Disclaimers:  Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

 

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic

 

Summary:  A story about inner courage starring Starscream, Bumblebee and Optimus Prime.  (Formerly entitled The Courage and Truth Within)

 

Author’s note:  The Decepticon Doctor, Jephfath, created by Seawave.

 

 

Rating - PG

 

~~~~~~

 

IF I KNEW MY ENEMY

 

 

 

For Rosemary, Chris, Bumblebee & Starscream

 

 

"Let it take you beyond the boundaries of what you thought impossible."

 

 

 

The latest battle had taken its toll.  There were many casualties on both sides and considerable damage to Autobot headquarters.

  "What a mess...." sighed Wheeljack, surveying the damage.  "It'll take two weeks at least."

  "At least there were no fatalities," Optimus Prime said, holding his injured arm.  "We must repair our injured and the damage to our force-shield and security systems before the Decepticons have time to recover and launch another attack - then we can worry about the rest of the mess."

  "We gave them a good licking - they took a fair beating," Wheeljack said, "but then, so did we.  They'll be up and running soon enough - and they don't have a busted up headquarters to repair."

Optimus Prime nodded.  "We're going to need everyone's help on this - otherwise the Decepticons'll surely take advantage of our weakened state."

  "You can bet on that."

  "Let me take a look at that," Ratchet said, coming to Optimus and inspecting his wounded arm.

  "Forget it, Ratchet," Optimus said, gently.  "It's minor.  My automatic repair systems will take care of it.  The others need your help more than I do, but thanks."

Ratchet smiled.  "All right then, but after all this, it's R & R for you - and no heavy lifting for a couple of days at least."

Optimus smiled for the first time since before the battle.  "Yes, Doctor."

 

Bumblebee was fortunate not to have been one of those seriously injured in the attack.  He spent a minimal amount of time attending to his bruises and scratches and was eager and ready to help in no time in any way he could.  He knew he couldn't help Ratchet, First Aid and Hoist repair the badly damaged - he wasn't a doctor and besides, too many in the Repair bay would do more harm than good.  Much of the damage to the headquarters was too high for him to reach and the replacement parts too heavy.  Bumblebee did what he could, even if he didn't think it was much.  Optimus saw him, looking very frustrated, struggling to remove a large slab of metal debris.

  "Don't strain your diodes," he said, effortlessly picking up the debris and tossing it onto the large rubbish pile.

  "Thanks," Bumblebee said, "that was starting to annoy me..." He started at another piece of debris.

  "Bumblebee..."

The little Autobot scowled when this new piece wouldn't pry loose.  Optimus dropped to one knee.

  "Bumblebee..."

The yellow Autobot looked up.

  "I know how much you want to help," Optimus said, "and you've done what you can.  I don't want you to strain or hurt yourself."

Bumblebee let the debris go and sighed.  "Sometimes I wish I was stronger .... and bigger."

Optimus smiled.  "We're all different - some things we can't change and we must be grateful for what and who we are and what we do have. Your heart, courage, spirit and determination make you strong - the inner strength in all of us."

Bumblebee smiled.  "You're right, Optimus - but some of us occasionally need a kick in the caboose to remind us."

The larger Autobot smiled.  "Go and relax," he said gently.  "Then perhaps go for a drive.  It's a lovely day."

Bumblebee nodded and smiled.  "Hint taken.  Thanks, Optimus."

The Autobot leader patted his little friend and stood.

 

Bumblebee returned to his quarters and started a water steam bath with a dew drops of essential lavender oil and various Earth substances, such as sea salt, bubbles.  It wasn't often he indulged in such a luxury - one the Transformers had picked up on Earth.  Bumblebee felt the minor pain of his diminishing bruises and scratches, starting to ease as he lowered himself into the steaming water.  He felt his joints relax and let out an audible sigh of relaxation.  He scrubbed off the little amount of dirt his body had accumulated and spent a while enjoying the peaceful relaxation.

 

After an hour and twenty minutes, Bumblebee emerged, feeling like he'd just stepped off the assembly line, refreshed, all his pain gone and he was most definitely relaxed.  He used the Automatic-dry and exited his quarters, walked to the Energon room and re-energized.

  "I feel great!" he exclaimed to himself happily and decided to take Optimus Prime's suggestion and go for a drive.  He eagerly transformed and sped off.

 

Meanwhile, at Decepticon headquarters, Megatron was in an extremely foul mood, snarling and grumbling at just about everyone.

  "I shall make the Autobots pay for this humiliation..." he snarled, whilst having his wounds attended to by Soundwave, who was quite used to Megatron's bad moods.

Megatron tried to sit up, and winced with the pain.  Soundwave gently pushed him back down again.

  "There will be time for that later," he said, as he continued to attend to his leader's wounds.  "Jephfath will be here soon."

The Decepticon leader balked at the idea of being in anything less than perfection - nevertheless, he appreciated Soundwave's treatment and concern and Soundwave knew that, even if Megatron didn't say it.

  "The Autobots must've had inside information," Megatron growled.  "Or a spy."

  "The Autobots too suffered heavy losses," Soundwave pointed out.

Megatron knew that once again, his friend was right - not that he gave a damn how much the Autobots lost.

Megatron scowled.  "It's just one of those days..." he grumbled, cross.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Out in the fresh air, Bumblebee relaxed as he cruised on the road.  The air rushing past him, his wheels on the solid ground gave him a wonderful "Earthed" feeling.  He loved earth and its people - the planet was so different from his own home world. It's a pity the Decepticons had to follow us here and bugger it up... But Bumblebee didn't want to spoil his relaxation thinking about his enemies. He turned his attention to trees.  Earth's natural wonders were so different from Cybertron's.  At times Bumblebee missed his home and had come to think of Earth, as many Autobots had, as a second home.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

  "I'm sorry, Megatron, but that's all I can give you for now," explained Jephfath, the Decepticon CMO to his grumbling leader.  "We're extremely down on energy.  There's barely enough to go around."

Soundwave looked at Megatron apologetically.

Megatron nodded.  "We must restock.  Soundwave, find out which is the nearest source of available energy."

  "I already have.  It is the Richardson Power Plant in North Pasadena, on the North American West Coast."

  "Good work.  Have the jets been repaired?"

  "Ramjet, Thrust and Dirge are still damaged.  Starscream is undergoing minor repairs, but Skywarp and Thundercracker are fully functional."

  "Get those three out there - you go with them."

  "Yes, Megatron.  However, Starscream will object."

  "I don't give a damn," Megatron growled.

 

As Soundwave had predicted, Starscream just had to put in his two Energon chips worth.

  "My back and afterburners still smart - and my legs feel like I've run to one end of the galaxy and back again - get someone else," he snapped.

  "These are Megatron's orders," Soundwave stated, bland, holding his ground.

  "I don't suppose he's going to get off his ass?"

Soundwave glared daggers at him.

  "Okay ... okay ...." Starscream gave in, uneasily - and most reluctantly.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Bumblebee was quite enjoying his leisurely drive.  He'd spent two days away.  He'd driven down to the beach - and a little girl had called him 'Herbie, and he'd smiled.  He'd driven on the road and was given a free full tank of petrol and a tune up by a friendly service station owner.

 

It was nearing dusk for the second time now and Bumblebee thought of his friends back at Autobot headquarters and decided to return home and drove along the coastline.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Starscream grumbled all the way to Pasadena.

  "He's worse than a whiny Earth child," Skywarp silently radioed to Thundercracker.

  "I know what you mean, Sky," Thundercracker radioed back.  "I've seen people on those pathetic Earth talk shows with more interesting things to say."

  "You can say that again, Thunder!"

Soundwave, in tape deck mode, inside Starscream, mildly amused at the secret radio transmissions he'd tuned into.

Thundercracker radioed Skywarp again.  "I'd rather be taking a whole bunch of whiny Earth children shopping than listening to-"

  "What are you two radioing about?" Starscream demanded, detecting the transmissions.

Thundercracker immediately cut communication, inwardly sighing with relief that Starscream hadn't tuned in.

  "It wouldn't be about me, would is, fellas?" Starscream pushed.

  "No, Starscream," Thundercracker lied.

  "We just-" Skywarp began.

  "Save it," Starscream said, disdainfully, weakly, and really not interested.  Sore, angry and tired, the only thing on his mind was getting the blasted energy and returning home to Decepticon headquarters, recharging and flopping down on his resting ledge.

 

  "There it is ..." Starscream breathed, as they came up on the Richardson Power Plant. "At last ..."

  "What's the matter, Screamers?" Skywarp teased.  "Flight too rough for ya?  Ya must be gettin' old, Starscream...."

  "Shut up, Skywarp!" Starscream snarled viciously, firing a warning shot across the black jet's nosecone.

  "Ooh!"  Skywarp blasted back near him.

Starscream wasn't bothered to fire back.  He didn't want to waste any more of his diminishing energy on Skywarp.  "Follow me," he growled, as he advanced toward their destination.

  "I'm detecting an Autobot Sky-Spy," Skywarp said suddenly.

  "Destroy it," Starscream ordered.

  "Yes Sir!" Skywarp said with sarcastic enthusiasm, as he targeted the small satellite and launched a heat seeking missile, which collided with its target, blowing it out of the sky.  "Shove that up y' exhaust pipes, Autobots!"

 

Starscream and the other Decepticons transformed.  He didn't pay any attention to the negligible resistance from the humans - he barely felt the blasts.  Soundwave jammed the humans transmissions.

  "Soundwave, the Energon cubes."

Soundwave provided the empty clear cubes from his chest compartment, while the humans ran frantically about.

  "Quickly," Soundwave said to the others.  "We must gather enough energy before any Autobots arrive."

One of the humans blasted Starscream in a tender spot in his elbow.  Starscream winced, spun around and blasted the human's large weapon.

  "You'll pay for that!" he spat, furious.

He would have succeeded in blasting the human as well, if a colleague hadn't pushed the human out of the way.  Starscream grunted and turned to the others, realizing it would not go down well if he lost control and he forgot entirely about the human.

The Decepticons gathered quite a few Energon cubes.  The human owner and manager of the Plant, Mr. Richardson, had secured his daughter and was running about, quite frantic and swearing most impressively.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

As Bumblebee neared Pasadena, he thought the people looked panicked and realized they were.  Both curious and wanting to help, he neared the source of the panic.  At first he thought it may be a riot or a big crime something.  I wish the humans would learn to live in peace with each other, he thought sadly.

As he approached the source of the danger, Bumblebee couldn't help feeling a sense of dread.  It can't be that bad.... he forced himself to believe.

 

  "Hurry up!" Starscream snapped.

Skywarp and Thundercracker glared laser beams at him, ready to throttle him, the only things preventing them was the urgency of their mission and they were too low on energy to waste it on him.  Skywarp helped the others condense the Energon cubes.

 

With a shock, Bumblebee saw just what - or who, rather the humans were going crazy about.

  "Decepticons!!"

Before he could transform or radio for assistance, Soundwave blasted him and took out his communications.  Starscream spun around and snarled viciously at Bumblebee.

  "Filthy Autobot...." he spat, abandoning his stack of Energon cubes and blasting at Bumblebee.  He knew he only had a limited amount of energy - and if he spent it in engaging his weapons, he might not have enough to get back to Decepticon headquarters, but he didn't care.  "You'll never leave here alive!" he screamed, transforming into his F-15 jet fighter mode and released his cluster bombs.

Bumblebee reversed, but not quite in time.  The bombs exploded.  The Autobot was thrown quite a way back, hurt.  He transformed into his robot mode and tried to escape.  He knew he couldn't win.  Meanwhile, Soundwave radioed Megatron.  Bumblebee lay on the ground, hurt and helpless.

Starscream, up in the air, fired at him.  He blamed the Autobots for his pain and current condition - and everything else that pissed him off recently.  He was about to end Bumblebee's misery with one final fury from his remaining cluster bombs.

  "Do not harm him," ordered Megatron's voice over his radio.

  "WHAT?!"

  "I said-"

  "I heard you the first time.  Have you flipped?!  Did the Autobots fry your logic circuits too in the last battle?"

  "Shut up, Starscream!" Megatron snapped.  "Do not harm that Autobot."

  "Fat chance."  Starscream ignored his leader and readied his bombs to fire.

  "Soundwave," Megatron's voice, now calm, came over the tape deck's communicator, "shoot him."

Starscream dodged Soundwave's first blast.  "Okay!  Okay!" he exclaimed, narrowly avoiding Soundwave's second one.  He grunted, then transformed.

  "Thank you, Starscream, for obeying your Leader..." Megatron said - there was no mistaking the sarcasm.  "The Autobot could be useful."

Although quite relieved, Bumblebee didn't want to find out just what Megatron had in store for him - he was sure it wouldn't be pleasant.

Starscream calmed himself, but still felt fatigued and very cranky.  He transformed and flew down to the other Decepticons.  Thundercracker flew to Bumblebee and picked him up. Personally he couldn't see the point in attacking one small Autobot so savagely, but of course he couldn't say anything.  "Let's get back."

The four Decepticons left with Bumblebee and the Energon cubes they'd gathered.

 

The foursome arrived back at Decepticon headquarters, grateful to have had enough energy to make it that far. The cubes were unloaded in the Energon room.

 

Jephfath had repaired Megatron's wounds, but he was still a little sore in parts.  He suggested that he rest for another day at least, but Megatron wouldn't hear of it.  Jephfath handed him an Energon cube.  Megatron drank it, silently grateful to be able to replenish is fast diminishing energies.

Megatron stood, walked out of the repair bay and confronted Soundwave, Skywarp, Thundercracker and Starscream.  Inwardly, he was angry that they'd taken longer than he'd anticipated, but knew in their weakened state, it couldn't be helped.

  "Good work," he said, inwardly relieved that the Autobots hadn't foiled their efforts.  "Take that Autobot to a prison cell until I'm ready for him.  Dismissed."

Bumblebee tried to struggle away, but couldn't.  The Decepticons left.

  "Starscream...." Megatron's voice was low.

Starscream winced - he knew he was in or an earful.  He'd been dreading this moment. Great.  As if I don't have enough worries .... He turned around. 

Megatron waited until the others had gone.  "You dare disobey another of my orders..." his voice was no longer low.

  "He was an Autobot - okay, so I was out of line.  Shoot me."

  "Don't tempt me."

  "Go ahead."

Inwardly, Megatron was quite impressed that Starscream  wasn't whining and grovelling.

Starscream placed his hands on his waist  "Can I go now?"

  "... Yes - but do not let it happen again."

  "Fine, fine..." Starscream left.

Megatron then realised how absolutely exhausted Starscream was and smiled to himself.

 

Starscream stopped at the Energon room, picked up a cube and drank it.  He wanted another, but each Decepticon had been rationed one cube and if Megatron found out, he'd go off his rocker - again.  Starscream felt his hunger quietening down, but not the lingering pain.  He slowly walked to his quarters and entered the computerised combination.  The door obediently slid upward and slid closed again when Starscream entered.  He couldn't remember the last time his messy quarters looked so wonderful.  He smiled as he eluded his junk on the floor and immediately flopped down on is resting ledge.  If anyone dared to disturb them, he'd throw the large jet propulsion system, lying on the floor at their head.  Starscream made himself comfortable, grateful as he felt the subtle tingling of his automatic repair systems take care of any remaining damage - and that he had the opportunity and time to finally get some much needed rest.  He smiled and closed his eyes.

 

Bumblebee sat in the cell, keeping his fear in check.  It was not long before Megatron entered with Soundwave.  Bumblebee could tell Megatron wasn't in the best of moods - no wonder after the ass kicking he got in the last battle, but Bumblebee was wise enough not to mention that to Megatron's face.  Soundwave raised his gun.  Bumblebee sensed that this was only the beginning.  He knew there was nowhere for him to run or hide and didn't even flinch when Soundwave fired.  Inwardly the Decepticons were quite impressed with the little Autobot's courage, but said nothing.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Optimus Prime turned to leave the main control room, when he saw Ironhide.

  "Have you seen Bumblebee?"

  "No, Chief."

  "He said he was going out for a drive - that was two days ago and he hasn't returned.  The Sky-Spy gave his last coordinates as North Pasadena."

  "He's probably still out enjoyin' himself."

Optimus smiled.  "He needs that."

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

When Bumblebee came to, he found himself strapped to a metal bed.  He tugged on the Energon bands that bound his wrists, waist and ankles, but it was no use, in fact they became a little tighter. 

  "Do not waste your energy," Megatron said.  "You cannot escape."

Bumblebee stopped struggling and scowled as Megatron looked down at him.

  "You Autobots may have won the last battle, but you will not win the war."

  "What makes you say that?"

Megatron let out a cold chuckle.  "Pathetic Autobot... do you really think you stand a chance?"

  "Not me alone, Megatron, but united-"

  "Save it," Megatron snarled.  "You Autobots shall never triumph."

  "Says you."

Megatron brutally backhanded Bumblebee across his face and was inwardly surprised when the Autobot hardly flinched, but he did scowl and Megatron smiled.  Bumblebee knew he lacked the physical strength to break the bonds that held him, so he used another tactic and tried very slowly to squirm his small hand out of the Energon clasp.  He wasn't sure what he'd do if he managed to free himself, or even if he'd managed to escape Decepticon headquarters, but he didn't fancy the idea of being a helpless sitting duck - and anything was better than lying trapped here, listening to Megatron's gloating.

Unfortunately for Bumblebee, his plan didn't work.  The Energon bands became tighter.  He tried to pull against them, but they tightened still.  He tried to ignore the pain in his wrist, waist and ankles.

  "The more you struggle, the tighter they'll become - they're designed that way, so unless you want them to slice you to pieces ... painfully. I suggest you stop."

  "Thanks for the heartfelt advice," Bumblebee spat, staying still and hoping in vain that the bands would revert back to their original hold on him.  The tight pain was very uncomfortable, but thankfully not enough to slice into his skin.  Megatron showed no signs of releasing his discomfort.  Bumblebee scowled again.

  "You see, Autobot - I have you and there is no escape."

  "Spare me the rambling." Bumblebee did not want to give in to or admit his fear.

  "Now, Bumblebee...." Megatron said, his voice mock-pleasant.  "You'll tell me everything I want to know."

  "Or you'll torture me, right?"  Bumblebee narrowed his eyes.  “Or blast me to pieces.”

  "I want to know the Autobot's latest battle strategy," Megatron stated.

  "I don't know what it is with you Decepticons.  Do you think Optimus Prime goes around saying, 'now, Autobots, gather round and hold hands.  My latest battle plans are...'"

  "You try my patience!  Don't bother telling me you don't know - and if Prime hasn't divulged any plans As yet, so soon after the last battle - I know you Autobots are upgrading your security.  I want to know about the system."

Bumblebee remained tight lipped.

  "All right then," Megatron said, "Soundwave, the Cyber-Probe."

Soundwave stepped out of the shadows of the room.  Until this moment, Bumblebee hadn't even been aware of his presence.

  "As you command, Megatron."

  "I warn you, Bumblebee," Megatron said, "the Cyber-Probe is excruciatingly painful - Are you sure you won't reconsider?"

Bumblebee noted the sarcasm in the Decepticon Leader's voice. "Go jump in an acid lake, Megatron." He knew insulting the Decepticon Leader in these circumstances wasn't wise, but what more harm could it do?

  "So be it," Megatron said, an edge to his voice.  "Soundwave..."

The dark blue Decepticon turned to the Cyber-Probe controls and activated it on low power at first, slowly increasing.  In the beginning, Bumblebee felt nothing but a tingling sensation, but slowly felt that change and knew he wouldn't have to wait long for the pain.  He tried to blank out his mind to it - not to think about it.

Soundwave increased the power and the sensation started becoming quite unpleasant for our Autobot friend - and slowly the pain came, like a predator stalking.  The pain became more intense.  Bumblebee tried to put it out of his head, but found he could not.

  "He is resisting," Soundwave said.

  "Increase."

Bumblebee wanted to say 'no!' but what good would it do? 

Soundwave did so.  Bumblebee definitely felt the pain now.  He knew however strong willed he was, fighting the Cyber-Probe would only make it worse for him, and he knew he could not resist it - it would eventually locate the information in his brain and extract it, and so he erased it from his memory.  The pain grew more and more intense - it felt as if someone was squashing his head.  He wanted to cry out, but forced himself to remain silent.

  "The information has been erased," Soundwave said.  "Further exposure to the Cyber-Probe will permanently damage the Autobot's brain."

Megatron grunted angrily and bashed the bed.  "You think you're smart, don't you?" he growled at the Autobot.  "Soundwave, turn the damn probe off.  We've wasted enough time and energy on this runt."

Soundwave did so.  Bumblebee was too hurt to scowl at Megatron's insult, but was grateful the thing had been turned off.  The pain didn't go away, but it didn't get any worse either.  However, Bumblebee knew this wasn't the end of it and didn't want to think about what was coming to him next.

Megatron looked down at him and smiled.  "You don't think you're going to get off that easily, do you?  Tell me what I want to know or suffer the consequences."

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

  "Optimus Prime, attention," came the voice of Teletraan I.

  "What is it?"

Teletraan switched on the morning news.   The broadcast showed pictures of people looking rather panicked, running about.

  "Unfortunately the Autobots were unable to be contacted last night when four Decepticons made off with their energy takings from their midnight raid on the Richardson Power Plant in North Pasadena..."

  "Bumblebee!" Optimus exclaimed.  "He was .... Teletraan, report from Sky Spy."

  "There has been no report from the Sky Spy since 18 hundred hours last night."

  "Decepticons... They must have destroyed it... Optimus to Skyfire."

  "Skyfire here, Prime.  I'm passin' over the gorgeous Canadian Rockies.  I'm on my way home."

  "I need you to take a detour to Pasadena.  I'm sure Bumblebee has been captured by the Decepticons or he may have been..." Optimus swallowed, not wanting to complete the sentence.

  "I'm there, Prime," Skyfire said, and increased to maximum speed.

  "If you can't find any sign of him, return to base."

  "Will do."

 

Skyfire arrived on the scene and transformed.

At first Mr. Richardson freaked, thinking Skyfire was another Decepticon, then calmed down as he recognised him as an Autobot.  "Ohh, thank God ..." he breathed.

  "Was anyone hurt?" Skyfire asked.

  "No, thankfully.  It all happened so fast."

Skyfire relayed the news to Optimus Prime, who too was relieved there's been no human casualties.

  "How much energy did they take?" he asked.

  "They came, they stole, they went," Mr. Richardson said.  "They didn't take much, but sure scared the fuckin’ shit out of everyone."

  "I bet they did," Skyfire said.  "We'll help you clean up."

Optimus became puzzled when Mr. Richardson said the Decepticons hadn't taken much energy.  Strange, he thought, but he was more concerned about Bumblebee.

  "Did anyone see a little yellow Autobot called Bumblebee?" Skyfire asked.  "Transforms into a yellow Volkswagen Beetle."

  "I did," a little girl said.  "I saw the bad Decepticons shoot at the little car."

Optimus and Skyfire went cold.  The little girl showed him where she had seen the Decepticons shoot at Bumblebee.  The large Autobot saw strained tyre tracks, which confirmed his fears, but also to relief there was no debris and no broken chassis.

  "I saw Bumblebee change into a robot.  "A red and blue Decepticon shot him and then they took him away.  The black one, I think he was called Skywarp called the other one Star Screech."

Skyfire smiled, feeling a little hopeful.  "What's your name?" he asked.

  "Deona," the little girl replied.  "And my Daddy is happy that you're helping us."

Skyfire knelt down to Deona and shook her hand with his smallest finger.  "It's a pleasure," he said.

  "I hope that Bumblebee is okay."

  "So do we all," Skyfire said.

Mr. Richardson smiled, picked up his daughter and kissed her on the cheek.

  "I'll send some Autobots down here to assist you with getting this place in order again.  It's the least we can do."

  "Thanks," Mr. Richardson said.

Skyfire waved to then and they did as well.  The Autobot transformed and took off.

Skyfire opened a channel.  "Do you want me to go after Bumblebee, Prime?"

  "No, not alone.  No offence - you're too big to be sneaking around."

Skyfire laughed.  "None taken - I know!"

  "However, I need transportation to get to Decepticon headquarters."

  "Say no more!  You got it."

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

  "So, Bumblebee, will you tell me what I want to know?"

Bumblebee pursed his lips and said nothing.

  "Ahh..." Megatron said.  "I see.  The strong, but silent type ... Too bad." He activated some controls.  Bumblebee looked nervously at him, and decided whatever Megatron was doing, the result would not be a pleasant one for him - and he was right.  First he saw a bright, but pale orange coloured light above him - so bright it hurt his eyes and he found he couldn't close them to block it out - and then the pain - more pain, this time through his entire body.  He tried to struggle away, but found he couldn't and the Energon bands became a tighter - he'd forgotten about that and it hurt more than it did before.  He heard a short laugh come from Megatron.

  "Why bother?  In a few hours you won't be able to feel anything at all... Unless, that is, you tell me what I want to know."

The light had shorted out Bumblebee's optical circuits - he could not see, but his eyes hurt like hell.  He glared in Megatron's direction.  "I won't tell you anything" he growled, through the pain.  "I'd rather die then betray my friends."

Megatron looked down at him, inwardly admiring the little Autobot's courage, but said nothing to that effect.  "So be it."

Bumblebee felt his pain grow more intense and he winced.  He did his best to ignore it, but found he could not.  Megatron stood there, enjoying it.  Soundwave, on the other hand, could see no reason to torture the Autobot further, seeing he obviously was not going to tell them anything, but knew when Megatron was angry he pretty much did what he bloody well wanted to.  Soundwave knew his friend was still bitter after his humiliating defeat in the last battle and was quite sure he'd get over it soon enough.  Megatron's rages never seemed to last too long.

Please somebody, help me!  Bumblebee's mind screamed, but he forbade himself to say anything.  It felt as though he'd been immersed in a burning fluid and someone had stuck sharp, hot points into every part of his body and was slowly twisting them.  Bumblebee inwardly cursed himself for being so small and weak - if he was stronger he could have fought against his attackers and break out of these damn Energon bands - but even if he had been stronger, he had a feeling this accursed machine, whatever it was doing to him would compensate.  He desperately tried to pull one arm loose, then felt Megatron's hand on his arm.  The touch was gentle, but Bumblebee sensed it was mocking.

  "Don't worry," the Decepticon Leader said to him, "pretty soon, the pain won't bother you anymore."  He could see the pain and anger in the Autobot's eyes, but still Bumblebee said nothing - no bribes, begging or grovelling.  "This may not mean anything to you, Bumblebee," Megatron said, "but you surprise me.  You are small, pathetic and weak, you have virtually no firepower, and yet your bravery is deserving of Megatron's respect."

Bumblebee heard the sincerity in the words and was surprised, and he knew something like that would not have been easy for Megatron to say, but the pain and growing despair were his predominant feelings.  The pain seemed to stab into him suddenly.  Bumblebee and he gasped with pain and instantly wished he hadn't, even though what he was going through was unbearable.

  "Come, Soundwave," Megatron said, as he turned to leave.

Soundwave left with him, both leaving Bumblebee alone in the room, in agony, dying.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

  "Let me out here," Optimus Prime said to Skyfire, "make yourself scarce, and stand by.  Under no circumstances, break radio silence."

  "Got it."

Skyfire slid up a door.  Optimus leapt out of him and activated the jet pack of he'd strapped on previously.  The Valkyrie jet soared upward.  Optimus flew into the ocean.  He had with him, a recent invention of Wheeljack's, whom the inventor had called "The Scrambler."  It was designed to mess up Decepticon radar and give them false computer readings.

  "I hope this works..." and the Autobot leader activated it.

 

  "Megatron," Soundwave called, inside the headquarters.  "The computer has located a large active undersea volcano, five hundred miles from here.  Large energy supply."

Megatron's face brightened.  "Excellent, Soundwave, gather the force.  It's ours for the taking."  He turned around when he heard someone else enter the room.

  "Ahh, Starscream, well rested I take it?"

  "Yes thank you," came the curt reply to Megatron's sarcasm.  "I suppose you want me to lead this operation?"  Starscream silently hoped Megatron wouldn't make him go - he had rested, but was still quite low on energy, as there hadn't been too much to go around and he still ached in places.  Not as much as before, but he definitely was not in the mood or shape to go gallivanting about the Earth's oceans - or anywhere else for that matter.

  "No," Megatron said, as if answering Starscream's prayers.  "I want you to stay here.  The base needs some protection against possible intrusions, and to check up on the Autobot prisoner - and after the very limited supply of energy you brought back from-"

Starscream bristled.  "If we'd had stayed any longer, the Autobots would've been all over us like Sharkticons - there was one there already - I got us enough!"  Starscream scowled at his leader and Megatron smiled inwardly.  He loved to provoke the Decepticon Air Commander.

  "Fine," Starscream said.  "I'm not in the mood for energy gathering anyway," and he sauntered off, glowering.  He knew Megatron had provoked him on purpose, and couldn't help throwing the flak back.  He realized he enjoyed provoking Megatron too - and arguing with him, even though they annoyed the hell out of each other.  Starscream smiled to himself as he thought how boring it would be around here without himself.  He waited until the other Decepticons had left, and he was alone in the headquarters, bar the Autobot prisoner.  This didn't happen often, but Starscream quite liked being alone, when he wasn't in the mood for showing off or boasting to all and sundry.  Starscream decided to check on Bumblebee and walked into the torture room, mildly annoyed that the back of his legs were still a little sore, but knew they'd heal themselves soon.  He saw Bumblebee strapped to the bed, with the Cyber-Warper going full bore.  Bumblebee sensed someone else in the room with him.

  "What do you want?" he asked, his voice strained with pain.

  "Nothing," was the reply.

  "Starscream!" Bumblebee almost spat.

The Decepticon Seeker had calmed considerably since he had encountered Bumblebee at Pasadena.  "Nothing personal," he said.  He no longer had the burning hatred for Bumblebee, even though standing over the helpless Autobot gave him a sense of power - of course he hated his enemies and knew he was hardly on Bumblebee's 'favorite people' list either.  A very small part of him felt a silent pang of pity for the Autobot, but not enough to say anything, help him, or alleviate the pain.

  "I don't regret my action," he said to Bumblebee, "or the outcome.  I wasn't exactly in the best of moods out there.  Perhaps you understand, I don't know ... I’m sorry, but there's nothing I can do for you."

Bumblebee knew that.  If Starscream helped him, Megatron would go off his nut and Starscream definitely wouldn't get off lightly and Bumblebee knew the Decepticon Jet wasn't about to help him.  Too much had happened between the Autobots and Decepticons for him to even hope otherwise.

  "I know..." was all he said. 

And Bumblebee was surprised, not to mention relieved when he felt the pain subside, just a little.

 

Optimus Prime scanned Decepticon headquarters and picked up two life signs, one Decepticon - one Autobot, extremely faint and diminishing.  Optimus breathed a sigh of relief that Bumblebee was alive and knew he had to get to him fast.  He used Wheeljack's Scrambler to disable the Decepticons' security systems and made his way inside.  Optimus placed the scanner inside the jet pack compartment and held his laser rifle ready should the Decepticon inside the base attack.  Optimus sued his in-built scanner to locate Bumblebee and found the room - the door was locked. He didn't know the combination to the computerised lock and didn't have time to fiddle with it, and so prepared himself and slammed his fist through it.  Sparks flew and the door slid open.  Optimus shook his sore hand, then rushed inside, saw Bumblebee and immediately rushed to the controls and was about to turn them off, but took a moment to study them, in case of any danger to Bumblebee.  He discovered that turning the thing off suddenly would create a violent shock which would kill his friend.  Optimus turned the power down gradually, not wanting to look at the pain in his friend's face.  It pained him to see Bumblebee like this.  Finally, he turned the machine off.  Bumblebee could feel something happening, but wasn't sure what.  He still felt the intense pain, but felt no burning light - although he could not see, before, it was as if he could see the burning light behind his eyes, but now there was nothing except black.  Bumblebee became very frightened.  Am I dead .... why does it feel so bad ... please Primus ... help me...

Optimus snapped the Energon bands around Bumblebee.  In pain, Bumblebee tried to crawl away.  Optimus breathed a sigh of relief that his friend was still functional.

  "It's all right, Bumblebee," he spoke softly.

Bumblebee let out an audible sigh of relief of which he felt every bit.  He tried not to show the pain or the fear of the realization of how close he had been to death, but Optimus saw his internal struggle.

  "Don't fight it, Bumblebee.  It'll only make it worse."  Optimus picked him up and could feel him shivering.  He also felt an intense anger toward the Decepticon responsible.

Every part of Bumblebee ached and cried out and he couldn't describe how grateful he felt to have Optimus here with him.  He wanted to rest, but the pain wouldn't let him.

 

Starscream paced around the headquarters, bored and hungry, and of course there was nothing but trashy talk shows, sport and soap operas on at this hour on Earth television broadcasts.  He was sick of sitting around doing nothing and his increasing hunger didn't make things any better, but he knew if he took any more of the limited Energon supply, Megatron would go ballistic - literally.

  "I wish they'd hurry up," he said to himself, impatiently, like an impudent child wishing their parents would hurry up and bring the groceries home.  In the meantime, however, he decided to pay Bumblebee one last visit.

 

Bumblebee's pain wasn't subsiding.

  "I'm going to the repair bay to get some acetonium," Optimus said.  Sensing Bumblebee didn't want to be left alone, he said, "don't worry, I'll be back soon.  It's not far from here."  He snuck out of the room to his desired destination.

He switched on the light, hoping the Decepticon he scanned previously hadn't decided to come in his or Bumblebee's direction.  Optimus found what he was looking for and made his way quickly, but cautiously back to Bumblebee.

  "This should ease the pain," he said quietly, as he administered a dose.

  "Thanks," Bumblebee said, as he felt the pain subsiding, but an unpleasant numbness took its place and he still felt dog tired and still could not see a thing.

  "I'll get you back home for repairs."  Optimus gently and carefully picked up Bumblebee in his arms and turned to leave when he heard footsteps approaching.  Not now ...

Optimus put down his little friend, readied his laser rifle and took up position.

Starscream entered the room.  A sudden burst of rage compelled the Autobot leader to fire and blast Starscream in his stomach.  The Decepticon, both shocked and surprised, sent sprawling and crashed into the wall.  Optimus blasted him once again.  Bumblebee wanted to tell Optimus something, but he was too weak.  All that escaped was a soft whimper. Prime didn't hear him, and Bumblebee lost consciousness.

  "Stop!  Don't shoot!  Please!" Starscream, exclaimed, holding up one hand.

  "Why not?" Optimus demanded, blasting a hole in the wall next to the Decepticon’s head.

Starscream swallowed.

  "Get up,” the Autobot leader demanded.

Starscream hesitated.

  "STAND!"

Starscream obeyed, as fast as his newly sported blast wounds would allow.  Optimus grabbed him, forced him into the room and pointed to Bumblebee.

  "You did that to him."

  "I did not.  Megatron did.  He ordered me to capture him."

  "After you almost destroyed him."

Starscream was silent for a moment, then spoke.  "What do you expect, Prime?  Fine, at first - I let my temper get the better of me - oh of course, you never lose your temper, right?"

  "Seldom."

  "Well excuuuuuuse me for not being oh-so-perfect ... But it wasn't my idea to torture him."

Optimus knew he was pushing Starscream, but continued.  "You didn't exactly do anything to prevent it or help-"

  "Idiot!" Starscream snapped.  "Do you have any idea what Megatron'd do to me if he found out?!  He’d put me in there, and probably rip my innards out and eat them.  And besides, Prime, I'm hardly renowned for my generosity."

  "You can say that again."  Optimus pushed Starscream onto the floor.  "And what of the energy you stole from the humans?"

  "Oh, so excuse us, Prime!" Starscream snapped.  "In case you didn't know, Decepticons too, need energy to survive.   Unlike you Autobots, we don't always have Energon handy.  Fine, we usually pinch more than we need, but you already know that.  This time we took only what we needed."

Optimus felt a pang of guilt.  He knew the Decepticons were sentient beings, but he’d never thought of their basic needs.  How little we know about each other, even after millions of years... he thought and couldn't think of anything to say to Starscream, except, "I'm sorry."

The Decepticon wasn’t expecting that.  Not knowing what else to say, he changed the subject.  "How did you get in here, anyway?" he asked, curious.

  "That's for me to know and you not to find out."

Starscream humphed. He expected that answer and stood slowly.  Optimus lifted Bumblebee from the machine and placed his sleeping friend on a nearby workbench.  Then adjusted his laser rifle.

  "Don't shoot, please ..." Starscream backed off.

  "I won't if you keep out of my way."  Optimus blasted the torture machine.  The controls exploded, then he picked up Bumblebee, keeping an eye on Starscream.  The Autobot leader turned to leave.  The Decepticon said and did nothing.

  "Aren't you even going to blast me goodbye?" Optimus asked.

Starscream gave a humourless smile and held  out his hands.  "I couldn’t even if I wanted to.  Weapons don't work."

Optimus swallowed, instantly contrite about blasting an unarmed enemy.  "I’m sorry, Starscream. I hadn't realised you were-"

  "Save it.  Hell, I probably deserved it anyway." Starscream did not let on how relieved, he was or how touched – Prime did care after all.

  "So you're not going to prevent me from escaping?"

  "No," Starscream said, sounding haughty.  "Off you go - You're armed, I'm not, you’re at full strength, I’m tired ... and quite frankly I really don’t give a damn, and I'm not in the mood."  And he walked off.

If Optimus Prime had eyebrows, they would have shot off his head.  "When you think you know someone..." he muttered.

His attention immediately drawn back to his little friend, and he left the way he had come.  He flew out of Decepticon headquarters and met Skyfire at the planned rendezvous point.

  "Maximum speed to Autobot headquarters," Optimus said, as he laid Bumblebee down across a ledge inside Skyfire.

The Valkyrie jet increased speed to maximum, then spoke to Optimus.  "I was getting worried about you in there."

  "We had a run in with Starscream."

  "You okay?"

  "Yes.  Starscream .... seemed quite .... well helpful actually."

  "What?!"

Optimus let out a short laugh.  "Strange, but true."

  "I'll say!"

Skyfire suddenly shook as he was blasted.  "Hold on, Optimus, Bumble, we got bogies at five o'clock!" He fired back at the returning Decepticons and managed to manoeuvre away and escape without too many heat scratches.

 

  "Megatron, you're back," Starscream said.

  "What's that matter?  You look like you've been blasted by Optimus Prime."

Starscream grunted and half smiled.  "I was."

  "He escaped, obviously."

  "Yeah."

  "You pathetic, miserable ..."

  "Can the put downs, Megatron.  What in the Cyber Hells did you expect me to do, low on energy, without active weapons?  Spank him? ... Better still, appease him and bake him cookies?  And what the hell took you so long!?"

  "The so called 'volcano' turned out to be a worthless hunk of rock.  The Autobots’ve  obviously found a way to fool our scanners. Soundwave's working on countering it. To compensate, we raided Sherman Dam."

  "Talk about a blast from the past."

  "I'll give you a blast in the present if you don't shut up!"

Starscream scowled. "Did you get much energy?" he asked, unswayed by Megatron's threat.

  "Yes, fortunately - before the Autobots attacked. Soundwave's also working on a recharging program to give us enough energy when we need - any excess will have to be obtained from the humans."

  "Fine, fine, where's the energy?"

Megatron almost smiled.  "My you're impatient today.  It's in the Energon room."

  "Thank you," Starscream said, exasperated.

  "And Starscream-"

Starscream spun around.  "What?!"

  "Don't drink it all at once.”

  “Yes, Mother.”

  “Remember what happened last time you over energized...?"

Starscream’s face flushed and became deathly embarrassed.  "I'd rather not," he growled.  “Now I’m off, Leader. “ And he walked off.

Megatron grunted.  Starscream was obviously in one of his moods.

  "You should not let him get to you."

Megatron turned to his friend's familiar, melodical voice.

  "I know, Soundwave.  Can't help it sometimes."

Soundwave nodded.   "You need some rest," he said.

  "I've re-energized," Megatron told him.

  "That is not what I meant."

Megatron let out a small sigh and nodded.  "You're right.  Sometimes I think you're psychic."

Soundwave smiled. 

  "All right," Megatron said, "but you need some rest too."

  "I have to finish working on the re-energisation-"

  "Do it later,"  and Megatron he smiled.  "You need some rest . That’s an order."

  “As you command, Megatron.”

They both smiled and left for their quarters for some much needed R & R.

 

Starscream drank his share of two Energon cubes and felt his stomach exclaim Thank you!  He'd forgotten how good and refreshing Energon tasted.  He was about to go for another cube, but definitely didn’t want to come on to Megatron like he did the last time he got really, really drunk.  Embarrassing as the Cyber-Hells when he sobered up, he became furious and went totally ballistic when anyone had mentioned it, but this time, he burst out laughing.  As he returned to his quarters, he decided to indulge for the first time in a hot water bath.  If anyone dared disturb him, he's blast them.

 

Starscream prepared the bath in his quarters, slowly lowered himself into the welcoming warm-hot water and sighed a totally relieved sigh of finally being able to relax comfortably.  Ooh ... I can see why humans find this so enjoyable!  He thought to himself, feeling the water against his metal skin, and he savoured the feeling, as he didn't know when he would be able to do this again.  The jet laid back, relaxed, closed his eyes and smiled.

 

Ratchet sat in the repair bay, reading his subscription copy of one of the humans' medical magazines Medicine Advance - (All publications book or magazine if requested, were printed large for Transformers to read easily.)

Skyfire landed outside Autobot headquarters with Optimus Prime and Bumblebee.

  "Thanks, Sky," Optimus said.

  "Don't mention it - it's a pleasure."

Optimus rushed Bumblebee to the repair bay and Ratchet dropped his magazine.   "What happened?!"

  "Megatron."

  "The bastard..." Ratchet growled.  "Quickly ... we gotta work fast."

Optimus Prime laid Bumblebee on the repair bed.  Ratchet immediately hooked him onto the Cyber-Life Support System.

  "He's lapsed into a coma ... Life signs weakening .... We don't have much time."

Ratchet looked worried - as did Optimus.

Ratchet scanned Bumblebee.  "Whatever they did to him altered the energy frequency in his body and it's killing him - painfully.  His systems are shutting down."  Ratchet cared too much for his little friend to let his anger of this injustice cloud his professional judgement - one wrong move - one wrong decision could cost Bumblebee his life.  "His body's fighting back with what remaining 'normal' energy he has remaining.  Whatever the Decepticons used attacked every system, every nerve in his body." Ratchet winced and swallowed.  "I couldn't imagine the pain..." He injected an anaesthetic into Bumblebee's side.  "There, he won't feel anything."

Optimus reconfigured the repair device to Bumblebee's correct energy signature.

  "We have to do this slowly," Ratchet said.  "Too fast and it'll kill him."

Optimus Prime nodded.  "The Decepticon's machine wasn't up to full power when I found him."

  "Strange," Ratchet said.  "But that's good - and it's the only reason he's still alive."

Optimus breathed a sigh of relief. 

  "I'm injecting some Cyberium into him," Ratchet said. "It'll help rejuvenate his energies, nervous systems and pull his automatic repair systems back on line, which should take care of his damaged optical sensors - I daren't increase the power to the life support machine yet.  It'll be too much energy for his body to handle.” Ratchet checked the monitor, then he frowned.

  “What is it?” Optimus asked, concerned.

  “Very strange, Prime ... according to this, the metal fatigue of Bumblebee’s body clearly indicates the machine was at full strength for quite some time...”

  “That is strange.  It was only half power when I found him...”

  “But we’re not out of the Cyber-woods yet.  We’ve a long night ahead of us.  The only thing we can do now keep an eye on the life support machine, and wait."

And they waited.

And waited.

 

  "Come, on, Bumble, please," Ratchet urged gently.

Optimus shared his sentiments as he looked at his little yellow friend, fighting for his life.

Ratchet studied the life support machine readings and judged it safe to increase the power a little, and did so.  He was thankful he didn't have anyone else to attend to.  Bumblebee required his full attention.

Ratchet studied the reading again.  "It's improving - a little."

  "A little's better than nothing, or worsening," Optimus said, as he held one of Bumblebee's small black hands gently in his.

Ratchet opened a compartment and took out an Energon cube.

  "I'm going to start introducing some diluted Energon, configured to his energy patterns, into his system.  It'll strengthen his energies."

Ratchet put the cube down, stuck a flexible tube into it and began the dilution process.

The life support machine gave sudden series of electronic beeps.  Ratchet almost dropped what he was doing and whirled around.

  "The alien energy's fighting back!  It's absorbing the flow...."  Ratchet immediately turned off the energy flow and scanned Bumblebee.  "We're losing him..."

  "No... Can we reroute the energy flow?  Keep the alien energy back - trick it somehow?"

Ratchet thought for a second.  "Yes ..." He ripped open a storage compartment and grabbed tools while we was speaking and set them up.  "We can reroute the energy flow through his B-bypass.  That'll buy us some time."  And he connected it to Bumblebee.  "I'm also sending a false energy flow to the alien energy.  It'll weaken it and eventually eradicate it, as there'll be nothing for it to manipulate.  For now we'll have to let the energy flow take its course."

Optimus nodded, relieved that there was still a chance.

They waited for a while, both looking very worried.

 

  "It's working ...." Ratchet sighed after a while.

Optimus silently sent a prayer of heartfelt gratitude to Primus.

  "The alien energy's weaker.  I'm going to start him on the diluted Energon.  It'll help, but Optimus, I ... I can't guarantee he'll-"

  "I know, Ratchet, and if Bumblebee doesn't make it, however hard it is to accept, you can't blame yourself - because you would have done everything you could ... If only I'd gotten to him sooner."

  "Prime, it's not your fault either."

The Autobot leader nodded and looked down at Bumblebee and stroked his cheek.

  "You'll make it, little one," he said gently.  "You have to.  You have the courage of a warrior and the spirit of an angel - and don't worry - we're here with you."

  "That's right, Bumble," Ratchet said.  "Every step of the way."

 

After waiting patiently for another twenty-five minutes, Ratchet saw the first signs of real improvement.

  "Yee Haw!"

Optimus smiled, sharing the sentiment.

Ratchet increased the power and flow of energy slightly.

  "He's getting there, but as the humans say, don't count your chickens before they hatch..."

 

After another two hours, Ratchet and Optimus began to see a vast improvement.

  "He's gonna make it ..." Ratchet sighed, wiping a happy tear from his cheek.  "He's gonna make it!"

Optimus closed his eyes for a few moments and said a silent thank you prayer to Primus.

  "The alien energy's totally gone."  Ratchet smiled and slowly fully recharged Bumblebee.

The little yellow Autobot stirred, then turned around on the bed.  He blinked a few tines and realized with relief that he could see and that he was alive and there was very little pain.

  "O....Optimus?..."

  "I'm here, Bumblebee."

Bumblebee smiled.  "Thank you, Optimus, Ratchet."

  "Just doin' my job, Bumble," Ratchet smiled.  "Of course it means a lot more than that to me - you be careful now."

Bumblebee gave a small smile and nodded.

  "Your strength should return in the next few days" Ratchet promised.  "Until then, no strenuous activities, no transforming, no driving and definitely no Decepticons."

  "Definitely not, Doc," Bumblebee smiled as Optimus lifted him off the repair bed.

  "Here's  some diluted Energon." Ratchet said. "You'll need to drink this until your strength returns.  And I'm here if you need anything.  Anything at all."

  "Thanks," Bumblebee said.

Ratchet smiled as Optimus carried Bumblebee to his quarters.

 

The Autobot Leader put Bumblebee down inside his quarters.  Bumblebee still felt quite weak, but knew the feeling would pass.  "Thanks, Optimus, for everything."

  "It's a pleasure, Bumblebee, and you don't need to thank me."

  "I wanted to."

There was a long pause.

  "Bumblebee..."

Bumblebee was lost in thought and barely heard Optimus.

  "Bumblebee..."

The yellow Autobot jumped.  "Uh ... sorry .... Yes, Optimus?"

  "It's not going to help you to bottle it up like that.  They hurt you bad and you have to let it go, otherwise it will haunt you for a long time to come."

Bumblebee sighed.  "You can tell ... I know it's bad to keep it locked away, Optimus..."

There was another pause.

  "Do you want someone to talk to?" Optimus Prime asked understanding, "or would you rather be alone?"

Bumblebee hesitated, then nodded.  "Part of me wants to be alone ... but part of me needs-" He cut himself off.

  "I'm here, Bumblebee," Optimus said.  He lifted up his little friend and sat him down on the resting ledge, then sat next to him.  "Let it out, Bumblebee," he said gently.

Bumblebee let out a large breath.

  "I know it's hard for you," Optimus consoled.

Bumblebee nodded, struggling to keep back tears.  Optimus put his hand on his friend's shoulder and could feel him shivering.

  "Bumblebee, it's all right to be afraid.  Don't confuse being afraid with being a coward,  It's not the same.  Brave people get scared - I get scared."

There was a short pause.

  "When was the last time you were afraid, Optimus?" Bumblebee asked.

  "When I almost lost you.  Bumblebee, I was terrified."

Bumblebee’s eyes filled with tears.  "Thank you, Optimus."

The big and blue red Autobot nodded.  "Being afraid doesn't mean you're a coward or a wimp - it's natural – at times it's essential."

A tear rolled down Bumblebee's cheek, then another, then another.

  "I was so scared, Optimus ..." he sobbed.  "I couldn't fight it ... It hurt so much ... I didn't want to die ..." Bumblebee wiped his tears away.  “I felt so weak ... so useless...”

  "I know, Bumblebee, I would have been scared too."

Optimus gently put his arms around his little friend and Bumblebee returned the comforting embrace.

  "It's good that you are able to acknowledge your fear.  That takes courage too.  Such experiences strengthen us, make us who we are, but we cannot let them rule or control us.  You'll need some time to yourself to go within and deal with your feelings."

Bumblebee smiled.  "Thanks, Optimus.  Without your help. I wouldn't've known how."

Optimus gave a comforting smile.  "We learn more everyday, Bumblebee, myself included."

The little yellow Autobot nodded.  "How was Starscream when you left?  I heard you shoot him."

  "If it wasn't for him, you wouldn't have been tortured."

  "True, but if I wasn't, I wouldn't've learned anything, about what you just told me, would I?"

Optimus nodded.  "Indeed ... The Universe works in mysterious ways.  I admit I acted with bias with Starscream."

  "I tried to tell you not to attack him."

  "You don't hold him responsible for what happened?"

  "No.  It wasn't personal.  He acted on an impulsive rage for the defeat and pain he suffered in the last battle.  I just happened to be the one he took it out on.  Megatron's the one who hurt me, but again, it could have been anyone.  He tried to force me to tell Autobot plans, then our new security system, and when I refused, he tortured me.  He ... he told me he respected my courage."

Optimus eyes widened in surprise.  "Megatron's respect does not come easily, even less his admittance.  You must've made quite an impression on him."

Bumblebee nodded.  "Didn't stop him, though.  A while after he and Soundwave left, Starscream came into the room."  Bumblebee told Optimus of their conversation.  "I couldn't see him, but immediately afterward, I felt the pain ease.  He turned the torture machine’s power down."

Optimus swallowed.  "He did?"

Bumblebee smiled.  "He did.  It still hurt, but not as much.  I couldn't expect anything more - hell, I didn't even expect that."

  "Bumblebee ...” Optimus spoke slowly, “Ratchet told me that the only reason you survived was because the machine was not at full power...”

Bumblebee’s mouth opened.  “You mean Starscream...”

  “Saved your life..."

The little yellow Autobot swallowed.

  “And I blasted him...”

  “You weren’t to know, Optimus ... none of us are perfect.  Not even me.”

The Autobot leader chuckled and gently held his friend.

  "You would have died if I hadn't found you, but Starscream delayed that...  Even if he hadn’t realised ...”

  "Well, you yourself said, Optimus that the Universe works in mysterious ways..."

  "It does indeed ...

  “Do you need me to stay with you any more, Bumblebee?"

Bumblebee shook his head.  "No, Optimus.  I need some time alone to think and rest.  Thank you.”"

  "All right, Bumble, but remember, I'm just around the corner if you need me."

Bumblebee embraced his leader.

Optimus Prime stood and left Bumblebee's quarters, glad to have helped his friend, and silently thanked Starscream.

 

Bumblebee stayed in his quarters, grateful to have released his emotional pain.  His thoughts were now with Starscream.  Did he realize he'd saved his life?  If he knew would he be angry, ashamed?  Would he have acted differently?  Did he know at the time he was saving Bumblebee's life?  Would he care?  At all?

Bumblebee lay on his resting ledge and smiled.  Whatever the case, he said a silent thank you to Starscream.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

 

Starscream, now dry after his wonderfully relaxing hot water bath, sat in front of his computer in his quarters.  He was finishing a long story he'd been writing for quite a few years.  Writing was a hobby he'd picked up on Earth - one which he'd been extremely particular to keep strictly private and entirely to himself.

He stopped typing for a moment as a thought flashed through his head, about Bumblebee.  Starscream recalled turning the power down.  He felt half grateful, half guilty.  He didn't regret what he'd done - he would if Megatron found out about it, but thankfully there was no one to tell him.  Starscream knew that the Autobots would have repaired Bumblebee by now and that ... in retrospect he realised that if the machine had been on full strength, the Autobot would have been dead when Optimus arrived ... In effect, he’d saved an Autobot’s life ... and he felt surprised that he didn't feel angry about that at all.

 

He felt something he'd never felt, well ... in this way  - he felt happy.  Perhaps everyone's supposed to do something nice once in a while, he typed as he thought to himself, then stopped abruptly.  But we bad guys aren't supposed to feel that way, are we? - Hey, you're not getting soft, are you?

Starscream smiled to himself as he'd given himself an idea to expand on his long story, with a great ending sentence and a title which had eluded him since he started.  Starscream smiled and said a silent thank you to Bumblebee and continued to perfect his story which he intended to submit for publication on Earth, under his Writer's name.

 

Starscream completed his story about month later and secretly submitted it to a publisher - Karlog & Co.  The publisher had no idea who he was, but as far as he was concerned, he had a best seller and didn't care.

 

As the publisher predicted, the book became a best seller practically overnight and hit the shelves in hardback. It had been met with awesome reviews from critics.  Sensational .... touching ... shocking .... and Hollywood film producers were eager to make a Trilogy.  And everyone was wondering and wanted to know just who this fabulous new author was.  Starscream didn't care for the money.  He let his delighted publisher keep it.  The book meant a lot to him.  Of course he changed names so as not to incriminate himself - he'd be in deep shit with the other Decepticons id they found out. Especially Alexander.  He had called himself Christopher.  The book was over 1000 pages – The Full Monty, no holds barred.

 

Starscream smiled as his publisher received fan mail and secretly forwarded it on to him.  Starscream delighted in one letter from a little girl called Hamble, telling him that she loved to read, and that her favorite character was Christopher and that he should shoot Alexander and have him beg for mercy.  Starscream laughed out loud. But despite the ego trip he received from the fan mail, Starscream was grateful to have finally put his feelings in words, at no risk to him, for others to share.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

  "I wonder what this is, Optimus," Bumblebee said, holding a parcel, addressed:

 

 

                                                TO:  OPTIMUS PRIME AND BUMBLEBEE

                                                            AUTOBOT HEADQUARTERS

                                                            MOUNT SAINT HELENS

                                                            OREGON

                                                            THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

 

 

It did not contain a reverse address.

  "I detect no explosive devices inside," Optimus Prime said.  

The Decepticons sometimes liked to send the Autobots surprises.

Bumblebee tore open the package and took out two hard cover books.  "There's one for each of us," he said.

Optimus read the title of the book, opened it and found it autographed by the author with a message. 

 

 

 

 

~ Optimus Prime

 

You’ve taught me a great deal, as much as I hate to admit it.

 

Thanks.

 

 

The message in Bumblebee’s copy read, “Fate can often bring enemies closer.  Thank you for the inspiration to finish my book.”

 

  "I wonder what this means, Optimus?"

  "I suggest we'd better read the book and find out."

 

They retreated to their separate quarters and opened the book and began to read  If I Knew My Enemy By C. L. Collins.

 

As the two Autobots read the book, they knew exactly who it had come from and wrote a thank you note.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

After a while, the fan mail died down somewhat, but Starscream didn't mind.  Late one night, he received a letter secretly delivered from his publisher and read it in his private quarters.

 

 

            Dear Chris,

 

Thank you for your book.  It is, profound, thoughtful, deeply insightful.  It needed to be written.

 

 

Warm Regards

 

Constance &

Dani Bee

 

 

PS - We won't tell Alexander a thing.

 

 

Starscream re read the letter, touched, then sat back in his chair and roared with laughter at the last part.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

'Constance' smiled to himself as he sat at his desk in his private quarters read the book once more, surprised a Decepticon could write such a touching piece of art.  He thought about how 'Christopher' had helped 'Dani Bee' and about the occasions the Autobots and Decepticons had helped each other over the years.  Optimus Prime smiled again.  Perhaps sentiments such as these would someday bring an end to the Transformers war.

 

 

*

 

 Back to Autobot & Decepticon Fanfic Page

 

Back to Transformers Page