Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic.

Summary: A story about Highbrow and Fortress Maximus. In this story Maximus is about as big as Ultra Magnus.

Rating - PG

~~~~~~~~

FRIENDS

 

"No, Highbrow!" said Fortress Maximus again, in anger. "How many times have I told you?! I don't want to do it that way!!"

"It's the only practical, logical and intellectual way out of this situation."

"Highbrow," said Fortress Maximus, feeling more anger growing inside him. "There are other ways we can battle the Decepticons and I have told you my plan."

"But there are faults and errors in it which I have successfully and effectively overcome."

"What do you mean `successfully' overcome? You haven't even tried your plan."

"I don't need to. There are faults in your plan. Come on, we all make errors."

"Yeah - you included. My plan'll work. You wait and see."

"Okay, Maximus, if that's how you desire it. You're the leader. I'm not arguing anymore. It's an unnecessary waste of time and energy. Do not accuse me if your plan fails."

Fortress Maximus slapped Highbrow across his face, hard. He hadn't meant to lose his temper, but refused to apologize. Without saying another word, Highbrow left.

At the next Decepticon attack, Fortress Maximus' plan was put into operation.

The battle was long and hard. Fortress Maximus' plan was failing. Nearer the end it had totally failed and the Decepticons were winning. Highbrow couldn't operate his plan because it was too late, but in case his plan did fail, he had a plan B - he had constructed some energon bombs. He gave some of them to the Autobots. The bombs were quite powerful and the Decepticons were forced to retreat. The Autobots helped the wounded inside and began to repair them.

Fortress Maximus was repaired by Ratchet.

"Thanks," he said, feeling angry and embarrassed about his plan failing and what Highbrow would think. He was right and I was wrong ... Fortress Maximus was too embarrassed and angry to confront Highbrow and admit his mistake. He saw Highbrow, but didn't say anything and walked right past him. Highbrow chose not to say a thing either.

Fortress Maximus and Highbrow were to have many other arguments. Sometimes Fortress Maximus would resort to violence to win them.

"Violence will get you nowhere, Maximus," stated Highbrow. "It is not the mark of a good leader."

Fortress Maximus was getting angrier and angrier with Highbrow.

He once was so mad with him, he bashed him to the floor. Fortress Maximus then jerked his arm. He hadn't meant to hit him so hard.

"Maximus!" exclaimed Red Alert.

Fortress Maximus was quiet for a while.

"I hate him" he said, while Highbrow was still unconscious. "He's a pain."

"He's only trying to help you, Maximus."

"I don't want his help!" said Fortress Maximus angrily.

"You didn't have to shoot him."

"I'm absolutely fed up. Perhaps I shouldn't've hit him, but I couldn't take it anymore."

"Maximus, you're supposed to be the Autobot leader. Why can't you be kind, compassionate and understanding, like Optimus Prime was?"

"I'm not like that, Red Alert. I know I'm impatient and not as understanding as Optimus Prime, but I can't be. I can't change my personality. And I can't stand Highbrow. He really pisses me off!"

"Your language, Maximus, watch that too. You don't hate him. You only think you do."

Perhaps he's right ... thought Fortress Maximus to himself, then again, maybe not.

Highbrow was waking up. Fortress Maximus helped him up. Highbrow jerked his hand away.

"Leave me alone. I do not desire your assistance."

I shouldn't've hit him, thought Fortress Maximus, but was too embarrassed to apologize.

Fortress Maximus and Highbrow kept on having arguments.

"Get Lost, Highbrow!" yelled Fortress Maximus in one argument.

"But, Fortress, I ..."

"GET LOST!!"

Highbrow jerked backwards. He knew his idea was better than Fortress Maximus', but also knew it was pointless in arguing with him. Highbrow went away. He hated arguing with Fortress Maximus. He just wanted to help - to give the Autobots the best advantage. Fortress Maximus hardly ever learned from his mistakes.

What made Fortress Maximus angry was that Highbrow was smarter than him. Maximus knew this and was jealous of Highbrow.

Later, Highbrow heard Fortress Maximus going over another plan.

"I could improve it," said Highbrow, "but Maximus might not take my advice ... Well ... it's worth a try ..."

Highbrow went to Fortress Maximus and offered his advice.

"I don't want your advice" snapped the Autobot leader.

"But, Maximus, I only want to help."

"I don't want your help and I don't need it."

Highbrow sighed and walked away.

Later, they were having another argument.

"I hate arguing with you, Fortress Maximus ..."

"Then why do you?"

"I've stated to you previously, I want to help you improve your plans. I know quite often you say you don't want my help, but you never learn from your mistakes."

"I don't make mistakes!" yelled Fortress Maximus.

"You do, you're just too embarrassed to admit it."

Fortress Maximus violently pushed Highbrow onto the floor.

"I am not embarrassed," he said firm and angry.

Fortress Maximus felt like kicking Highbrow, hard, but controlled himself and walked away. I do hate him ...

The next day, the Decepticons attacked the Autobots. The Autobots fought back.

The battle raged on for hours. Trying to win the battle resulted in a lot of violence, as each side tried to win. The Decepticons violently attacked the Autobots. The Autobots fought back adjusting to the degree of violence the Decepticons were using.

The battle raged on.

All of a sudden, the Decepticon leader, Scorponok, in his large scorpion mode, grabbed Highbrow in his claw. Highbrow tried to struggle free.

"Release me" he demanded.

"Hah! Never!" exclaimed Scorponok. "I've got you now, Highbrow..."

Scorponok squeezed tighter on Highbrow. Highbrow tried to struggle out of Scorponok's claw.

"Please stop ..." gasped Highbrow. "... Let me go ..."

"What happened to that intellectual language?" asked Scorponok sarcastically, teasing him.

"Let me go, Scorponok ..." repeated Highbrow.

"Never."

"Please ..."

"NO!!"

Frightened. Highbrow tried to struggle away, but Scorponok was much stronger then him and about five times his size in scorpion mode. Scorponok squeezed tighter on Highbrow.

"Please stop, Scorponok ... You're hurting me ..."

"Oh, am I? ..." asked Scorponok sarcastically. " I'm so sorry, Highbrow ... How's this?"

Scorponok squeezed a lot tighter on Highbrow, suddenly. Highbrow yelped out in pain.

"Please stop!! ..." he screamed. "Please let me go ... " Highbrow felt as though all his internal organs were being crushed.

"Shut up" snapped Scorponok.

Highbrow gasped, trying to bear the pain.

Scorponok grinned. This is no fun .... It's too short. I don't want to kill him yet ... I wanna have more fun ...

He loosened his grip on Highbrow, who was totally relieved.

Scorponok said, "you're disappointing me, Highbrow ... You're no fun to play with."

"Play with?!!" exclaimed Highbrow. "You're not playing with me, you're killing me!"

"Killing is a game, Highbrow."

"It is not. Killing is cruel, evil, unmeritorious, heartless and you see it as a game. I do not want to play."

"You're a spoilsport!"

"Shut up, Scorponok ..."

"That does it!!"

He violently squeezed hard on Highbrow in his claw. Highbrow, at the sudden shock, screamed out in pain. Scorponok then loosened his grip a little. Highbrow breathed with relief.

"Just a little warning, Highbrow NEVER to tell me what to do! Well now for more fun ..."

"Fun ...! You call this fun?!"

"Yeah ..."

"Fun for who?"

"Who do you think? "

"Well," said Highbrow. "I'm not having any fun."

"You're not supposed to be. You'd be pretty weird if you had fun when someone was squeezing the life out of you."

Scorponok squeezed tighter on Highbrow.

"Please don't ..."

"Why should I stop? I'm having fun ... I don't care about you - why should I?"

"Please, Scorponok ..."

"Please, Scorponok ..." the Decepticon mimicked. "No."

Scorponok squeezed very tight on Highbrow. The more Highbrow begged him to stop, the tighter Scorponok's grip became.

Highbrow started bleeding. He was shivering like an earthquake. Highbrow's blood flowed into Scorponok's mouth.

Highbrow was absolutely helpless. Too weak to struggle free. His blood was still flowing into Scorponok's mouth.

"Mmm ... very nice, Highbrow ... I wonder if the rest of you tastes this good ... or better ... and I am quite hungry... "

Highbrow gasped and became petrified. "NOOOOOOOOOOW!! PLEASE!!..."

"You are at my mercy now, Highbrow and -- I HAVE NONE --"

He squeezed tighter on Highbrow, whose hands tried desperately to loosen Scorponok's grip, but it was no use. Scorponok was much stronger than him. He was getting weaker and weaker. He was utterly helpless. Scorponok was going to crush him and eat him and there was nothing he could do to save himself ... He tried begging Scorponok but Scorponok ignored him and continued to squeeze him. Highbrow was shivering and crying soundlessly. Scorponok squeezed tighter on him.

"No ..." gasped Highbrow. "Ohh ... please ... please don't kill me ... Please, Scorponok ..."

Scorponok laughed and drew Highbrow closer and closer to his mouth.

Highbrow was desperate. He looked around. Everyone had retreated from the battle. No one was there. Highbrow suddenly saw Fortress Maximus, about to leave.

"MAXIMUS!! HELP ME!! PLEASE"

Fortress Maximus spun around and saw Scorponok about to crunch Highbrow in his mouth. He saw Highbrow trying to struggle away. Fortress Maximus also saw how absolutely helpless Highbrow was. He really needs me ...

Highbrow was petrified.

"FORTRESS MAXIMUS!!...PLEASE...!!"

Maximus aimed his gun at Scorponok's head and fired. He shot Scorponok in his head twice. Scorponok was blasted unconscious and dropped Highbrow. Fortress Maximus ran to Highbrow, who was still lying on the ground, bleeding and was still in shock about what happened. Fortress Maximus knelt down to him. Highbrow, still shivering, put his arms around Fortress Maximus.

"It's all right, Highbrow," calmed Fortress Maximus trying to sound gentle, feeling Highbrow, shivering. "Everything's all right."

Highbrow breathed with relief, still shivering.

"It's over, Highbrow," he calmed Maximus softly. "You're okay now."

Highbrow nodded nervously, still hugging onto Fortress Maximus.

"Th ... th ... thank ... you ..." said Highbrow, his voice shivering.

"I'll take you home."

Fortress Maximus picked up Highbrow and flew with him back to Autobot headquarters. When they arrived, Highbrow was unconscious. Fortress Maximus took Highbrow into the repair bay.

"See what you can do for him Ratchet, he's been hurt bad."

Maximus felt awkward, and didn't quite know what the feeling was.

Ratchet, as always, did a fine job.

"Hello, Highbrow."

"Ohh, Ratchet ... thank you."

"Don't mention it. Be glad those injuries weren't as bad as they looked.

Fortress Maximus paid the repair bay a visit.

"Are you all right, Highbrow?"

"Yes, thanks to you, Maximus ... I don't know how to thank you..."

Maximus nodded. "It's all right."

Highbrow smiled. "Thanks."

Fortress Maximus smiled too.

"Sorry for all the times I yelled at you" he started.

Highbrow listened.

"I'm really sorry about the times I hurt you and the times I hit you. I don't know what came over me ... I don't know how I could've done it. I'm really, sorry. "

Fortress Maximus found that quite hard to say. He looked at the floor and then at Highbrow. "Can you forgive me?"

Highbrow looked at Fortress Maximus and smiled. "Of course I can."

"Thanks."

"It's all right, Maximus."

"And, Highbrow, I am admitting now that some of your plans were better than mine and I do make mistakes ..."

Highbrow smiled. They were friends now.

Together in the repair bay they talked about experiences they had, had.

"Thanks for saving my life, Fortress Maximus" said Highbrow again. "I owe you everything."

"I owed it to you, Highbrow ... I thought I hated you, but I couldn't let you die. Sometimes it's not until you lose someone, do you discover how much they mean to you."

Highbrow knew it took a lot for his leader to admit that. Fortress Maximus was finally getting in touch with his sensitive side, and realising it wasn't something to be ashamed of.

Of course this didn't mean the end of their arguments, but they weren't as heated or as violent now. Fortress Maximus was still hot headed, impulsive and brash, but at least now he listened to Highbrow and others, and hoped with their combined efforts they would someday defeat the Decepticons.

 

*

 

Back to Autobot Page

 

Back to Transformers Page