Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

Summary: The story of Sandstorm, and his eternal love Karii.

Author's Notes:  Formerly titled "Elita One" then "Electra," this fanfic has undergone 4 re-writes and major edits.  First, the main characters were Optimus Prime, Elita One and the antagonist Megatron - however it didn't read or feel right.  The second round had Sandstorm, his lady love Electra, and the antagonist BlackLight, my original Decepticon character.  Electra was the name I gave to the "Paradron Medic" femme.  Please see my fic Breakdown's Secret Affair, recently revised, for Electra. 

Again, with this story, it didn't seem right that Electra would leave Sandstorm as they were very deeply in love.  In the revised version I named his lady love Karii, a very different character from Electra.  This story has a new, revised ending and also a planned sequel, on the antagonist entitled: "BlackLight: The Light Within."

Sorry for any confusion, although I believe I've written a far superior story and sequel to the original, written waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1988.  Gods had it been almost 20 years ...  :o

Karii (pronounced kah-ree) - long a and e

Rating - PG

~~~~~~~

 A LOVE ASUNDER

 

On Cybertron, Sandstorm walked with his soul love, Karii. She looked up at him and smiled.

"You're beautiful" he said.

"Thanks, Sandstorm," she said smiling, loving him a lot.

Sandstorm cared about her and loved her deeply. She was smaller and younger than him. He helped her in any way he could. He also worried about her a lot.

Later that day, Karii wanted to go with Sideswipe on a dangerous mission to spy on the Decepticons.

"No, Karii," Sandstorm said, concerned. "It'll be too dangerous for."

"Oh, but, Sandstorm ..... I'll be okay ... Please?"

Sandstorm was very worried that something might happen to her, but he didn't want her to feel sad or trapped. he didn't own her.

"Okay, you can go," he said, hoping she would return safely.

"Don't worry, Sandstorm," promised Sideswipe. "I'll take good care of her."

Sandstorm smiled. Karii and Sideswipe transformed and sped off to Decepticon headquarters.

Every second Karii was gone, Sandstorm was worried.

Perhaps I shouldn't've let her go he thought. I hope she's okay ....

A few hours later, Karii and Sideswipe returned back safely with the information. Sandstorm was relieved to see them back safely.

"I told you I'd be okay, Sandstorm," she said. "You worry too much."

"Yeah, I know, Karii, but anything could've happened."

Karii gently hugged Sandstorm. She was glad he cared about her so much. She cared about him as much too. Sandstorm was grateful that Karii was home safely. He hoped nothing bad ever happened to her.

The very next day, the Decepticons attacked Autobot headquarters. The were prepared, because their two spies had brought back information on the surprise attack and they countered the attack.

The battle raged on for hours and no side seemed to be winning. Karii hated fighting, but she had to. All of a sudden she slipped and fell down to the bottom of a small metal cliff. She was hurt, but not seriously damaged. No one saw this, except for the Decepticon Blacklight. He flew down to her. Karii was on her knees on the ground. She looked up and gasped. She was frightened and tried to get away from him. Blacklight helped her up off her knees. Karii couldn't believe it, but then she thought that Blacklight might kill her. She tried to scream, but Blacklight gently covered her mouth.

"It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you, Karii .... Don't be frightened ...."

Karii calmed. Blacklight uncovered her mouth.

"But you're ...." started Karii.

"I know I'm a Decepticon .... But really, I don't like fighting or cruelty."

"But you're always cruel to us Autobots," said Karii, puzzled.

"I don't mean to be .... I guess I'm wrong about you Autobots. You're not that bad."

"We're not the bad ones ... and we've been enemies for so long ...."

"I know, but I don't wanna be enemies anymore."

Karii smiled. Blacklight asked her to come back to Decepticon headquarters with him. Karii was still dubious of Blacklight. The Decepticon could see this.

"Do I look or sound like I'm lying?"

"Well .... no .... but Decepticons lie a lot ...."

"I wouldn't lie to you, would I, Karii?"

"I don't know."

"Please believe me ..."

Karii felt sorry for Blacklight now, being young and innocent, she believed him.

"Thank you, Karii. You can come back to Decepticon headquarters with me."

"Okay, but I have to tell Sandstorm where I'm going so he won't get worried."

"No" said Blacklight quickly. "You can't tell him."

"Why not?"

"Uh .... because he'll worry about you."

"He'll worry about me if I don't tell him because he won't know where I am."

"You can't tell him, Karii. He won't be that worried. Trust me ..... He'll be more worried if he knows where you are, because he won't trust me, and you wouldn't want that would you?"

"No, I guess not."

Blacklight smiled and flew her up to the top of the cliff.

"Thanks."

Blacklight smiled at her. She smiled back, hoping Sandstorm wouldn't worry too much. She wanted to leave a note, but knew Sandstorm would worry more if he knew where she was, and concern for Sandstorm came first.

We're gonna have a lot of fun .... thought Blacklight. Yes, Karii, more fun that you can ever imagine ....

He flew Karii to Decepticon headquarters and took Karii to his quarters. Karii smiled, hoping that she was doing the right thing.

Meanwhile, at Autobot headquarters, Sandstorm was looking for Karii.

"Prowl, Ratchet, have you seen Karii anywhere?"

"No Sandstorm, we haven't."

Sandstorm looked worried. "I've been looking for her everywhere."

"Relax, try not to worry," comforted Ratchet. "She'll be okay."

Sandstorm smiled. He knew he over worried about Karii, but he couldn't help thinking she was out there somewhere - in danger. Sandstorm tried rest. It was difficult for him, but finally he managed to. Sandstorm had a horrible vision about Karii being murdered. He gasped, shivering. After realising that it was only a vision, he calmed, but still felt frightened for Karii.

"I hope that never comes true ...." he said to himself.

Karii was missing for days. Each day, Sandstorm became more and more worried about her and more and more nervous.

Karii was enjoying herself at Decepticon headquarters with Blacklight.

"I just can't help thinking about Sandstorm ... What would he be thinking? He might be worried."

"He's all right, Karii, he's okay. He's not worried. I wouldn't worry about it."

Karii gently hugged Blacklight, and the Decepticon hugged her back.

Breakdown, one of the Decepticons, looked at Blacklight and Karii, through a small window in the door. He wondered what Blacklight was going to do to her. Breakdown hoped it wasn't too cruel. He thought Karii was innocent and beautiful. He hoped Blacklight wasn't going to hurt her.

At Autobot headquarters, Sandstorm was getting really worried about Karii. He told the other Autobots.

"I haven't seen her since the battle" he said worriedly.

"I don't know where she is," said Inferno. "But she's probably safe. "

"I hope so," said Sandstorm, very concerned and worried.

All the Autobots helped Sandstorm search the battle site, but they found no sign of Karii. This only worried Sandstorm more.

"Where could she be .... Please Primus ..... wherever Karii is please let her be safe ..."

Meanwhile, at Decepticon headquarters, Blacklight was holding Karii in his arms. He smiled and was very gentle with her.

Breakdown saw Blacklight holding her - with Blacklight you never knew what he was up to, but whatever it was, was for his benefit. Breakdown quickly turned away before Blacklight saw him.

Karii was enjoying herself at Decepticon headquarters, but couldn't help thinking about Sandstorm. Blacklight was careful not to let Karii go out of Decepticon headquarters at all times in case any of the Autobots saw or detected her. He gave her anything she asked for. Not that it was that much. Karii spent days more at Decepticon headquarters.

Sandstorm was getting more and more worried about her.

"Where is she? Why hasn't she returned? Why hasn't she contacted me? ...." He was certain Karii was in danger and desperately wanted to help her, but how? He didn't know where she was or what danger she was in .... Sandstorm tried to calm himself. Sometimes when he worried too much, she seemed to be in no danger at all.

I was really worried when she went with Sideswipe to spy on the Decepticons that day he thought. She was all right - but she's been gone much longer this time ..... I hope she's okay.

 

Karii was having more fun with Blacklight at Decepticon headquarters. She couldn't believe how kind and gentle he was.

One night, Karii was standing next to Blacklight. Blacklight was watching her. Karii had an admirable figure. She smiled at him. Blacklight smiled back at her and put his arm around her back.

Sandstorm think straight. Karii is okay .... He tried to believe it, but he just couldn't. He was getting more and more worried about Karii by the picosecond. He really wanted to find her and her to be safe. Strafe, another Autobot came into Sandstorm's quarters

"Sandstorm," he said, and gently. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, It's Karii I'm worried about. She's been gone for so long. I know I over-worry about her a lot, but this time I can't help feeling that she's in danger."

Sandstorm looked very worried and upset. Strafe gently comforted him. He knew how much Sandstorm cared about and loved Karii.

"Thank you, Strafe."

Karii stayed at Decepticon headquarters for longer.

"Blacklight?" she said.

"Yes, My dear?"

"I'm certain Sandstorm's very worried about me. I think I should call him and ...."

"Don't worry - you're fine. Nothing's happened to you.

He's probably having fun." Let him worry Blacklight thought.

The next day, Sandstorm and some other Autobots went on a search mission for Karii. They returned at night with no luck at all. Sandstorm was even more worried. He thought he'd give her a few more days to return and if she didn't the whole entire Autobot force would go on an extensive search mission to find her.

Karii was in a Blacklight's quarters. She had her back to the door. Blacklight came in.

"Hello, My dear ...."

At first Karii thought he only playing, but the evil tone of his voice made her turn around. She looked at him.

"You were a fool to trust me, Karii ...."

Karii suddenly gasped and realised it was a trick. She also became frightened.

"Do you think I really loved you?"

Karii didn't say anything. How could I have been so stupid enough to trust him? .... She felt like an idiot.

"Do you think I'd ever love any Autobot?"

Karii still said nothing.

"Do you?" asked Blacklight louder.

"Not any more."

She was crying soundlessly. Karii thought about Sandstorm.

"Sandstorm .... He'll be so worried .... He'll ....."

"Let 'im worry - He's probably worried sick by now ....."

A few tears rolled down Karii's cheeks. "How could you do this?"

"Easily, My Dear ... It's very easy for me to trick Autobots. I hate all of 'em. You included."

"But I've never done anything to you."

"No, but Sandstorm has .... I could hurt him a lot more by hurting you."

"Don't ...." said Karii, frightened, for both herself and Sandstorm.

"As I said before, Karii, it's easy for me to trick Autobots - and it's even easier for me to kill them...."

Blacklight took out a large laser knife that he had hidden behind his back. Karii gasped, terrified and tried to escape. He grabbed her arm roughly. She screamed. Karii tried to transform and drive away, but Blacklight held her tightly and was much stronger than her. Karii was terrified.

"No ...." she pleaded.

Blacklight stabbed the knife into her. Karii screamed in pain.

Breakdown looked through the small oblong window in the door. He felt very sorry for Karii. He wanted to help her, but the door was locked and Blacklight would kill him if he tried.

How could Blacklight do that ...? he thought. Fine she's an Autobot, but still...

Blacklight was still holding Karii's arm. She was still alive. Blacklight stabbed the knife into her chest. Karii, terrified and in pain, couldn't stop thinking about Sandstorm. Blacklight poised going to stab her again. Karii was petrified. She shrieked.

All of a sudden, the rectangular window on the door splatted with blood - Karii's blood. Breakdown couldn't see anything. This was the most cruel, gross, horrible, disgusting thing that he'd ever seen in his life. Even though she was an Autobot, Breakdown felt for Karii.

Sandstorm was in his quarters, sitting on a ledge bed with his face in his hands. Sandstorm cried soundlessly. He walked into Karii's quarters. Even if she never returned, he wanted to keep it exactly the way it was. He deeply missed Karii.

"I want to keep everything of hers"

What had happened to Karii would break Sandstorm's heart.

"Breakdown" Blacklight said, "Take this and throw it into one of the trash outlets?"

Breakdown turned around. He was absolutely shocked. Blacklight was carrying Karii's mutilated body. Breakdown wanted to turn away and vomit He couldn't believe what Blacklight had just said. He referred to Karii as `this' and `it' as though she was some object.

"Yuck, Blacklight. That's gross. What did you do to her?"

"She's only an Autobot, Breakdown."

"Yeah, but, it's still gross."

"I don't care. I'll kill Autobots in any way I like. Now will you take her body and throw it out?"

"No. You killed her. You do it."

"Fine. It doesn't bother me who gets rid of her - at least I don't get squeamish."

"You're disgusting."

"And I love it. Oh - I have another job for you to do."

"What this time?"

"Transmit this message to Autobot headquarters and if you don't, I'll tell Megatron, when he comes back that you're a traitor!"

"All right ... I'll do it."

Breakdown walked into the main control room, inserted the disk and began the transmission. The massage was coded, and so he couldn't read it.

Sandstorm was in the main control room of Autobot headquarters, receiving the message.

Dearest Sandstorm,

I'm sorry I haven't contacted you. My radio transmitter was damaged in the battle. I'm using a computer I found. I didn't return after the battle because I wanted some time away. All this fighting really gets to me sometimes. But I really miss you and I've found a secret supply of energon under a large garbage site. There's too much of it here to take back, and I need some help. We can sure use it against the Decepticons.

Love, Karii.

Sandstorm was overjoyed and he showed it - and he eagerly went to the trash outlet of Polyhex to look for Karii and the energon supply she had 'found.'

Sandstorm arrived and called out to Karii. There was no reply, so he began to look for her. He searched for hours in the junk.

I don't understand. Sandstorm thought. This is not like Karii at all.

He began to dig through more trash. Sandstorm saw something glinting under some rusting metal with holes. He lifted the metal off. The glinting metal was an Autobot symbol. Sandstorm grimaced and remembered something he'd told Karii a long time ago.

`I love you, Karii. Take care ....'

He hated it when Karii hurt herself or was frightened - even just a little. He was worried and began to call out her name. Perhaps she had to hide from some Decepticons or something.

He searched for a while longer. There was no sign of Karii or the energon supply. Sandstorm uncovered some rubbish. Karii was lying underneath and Sandstorm gasped. Her face was pale. He uncovered the rest of her. Sandstorm was utterly shocked and reeled backwards when he saw her mutilated body. Dried blood, everywhere. Sandstorm couldn't stand it. He screamed and couldn't bear to look at her like this. He couldn't understand how anyone could even think of hurting her - let alone killing her.

It must've been so painful ... She must have been terrified... thought Sandstorm, crying. "How could anyone do this?"

Sandstorm couldn't describe his shocked feelings in words. Karii was so beautiful .... so young .... so innocent .... Of all the things that could've happened ... Why this? .... Why to her? .... Why couldn't it have happened to me? .... Why her? ....WHY??!!

Sandstorm was still crying. He couldn't believe what had happened. He wished he was dreaming, but he knew he wasn't.

"My worst nightmare has come true" he said, face streaked with tears.

"And Sandstorm, it is only just beginning ...." grinned Blacklight.

Sandstorm looked up and saw the Decepticon.

"How could you do this?"

"With the greatest of ease ... And I don't mind telling you it was fun .... hearing her scream, all the blood-"

"STOP IT!!!"

Blacklight laughed and blasted at the Autobot. Sandstorm was charging for Blacklight in a mix of heartbreak and rage. Blacklight blasted him.

"I'm pleased at my little plan .... It worked perfectly, and now to complete it --"

Blacklight aimed his blaster at Sandstorm's head for the final blast. A blast came, but from the sky. Before Sandstorm knew what grabbed him, he was inside Skyfire, with Karii's body, headed for Autobot headquarters.

"Thanks, Skyfire ...."

"Don't mention it."

"I can't believe you fell for that trick," Jazz said. "We scanned the area - there was no energy and no Karii."

"At first I was so excited, and Karii was there." Sandstorm burst into tears. Jazz was shocked at what he saw and helped Sandstorm rush Karii to Ratchet in the repair bay.

"Is there any way you can repair her?"

"I don't know, Sandstorm," said Ratchet truthfully.

After cleaning the blood from Karii, she didn't look as bad, but didn't look good either. Ratchet and First Aid began to repair her.

In a few hours. they had mended all her injured cuts. At last, her body was back to normal.

"Now we have to re-energise her" said Ratchet. "It may not reactivate her, Sandstorm, and it will take quite a while to work."

Sandstorm helped get the reactivating machine ready and started to try to reactivate Karii. He didn't want to stay in the room. It made him nervous and worried. He walked into the main control room, but it didn't relieve his state of mind.

Hours later, the reactivating machine was still working.

Finally, Karii sat up.

"Karii!" exclaimed Ratchet hugging her.

"Ohh ... thanks ..." she said, still very weak. "Where's Sandstorm?"

"In the main control room. Go and surprise him."

Karii smiled. Ratchet helped her off the bed and went to find Sandstorm.

Sandstorm had been waiting in the control room anxiously for hours, crying soundlessly. He put his hands on Teletraan I. Karii silently came into the control room. She walked over to him.

"Don't cry" she said gently, putting her arm around his back.

Sandstorm gasped. He jerked and stared at Karii.

"Karii!! You're alive!!" he exclaimed hugging her.

He could not describe his feelings in words. Karii kissed him gently.

"I was an idiot to trust Blacklight" she confessed.

"You're not an idiot - but please be careful ...."

"I will and I'll never trust any Decepticon again ... I was so frightened when he was killing me...."

"I know" said Sandstorm, gently hugging her. And I'm gonna get him for it.

 

In one battle, soon after, Sandstorm had signaled out Blacklight and blasted him five times. Blacklight fell onto the ground and couldn't stand. Sandstorm walked over to him. Blacklight was frightened. Sandstorm blasted him again. Blacklight was still conscious, but frightened.

"Why? ...." Sandstorm demanded.

"Why?" Blacklight's face twisted in a rage. "WHY??!! To make YOU suffer the pain I did all those millions of years ago, you bastard! THAT'S WHY!"

"What did I ever do to you?"

"Ohh, this is goooood .... you have no idea, you filthy Autobot scum .... Millions of years ago, your Alpha Regiment," began Blacklight-

"Which you murdered," Sandstorm spat.

"Yeah - that you got right."

"And you murdered Mirah."

With a colossal effort, Blacklight managed to contain his rage, and kept his voice deceptively calm. "I did not kill her."

"That's not what the record says."

"F$%^ the record! I LOVED HER!!!" Blacklight tried to calm himself. Yelling at someone who had the business and of a laser rifle trained on your head was not a good idea.

"I loved Mirah," Blacklight said. "I found her wounded after one battle. She was frightened. I didn't want to hurt her, and so I repaired her and we became friends - more than friends. I wanted to leave the war with her - escape from it with her, but it didn't happen. Your Alpha regiment thought she was a traitor and killed her. If you don't believe me - I don't care. That's the way it happened."

"Alpha Regiment was sent to ring back a traitor ..." Sandstorm closed his eyes for a moment, letting what Blacklight had told him sink in. Although he hated the Decepticon, and wouldn't trust him with a five hundred foot pole, Sandstorm could tell somehow that Blacklight was telling the truth.

"After all this time you still care for her..."

"You would still care for Karii."

Sandstorm nodded. "I am sorry for your loss - I did not order Alpha Regiment to harm anyone. They did so without my authorization and I am sorry for what they did. I will have the records amended accordingly."

"At least that's something," Blacklight said, "but it won't bring Mirah back."

"Nor will hurting anyone else. You had no quarrel with Karii and you caused her great suffering. What happened to Mirah all those years ago is no excuse for what you did."

"So I'm not perfect - will you get on with it and kill me? It's what you want to do, isn't it?"

"At first, perhaps, but there has been enough killing. Go, Blacklight. I never expect to quarrel with you again. This is over."

"For you perhaps."

"Blacklight, get a life. Mirah has been dead for almost nine million years. You're tearing yourself apart with the memory. I feel for you, I really do, after what you just told me, but you have to get on with your life."

"Perhaps you're right ... but I don't know how. Sandstorm... I'm sorry."

Sandstorm nodded. "You'll find your way - you have to listen to yourself, not old memories and vengeance." And with that he left the Decepticon with a lot to think about.

Sandstorm arrived back home at Autobot headquarters and Karii greeted him happily. He gently hugged her. She kissed him on his cheek. Sandstorm was extremely relieved and overjoyed that Karii was safe and back with him. The past weeks had been the most hectic, frightening nightmare of his life. Sandstorm was grateful that everything was all right now and Karii was safe. He just hoped it nothing bad ever happened to her again.

Blacklight sat alone in his quarters at Decepticon headquarters. Perhaps Sandstorm was right - He wished more than anything the Mirah was here with him, but she wasn't. She couldn't be - perhaps if he died he would be with her, but Blacklight was afraid to die, and he realized he was afraid to live. He knew Mirah would be shocked at the atrocities he had committed since her death and it tore him apart, and he knew he would have to come to terms with what had happened, and was grateful that this was a beginning.

 

~~~~~~~~~

 Back to Autobot & Decepticon Fanfic Page

 

Back to Transformers Page