Energon Soup for the Soul

 

{Seawave’s Saga …}

 

 

 

~~ Bah Wheep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong ~~

 

 

It is a world Transformed, where things are not what they seem. It is the world of the Transformers.  A world of Heroic Autobots and Evil Decepticons

 

 

Sentient mechanical beings intrigued and enlightened me.  I saw commercials for the toys, transforming icecream and crappy transparent pink water pistols, and thought Transformers were cool, but it wasn’t until April 1986 I saw the first episode – and never looked back, Baby!!   Never in my wildest imagination did I realise this half hour would  be the dawn of a whole new Universe, changing my life.

 

I’d love to describe what every TF means to me …

The Autobots and Decepticons each care about their cause with a passion.  It’s their individual characteristics that make them so intriguing.  Optimus Prime is the epitome of a hero, much like Jedi Master Qui~Gon Jinn in Star Wars, he’s wise, passionate about his beliefs, strong, gentle and can kick ass too! 

Megatron too is passionate, though won’t let personal feelings get in the way and that is an impressive commitment.

 

Before the third episode I was in love - Enthralled by sounds, images, stories unfolding, characters developing.  Who wasn’t mesmerised by Soundwave’s lovely melodical voice, Starscream’s charisma?  :)  I couldn’t wait for the next episode, each a new and exciting experience, despite no prominent female presence and the animators drawing doubles.  Patterns on Optimus kept disappearing… Oh where oh where they went, nobody knows – in the subspace compartment with his trailer?… ;)  I wonder if he had Desert Dog tyres in the show? ;)     I can repeat MTMTE Part I word for word and surprised myself!    “Many millions of years ago on the planet Cybertron…” I transcribed the episodes.  Each took about 5 hours!!   I liked the look of the TF’s better in the cartoon than the toys.  I was glad to feel a part of the phenomena that had intrigued the world. I loved most characters and created Seawave, a Femme, who started as an Autobot, but decided to become Neutral  - I love both Autobots and Decepticons!   Seawave is compassionate, gentle, patient, and can kick Cyber-Butt when she needs to :)  She believes in harmony and gives her all to bring peace to both factions and is trusted by Bot and Con alike.  I wanted more than anything to BE Seawave and leave my human life behind. I’ve since experienced other things I wouldn’t’ve if I did become a Transformer, but it was a nice fantasy.

 

I took my mother for moral support when I went to see Transformers The Movie -  I’d heard some horrendous things that happened and hoped they were vicious rumors.   What in Silicon Hades was Jay Bacal thinking??!!  I cried my optical sensors out when Optimus died… Starscream, Ironhide and the others … I felt my world had been devoured by Unicron.  Maybe I was in too deep, but I really cared about TF’s.   I love the cool Universal Greeting though!!  Since then I’ve seen most characters come back. The others are alive within me.  It made me stronger, though I still cry when my favorite characters die in anything :(  I feel spiritually, emotionally bonded to them.  I’ve learnt that death isn’t the end of everything, but it’s still an enigma, hence my fascination with Hades, Persephone and the Ancient Greek Underworld.

 

I got my first toy, Tailgate for my Birthday that year from Magda, Primus bless her Soul.  I was scared to collect, should I decide later I didn’t want them.  Not so!   I bought Mini Cars with pocket money, about $5.  I got money for Xmas and bought Oppy! $39.95 - still got ‘im!  My first Decepticon, Soundwave, $3.50 at a market stall, in battle damaged box!  (Wouldn’t sell him for Cybertron!)   And so my collection grew ... I loved my TF’s. They were my babies  :( I went totally frekazoid when I lost one.    It became harder to get the older toys and merchandise as most had been discontinued. :(  Before the dawn of Ebay, I scoured TradingPost papers, markets, 2nd hand shops, garage sales, asked friends if their siblings had any.  It was a glorious victory when I got one, no matter how battered!  Some, real bargains  Grapple, 50 cents and all he needed was one screw!  Slowly, I got there.   I was in tears when I got G1 Megtaron.  Only $15!  (He was baned in my State - people used him to hold up banks…)  And to find other TF things, like books was equally cool.

I shed tears of joy when I saw Classic Transformers in 1991.  Finally got an Ironhide!!  (…So his toy looks bad, but I love the guy!)  They truly are Legends.  There were quite a few I needed.  I started collecting some of the newer ones.  I was heartened with the G2 range, but it couldn’t beat G1.

It was 1995 before I finally completed my collection of TF’s I needed, thanks to Screamer, bless her Cyber-Soul  :) The final ones being Windcharger, Bluestreak, Carnivac, Spinister.  I replaced the few who were beyond Ratchet’s tender care  :)  Like Warpath who had been murdered by a Decepticon known as ‘The Lawnmower Man” … I’d spent hours digging for his parts in the grass heaps at the top of the garden… I have had to fix quite a few of my TF’s.  Since then, when I’ve had the money I’ve scooped up the toys I need  though my G1 Oppy and Soundy are my favorites.  I love G1 pre Movie merchandise, it has a special magical nostalgia, makng it stand out.  At the Easter show, it was great to get the TF showbags, costume ($5) and the way cool stationery bag ($2) most of which I have to this day.   I love to snuggle up to my soft, cuddly Soundwave quilt.  Among my weirder TF things is a tube of Soundwave toothpaste, from Israel.  I had to use perfume to get rid of the stench of the ‘strawberry’ paste.  Poor Soundie!    I’ve given up all hope of a G2 black Stealth Bomber Megatron and would sell my afterburners for an Elita One model kit!  :)

 

It was saddening around 1987  - Transformers seemed to be losing their popularity among the common folk. :)   With the release of the newer characters (TFTM, Head/Target/ Power/ Action/Micro Masters, Pretenders, etc), the originals seemed to be all but forgotten.    (Though I hate the concept of AM’s, the figures are cool).  I hated how they kept changing Optimus – there have been more Prime’s than Starship Enterprises!  I kept the Transformers flame alive, writing stories, exploring avenues they never did in the cartoon or comic, developing characters, hinting at peace between the factions and stretching the imagination.  I base some characteristics on aspects of myself I would like to have or want  to improve, letting fantasy free my mind and Soul.  I spent hours updating my never ending Transformers character list, playing with toys, watching episodes, reading comics, creating Transformer artwork, tapestries, painting symbols, masks and playing my own fantasy Transformers games.   It was a delightful treat to see someone playing with Transformers or wearing TF clothing.  I saw this kid in a gorgeous Optimus Prime tracksuit and another kid with an Ultra Magnus towel at the pool!  I have an Oppy one!  :)  It was cool to see TF names in other things like ‘Optumis One Design’… And an extra treat to see them making guest appearneces in other shows and movies like The Professional with Natalie Portman.  (So Queen Amidala is a closet TF fan!  ;)

 

Transformers, (She-Ra, Jem and Sailor Moon, :)  are the only things that can get me out of bed in the mornin’!   Despite Channel 10 playing episodes out of sequence and then putting it on the most evil morning cartoon show ever – The Early Bird Show, (Now defunct, thank Primus!) 5 hours of slag and they couldn’t play one episode without molest! They would’ve made Unicron and Darth Sidious cringe!!!  I wanted to borrow Meggie’s fusion cannon to level the place!!

 

It was in 1988, 10 said they weren’t playing Transformers again.  I cried, then set out to save the Robots in Disguise.  For over six months I went around with a petition at school and anywhere else, which grew until I had over 500 signatures and sent it.     It was 1991 before Transformers would finally come back to the Screens of OZ. I set my timer, but was paranoid it mightn’t work so I ran home from school!.  I saw episodes I missed and was in Silicon Heaven!!!  Though I need to replace most of my tapes…

 

I loved the comics, but preferred the animation in the cartoon, and you can’t hear the comics!  The newsagent didn’t always have, so I got them from Marvel.  By the third time Prime died, I knew like Arnie, he’d be back! :)  I cried when the comic ceased production in 1991   And when Marvel UK had promised to go on!  I must read my comics again.  They gave more depth to the characters and explored more avenues.  I  had some letters printed in the comic  - both UK and US.  Blaster, UK issue 330 about Optimus being sexy!  :)  Dreadwind was a way cool letter answerer – I think he was secretly in love with Darkwinghehehe.. I loved Hi-Test too!  Soundwave was good, though he didn’t seem to publish many letters from girls.  I think I finally figured out what puttup meant!   Grimlock (puttup) … Methinks Marvel could have made a better choice!  In a comic shop I met Ulysses and Mark who were also heavily into TF’s.   It was great to have friends to talk to.

 

I was teased a lot at school about TF’s :(   No one understood what they meant to me.  They’d ask why wasn’t  I into ‘normal’ things - (Make-up, fashion, Smash Hits, boys, teen soaps - blecch!), couldn’t understand simple Shockwave/Prowl logic - different people liked different things. I could blast with Megs’ fusion cannon anyone saying “Transformers are for little boys.”  How can anyone be so archaically sexist?!  It boiled my lubricant!  Despite the hurtful teasing from single minded Earth germs, they couldn’t lessen my love for my mechanical heroes.  Transformers made me a better and stronger person, and is a large part of who I am today.  I did see a girl with a TF pencil case and another, did a beautiful watercolor painting of Metroplex.  I made a friend at school, Code Name: Equus, who got into Transformers and we created our own characters, but unfortunately Hasbro doesn’t sanction fan creations, which is a pity as there’s a lot great fan stuff.

I’ve become good at picking voices and love to see pictures of voice actors, and to see them in other things, be it cartoon or live action.  I get very sad when I hear of the death of a Transformer voice over, even if I didn’t like the character.  It feels like a very important part of history is gone, like the fall of a beautiful ancient temple, but they will be in our hearts for eternity.

 

I always wanted to work with Transformers, either for Hasbro or on the cartoon.  By The Matrix, wouldn’t everyone!!!  It would be a so Wizard to give a voice to a TF character, write an episode!!  I always hoped Seawave would be mentioned in a comic or cartoon, like some fans have been -- It would be an honor.

 

And then came the Glorious Internet … the Cybertronian Wide Web … E-mail… siiiigh ;) I made lots of friends, whom much to my delight, were as much into Transformers as I!  Enlightened that others enjoyed reading my stories, I had previously written for my own enjoyment as I had no one to share them with.  Well my mum read and helped edit, but she’s not into TF’s.  She thinks Starscream and Skyfire are cute though!!   It’s wicked cool to have people tell me they like my stories!  I found others who had written fic and loved to read them. A pity I didn’t know about this  at school!  Beat some of the smeg novels we had to read!!   Although in A Wrinkle in Time,  the main character, Meg’s nickname is Megatron!  I laughed out loud in class!  Gods, I couldn’t believe it!!  And of course I just had to read Drag Strip and The Towering Inferno And there was a school mag called Tracks … :)

It’s great to have friends to talk to and ramble on about TF’s ‘till the Cyber cows came home – and not have them say they’re sick of Transformers!  I’m that way about Star Wars too!!!   I have others to share my parody drawings with and have a lot of fun creating new ones!  A pity fanfic/fanart doesn’t pay bills!!!  

I’m on Transformers mailing lists and have joined an Aussie club, up to date with happenings and ideas.  I’m eternally grateful for my friends and being able to bring joy with my writings, laughter with my parody art and know that people are interested in my views.  I was heartened to discover I wasn’t the only one who found certain characters sexy!  I am not alone!  Although I couldn’t keep Oppy to myself anymore!!  ;)

 

The latter half of 1996, Raggletag told me Peter Cullen and Stan Bush were appearing at BotCon ’97!!!  Gods above and below, I started saving every Energon chip!  I just had to go!!!  It wasn’t like Peter was going to come to Australia!   To my knowledge we’ve never had a TF convention here.  I wasn’t sure I could do it at first, but I managed to save enough!  It was too important to miss!!!

 

First on my trip, I went to Mount Saint Helens.  I’d always wanted to go.  It proved to be difficult to arrange, though well worth it.  I would have loved to climb the Volcano, but you needed a permit. I stayed in Portland, Oregon.  The Mountain is actually in Washington State.  (In the comic she’s in Oregon and called Mount Saint Hillary, but she’s based on Mt. St. Helens)  I went on a wonderful tour, taking you to all the vantage/lookout points.  I went a crazy  - spent over $300 … Books, t-shirt, ash, screensaver, (artefacts made from the ash, porcelain dolphin, lovely glass eggs, one made especially for me :)   It was a truly fantastic experience to be so close and learn more about her.  I did an assignment on her for school and it was heartening to see how much the area has improved.

 

(A theory  I have is - Teletraan I was awoken by the blast  on May 18, 1980 at 8.32am – [hope he’s not a night computer ;) … but since he was damaged, it took a further four years to complete scanning Earth, gathering information, including new modes for the Transformers to assume)

 

On day two, I went on a helicopter flight right into her crater and pardon the pun, but  was totally blown away -- to see the mountain up close and personal.  She really is much bigger than she seems. Her crater is over two miles wide.  I felt a real connection with her, and not just for the Volcano being the inspiration for Autobot Headquarters.  I was fascinated by her when I saw a movie, and did some research, before I was into TF’s!   I didn’t see a yellow space ship … but then we didn’t exactly fly around the South side, so maybe, somewhere hidden amongst all those fir trees…:)  I took many, many photos!!!!  I can’t describe how awesome it was, like being inside a real dream.  Never regretted a single credit I spent and still treasure my keepsakes and unforgettable experience.

 

On to New York, spent a day exploring – not enough time!   Got some Tf toys and saw Brent Spiner (Data, Lore & Dr Soong, Star Trek: TNG)  live in a play!!  Saw the Statue of Liberty for the first time in real life!  The Chrystler building really is that shiny!  It brought back the episode City of Steel, one of the first I saw.  I couldn’t resist going to Central Park to look for Rumble and Frenzy!  Took mine along in case I missed them! ;) Though I swear Soundwave was spying on me from  the trees :) … And I simply could not resist  - “The Empire State Building is sinking!!”   ;)

 

And now On To BotCon … An experience, as Talon said, was like being inside the Nexus.   (Star Trek: Generations)   As far as I know I was the first Australian to attend BotCon.  I met friends I’d known from e-mail, snail mail, telephone and fanfic… Screamer, Zoi, Raggle, Kynight, Talon, Raksha, Tut … And I felt like I had come home.  Gods, I never wanted it to end!  Why did it only have to be 3 days!!!    It was such a blast meeting Stan Bush, so personable and sweet!  I even got to carry his guitar!!!!!  He’s had it since 1976!   … The Concert … Awesome!   I cried when Vince played The Death of Optimus Prime, so moving.   To see Stan actually sing my favorite songs, The Touch and Dare… in a word, wowsers!

It was magical to be up all night talking with friends, sharing ideas, characters, stories and putting on our best Starscream voices!!  “No, Megatron, pleeeeeeease!!!” ;)

 

Frank Welker’s tape was really cool.   No, I didn’t eat too much bacon  ;)   A pity he couldn’t make it to the Convention ... Peter Cullen … Totally Wizard!  A big cuddly cowboy! :)  Hearing him speak, another dream come true.  Ever since I saw my first Transformer episode when I was 13, I had dreamed of meeting him.  At this time I was 24, dressed as Carly, a costume I had compiled myself, it looked quite good!   I asked Peter to sing in Optimus’ voice… I can’t remember what he sang, but for eleven years I wondered what Oppy would sound like!   I was surprised to hear that he did so many trailers and voices.  As I stood, I still couldn’t believe I was actually there.  I couldn’t wait to meet him in person, and got my chance.  I brought him a souvenir from Australia and a piece of pumice from Mount Saint Helens (rest assured – it was NOT from the protected Volcanic Monument area!)  Peter was so touched, he got up and hugged me!  I was floored!  To have Optimus Prime cuddling me - better than the Nexus!  He signed a lovely picture I drew of Optimus, sitting by a serene forest waterfall with a dove.  ‘Tanya … Dream on, Love Peter Cullen.’  I still smile when I think back, when I’m down, it puts me back on cloud 9  with that special silver lining  :)   Peter did a recording for me, where he said “Freedom is the right of all Sentient Beings.  And now …Autobots, Transform and Roll Out!!!”

 

The dealers’ tables, although expensive, were awesome.  Never before had I seen so much Transformer stuff in one room!!  Zoi was really sweet and bought me lots of things as we looked around together and my friends gave me discounts at their tables!  :)  I wanted to cry at all the way cool G1 stuff I saw and wished I had more money – and wished I ‘d bought more in 1985!!!  :)  (Ditto for She-Ra & Golden Girl dolls!!!)

 

A bunch of us saw the ‘make fun of’ TFTM, and it was the first time I saw the movie where I actually had a good time.  Me wailed loudly when Oppy died and screamed for mercy in Starscream’s voice when Galvers was about to kill him. 

Galvatron: “Unicron … Why do you torture me…?”

‘Unicron’:  “BECAUSE I AM A SADISTIC EVIL BASTARD!!!”

It was fun listening to the other panels and to actually meet Simon Furman , Andy Wildman and Vince DiCola, all very personable. David Kaye said he loved my accent!  Yeeeees!  :) Hats off to the Hartmans!!

 

In our rooms, we saw a trailer for Air Force One and immediately knew it was Peter!!  Since then I’ve heard many others and get quite excited when I pick up his voice!  Like The Perfect Storm … Hey!  I met  that guy!!!  :) …And as for that incident with the cherry bomb, evacuating us from our rooms … At times I wish my Megatron really worked!  :)

 

And of course we talked about Transformers, Transformers, Transformers!!!  I hope to go again, to relive the beautiful Nexian experience  and hug all my friends!! :)

 

Beast Wars is cool, love the animation and dialog - it’s great to see Transformers back in again, to see kiddies staging mock battles.  I was heartened to see mechanical Transformers back with the birth of Machine Wars, and now with Rid, Armada and Energon, the Transformers’ flame is eternal, though I prefer the original series.

 

Rob Jung asked Femmes Unite to host the Trannies in 1999 which was a major blast!   Hehe!!! 

 

I had a few articles on Transformers, (and one on Mount Saint Helens) printed in the newspaper.  I continue to write and share with my friends and have a cool time with TF’s.   I discovered many other interests, sci-fi, fantasy, mythology and more. More friends have entered my life.  I’m very spiritual, and yes, I believe Transformers exist in their own Special Universe!!

 

Loving Transformers is loving the characters and the memories they gave us, exploring new avenues, like ‘what if Thundercracker/Breakdown left the Decepticons?’  It doesn’t matter how you spell Elita, wether Frenzy is red or blue or wether Soundwave and Megatron are true friends or if Transformers can have intimate relationships.  Everyone has their own beliefs and ideas.  What matters is what the chatacters mean to us, and how they have influenced and improved our lives.

 

My friends and Transformers give me strength and courage.  The Robots in Disguise were always there in Cyber~Spirit.  They gave me something to believe in, to love and cherish.  They nurtured me, helped improve my writing, express and unlock my creativity, freeing my inner child - and my inner Warrior  I discovered my compassionate, spiritual nature and open mindedness.  Transformers are not the only things in my life, but played an enormous role in the person I am today and the creative Soul I aspire to be.  They are truly More Than Meets The Eye.    Cyber~Hugs to all!!   :)

 

Till All Are One

 

 

Love Seawave        xoxoxooxoxox

 

 

*

 

 

Back to Transformers Page