Disclaimers:  Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

 I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

 Summary:  The Decepticons put Optimus Prime's compassion to the test.  (Recently revised)

 Rating - PG 

~~~~~~

 

 HERE KITTY, KITTY ...

 

 Megatron and Starscream stood in the main control room, arguing as usual.

  "It will work," Starscream assured.

  "No, it won't!"

  "Of course it will you fool!"

  "Watch your tone, Starscream," Megatron glowered, but he refused to take the jet's bait, and paused before continuing.  "I refuse to sacrifice any of my Decepticons."

  "Your Decepticons?  Sweet Primus, you think you own all of us don’t you?" Starscream snorted.

  "Unless of course you're willing to take on the mission?" Megatron gave him a sly smile.

  "Naturally, I would, of course, but you're always goin on and on and on about what a bad actor I am."

  "How true - but I'm telling you, Starscream, it won't work."

  "And I'm telling you it will.  Prime's such a compassionate, sentimental softie – look at him.”  Starscream pointed to the monitor, showing Optimus Prime kneeling down and gently stroking a wounded black panther.

 

  "I'll take you to Ratchet," he said.  "He'll have you up and running in no time.  He's well equipped to repair biological life forms now, you know."

 

  "Oh, he's an evil bastard all right," Starscream smiled.  "Don’t you agree?"

Megatron ignored the obvious sarcasm.  "That's not the point," he snarled.  "Yes, he's a compassionate fool and all the rest of it, but not toward Decepticons."

  "Ooh, I wonder why that would be?" Starscream smirked.  "But if we-"

  "We're his arch enemies for Primus' sake!"

  "Like I don’t know that.  But I know Prime.  He won't kill - not unless he absolutely has to."

  "I seriously doubt he'd stroke and talk to a wounded Decepticon and carry him off to Ratchet - A final blast or if he’s lucky a prison cell.”

  "If we play our cards right, as the humans say - pretend to be helpless, dying and whatnot - he'll have to respond.  He wouldn't even let one of us die.  That way we'd have a perfect spy."

  "Still, I’m not convinced."

  "It's better than the plan you had to capture and bug that human girl, Carly.  She escaped from right under your nose, didn't she?  Not bad for a human..."

Megatron grunted, although a small part of him respected, even admired Starscream.  Despite the jet's lack of courage when the universe was against him, Starscream was the only Decepticon who had the innards to stand up to him on a regular basis, and test him.  Megatron knew it was good exercise for him as a leader to keep him on his toes, but wished he wouldn't be so damned annoying!

  "All right, Starscream.  I'll prove it to you – that Prime’s not nearly as altruistic as he seems."

Starscream folded his arms. "This should be interesting.  So. Prove - Leader."

Megatron grunted.  "Come with me.  Now."

Starscream tried to hide his nervousness and Megatron smiled inwardly.

 

The Decepticon Leader entered the Creation Room and switched on the computer and machinery.

  "What are you doing?" Starscream asked, desperately trying to keep the anxiety out of his voice.

  "You'll see."

Great.

 

After about ten minutes, Megatron reached into the machine and pulled out a little black creature.

Phew.  Starscream looked at it.  "A kitten-bot.  How cute." Sarcasm present as always.  He roughly picked up the robotic animal by the scruff of the neck.  The animal hissed, and growled. 

  "You don't exactly have a way with animals," Megatron said.

Starscream ignored him, examined it, then handed it back to Megatron.

  "I'm going to send it to Autobot Headquarters," Megatron announced.

  "It's got our insignia on each side.  They'll think it's some sort of spy device the second they see it."

  "Some spy device.  We may as well waltz in there ourselves singing ‘we’re coming to blast you, ha ha...ha ha..."

  “It’s not a spy device, Starscream.”

  "It's jam packed with explosives then?"

  "No.  It's just a kitten-bot.  Pure and simple."

  “So?  Are we going to kill the Autobots with sickening cuteness?”

The robotic kitten meowed, Megatron stroked it and it began to purr.  "See - nothing malevolent about the little kitty at all - so let's just see how nicely Prime treats it.  When he sees the insignias, he’ll probably just stomp on the thing or crush it with his bare hands.  We’ll monitor him through the mini camera Laserbeak placed on him yesterday night.  The kitty’s programmed to seek out Prime."

The robo-kitten purred and rubbed its head against Megatron's hand.

  "I think it likes you."

The Decepticon leader grunted.

  "So," Starscream said, "let the vicious monster loose."

Megatron wondered when Starscream would run out of sarcastic comments - probably never.

He placed the kitten-bot in the ocean chute.

 

The robotic feline flew high to avoid sight and detection, and Teletraan's Sky Spy devices.  It landed without incident.  Once inside Autobot Headquarters, the kitten stayed hidden in the grooves and shadows of the edge of the corridor to avoid being seen and stopped whenever it detected movement.  The black cat found its way to Optimus Prime's quarters and entered when Ironhide went in to talk to him.  The cat walked in the dimly lit quarters to the bottom of Optimus' resting ledge, then  patiently lay and waited.

  "You okay, Prahme?" the older Autobot asked.

  "Yes, Ironhide.  I'm just tired."

  "Ah'm not surprahsed.  You've overexerted yourself this past week."

Prime nodded.  "Leader's prerogative.”

Ironhide smiled.

  "But I'm paying for it now," Optimus added.  "Is there anything I need to do?"

  "Yahys.  And it’s important.”

Optimus started to rise.  Gently Ironhide pushed him back down.

  "Yer need to rest," Ironhide said.  "As long as y' need."

  "I'm not sure I can.  There's a lot that needs doing. The patrol's findings, reports ... merging the data files ... And are Carly and Spike talking to each other?"

  "Not yet."

  "That too.  I can't rest, Ironhide.  There's-"

  "Yes ya can, and if ya don't I'll git Ratchit onta ye."

Optimus sighed and chuckled softly.

  "There's no major crahsis happenin' the ‘Cons’re layin low and ye need to rest.  Ya need your beauty sleep."

  "So I can be ready for the next major crisis?"

Ironhide smiled.  "Somethin' lahke that and besahdes, you need some time for yerself.  You’re not leavin’ these quarters until y’ve laid up some.”

Prime smiled back.  "Yes, Sir."

  “And don’t let me catch ye up and about either.”

Prime chuckled softly as Ironhide left him to rest.

 

A full ten minutes passed before the kitten stirred.  Sure that it would receive no further interruptions, the small robotic animal leapt up onto the bed, gracefully, and slowly walked around Optimus' sleeping form, then climbed onto him and walked upon his body.

 

Optimus stirred as he felt something.  He was too tired to open his eyes and sit up, and three quarters asleep he just dismissed it.  The kitten climbed onto his shin.  Optimus became half awake now, feeling as though something was on him.  As he began to close his optics again, he felt it move again - this time he knew something was there.  He sat bolt upright, opened his eyes wide, saw a black creature on his leg, grabbed it. The kitten-bot meowed.  Optimus looked puzzled at first, as he examined it. He then saw the Decepticon insignias on either side of it and jerked.  The cat bot meowed twice more.  Optimus loosened his grip a little and examined it once more.  The animal did not hiss, try to escape, bite or scratch him.  The kitten wriggled out of his hand and flopped onto the bed Optimus tried to catch it, but it leapt away.  He was about to try again, when to his surprise, the cat bot walked toward him.  Optimus picked it up, eyed it suspiciously, surprised it hadn't tried to escape or attack.  He set the kitten down and watched it closely for a few moments.  It chased its tail, licked itself, and curiously pawed Optimus' hand.  Optimus lifted his hand.  The kitten sniffed it, pawed it, then licked it and rubbed its head against it.  Prime looked even more surprised and curios and instinctively began to stroke it.  The kitten-bot began to rub its head against Optimus' hand again and purr.  Prime picked it up and continued to stroke it gently.  The kitten's head bobbed up and down and the purring grew louder.  Optimus couldn't help smiling as he continued to stroke the robotic animal.

  "Why would the Decepticons send me a kitten-bot?" he wondered aloud, then he spoke to it.  "I'm sorry I have to do this to you, but ..."

As tired as he was, he stood, picked up the cat and took it to Ironhide and Red Alert.

 

  “What’re you doin’ out of bed...” Ironhide stood, demanding an answer.

Optimus held up the black cat.  "I want you two to thoroughly analyse this kitten-bot."

  "Come on, it's gotta be a trick, Prahme.  It's 'prolly packed with spy stuff, explosives or some other crap."

  "Agreed," Red Alert stated firm.

  "If it's a Decepticon spy bot, why would they blatantly display their insignia's on it?  It doesn't make sense."

Both Ironhide and Red Alert looked thoughtful.

  "You've got a point," Optimus," Red Alert said, "but this is," he indicated the kitten-bot, "clearly a Decepticon trick.  Perhaps it malfunctioned and lost itself, to something to that effect.  And Megatron would not be so cocky or stupid to send us something so obvious.  Perhaps it is meant for us to let our guard down...”

  "I understand your concerns, but you’re overanalysing, Red.  Nevertheless I want the kitten-bot fully analysed."

  "Prime," Red said, hesitating, looking at the kitten playing with a repair rod on the table, "I can see you don't want to have to face the possibility that we may have to destroy the creature.  Perhaps it is programmed to act placid at first, before it strikes, or something more sinister. It looks harmless enough, but the Decepticons wouldn't send us a harmless kitten as a present, now would they?”

  "I guess not ... and Megatron’s never remembered my birthday before...”

Both Red and Ironhide smiled.

  “But I’ve a feeling about his... I still want you and Ironhide to carry out a full scale analysis.  Even if he is carrying spy or explosive devices, we may be able to remove it from him and deactivate them and if he has a delayed attack program, we may be able to deactivate it."

Ironhide smiled and nodded.  "All right - but if there is and we can't deactivate it, then ..."

  "I know," Optimus said, his voice saddened as he stroked the kitten-bot's cheek and scratched its chin.  He handed the black cat to Ironhide who, in respect for his leader took the kitten gently, although eyed it suspiciously, then placed the little creature down on the table, held his paws down with tiny energon bands.  This, the kitten did not like at all and tried to struggle free and bite the binds. Ironhide began the scan.

 

  "Nothin' so far," Ironhide announced after a full fifteen minutes.  "Proceedin' with level two."

Optimus nodded, sat down and started mapping the results on the electronic pad as Ironhide proceeded with the testing.

 

Finally they passed level four.

  "Still nothin'..." Ironhide said, surprised. 

  "It was programmed to come here and to seek you out, Optimus, but other than that, nothing," Red Alert said, clearly confused, all unaware they were being watched by Megatron and Starscream by an almost invisible camera magnetically attached to Optimus' shoulder.

  "Now to proceed with the final test," Red Alert announced, as he performed what other Autobots had affectionately nicknamed 'The R. A. (Red Alert) I. S. (I Spy) test' - nothing, absolutely nothing escaped that.

  "It's clean..." Red was clearly astounded.  "There's absolutely nothing malevolent about the kitten-bot."  He freed the creature.

  "But I am still suspicious.  Why would Megatron send it to you?"

Red Alert voiced Optimus' very thought. 

  "Perhaps he wanted to lower our guard ... or to prove something?"

  "Prove what?" Red demanded.

  "I have no idea ...” Gently Optimus removed the Decepticon symbols from the kitten.

  "That's better," he said.  He handed the purple insignias to Ironhide.  "Keep these, they may come in handy."

 

At the other end, Starscream watched with Megatron. "Devious, Optimus,” the Jet said. “I like it..."

 

  “But as for now” Optimus said, Kitty needs a name." He paused and turned to the others. "... You know it's Cybertronian tradition ... and respectful to name your first kitten-bot after the one who gave it to you ... and I'm not one to break with tradition."

  "What??!!" Ironhide exclaimed.

 

Megatron stared at the screen.

 

Ironhide stared at Optimus.  "Sweet Prahmus!! You're not gonna call 'im-"

Optimus smiled.  "His name’s Meggie.”

Both Ironhide and Red Alert could not help but laugh.  Optimus smiled.  Red was too often too serious and it was good to see him loosen up. Optimus finished his report on the kitten, and the access pad slipped off the desk and onto the floor.  Prime reached down to pick it up and the kitten-bot started playing with and biting one of his blue antennae.  Prime chuckled.  "Hey ... that tickles...."

He smiled, picked up Meggie, began to stroke him and the kitten immediately started to lick his fingers and purr loudly.  Optimus stroked him under the chin. 

  “You big softie,” Ironhide said shaking his head.  “You better you’re goin’ straight back to bed after this.”

  “Trust me, Ironhide. I am.  Just give Meggie a bowl of Energon milk, will you?”

  “Prahme ... are you sure about this?”

  "Yes.  He followed me home, Ironhide and I'm keeping him."

 

Starscream smiled slyly, and turned to Megatron staring at blankly at the screen.

   "So you thought he'd destroy it, eh...." Screamers said.  He put his hand on Megatron's shoulder. "Oh, Megatron, please, please, please ... can you ever forgive me?  You were right all along as you always are ... Optimus Prime is so horrible and cruel ... I've never seen anyone so ruthless ... Did you see how he crushed it beneath his foot until it screamed, then tore its limbs off, boiled it alive and revelled in sucking out its innards!  Why he's even more merciless than my leader.  Maybe we should offer him a job."

  "Shut up..." Megatron snarled, fuming as he flung Starscream against a wall.

Despite the bruising pain, Starscream grinned - he loved to be right ...

  "If you so much as dare say ‘I told you so...’ " Megatron snarled.

  "Why state the obvious?"

Megatron glowered and glared at the Seeker.

  “So how about you, Starscream?  Do you think Optimus is so sweet and innocent that if you rocked up in his quarters in the middle of the night, he’d give you a bowl of Energon milk, stroke you and play with you? More likely you’d be terrified that he’d grab his rifle and blow your innards out.”

   “You know, Megatron... If Optimus Prime stroked and played with me in his quarters, I’d be more terrified of what Elita One would do.”

The Decepticon Leader scoffed.  “You’re disgusting.”

Starscream smiled.  “I do try ... Now, if you don’t mind, I’m going to bed.  Proving you wrong was so worth it, but I’m going to take Ironhide’s advice and get my beauty sleep.”

Megatron grunted.  “You’re going to need it.”

Starscream made a face. 

  “Good night, Starscream.  Don’t let the kitten-bot bite.”

  “By the way, Leader ... You could do with some shut-optic too.”

  “I’ve got some things to discuss with Soundwave, but believe me, my resting ledge will not be long without an occupant.”

  “Good night, Meggie.”

Starscream smirked, flung himself around the door, narrowly missing being hit by a hurling control pad, shattering against the wall.

 

Despite himself, Megatron chuckled. Having to nurse his bruised ego back into shape, being proved wrong, especially by Starscream, he found himself thinking of Optimus.  He couldn't help but feel a little more respect for his arch nemesis.  He'd often wondered what drove the Autobots ... What was it about love and compassion? Megatron had believed these to be weaknesses.  Optimus saw them as strengths.  How could both be right?  Megatron wondered what Optimus Prime would do if he had no other choice but to kill, and couldn't help feel a little pity for him.  He had no doubt his arch enemy would take what he considered to be the best course of action.  It seemed difficult - two strongly opposed sides, both fighting for what they believed was right - only time would tell which one, or if even both would prevail.

 

Megatron switched off the computer. It would alert him of any major developments at Autobot headquarters, for as long as the camera remained operative and undetected, but for now he decided to seek Soundwave's advice and friendship.

 

*

  Back to Autobot & Decepticon Fanfic Page

 

Back to Transformers Page