Disclaimer:  Knight Rider was created by Glen A. Larson.

 

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic.

 

Author's note:  Set a after  “KITT VS KARR.”

 

Summary:   KARR is repaired, and hell bent upon revenge on FLAG, but learns an important lesson.

 

 

Rating PG

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

KNIGHT RIDER

 

 

NO ORDINARY KARR

 

 

Dedicated to Babs, for the inspiration  :)

 

 

 

From a distance, Sid saw the car explode, a blow to his plans, though he did not curse.  Patiently, he waited until all was quiet before venturing onto the sand, wasting no time in retrieving the CPU, behind the bumper, amongst the strewn debris across the sand and he smiled.  He had been sure it was not damaged and he was correct.  Silently, he cursed the Standton boy.  He had been searching for the FLAG Prototype for two years since learning of its existence.  The car’s body was destroyed.  Again he cursed the boy and Michael Knight, but Sid had learnt early in his career that revenge was costly in more ways than one and no matter, the car could be rebuilt and sold to the highest bidder.  Sid’s eerie smile grew when he noticed a blue booklet, labeled E.S.B ... Emergency Schematic Blueprint ...

  “This is going to be easier than I thought ...”

KARR’s CPU blinked, vaguely aware at what was transpiring.   He felt the human’s hand clutch him and felt afraid at first, but judging by the man’s tone, we was soon to become whole again and he would exact his revenge upon FLAG, but for now, he decided to bide his time and go along with the foolish human’s plans.  Patience was a virtue he had learned to appreciate.

Not much else was salvageable, bar KARR’s back license plate.  KARR felt rage rise up in him ... He felt so ... incomplete ... He couldn’t even scan his own vitals.

 

*   *   *

 

Sid’s team of technicians wasted no time in banging KARR together, and he was most pleased with the results.

 

KARR was in turn sold on the black market to the highest bidder and in turn stolen by two low lives.  This amused KARR to no end, and it suited his purposes.  These two fools would be easier to escape than the international terrorists that had bought him.  Not bad for small time thieves, KARR thought.  Goes to show, status isn’t everything.

 

*   *   *

 

Meanwhile, KITT, Michael Knight, Bonnie, Devon and FLAG were blissfully unaware at what had transpired.  Though KARR kept them busy by anonymously informing them of crimes and the like.

 

However, he needed parts, as some of the parts Sid’s men had used, to skimp costs, were inferior.  Inwardly, KARR cursed himself for not realising this earlier.  Greed he did not understand.  Sid had enough money to retire for the rest of his life, why did he need more?   KARR didn’t ponder it, considering it a waste of his energies as Graham fussed about him, however KARR knew this time, it was not because the human cared.  He had learned that the hard way.  Trust no one.   FLAG, Rev, Tony, John, and Eddie ... They had all betrayed him, abandoned him, and he hated them for it.  Graham and his assistant Busman were no different.

 

*   *   *

 

Her father was asleep out the back of the store and Carly had left him be.  He worked hard and he needed his rest.   Carly carefully carried a box of sparkplugs, frowning as she discarded two duds.   The young woman turned prepare for the first morning’s customers, believing this to be just like any other day at the ‘Electrical Emporium.’  But an ordinary day it would be anything but.

 

She looked out as a handsome black car pulled up outside, a few minutes prior to opening time.   Carly walked to the door and opened the store for business.  No sense in keeping customers waiting.  Business had been rather slow of late.

 

Graham and Busman approached the young woman.

  “Excuse me, Miss, but I need parts for my car.  Have you any ...” And he rattled off what he needed.

Carly nodded as she showed the men inside.  KARR watched, curious.

 

The two men went about picking what they needed, impressed to say the least with this place. It had everything from wheel alignments to fluffy dice. Carly assisted them.  They seemed impressed with her knowledge, despite the fact she hadn’t said a word.

 

  “Better not get those,” Busman said, toying with a pair of fluorescent lime dice.  “KARR’ll kill us...”

Graham laughed.  “We just have to keep it happy for now.”

  “Even the trolley’s are great here – solid metal ... no annoying holes ... You know once I bought a Three Musketeers bar and it  fell...”

  “Busman, shut up.”

  “Yes, Boss.”

The two men loaded what they needed plus optional extras, before heading to checkout.

 

Without warning, they grabbed an unsuspecting Carly.  The young woman screamed and thrashed about, terrified, and not understanding what was happening.  All she knew was she was trapped and couldn’t get away.  She screamed for her father, not knowing he had died the night before of a massive heart attack.  She squealed frantically as she was shoved into the back of KARR.

  “Was that really necessary?” KARR asked.  “Kidnapping wasn’t on the agenda.”

  “You want someone to put in all this stuff, right and she knows how,” Graham said.

If he was human, KARR would have nodded.

  “Shop!  Shop!  Shop!” Carly screamed, reaching out in desperation, tears streaming from her eyes.

  “Shut up you crazy bitch!” Graham yelled.

  “She isn’t crazy,” KARR said.

  “Are you developing a soft spot now?”

  “Merely pointing out a fact.  The young woman is autistic.”

  “Great.  How the fuck are we going to fix you now, if this bitch is stupid?” Busman snorted.

KARR almost groaned.  “Autistic humans are often more intelligent,” he said.  “She knew exactly what you wanted, didn’t she?”

  “Well yeah ...”

Carly seemed to have calmed somewhat, but he still sobbed.  “Shop ... Da...dy...”

KARR paused for a moment and scanned the shop and detected the dead human inside.  “We must leave immediately ... To use one of your phrases, ‘let’s get the fuck out of here.’”

  “Now yer talkin’ KARR!”  Busman said, slapping his hand on KARR’s dash.

If KARR had eyes, he would have rolled them as he sped off, a black blur.

 

*   *   *

 

When the four of them were safely inside the hideout, KARR let the two men out of him.  Carly tugged on the handle, but it did not budge.

  “There is no escape,” KARR said.

Curious, Carly cocked her head and peered at his voice box and she smiled and pointed.    “Car talk...”

Graham and Busman turned away as they snickered.

  “Yes, I talk,” KARR said.   “I am KARR.   Knight Automated Roving Robot.”

Carly pointed at herself.   “Car...ly.”

KARR was intrigued.  “KAARLY?”

She giggled.  “No ... C-a-r-l-y.”  She touched KARR’s dash.  “Car ... alive...”

 

The Trans-Am let this interesting human out as she was to begin repairs.

 

*   *   *

 

It never ceased to amaze the two men how intelligent Carly was, despite her slurred speech, and neither of them wanted to admit it.

 

Carly worked away inside KARR like nothing else mattered.

  “I warn you, do not sabotage me.”

The female human looked upset.  “Fix man car.”

  “Yes,”  KARR said.  “Fix me.”

 

 

*   *   *

 

  “He’d been dead since the night before,” Devon said.  “A massive heart failure.  Incredible stress, the poor man.”

  “So no evidence of foul play?” Michael asked.

  “None whatsoever, but his daughter is still missing.”

  “Why would she-“

  “I haven’t the foggiest idea.   They ran the electronics store together like a well oiled machine, I’m told.”

  “Perhaps she was scared,” Bonnie suggested.

  “Why didn’t she call someone?” Michael asked.

  “Carly Andrews is autistic,” Devon said.  “She may not have even realised her father had passed ... But what disturbs me is a black car was seen speeding from the scene at eight this morning.  A black Trans Am, matching Kitt’s specifications exactly.”

  “What?!”

   “I can vouch for KITT,” Bonnie said.  “He was with me last night.”

Michael gave her a mock incredulous look. 

Bonnie slapped his leg.   “I was giving him a check up!”

Devon’s small smile did not last long.

  “Do you think they could have killed him?” Michael asked.

 The older man shook his head.  “Ben Andrews definitely died the previous night.”

  “So why did they take of like that?”

  “Perhaps they saw he body, got scared and took off?”

  “Perhaps,” Devon said, “but I don’t like it.”

  “That makes three of us.” Bonnie said.

  “Four of us,” KITT interjected, rolling toward them.

 

*   *   *

 

  “It can’t be Karr,” Michael said.  “We blew the shit out of him.”

  “Correction, Michael.  Cars do not defecate.  That is a purely biological function, thank goodness.”

  “You know what I mean, Kitt.  Karr go boom.”

  “The less said about your grammar, the better, but yes, Karr was blown to kingdom come.”

  “That’s a myth, Kitt.”

  “What?”

  “Kingdom come.”

  “Oh, you know what I mean, Michael.”

Bonnie chuckled.  “Kitt, when Karr exploded, were you sure his CPU was non functional?”

KITT was silent for a moment.  “I ... I never thought to check... I ... I’m sorry ... I...”

  “Don’t feel sorry for yourself, Kitt.  We all make mistakes, even cars.”

  “Very funny, Michael, but it’s not so funny if that really was Karr.”

  “Yes,” Bonnie said, “there’s no telling what he’s planning.”

  “And this time, if it is Karr,” Michael said.  “When he blows, I’ll make sure, he *blows*.”

 

*    *    *

 

KARR seemed to relax as Carly worked inside him.  Never before had he felt a touch so gentle.

  “Feel ... better?”  Gently, she rubbed his carburetor.

KARR appeared to smile.

  “Yes, that feels better.  Thank you.”

Carly frowned as she saw something in KARR’s engine and began to fiddle with it.

  “What are you doing?” he asked.

  “Bad ... thing...”

In no time, she had rooted it out.

  “A bomb ...” KARR said, quietly.  “We must dispose of it quickly.”

Carly shook her head and tinkered with it, deactivating it.  KARR looked on, amazed.

  “Not ... bad ... now...” she said, indicating the bomb was no longer a threat.

  “Give it to me,” KARR said.  It may be useful.

Carly did as she asked him.  KARR scanned the bomb.

The terrorists mark was on it ... Which meant they were still looking for him ... Or they would have activated it.  KARR realised the young girl had just saved his life.

 

Carly peered inside him and continued to work on him.   She seemed so much more devoted than the FLAG technicians.  The one called Bonnie had potential.  She thought of KITT as more than just a car, why then was he so different?   Why had they abandoned him when all he wanted to do was protect them?

 

Why had Tony and the others used him, and then abandoned him, just like Wilton Knight?   Why had FLAG taken the defensive and try to kill him ... Perhaps they thought he would harm them.  That had not been his prime objective at first.  He just wanted to get away from that awful storage hangar ... Wanted someone to confide in.

  “Karr ... feel ... betta?”

KARR was so lost in his own thoughts, he barely heard her.

 “ Oh? ... Yes, I feel better, Carly, thank you.”

 

  “Carly want something to eat?”

It annoyed KARR how the two men talked to her.  Could they not see that she was more intelligent than both of them put together?

  “Carly hungry?  Carly thirsty?  Does Carly want a shower?”  Busman asked.

She looked at them, annoyed, though she had to deal with many an annoying person in her life.

  “Veg...ies ... Wat...ter...”

  “What?”

  “She wants vegetables and water,” KARR said.  “Do you not listen?”

  “Hey, you, keep that smart motor mouth of yours shut.”

  “I apologise,” KARR lied.  He had to keep these humans on side.  “I was merely trying to help.”

  “Bath ... bubble...”  Carly said.

“A bubble bath ... What do you think this is, the fuckin' Ritz Carlton?”

Carly started to cry.

  “Now ya upset ‘her, Graham ... There’s a bath outside with the old piss pot.”

  “All right ... Let the queen have her bloody bath.  Suppose you want a milk bath, Celopatra?”

   //He knows his myths// KARR thought.  //At least he’s not a total tool.//

Busman lead the girl outside.  “Hurry up, we need ya to fix that car.”

  “Fix ... Good fix ...”

  “Yeah, Good fix ... “  //Stoopid bitch.//

 

Carly ran her bath and used the shampoo for bubbles.  KARR waited patiently as she cleansed herself, before consuming a gluggy vegetable pie and replenishing herself with a large glass of water.  It was clear she did not like the pie and KARR could not blame her.  He would have offered her some premium grade oil, if it would not have killed her.

 

She emerged from the bath, unclothed and called out.

  “Put that on,” KARR said, indicating a pair of workman’s overalls.

Carly looked puzzled.

  “You’ll catch a cold,” KARR said, realising the small woman had no concept of nudity, or what two men would do, finding a naked woman standing before them.   Carly dressed as KARR had asked her to and began to feel tired.

 

She slept for  while, inside KARR.  At first he felt uncomfortable, but he did not find her presence intrusive.  He had grown to hate the feel of a human inside him, but this one was different and he allowed her to sleep for as long as she needed.

 

*   *   *

 

  “So it *was* Karr ...” Devon sat back.    “My worst fears confirmed...”

  “I can work on a new laser,” Bonnie said.   “A wide beam should be more effective.”

  “Each time Karr had returned, he’s been more of a menace,” Devon said.

  “Menace is Karr’s middle name.”

  “If that’s so, Michael,” Kitt said,  “what’s my middle name?”

Knight smiled.  “Trouble.”

  “Beautiful,” Bonnie said.

  “Bonnie, I like that much better.”

  “I thought you would ...” She turned.  “Devon-“

  “Yes, Bonnie, start work on your wide beam laser.”

  “Devon,” KITT said,  “I have been thinking about KARR since our last encounter.  Is there any possible way we can reprogram him?  Or at the very least find out exactly why he malfunctioned?”

  “Kitt, I’m afraid Karr is a danger and he must be destroyed.”

  “I understand the importance, Devon, but on occasion, I have been controlled by another and have become a danger.”

 “That’s different, Kitt,” Michael said.  “You weren’t yourself.”

  “I relaise that, but the danger was very real.  Michael, as I recall, I almost killed you.  But you did not hold a grudge.  In fact none of you did.  You did everything you could to fix me.”

  “I think it’s a bit late for, Karr,” Devon said.

  “Devon, Michael, Bonnie” KITT said slowly, “you all consider me more than just a car don’t you?”

  “Yes, of course.”  Bonnie was the first to answer.

  “Karr is of the same schematics and creator as I.   Perhaps we should try.  I am not saying it will work.  By all means, create the laser as a back up ... But both times, I have felt ... somewhat melancholy about KARR’s destruction.”

  “Kitt, you never said anything...” Devon said, surprised.

  “I thought you would just berate me on how evil he was and what a menace he was... And I agree he must be stopped, but perhaps there’s more to this than meets the eye.”

Devon nodded.  “I understand, Kitt.  Karr is, for want of a better word, your brother, despite his misgivings.  I’m sorry if I seemed insensitive.”

  “Me to, Kitt ...” Gently, Bonnie placed her hand on his hood.

  “You did what you thought best at the time,” KITT said.

  “But how do you propose we ‘talk’ to Karr?” Michael asked.  “We can’t just barge in, where ever he’s hiding and say ‘Hi, Karr.  We’re sorry for blowing the crap out of you... twice ... But we wanna be friends now.’”

  “No, Michael," Kitt said, "that would not be advisable.”

 

*   *   * 

 

Much like Rev and Tony, Graham and Busman used KARR as the getaway car for numerous crimes, and to FLAG’s annoyance, they failed to apprehend the thieves or KARR.

 

The two men kept Carly to fix and maintain KARR, and he found he quite liked her company, the little she would say made perfect sense to him.  He had told her that her shop was all right, as she had been worried about it and he felt he had to tell her about her father.  How was she to know what death was?  Until he had ‘died’ himself... He wasn’t even sure.

  “Your father is not coming back,” KARR said to her, trying to break it as gently as he could.

  “Gone away?”

  “Yes, gone away.  Far away.”

  “Why gone?”

  “Well ... His body was damaged beyond repair ...”

  “Fix?”

  “Some things cannot be fixed.”

Carly seemed to understand.  “Ha...des take care.”

  “Hades?”

  “Father say ... That he go ... one day ... and Hades take ... care...”

  “Oh,” KARR said, accessing his data banks.  “Hades, Lord of the Underworld, Ancient Greece.”

Carly nodded.  “Hades.”

  “Your father was an interesting man,” KARR said.  “Most see Hades as evil.”

  “Hades nice.”

And then KARR realised something.  Perhaps that’s what the others thought he was... Evil.  But why hadn’t they understood?  Why hadn’t Wilton and Devon just listened to him?... and he realised ... Maybe they didn’t understand ... Like Carly, Graham and Busman didn’t understand her, so they ridiculed her ... Why did humans ridicule or destroy what they don’t understand?  It made KARR hate them even more, but what if he were to tell them?  Would FLAG listen?  They didn’t before, he mused, but back then he hadn’t said anything, apart form ask Wilton what he was doing and the old man had lied to him, saying he had to be deactivated for repairs, and KARR hated him for it, but looking back, perhaps Wilton wanted something more for him ... Perhaps he did plan to repair him.  KARR had always thought of the elderly man as his father and cared for him deeply ... But after he was deactivated, KITT came along.   KARR almost growled.   He loathed KITT with a passion.  That car had everything he always wanted.  Friends, a home, freedom.  Love.  And KARR was going to get it.  Friends and a home.  He knew he would have to live without love, but freedom would be his.

 

*   *   *

 

Carly awoke very early one morning, and heard muffled voices and strained herself to hear.

  “This is it, Busman ... If we pull off this gig, we’ll be made... And all we have to do is ditch the girl and Karr.”

  “I think she likes him.”

  “Don’t be disgusting!”

  “So what do we do about the car?  The girl’s easy.”

  “We sell it back to the guys we stole it from.”

  “Have you gone fucking nuts?  They’ll have our balls for breakfast!”

  “I got a plan.  The girl did it.”

Busman smiled.  “Boss, you’re evil.”

Graham grinned.   “I know.”

 

Carly cried silently to herself.  She had not like the two men and did as she was told because she had been afraid that they would hurt her and now she was even more so, but she did not want them to hurt KARR, but how would she tell him without them eavesdropping ... And then she looked up, bright and bubbly.  She had a plan of her own.

 

  “Karr ... Inside...”

He opened his hood.

Carly shook her head and tugged on his door.  KARR shut his hood and opened the door as she climbed inside.   KARR closed his door.

  “You need to check my internal systems?  I ran a self diagnostic and they’re fine.”

  “Not ... fine...”

He had learned to trust her.  The only human he had trusted so deeply, since Wilton Knight.

  “Systems fine ...”

  “But I thought you said-“

  “Men ... not fine ...”

“Tell me something I do not know.”

  “More ... Bad ... Hurt me ... sell you ...”

KARR understood, and some of the air vanished from his tyres.

“Did they say who they wanted to sell me to?”

  “Terror men.”

  “The terrorists ... That’s all I need...  Thank you, Carly.”

  “Car friend...” She hugged his wheel.

KARR did not let on how touched he was.  This woman had just risked her life to save him.  He desperately wanted FLAG to pay for what they had done to him, but what if that put Carly in jeopardy?   What if he was killed again ... For keeps this time...  Was this what the humans called a ‘second chance’?  Though technically it was his third chance.

 

KARR implemented a plan of his own and contacted the terrorists, informing them of Graham and Busman’s theft, though he kept Carly out of it.  He had no desire to endanger her.

 

  “So, Karr, ya ready for the Big Tamale tomorrow?”

  “Yes.  In fact I am looking forward to it.  I am eager to try out Carly’s new modifications.”

  “Yeh... so are we.  Graham’s got something special planned for her.”

  “Oh?  Anything that need concern me?”

  “Nah, let’s just say, by tomorrow night, you won’t need her anymore.”

  “That is good.”

  “Yeh, gettin' tired of the stupid woman.  Carly need this ... Carly need that ...”

  “Yes,” KARR said, “her speech impediment is quite annoying, to say the least but she served her purpose.”

Busman laughed.  “Yeh, she sure did ... But Graham and me got one more purpose in mind.”

  “And what is that?”

  “Curious for a car ain’t’cha? ... Well before we ditch her, let’s just say, she won’t be a virgin anymore... “

  “Oh?  *Oh...*”

  “Yer not gonna tell ‘er are ya?  It’s kinda our going away present.”

  “It is no concern of mine.”

Busman patted KARR.  “That’s a good KARR.”

KARR wanted to kill him, but he had to act quickly.

 

Carly returned with some things she needed to finish the modifications.

  “Stay close to me,” KARR said.   He did not want to alarm her, by telling her what the two men planned.  He doubted the innocent girl knew what ‘rape’ meant.

 

  “I must leave with Carly for some parts,” KARR said.

  “What ya need? I thought ya had everything.”

  “My Alpha Omega Scanner is out of alignment and I need a J Type 27 Nubian.”

  “Oh ...”

Carly smiled at Busman, knowing full well a J Type 27 Nubian was a ship from Star Wars: Episode One and KARR’s scanner was functioning perfectly.  

Alpha Omega - nice touch.

  “Well hurry up.”

  “Back soon ...”

 

*   *   *

 

Neither Graham or Busman knew that they would never see KARR or Carly, or another sunrise again.

 

They had no chance when the international terrorists burst in and when the two men could not tell them KARR’s where abouts, the terrorists open fired and had a plan of their own.

 

*   *   *

 

KARR sped off, intent on getting as far away from the city as possible, not only did he have to avoid FLAG, but the terrorists as well.  He told Carly about FLAG and she wanted to help him.

  “Talk ...”

KARR puled over at the side of the road.  “I don’t know if I can ... Will they listen ... Why did they treat me so badly ...”

Gently Carly stroked his dash.   “KARR sad ... scared ...”

He paused for a while.  “Yes...

“Not be ...”  Softly, she grasped his wheel.

  “Thank you, Carly.”

 

*   *   *

 

  “I got a lead on Karr!” Michael exclaimed.  “A Trans Am was seen speeding South on Green street.”

  “That’s’ wonderful, Michael, but we’ve a new problem.  Apparently, Dark Night, a terrorist organisation have taken an interest in our friend as well.  It so happens two thieves stole KARR from them and they want him back and needless to say, we do not want them to get him.”

  “Do we know where the thieves are?  Can they help us get KARR?”

  “They’re at the morgue,” Bonnie replied, “so short of holding a séance ...”

  “I see.  Well Ouija boards freak me out, so I’ll rely on Kitt.”

  “Glad to hear it, Michael," KITT said, "though contacting the spirit would could prove to be quite an experience.”

  “I’ve finished installing and calibrating the laser.  If you have to use it, you only have one shot ...I’m sorry, but it’s much more powerful than the previous lasers...”

  “You did what you could, Bonnie.  Let’s hope we never have to see Karr again.”

  “If those terrorists get their hands on Karr the results could be disastrous.”

  “I know, Devon, and Bonnie, I know, not a scratch.”

She smiled.  “Be careful you don’t get a scratch either.”

 

*   *   *

 

Knight tagged the terrorists, on KARR’s trail.

 

The Knight Automated Roving Robot desperately tried to lose his pursuants, but they were airborne and even at his fastest, he could not shake them.   KARR used his Micro Jammers, utilising them to crash the enemy craft, though another was soon upon him.

  “I’ll not be your slave,” he hissed, making damn sure he was broadcasting on all their frequencies and the terrorists realised they would never have control of ‘it.’

KARR realised he still had the bomb, activated it and ejected it, decimating another of the terrorists’ jets.  Only one remained.

 

KARR jammed another one of their planes, however the terrorists had a weapon of their own – their own jammer, which they used to immobilise him.

KARR tried to break the hold, but he could not and terror overtook him when he saw a huge laser cannon aimed at him.

  “You must go...” he said to Carly.  “If you stay with me, you’ll be killed.”

  “Not leave ...”

  “You must!”

  “No...”

  “Carly ...” KARR spoke gently.  “I can’t thank you for what you’ve done for me.  You gave me freedom, hope, if only for a little while.  Without you, I would never heave realised there is more to life than revenge.”

  “Karr...”

  “I’m sorry ... I can’t let you die too.”   Gently, he filled himself with harmless gas, causing Carly to lose consciousness, and ejected her, calculating the softest possible landing spot.  This was the only human who understood him, the only one who hadn’t used him and the last thing he wanted to do was allow harm to come to her.

 

And then KARR noticed something else.  Michael Knight and KITT, and another laser, aimed at him.  There was nowhere to run.  Nowhere to hide.   This was it.  What the humans call it, his ‘swan song.’

  “Do it,” KARR said to KITT.

  “Do what?”

  “What you planned to do all along.  Destroy me.  And make sure you get my CPU this time.”

  “Karr?” KITT inquired.

  “Hurry up and kill me.”

  “Michael, has he lost his ... how do you say, marbles?”

Knight managed a smile.  “No, he knows he’s lost.”

“I’d rather you do it than ...them...” He watched the terrorists calibrating their laser as they hovered in their jet ahead.

KITT scanned the area.  “That unconscious woman ... “ He said quietly to Michael.  “who is she ...?”

  “I don’t know ... But she’s out of the blast range.”

  “Bloody just do it!” KARR yelled.  “You want to kill me because you’re my superior.  All I am to you is an experiment that went wrong!”

  “Karr that isn’t true,” KITT said.

  “Then why did you lock me up?”

  “I did no such...”

  “Kitt,” Michael said, “he’s talking about Wilton Knight.”

   “Hurry up and do it!”  KARR screamed.

 

The laser fired and KARR braced himself, sheer terror enveloping him as it hit, slicing through his windshield, ripping through his body and igniting his fuel pump as he exploded.

 

  “KARR!”  Kitt yelled, but there was no time, as the terrorists began to fire at him and Michael.

  “Use your laser ...” It’s the only way we can stop them.”

  “I intend to, Michael ... Though I wish there was another way.”

  “There isn’t, Buddy.”

KITT activated his Micro Jam, unsteadying their craft as he raided is weapon and fired.

The jet exploded in a ball of flame and KITT realised, it was the first time he had been forced to kill and despite the nature of the six terrorists, he did not feel any better.

  “I know how you feel, Buddy,” Knight said.  “Trust me.”

  “Thank you, Michael ...” KITT paused.  “...Karr ... I felt we were getting through to him...“

  “I’m sorry, Kitt.  Perhaps there was something we cold have done, but it’s too late now...”

 

  “KARR!!!!”

Both KITT and Michael were startled by the scream.

 

Carly ran toward the strewn wreckage of the only friend she’d known and began to cry, before she saw something flickering and immediately retrieved it.

 

  “Karr’s CPU!” KITT exclaimed.  “It’s still active!”

Carly ran toward him.

  “Help ... Please ...”

KARR felt himself held by Carly, her hands warm and gentle.  He did not know how severely damaged he was, or that he only had seconds to live. 

  “Give him here,” KITT said, urgently.  “Place him inside my processing unit.”

KARR became afraid, though he could not speak.  Carly hesitated.

  “It’s all right,” KITT said.   “I do not intend to harm him.”

Carly trusted the other car and gently placed KARR’s CPU into him.

 

Panic overtook KARR.  All he knew was that KITT could kill him in an instant.   KITT felt a strange buzzing and then realised KARR was shivering and he tapped into the Prototype’s CPU.

  “Oh for Heaven’s sake, Karr.  I am not going to liquefy you and eat you.  You’re letting your imagination run amok.”

KARR seemed to calm a little.  KITT stabilised KARR’s CPU and ever so gently gave him a small power boost and kept a slow, but constant flow.   Gently he shut down KARR’s consciousness, feeling his ‘brother’ needed a rest and his fear would only complicate the process.

  “Any more power could kill him,” KITT said.

  “Karr safe?”

  “Yes, he’s safe for now.”

  “Thank you, Kitty Cat.”

  “Kitty Cat?”

Carly frowned.  “Karr say-“

  “Just Kitt is fine.”

  “Kitt.”

 

*   *   *

 

  “Kitt, are you sure about this?  I mean what if this is all a ruse?  I mean Karr’s hardly an angel.”

  “I’m well aware of that, Devon, but I feel I was finally getting somewhere with him... and Carly ... She really cares for him.  I don’t believe any one has cared for him quite like she does.”

  “What about Tony, the Rev?”

  “Michael, they used Karr for their own greedy purposes.”

  “John Standton and his girlfriend?”

  “I understand Karr has a lot to learn about compassion, but if he must be deactivated again, let me at least discover the reason for his behavior.”

  “All right, Kitt,” Devon said.   “But I’m not promising anything.”

  “Thank you, Devon, that’s all I ask.”

 

*   *   *  

 

KITT was somewhat relieved when KARR’s CPU had stabilised itself although he could tell the prototype was still afraid.

  “I do not wish to harm you, Karr,” he said.  “I want to help you.”

  “I do not recall you or FLAG having any such agenda the last two times we met.”

  “And I am ashamed of that,” KITT said.  “You were believed to be a danger.”

  “A danger because I have different programming to you.”  KARR’s voice was laced with disgust.

  “Karr ...” KITT began slowly.  “FLAG believed you were a danger ... That’s why you were incarcerated.”

  “A danger to who?”

  “Your program malfunctioned,” he said, not sure how else to explain it.   “Wilton Knight believed you had the potential to harm-“

  “I had no intention to harm anyone, especially Wilton .. He was my ... father...”

  “You don’t understand, do you ... Your programming placed people in jeopardy ...  Wilton had intended to reprogram you, but he didn’t want to damage your personality.  I read through his files.  He said you were like a son to him, as I am.”

  “He ... he said that?”

  “Yes.  And it pained him greatly to deactivate you.”

  “Why did he not tell me why...”

  “He didn’t think you would understand and you didn’t ... Karr, I wish I could change things, but the past has already been written.  I can only offer you my sincere apologies that I did nothing to try and help you.  I am ashamed to say, I didn’t believe you could be rehabilitated ... less counseled and I don’t blame you for your anger toward myself and FLAG.  I’m sorry I ...”

  “I am the one who should apologise.  I see now the folly and immaturity of my actions.”

KITT scanned KARR’s CPU.  Nothing indicated that he spoke anything but the truth and KITT was convinced.

A pause followed.

   “You really care for Carly, don’t you?”

KARR hesitated.  “Is it that obvious?”

  “Only when you inquire about her every five minutes.”

The other Trans-Am chuckled softly.

 

*   *   *

 

  “So you’re sure he’s not a danger?” Devon asked.

  “Absolutely,” KITT replied.   “He was like a hurt child, seemingly being punished for no reason...”

  “I see ...”  Devon sighed.   “It looks like I’m scheduled for an apology.”

 

*   *   * 

 

  “This isn’t easy for me to say,” Devon began.  “I saw you as nothing more than a menace...”

  “And I guess I confirmed those fears ... Both times.”

  “I’m afraid you did ... If I had known...”

  “How could you have?  I was too arrogant to admit my insecurities and too naive to realise I was being used.”

  “I’m sorry too,” Bonnie said.

  “I’m afraid I’m to blame,” Devon said.  “She knew nothing of you, Karr apart from what I told her and I’m afraid I didn’t sing any praises.”

  “Nor did I of FLAG.  So I guess we’re even.  Forgiven?”

  “Forgiven,” Devon said.

 

*   *   *

 

  “There,” Bonnie said.  “All finished.”

  “Did you have to make him look like Kitt again?”

  “Michael, Karr has turned over a new leaf.  I mean the car hasn’t got all my specifications, like Super Pursuit Mode, but I don’t want him to feel that we don’t trust him.”

  “If you say he can be trusted, then I believe you, Kitt, but it’s still kinda eerie.”

 

*   *   *

 

Carly gently carried KARR’s CPU.

  “Where are we going?”

  “Surprise,” she smiled.

  “Oh.”

She carried KARR into the hangar, where she began to tinker with KARR’s new body, gently placing his CPU inside.  Bonnie watched in awe as she worked, this seemingly innocent girl could be a rocket scientist.

 

  “Finish!” Carly exclaimed.

KARR took a moment to come to his senses before he realised he had a new body. 

 

A long pause followed before he spoke.

 

  “Why ... Why have you done this? ... I thank you, but I do not understand...”

  “Karr,” Devon said.  “I was in error.  You were a danger, but I should have realised you were more than just a car, like Kitt, and helped you.  Wilton planned to reactivate you, but he passed six months after he deactivated you ... and I’m afraid, I never gave you a second thought until ... Rev and Tony stole you, for that I am sorry.”

  “As am I, Devon and for my anger toward Wilton, knowing no that he did not abandon me.”

Carly gently placed her hand upon KARR’s hood.  “Carly ...  stay with Karr.”

  “Thank you...”

Bonnie wiped a tear from her cheek.  Carly loved KARR just as much as she loved KITT.

  “She’ll take good care of you,” Bonnie promised.  “But if you ever need parts, you know where to find me.”

KARR appeared to smile.  “And Kitt, no hard feelings, ah?”

  “None at all, Karr.  You are my brother after all.”

  “Thank you, Kitt.”

  “So we’re all one happy family again,” Knight said, with a smile.  “Swell.”

 

*   *   *

 

  “So what will you do now, Karr?” Kitt asked.

  “Carly needs someone to take care of her and the shop ...And she lost her father not so long ago and it feels like I have just lost mine.  I did not realise Wilton had passed on.”

  “He really did care for you, Karr.”

  “I know that ... now.”

 

A long paused followed.   KITT appeared to indicate Carly up ahead.

  “You love her, do you not?”

Another pause.

  “Yes ... I do ... up until now, she is the only one who really seemed to understand me.  If it wasn’t for her I’d either be dead, or lost in a cycle of hatred and revenge.”

  “Love does that,” KITT said. “I feel the same way about Bonnie...”

KARR seemed to smile.  “She does fuss about you so ... Like Carly does with me.”

The two cars chucked softly.

 

*   *   *  

 

KARR drove Carly home.  The shoulder length blonde woman danced into her messy house and squealed with glee.

  “Look like she missed the place,” Michael said with a smile.

  “She’ll need help with the authorities about her father,” Devon said, “and with handling the shop’s losses.”

  “I can handle that,” KARR said.

Carly bounded out of her house.

  “Carly home!”  She exclaimed excitedly, swirling around a bright orange scarf.  “Karr see?”

  “I can scan the inside of your home,” he said.  “It is quite spacious and ... “

  “Messy!”

  “I didn’t say it.”

Carly laughed sweetly, as she kissed KARR’s hood and spread her arms over him, to give him a hug.  The car didn’t know what to say.

  “Good luck, Karr,” Kitt said.  “Take care of her.”

  “I will.   Take care of yourself, Kitt, and your friends.”

  “I plan to, Karr.  Thank you.”

  “We’ll see each other again’ won’t we?”

  “I’ve a feeling our paths will cross again.”

  “You promise I wont get blown up next time we meet?”

KITT seemed to smile.  “I promise, Karr.”

 

KITT drove away with Bonnie, Devon and Michael.

  “Never thought I’d see the day,” Devon said as he watched Carly fuss over KARR.  “He’s really in love with her.”

  “And she with him,” KITT said.

  “Love is a beautiful thing,” Bonnie said.

  “Mushy, but it is,” Michael agreed, as they drove home.

 

*   *   *

 

Carly excitedly tidied her home, though kept rushing outside to check on KARR.

  “I’m fine,” he assured her, amused.  “I’m not bored, I promise you.”

She kissed him again and gently stroked his dash, and he appeared to smile as she danced back inside to her now almost tidy home and didn’t take his scanner off her.  This woman who most others would consider a vegetable had saved his life, his soul and he would never leave her.

 

Carly fussed about the garage and when she was done it looked more luxurious than a five star hotel, though she had given him the combination to the roll-a-door, should he ever want to go for a drive.  KARR seemed to smile, touched

  “Thank you.’

  “Karr home.”

  “Yes, Carly, I’m home.”

 

*   *   *

 

The shop was back to normal in no time, customers flooding back and Carly was able to afford to hire some hands to help her out.

 

KARR never tired of taking her up to the shops and back again, or for long drives.  As long as he was with her and she was safe.

 

The black Trans-Am finally realised why Wilton had deactivated him.  Perhaps on a soul level, the old man knew about Carly and KARR finally understood KITT’s devotion to Michael as he vowed to protect Carly, for the rest of her days, even if it cost him his own life.

 

 

                                                                                    *

 

 

Back to Knight Rider Page