Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic/fanart.

Summary: Needlenose, Spinister and Carnivac story

Author's note: Sequel to Survivor

Rating - PG

~~~~~~~~~~

WARRIORS OF THE HEART

 

It had been almost a year since the New Decepticon Mayhem Squad had been defeated by the Autobot Earthforce, and of course, the Survivors. A team which Carnivac was proud to be a part - although he had made it quite clear that he would always be a Decepticon. He didn't fancy himself being a traitor and didn't consider himself one, even though he was almost killed by the Mayhems for forging a bond with the Autobots. If tat wasn't bad enough, the Mayhems had killed his closest friend, Catilla. Oh, Carnivac understood why - Catilla had defected and joined the Autobots, but that made it no easier for Carnivac to accept the death of his best friend. he had not resented Catilla when he switched sides, actually he admired him, even though he did not want to join him. The Autobots were more suited to Catilla - that's just the way it was. But the Mayhems and their warped philosophy - did they understand that? Did they care? No.

Bludgeon had been the one ultimately responsible for Catilla's death, but as far as Carnivac was concerned - they were all guilty.

"Spinister..." Carnivac mocked, "I should have killed him when I had the chance - oh, sure, I shot him, but was that enough?"

"What's done is done, Carnivac," Springer said. "I know Catilla was close to you. We all miss him. He was our friend too, but nothing we can do will ever bring him back." Springer took Carnivac's silence as an agreement. "But something's bugging you, isn't it?"

Carnivac turned to face Springer. "And why wouldn't it? Bludgeon, Snarler, Stranglehold and Octopunch - they've all been killed."

"I know that. Snarler was crushed to death, Bludgeon on a solo raid of Autobot headquarters, the other two executed by Decepticon High Command, but I don't get it. You should be glad after what they put you through."

"Damn it, Springer, you don't understand. I wanted to kill them.  All I succeeded in doing was humiliating them, and after what they did to me and Catilla, that's hardly enough. I denied them a warrior's death - that which they did not deserve. They were scum. They deserved no mercy - or dignity."

Springer knew better than to try and comfort Carnivac when he was in one of his moods, better to let it pass.  The Autobot left Carnivac to sort it out himself.

Carnivac did feel a sense of justice that the Mayhem Pretenders had all been killed. Especially Bludgeon. That cyber-bastard had killed Catilla, and Carnivac grinned when he thought of Snarler's fate. "Served that hell hog right."  He was only sorry he did not kill them himself.

In robot mode, Carnivac sat alone on a stone not too far away from Springer and the others, but far enough not to be disturbed by them.

"Something's not right ..." Carnivac said to himself. "It's been too quiet. There have been no Decepticon attacks in the past few months and no new Decepticon interest in my status. Nothing at all." Carnivac scowled. "Something's going on and I bet it's not good."

"Carnivac?"

"What?!"

"Well so-rry, excuuuse me! Let me know when you're in the mood for company."

"Springer, wait..."

The Autobot turned around.

"I'm sorry," Carnivac said.

"I think I know what's bugging you."

Carnivac gave a sly smile. "Perhaps you know better than I think."

"If it makes you feel any better, it's bugging me too. Earthforce Command maintains on alert. Nothing's been detected as yet, but Grimlock's certain it's a Decepticon trick to lower our guard."

"Perhaps he's not so stupid after all."

Springer smiled. "Don't let him hear you say that!"

            * * *

Spinister picked himself up off the grassy ground. Earth. He had made it. He closed his eyes for a moment, then opened them. Phew, definitely not an illusion. He was really here. He had escaped the onslaught on Cybertron. He knew the fate of the Mayhem Pretenders. Actually all the Decepticon Mayhem Squad were dead. All except him.

They deserved to die, Spinister thought, them and their single-minded stupidity - but Needlenose. He had tried to warn them of Carnivac's return. They had ignored him that had cost Needlenose his life. Spinister had not forgiven himself for that. He had seen potential in the little one, and stood up for him when others would have killed him without a second thought. had they listened to him, the Mayhem Squad would have had a chance to emerge victorious. Yes. Needlenose had potential. Potential which had been ignored.

Spinister returned to the Island where they had engaged Carnivac. Their old headquarters was still virtually intact, apart from blemishes here and there, but deserted. As was the rest of the island. Spinister made his way into Needlenose's quarters, where he had been killed, and winced at the sight of his comrade's mutilated body, from his throat to his waist, slashed open by Carnivac's razor claws. Spinister swallowed.  He had hoped to repair him earlier, but Carnivac had not given him that alternative. Damn him. Needlenose did not have anything to do with Catilla's death. Spinister thought back to when he had obliterated Carnivac's outer shell, believing it was Carnivac. He had felt both a sense of satisfaction and a loss. Satisfaction that he had done his duty as a Decepticon, but the loss, he was never sure why.

Needlenose's condition wasn't as bad as it appeared. Spinister was fairly knowledgeable when it came to repairs. He'd picked it up fairly quickly in his training days, and god knows, he'd had to apply it many times.

"Ohh .... unhhh..."

"Needlenose?"

"Wha-? .... No! Please! ..."

"Needlenose."

The small Decepticon looked up. "Spinister ... What - Carnivac's here ... was he -"

Spinister smiled. "I know, my friend, it's a long story."

 

"So they're all dead?"

Spinister nodded. "So were you until now."

"Thank you for repairing me. You always did help me when I needed you."

"I'm still trying to figure out of that's a weakness or a strength."

"I'd say it's a strength."

Spinister's mouth broadened. The older Decepticon couldn't quite remember the last time he'd smiled. He'd felt miserable and troubled ever since he left Earth for Cybertron. A few hours with Needlenose had brought a well needed smile to his face. Not bad for a little 'no hoper.'

The truth of the matter was. no matter how calm, collected and sure of himself Spinister was on the outside, inside he was a wreck. He'd barely escaped with his life, and almost been reduced to atoms by the rickety space bridge that had brought him here, and what he had seen on Cybertron before he escaped was definitely one of the most significant events in the Transformers war and he wasn't sure how to handle it.

            * * *

Back at the Survivors' encampment, Springer had managed to coax Carnivac back to join the others.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm not to keen on this 'silence' either," Skids said, with a frown. "We've not been contacted or been able to contact Cybertron. In the past month, there have been no Decepticon attacks or raids. I'm as suspicious as you are."

"Ditto," came from Broadside, and Inferno nodded in agreement.

"Grimlock sends us out here for surveillance," Carnivac said, "and there's nothin' to survey - and I might add, he's still not too keen on me - a Decepticon being part of the Survivors team."

"Don't let that bother you. Grimlock's as stuck up and stubborn as they come, and he has to maintain that reputation."

"Some reputation," Carnivac snorted.

"So far the only Decepticon activity we've noticed, at all," Springer said, "have been a non-threatening reconnaissance party and the occasional energon gathering, but nothing serious, and they seem to be taking only what they need to survive, which -"

"Which," Carnivac interrupted, "makes me even more suspicious."

"You took the words right out of my mouth, buddy."

Grimlock was not happy with the negative findings of the Survivors.

"Me say 'Cons out there, plan trouble."

"Look, Grimlock, they probably are planning something, but if we ain't got anything to report, you can't blame us."

Grimlock sighed. "Me know. Just hate sitting here like big doofuss."

Carnivac caught himself about to smile and with an effort, stifled it. Apparently, he wasn't the only one.

"Earthforce on guard, but need strong, alert forces if 'Cons try anything. Survivors are most honored force, even have a 'Con member."

Springer was taken by surprise and was lost for words for a few moments. "Thanks, Grimlock, we aim to please."

Grimlock grunted at Springer's latter sarcasm, but took it in good humor. Carnivac was as surprised as Springer, and the entire Survivor's team. Carnivac was afraid he'd look like an idiot if he said anything, those sorts of things weren't his strong points, so he kept quiet and reasoned that was the closest Grimlock would ever come to a compliment to him, so felt he'd better be grateful for it.

The Survivors walked out of the Earthforce base.

"Well that wasn't so bad, was it?" Springer said. "For a moment there, I thought Grimmers was gonna either chew us up and spit us out, or make us give a speech"

Springer laughed and it became infectious. Here, with the Survivors, Carnivac felt at home. These people were his fellow Survivors - his friends. Those with whom he had forged a sacred warriors' bond. He felt he didn't have to hide his true self from them. At first he did, but found they understood him and cared for him, even when he had left them - even when he was in what Springer called one of his 'moods.' And Carnivac knew he was very moody. He felt he didn't fit in with the Decepticons - or Autobots. He had always been a loner and had wondered what to do with his life. He'd joined the Decepticons at first because he felt more suited to them. he couldn't see how the Autobots would tolerate his cranky or violent moods and wanting to do everything his way. he had always thought of the Autobots as weak until fate brought him fighting with Springer and his Wreckers, side by side in the Time War - and Carnivac realised Autobots were not weak. They were strong, honorable warriors, but still, he felt better suited to the Decepticons. He had disobeyed his direct orders "to kill every Autobot left standing" after the Time War. Springer had saved his life and Carnivac would not kill someone with such honor, even if he was on the opposing side. This was when Carnivac started questioning the Transformers war. What was it all for? His partner and best friend, Catilla had joined the Autobots because he had felt better suited to them, and Carnivac had respected that. He had joined the Survivors, but on his own terms, as a Decepticon. And then the events leading up to this day - Catilla was killed Carnivac was persecuted, hunted down and almost killed by the Decepticon Mayhem Attack Squad, but Carnivac had come out on top in the end, but that never brought Catilla back, or eased his pain at losing a friend, and it made him further question the war. Why couldn't they just have understood that Catilla was better suited to the Autobots and he - Carnivac would always be a Decepticon, but the bonds he forged with the Survivors were for life - unbreakable. The Decepticons never seemed to understand individuality. Everyone had a mind of their own - was it a crime to want to live your own life in the way which most benefits and suits you? Perhaps to them it was. They never seemed to understand that? Or perhaps they did and just didn't give a shits.

Perhaps this useless, senseless war would come to an end one day. It maddened Carnivac. he wanted to live his life the way he felt best, but this 'Autobots and Decepticons are mortal enemies' kept getting in the way. Carnivac wasn't totally free. Of course he could do whatever he wanted, but he wanted to be free to do so without risk.

Carnivac had gone off by himself in his white Arctic wolf mode, which he was grateful to the Earthforce for repairing. he was supposed to be looking for Decepticon activity, but secretly, ever since he became a Survivor, he had come to appreciate humans and their planet. He loved exploring the forests and had become quite caught up in the struggle to protect Earth's environment. So what if it wasn't his home planet? he felt more at home here than on Cybertron. He missed Cybertron, but daren't go back, in fear of being persecuted all over again. Carnivac was a Survivor, but he knew he wasn't indestructible. To believe that is foolish. The Mayhem Pretenders did and now they'd gone the way of the Do do's.

Carnivac enjoyed watching packs of Earth wolves, but was hesitant to approach them, in fear of disturbing their community. They were aware of him and some were weary, but he never went close enough to start an incident.

            * * *

Well, it wasn't exactly a headquarters, Spinister and Needlenose had converted a largish underground Decepticon weapons storage unit. Above was a barren stretch of desert-like land, a forest to the East, flat to the north, south and west and some mountain in the distance. The storage unit was secure and well hidden from prying eyes. It wasn't very large, and quite narrow, but big enough for both of them. The two Decepticons had gathered the weapons and transferred their energy into compressed energon cubes. Fortunately there was quite a lot of energy, as there were quite a lot of weapons, all charged. It amazed them at how many thousands of weapons were down here in this unit, and neither of them had paid much attention, although they'd both known weapons storage unity like this existed. They used some of the energy to power the base, limited essential lighting and for food. They used it sparingly, although there was quite a lot of energy, they knew it would not last forever.

Needlenose sat on a rock above and shrieked as he turned his head to see a white wolf charge him from the nearby forest, and knock him off his rock. He grabbed the wolf's forelegs and pushed them away from him as hard as he could, then heard a crack and a loud whimper from the wolf. Needlenose let the wolf go Needlenose realised he'd panicked at an Earth wolf. The wolf lay on the ground whimpering. Needlenose looked at her in surprise and saw the forelegs bleeding, red blood and a concerned expression came over his face. He picked up the wolf, who growled and snapped at him, but her teeth couldn't penetrate his metal skin.

Needlenose stepped down the ladder and made sure he shut and locked the sturdy door behind him, then entered the storage unit.

Spinister saw Needlenose holding the hurt Earth wolf. "What are you doing with that?" he demanded.

Needlenose explained. "...And when I saw she was an Earth wolf and not Carnivac, and that I'd injured her, well ... I Didn't mean to. She looked so much like him when she leapt on top of me and I -"

"What do I look like, Needlenose? The head of the World Wildlife Fund? This is not a charity for wounded animals. Get rid of it."

Needlenose looked disappointed in Spinister. He knew the other had been though a lot, and of course Decepticons weren't naturally the charitable type, but ...

"Argh... all right ...." Spinister growled. "Keep it here until it's better."

Needlenose smiled and took the wolf to his compartment - he couldn't exactly call it a quarters, cleared off a bunch of guns and laid her down on a ledge. The wolf seemed to know that the strange looking creature would not hurt her.

Needlenose had finished setting the wolf's bone. It wasn't as difficult as he thought it might be. The wolf seemed to understand that he was trying to help, and even though it hurt, she bore the pain.

Within a week, the wolf's bone had almost set. Needless to say, Spinister was quite pleased. Even though he'd made it quite clear that she was Needlenose's responsibility to look after her, and feed her, with birds and other animals he had caught. But Spinister wasn't too happy when he found her marking her territory on a stack of energon cubes, which he made Needlenose thoroughly clean.

"I'm taking her outside," Needlenose said, coming to Spinister. I guess the rock I was sitting on was part of her territory.

"Primitive," Spinister said, "but effective - it keeps her enemies of her kind away."

The wolf looked at Spinister, then licked his hand.

Needlenose giggled. "I think she likes you."

"Fine," he said, "just get her out of here."

The wolf gave Spinister an inquisitive look. Needlenose knew only too well that Spinister never let his inner feelings show - and would never let affection show no mater the reason. It was the way he had learnt to survive. he couldn't afford to look weak in the eyes of others, particularly his superiors and definitely not his subordinates. Needlenose felt he owed Spinister a lot. Spinister had believed him when no one else cared. he had saved his life - twice, and now, repaired him when anyone else would have used his body for scrap metal or spare parts and he would not forget that. He wished he could do something for Spinister. When he was by the rock outside, Needlenose put the wolf down.

"There you go."

The wolf looked up at Needlenose, seeming grateful, then walked back into the forest. Needlenose sat again on the rock and looked around. Apparently the wolf let him stay there. He wasn't invading her territory, just borrowing it.

The large white wolf entered the woods. It was like a second home to the one he already knew. He saw others like him, but he was different and felt he wouldn't fit in. The wolf prowled through the forest, not sure what he was looking for or what he wanted, or what there was to find, but he knew there was something. Something had drawn him here, as if it had called him here. For truth? His destiny? He did not know, but he did know he would find it here. The wolf walked on through the forest, the minimal light penetrating through the trees, and he saw other creatures, both day and nocturnal, mammal and non mammal, but they all kept their distance. He knew why, but he didn't feel rejected. They were protecting themselves and he couldn't blame them for that. Life was a wonderful, precious gift, for anyone - and he's fought so goddamn hard to protect his and his friends. But sometimes he felt surviving wasn't enough - as if there was something missing in his life and he couldn't quite put his paw on it.

The white wolf walked on, seeing more light in the distance, he began to walk toward it, sensing it wanted him to go there, and so he approached it, not knowing what to expect. The wolf saw the trees coming to an end, and a vast barren stretch of land stretching in all directions, but then something caught his eye - a split-second gleam of metal in the sun. The wolf turned his attention to where it was coming from, and saw the being sitting on a rock. The wolf's eyes became wide, then slitted, a growl, then his mouth turned upwards, bearing his teeth in a snarl and he leapt out of the bushed for an all-out attack.

Needlenose hit the ground hard, and his head hurt, resulting in slurred vision at first. He heard the wolf growling and he tried to stand, not wanting to make the same mistake as before, but the wolf held him down. Needlenose pushed harder, but the wolf held him fast.

"Sloppy, Needlenose ...." came a voice.

Needlenose gasped. "N ... no ... it can't be ... I'm imagining-" he hoped or that it was another Earthen wolf.

The wolf slashed his chest. "No, you're not imagining.."

"No .... Carnivac ... No! ... NO!"

Needlenose desperately tried to struggle away, but he didn't have the strength, no matter how desperately he tried.

"No body's going to save you Needlenose, just like they didn't before."

Needlenose's He struggled in vain and wanted to cry.

"Carnivac ... Carnivac .... AARGH!..." Needlenose yelped as Carnivac slammed him into the hard ground.

"Please..." Needlenose wailed. "...Not again... You already had your revenge ... PLEASE!"

"What makes you think my friend's death and the hell you bastards put me through isn't worth avenging again and again? I killed you once, Needlenose and there's nothing that's gonna stop me from doing it again - and this time I'll do a better job.  When I'm done, ripping you to shreds ... you'll make a tasty morsel."

Needlenose's eyes bulged and he shuddered.  Carnivac never bluffed. He knew that. "Please..." he wailed, his vision still blurred, he desperately tried to struggle away with all his might. Carnivac grinned at how hard the little Decepticon's doomed struggle The little one was no match for him. He would easily push harder onto Needlenose, but thought he'd amuse himself and let him try. The small, terrified Decepticon struggled like crazy.

"Please, Carnivac, I never hurt you. I ..."

Carnivac became outraged. "You blasted Mayhems persecuted me and killed Catilla. My friend - but then you wouldn't know what that means, would you?" Carnivac's mouth curled up in disgust.

"Bludgeon killed Catilla, not me. I never did anything to you."

"You, little cyber-shit, you ARE part of the Mayhem Squad.  You deserve to die --"

Needlenose's vision had cleared, to see, Carnivac's mouth, bearing all his ferocious teeth, and snarling viciously, his silver teeth glinting in the afternoon sun. Needlenose knew there was no way he could escape, and looked away, a tear falling on the dirt.

"Carnivac ...please ... I never-"

"He's right, Carnivac," came a voice. "Leave him."

Carnivac looked momentarily up to see Spinister.

"It's me you're after, Let Needlenose go," he said with a calmness he did not feel. In fact he's been in an utter panic when he saw Carnivac attacking Needlenose, and had tried to compose himself as best he could. Fortunately through the years he had a lot of practice, as it was a skill he needed often. He inwardly cursed that they had used all the energy from the weapons to survive. "Let him go," Spinister said again, maintaining his calm facade.

Carnivac grinned. Although Spinister kept his distance, he knew it would not stop Carnivac from tearing him apart right after Needlenose. He stood there, patient.

"After I'm done with Needlenose, I'll finish you."

Spinister also knew full well Carnivac was no bluffer.

"You know full well that Needlenose is not responsible for Catilla's death, or your persecution. He wasn't even there."

"He was part of your blasted Mayhem Squad."

"So? Bludgeon's the one that killed Catilla and he's dead. They're all dead. Oh, I know, as far as you're concerned, we're all guilty. A true warrior knows how to take true revenge, Carnivac."

"After the hell you bastards put me through..." Carnivac growled.

"Needlenose didn't put you through anything. He's struggled to get where he is today, no thanks to you. He had so much potential and you're practically destroyed him already. Imagine how you'd feel in his position."

Carnivac blinked for a moment. Is that concern in his voice? Concern from Spinister? He actually cares for Needlenose. His friend perhaps. It'd be the ultimate revenge if I - Carnivac became shocked at himself. No - I will not lower myself to their standards, even after what they did to me. Carnivac roughly pushed Needlenose aside with his massive paw.

"Your point is taken," he growled.

Spinister inwardly sighed with relief - and he knew there was no way out of this one for him. Am I doing the right thing by facing that which I most fear? Is it courage, or am I a bloody idiot?

"Don't think I'm gonna let you off so easy, Spinister," the wolf growled. "You may not have killed Catilla, but you made both our lives hell. Have you any idea what you and your blasted cronies put us through? You and your #*@%!^& pompous arrogant posturing 'Die Carnivac, for the good of the Decepticons' ... blah, blah, blah. I'd rather listen to Earth commercials."

"I had my orders, Carnivac. Decepticon High Command ordered us to Terminate you and Catilla for-"

"For what? Fighting for what we believed in? Wanting to live our lives as we saw fit?"

"For deserting the Decepticons."

"I did not desert. See this insignia? It's a Decepticon symbol. I did not join the Autobots. Catilla did and I respected his choice. He was more suited to them. As for me, I've always been a Decepticon and I always will be - but on my own terms. I've never been good at following orders or yapping around my superiors heels, like an Earth puppy, eager to please, like you seem to be so fond of. My so called orders after the Time War were 'to kill every Autobot left standing,' which I had originally planned to do. Springer, of the Wreckers team risked his life to save me - twice - and I was his enemy. I'm not the sort of person who forgets that sort of thing, y'know. I don't blast opponents in the back, or those who are down or weaker than myself. It's not my way. It's not honorable to take advantage of those weaker than you," and Carnivac stopped, realizing that's exactly what he had done to Needlenose, twice, and he was sorry for it. "And I certainly wouldn't turn on someone who saved my life by choice." he said. "Any pathetic fool can kill those weaker than him in a battle, but a true warrior seeks challenge. Not the easy way out. Would you call me a wimp, Spinister?"

The Decepticon was silent.

"Would you?"

"No," the reply came, barely audible.  "But if you talk of honour and not killing those weaker than yourself, what say you for what you did to Needlenose?

It was Carnivac's turn for silence.

"Or do you turn a blind optic to your morals and honour what it suits you?"

"I am not perfect," Carnivac said.  "Perhaps my anger with Needlenose was misguided."

Spinister knew it took a lot for Carnivac to admit he was in error and he respected that. 

"I had to fight hard for what I believed in," Carnivac said. "Before the Time War neither my or Catilla's path was clear. Oh, sure, I pretended I knew exactly where I was going, but Springer made it clear. There'd been too much killing in the Transformers war. Too many sacrifices, lived lost. And for what? I found more joy in saving and protecting life than I ever did destroying it. Life is one of those things - when it's there, it's unique and special. When it's gone, it's gone. I am not a traitor, as the warped Decepticon High Command may have thought. Most of the Decepticons, ever ready for battle, to kill  ... Autobots too. I'm forced to wonder when will it all end - if it will end. I'm tired of fighting. As you know this blasted war has raged on for over nine million years. That's millions of years before you and I were created. I want to know what peace is like. All I have ever known is war."

Spinister opened his mouth to say something, but Carnivac wouldn't let him.

"I lost my best and closest friend because of this F#$%*& war - and I had to live in fear. What sort of a society hunts down people who express their own beliefs - beliefs which would make fir for a better world."

"I-"

"I'll tell you - they want power. All the bastards want is power - and they ain't gonna get it if the Autobots and Decepticons sign a truce with each other."

"Carnivac, I-"

"SILENCE!!"

The wolf leapt onto the unarmed Spinister. "You almost killed me 'for the good of the Decepticons.' What good would that have don anyway? The Decepticon High Command would have stopped anyone who dared to be different or who dared to believe in peace between our both sides. I've seen little pieces of it here and there - pieces of peace and I like what I see. We could all benefit from it, but it's like an unfinished jigsaw and every time a new piece fits into the whole, some bastard comes and dismantles it."

Spinister struggled against Carnivac. "I believed what I was doing back then was right."

"Oh, and I suppose you want to tell me that you're sorry now and beg forgiveness?" The words dripped with sarcasm. "You and your pathetic life. Scrap that, you've got no life, Spinister - you're boring as hell - afraid to show your true feelings - if you do feel. Terrified you'll look weak in the eyes of others. You don't have the guts to say whet needs to be said, but you muddle along in your boring life with no honor, too much of a coward to face your greatest fears - rejection, ridicule from the other Decepticons. Afraid you'd get knocked form your high horse. You're pathetic."

Spinister took a deep breath. he wanted to feel angry at the intensity of Carnivac's words, but all he said was, "I know," because deep in his heart, Spinister knew it to be true.

"You surprise me," Carnivac said, "at least you've got the guts to admit it and speaking of guts ... perhaps you do have some I can rip out..."

Spinister managed to free his hand and push Carnivac's clawed paw away, but the wolf slashed back at Spinister's face and slammed his free hand to the ground. Spinister knew struggling wouldn't help him.

"Carnivac .... there's something I need to tell you."

"Save it. I don't need anymore of your bullshite."

"Carnivac, I -"

Carnivac dug his claws into Spinister's side. "We don't need any more of your kind, Spinister - you and others like you will be our destruction. The war will never come to an end unless people like you-"

"Carnivac, that's what I want to tell you. I barely escaped from Cybertron. I knew it would be dangerous to return to Earth, but it was the only place I could go..."

"Awww...." Carnivac said, dripping with sarcasm.

Spinister ignored it and continued. "The Decepticon High Command had undergone many changes since I returned to Cybertron with the Mayhem Squad, as you know, they killed Stranglehold and Octopunch. I don't know why they spared me. Bludgeon escaped but was killed shortly after by the Autobots. A few months ago, Cybertron became a dictatorship. The Decepticon High Command ordered the destruction of all Autobots and Autobot sympathisers - or anyone suspected of dealing with the Autobots. They had the ultimate power. Many of the Autobots starved to death and when they came out to search for energy, they were mercilessly slaughtered. Millions of Autobots were killed, and a large number of Decepticons rumoured or suspected to be sympathetic to them. There were no trials, just torture and execution. It was an ugly sight, Carnivac, even for a Decepticon to bear. Millions of mutilated bodies lying strewn across the Cybertronian countryside. Many of the bodies were melted down or used fro scrap. Communication between Cybertron and Earth was purposely severed and so was the space bridge. The Decepticon High Command warned no further contact with Earth - they considered it a worthless hunk of rock and a waste of time and looked down of the Transformers here, and humans were beyond their notice. They had eyes and ears everywhere. You had to be careful what you said. They'd kill a Decepticon in without a second thought, or even a first one if suspected of having feelings or thoughts against them - and for those who reported others of having such thoughts were greatly rewarded."

For the first time in his life, Carnivac actually believed Spinister. he could see in the Decepticons eyes that he was telling the truth and Carnivac found himself feeling sick. He'd read about and learned the Nazi regime on Earth, and other such forms of government and had always felt grateful that nothing like that had ever happened on Cybertron. He felt ashamed of his own people. Carnivac allowed Spinister to stand.

"So, what happened?"

"I knew these hard-line Decepticons would destroy the Decepticon cause," Spinister said. "This was not our way, not like this, well it wasn't my way. I acted in the best interests of the true Decepticon cause."

Carnivac waited. "What did you do?"

"I helped the Autobots trick all the hard-line leaders and their followers to attending an important conference inside the main Decepticon headquarters, which we had rigged to explode. When they were all inside, we blew it to kingdom come."

Carnivac stared at Spinister. "You?"

Spinister nodded. "I did it for the best. I could see, so could others that this destruction was not serving us - it was meaning less, and you were right, Carnivac. I never had the guts to say my piece - to say what I really felt. I knew what I was doing was extremely risky and there was a good change I would be killed, probably painfully, but I felt I had to take it. It was a necessary risk. The Autobots took over when was left of the headquarters, which wasn't much at all, killed the few opposing Decepticons. The remaining Decepticons, many of them who had been in the war since it started, like Soundwave, Shockwave and many others agreed to sign a truce with the Autobots, finally seeing that course of action would most benefit both sides. I barely escaped. I was captured by some hard line Decepticons who ha d escaped the explosion and I barely escaped with my life. I ran into a space bridge terminal and activated it, and miraculously it worked and I ended up here and I repaired my .... friend, Needlenose. I sent a message to Cybertron via the space bridge on the hard-line Decepticons who had escaped and hopefully they've been killed."

"That's heavy," was all Carnivac could say, after hearing Spinister's story.

Spinister nodded in agreement.

"Well," Carnivac said, "I guess you do have something in you after all."

Spinister nodded. "A pity it took me so many years and such a hard lesson to find out."

"I still don't like you, much at all, Spinister," Carnivac said, "but after what you've just told me, I'd say you have potential."

Spinister smiled. "Coming from you, I take that as a compliment."

Out of the corner of Carnivac's eye, he saw Needlenose beginning to regain consciousness and slowly get to his feet. The small Decepticon stood, looked around and froze when he saw Spinister standing with Carnivac.

There was a lengthy pause, then Spinister took a deep breath. "I'd say we've sorted this out," he said.

"We have?" Needlenose said, making no attempt to hide his surprise or nervousness.  Needlenose looked over to Carnivac, then to Spinister ... and fainted.

 

Carnivac reported what Spinister had told him to the Autobot Earthforce. Some, especially Grimlock was skeptical and suspicious, but Carnivac had expected that, since the news came from a Decepticon.

The nest few weeks were spent trying to re-establish contact with Cybertron. The space bridge was repaired and within a few weeks, contact had been reestablished too. The Autobots on Earth had learned every word Spinister told Carnivac was true. They learned of the treaty the Autobots and Decepticons had signed and they reported all hard-line Decepticons had been killed. Spinister and Needlenose had returned to the Decepticons on Earth and Spinister had told them what he had told Carnivac and they had finally realised that peace was in the best interests of both factions. If they stayed enemies, Cybertron, Earth and many other worlds who had the misfortune of being dragged into this war would be forever devastated by the charred destruction wars left in their wake. The war was finally over and peace was favored. It still had quite a way to go. Much needed to be done, but at least it was a start, a strong hope in over nine million years.

 

Spinister and Needlenose had left, as did many other Autobots and Decepticons. Some had never known what it was like with no war. For the first time, they were free. Free to explore the universe to explore their dreams the war ha shattered, or to fulfil dreams they never knew they had.

 

In wolf mode, Carnivac prowled through a dark forest, alone, as he liked to be. The darkness soft, and the gentle night forest noises intrigues him and have him a sense of home. This is where he wanted to be. He felt there was something missing and longed for Catilla to be with him, to have seen the end of the war, to be experiencing the new freedom with him. Carnivac had taken what seemed like an eternity to come to terms with his friend's death, and didn't want to mourn forever. He loved Catilla, but he needed his soul to be free. Carnivac thought of his friend, and how he'd never have another friend like Catilla. And then it dawned on him. Springer. Springer had become ad close and dear to him as Catilla, although he'd never realised - and the Survivors. He'd die for them if it was called upon him to do so. They were all his friends, even though Carnivac hadn't thought about them in that way before, and he was grateful for them, but even so, he still missed Catilla. He lay down on a pile of soft leaf mulch, spread his forelegs out in front of him and rested his chin on them.

 

A while later, Carnivac sniffed the air. Another was approaching - and was quite close. His head lifted instantly to see a white Earth wolf standing a couple of meters away, looking quite curious. Strange, Carnivac thought, as all Earth wolves he'd encountered had been weary or afraid of him. the wolf came closer, sniffed him and made a strange whimper like sound. From the pitch Carnivac knew instantly that it was a she wolf. He stood up and began to walk away, but she followed.

"What do you want?" he snapped, but of course, she couldn't understand him.

He stood there, leaned closer to him and licked some dirt off his cheek, then she began to play. Carnivac was caught by surprise. All through him life he'd been serious. he'd never frolicked, or allowed himself leisure time, never rolled around in the grass ... Blow that ... he thought and joined in the tumbling, and enjoyed it too. He felt at home here, as if he'd found that missing something in his life, even with Catilla, he'd never played like this. It was a wonderful feeling. Carnivac felt an indescribable sense of pure freedom. The she wolf wanted to be with him. He could tell from the way she looked at him that she knew he was different, but it didn't bother her. Inwardly Carnivac had always felt hurt that other Earth wolves hadn't accepted him, but she had, and in the time to come he would fight many male Earth wolves for her, or course winning every time, due to his superior size, but he never seriously hurt them.

He decided to call her Mishkaa, which in Ancient Cybertronian meant 'special jewel,' as that's what she meant to him. He vowed to protect her with his life. He thought about his friend Catilla, lost as a casualty of war and felt a twinge of guilt.

Go, Carnivac, My Dearest Friend. Do not let grief rule you. I appreciate it and I would have done the same for you. I got what I wanted - my freedom. It cost me my life, but I died free.

A tear rolled down Carnivac's furry cheek and was absorbed by the soil beneath him.

"I shall, Catilla, My friend," he said, "but you will never be forgotten."

 

Carnivac gestured for Mishkaa to come with him. She seemed to have sensed that he wanted to be alone in those few moments.

 

Carnivac had returned to the Survivors with Mishkaa. She seemed uneasy at first, but trusted Carnivac.

"Got yourself a girlfriend, eh, buddy?" Springer smiled.

She growled when he approached.

"Hey easy, I'm not gonna hurt you, Girl."

Carnivac snickered with somewhat of an embarassed look.  "She thinks you're makin' move on me."

 "Hey, Sister, he's all yours..."

Carnivac grinned. Although he was with Mishkaa now, and felt his destiny lay with her, he would always be a Survivor.

Springer felt grateful and happy for Carnivac. He's been though hell, he deserves fulfilment in his life and I hope all the best for him. Springer watched the white wolves lose themselves in the woods and hoped the best for his friend. He and the Survivors would always be here for him.

 

Carnivac licked Mishkaa's nose and her face, feeling grateful to be free with her, without the burden of guilt and without the war, which would put her in danger, and he would have done the same for Catilla if he was in his place.

Carnivac walked with Mishkaa to a natural clearing in the forest and looked up at the darkening sky, with the last remnants of the crimson clouds fading away, as the sun sailed away over the horizon.

Now, standing with her, in the forest, illuminated only by starlight and the moon, Carnivac looked into Mishkaa's beautiful large, dark eyes and saw the devotion in them, and he saw himself in those eyes and found his heart opening to love. He loved Mishkaa so much he realised he would do anything for her, even let her go if she wanted to, but she wanted to be with him. Carnivac smiled and did something he'd always wanted to do - howl at a full moon. It sounded distant and strange at first, but when Mishkaa joined him with her beautiful voice, it sounded as natural as the Earth and the sky, their voices carrying on the wind.   Finally, Carnivac felt as peace.

He was home.

He was free.

 

*

 

 Back to Decepticon Page

 

Back to Transformers Page