Disclaimer:  The Xenaverse is owned by Renaissance/Universal, created by Rob Tapert.

 

No profit is being made from this writing.  It is written for the enjoyment of those who wish to share it.

 

Summary:  Hades comforts Celesta

 

Rating PG

 

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

DEATH'S EMBRACE

 

 

Celesta sighed inwardly as she looked st the dying little boy wrapped in cloth, barely having the energy to lie down.

  "NO!" his mother screamed.  "You cannot take him!"

  "Please … Jordana must come with me."

  "Who are you to decide?!"

Celesta felt for the little boy's parents.  "It is his time," she said, her voice soft.  "I must, I'm sorry."

  "What would you know of sorrow?" asked the boy's father. "You're a God."

  "I feel sorrow every time I must take a mortal to the Underworld.  I understand your pain and your fears."

  "Please … you can't take my only son…"

  "I'm sorry, but I must.  There's nothing I can do to prevent it, not even as a God."

The mother hurled an earth coloured oil burner at Celesta.  The burner bounced off her, hit the floor and smashed. 

The Spirit of Death closed her eyes.  "I'm so sorry, but I must take him."

The only one who hasn't said a thing was the little dying boy.

  "You have no heart," the mother accused.

The Goddess was hurt deeply, but said nothing.

  "Mother … please …" the boy started to say.  "Let me go…"

  "No, please don't take my baby!"

Celesta looked sympathetic as the little boy's body went limp.

  "Get out!" the mother screamed at Celesta.  "Get out!"

The father held his wife, giving Celesta a dirty look.

  "I promise you, Jordana will be safe in the Elysian Fields." Celesta's voice was drowned out by the mortal's sobs.

 

The Goddess floated out of the house, holding her candle, burning the only light this moonless night.

  "Celesta?"

Death's spirit looked down to see the glowing form of Jordana, the little boy.

  "Don't feel bad," he said.  "They don't understand, but they will someday."

Celesta smiled warmly.  "Thank you,"

And she guided him to the Elysian Fields.

 

 

*    *    *

 

 

Hades sat in his castle.  One of the few times he'd had to himself in even he didn't know how long.  Then his brow furrowed when he sensed an immense sadness. He looked up and realised it was coming from the Elysian Fields and became very puzzled indeed.  Concerned, he stood and felt he had to deal with this himself.  Who could be feeling sad in the Elysian Fields of all places?  In the Land of Bliss and Paradise?  Had something gone wrong?

  "Incoming!" Charon barked.  "A lot of 'em!  Ares has started another war and a plague has broken out in Amphipolis."

  "Deal with it," Hades ordered.  "I've got something on my mind."

 "Yes, Boss," Charon grumbled.

Somehow The Lord of the Underworld knew his peace wouldn't last.

 

Hades sensed the despair growing as he came closer.  He sensed it came from a woman and he wanted nothing more than to help her.  The God of the Underworld entered the Elysian Fields, and the more the pain deepened.  Hades relaxed his body and mind.  His troubles would have to wait.  The Lord of the Underworld approached the weeping woman, her delicate white dress sprawled out upon the soft grass.  He sat down beside her and took her hand.

  "What's the matter?" he asked gently.

She turned her head toward him.

  "Celesta ..." he said with surprise.

Hades forgot his troubles when he saw the tears streaming down his sister's face.

  "I'm sorry, Hades, I know I've a lot of work to do and I …"

  "You can do it a little later," Hades said.  "What's wrong?" he asked, genuinely concerned.

Celesta sighed, and wiped her tears away, though more came.

  "What's the matter?" Hades prompted gently, placing his hand on her shoulder.

Celesta leant against her brother's strong chest.

Patiently, Hades waited for her answer, breathing the fresh Elysian Fields' air.  He'd never seen Celesta like this before and was very concerned.  He could feel her pain, the bond between them was very strong, stronger than it was with his other brothers and sisters.  Whatever he was doing, he was sure he was doing it right.  He sensed Celesta's pain and sadness had eased considerably.

 

Celesta took a deep breath and told Hades what had happened with Jordana's parents.  Hades became angry, but Celesta calmed him.

  "It's not an isolated incident," she said.  "It was the final straw, that's all."

  "Celesta, you never told me."

  "I didn't want to trouble you."

  "You wouldn't have troubled me.  You know you can talk to me."

Celesta sighed.  "I know.  I've been guiding mortals to the Underworld for three thousand years.  You would think I'd be used to it by now."

  "It isn't an easy thing to get used to, My Dear Sister.  I have had to endure the mortal's fear and hatred for centuries also.  I don't think it's something anyone ever gets used to."

  "You never let on that it upsets you."

  "That's because I'm an expert at hiding my feelings," Hades said with a smile.

  "You could have talked to me about it," Celesta said.  "I guess we've both been feeling the same way.  Will it get any easier?"

  "Sorry, but I doubt it," Hades said.  "But the bright side is in the end the mortals understand that death isn't the end all of everything, rather a new beginning, the next step upon their sacred journey."

Celesta smiled and dried her last tears.

  "Come on," Hades said standing, gently pulling Celesta up with him.

 

 

The Sovereign of the Underworld took his beloved sister back to his castle to a table filled with all sorts of scrumptious and exotic foods.  The Spirit of Death smiled.

  "Help yourself," Hades offered.

Celesta picked up a slice of yellow star fruit and began to nibble.  Next she ate some red crystal pomegranate seeds, followed by some exquisite milk chocolate. 

Hades took her hand.  "Feeling better?"

Celesta smiled. "You always know how to make me feel better."

And she placed her arms around him, an embrace which the Lord of the Dead returned with all his heart and soul.

 

 

*

 

 

Back to Hades Page