Disclaimers: Saint George (Lucasfilm) crated the Star Wars Universe.  Lucasfilm owned by Disney. George Lucas created the Star Wars Universe. Movies by 20th Century Fox/Disney. I make no Republic Datari {Credits}, Peggats, Truguts, Wupiupi, etc from my fanfic/fanart/fanfunnies.  Story written purely for enjoyment and the only profit I make is the happiness my writing brings.   The Force is With You Always :)

 

Summary: Darth Maul and Qui-Gon Jinn are trapped on a world and have to work together to restore balance before they can leave.

Author's Notes: An AU set during Episode I.  Please note - I have used the older spelling of the word "Magic"

 

Rating PG

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

MAGICK HAPPENS

 

Premise: Qui-Gon didn't make it aboard the Nubian when it took off from Tatooine, however Anakin did. Qui-Gon managed to render Darth maul unconscious and escape, in a small shuttle he purchased from a merchant who was willing to deal with republic credits, however, the Sith wasn't long to follow.

Qui-Gon’s craft was captured by Maul in his Infiltrator, and used his tractor bean to pull

The Jedi’s shuttle aboard. The duel continued as Maul's ship approached a small planet.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

~Zabine, are you sure about this?~

"It's the only way, Merli."

~What if the strangers get hurt? We'll be responsible.~

"Their energy is different from ours. Our enemies will be unsure and leave them be. It is us they are after. I wish I did not have to do this, but what choice have I?"

~What if they take their vengeance out on the two strangers?~

Zabine smiled. "I have a feeling about these two."

~A feeling. Uh oh.~

Zabine stroked Merli's black fur.

"Don't worry. They'll be fine."

The Sorceress centred herself and gathered her energies before raising her arms to the skies.

"By the powers vested in me by the Light of Luna ..."

* * *

As the Sith and Jedi duelled, Maul seemed assured of victory. Qui-Gon did not let that deter him.

A blinding flash followed and Maul lost grip on his lightsabre.

Blackness followed and neither Sith nor Jedi could see a thing.

~Strangers...~ The voice seemed to come from nowhere. ~I regret this, but I have no other choice ... I need your bodies. You will not be harmed.~

Qui-Gon remained calm, though concerned. Maul was furious.

~You will be transported to my home world, Lunaria. Again, I am sorry for this, but it is necessary.~

Qui-Gon sensed the graveness of her words and sympathised, he had his own urgent concerns ... Anakin, Obi-Wan, the Sith ...

Maul sensed, but did not care at all. All he cared about was killing the Jedi.

//Typical...// Qui-Gon thought. He wanted to help this mysterious woman, despite the urgency of his mission.

Beneath Maul's rage, Qui-Gon sensed his fear.

//Do not fear. They do not intend to harm us.//

Again Maul's anger flared, that his thoughts could be so transparent. //I intend to harm them...// He shot back at the Jedi.

Qui-Gon had expected that response, but also sensed his adversary had clamed a little.

The two materialised in a warm stone abode with books and trinkets of old.

"Sorcery," Maul said.

"Apparently," Qui-Gon agreed.

The Sith noticed he did not have his lightsabre, where as Qui-Gon did and he kept his distance.

"Why are we here?" he snapped.

"I’ve a feeling our questions will soon be answered," Qui-Gon said.

Hours passed, still neither the Jedi or the Sith had the slightest inkling of exactly why they had been brought here, though Qui-Gon surmised it was important to the people of this world.

Maul decided to bide his time, despite his desire to kill the Jedi. Qui-Gon gave him a wary glance, he certainly wouldn’t underestimate his foe, despite the current cease-fire, so to speak.

A feminine voice sounded , seemingly from thin air.

~You have been brought here as you have unique powers.~

Qui-Gon sensed that beneath maul's rage he seemed somewhat impressed by this woman's powers.

~My world is in great danger,~ she continued.

Qui-Gon listened, as did maul, somewhat intrigued.

~I am Zabine, Sorceress of Earth. Maral, Sorceress of Fire, Luminal, Sorceress of the Oceans, and Norsana Sorceress of the Sky, my sisters have all been imprisoned in the Netherworld.~

Maul glowered, wanting to leave at the first opportunity.

//This planet's woes are no concern of ours.//

//Shut up and listen.//

Maul wasn't quite expecting that from Qui-Gon, this Jedi Master was no ordinary one.

~You are our last hope,~ Zabine continued. ~You will be safe after the transformation. My and Merli's power will protect us for now, but you must find this darkness and help us pacify it. Only then can my world be truly free.~

Maul was sure she was going to say 'find this darkness and destroy it,' and he found her resolve rather intriguing. Qui-Gon wondered if the Sith and the Jedi could ever learn to live in peace.

~Good journey, Strangers. You have our blessings.~

Maul grunted. Qui-Gon silenced him with a gesture.

"They've got enough to worry about without knowing we're mortal enemies."

"So what do you suggest, Master Jedi?" Maul glared at him, his sarcasm not lost in the slightest.

Qui-Gon ignored it. "We wait."

"You sound like *my* master."

"That's a comfort."

And they waited ... and waited.

"So if we sense this darkness and destroy or pacify it, we're free to go?" Maul ventured.

"That seems to be the arrangement," Qui-Gon said.

"I don't recall making any arrangements," Maul hissed.

The Jedi Master ignored him, closed his eyes, and concentrated, but sensed nothing, apart from Darth Maul's simmering rage. He sighed softly and walked into another other room.

"Where are you going?" Maul asked.

"To have a bath."

"A bath."

"Yes, I need to concentrate."

"You concentrate in the bath?"

"Not that it's any business of yours, but yes. A bath helps me to concentrate, and besides that I need one."

"You smell fine."

"Why Maul, I believe that's the nicest thing you've ever said."

The Sith gave a humourless smile.

As Qui-Gon stretched inside the warm water, he contemplated the situation, his mission, although urgent had been put on hold. He sighed ....Anakin, Obi Wan ... But there was nothing he could do about hat now and chose not to dwell upon it. He closed his eyes for a few moments and began to wash himself.

Maul, growing increasingly impatient ... Qui-Gon had been in there for ages.

Finally Maul flung open the door. "Have you not finished-" And he stared.

"What? Have you never a naked Jedi Master before?"

Qui-Gon began to wash his hair, then stopped. Since when as his hair green ... and wavy... and very long ... And since when did he have breasts?

"Ahh, I see ... the transformation ..." Strangely his voice remained somewhat the same, albeit a little more feminine. He turned to Maul. "Out."

The Sith grinned. Qui-Gon glared at him.

When Qui-Gon had finished his bath, he searched the cupboards and donned a white and forest green mesh dress that went with his long verdant hair, a little revealing, but more conservative than much of the attire in here.

The Jedi Master emerged in the kitchen, and to his surprise, saw a sleek, jet black cat.

"Hello," he said gently, "where’d you come from?"

As soon as he reached out to stroke the feline, the cat scratched his hand, hissed and growled.

"Oh, it's you." Qui-Gon rubbed his hand. "This explains the transformation. Zabine and Merli have inhabited our bodies while we inhabit theirs."

//So what do you suggest we do, Jedi?"

Qui-Gon smiled. "You make a really cute cat."

Maul hissed.

"I suggest we endeavour to find the entities Zabine spoke of."

//I want no part of this charade.//

"Suit yourself, but the sooner we find and pacify the entities, the sooner we will be free to go."

The cat grunted.

Qui-Gon cleared his mind and began to sense a dark presence, besides Darth Maul.

"They keep themselves well hidden." Qui-Gon said.

Maul picked up on it too. //This dark force intrigues me//

Qui-Gon said nothing, but felt it was rather typical.

//They plan on destroying this world and I'm willing to wager they will not stop short on our behalf.//

"Don't get any ideas, Maul. They’re hell bent on getting revenge on the people of the world.//

The feline Sith grunted, again realising the Jedi was right. //So *Master* where do you suggest we start?///

His sarcasm wasn’t lost on Qui-Gon, the Jedi Master chose to ignore it.

//Have you sensed anything more?//

"Nothing for now," Qui-Gon said. "I don't want to alert them."

Maul too sensed darkness and despite having a dark soul himself the intensity of these creatures made him shudder, though he mentioned nothing to the Jedi.

Having meditated for a while, thankful Maul had ventured elsewhere in the old house,

Qui-Gon realised he was hungry and sought out some food. Upon opening the cool unit, one of the few modern appliances in this abode, though it resembled an old wooden box, he saw fresh salads and took out a bowl. Qui-Gon looked down and saw a black cat peering at him expectantly. Qui-Gon smiled and took out a plate of fresh salmon.

//I’m not eating off the floor// Maul hissed.

"Eat it up here then," Qui-Gon placed the fish on the bench, getting tired of Maul’s complaining.

The cat jumped up and began to eat as Qui-Gon began on his salad.

//You don’t know what you’re missing, Jedi// Maul said after a swallow.

"Believe me, I do."

//Then why-//

"I’m vegan, though on a mission to prevent war between worlds, I was served boiled Alderaanian freshwater salmon. I couldn’t refuse, the hosts were highly sensitive."

//Don’t tell me you felt guilty eating a fish.//

"All life is sacred, Maul. Someday you may learn that."

//It’s delicious.//

"Don’t tempt me."

//Give in to the dark side. You know you want some."

"Nice try."

//You mean to say you’ve never eaten salmon since that mission?//

"As delicious as it is, I can’t condone killing another life form for my pleasure."

//I see you had no qualms in killing that lettuce.//

Qui-Gon wasn’t going to take Maul’s bait. "Vegetation may be living, though it is not sentient, though they do have their own energies and when eaten that energy is converted."

//All right ... I didn’t ask for a biology lesson.//

"And you’re going to have to try harder than that if you want me to lose my patience."

Maul grunted.

Qui-Gon caught a wave of darkness. "They’re aware of our presence, though they’re confused and fearful."

Maul snorted and tuned into his senses. //I too sense them. Well the sooner we destroy them the sooner we’ll...//

"Nobody said anything about destroying them."

//Oh of course. I bet you’re the sort who puts bugs outside.//

"They prefer it outside, though there’s a certain caterpillar who loves my indoor plants ..."

Maul grunted again

Qui-Gon sensed the beings again, this time they were faint.

//Don’t you ever sleep?// Maul asked.

"I’m getting there," the Jedi Master said. "Thanks for your concern."

His sarcasm was not lost on the Sith.

Maul waited until Qui-Gon had retired, before leaping onto the sofa and finding a comfortable spot. He hated being a cat, but the leaping was enjoyable.

The Jedi Master allowed himself to fall asleep. Again he sensed the faint presence of the dark forces.

Qui-Gon awoke and fixed himself a salad. He saw Maul curled up asleep on the sofa and made a mental note *not* to tell him how cite he looked ...

The two hardly spoke the next day. Maul went outside, much to his chagrin, to ‘do his business’...

"It’s a bodily function of most biological life forms," Qui-Gon said upon his returned, sensing Maul’s embarrassment.

//Shitting behind a tree.//

"Most animals in the wild don’t even bother with a tree."

Maul grunted. //So have you found anything useful out about our adversaries?//

Qui noted the emphasis Maul put on the word ‘useful’.

"They’re still wondering what to do about us, they’re being cautious. Their lair, so to speak is deep within this planet’s core. I can sense them without their knowledge."

Maul seemed somewhat impressed, but said nothing.

The small cat watched Qui-Gon eat a nectarine as he grudgingly ate his fish off a plate, trout this time. He despised having to eat in this manner. Qui-Gon entered the bathroom and began to run a bath.

//When do I get a bath?//

"You’re supposed to do that yourself."

//I am *not* licking myself!"// Maul hissed.

"Come here then."

Maul leapt off the bench and peered into the bathroom. Qui-Gon picked him up and placed him into the bath water.

//Get me out!!" the cat hissed, feeling mist uncomfortable.

"It’s either this or licking, I’m afraid."

As uncomfortable as he felt, Maul began to use his paws to wash himself.

"Need some help?"

The Sith growled.

"I take that as a no."

The cat began to shiver. Despite himself, and the feline trying to scratch and bite him,

Qui-Gon began to dry him with a towel.

"That better?"

Maul said nothing, his fur out of sorts, as he retreated to the sofa.

Qui-Gon returned to the bathroom, filled up the bath and began to relax. When it was time for him to emerge, he dried and left to find some clothing.

//Do you mind?!// Maul snapped, coming into the room.

Qui-Gon turned. "We’re both m-"

//*No* we’re not.// Maul hissed.

"I thought you would be more mature than this."

//I cannot help it if you’ve morphed into an ... incredibly beautiful woman ...// Maul could not believe he thought that aloud.

"Well thank you. You make an incredibly cute cat."

Maul hissed and leapt up. Qui-Gon caught him in mid air, his reflexes surprising the Sith somewhat. For a moment he became afraid. Even though Qui-Gon’s Jedi body was stronger than this one, it occurred to Maul that Qui-Gon could easily break his neck. The Jedi gently tossed him onto the bed and without a word, put on a long white dress.

"While I was bathing I sensed the beings again," Qui-Gon said. "Their darkness, but also their curiosity and sadness."

Maul grunted. //If only they would attack, we would have something to fight.//

"Typical."

Qui-Gon opened the door and let him out.

The Jedi Master entered Zabine’s study, inpressed with its beauty, books of old, figurines of magicians and fantastical creatures, Using the force, he allowed it to guide him to the book he needed. A purple velvet bound book with ancient green writing found its way into his hands. He had always been fascinated by light magic. He softly touched the parchment of the book and it glowed to his touch as he began to read the words in silence.

Maul prowled the darkness, stalking a small, furry creature. A quick pounce, he was upon it and began to devour it. Being a cat wasn’t all that bad. After his meal, he began to concentrate on the energies of the strange beings, again annoyed at the Jedi’s compassion, but was Qui-Gon’s compassion genuine, or was it a show? Maul became convinced it was the latter and snarled. No sooner, his head snapped up in an instant as he sniffed the air, a most unpleasant scent. A low and menacing growl emitted from the bushes. A rustle of leaves and a hideous humpbacked creature on all fours crashed out of the bushes, four incisors and a nasty looking mouth, many times larger than the cat. Maul cursed violently. In his humanoid form he’d dispatch this creature in an instant, but like this the only thing he could do was take off like a shot, and was surprised at how fast this body took him. The creature lumbered after him, quite fast for its size and bulk. Maul sensed it gaining. No trees stood that were high or strong enough. The Sith cat cursed again, knowing the only shelter was the Sorceress’ abode with Qui-Gon. It didn’t bare thought, but it was better than being inside that filthy creature’s stomach. For a time he lost the foul scent of the beast.

Finally he caught sight of the house in the distance, a welcoming crystal light on.

Maul reached the house and against all his grain, he miaowed.

Qui-Gon heard the miaow. Sensing urgency, he hurried to open the door. The creature burst out of nowhere, roaring, jaw dripping with saliva, it caught the cat’s leg in its mouth. In a panic, Maul tried to jerk free. He lashed out with his claws. He had not known fear this deep, except once when his Master almost killed him, but Maul was certain Darth Sidious would not have eaten him. The door flung open. Qui-Gon reached out with an urgent burst of the Force. The cat flew from the creatures jaws to Qui-Gon’s hand. The creature roared menacingly. The Jedi Master stood, unfazed. He directed a Force blast at the creature, sending it away. Maul had barely sensed what had happened through his fear, pain and blood loss. Qui-Gon held his gently. Maul became afraid again. The Jedi hardly needed him to complete the mission here and Maul began to wonder again if the Jedi’s compassion was an act. Qui-Gon took him inside and gently rested him on the bench. Maul’s body ached. There wasn’t a doubt in his mind now that the Jedi meant to hurt him further. That could be the only reason Qui-Gon had rescued him. Why else would he rescue someone who had been sent to kill him and his Padawan? He growled and tried to bite the Jedi Master, but he was too weak. Qui-Gon sensed that felt somewhat hurt, although how could Maul possibly understand the true meaning of compassion? Extra gently he placed his hands over Maul and called on the Living Force. The Sith felt the pain dull and his body grow warm and as much as he hated to admit it, it felt rather nice. Qui-Gon stopped when he sensed Maul was out of danger. He placed a soft mesh over the cat’s wound and dried the blood with the towel.

"Feel better?"

Maul realised full well Qui-Gon could have let him die or increased his pain and the Jedi Master did neither. He sensed only concern from Qui-Gon.

"You’re welcome," the Jedi Master said.

//Have you found out anything new about our enemies?// Maul asked, weakly.

"I sensed that creature was from the dark nether regions. They sent it to-"

//Kill me.//

Qui-Gon nodded. "The people of this world fear the entities. They were hunted and persecute as they were considered evil."

//And now they want revenge. I know the feeling.//

Qui-Gon shot a glare at the cat. "May I remind you the Sith wiped out the Jedi first? Let’s not go there."

Maul sensed the Jedi Master’s sadness as he continued. "However, there is a way for them to live in peace."

Maul sensed a longing from Qui-Gon. Could it be that he dreamed of peace between the Jedi and the Sith. An interesting concept maul thought, but he couldn’t se it happening, not in the near future.

Qui-Gon boiled some fish. "After you’ve eaten, you need some rest."

//I can’t rest. The sooner we’ve completed what we have to do here, the better.//

"You’ve lost quite a lot of blood," Qui-Gon said. "You’re tired. You have to regain your strength."

//I am. I’m eating aren’t I?//

"It’s not enough. Qui-Gon gave him some more fish. "Your body needs rest."

//I know// Maul snapped as he swallowed some fish. He hadn’t realised how hungry he was. Qui-Gon poured some milk onto the saucer "You need to drink something too."

//I hate milk.//

Qui-Gon gave him a look. Reluctantly, Maul began to lap up the milk, surprised at how pleasant and creamy it tasted. Qui-Goin left some more food out should Maul need to eat again that night.

//They’re watching us// Maul said. //I sense their fear and anger, but also their curiosity.//

Qui-Gon nodded. "I sense that too."

//And Jedi I sense something else.//

Qui-Gon looked at him.

//If you say ‘what’s up pussycat’ I’ll scratch your eyes out. I don’t care how sore my paws are.//

Qui-Gon chuckled. //Sour puss.//

Maul grunted. //The creatures need malachite and nephrite to survive. They have mineral and spiritual properties needed to sustain their lives.//

"I was reading about that," Qui-Gon said, indicating the book on the sofa. Maul seemed intrigued as Qui-Gon retrieved the book.

"Can you read in this form?"

//Yes.// Maul looked at the pages, impressed with the ancient book and the use of plant life and rocks to create the colours.

"The dissension between the planets inhabitants and these creatures is destabilising the planet’s core," Qui-Gon said. "I’m going to endeavour to communicate with them."

//They don’t seem too friendly.//

"I’ve been deal my share of unfriendly life forms in my time."

Maul pretended not to notice Qui-Gon looking at him.

"But for now, you need to rest." Qui-Gon picked him up.

Maul growled.

"Quiet," the Jedi said. Maul noticed his tone was not harsh.

He placed the cat on the sofa and. Maul didn’t take long to fall asleep, not wanting to admit how much he needed rest.

Qui-Gon sat on the sofa next to the sleeping cat, continuing to read the ancient book, about how the energy beings once upon a time lived in harmony with the inhabitants of this world.

Quite by accident, Qui-Gon began to stroke the black cat’s soft fur, gently scratching his neck, and in his sleep the cat began to purr. He sensed something amiss, but was too tired at first to find out what it was. A moment later Qui-Gon realised what he was doing and Maul awoke. He was too tired to bite Qui-Gon’s hand.

"I know nothing," the Jedi said.

//Good. It didn’t happen.//

Soon after, Qui-Gon allowed himself to rest too, welcoming the peace.

The Jedi Mater awoke shortly before Maul and ate some sweet fruit and got some fish for him.

//I’m not an invalid,// Maul snapped, looking up at Qui-Gon.

"You’re not well either. You body’s still recovering. As mush as you hate to admit it, you’re not infallible and neither am I."

Maul seemed somewhat impressed at he Jedi Master’s statement.

"After you’ve eaten your fish, go outside and eat some grass."

//Have you lost it?"//

"You’ve nothing to fear. That creature is long gone."

//That’s not what I meant. Eat grass. What on Coruscant for?//

"It’s a natural antidote, a medicine, if you will, for cats."

Maul hated to admit it, but this Jedi’s knowledge and wisdom impressed him and he went outside to eat grass, though not without caution. He was surprised at how pleasant in tasted, and despite feeling rather awkward, he ate some more and returned indoors when he felt he had eaten enough.

"Mind your tail," Qui-Gon said.

Maul saw his fluffy tail was half outside the door and flicked it away as Qui-Gon closed the door. He realised if it were his Master, Sidious would have slammed the door on his tail to teach him a lesson. The Jedi Master had taught him the same lesson without the pain.

"I believe we can communicate with the beings if we cooperage."

Maul gave a small snort. //Agreed.//

Qui-Gon exited the house and sat down on the grass, centring and calming himself and concentrating on the Force. Maul admired the Jedi Master’s resolve as he tuned into the Dark Side, both sides of the Force working together.

Slowly, Qui-Gon felt the presence of the beings. They tried to hide, but he gripped them with the Force. They tried to struggle, but Qui-Gon held them firm. He assured them he didn’t want to hurt them and hoped they could come to an understanding. They sensed Maul’s darkness and were intrigued by it, but more so the balance of light and darkness from the two beings and their mysterious power. Qui-Gon sensed the inside the of the planet, the intricate malachite and nephrite core, sensing its tranquillity, its beauty. Maul sensed what Qui-Gon was sensing and hated to admit it, but it was beautiful. Part of him began to admire the Jedi Master, the sensations he was feeling quite alien to him as he watched in silence.

Qui-Gon spoke to the entities with the Force, telling them that the imbalance was destroying the world. The beings sent the three trapped Elemental Sorceresses back to their respective realms. Qui-Gon sensed the beings gratitude and sorrow.

~I sense your anger,~ he said, ~But you must learn to forgive and live in peace.~

The Jedi Master bathed them in the Force, physically and spiritually, preparing them for the journey that lay ahead of them.

~Thank you, strangers. You have saved all of us.~

The beings left to make amends with the people of this world.

Slowly, Qui-Gon opened his eyes and turned to Maul.

"Our work here is done. We must go to he town square."

//What for?//

"You don't want to stay a cat forever do you?"

Maul didn’t answer. Qui-Gon picked him up.

//I can walk. I feel much better now.//

Qui-Gon smiled as he gently placed the cat on the grass. He retrieved his lightsabre form the house and closed the wooden door.

* * *

"I’m going to look for him," Obi-Wan said. "He should have returned by now."

"He might have been killed," Mace Windu observed.

"No, I can sense him," the young Jedi persisted. "I’m taking a shuttle and I’m going."

"I wonder where you get that defiance from?"

Obi-Wan almost smiled. "My Master would do the same in my position."

"Can I come?"

Obi-Wan knelt down to the little boy. "Anakin, it might be dangerous and Qui-Gon’ll kill me if anything happened to you. I must find him."

"If he’s alive."

Obi-Wan refused to take the bait. He knew Windu was testing him. "He is and I’ll find him."

* * *

Qui-Gon and Maul made their way to the town and were approached by two grinning men, holding framing implements.

"What have we here? Let’s have some fun before we kill you ..."

Before one of them could grab Qui-Gon, he ignited his lightsabre and sliced their weapons to pieces.

"Ohh gods, you’re a witch!"

"Yes," Qui-Gon said. "You will go from here and never harm another person again ..."

"Yes, ma’am ...."

The two men left in a hurry.

//You should have killed them. They would have spared us no mercy.//

"That’s not my way, Maul."

//How does it make you feel to save people like that?//

"We can’t judge an entire race upon the actions of two people."

//You Jedi are strange.//

"I could say the same about you."

* * *

Obi-Wan came up on Maul’s Sith Infiltrator and an old looking shuttle, but sensed no one aboard either craft. He tuned in and sensed his Master’s energy on the planet below. The young Padawan cloaked and landed his shuttle without engines, so as not to alert the people of this world.

* * *

The town was as Qui-Gon expected it, this planet had achieved medieval technology, travelling in horse drawn carriages. Qui-Gon sensed a change in the energies, and uncertainty, but then that was to be expected.

The Jedi Master sensed something from one of the enclosures, a hut covered in veils. He and Maul ventured in. Maul’s anger began to surface.

"Someone’s coming," Qui-Gon said. "Come here."

//Why?//

"You’re supposed to be my cat."

Maul hopped onto the table and much to his protest, Qui-on placed him upon his lap.

"The things we do."

The Sith grunted.

Qui-Gon smiled when he sensed his Padawan enter the enclosure and part the veils. Maul snarled.. "Quiet, cat!" Qui-Gon clipped him across the ear, though not hard, Maul mused.

"Excuse me, Madam," Obi-Wan began.

"Ahh, you’ve come from afar ... to seek someone. I believe."

Maul would have chucked if he could. Qui-Gon kept a straight face as he played with his Padawan.

"Uhh, yes ... " the young Jedi said, surprised this soothsayer was genuine.

"A Jedi Knight no less. It is your Master you seek."

Obi-Wan felt somewhat uncomfortable, though somewhat intrigued by this beautiful green haired woman.

"Fear not," ‘she’ said. "Your Master is safe."

Obi-Wan felt relieved. He could sense this woman wasn’t lying. He sensed another presence, this time from behind. Maul’s fur bristled and his dug his claws in, though a stroke from Qui-Gon assured him all was well.

The Jedi Master looked around as himself and Darth Maul emerged from the back veils.

"Master ..." Obi-Wan gripped his lightsabre when he saw the Sith.

The cat growled.

"It’s all right, Padawan, Qui-Gon said, standing. He placed Maul on the table.

Obi-Wan stared. "Master?"

"It’s a long story."

Obi-Wan calmed, sensing the events of the past weeks.

~Thank you for all you have done,~ Zabine’s voice echoed in Qui-Gon’s mind.

~My pleasure.~

The Sorceress smiled and closed her eyes and centred herself, using her magick to swap the four bodies back again. Qui-Gon caught Zabine as she began to fall.

"Thank you."

Merli jumped onto the table and walked over to Maul and began to rub against his hand, purring loudly.

"By the stars!" Zabine exclaimed. "She usually hates strangers."

Maul started at Zabine. "She?"

Qui-Gon chuckled.

Maul looked at the cat again. "Miss the tail."

~Miss the horns. They were cool.~

Maul chuckled softly. "Usually I eat small furry creatures, but I’ll make an exception for you."

She bit him. ~I won’t.~

Maul found himself actually liking this animal.

"I miss the hair," Qui-Gon said.

Zabine chuckled. "I’m going to miss the whole body."

The Jedi chuckled softly, a tad embarrassed.

"Thank you," Zabine said again.

"You and your people are going to have to do the work," Qui-Gon said. "Peace and serenity won’t be achieved unless your people and the energy beings can live in peace. I read some ancient spells and magickal texts in your library which should help."

"Yes, written by famous wizards of the past. My sisters and I shall do so. You and your friend have saved my world."

Maul grunted at the word ‘friend.’

"Oh, you’re not-"

"No," Qui-Gon said. "It’s a long story."

"I sensed such passion aboard your ship," Zabine said, "I thought you were-"

"*No,*’ Maul said with a cough. "We’re not."

Obi-Wan couldn’t help but chuckle, the thought revolting though it was.

"You interrupted a battle," Maul hissed.

"I apologise, but I had no choice."

"The experience was interesting nonetheless."

The thing that troubled Maul is that he didn’t know if he wanted to resume that battle with Qui-Gon. The Jedi was far different than he had believed and the man had saved his life.

"Merli," she said to her cat. "Make sure these boys behave."

Zabine indicated Darth Maul and Obi-Wan as she lead Qui-Gon away.

~Sure. Be nice. You boys don’t wanna make me mad.~ She arched her back and bristled her fur.

Despite themselves Obi-Wan and Maul smiled.

"I wanted to thank you in private," Zabine said.

She placed her arms around the Jedi Master. "You saved my world without destruction or killing. You care so much for a world you hardly know."

Qui-Gon smiled. "How could I not?"

The Sorceress kissed him, feeling safe in this stranger’s arms.

"Don’t despair, Qui-Gon," she said gently. "You may not be able to save every life form in the Universe, but the love and serenity you bring enlightens them."

"Thank you," he whispered, sincere, holding her in his arms.

Zabine gently kissed his cheek. "I’m sorry if I interrupted-"

"You had to," Qui-Gon said. "Your world would have died otherwise."

"Your friend didn’t seem to impressed."

"He’ll get over it."

Obi-Wan came to his Master.

"What are we going to do about Maul?" he said quietly.

"Let’s hope for a peaceful end to this."

The Jedi Master was ready to fight, but hoped it didn’t come to that.

 

Zabine and Qui-Gon came back into the main room. Maul quickly took his hand away from Merli, play attacking him when the three returned to the room.

"Again I apologize for the disruption." Zabine said. "It was necessary"

Maul grunted, but only softly.

"I can return you to where you left off with no memory of your time here and be as you were or you may leave of your own accord."

Neither of them seemed to want to forget the experience. Maul still was unsure whether he wanted to carry on the fight. He respected Qui-Gon, the Jedi could have easily killed him or let him die in the jaws of that beast and he did neither. Maul was sure he would not have been so patient had the their forms been reversed.

"We can continue to fight if that is your wish," Qui-Gon said.

"Under the circumstances, that would not be appropriate."

"I’m glad you think so."

"You saved my life and you have earned my respect."

"Thank you and you’re not quite so despicable as you seemed."

Maul gave a small smile.

"So what will you tell your Master?"

"Something, I guess."

He began to leave.

~Don’t forget to write,~ Merli said.

"I’ll send you a womp rat," the Sith said with a small smile and left without another word.

Zabine took Qui-Gon’s hand. "I can’t thank you enough." She held him close.

Obi-Wan waited. His Master had a way with people and cats by the look of it.

"I can use my power to send you to your shuttles," she offered.

"No thanks, " Qui-Gon declined. "I’d rather walk. It may be a long while before I am able to return to your beautiful world."

He kissed her gently.

"May the Force Be With You," she said.

"And also with you, you know I’m really gonna miss that hair."

The Earth Sorceress laughed as her new friends left. Forever would she be grateful.

The Jedi Master and Padawan walked along the countryside to where Obi-Wan had parked his cloaked shuttle.

"This is a beautiful world, Master, but I’m afraid we can’t admire the scenery for long."

"I know, let’s just enjoy it while we can."

They walked some more before the younger Jedi spoke again.

"Was it really magick?"

"Yes, Obi-Wan, it was."

"That’s amazing."

"Many say that about the Force. Magick in itself is a type of Force."

Obi-Wan nodded. "What do you suppose will happen with the Sith?"

"They’ll return and I doubt Maul will be as amiable next time."

"You call that amiable?"

Qui-Gon smiled. "You should've seen him when we first arrived."

"I can imagine."

The young Padawan looked into the distance at the setting sun. "You saved this world, Master."

Qui-Gon smiled gently. "I did what I could."

Obi-Wan took his Master’s hand. "That’s what I love about you, Master, you care so much about people you barely know, a world outside the republic ... It seems people are in peril everywhere."

"I know," Qui-Gon said sadly, "but we can only do what we can for a peaceful Universe."

"Do you suppose the Universe will ever attain total peace?"

Qui-Gon smiled gently. ‘Magick happens, Obi-Wan."

 

 

*

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Qui~Gon Page