Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

Summary: Optimus Primal returns

Author's Note: This story takes place during and after - Beast Wars: Other Voices, Part II.  It was written before the start of the second season.  My very first Transformers Beast Wars fic

Rating M

~~~~~~~~

MARK OF A TRUE LEADER

 

Fear ripped through him like a charged energon sword. Optimus Primal braced himself for the explosion - not that it would do him any good, and the sound of Megatron laughing didn't ease the state of his mind. His short life flashed before his optics, his creation, the elders teaching him, learning, becoming the Maximal Leader, his friends, landing here, assuming beast forms, fighting Predacons ... He was young for a Transformer, a mere thirty-three years. He knew the risks when he accepted his position as Maximal Leader. He knew the risks when he blasted off aboard the stasis pod to stop the aliens, but he was confident he could pull it off. Primal wanted to scream in frustration - now knowing there was no escape from his pending fate. He was absolutely terrified and what was worse - Megatron knew it. He saw the fear on Optimus' face - the terror in his eyes and he smiled.

Again Primal struggled to open the hatch.

"Oh I assure you, it's very secure."

Optimus ignored him and tried again. Now getting desperate, he bashed it, but still it wouldn't budge.

Megatron laughed at his futile efforts. "My you are determined..."

Optimus glared at him. "Bastard..." he spat.

"Ooh ... such language from a Maximal ... I'm impressed, yeeeess."

Primal growled. "Oh, this is just Prime." He gasped as he felt an impact on the pod. Almost instantly, the bottom half blew apart. Optimus Primal screamed in agony as the lower half of his body was torn from him in an instant. The pain was too much to bear. Megatron watched with interest. Primal clamped his eyes shut and gasped, trying to ignore the pain. What was left of his body shivered. He'd have given anything to stop the pain.

Megatron sat back in his throne. "Well this is more than I bargained for..." He smiled as he heard his arch enemy scream, and saw the twisted pain on his face.

The Maximal Leader glared at Megatron through his agony.

Megatron looked innocent. "Really, Primal, I had no idea this would happen - that your death would be so painful ... so enjoyable..." and he laughed.

Optimus spat on the viewer, which only made Megatron's smile broaden. Primal shut his eyes and tried the hatch again, for all the good it did.

"My you Maximals are persistent."

Optimus ignored him. His throat taut, body tense, trying to suppress the pain. He was growing weaker, due to the loss of blood and energon.

"Tired, Optimus? Never mind. You'll be able to sleep soon ...forever..."

"Shut ... up! ..." Primal hissed weakly. The last thing he needed was Megatron 'comforting' him in his dying moments.

The Predacon Leader gave a wicked smile. "It's so hard to find anything decent to watch these days..." He laughed again. "Especially on Primal Time ..." He laughed again.

"Sadistic bastard, isn't he?" Terrorsaur whispered to Scorponok.

Optimus Primal felt the pod shudder again. A piece of debris sliced through the back of it, through his middle. Primal's eyes bulged, and his blood curdling shriek pierced Megatron's audio receptors, and he watched as Primal's blood and internals splatted of the main viewer.

Terrorsaur grimaced and threw up.

Megatron winced, as he looked at Optimus, though not with sympathy. "Ooh ... I bet that hurt... Looks so painful... This show gets better ... I'll say this, you've definitely got guts, Primal, yeeees."

"Go ... to ... silicon ... hell...." he managed to rasp. He winced and gasped, the excruciating pain unbearable. He failed to suppress painful tears.

"Ohh ..." Megatron began in mock sympathy. "Just take a pain killer. If pain persists, see your doctor."

Optimus in took a sharp breath as the pain flared.

"Thank you, Optimus, this has been fun..." Megatron laughed.

Primal was unable to suppress it, and silently begged Please ... anything ... please, please ... make it sto...op ...

Then the pod exploded. Mercifully the excruciating pain and Megatron's ranting ended.

Megatron sighed and shook his head. "Good shows ... they never seem to last long enough, do they?" He looked around.

"You are sick," Terrorsaur said in disgust.

"Look who's talking - clean that mess up, pathetic wimp." Then he smiled. "Ooh, Primal, what a way to go ..."

Meanwhile a lone Spark drifted through the cosmos.

* * *

The weakened Spark used all its integrity to keep its molecular structure intact in the force of the explosion and drifted away from it. Miraculously Optimus Primal's consciousness survived. He knew he had to get back to the planet, but also knew his Spark would most likely burn up in the atmosphere. As quickly as he could, he absorbed energy from the outgoing explosion, revitalising his Spark. He needed all the energy he could to get through the planet's atmosphere and even then he wasn't sure he'd make it. He braced himself, hoping, praying he'd survive. At least Megatron couldn't get him this time and thankfully he didn't have his enemy's boasting to listen to - but revenge was the last thing on Primal's mind right now. Optimus entered the upper atmosphere above the Axalon. It was like negotiating through an impossible burning wind. The Spark became weaker. Optimus knew his efforts would be for nothing if he didn't survive. He increased speed to maximum velocity and could feel his Spark losing its structural integrity. It took all his strength just to make it through.

Ohh ... rough ride ... he was almost too weak to think - thankfully he was close to the Axalon.

"So long Primal ...." Blackarachnia sneered. "It was nice knowin' ya ..."

"Will someone like get her out of here before I like ... loose my cool?!" Cheetor growled.

"Oh, what's up, pussycat?..."

Unable to restrain himself any longer, the spotted Maximal lunged for her. The two tore into each other. In his rage, Cheetor overcame Blackarachnia, much to her surprise. He transformed into beast mode and clawed her face. She shrieked as his claws ripped through her cheek. He bit her claw as she tried to whack him off. Tigatron lifted Cheetor off the fallen Predacon, whilst Dinobot kicked her outside.

"Good riddance," he snarled.

Cheetor was still snarling as Tigatron held him by the scruff of the neck. "Easy Little Cat. We're all upset about Optimus, but violence and hatred isn't going to bring him back."

"Yeah," Rhinox said, his voice glum.

Tigatron put Cheetor down. Rattrap looked at the yellow cat.

"Ehh, kid, even I'm gonna miss his big butt."

"Why that's the most sentimental thing I've ever heard you say," Airrazor said.

"Yeah, well don't get used to it, Birdie."

Airrazor shook her head and smiled. Cheetor tried to, but found he could not. He transformed into robot mode and sat down at the centre table. "I ... I can't believe he's ... gone ..." He broke himself off, feeling tears well up in his eyes. Tigatron sat next to him. Dinobot watched them and felt pity for the young Cheetor. He'd never been one for sentimentality, but Cheetor's open love for his leader, his friend had deeply touched Dinobot, although he would never admit it.

There was silence aboard the Axalon.

Primal's Spark saw a weakened Blackarachnia, Tarantulas and Inferno slowly making their way back to Predacon headquarters.

Good... he thought, less .... problems to ... face ...

The Spark could barley keep aloft. Slowly, he continued, and after what seemed like an eternity, came up on the Axalon. He barely had the energy to sigh with relief, both that he had reached the base and the breach in the shields was still there - he couldn't get in otherwise. He was gliding so close to the ground, he knew if he didn't get inside soon, his Spark would become nothing more than dust to be scattered by the winds.

"Mmm... I am detecting an unknown presence entering the base," Dinobot snarled.

"What?" Rhinox said, and was instantly at the computer. "Shit ... that breach hasn't been repaired. Could be a Pred intruder. I'll compensate the shields," and he did that.

Fortunately for Optimus, his Spark made it inside, as fast as he could, which was very slow, made his way to the main control room. The Spark touched the floor. If he had the energy, Optimus would have gasped. He needed the others to see him. He pushed himself beyond all his limits to make into the control room and finally did.

"What's that ... It's a Spark..." Cheetor exclaimed.

"Not Starscream again I hope," Rattrap said.

"A Spark! .... " Rhinox said in disbelief.

"It must be Optimus ..." Cheetor said. "His Spark must have survived..."

"That is not likely" Dinobot said, "although I commend your ... spirit."

Rhinox caught the Spark gently in his hand as it began to fall. Cheetor instantly scanned it. "Yes! I hate to break it to the sceptics ..."

"CR chamber fast!" Rhinox said, urgently, rushing there.

Optimus cherished the safety of Rhinox's large, comforting hands. Never before had he felt so relieved and safe.

"I don't know if you can hear me, but we'll do everything we can, Optimus."

He placed the Spark in the CR chambers and slowly energised it. "There. That should give him enough energy to keep in tact for now, but unless we can find him a beast mode..."

"How can we?" Dinobot said. "We need the equipment aboard a Stasis pod, and even then we'll need time to reconfigure it to work with the chamber - and even if we could, how can we save his mind?"

"If we have Optimus' DNA and schematics on file we may be able to save-"

"I'm right on it," Cheetor said, leaping up and searching the computer. "Come on ... come on.... please let there be somethin' here...." He tried to keep the desperation out of his voice, whilst holding back tears.

Rattrap patted his shoulder. "Kid, we all miss the guy...."

"Optimus was a brave, loyal and honour bound leader - but if there is nothing we can do, then so be it."

Cheetor snarled. "You son of a slagging...!"

"Cool it," Rattrap said. "That's as sensitive as Chopper Face here gets."

Dinobot snarled, but it wasn't in anger. "The least we can do is honour his memory."

"Hold that thought!" Cheetor exclaimed. "We can honour more than that ... Thank Primus ... I found Optimus' DNA Schematic File!"

Rhinox sighed with relief. "Thanks, Cheet. I'll take over now. You guys get some rest - you look like you need it."

"Optimus is gonna be okay, isn't he?"

The childlike innocence of Cheetor's question almost made Rhinox cry. "I'll do everything I can for him," he replied in all honesty. "I'll feed this info into the CR chamber. To tell you the truth, it's a long shot in the dark, but it's the only shot we have."

Rhinox knew he hadn't answered Cheetor's question with a lot of hope, but he felt he couldn't insult the young one by patronising him and sugar coating the truth.

"Good luck" Cheetor said, respecting Rhinox's honesty.

"Thanks," the large Maximal said. "I'll need it."

"Do you need any help?"

Rhinox smiled at Cheetor's devotion. "Thanks, but I'm the only one who knows enough about the systems to make this happen. You go and chill out for a while. I'll call you if I need you, or when I'm finished."

"Okay, thanks, Rhinox." Cheetor walked outside. He didn't feel like resting. He was too worried. He transformed into Beast Mode, and walked into the forest, unaware he was being watched and followed by another. Cheetor felt the outside air relaxing him a little, and the atmosphere out here wasn't as tense as inside the base, but although he liked the forest, it didn't seem as comforting now.

He walked further into the forest, still unaware of his pursuant.

Cheetor felt he couldn't walk any further and collapsed by a large rock, but not from exhaustion. He was too upset to continue. He sniffed and let the tears flow. His only reassurance was as far as he was concerned there was no one else around to tease him, or look down on him for showing his true feelings. He valued his friends more than anything, but the last thing he needed right now were Rattrap and Dinobot's sentiments. He felt he could talk to Rhinox, but he was snowed under with doing everything he could for Optimus, and Cheetor felt he couldn't talk to him with the others around. Airrazor would understand, and so would Tigatron, he thought, but he didn't know where they were and he still felt uncomfortable. He sat by the rock and sobbed, "He saved all of us..."

He did not notice a figure atop the rock, casting a shadow over him. The figure leapt down beside him. Cheetor snapped and snarled at the suddenness.

"It's only me," Tigatron calmed.

So did Cheetor. "Sorry. I'm real edgy right now." He paced back and forth. "Why did it have to happen, Tigatron?..." He asked after a pause.

"It is the way of things, my young friend. Birth, life, death - no matter what, the cycle continues."

Cheetor slowly nodded. "Yeah, but sorry if I don't seem comforted."

Tigatron gave an understanding smile. "The Universe works in mysterious ways, Little Cat. You're young. You have much to learn." Tigatron transformed into robot mode and sat beside him. "Optimus isn't dead."

"I know, but I'm scared."

"I know, and I know exactly how much he means to you - to all of us - yes, even Rattrap." Cheetor smiled as the white tiger continued. "He's dear to us all, and so if he does not make it the best we can do is honour his memory - and the gifts of friendship and courage he brought us and to go on - he'd want that."

"I know, but I'll sure miss him."

"As will I, but his spirit will always be with us, as Snowstalker's is with me."

Cheetor lay his head in Tigatron's lap, finally realising how tired he was, and also how much he needed that talk. Tigatron smiled warmly at his friend and stroked his head until the spotted cat fell asleep purring.

Meanwhile, back at the Axalon ...

"Come on ... come on..." Rhinox urged watching the readings intently. "If this doesn't work Optimus is as good as gone..."

"I commend your admirable efforts," Dinobot said, "but as I said - if there's nothing we can do, then-"

"Don't write him off. Optimus ain't licked yet."

"Yeah, Chopper Face? What if it was you in there?" Rattrap said.

"Don't think I don't respect Optimus. I have great admiration for our leader - but the Predacons will soon mobilise and we must be ready for their imminent attack. Optimus would not wish us to expend energy trying to restore him if the outcome were to be negative."

"You're right," Rhinox said, "but it ain't over till the fat bot sings. I'll keep tryin' until I know for sure whether it will or won't work and that's final."

Dinobot knew there would be no further discussion. He respected Rhinox a lot. He hadn't meant to anger the elder Maximal, just to let the others know the Predacons would not sit idle and to make sure his comrades were prepared, but he had confidence in them. He also knew they could make it without Optimus Primal, not that he felt Primal wasn't worthy - he'd taught the Maximals well - well enough to go on without him, but Dinobot hoped that wouldn't be the case.

Rhinox worked long and hard.

"Do you need any assistance?" Dinobot inquired, knowing his friend would not give up.

"Yeah, thanks. I'm going on to phase two. If you could monitor the energy output while I check the chamber."

Dinobot eyed the readout. "So far so good."

Rhinox studied the chamber and pushed a few buttons. "There, that should increase the power a little."

"It's stable," Dinobot said, anticipating Rhinox's question.

"Good."

And they waited.

And waited.

"Something's happening..." Rhinox said. "Keep it stable.."

"I'm trying..." Dinobot said, although his voice was a snarl, it was not harsh. "There..."

Rhinox looked relieved and eyed the monitor. "It's working!" he could barely keep his excitement in check as he increased the power a little.

"Come on.... Come on...."

Optimus' Spark started to take form.

Rhinox kept at the controls, instantly rectifying fluctuations and anomalies. "Everything's running smooth, for now," he said.

Suddenly the computer beeped. A series of violent mechanical screeches followed.

Rhinox's eyes widened. "It's losing integrity! No!.... Quick! We gotta stabilise it!"

He and Dinobot hurriedly adjusted the controls. Dinobot threw his velociraptor arms up in frustration. "It's not working!"

"It has to..." Rhinox would not give up. "Please..."

He desperately tried to regulate and stabilise the energy flow. "I'm losing him..."

Dinobot hurriedly compensated the controls, which were going haywire and he growled. "His form's dematerialising..."

"NO!" Rhinox yelled. Frantic now, but keeping his cool, he boosted the power flow.

"What're you going?!" Dinobot exclaimed. "Are you mad?! You'll blow the entire system!"

"It's Optimus' only chance...."

They waited a short while as the systems adjusted to the new energy flow and the controls calmed.

"Phew ... thank Primus ... he's stabilising ...."

Dinobot had never seen anyone so relieved, except perhaps Terrorsaur when Megatron decided to let him live. Dinobot admired Rhinox's cool under extreme pressure, but more so his determination for a fellow comrade. He too was quite relieved that Optimus' form had regained its integrity and had not disappeared into nothing more than memories.

But - it wasn't over yet.

Dinobot and Rhinox stayed close by the computer, scrupulously monitoring every blip, instantly correcting even the slightest instability.

"Finally ..." Rhinox breathed. "He's assuming solid form..." He watched intently and continued to monitor the readings. "I am now combining his biological molecular structure with his robot schematics on file."

"Proceed," Dinobot said, giving the all clear, not even looking up for a moment from the computer.

Rhinox merged the two and increased the energy flow slightly.

"All we can do now is wait, watch, hope and pray."

Slowly but surely the energy took a more solid shape and began forming Optimus Primal. Rhinox smiled for the first time in many hours and checked the controls - all stable.

"He's gonna make it..." he breathed, his voice holding much relief. He only hoped Optimus Primal's mind was in tact.

Rhinox waited a full two hours before he deemed it safe to let Optimus out of the CR chamber. Disorientated at first, Optimus Primal fell forward, and Rhinox caught him.

"Easy..."

"Ohhh ..." the Maximal leader groaned. "Wh..at ... where.... Rhinox..."

The other smiled, grateful there was nothing wrong with Primal's mind or memories. "Thank the Primordial Program...."

He helped Optimus sit down.

A substantial pause followed.

"Do you remember anything, Optimus?"

"I rem...ember..." Optimus began slowly," my pod ... my...self being torn ...apart..." he closed his eyes for a moment, not wanting to recall the horrific experience. "Then I remember vaguely coming here... It was like a dream... I was ... so ... so ... tired..."

"I'll go and check on the others," Dinobot said, sensing Rhinox wished to be alone with Optimus.

"Thank you," Rhinox said in respect as Dinobot left.

Optimus put his hand to his head. "Ohhh..."

"What is it?" Rhinox asked, concerned, hoping it was nothing major.

"I'm so tired ... and I've one hell of a headache..."

Rhinox smiled. "Understandable, but hey, at least you're alive."

Primal managed a smile. "Thank ... you, Rhinox - you're a miracle worker."

The large Maximal smiled gently. "I do my best. It's great to have y' back."

"It's great to be back ... I think..."

Rhinox smiled again.

Optimus Primal shivered when his painful 'death' entered his mind again. He shook his head and placed it in his hands.

"It must've been awful..." Rhinox said, as if reading his friend's mind. He moved and sat next to him. "Do you need to talk about it?"

There was a pause before Optimus spoke. "I knew ... the risks but when Megatron jammed the pod's escape hatch ... Rhinox, I was terrified ..."

Rhinox put his arm around his friend's back. "I don't blame you."

"He mocked me, laughed ... while I was being torn to pieces..."

Rhinox growled. "Sounds like something he'd do all right ... But you're okay now."

Primal smiled. "I can't thank you enough. You're a true friend, Rhinox."

Rhinox gave a warm smile. "So are you - and y' don't have to thank me. It's my pleasure - you know we thought we lost you a few times, you got us real worried."

"Sorry, old friend."

Rhinox smiled again. "But everything worked out fine."

"I'm very pleased to hear that."

"Now, Optimus, you need to rest yourself."

"No, Rhinox, I-"

"Optimus..."

Primal knew that tone of voice and that it would be hopeless to argue and besides, he knew full well he needed sleep. He began to hear footsteps approaching and turned around.

"Optimus!!!!" Cheetor's eyes went wide and he bounded to his leader and leapt onto him, almost clumsily leapt onto the table and transformed into robot mode.

"Sorry..." He hugged his friend. "It's ultra cool to have you back, Big Bot." He hugged Optimus harder. "We were so scared we'd ... lose you ..." His voice was broken by tears.

Optimus Primal smiled, touched.

Rattrap looked at Optimus. "Yeah, like e' said ... So I guess this means ... I don't get your quarters?"

Optimus smiled. "It's great to be back, you guys."

Tigatron put his hand on his leader's shoulder and smiled. "May you always lead us, my friend."

Optimus Primal retreated to his quarters and rested for a few hours.

Meanwhile at the Predacon base, Megatron was viewing Optimus Primal's final moments again.

"Ahh... instant replay, Yeees. Don't you just love it?"

Terrorsaur turned his face away from the gory bits. "But can you be sure his Spark was destroyed?"

Megatron paused the screen. "If it survived the explosion, it wouldn't have the strength to enter the atmosphere - and besides, it would perish on this world without a body. He was such a fool - a brave one, but still a fool, ah well, that's Maximals for you."

He turned back to the screen and un-paused it, and watched whilst drinking a glass of liquid energon. Terrorsaur turned away again.

"Wimp," Megatron teased.

"Sadist." Terrorsaur didn't bother to whisper.

Back at the Axalon....

"While it is good to have Optimus back," Dinobot said, "the Predacons will not be spending their time with sentimentalities."

"Agreed," Rhinox said. "I've compensated the shields where they were breached and altered the frequency. It'll be a long while before they can figure a way through this baby. There are no Preds on the scanners as yet."

"That's good news," Airrazor said.

"Yet being the operative word," Dinobot said. "That will change soon, I assure you."

"I did see Waspy and Terrorsaur," Airrazor said, "but that was a while ago and they were both heading back to their base."

"Somehow I doubt they're gonna stay there," Tigatron said.

"Let me at the bastards..." Cheetor snarled. "I'm gonna get Megatron good for what he did to Optimus..."

"You'll do no such thing, Cheetor," Optimus said, emerging from his rest, entering the control room. "I appreciate your concern, but going hell for leather after Megatron, is only gonna get you hurt."

"Or dead," Rattrap added.

"Exactly," Dinobot said.

Cheetor snarled. "He's gotta pay!"

"In the end revenge only hurts those who seek it," Tigatron said.

"Yes, Cheetor," Optimus Primal said.

"Yeah, Cheetor, Rattrap said, a little worried about his rash friend. "When you're mad is the worst time to duke it out with someone - believe me, I know."

Cheetor growled.

"Hey," Rattrap said, "don't get me wrong, Puss. Agreed Meggy's a bastard. I ain't exactly in love with the shmuck either, but Big Butt ... err Bot has a point."

Optimus Primal almost smiled.

* * *

At the Predacon base ...

Blackarachnia rolled her eyes at Megatron. "Haven't you seen that enough? We should attack the Maximals while they're ... weak..." she said with a smile.

"Ahh, for once I agree with you, My dear. We'll attack when darkness falls."

Back at the Maximal base Optimus told of his ordeal, of how he had survived, now after his sleep, he remembered it in more detail.

"It's great to have you back, Optimus."

Rattrap looked at Cheetor and put his hands on his hips. "How many times are y' gonna say that?"

Cheetor smiled and rubbed his knuckled playfully on Rattrap's head.

"Ehh, kids..."

"Optimus ..." Airrazor's voice broke into the control room. "Preds on their way - the whole kit and caboodle!"

"That's just Prime ...."

"I sure missed that..." Cheetor smiled. "Let's go kick Pred butt!"

"Wait," Optimus said. "I have an idea."

The Maximals listened to Optimus' plan while preparing to defend their base.

All bar Optimus met the Predacons outside.

"Surrender Maximals!" Megatron bellowed, "and I just might be nice..."

"That'd be the day," Airrazor scoffed.

Cheetor stuck his middle finger up.

"Surrender?!" Rattrap exclaimed. "I got a better idea - Why don't ya kiss my furry butt!"

"Insolent vermin!" Megatron growled, blasting in his direction.

Rattrap leapt out of the way. "Heh! Missed me!" He put his thumb to his nose, wiggled his fingers, then was blasted by Scorponok.

"But I didn't miss!"

"Keep your mind focused!" Rhinox demanded, blasting Scorponok.

"Uh, yeah..." Rattrap agreed, rubbing his furry butt.

Dinobot pulled him out of the way as Megatron blasted at him again. The velociraptor snorted in disdain.

"Don't say it," Rattrap said. "Eh, I feel the same way about you."

"Ohh, I bet you're missing your beloved leader... yeeess..." Megatron put on a mock sympathetic voice. "Well that's Just ... Prime..." He laughed. "Now surrender, before things turn .... ugly..."

"Not on your scaly ass!" Cheetor hissed, blasting.

"Ahh ... another feisty one..." He blasted the spotted cat. "This is fun, yeeesss... Now surrender!"

Rhinox fired up his guns and blasted Megatron. "Take that as a no."

The Predacons and Maximals tore into each other.

Airrazor socked Scorponok, then blasted Waspinator, who crashed into the ground.

"Aww... Waspinator have headache?" she asked sarcastically. "Poor Waspinator..."

Waspinator just groaned.

Terrorsaur looked at Airrazor and sighed. "I really hate to do this, but-" he blasted her. "Sorry, babe."

"Ohh ... what for?..." she groaned.

"That I had to shoot someone as pretty as you."

"Flattered." She was a little in fact, but wasn't going to let him know that - she was just grateful he didn't take advantage of her and blast her again.

Blackarachnia shot Rattrap and kicked him to the ground, then blasted him in the back when he tried to stand.

"You're some ... piece of work... ya know that..." He tried not to wince from the blast pain.

She smiled. "Flattery won't get you anywhere, but thanks for the compliment." She pointed her blaster at his head.

"Oh, slag ... I'm gonna die..."

"Ooh, rats are smart..."

Rattrap shut his eyes and heard a blast. "Silicon heaven, I hope ... here I come!"

"Hold that thought," came Tigatron's voice.

Rattrap opened his eyes and saw Blackarachnia sprawled about ten meters away, looking very out of it indeed.

"Phew. Thanks buddy."

"Pardon the cliché, but that's what friends are for."

Rattrap stood and they both began to blast away at the Predacons.

Rhinox took out Inferno, while Rattrap and Tigatron blasted Waspinator and Scorponok.

"Enough of this!" Megatron roared, blasting both Tigatron and Rattrap. He dodged bullets from Rhinox, fired, obliterating both the Maximal's big guns. Rhinox staggered backward and Megatron blasted him twice. The large Maximal fell.

Megatron smiled. "A valiant, but futile effort, Maximals. You're no cowards, I grant you that, but you should've known we Predacons would triumph."

"Oh yeah?..." Cheetor snarled, blasting at Megatron.

The Predacon Leader swerved, the blast hitting a large rock. Megatron blasted at Cheetor, but the cat leapt out of the way, dodging further blasts. "Cheetor, Maximize!" He transformed and blasted Megatron. The Predacon snarled, and blasted Cheetor's gun, then shot the unarmed Maximal in the chest. Cheetor glared at him and snarled. "You deserve to die for what you did to Optimus, you fuckin' bastard..."

"Ooh, language ... what do they teach children these days..." Megatron aimed his gun at Cheetor's head.

The young Maximal's eyes and mouth went wide, and Cheetor realised what his friends had told him about revenge was right. Megatron laughed as he fired.

A missile collided with the blast and they both annihilated each other.

"What the..." Megatron spun around.

"Hi, darling. Miss me?"

The Predacon Leader stared. "But you ... I saw you ... blow to pieces..."

"Don't remind me."

"Fuck." Megatron cussed.

Optimus released another of his missiles, hitting Megatron square in the chest. The Predacon Leader was thrown backwards. Optimus blasted him in his stomach. Megatron gasped in pain. Optimus blasted him again. Megatron slid backwards until his back collided painfully with a cliff. Optimus blasted the rocks above, trapping him. The Predacon Leader tried to pull himself out, but found he could not.

"Oh, I assure you, the rocks are very secure."

Megatron looked uneasily at Optimus, then gave him a dirty look.

"How did you survive?" he spat angrily.

Optimus gave him a very brief account. "And thanks to my friends devoted efforts, they brought me back."

"Spare me your sentimental Maximal prattle," Megatron spat.

Optimus blasted him in the chest. "Not so cocky now, are you?" Primal gave a smile and blasted him again.

Megatron looked uneasily at his arch enemy.

A few moments passed.

"You haven't got what it takes, Primal, have you? Noooo."

Optimus blasted him again.

"Ohh, I may not torture you and laugh in your face in your dying moments..."

"You've never killed anyone before, have you?" Megatron said, his tome teasing.

"No. But that won't stop me if I have to."

"You're a wimp, Primal."

"Just because I don't believe in killing? I'm a Maximal, Megatron, and proud of it."

"Hmph.." Megatron grunted. "So - take your revenge ... come on, Primal ... make know what it felt like... you know you want to ...."

"I do? I hate you for what you did - for what you have done by starting this war again, but quite frankly you're not worth my time. There are many more important things in my life and you're not one of them."

Megatron felt insulted. Optimus turned away, then turned back around.

"Oh, by the way, Megatron, all that stuff I said about not wanting to kill you," Primal's voice became deathly cold. "I lied--"

He levelled a missile at Megatron's head.

"Optimus, No!" Rhinox exclaimed, eyes wide. "I know you're angry, but this isn't-"

"Shut up, Rhinox!..."

"Optimus," Rhinox came to him, "you can't abandon the Maximal Code just for revenge. It's-"

"Get out of my way!" Primal bashed Rhinox away and turned to Megatron, growled and bore his teeth. He once again levelled the missile at his enemy's head.

Megatron's eyes grew wide and his mouth dropped open. "No! You can't!"

Primal growled. "Do you think what you did to me would go avenged?!" he yelled, looking dangerously malevolent.

"B... but you can't mean to ..."

"Shut up! You deserve to die, you worthless son of a bitch!"

Megatron shook his head, terrified. "No ... No .... We can work something out ... please, Optimus..."

Optimus Primal laughed. "Pathetic..." He released the missile.

"No..ooh..." Megatron whispered tense with fear. His eyes widened in terror and his mouth quivered. He swallowed, his throat tense, knowing he couldn't escape. He stared at the missile coming right for his head. It burned into his eyes and his stomach twisted into an uncomfortable painful knot.

"Queen!" Inferno yelled.

The missile impacted - just above Megatron's head.

Optimus Primal glared at him. "Now you know what it felt like..." and he turned away.

Inferno scurried to Megatron.

"Are you all right, Highness?"

Megatron was still in a daze. Inferno helped him out of the rocks. Megatron allowed himself a few moments to compose himself and catch his breath. He felt angry at falling for the bluff, and watched Optimus Primal attending to his friends and felt a glimmer of respect for him. It was some bluff.

The Maximals attended to their own, while the Predacons attended to theirs. Both sides were low on energy now and had to return to their respective bases.

Now well into the night, the Maximals began to retreat to the Axalon. Optimus saw Inferno carrying a wounded Megatron.

"Not the usual Predacon trait," he said to himself. "But it's good to know they're capable of some compassion at least."

"News to me," Dinobot growled.

"Yeah, it would be," Rattrap said.

Dinobot growled. "Vermin."

"What would you know, Tooth Fairy?"

"Ahh gotta love 'em," Rhinox said with a smile. He looked at Optimus. "You got Megatron good."

He smiled. "I did, didn't I? Thanks for playin' along. You made it look really good. Hope I didn't hit you too hard."

"Nah. Besides - it was worth it."

They both smiled.

"Race ya back, Stripes?" Cheetor challenged.

"You're on, Spots." Tigatron smiled, then transformed and stretched.

In a moment they were off.

Cheetor barley beat Tigatron, and then the two play fought.

The other Maximals continued the short walk, enjoying the peace - while it lasted.

The Maximals entered the base, bar Airrazor who circled above, silhouetted against the moonlit sky, and Tigatron who took off into the wilds, after saying his farewells.

Optimus Primal too stayed outside for a while and absorbed his surroundings He'd come so close to ceasing to exist, it shocked him to the core, and made him appreciate the gift of life even more, even Megatron's - and it taught him that things he took for granted were very special to him and he realised how much he appreciated this planet.

He felt deep inside that they would find their beloved home planet Cybertron, and someday at last, the Maximals and Predacons would forge an everlasting peace.

Optimus looked up to the twinkling stars and saw a shooting star streak briefly across the night sky, wove his hands together and made a wish.

 

*

Back to Beast Wars/Machines Fanfic Page

 

Back to Transformers Page