Disclaimers:  Knight Rider was created by Glen A. Larson

 

No monetary profit is being made by this fanfic

 

Summary:  Kitt and Titania meet again and a nasty surprise is in store for them.

 

Author's note:  This is kind of an AU story where the events in K.I.T.T. VS K.A.R.R did not occur.

 

Sequel to K.I.T.T.'S KNIGHT

 

 

Rating PG

 

~~~~~~~~

 

 

K.A.R.R. VS K.I.T.T.

 

 

  "I want to become human again," KITT said.

  "Kitt are you sure that's wise?" Devon said.

  "Ya, Kitt the last time you were human you almost got yourself killed," Michael said.

  "It was my choice, Michael, but we've completed our last mission and it looks like nothing has come up on the horizon.  Just for a while, only a week or so. Titania's coming for a visit and I wanted to be with her."

  "Oh so *that's* the reason." Michael said with a twinkle in his eye.

Miles smiled.  "You're really in love with her aren't you, Kitt?"

  "Head over wheels."

Michael smiled.  "I know what that feels like."

 

 

*   *   *

 

  "Kitt!" Titania exclaimed happily.

He smiled and placed his arms around her.

  "You're human again.  How did this happen?"

  "I asked them to make me human, just for a while … Just so I could hold you."

  "Ohh, Kitt, you're so sweet…"

Titania embraced him again and the two shared a long kiss.

 

 

            *    *    *

 

For the longest time, he had bided his time, now it was time to strike.  The purest form of jealousy, anger and hatred burning like a raging fire within him.  When his systems had given him enough strength, he had turbo boosted out of the sand and broke himself free.

 

KARR had been found by a young man, John and pretended to be remote controlled.  He had the young boy steal parts he needed and install them. He also had him spy on FLAG.

 

 "You will be handsomely rewarded,"  KARR said.

  "Thank you," John said.

KARR had no intention of rewarding the boy and if it was possible the Trans-Am became more jealous, angry and hateful at what he had heard.

  "So Kitt's in love, eh," he said to himself.  "Not for long."

 

 

            *   *   *

 

Titania and KITT had gone to the movies, played at the beach, and of course kissed and held each other like there were no more tomorrows.  KARR scanned them from a distance.

  "I see it but I don’t believe it," he said to himself, scanning KITT's human form, growing more hateful.  "This should be a cinch…"

But KARR decided to bide his time for now and left KITT to his love.

 

Titania invited KITT into her new home.

  "It's really lovely," KITT said.  "First time I've actually been into a house before, without crashing through it that is."

The lady laughed.  "Are you hungry?"

  "Come to think of it, affirmative."

  "I'll fix you a salad sandwich."

  "Thank you."

  "In the meantime make yourself at home."

Out of her kitchen window Titania saw a black Trans-Am just like KITT.  She didn't know why, but it gave her an eerie feeling.  She dismissed it as being so used to KITT, seeing a car that looked exactly like him she expected it to be alive.  But it wasn't - was it?  She put the thought out of her mind and made KITT's sandwich.  She dismissed the thought of telling KITT about the car, feeling he would just dismiss her misgivings.

  "Delicious," KITT said.

  "Thank you.  Oh, this is for you."  She picked up a crystal.

  "It's called obsidian," she said.  "You can keep it near your dash.  It's for removing disorders from the body and divination.  Thought it might help you and Michael on your missions."

  "And it's basic black too," KITT said, holding the shiny object.  "Thank you."  He kissed her cheek.  "You're so thoughtful.  I shall treasure it."

 

Outside KARR bided his time.

 

            *   *   *

 

After dinner, KITT and Titania returned to FLAG HQ, happy and laughing.

  "I didn't think I could eat a six course meal," KITT said placing his hand over his stomach.

  "And I thought you had low fuel consumption."

KITT laughed and kissed her.

  "To tell you the truth I didn't think I’d finish it either, but that Belgian chocolate mousse was to die for."

  "You're telling me," KITT said with a smile, but it wasn't as sweet as you."

  "Aww, Kitt you're getting mushy."

  "I know," and he placed his arms around her.

 

KARR waited in the shadows.  "To die for," he said, softly into the night.  "Sooner than you think, Kitt…"

 

Upon their return, the happy couple were greeted by Michael, Devon and Bonnie.

  "Have a good time?" Michael asked.

  "Did we ever," KITT said, holding his love.

Knight was heartened that KITT could show his emotions so freely, now he was human.

 

KITT and Titania slept together that night, but they did not copulate, though much kissing and touching ensued.

  "I now know what Heaven is like," KITT said.  "Thank you for showing me."

  "Ohh Kitt," Titania said.  "You're so beautiful."

  "As are you, My Love."

 

 

  "I do not believe this," KARR hissed quietly outside, listening in through his long range scanners and audio amplifier.  "He really does love her."  Hatred and jealousy burned inside the sleek black Pontiac.  So much so that he thought he would burst.

 

            *   *   *

 

KITT and Titania set off the following morning, planning to spend the day together, shopping, strolling and just being together.  In a way Michael envied their love and hoped that he found someone that special.

 

KARR decided to make his move and followed the happy couple in silent mode.

 

  "That car over there looks a lot like you," Titania said, pointing. She was sure it was the same Pontiac that she had seen outside her kitchen window.

 KITT looked.  "So it does.  It's the same Trans-Am model, " he said.  "But I doubt it has my charming personality."

 

Across the street, KARR gave a grunt.  KITT and Titania began to walk.  In silent mode, the black Pontiac followed.  KITT had a funny feeling, but dismissed it.  KARR picked up speed. Anyone who knew him would be able to tell he was grinning from one side of his scanner to the other.

 

He caught up to them.  Titania turned around, astonished to see the Pontiac right behind them.  She looked at it, puzzled and felt uncomfortable.  KITT felt uncomfortable and he slowly turned.

  "So we meet again, Kitt …"

  "Karr …" Kitt swallowed.  "How did you …"

  "That's beside the point. The fact is I did."

  "But we saw you explode."

  "You saw my engine explode, but as you can see I'm perfectly fine now, thank you for asking.  When my systems finally sorted themselves out, I managed to free myself from tonnes of sand and with the help of a human named John, I acquired the parts I needed."

  "What did you do to him?" KITT asked, worried.

  "My my, Kitt always so concerned about these pathetic humans.  If you must know he's fine, though rather miffed that he didn't get the reward I promised."

  "That's just like you, Karr."  Kitt said, kept Titania behind him.  He had told her about KARR previously and she was worried for her love.

  "Kitt, you're being very rude," KARR said.  "You haven't introduced me to your girlfriend."

  "If you must know, her name is Titania Berry.  And, Karr, you don't seem in the slightest bit curious as to how I-"

  "Became human?  Let us just say John was also an excellent spy and I've been watching you two these last few days.  Enough pleasantries … Now to do what I came here to do."

  "Titania, run!" Kitt said, urgently.

  "No, Kitt I want to stay with you."

  "Run," Kitt urged.

Titania shook her head.  "No, Kitt I can't leave you."

  "Titania, please, I don't want you to get hurt."

  "Ohh how *touching*," KARR drawled.

  "Run," Kitt urged.  "Please."

Seeing the look in Kitt's eyes, Titania hated to betray that, so she ran.

  "Run Titania!  Run!"  KARR called after her.

  "Shut up, Karr," Kitt spat.  "And leave her alone."

  "And who's going to stop me?  You?"

KITT thumped his fists down on KARR's hood.

  "Ouch. That hurt," KARR teased.  "Get in."

KARR opened his door.

  "What on *Earth* makes you think I'm going to get inside-"

  "If you don't, I'll run her down and kill her."

KITT went pale as the blood drained from his face.  "You wouldn't."

  "Care to try me?"

KITT didn't as he climbed into KARR's passenger seat, the last place he wanted to be.  KARR caught up to Titania. 

KITT tensed and gripped KARR's seat.  "Please do not harm her."

  "Relax," KARR said.

Kitt was confident that the Prototype did not intend to harm his love - yet.

  "Get in," Karr ordered.

  "Don't listen to him!"  KITT yelled.

 "If you don't, I'll kill him."

KARR opened up his gas vents and began to gas KITT.

  "Karr, please don't!" Titania said desperately.

  "Get inside."

  "Don't …" Kitt said, coughing.

 KARR opened his door.  Titania climbed inside.  To KITT's relief, KARR replaced the gas with oxygen.  He had never felt so grateful to breathe as KARR drove on.

  "Where are you taking us?" KITT asked, not sure he wanted an answer.

KARR hated to admit it to himself, but he had no idea.

 

For hours they drove, out of town, to a deserted road, a desert either side, with patches of sparse vegetation.

   "Let us go, please," Titania said.  "Please, Karr."

  "As you wish," KARR said, ejecting them both. 

Titania landed in the desert, with a hurt foot.  KITT landed on the road, breaking his leg as he landed.  He cried out in pain. 

KARR chuckled.  "Aww did that hurt, KITT?  Yes?  Good.  Now for some fun."

  "Fun for who?" KITT rasped.

KARR raced towards KITT. 

Titania stared in horror.  "NO!"

KARR laughed, then at the last possible moment, turbo boosted over KITT.  KITT became relived, but he realised that was hardly the end of it.  Not by a long shot.  He winced in pain as he tried to move.

  "You can beg if you like," KARR said, rolling toward KITT at an alarming speed.

  "I won't give you the satisfaction," KITT shot back.

KARR repeated the stunt.  On the third pass, swerved around KITT at the last possible moment.  "Enough play," KARR said suddenly.  "Goodbye, Kitt."

  "Karr, please don't …" Titania pleaded, hobbling as fast as she could toward KITT.

  "Stay back," KITT urged as KARR rolled forward.

The black Pontiac picked up speed and showed so signs of slowing, turbo boosting or swerving.  KITT swallowed as KARR bore toward him. 

Is this it?  Is this how it ends?  KITT took a frightened breath.

  "KARR please!" Titania yelled.

There was no more room to turbo boost.  KARR sped toward KITT.  KITT closed his eyes for a split second, then opened them.  He wanted to face his death head on, so to speak.  At the last possible moment, KARR skidded to a very abrupt halt, touching KITT's nose.  He could feel the other's warm human breath upon his bumper. 

Titania finally made it to KITT.  "Ohh Kitt, are you all right?…"

  "I've … seen better days .."

Titania held him gently.  She then stood.  "Don't you ever do that again!" she scalded KARR, smacking his hood as hard as she could, then rubbed her sore hand.  KARR became mildly amused.  He opened his doors.

  "Get in."

  "What makes you think-" Titania started to say.

  "Get in," KARR ordered.  "He has to be taken to a hospital."

  "So you really do care," KITT rasped.

  "Hardly," KARR scoffed.

 

As they drove, Kitt spoke.  "I'm grateful you did, Karr, but why did you stop?"

KARR paused before he replied.  "I have no idea."

But Titania thought he did.

 

She helped KITT into the hospital.  KARR had no idea why, but he waited in the parking lot.  Fortunately KITT's break was not serious.

 

Titania and KITT regaled Devon and Bonnie of their adventure.

  "Karr …" Devon said in alarm.

  "I have just the thing for him…" Bonnie said.  "I've been working on an immobiliser to add to KITT's circuitry."

 "But where do you suppose we find him?" Michael asked.

  "Only the Gods know why," Titania said, "but he's been waiting in the parking lot."

  "Perfect," Devon said, "though I am a tad puzzled as to why he hadn't taken off."

I'm not, Titania thought.

  "Why do you suppose Karr spared my life, Devon when it was well within his power to kill me - easily."

  "Kitt, of that I have no idea.  Perhaps there's a shred of decency in him somewhere after all."

  "Perhaps."

 

At a distance, Bonnie fired the immobiliser at KARR.  He shook slightly as Bonnie, Devon and Michael came into view.

  "I knew I should have taken off while I had the chance," he said with disgust.  "What have you done to me?"

  "I've immobilised you," Bonnie replied.

 

To KARR's embarrassment, he was towed back to FLAG HQ.

Devon stood before the immobilised car, holding a weapon.

  "I'm afraid you're too dangerous to go on, Karr."

   "So you're going to destroy me?  If you expect me to beg, Devon you can shove it up your posh-"

Devon aimed the weapon.  KARR shut up.  KITT came to them.

  "Devon, don't."

  "Kitt, I'm afraid that KARR is-"

  "I know. Let me."

Devon nodded in respect, handing KITT the weapon.

KARR tensed.

  "If you please, Devon, I'd like a few moments with Karr alone."

  "Granted." In respect, the older man left.

   "Kitt you can't do this."

  "Oh, I can't?"

  "I spared you didn't I?"

  "And for that, I will be ever grateful, but Karr, I'm afraid you're just too dangerous."

  "If you destroy me it's likely that you'll be caught in the explosion," KARR said with satisfaction.

  "Who says I'm going to explode you?"

KARR was defeated.  "You mean to vapourise me…"

  "When I fire, your automotive form will be no more."

   "Kitt don't … please…"

  "I thought you weren't going to beg."  Kitt raised the weapon.

  "Kitt," Karr became desperate.  "You want to know the reason I didn't kill you?"

  "I'm listening."

  "It was because …I hate you…"

  "That's nice, but it doesn't tell me why."

  "I hate you because you have everything I always wanted.  A home, people who care for you and … love you.  I have nothing …" Karr found the next words hard to say.  "Nothing except you.  I may despise you, Kitt, but you are all I have … The only family I have so to speak …"

  "I find that rather touching coming from you, Karr, but I'm sorry."

  "Please, KITT … Don't kill me…"

KITT fired.

  "KITT NO!!!" KARR screamed in terror.

A bright flash of light followed.

 

 

KARR vaguely felt conscious.  When his vision cleared, he took in his surroundings.  He saw Bonnie, Devon, Michael, Titania and KITT standing around him.  Then a peculiar sensation hit him as he turned and looked at his hands.  Hands.  His mouth opened in shock.  He looked up at KITT.

  "You … you made me human …"

KARR began to get up.

  "Uh uh," Michael said gently pushing him back down.  "You’re not going anywhere…"

KITT nodded.  "At least this way you're not a danger, KARR - if you're planning on staying on the right side of the law that is."

KARR looked into KITT's eyes.  "You could have killed me."

  "Yes, I could have, very easily, but I chose not to," KITT said.

KARR frowned and placed his hand over his stomach.

  "Are you all right, Karr?"

KARR seemed puzzled by the genuine concern he heard in KITT's voice.

  "I do not know.  I-"

  "Are you feeling any pain?"

KARR shook his head.  "I … I feel strange … as though I'm out of gas."

KITT smiled.  "You're hungry," he said.  "I experienced a similar sensation the first time I needed to eat.  I'll fix you something.  What would you like?"

  "I … I don't know … What would you suggest?  It isn't like I can run on combustible fuel now."

  "I'll make you a salad sandwich."

  "Thanks … whatever that is."

KITT retreated to the kitchen. 

 

Titania regarded KARR.  "Thank you."

  "What for?"

  "Not killing him when you could have - very easily."

  "Don't remind me," KARR said.

Bonnie smiled.  "I think there's some decency in you yet, Karr."

The human gave a smile and a slight grunt.  "Maybe … Gods forbid."

The others smiled.

 

KITT returned with the sandwich, which KARR began to devour like there were no more tomorrows.

  "Easy, Karr, it's not going to turbo boost away."

KARR slowed as he swallowed his last mouthful.  "Thank you.  I believe I like salad sandwiches."

  "Each to his own," Michael said.

  "It wans't like I was going to poison Karr with one of your terrible double cheeseburgers, with cheese that tastes like plastic, I might add, or that monstrosity you call Coca Cola," KITT said with a smile.

Knight chuckled.  As did Devon and Bonnie.

   "What is a cheeseburger?" KARR inquired.

  "Trust me," KITT said.  "You don't wanna know."

 

KITT walked outside with the now human KARR.

  "What will happen to me now?" The question had an almost childlike innocence to it.

  "I do not know, Karr.  That is up to you.  FLAG have arranged for a new identity, as Paul Karr for you, and they have given you a home in which to stay, until you can make your own way.  You are our responsibility after all."

  "I am not an infant, Kitt."

  "No, but in many ways you are very naďve."

  "Do not get me wrong.  I am grateful to FLAG for this … second chance … and to you. I daresay it is more than I deserve, but what will I do? …"

  "What you make of your new life, Karr is up to you.  I do hope you make a good one."

  "Thank you, Kitt."  KARR dearly wanted to try to make something of it.  Part of him hated being human, the other seemed to have been longing for it.

 

 

KITT now back in his automotive form took Titania for a drive.  He activated his headlights on full beam.  There was no moon tonight.

  "What do you suppose will happen to KARR?"

  "That is up to him."

  "I kind of feel sorry for him in a way."

  "As do I, though he has done some questionable things in the past."

  "Let us hope he makes good."

  "I certainly hope he will."

  "The new moon if the time for new beginnings," Titania said.

KITT appeared to smile.   "And I sincerely hope Karr will make a good one."

 

The sleek black Trans-Am sped off into the night, his sheer black body glinting in the light.

 

 

KARR watched KITT and Titania speed off and hoped he met someone as special as her as he began to start his new life.

 

 

 

*

 

Received 2 votes in The 2005 Edwards for "Best Short Story"

                        1 vote for "Best Portrayal of an AI (Original)” – For KARR

                        1 vote for "Best Old Timer Story"

                         2 votes for "Best Action Scene"

                         5 votes for “Best Exchange”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

Back to Knight Rider Page