Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic.

Summary: Perceptor saves the day

Author's Note: Wrote this story bored during one maths class... ;)

Rating – PG

 

~~~~~~~~~

MATHS IN SPACE

 

 

"They're gaining on us, Ultra Magnus ... " said Springer worriedly.

"I know. There's only one alternative. Perceptor, prepare for warp speed."

"Warp speed, but ..."

"Hurry, Perceptor. The Ark has no laser power left. We can't defend ourselves against a Decepticon attack."

"But, Magnus, warp speed will be risky on our low power. We might not survive. We ..."

"We might not survive warp speed, but we will not survive a full scale Decepticon assault."

"All right, Ultra Magnus, but--"

The larger Autobot could hardly control his temper. "Perceptor, just do it."

Against his better judgment, Perceptor engaged the warp speed drive. The Ark soared across the galaxy, just before it was almost destroyed by a salvo of Decepticon smart missiles.

"Phew ..." gasped Springer. "That was close."

Ultra Magnus glared at Perceptor.

"I was only raising a logical point, Magnus. We-"

"All right, Perceptor, All right ... We have to get to Cybertron. How far away are we?"

Perceptor calculated the distance. "We are approximately one point zero three six eight times ten to the power of sixteen kilometres away from Cybertron."

"That's all very well, Perceptor," said Ultra Magnus, but what does it mean?"

"It means, Ultra Magnus, that we are more than a million, million kilometres away from Cybertron."

"How long will it take us to get there?"

"Well, traveling at our current speed, warp two, and judging by the gamma rays in this sector of space, we ..."

Ultra Magnus put his face in his hands.

"Why did I ask? Why ...? Why???"

"It should take us approximately four days."

"Thank you" said Ultra Magnus sourly.

Perceptor gave a slight smile. He hadn't meant to anger his friend.

The Ark all of a sudden, gave a jolt and lurched forward, throwing all three Autobots from their seats. Ultra Magnus was the first to free himself from the fallen machinery. He made a dash for the control panel.

"It was probably just a meteor or asteroid of some kind," he said, looking at the blank monitor.

"Would you like me to analyze it, Ultra Magnus?"

"No, Perceptor ..."

They carried on their flight path to Cybertron.

"Look over there!" Springer suddenly exclaimed, a few moments later.

Ultra Magnus and Perceptor both spun around and looked out of the viewscreen. A large, blinding white sphere was heading straight toward them. It delivered the same vigorous jolt, as earlier.

"That must've been what rammed us earlier" said Perceptor.

"No kidding, Sherlocktron," said Ultra Magnus, sarcastic. "I figured that one out."

"This is no time for humour, Magnus!" snapped Perceptor. "This could be dangerous."

The sphere struck the Ark once more, throwing the crew in all different directions. The ship was losing power.

"We have to get to Cybertron ..." said Ultra Magnus desperately, frantically trying to reach the controls.

The Ark stabilised. Ultra Magnus was about to engage into warp speed.

"No ... wait, Magnus," said Perceptor. "We do not have enough power or fuel for warp speed. If we engage into warp, we will certainly be destroyed."

"You got any better ideas?" asked Springer, trying to stand his ground.

"What is that thing out there?" asked Ultra Magnus.

"A sabre flare" replied Perceptor.

The sabre flare began to make contact [3.2 astroseconds later, according to Perceptor.]

"Wait ... I'm receiving a transmission."

Perceptor patched th the Universal Translator.

"It is sending me physics problems."

"Why?" asked Ultra Magnus.

"Their logic is beyond me," said Perceptor, "but it says if we don't answer all the problems correctly, we will be destroyed..."

Ultra Magnus took a step backwards.

"You're the mathematician, Perceptor ..."

Perceptor transmitted the answers back to the sabre flare.

"Isn't there any other way we can fight this thing?" asked Springer, irritated.

"Negative" replied Perceptor. " The only way to defeat them is to outwit them - Mathematically."

"Great ... " said Ultra Magnus. "Well, Perceptor, you're the Albert Einstientron. Get to it."

The sabre flare was impressed by Perceptor's correct answers. Perceptor transmitted some sixth dimensional geometry problems to the sabre flare. It transmitted back correct answers.

"Impressive ..." said Perceptor.

The sabre flare transmitted some astrophysics problems to Perceptor. Perceptor thought about them for a few seconds.

"Careful, Perceptor ..." warned Ultra Magnus.

"It's all right, Magnus. The problems it is transmitting are basic compared to Cybertronian mathematics."

Perceptor transmitted all the correct answers. The sabre flare was impressed. It then began to transmit intergalactic mathematical problems for Perceptor to solve. Perceptor answered them all correctly.

"Let's see you try this ..." he said, smiling.

Perceptor then transmitted some Cybertronian mathematical problems to the flare. It did not understand any of them. It confessed in its next transmission that it had been outwitted and was ready for destruction.

"I am not going to destroy you" transmitted Perceptor. "We Autobots are peaceful beings have respect for all life. Everything has a right to exist. You are free to go, but just remember - maths isn't everything."

The sabre flare transmitted a relived and grateful thank you, then carried on its path. The Autobots watched it sail off into the blackness of space.

"I'm sure glad you came along, Perceptor. "Listen ... I didn't mean to get angry at you before. It's just that ... "

Perceptor smiled. "It's all right, Magnus. You make me angry too sometimes."

Ultra smiled and gave Perceptor a gentle, friendly punch.

"Hey," smiled Springer, "this gives a whole new meaning to Maths in Space ..."

They all laughed, as the Ark continued on its course back to Cybertron.

 

 

*

 

Back to Autobot Page

 

Back to Transformers Page