Disclaimers: Saint George (Lucasfilm) crated the Star Wars Universe.  Lucasfilm owned by Disney. George Lucas created the Star Wars Universe. Movies by 20th Century Fox/Disney. I make no Republic Datari {Credits}, Peggats, Truguts, Wupiupi, etc from my fanfic/fanart/fanfunnies.  Story written purely for enjoyment and the only profit I make is the happiness my writing brings.   The Force is With You Always :)

 

 

Summary:  Reluctantly and through very odd and dire circumstances, Darth Maul helps Qui-Gon bring peace to two worlds.  AU.

 

 

Rating PG

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

DELIVERANCE

 

 

 

    "Master, are you sure about this?" the young apprentice asked, his face knotted with concern.

    "Yes, Obi-Wan.  Absolutely.  If I do not do this, all these peoples hopes for peace will be lost."

    "But Master, what if something goes wrong?..."

    "It can’t.  Millions of lives depend on it."

    "But there's a possibility."

    "There's always a possibility, Obi-Wan, but let us not dwell of the negative.  I must do this."

    "Master, it's dangerous."

    "I know, but my decision is final."

    "Yes, Master.  You know I only raised my concerns because I ..."

Qui-Gon smiled, as he lay down on the bed.  "I know, Obi-Wan.  I would do the same in your position."

Obi-Wan held his Master’s hand and smiled warmly.

 

*   *   *

 

    "The operation was successful," the royal doctor announced.

Obi-Wan sighed inwardly with relief.

    "Give your Master plenty of rest, good food and water."

The young Padawan nodded.  "I'll take good care of him."

    "I'm sure you will," the Jedi Master said, with a smile.

    "Are you feeling all right?" the doctor asked, concerned.

    "A little tired, but otherwise, fine."

    "Good.  Now you must away at once to Shapura Prime.  Everything depends

on this.  I am sorry that we cannot afford time for you to rest."

  “I can rest on the way,” Qui-Gon said. Obi-Wan helped him from the bed.

    “Thank you, Jedi Master.  You will be hailed a hero and a King.”

Qui-Gon smiled warmly and took the doctor’s hand.  “I wish only to save the people of both worlds and the babe.”

The doctor took the older man’s hand.  Qui-Gon squeezed it gently, before he left with Obi-Wan. 

 

On the way to the shuttle, the Jedi Master frowned slightly.

    "Master?"

    "It's nothing, I'm fine ..." 

But Qui-Gon couldn't shake the feeling that things weren't going to go according to plan.

 

And they did not.  No sooner had they reached their shuttle, Sith lord,

Darth Maul decided to make his presence known.  Both Jedi ignited their

lightsabres and clashed with him.  Obi-Wan deathly worried for his Master and his charge, though Qui-Gon held his own, despite his discomfort.  The Sith bashed Padawan with a savage blow from the hilt of his lightsabre.  Qui-Gon gave Obi-Wan a worried glance, grateful he was only knocked out and he fought on, his main focus on what was at stake.  Maul kicked him to the floor and knocked the weapon from his hands.  Qui-Gon reached out with the Force to retrieve it and

almost lost his life in the process as Maul swiped his sabre.  The Jedi Master fell to the floor and backed off.  Maul raised his lightstaff for the killing blow.

    "NO!"

Maul stopped and smiled.  "Is that fear I smell, Jedi?"

    "It isn't for me," Qui-Gon said, allowing Maul to sense. “Please.”

The Sith looked at the Jedi, somewhat surprised.  "You are withchild?" he

asked, incredulous.

Qui-Gon nodded.  "It is a long story, but I must deliver this baby to Shapura Prime."

    "What care have I for your plight?"

    "Consider it my last request.  Afterwards you can kill me."

    "I can kill you right now.  A request is just that.  It can be denied."

Qui-Gon’s eyes burned into the others.   "Don't make me beg, because I will.  There's too much at stake here to be destroyed by pride."

The Sith looked impressed.  "Very well, Jedi.   I shall take accompany you to

Shapura Prime, aboard my infiltrator - to ensure you do not endeavour to escape."  He disengaged his lightsabre.

  "Thank you..." Qui-Gon breathed.

With an effort, Qui-Gon stood and had to be steadied by Darth Maul.

    "I do this only because I respect you, if only a little and I have no quarrel with these worlds or the unborn babe."

Qui-Gon chuckled softly.  "I believe that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

Maul grunted as he lead Qui-Gon aboard.

    "Do not try anything foolish."

    "All right.  I won't sing in the shower."

Maul smiled mirthlessly.  "Humour is often used to mask fear."

  "That's all you think about isn't it?  You really ought to get out more.  Now I'm going to rest."

Maul glared at him.  "You do not know where the rest room is."

    "Then would you be so kind?"

The Sith grunted and reluctantly showed the Jedi Master to the rest room.

    "Thank you."

Qui-Gon lay on the bed.

   "Is there anything else you require?  A massage perhaps?" Maul asked asked, terse and through his blackened teeth 

  "Just a glass of water."

At this point Maul was just about boiling over, but forced himself to stay calm. In but a few days he would kill the Jedi Master and hunt down his Padawan.

It was well worth the wait.  He returned with a glass of cool water.

    "Anything else?" Maul asked, glaring darkly at the Jedi.

    "No thank you."

Qui-Gon curled up and went to sleep.  The Sith shook his head.  The Force was indeed trying him.

 

*   *   *

 

Obi-Wan tried to calm himself, but didn't do a very good job, though he put on a brave face as he spoke to Princess Milya.   She forced herself to remain calm as the young Jedi told her what had occurred.

   "My Master is alive," he assured, himself as much as the Princess.  "I can sense him."

    "The baby?"

   "In truth I can't be sure, but I would have felt my Master's distress if anything had happened."

Milya looked somewhat relieved, though worry etched her face..

    "If our baby dies, so will all hopes for peace," Prince Evanin said, gravely.

    "I know," Obi-Wan replied gravely.  "My Master will not let that happen."

In truth he did not know what was going to happen.  When he reached out to the Force, all he sensed was fog.

 

*   *   *

 

    "So ... " Maul began to say.

    "How did I become pregnant?" Qui-Gon said, sensing the Sith's question.

"Curious, ah?"

Maul’s silence clearly said he was … and the Jedi Master began.

    "Milya, Princess of Etharia fell pregnant almost nine months ago to Prince Evanin."

    "Is he not the son of Alabastor, ruler of Skoria, sworn enemy of Etharia?"

    "Yes.  They fell in love when he was captured on Etharia.  They hoped

their bonding would bring peace to their worlds.  A peace conference is

being held as we speak on neutral Shapura Prime."

    "But that does not explain why you-"

    "In the final stages of the pregnancy, the Princess fell ill with an infectious

fever. Should fever have reached the baby, it would have been stillborn.

They searched for a compatible host to carry the baby to term."

    "And that was you."

    "Yes, strange though it may seem."

Qui-Gon sensed Maul was still curious.

    "I can sense the child," he said, "and feel it, though it is pretty

calm."  Qui-Gon touched his side where the baby slept.

    "I hate you, Jedi."

    "What else is new?"

    "You're pregnant and you're still not fat."

Qui-Gon smiled.

 

*   *   *

 

  "You're eating like a bantha," Maul huffed.

  "I am eating for two if you don't mind," Qui-Gon replied. "This baby

needs all the nutrients it can get ... and I don't suppose you have Iegan

strawberry chocolate?"

    "No.  So sorry."  Maul forced a smile.

    "Damn these cravings."

 

 

The next day passed rather uneventfully.   Qui-Gon rolled over in his

sleep, then awoke.  He did not want to sleep on his left side should he

inadvertently harm the babe.  He sat up in bed and stretched, then

vomited.  Fortunately a bucket had been placed by the bedside.

    "I'd heard pregnant ... wome ... err ... people get morning sickness, and so I took precautions.  I do not want to have to clean up after you.”

But Qui-Gon sensed a little concern when Maul entered his quarters.

    "Thank you."  Qui-Gon vomited again, then composed himself, climbed form the bed and began to walk out of the room.

    "Where are you going?" Maul demanded.

    "To have a shower and wash my clothes that is if you don't mind."

    "As long as you don't sing, Jedi - then I'll have to kill you, baby or not."

Qui-Gon smiled.  "Oh, don't worry about that."

 

Maul showed him to the shower room.

  "I need to use the water setting. I wouldn't want to use a sonic shower

on such a fragile babe."

  "I have never used the water setting," Maul said.

  "You don't know what you're missing."  Qui-Gon stepped into the room and

closed the door.  He was pleasantly surprised and relieved to see a small

bath receptacle beneath the shower and ran himself a warm bath as he placed

his clothes in the cleaner.

    "We're going to have a nice warm bath," Qui-Gon said to the baby, gently stroking his side, slowly lowering himself into the tub, sighing as he did so, he felt his body relax, as he submerged beneath the water.  "Ohh …feels good, doesn't it?"  The Jedi Master sighed again, as he removed his hair tie, submerged himself beneath the water and began to wash his long hair, realising this may be the last bath he ever had.

 

*   *   *

 

    "Take us with you," the Princess demanded.

Obi-Wan was in no mood to be badgered by royalty, though he sensed

Milya's demand was out of desperation and he nodded. 

  "Come on, we haven't any time to waste."

Relieved and grateful princess Milya and Prince Evanin boarded the shuttle.

 

Obi-Wan calibrated his shuttle to follow the ion particle train of Maul's infiltrator which he had guessed was en route to Shapura Prime.  He could only hope his Master had convinced the Sith to take him there as a last request and if he had anything to do with it – Obi-Wan would not let Maul have his victory.

 

*   *   *

 

Slowly, Qui-Gon emerged from the bathtub and winced slightly.  Although the bath was refreshing, he was still quite tired as he retrieved his now clean clothes

And donned them, feeling clean and refreshed as he emerged from the room.

    "You took your time," Maul complained.

    "Since it may be my last bath, I wanted to savour the moment."   Qui-Gon

began to walk back to the rest room and had to steady himself on the wall.

    "Jedi?"

    "You care? I'm touched."

Maul grunted.

    "I'm fine," Qui-Gon said.  "Nothing a little rest won't cure."

Maul left the Jedi to it.

 

Qui-Gon climbed into the bed, and centred himself, though he felt something

was not quite right.  He forced himself to sleep.

 

 

Sometime during the night the Jedi Master awoke, feeling pains in his side.

    "No ..."

He took a breath and calmed himself and called out with the Force to the only one who could help him now.

Maul.  I need your help.  Now.

 

The Sith lord came to him, annoyed and obvious that he'd awoken from his slumber.  "Can't walk to the food unit anymore?" he jeered.

    "It's time," Qui-Gon said softly.

Maul looked at him, blankly. "Time for what?"

    "You know precisely what."

    "What ..." Maul pretended he had not understood.

    "You heard.  It's time."

The Sith shook his head.  "No ...  No … No!  ... We're still a day and a half from Shapura Prime…"

    "It's time."

    "It cannot be."

    "It is."

The Sith swore.

  "Watch that negative tone," Qui-Gon scalded.  "Babies are very susceptible to energy."

Maul grunted.   "Can it not wait?"

    "No.   Whether we want it to or not, this baby wants to come out now."

Maul shook his head.  "How?  It can't very well come out the traditional way."

   "No … That would be rather ... awkward."

Qui-Gon spoke calmly.  "You're going to have to do it."

Maul stared at him.  "What! Are you out of your mind?!  How in the Universe am I supposed to-"

    "Use your lightsabre."

    "You can't very well be serious!"

    "All right, use my lightsabre - but this baby has to be removed and we're

running out of time."

    "And how am I supposed to do it?"

    "I'll guide you."

    "With a lightsabre in your innards?"

    "The Force will nullify the pain if I concentrate.  Maul, please … we have to hurry."

The Sith shook his head.  "I cannot believe you're even asking me to do this."

    "Believe me - if there was any other way ..."

Maul shook his head once more.  “I…”

    "It's not like you haven't cut people open with that thing before.”

    "There's a difference between maiming people and surgery, Jedi!"

    "Surgeons maim people, they just do it with precision and sew them back

up afterwards."

    "That's a big difference!"

    "I thought you'd enjoy the sight of blood, particularly mine, and you don't even have to sew me back up afterwards, just ensure the baby is cleaned, kept warm and taken to Shapura Prime."

    "Is that all you care about?"

    "I do not want to die, Maul if that's what you're asking, but what choice have I? Millions of lives are at stake, not to mention an innocent, unborn child. Now are you going to do it or must I struggle to do it myself?"

    "I'll do it." Maul spoke quietly after a pause.

    "Thank you.  Now fetch some fresh linen and a receptacle of warm water for

the baby."

Maul grumbled softly, but did as he was asked as Qui-Gon prepared himself.  The Jedi Master closed his eyes and called on the Living Force.

 

Maul returned with some linen and small metal container, filled with warm

water, big enough to bathe a babe.

    "Are you ready?"

Slowly, Qui-Gon nodded and closed his eyes.

 

*   *   *

 

Obi-Wan felt a ripple in the Force.  He sensed his Master's life force,

though something was not right.  If he could increase speed, he would, but

he was already at maximum.  He tried to contact Qui-Gon through the force,

but he received no answer.  The young Jedi forced himself to remain calm as

his shuttle raced through space.   He was grateful both Prince and Princess

had fallen asleep.  He felt deeply for them, but their worries only worried him further.

 

*   *   *

 

Qui-Gon indicated where Maul was to start.  The Sith unhinged his second

blade.

    "Decrease your blade length to four inches, and decrease sabre strength to half,” he instructed, “otherwise you'll harm the baby."

Maul did so, initially believing it was too short.  "Are you sure you are ready for this?"

Qui-Gon took a breath and nodded, lying back.  "I have to be.  Now Insert the tip of the blade here” he indicated and cut a semi circle with a seven inch radius."

Ever so slowly, Maul began. Qui-Gon felt the blade, and breathed slowly, thankful to the Living Force, shielding him from pain.

   "Now slowly, peel back the skin."

The Sith did as Qui-Gon told him.  For some reason, seeing the Jedi's blood and innards did not delight him.

    "Now gently part the internal organs, the baby is behind them."

Maul began to do so.  Qui-Gon began to lose consciousness, but forced himself to remain awake.

The operation took a while before Maul saw the baby's face.   "I see it,"

he said.   "It is so small..." He wished he hadn't said that aloud. 

How the surgeons of Etharia had performed this operation in the first place was a wonder in itself.

    "Now, very carefully, remove the baby and cut the cord.  When the baby is fully removed, slowly place the child in the warm water.  Do not submerge the head."

    "I wasn't planning on drowning it after all this."

Qui-Gon smiled and he chuckled softly.  His body began to feel very tired, but again he forced himself to remain awake.

Maul's hands began to shake.  He didn't think he'd ever been so gentle in his entire life.  He still couldn't believe he was performing this operation, as he ever so carefully removed the babe from Qui-Gon's body and cut the cord with the shortened lightsabre blade, then disengaged it.

The babe barely fit in his hands.

    "Congratulations, Jedi, it's  ... it's ... erhh ... I do not know what it is."

Qui-Gon smiled and spoke weakly from fatigue.  "Etharian and Skorian babies

are born androgynous.  It will be a few days before the baby's sex is known."

Maul slowly placed the babe into the warm water.  When he heard the baby

start to wail softly, Qui-Gon smiled and lost consciousness.  Maul bathed the babe, dried it and placed it in a cloth, one he used to clean the hilt of his lightsabre and placed the baby.  He looked to the sleeping Jedi with mixed feelings.

 

 

At several times during the night, Maul checked upon the baby, now sleeping, thankfully.

 

 

Qui-Gon awoke the following morning, surprised he awoke at all.  He

looked at the operation site, scarred, but together.

    "The baby is fine," Maul said, sensing the Jedi waking.

    "So am I by the looks of it.  I thought you planned to leave me to die."

    "So did I."

    "So what went wrong?  Not that I'm complaining."

    "You are not like the other Jedi,” Maul started.

    "That goes without saying."

    "You cared nothing but the safety of your Padawan, this child and peace

between these two worlds and you were willing to risk your life for it."

    "And you think Jedi rush around the galaxy like cowboys for our egos?"

Maul said nothing.

    "Thank you," Qui-Gon said.

    "There is nothing to thank me for."

    "It would have been rather awkward for me to do the operation myself."

    "You seem to have forgotten if I had not interfered, this need not have

happened."

    "Not feeling guilty are you?"

Maul gave Qui-Gon a look.  "I was merely raising a point.  I did not repair

you because I felt anything for you, Jedi."

    "Gods forbid."

Maul stifled a smile.  "I did it because I respect you."

    "Thank you."

    “Do you think they’ll name the baby after you?”

Qui-Gon chuckled, sensing Maul’s humour was masking his discomfort – these feelings did not come easy for him.

  “Actually it’s royal tradition on both Etharia and Skoria that the baby is named in honour of the parents.  If he becomes a boy, he’s named father his mother,”

  “And a girl is named after her father,” Maul understood.

  “It is belived that this balances the masculine and the feminine.  Prince Evanin was named after his mother, Queen Evalia and Princess Milya was named after her father, King Milian.”

 

 

*   *   *

 

Obi-Wan's shuttle arrived half an hour before Maul's.  Relieved, he sensed

his Master's life force, although somewhat weak.  He was prepared to kill

the Sith, though not in anger.  He would not betray his Master's teachings.

 

Qui-Gon emerged from Maul's ship, looking a little worse for wear.  He held the tiny babe in his strong, but gentle hands.  Obi-Wan lowered his lightsabre in disbelief.  Princess Milya and Prince Evanin rushed to Qui-Gon, unable to contain their joy. The Princess did not hold back her tears as she gently took her baby from the Jedi Master.  Prince Evanin tried to, but failed.

    "Ohh thank you ... you have saved our people ... our world  … our beautiful baby …"

The Jedi Master smiled gently.  "Your love saved your people.  I just helped you along your journey."

Gently the Princess embraced him.  “But if it w sot for your help, we could not have

She saw a dark figure standing in the shadows inside the ship and approached him.    "Despite your initial intentions, Darth Maul, I sense you had a played large part in the survival of my baby."  She bowed.  “I thank you.  We shall build statues of you all in our town squares as gratitude."

    "That's not necessary," Qui-Gon said.

    "Why not?" Maul asked.

The Jedi Master gave him a look, then smiled.  Reluctantly, Maul accompanied the party to the chambers to continue the peace talks.

 

    "Behold our child," Milya said, holding her baby, standing next to

Evanin.  "Born between the love of our peoples.  We cannot continue to hate

and kill.  We will destroy each other.  We almost lost our only hope for peace – and behold, he lives today because sworn enemies, the Jedi and the Sith set aside their differences.  Can we not do the same?”

Maul shifted uncomfortably.  Qui-Gon wiped a tear form his cheek.  Obi-Wan smiled.

 Prince Evanin continued.  “The only way to heal the past is with love.  Should our baby become a Prince, he will be known as Milliardo. Should she become a Princess, her name will be Evannia."

 

  "I helped save two worlds," Maul said to Qui-Gon, still not quite

believing it.  "If my Master finds out he will kill me."

    "So don't tell him," Qui-Gon said.

    "So what am I going to tell him?"

    "You'll think of something."

The Sith gave a small smile.  "Jedi..." he began to say.

    "Next time we meet we'll be enemies?"

Maul gave a nod.  "Did you expect anything else?"

  "No.  The last few days the Jedi and Sith worked in peace.  It was nice,

if only for a moment."

Maul left without another word, though Qui-Gon sensed his deep respect..

 

 

Obi-Wan came to his Master.

    "You're so tired, you're about to collapse."

    "Tell me about it."

The young Jedi took his Master's hand.  "When I came to and you weren't

there... I sensed you, but I was so worried."

    "I would have felt the same had it been you."

    "So how did you ... the baby ..."

    "It's a long story, Obi-Wan."

    "I'd a feeling you were going to say that.  It's a long trip back to Coruscant."

Qui-Gon smiled. "I'll tell you after I've rested."

The two Jedi began to walk together.

    "I feel grateful we've saved these worlds, Master, despite the Councils

misgivings.  No one deserves to live on a war torn world."

Qui-Gon nodded.

 

 

The Jedi said their goodbyes to the Princess and Prince.

    "We will be ever grateful for your help.  Forever will the Jedi and Sith

be known as the peacebringers to our world."

Qui-Gon smiled somewhat sadly. Perhaps one day the Jedi and the Sith would find that peace.   "Thank you.  Your planets will be in our hearts always."

 

*   *   *

 

  "Would you care to explain this?" Darth Sidious asked, flashing a data

pad into Maul's face.

With a sense of dread, Maul read the letter, thanking him profusely for saving Etharia and Skoria, by way of assisting to save the Prince and Princess' baby, the Prince Milliardo.

   "No," Maul said quickly.

Sidious folded his arms.  "I demand an explanation!"

Maul swallowed.  "... It was an experiment."

   "An experiment."

   “Yes.  We spend so much of our time destroying worlds, controlling them

... I ... I wanted to see what it felt like to ... save one ... or two..."

 Sidious glowered.   "And what did it feel like?"

    "It felt rather ... strange, Master."  Maul hoped the older Sith left it at that, but alas, he did not.

    "Strange? In a good or a bad way?"

Maul did not answer.  Sidious glared at him.

  "What has that Jedi done to you?"

 

*   *   *

 

  "I can't believe this!! ... You let him operate on you? ... But what if

he had ..."

    "He didn't, Obi-Wan."

    "You trusted him?"

    "I trusted him enough to keep to his word and help the babe and I trusted the Living Force."

The young Padawan let out an audible sigh.   "That's the last time I let

you talk me into this."

    "As I recall I've only ever been pregnant once."

    "And it's the first and final time.  I won't let you talk me into anything like this again."  The young Padawan said with a smile, shaking his head.  "That is until the next time you drag me kicking and screaming to some obscure world that needs rescuing."

Qui-Gon chuckled, but then spoke seriously.  "Obi-Wan, we saved two worlds.  Would you rather they stay at war, perhaps for many more years, many millions of people, including children … dying in acts of senseless violence?"

    "No, of course not, Master, but I almost lost you."

Gently Obi-Wan embraced him. 

Qui-Gon placed his arms around his Padawan.  "But you didn't.  Trust in the

Living Force, Obi-Wan.  Even if I had perished, I would never leave you."

Obi-Wan held Qui-Gon tightly.   "I know, Master."

Qui-Gon gently kissed his Padawan's forehead as the two parted. 

  "How much time have we before we must return to Coruscant?" Obi-Wan asked.

    "We've barely a moment to lose, Master.   We're long overdue as it is and you know how Master Windu hates to be kept waiting."

    "Well, as he knows full well, hate leads to the Dark Side and I'm afraid we're going to have to keep him waiting a little while longer."

    "Master?

    "We're going to be fashionably late ... We're taking a detour to Iego."

    "Iego? But That’ll delay us over a week!  What will we tell the council?”

    “We will tell them we have to make an essential detour to the fourth moon of Iego.”

    "But Master, whatever for?"

    "Strawberry chocolate."

 

*

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Qui~Gon Page