Disclaimer:  Knight Rider was created by Glen A. Larson.

 

Summary:   KITT is melancholy

 

Rating PG  - Drama

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

KNIGHT RIDER

 

DEAD OF KNIGHT

 

 

KITT waited in the parking lot on tenterhooks.  He opened a channel when Bonnie called.

  "Kitt, he's going to be all right."

Her voice was like a Goddess.  "Ohh thank goodness."  KITT made no attempt to hide his utter relief.  "Thank you, Bonnie."

  "My pleasure, we were all so worried, including you.  He's still pretty weak from the gunshot wound, but luckily it missed all his vitals."

  "I'm so relived."

  "We all are, Kitt."

  "I'm glad we caught the thug," KITT said, "but if Michael had died, I don't know what I'd do."

  "Let's hope we never have to find out."

  "Touché, Bonnie."

 

 

  "I told you to be careful," KITT scalded gently as Michael limped out of hospital.

  "I know I should have listened to you. That was too close, Kitt."

  "You're telling me.  If I had nerves they'd be shot to Hades by now."

Knight climbed inside the black Trans-Am.

  "Where to, Michael?"

  "Away from here."

  "You don't have to tell me twice.  Next to police impounds I hate waiting in hospital parking lots."

  "Sorry I scared you, Kitt."

  "Scared?  Terrified more like."

Knight smiled.  "Sorry, Kitt."

  "It's all right.  You're forgiven."

  "Thank you."

KITT was silent for a while before he spoke.

  "Michael…" KITT stopped.

  "Yeah, what is it, Kitt?"

  "When you were shot, I faced the possibility of never seeing you again.  Not a pleasant possibility at all.  I don't know what I'd do without you, Michael.  You're my partner as well as my closest friend."

  "Thanks, Kitt."

  "But what if you did die, Michael?"

  "Let's not even go there, Kitt."

  "I'd rather not, but when I was waiting for you in the parking lot, it occurred to me that you are going to die."

  "Let's not be too optimistic here."

  "No, Michael.  You *are* going to die.  Either by the sword, as they say, or the slow decay of time.  Same with Bonnie, Devon .. everyone I've ever known … ever cared about … ever loved … and I can't stand the thought."

  "Kitt this conversation is depressing."

  "You're telling me.  I cannot grow old with you, Michael."

  "We got quite a few years in us yet, Buddy."

  "I know, but I wish it could always be like that."

  "Nothin' lasts forever, Kitt."

  "I know, Michael, but sometimes I wish it could."

 "Kitt, there's something you're not tellin' me."

  "I'm afraid, Michael. What will happen to me?  To us?  I'm terrified of being alone."

Michael gave KITT a sympathetic look.  "Kitt, you never told me."

  "I thought you'd just brush me off."

  "Kitt, you're my friend, you can tell me anything.  You're still on the death thing aren't you?"

  "I'm afraid so, Michael."

  "Kitt I don't want to die either, but they say that death isn't the end all of everything."

  "Do you believe that?"

  "I'm not sure what I believe, but I do believe that death is a part of life."

  "So you think there may be a light at the end of the tunnel so to speak."

  "Somethin' like that.  Hey, what say we stop up at the corner bistro about two miles up ahead and I get me a Greek lamb kebab and you one of those fancy new laser washes at the station across the street?"

  "Sounds good to me, Michael.  Laser wash sounds invigorating."

  "Speak for yourself.  I sure wish you could taste, KITT.  I've heard the kebabs they make there are nothing short of fantastic."

  "If I were human I think I'd be vegetarian."

  "That's just like you, Kitt," Michael said with a smile. "And no more of this death talk, okay?  It's up to us to live our lives to the fullest."

 "You said it, Michael."

  "And, Kitt I don't know what I'd do without you either.  In any case I promise I'll never leave you."

  "Thank you, Michael, nor I you.  And you take care of yourself."

   "I always do."

  "Liar."

Knight chuckled as his friend cruised into the night.

 

 

*

 

 

Received 1 vote in the 2005 Edward Awards for  "Best Short Story"

 

                        1 vote for  "Best Canon Fic"

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Knight Rider Page