Disclaimer:  Knight Rider was created by Glen A. Larson.

 

Summary:  After a shocking event, Kitt has come to a crossroads in his life. 

 

Rating PG

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

 

INTO THE KNIGHT

 

 

The shots rang over and over in KITT's mind, as did the Doctor's words.

  "I'm sorry, there's nothing more we can do for him."

  "No!" Kitt had yelled, just like he had yelled Michael's name.

Madly Kitt had scanned his vitals, administered a charge, but nothing.   Time and time again.  Nothing.

 

The culprits had been caught by KITT and damned lucky he had the sanity not to kill them, but their capture seemed hollow now that one so dear to him was lost.

 

*    *    *

 

Kitt could not cry.  He wished he could.  His body ached all over.  It felt as though he'd been blown apart.

  "Kitt?"

  "Bonnie." Kitt's voice shivered.  Anyone but Bonnie or Devon would not be welcome at this juncture.

  "I'm so sorry," she was in tears.

  "I know," Kitt said softly.  "It's a moment I've been dreading for a long time."

Bonnie swallowed.  "I loved him so much…"

  "As did I, Bonnie," KITT said.

  "As do we all," Devon said coming to them.  "Kitt, his loss pains you most of all."

KITT could tell by Devon's red eyes that he'd been crying as well.  He'd lost the closest person in the world he had to a son.

  "I want to be able to cry," KITT said.  "For Michael."

  "You're crying inside," Bonnie said, placing her hand on his black hood.

  "He knew the risks, but he took them anyway," KITT said. "Just like him.  I told him to be careful … I always do.  I always worry about him … Who can I worry about now?"

KITT's childlike innocence made Devon and Bonnie want to cry some more.

  "Does it get any easier, Devon?" KITT asked after a while.

  "Kitt when you lose a friend, as I have, many times, you will always miss them, but know that their soul will never die."

  "Where is Michael's soul now?"

  "I .. I don't know …"

  "They say that when we die we go to a better place… Is that true?"

  "I can't say for certain, but I believe it is."

  "I hope so, but I wish Michael was here with me.  Is that selfish?"

  "No, Kitt," Bonnie said.  "Of course not.  "When I lost my pet hare when I was eight I cried for months and always wished she was with me."

  "Thank you, Bonnie."

  "I have an incoming call," Devon said, "I'm sorry, but I must leave you."

KITT could tell he was lying, but he could sense the man was about to burst open with grief, so he said nothing.

 

Bonnie stayed with KITT for many hours.  Neither of them said much.

 

*    *    *

 

The next morning, KITT powered on his main units after having shutting them down for the night akin to sleep.  He was about to ask Devon what he and Michael's next mission was - and then it hit home.  Michael was gone.  He was not coming back, and it was too much for him to bear. 

KITT sped out of FLAG HQ, with Devon and Bonnie running after him.

  "Kitt you come back here this instant!" Devon yelled, but his words fell on deaf audio sensors.

  "Do you suppose he'll be all right?" Bonnie asked, worriedly.

  "He's irrational, there's no telling what he'll do, but knowing KITT, he won't harm anyone."

  "It's KITT I'm more worried about," Bonnie admitted.

 

*    *    *

 

KITT came to a skidding halt near the edge of a precipice in the Grand Canyon.

  "I can't bear to go on without you, Michael." He paused.  "Will we be together?  Do cars go to the Afterlife?"

KITT did not receive an answer.  He didn't expect to.

  "I'm about to find out," KITT said, answering himself as he rolled forward.

Kitt, Don't.

The car stopped immediately.  "Michael?"  It suddenly dawned on KITT that he had heard Michael's voice inside his mind

Don't.

  "But Michael, I can't stand it … never to hear your voice, your wisecracks, and Heaven forbid even your music."

I'm sorry, Kitt, sorry to leave you, Bonnie and Devon.  My only regret.  Take care of yourself, please.

 "I will, Michael. I promise.  Where are you?"

Safe.

 

KITT raced back to FLAG HQ and told Bonnie and Devon his experience.

  "Do you suppose it really was Michael?"

  "I don't know, Kitt, what do you believe?"

  "I believe it was.  I will miss him dearly, but it helps knowing he's not truly gone and that he's safe now."

Devon smiled, then he frowned.  "But that was very selfish of you, Kitt.  What on earth would we do without you?  You're far too important."

  "I'm sorry, Devon ... I realise that I may have jeopardised FLAG's operations, had I 'jumped' so to speak, but..."

  "FLAG can easily build another Knight Unit, KITT, but they can't build a friend, and 

losing one friend is heartbreaking enough."  Devon placed his hands upon the Trans Am's hood.

K.I.T.T felt a pang of guilt.  "Again, my deepest apologies ... I wasn't thinking, but I truly believe  Michael helped me."

  "That's wonderful, KITT," Bonnie said, tears in her eyes.

 

*    *    *

 

KITT sat melancholy in the hangar.  He had not heard anything more from Michael's spirit  in days.

 

A few hours later, Devon came to him.

  "Kitt, I have a new driver for you."

  "So soon?" Kitt sighed.  "Devon, I don't want a new driver just yet.  Michael and I had a very special relationship and I-"

  "I know, Kitt and nothing can replace Michael or the bond you had with him, but you need a new driver."

  "I know," KITT said sadly.  "Who is he?"

  "He's a she, KITT."

  "My apologies," K.I.T.T. said.  "I didn't mean to be sexist..."

Devon chuckled.

  "So who is it?  Do I know her?"

  "She's me, Kitt," Bonnie said, entering the hangar.

  "Bonnie?  No … I can't …" K.I.T.T. backed off.

  "Kitt?" Bonnie inquired, puzzled.

  "No ... Please ... I can't lose you as well …"

Bonnie sighed, approached K.I.T.T. and placed her hand on his hood.  "I know the risks, Kitt, and I'm willing and prepared to take them, as are you."

  "But Bonnie…"

Bonnie kissed Kitt's roof affectionately.  "I want to do this, Kitt."

  "But who will fix me?"

  "I will, plus as you know we've got a team of fantastic technicians."

K.I.T.T. hesitated for a few moments.  "I would rather have you as my driver than some schmo that I don't know, but Bonnie, what if-"

  "There are a thousand what if's Kitt.  Here's one.  What if you and I had a really great time together?"

K.I.T.T. appeared to smile and opened his door.  His new driver climbed inside. "That would be nice, but if you're to be my driver, you've got to promise me three things."

  "Which are?"

  "No junk food."

  Bonnie chuckled.  "And the other?"

  "Absolutely no rock music."

Barstow laughed.  "No argument here. And the third one?"

  "Be careful."

Gently Bonnie hugged his steering wheel.  "You too, Kitt."

Devon smiled.  "It is going to take time to adjust, but it looks like you two'll make a terrific pair."

  "Michael never kissed me for one thing," Kitt said.

Devon chuckled.  "It's wonderful to see you've got your sense of humour back, Kitt."

  "But I still miss Michael."

  "We all do."

 

K.I.T.T. rolled out with his new driver.  He had a great deal of love for Bonnie, but still, he wished Michael was with him.

 

 

The one formerly known as Michael Knight looked upon his automotive friend from the Heavens.  "Kitt, I will always be with you and you with me."

And far below, Kitt heard him.

 

Thank you, Michael, he said in silence as he cruised into the night.

 

                                                        *

 

 

Received 3 votes in the 2004 Edward Awards for "Best Dramatic Scene"

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Knight Rider Page