sure."

"Like for the next 2 months could you tape like MTV and all the ..."

"Blaster..." came Optimus' warning voice.

Blaster gasped. Optimus really was watching him. He continued to speak to Raoul. "Nothing ... forget it. Just like ... ahh I'm in the shithouse, Raoul."

"I know. Tracks told me."

"He what?!"

"Like chill, dude. I'd tape them for you, but your 'mother' might get mad."

Blaster managed a smile.

In his quarters, Optimus chuckled to himself.

"Teenagers...."

In a way Blaster wished he could be in Raoul's shoes, but he knew he had to face up to his problems and think hard about his actions and promise himself he'd never again defile the Autobot Code, which deep inside, he held dear.

            * * *

Soundwave sighed as he stretched in his energon bath, his pain gone. He transformed into tape deck mode and back again without a hitch or any pain. Although he'd rather stay in robot mode for a while now ...

He emerged from the bath painless and fresh, the pink marbly energon streaking off him and drying instantly.

Laserbeak and Ravage reported back and Soundwave listened to Blaster's punishment, which he found quite amusing, and glad that Blaster finally had something to think about other than the number one song on the Top 40. Soundwave also seemed glad his enemy wasn't as shallow as he'd previously thought. He'd never quite thought of Blaster as an adolescent before, but it made sense. Perhaps as he grew older, he'd grow wiser. And now Soundwave wanted help his human friend in gratitude.

            * * *

Joxette was astounded to find all her bills and credit cards paid off - and even more so to find that almost everything on her 'want list' delivered to her door. She smiled, knowing Soundwave must've accessed her computer sometime when he was linked up to the power source. A tear rolled down her cheek. No one had ever been this kind to her before. She discovered that her bank balance had been increased by five million, and Soundwave had been sure to do all this in such a way that suspicion would not be aroused. Joxette could pay her mother the $6000 she owed ... buy her own apartment - go on the holidays she'd been wishing for ... And continue with her writing ... But how could she thank Soundwave?

"Yes!" She exclaimed suddenly, excitedly taking the last of her items inside.

She rushed to her orca whale shaped telephone and dialled a number.

            * * *

Blaster sighed in his quarters. No music for two whole months... but he was determined to get through it. He accessed the on-line newspaper and read the music section. The Daily Telegraph had informative, great stuff and reviews written by Dino a lively, cool, hip young music journalist.

Blaster flicked through the paper and found something else of interest. He typed a message, then shut his eyes an pressed 'Send.'

            * * *

Sitting in his quarters, Soundwave received a message from Autobot Headquarters. Immediately, he accessed it wondering what it was.

'Access Today's Australian Daily Telegraph' it read. 'Turn to Greetings & Messages, page 72. You'll find it interesting. PS - I dunno how to say this and you probably won't care, but I'm sorry okay?'

Surprised, Soundwave read the message again. It was a short apology, but he knew how hard it would have been for Blaster.

Soundwave accessed the World Newsnet and specified the newspaper and page and saw what Blaster's message had referred to. He read the second message of the three that were printed.

----------------------------------

DEAR SOUNDIE

More than five million thanks, but

more, for the feelings we shared.

Love Monty xx.

----------------------------------

Soundwave smiled, touched and also impressed with Joxette's idea to get a message to him, without arousing suspicion. She was very dear to him. He did not have many friends and was glad to have found another.

Soundwave also realised he had to be thankful to Blaster - without the Autobot, he may never have received Joxette's message - or ever met her in the first place at all and he replied to Blaster's message.

            * * *

Blaster sat in his quarters and accessed the incoming message.

'Apology accepted. And thank you.'

At first surprised, then he smiled, feeling grateful the tension was now behind him.

            * * *

Soundwave asked Rumble to relay a reply message to the Australian Daily Telegraph, as his own voice was far too recognisable. He credited their account with the correct funding, plus a delivery fee to deliver a copy of the paper to Joxette's door.

            * * *

Still overwhelmed by what Soundwave had done for her, Joxette left her apartment, soon to look for a new one - to buy. She left to venture to her mailbox when she saw a newspaper wrapped in cling plastic. At first she thought they'd delivered it to the wrong apartment, but then saw her name on it and was even more surprised when 'please turn to page 77' was written on it and so she did and laughed with joy when she read the message.

----------------------------------

DEAR MONTY

It was my pleasure.

Love Soundie :)

----------------------------------

Joxette wiped a tear of joy from her cheek. She dearly loved Soundwave, though not in a sexual way. She sincerely hoped their paths crossed again and something told her they would. He had become the most unique and dearest friend she'd ever had, even if he was a robot - so what? Friendship wasn't about what was on the outside - strip all that away and it's what's on the inside that mattered.

            * * *

 

Soundwave lay on his resting ledge in his quarters, appreciating the softness on the cyber mesh and hoping the next time he'd see his new human friend wouldn't be too long a time coming.

*

  Back to Decepticon Page

 

Back to Transformers Page