Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

Summary: The space bridge has malfunctioned.  Megatron and Soundwave are on their way to Cybertron, but encounter a ship-wide failure, courtesy of  ... Can you guess who?

Authour's notes: Originally appeared in the Australian Androidz fanzine, 1992, [since revised]

Rating - PG

~~~~~~~~~

DISTRESS SIGNAL

 

Shockwave had discovered an old destructive Decepticon weapon used in the war, before the Transformers left for Earth. He had informed Megatron of his discovery and told him that it could be modified and used against the Autobots once again - this time with more power. Naturally Megatron wanted it. Shockwave cautioned him that it would be too risky to transport the device through the space bridge by itself and suggested that he should send someone to collect it. Megatron agreed.

"I'll come," he said. "With Soundwave. But first we must re-energize and to do that I have planned to attack the Gamma Power Plant. I'll let you know when to expect me. Megatron out."

He terminated communications.

"Of course the Autobots'll attack us when we attack the power Plant," he said to himself, angrily. "Meddling bastards.... Why can't anything be easy? ...."

Starscream had heard the entire conversation.

"So Megatron's off to Cybertron with his best buddy, eh ... This could be the chance I've been waiting for ...." His mouth formed a cruel, evil smile.

The Decepticon were about to set off for the plant.

"I'll stay behind, Megatron," Starscream offered. "Someone has to look after this place in case the Autobots decide to come visiting."

"Very well, Starscream."

Megatron turned to the other Decepticons. "Let's go."

"Whooee! I love grocery shopping!" Skywarp smirked.

The Decepticons left for the Gamma Power Plant.

"Starscream seemed awfully nice," Thundercracker said. "I mean he loves battle."

"Starscream nice?!" Skywarp exclaimed. "He's got something up his afterburners - but who cares - let's go get the energy!"

About two hours later, Megatron and the others returned, looking quite beat up and very angry.

"Well, Well," Starscream said, looking healthy. "I see the Autobots whipped your asses."

"Shut up..." Megatron growled. "With the new weapon Shockwave has we'll destroy them!"

The Decepticons had just managed to make it away with barely enough energy to survive, and so had to use it sparingly.

Megatron and Soundwave had re-energised and had their wounds attended to.

"Ahh, that feels better," Megatron said. "Now - let's get to Cybertron."

Soundwave followed him to the space bridge.

Megatron entered the co-ordinates - but it would not work. he tried again. Same results.

"Of all the God damn ...." He kicked the space bridge, punched it and went on yelling certain swear words he's learned on Earth, while Soundwave remained clam. He waited until his leader had finished and calmed down somewhat.

"It will take longer than the Bridge, but If I may suggest we take our space cruiser?"

Megatron nodded. "Make it so."

He and Soundwave blasted off for Cybertron.

The journey seemed to be uneventful.

Megatron set the cruiser and on automatic and turned to his friend. "You know, Soundwave, I'm almost glad the Space bridge malfunctioned now."

Soundwave looked at him.

Megatron continued. "It's not often I get to indulge in the luxury of space travel."

Soundwave looked to the stars, appreciating their quiet tranquillity.

As if they spoke to soon, they felt the cruiser give a vigorous jolt. Both Megatron and Soundwave were thrown onto the floor.

Megatron stood and helped Soundwave up. He immediately checked the helm.

"The automatic pilot has malfunctioned" he said, sitting in the seat. "Switching to manual ... What's happening? ..... The controls don't respond....."

Soundwave took a reading.

"Entire cruiser malfunctioning ....." he informed.

"Radio Cybertron for assistance."

"... No response, Megatron. The communicator is also malfunctioning."

Megatron grimaced. "Try to radio our headquarters on Earth...."

Decepticon headquarters, Earth.

Starscream smiled. "As I predicted ..... The malfunction I rigged worked perfectly ..... Goodbye, Megatron .....Pity I had to wreck such a good ship ... Oh Well ... the sacrifices we make..." Starscream chuckled quietly.

"No response ....." Soundwave said, although he knew that before he tried.

The Red Alert klaxon screeched. BRRRRWWWW! BRRRRWWWW! BRRRRWWWW!

"This ship is set to self destruct exactly in two Earth hours" The computer's monotone voice said.

"NO!!" exclaimed Megatron, horrified. "There's got to be something we can do ....."

BRRRRWWWW! BRRRRWWWW! BRRRRWWWW!

"Turn off that damn noise!" Megatron barked.

Mercifully, the blaring stopped.

Soundwave shook his head. "Negative. There is nothing."

"Abandon ship."

"Impossible, Megatron ....." informed Soundwave. "All entrances and exits jammed, and all escape pods jettisoned. There is no escape. "

"We'll blast our way out."

"No, Megatron" advised Soundwave, "in this confined space using our weapons to blast the hull will be suicidal. There's nothing either of us can do."

"How can we repair the damage to the cruiser?"

"Damage reparable, but we do not have the right materials."

"Great ...." Megatron grimaced. "Soundwave - send out an automated Distress Signal."

Soundwave knew that command embarrassed Megatron and respected him for it. He obeyed without saying a word.

Megatron didn't want to show his fear, but Soundwave could already see that.

Meanwhile Autobot headquarters was receiving an SOS.

"What frequency is it on?" asked Optimus Prime.

"Transformer frequency" confirmed Teletraan I, the Autobot computer.

"What?! Get a fix on it at once."

Teletraan pinpointed the exact location. "The craft is located exactly halfway between Cybertron and Earth. Some kind of internal malfunction detected. It is schedule to self destruct in one earth hour, thirty six seconds and counting--"

Optimus Prime immediately radioed Omega Supreme.

"Omega - someone out there needs our help desperately....."

He transmitted the co-ordinates. "The craft will self destruct in one Earth hour and twenty seconds. Take someone with you - and hurry - you don't have much time - but be careful - it may be a trap."

"Yes, Optimus Prime."

Omega immediately blasted off in his rocket mode with Powerglide.

Meanwhile inside the Decepticon space cruiser...

"Cease panicking, Megatron" calmed Soundwave. "You're wasting energy and only making the situation worse."

"Could it be worse than this???!!! ....."

Omega Supreme was pushing his speed to the utmost limit.

In the Decepticon space cruiser - Megatron and Soundwave were being roughly jolted about.

"Soundwave." Megatron tried his best to calm down, "try to stabilise this thing."

Soundwave walked to the controls and tried a sequence.

"Cruiser stabilised - for the moment."

"Anything ...... " said Megatron. "How much longer do we have before-"

"Exactly twenty-nine point eight minutes."

"No ..... That can't be all we ....."

"I have calculated the time exactly."

"I am not doubting your calculations, Soundwave ..... but this can't be happening ....."

"There is no way to escape, Megatron," said Soundwave, his voice calm. "We have to accept our fate ....."

"No!! I can't!!"

Megatron was almost in tears. Soundwave sympathised with him.

"I Am scared too," he comforted, "but there's nothing we can do to change our current situation. At least our deaths will be quick and painless."

Megatron tried his best to smile.

"I admire your courage. It is exemplary. Thank you for your comfort and support. You have always been a true friend, Soundwave."

The other smiled.

The space cruiser then gave an extremely violent jolt, throwing Megatron and Soundwave onto the helm control. The console exploded, knocking them both unconscious.

Omega Supreme was nearing the proximity of the co-ordinates.

"The ship has drifted" he said. "Following all courses on last known trajectory."

"Hurry" said Powerglide." - We only have about six minutes."

The craft came into view.

"It's a Decepticon space cruiser!!" exclaimed Powerglide. "Radio Optimus Prime! - It's a trap!"

"Wait" halted Omega Supreme. "Cruiser is badly damaged. Switching to X-ray scanners."

Omega scanned the cruiser. "It is not a trap" he confirmed. "Two life forms aboard, both unconscious. Soundwave and Megatron. Radioing Optimus Prime ...."

".... I read you, Omega Supreme. Did you locate ....."

"Yeah, we did, Prime " said Powerglide, "- and wait for this - it's a Decepticon space cruiser with Megatron and Soundwave inside ...."

"What?! A trap?"

"No" said Omega Supreme. "Cruiser badly damaged. They are both unconscious."

He transmitted the visual of the damaged space cruiser and Megatron and Soundwave, lying helplessly on the floor.

Optimus Prime looked at them.

"Do you want us to save them, Optimus?" asked Powerglide.

Optimus Prime hesitated for a moment.

"They're our enemies, Prime," said Powerglide. "Do you want us to leave them to their fate? It's three minutes before kablooey --"

Optimus paused. "My brain is capable of leaving them, but my heart isn't. This goes against my better judgement ..... Rescue them and hurry ...... You only have two minutes, forty-eight seconds left."

"They are Decepticons, Optimus Prime," said Omega Supreme. "Enemies."

"I'm well aware of that, Omega, but they are also living beings. My motto is - 'freedom is the right of all sentient beings' - The Decepticons, although are evil, are alive. I cannot allow them to be an exception to my beliefs, just because they are my enemies. Please rescue them."

"I understand, Prime," said Omega Supreme, "I cannot grant your request."

"That was not a request. It was an order." Prime's voice was firm.

There was a pause.

"Order acknowledged, Optimus."

Omega, in rocket mode, used his laser to cut a hole through the hull of the cruiser.

"Hurry ...." he said to Powerglide.

The red plane flew into it. He ran to the helm and saw Megatron and Soundwave, lying on the floor.

"Two minutes before kaboom ....." Powerglide dragged the Decepticons to the opening. "Talk about heavy ....."

He finally managed to make it to the opening. He took the Decepticons inside Omega's rocket mode, jumped in and shut the hatch. Omega took off. The Decepticon cruiser exploded shortly after in a blinding eruption of light.

"Phew ..... we left just in time ....." gasped Powerglide.

Later, they arrived at Autobot headquarters with the Soundwave and Megatron and carried them inside. Optimus took them and laid them on beds in the repair bay then left, locking the door behind him.

"It shouldn't be long before they regain consciousness."

Megatron came to about half an hour later. He sat up and looked around him.

"I'm still functional .... But where .... what? .... This isn't our cruiser ...."

He looked over at the other bed and saw Soundwave regaining consciousness.

"Soundwave .... We haven't been terminated ..... Where.... where are we?"

Soundwave too was surprised they both were alive.

"Location unknown."

"Where could we be? ....."

"In the Autobot repair bay, Megatron," replied Optimus Prime, walking in.

"Optimus Prime! .... What .... uh ....." Am I dreaming?

"You're lucky we received your distress signal in time," The Autobot said.

"You rescued us??"

"Omega Supreme and Powerglide."

"But you gave the Authorisation? ....."

"Yes."

In a way, he wanted to thank Optimus Prime, but remained silent. "Why?"

Optimus paused for a short while. "Whether you understand this, I don't know - Life is important to me, Megatron. Even if it's a Decepticons.'"

The Decepticon leader felt grateful, but said nothing. "How long do you intend to keep us here, Prime?"

"For as long as you want to stay."

"I do not want to stay."

"Suit yourself."

Optimus Prime handed the two Decepticons each a small energon cube.

"It's not much," he said, "but it should be enough for you to fly to your headquarters."

The Decepticons both drank their cubes. Megatron looked at The Autobots leader but said nothing.

Optimus knew it was his way of saying 'thank you.'

Megatron immediately left for their undersea headquarters with Soundwave.

"There's gratitude for you ....." sniffed Powerglide. "We saved their butts ..... No thank you's - no nothin'. Ungrateful Deceptibums ....."

"No" said Optimus Prime. "If Megatron was ungrateful for what we had done, he would have blasted me."

"Yeah .... But ... I also thought .... since we saved Megatron's life and all .... he might ..... The war might end, y'know? ...."

"Who knows, Powerglide?" said Optimus Prime, staring into outer space. "Who knows ..... someday ..... maybe it will ... Hang onto your dreams."

The smaller Autobot smiled.

Megatron and Soundwave arrived at Decepticon headquarters.

"Onslaught was supposed to have repaired the space cruiser" he said. "What happened may be his fault."

"Onslaught .... Soundwave and I were flying to Cybertron in the space cruiser, and experienced a technical failure. We were almost killed. Do you know what happened?"

"Negative, Megatron. I ensured every part of the cruiser was functioning in perfect order Just out of interest, how did you escape?"

"We .... uh .... Managed to by .... opening the .... auxiliary hatch ...."

Onslaught was surprised. "How did you manage that in a vacuum?!"

"We just did."

"Oh .... By the way, about the cruiser, I did see Starscream near it when I left, if that's any ....."

"STARSCREAM!! THAT TRAITOR!!"

Megatron instantly in a blazing fury. He hunted on the warpath for Starscream and found him in the main control room.

"STARSCREAM!!!"

Starscream spun around in shock.

"Megatron!!"

"So, it was you ....."

"What ..... what the hell are you talking about? ....."

Starscream desperately tried to cover up. "We ..... we lost contact with you ..... We ...."

Starscream tried to hide his nervousness.

"Silence - you pathetic mechanism" snapped Megatron. "Didn't you receive a distress signal?"

"Come to think of it, we did."

"Why didn't you respond?!"

"Really, Megatron. What would you do if you received a Distress signal? Go gallivanting off to save the poor wretches? This isn't the Starship Enterprise, you know. How was I supposed to know it was you? Really! I thought we Decepticons were ruthless and merciless." Starscream put his hands on his hips.

"That may be all fine and well - but YOU caused the malfunction in the first place you worthless piece of shit!"

Starscream shook his head. "I didn't! I -"

Megatron blasted him.

"No, Megatron ...... please believe me ..... It wasn't me ..... it-"

"SILENCE!!! OF COURSE IT WAS YOU!!!"

He blasted at Starscream three times. Starscream jumped out of the way, but slipped and fell onto the floor. Megatron blasted him while he tried to stand, then jumped on top of Starscream and pointed his fusion cannon at very close range in his face.

"Please don't destroy me, Megatron ... I'm too valuable...."

"Don't destroy you? Why not?"

Starscream could think of no answer. "It wasn't me ....." he wailed.

"Stop your pathetic whining."

Megatron bashed him across his face with his fusion cannon. Starscream looked away, then looked back, uneasily at Megatron's fusion cannon.

"On second thoughts ....." said Megatron, lowering it, "I won't destroy you. I-"

"I knew I was too valuable ...." smiled Starscream. "I-"

"HAH! You'd be more valuable as paper clips. Your punishment is to construct a new space cruiser - exactly like the original - by yourself."

"But ..... it'll take ....."

"I don't care how long it takes - Do it."

"But ...."

"You have two choices, Starscream. One, start construction of the new space cruiser - or two, I painfully terminate you now -- Your choice?"

"Number one."

Megatron stood up and allowed Starscream to stand.

"You start now."

"Now, but ...."

"Start now, or die now."

"All right, all right ... " grumbled Starscream, sulkily walking away to begin the production of the new Decepticon space cruiser.

Megatron smiled slyly. "At least he won't sabotage it - something he's going to spend so much time on."

Megatron walked to Soundwave.

"Are you feeling all right?"

"Yes."

Megatron smiled. "Starscream was responsible for the sabotage."

"Did you destroy him?"

"Almost" replied Megatron, "but Apart from being ruthless and merciless, a Decepticon leader must also be practical. I figured Starscream would be more useful alive, rather than dead, to construct a new space cruiser and I hate to admit it, but he is rather valuable to our cause. And listening to him beg for mercy is fun..."

Soundwave smiled.

"Starscream," Megatron said, "before you start construction of the space cruiser, I want you to repair the space bridge."

"But I didn't sabotage that ..... I-"

"Sure. Do it now."

"But ...."

"I said -- Do it now --"

Megatron pointed his fusion cannon directly at Starscream's head.

"I ..... uh didn't say I wouldn't, Megatron ..... sure .... I'll do it ...."

Starscream began to repair the space bridge. He felt like sabotaging it, but knew it would be too risky.

He finished in a short time, as the sabotage he had rigged wasn't too complicated.

"Set the co-ordinates for Cybertron" ordered Megatron.

Starscream did so.

"Now, begin production of the space cruiser. And be quick about it."

"Yes, Megatron ....." grunted Starscream.

Megatron asked, his voice dripping with sarcasm, "you're not going to sabotage it, are you?"

Starscream glowered. "No, Megatron."

"Have you anything else to say?"

"Three bags full, Megatron" Starscream said under his breath, walking off. His face showed only rage. "Someday, Megatron, someday ....." he whispered. "I will have my revenge....."

"How will we modify the weapon Shockwave has?" Soundwave asked.

"I'm going to tell him to destroy it."

"Why?"

"It's an old model. Useless."

"But didn't Shockwave say if we modified-"

"Yes."

There was a short silence.

"Soundwave, I trust you not to tell anyone or think wrong of me when I say this. I cannot bring myself to use that weapon on Optimus Prime after what he did for us today."

Soundwave nodded respectively.

"And besides, we can stay in my old headquarters on Cybertron. It's a great excuse to get away from it all."

Soundwave smiled. "I always said you needed a vacation."

Megatron smiled too as he activated the Space Bridge.

 

*

  Back to Decepticon Page

 

Back to Transformers Page