Disclaimers:  Knight Rider was created by Glen A. Larson

 

No monetary profit is being made by this fanfic

 

Summary:  Kitt is completely trashed and Titania takes care of him.

 

Author's note:  This is a different take on Knight of the Juggernaut, though Kitt is trashed much worse.  Story is set in today's time.

 

Sequel to K.I.T.T.'S KNIGHT and K.A.R.R. VS K.I.T.T.

 

 

Rating PG

 

~~~~~~~~

 

 

KNIGHT LIGHTS

 

 

 

Titania and Michael stared in horror at KITT's trashed body.  Titania screamed KITT's name, and ran toward him, but Michael kept her back.

  "It's too dangerous, he might explode."

  "No …"

Bonnie ran to them, horrified.  "Are you all right?"

Titania was in tears.  Michael held her.  Bonnie turned and saw what was left of KITT and her mouth hung agape.  "KITT!  Ohh my gods, Kitt!!!" Bonnie looked like she had just lost her only child.

  "Can you fix him…" Titania wailed.

  "I'll sure as Hades try." Bonnie promised.

 

 

            *   *   *

 

  "There's …. nothing I can do …" Bonnie stammered.

  "NO!" Titania screamed.  "There *must* be…'

Bonnie was in tears.  "I tried everything …"

  "Try again, please."

Bonnie shook her head.  "There's nothing I can do…"

She held KITT's grieving love.

 

Although the bad guys were caught, in the end, and the monstrosity that hurt KITT destroyed, it did little to alleviate the loss.  Michael consoled Titania.

  "He meant as much to me as he did to you."

  "I know."

The two held each other.

 

*   *   *

 

Later that night, Michael came to KITT alone.  Titania watched him from the next room.

  "You look like you've seen better days, Buddy."  He half expected a witty response. "In truth, KITT, I always thought it would be me to go before you."

A long silence followed.

  "You … you were the best partner I ever had … and the best .. friend…" Michael's voice broke up and he could hold his tears no longer.

Titania decided to leave Michael be and left for the night, planning on getting drunk and drowning her sorrows.

 

  "I'm so sorry, Kitt," Michael sobbed.  "I feel this is my fault somehow.  I take back all the times I told you to shut up… I'm sorry…  I sure miss your wisecracks…" And he began to cry some more.

  "Speak to me, Buddy."

But he knew there would be no response.

 

 

            *   *   *

 

Fortunately Titania was rescued by Bonnie before she could do too much damage to herself.

  "Let's get you home."

  "It's so unfair … Why Kitt? He was so innocent … so unique …"

  "I know."

  "I hope he didn't feel any pain …"

  "I don't think he would have," Bonnie said, but in truth she was not sure.

  "What if we used that device and made him human?"

  "I'm afraid it wouldn't work…"

Titania wailed into the night.

 

            *   *   *

 

The real Devon back in business, he too was horrified to hear what had happened to KITT and would find time to grieve alone.

  "FLAG have told me to trash Kitt's body," he told the others.

Titania, Bonnie and Michael turned around to face him.

  "We can't throw him away like he's a broken toaster," Titania said in horror.  "Is that all they think he is?"

  "I agree wholeheartedly.  Kitt was a friend of mine too, though he has delicate circuitry and if that were to fall into the wrong hands …"

Titania took a breath.  "Let me take him.  Let me take care of him."

"I appreciate your concern, Miss Berry," Devon said, "but Kitt is-"

 "Don't say it, please… I know there's still life in him.  I can feel it …"

Devon shook his head.  "We have scanned him, probed him and there's nothing."

  "Please, Devon, let me take him to my garage.  At least he can rest in peace there.  You can put quadruple security locks on the door if you like, but we can't just abandon him."

Devon sighed, deeply touched by her concern.  "As you wish."

Michael nodded.  "I'm sure Kitt would appreciate that, but I'm not sure he can."

Titania held Michael's hand.

 

            *   *   *

 

The broken KITT was transported under a black cover to Titania's garage.  They moved him to the back of the garage.  Titania began making up and stacking empty boxes in front of KITT.

  "What are you doing?" Michael asked.

  "If anyone comes to steal him all they'll see are these boxes."

  "Good idea," but Michael wondered who would want to steal KITT in this condition?  Gently he patted KITT's warped hood.

  "Goodbye, Buddy, but I promise to come and visit."

  "You better," Titania said.

Michael could tell she wasn't joking.

 

That night Titania brought home a new TV set and DVD player, which she set up in the garage.

  "This is for you, Kitt, so you don't get bored."

She could almost hear him say 'thank you.'

  "My pleasure," she said.  "Ohh, Kitt I know you're still alive in there somewhere, but you can't respond, can you?"

 

 

            *   *   *

 

As the months went by Titania still had not given up.  She even washed and waxed KITT from time to time.  She would sit by him and read to him, talk to him.  She even slept by him one night on a thin mattress with a blanket.

The back door to the garage burst open.  Titania awoke with a start as the light turned on.

  "Michael you frightened me!"

  "I was worried about you," he said.  "I didn't see you inside."

  "I figure sometimes Kitt gets lonely."

Michael gave a sad smile.  "How is my old buddy?"

  "Not so good," Titania said, but I've been reading to him, and letting him watch some DVD's and TV so he doesn't get bored.

  "I'm sure he'd appreciate it." But in truth Michael didn't have Titania's confidence that KITT could be repaired someday, but he didn't want to dampen her spirits.

  "What have you been reading him?"

  "We just finished The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings."

  "Whooh.  That's a long read."

  "I figured Kitt hadn't read it, so I thought I'd enlighten him."

Michael put his arms around Titania.  "Thank you … I didn't know how to say goodbye to him, but it looks like you're taking good care of him, now let's get you to bed miss, it's cold in here."

Titania kissed Kitt's worse for wear hood before retiring for the night.

 

            *   *   *

 

Every night Titania either read to KITT, talked to him or watched her favourite movies with him.  They had just finished the Herbie the Love Bug series.

  "I have always wondered what would happen if you met Herbie, Kitt. I bet you'd show him all your favourite places to hang out."  She smiled and stroked KITT's bumper.

 

            *   *   *

 

She would always tell KITT when she was going out and tell him not to worry.  She worried so for him.

  "FLAG got Michael a new car today," she told him.  "It has a molecular bondage shell just like you and all your gadgets.  It even talks, but Michael says it's not a patch on you, Kitt.  Even though he doesn't visit often, he misses you, Kitt.  We all do."  Gently, She stroked his bumper.

 

            *   *   *

 

It had been two years since KITT ceased to function, but still Titania would not give up.  She had just brought home on DVD the extended versions of all three The Lord of the Rings movies and planned to watch them with KITT.

 

  "I hope you're liking it," KITT," she said after The Two Towers.

 

During The Return of the King, the DVD jumped.  Titania became disheartened at first, then the TV switched off.  It was not a power failure as the light was still on.  She switched the TV on again.  It switched itself off.  This continued to happen for a minute or so before it dawned on Titania.

  "Kitt?"  She looked over to him and saw his redlight scanner blinking.

  "KITT!!  Wait right there, I'll get Bonnie!"

She raced to her telephone and dialled Bonnie's number.

  "Bonnie!  Bonnie!  Bonnie!  Bonnie!  Bonnie!!!!"

  "What is it?" Bonnie asked, hearing Titania's excited voice.

  "KITT'S scanner turned on!"

  "What?!"

Titania forced herself to take a breath.  "Kitt's scanner turned on!!  It ahppened while we were watching TV.  I'm sure it was him who made the TV go off.  Now either that means Kitt doesn't like Lord of the Rings or he's alive."

  "I'll be right over."  Bonnie could scarcely believe it.

 

 

She came right own over with Michael and Devon.  All three were delighted to see KITT's scanner blinking.

  "We have to get him back to FLAG HQ."

  "Be careful with him," Titania urged.

  "We will be," Bonnie promised.

  "Kitt?" Michael said.  "Are you really there?"

  "I don't think he can talk yet, Michael, but it's a start."

Knight hoped no one notice a tear rolling down his cheek.

 

 

Bonnie and the FLAG technicians worked day and night on KITT and finally had his body back to its original self.  His circuitry, however took a lot more work.  Last to be repaired was his voice box.

 "Kitt?" Bonnie inquired, hoping their efforts were not in vain.

 "Bonnie .."

  "Ohh Kitt.." She rubbed his hood.

  "It's wonderful to be back."

  "It's wonderful to have you back.  Kitt I'm so sorry … We thought you were…"

  "So did I … The only think that kept me going was taking power from whatever I could, but I needed a lot of it just to function, let alone light up."

  "Ohh Kitt…"

Bonnie dried her tears.

 

  "I'm sure Bonnie has already said it, but it's wonderful to have you back with us, Kitt."

 "And I say again it's wonderful to be back, Devon, but what about the other car?"

  "It's not sentient like you," Devon said.  "I'm having it shipped to FLAG's operation in Canada."

 

 

Titania placed her arms around the FLAG Technician.  "Thank you…"

  "Thank *you.* If it wans't for that TV set of yours, we may never have got KITT back in operation again."

Bonnie explained that KITT had used the power from the outlet to stay alive.

  "The more you used that TV the stronger Kitt became.  Some may have thought it silly, but you saved Kitt's life."

 

Michael approached KITT.

  "Cat got your tongue?" KITT asked after a long silence.

  "Kitt … "Michael shook his head.  "I can't believe you're back …"

  "Nor can I …I thought I'd never get up enough power." Another silence followed.

  "You came to visit me twice in two years, Michael.  Didn't you care?"

Michael Knight became hurt.  "Kitt how could you say that?  Of course I cared!  It ate me up inside that you were gone.  I didn't know what to do. You were the best partner and friend I ever had."

  "I know.  I heard."

  "You heard me?"

   "Every word."

  "Did she really read you The Lord of the Rings?"

  "Every word.  And Harry Potter too.  She even put on the accents, but Michael, it hurt that you didn't come to see me more often."

  "Kitt, It tore me up to see you like that.  I'm sorry …"

  "You're forgiven, Michael."

  "Thanks, Kitt."

  "Did you really mean what you said about taking back all the times you told me to shut up?"

  "What do you think?"

  "That's what I thought."

Michael chuckled.  "It's great to have you back, Buddy."

  "It's great to be back, Michael."

  "That new car's not a patch on you."

  "So Titania told me."

 

KITT met Titania outside.  "Promise me we'll finish watching The Return of the King.  I find The Lord of the Rings fascinating."

  "Of course, Kitt."

  "Though I was a tad jealous at the way you looked at Aragorn."

Titania laughed.  "I love you, Kitt."

   "The feeling's mutual … I can't thank you enough for believing in me, for saving me from death … at least death of boredom."

Titania laughed.  "My pleasure, Kitt."  She kissed his sleek black hood.

 

She Michael, Devon and Bonnie went for a fast drive inside KITT for the sheer fun of it as he turbo boosted into the night.

 

 *

 

 

Received 2 votes in the 2005 Edward Awards for  "Best Short Story"

 

            1 vote for "Best Old Timer Story"

 

            1 vote for "Best Canon Fic"

 

            3 votes for "Best Dramatic Scene"

            

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Back to Knight Rider Page