Disclaimers: Saint George (Lucasfilm) crated the Star Wars Universe.  Lucasfilm owned by Disney. George Lucas created the Star Wars Universe. Movies by 20th Century Fox/Disney. I make no Republic Datari {Credits}, Peggats, Truguts, Wupiupi, etc from my fanfic/fanart/fanfunnies.  Story written purely for enjoyment and the only profit I make is the happiness my writing brings.   The Force is With You Always :)

 

Summary: Qui-Gon and Anakin escape Tatooine together after he tells the ship to take off.

An AU story

 

Rating G

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

FLIGHT OF FANCY

 

Premise: Qui-Gon told Obi-Wan aboard Nubian take off, before he and Anakin could board.

Darth Maul had seen them briefly, before they hurriedly made their way back to Mos Espa, though they had not seen him. Unfortunately Qui-Gon and Anakin did not have time to visit Shmi, to their dismay.

As they headed for a Space Hangar, Qui-Gon could sense the Sith hot on their trail. Thankfully the Spaceport did accept republic credits and the Jedi Master bought two passages on the next flight - to the world Arani, not yet developed in the ways of space travel, though they had perfected air travel and welcomed space faring visitors.

The Sith Lord followed them, sensing where they were headed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Qui-Gon shielded Anakin’s thoughts from the Sith, whom he could sense was closing on them. "I promise no harm will come to you, Ani."

"But what about you?"

The Jedi Master smiled gently. "Your safety is my prime concern."

"Master Qu-"

"Ssh," Qui-Gon said softly. "Call me father. I'm sorry if you're not comfortable with-"

Anakin smiled. "It's fine, Father."

The Jedi smiled back at the young boy, whom he'd only known for a short while, and besides Obi-Wan, the closest person in the Universe he had to a son and ruffled his light hair.

Anakin giggled. "Daaad..."

Qui-Gon smiled.

A pause followed and Anakin looked serious again. "What if he finds-"

"It's the will of the Force and my duty to protect you, Anakin ... Son."

"Then it’s my duty to beg for ice cream."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "Only if I can have some too."

"You're on."

The Jedi Master purchased two ice sticks, chock rock for Anakin, ginger with choc and macadamia chips for himself.

Anakin looked up at Qui-Gon as he finished his ice cream. He had always wondered what it would be like to have a father. Now he knew.

Deeply touched, Qui-Gon smiled gently. "Thank you, Anakin."

The child seemed a tad embarrassed. "You can sense my thoughts?"

"Only when you want me to. Thanks for the ice cream. Haven’t had one since I was your age."

"There's no excuse for that."

Qui-Gon smiled again.

"Bet you haven't had a bubble bath in ages either."

The Jedi Master looked guilty.

"That's something we're gonna have to fix when we get to Coruscant."

"Yes, Master," Qui-Gon said with a smile.

His head suddenly snapped up, like a cat. "We must hurry, Ani. He masks himself well. He's looking for a large man and a small boy. Hope that doesn’t mean he thinks I'm fat."

"Hardly," Anakin smiled, grateful that the Jedi was trying to lighten the moment.

The Jedi Master lead him away, again shielding the child's thoughts from the Sith.

Qui-Gon registered under the assumed names of Liam and Annie, but also registered on another flight under their own names.

"In there," Qui-Gon said quietly, indicating a clothing shop. "Go into the change rooms and undress. I'll find you something."

Anakin did as he was asked. Qui-Gon held up his new garment. The child laughed. "You are so kidding."

"Maul's looking for a little boy."

"I'm *not* wearing that," Anakin protested.

"Ssh ... Ani, I'm sorry, but it's a matter of life and death and you'd look better in a dress than I would."

"The will of the Force ..." Ani said, forcing a breath as he grabbed the pink, frilly, lacy dress and scowled as he dressed.

"Sorry," Qui-Gon said from behind the curtain. "I did pick the best looking one. You should've seen the others."

Anakin half smiled as he emerged.

"It doesn't look *too* bad," Qui-Gon observed.

"It makes me look like a girl," Anakin scowled.

"That's the idea." Before Anakin knew it, the Jedi Master popped curly a blonde wig atop his head.

"Aww ... Master ... dad ..."

"Ssh. I'm sorry, Ani, you can kill me when we get back to Coruscant."

Anakin smiled. "Don't worry ... I don't blame you ... It is kind of cool though, I doubt mom would recognise me."

Qui-Gon smiled as he let Anakin choose a pair of shoes.

"At least they're not pink," he said.

The Jedi Master dressed in a pair of black slacks, black shirt and a black jacket.

"At least you look cool," Anakin said.

The Jedi Master smiled as he paid for the clothing.

"Anakin, it's only temporary. And you must think like a little girl, otherwise he'll pick upon your thoughts."

The little 'girl' nodded. "Yes, daddy. I want a dolly."

Qui-Gon chuckled.

"Ohh what an adorable little daughter you have..." A lady stopped on the way to her flight.

Qui-Gon smiled, Ani wanted to poke his tongue out.

"What's your name, little one?"

"Annie."

The lady smiled. "You'd get on well with my daughter, Joxi. She's about your age."

"She's going to be fine," Qui-Gon said, before he could stop himself.

The woman stared at him. "How can you..."

"I can sense things," Qui-Gon said.

"You're an angel," the woman said.

"I'm not, I'm-"

"But you must be. Thank you."

She smiled as she left, feeling relived.

"You are an angel you know," Anakin said after the woman had gone.

Qui-Gon smiled. "No I'm not, Ani."

"I think you are. Some angels don't even realise that they are."

"I've never thought of it that way, but I don't have any wings."

"Not all angels have wings, but you are, even if I'm never going to trust you to buy my clothes again."

Both smiled.

"How 'bout some chocolate?"

"Won’t say no."

The Jedi and the boy entered a small sweet shop and purchased some hazelnut chocolate just before boarding their plane.

Darth Maul entered the terminal in a huff, then tried to calm himself, lest the Jedi sense him as he checked the flight details. At first he thought it was pretty presumptuous and stupid of the Jedi to register under his own name, then sensed otherwise and despite himself was impressed with the Jedi's attempts to thwart him as he boarded the correct plane, using the Force to gain free passage.

Qui-Gon sat down with Anakin at the front of the plane.

"I guess you've never 'flown' before."

Ani shook his head.

"It's a lost art," Qui-Gon said. "It gets a little bumpy sometimes, but seeing you podrace, I don't think you'd have any problems."

The little boy smiled. "Thanks, Dad."

Qui-Gon smiled. "My pleasure, my Son."

The Jedi Master sensed the Sith come aboard, but thought it wise not to alert the child, however he was impressed at how well the young Sith masked his presence.

The boy was excited when the plane sped down the runway and took off, to which Qui-Gon smiled. He'd almost forgotten how enjoyable a flight could be, though preferred solo to commercial. He centred himself as Darth Maul sat right behind him, however felt confident the Sith wouldn't attack in this confined space, risking damaging the vessel.

Qui-Gon thought he sensed fear, somewhat awkward at first, and he surmised it was someone on the flight, their first flight and they weren't quite prepared for it.

Anakin didn't seem to mind the turbulence, even when it became a little rough.

//Can't they stabilize this thing...//

Qui-Gon sensed a disturbance behind him and realised it was Maul becoming increasingly nervous. As the turbulence increased, so did Maul's nervousness.

Qui-Gon became concerned for Anakin, but the little boy was pretending he was podracing and having a great time by the look of it.

A rather large bout of turbulence shook the craft a barely audible noise from the Sith.

//Through all my rigorous training ... My Master never trained me for this...// He scowled, embarrassed.

Three more violent bouts of turbulence had Maul grabbing the bag in front of him and lost his lunch.

Qui-Gon couldn't hold back a small smile.

Momentarily, the Captain’s voice sounded over the intercom.

"Passengers, we apologize for the turbulence. Please remain seated until further notice. There is no cause for alarm."

Maul groaned quietly.

A severe out of turbulence had him grabbing his seat.

Qui-Gon couldn’t help but sense the almost childlike fear. He called the host for a glass of water, which was brought to him. Qui-Gon placed a large dose of Hypnos Aspirin into the water, and waited until it had settled. He could let Maul suffer, he thought, but decided he couldn't do that and looked around the back of his seat.

"First flight?"

The Sith composed himself and nodded, quite embarrassed, though somewhat relieved the Jedi didn't appear to realise who he was.

"Drink this," Qui-Gon said, handing him the glass of seemingly pure water. "It'll settle your stomach.

Maul scowled. "I don't need-"

Another bout of turbulence, Maul grabbed the glass and drank, half grateful, half disdainful as he finished the liquid. And began to devise a plan to dispose of the Jedi and get the kid. He'd have to wait until they had disembarked and left the terminus, there'd be too many witnesses. Maul began to plot, though he could barely keep his eyes open.

The aeroplane landed at the halfway mark.

"We’re getting off here, Ani," Qui-Gon said, keeping his voice low.

The child looked surprised, though was careful not to seem too startled.

Behind them, Darth Maul sensed something, though he wasn’t sure what.

Qui-Gon stood with Anakin. Qui-Gon was satisfied Maul seemed subdued. The Sith looked at him and realised who he was, and despite his embarrassment, became afraid.

"Don’t worry," Qui-Gon said softly. "It’s a sleeping elixir, not poison."

Maul relaxed a little, sensing the Jedi told the truth and despite himself, grudgingly respected him, however he cursed himself for being so careless and he hadn’t failed to notice that right now, the Jedi could kill him with ridiculous ease.

"That is not our way," Qui-Gon said, sensing Maul’s thoughts. "You’ll fully awaken by the time the craft reaches its final destination."

Maul grunted as he at least made himself comfortable as he could and fell into a reluctant sleep.

"Qui-Gon," Anakin said when they left the plane, "you are an angel."

The Jedi Master smiled. "I’m just a person, Ani."

"Not many people would comfort an enemy."

Qui-Gon gently placed his hand on the child’s shoulder.

"Perhaps one day Jedi and Sith can live in peace," he said softly, as they left for the nearest spaceport to gain passage to Coruscant.

Much to Anakin's delight, Qui-Gon had kept their original clothes in the bag he had bought.

"Why didn't you tell me?" the boy whispered.

Qui-Gon smiled. "They would've been the first thing on your mind."

Anakin looked guilty.

"Consider this a lesson in your training."

"Yes, Master," Anakin said quietly, wondering if he would ever become as wise as Qui-Gon.

The Jedi Master smiled. "Only if you want to. Listen to your heart, Ani."

The young boy returned from the toilets, dressed in his usual clothes, feeling more comfortable, inside and out. Qui-Gon placed left their disguise clothes in an unwanted clothing receptacle.

"We must hurry," Qui-Gon said.

"I thought Maul was not-so-happily in dreamland."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "He is, though we’ve no time to waste. Naboo is in danger and I can sense Obi-Wan fretting." Qui-Gon centred himself. //I’m fine, Padawan.//

The reply was instant. //Master! Where in the Universe are you?!//

//Arani.//

//Arani, that’s the ass end of the Outer Rim! How in Hades did you get-//

//It’s a long story ¼ I’m sorry I couldn’t contact you. We were being pursued.//

//We?//

//Myself and Anakin.//

Obi-Wan appeared to sigh. //Well as long as you’re both all right ...//

//We’ll be home soon, My Padawan.//

//Safe journey, Master.//

Qui-Gon smiled as he turned to Anakin. "Honestly, he’s like a mother hen sometimes."

The Boy smiled.

//I heard that, Master. Cluck, cluck//

Qui-Gon laughed softly, a sweet sound as he and Anakin boarded the craft, bound for the new place Anakin would call home.

 

 

*

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Qui~Gon Page