Disclaimer:  Knight Rider was created by Glen A. Larson.

 

Author's note:  Story is slightly AU in that it takes place in the late 90's, though there is no RC. And it is *not* Knight Rider 2000.  Acknowledgements at end of story.

 

Summary:  FLAG are trying to stop an evil, greedy mechanical genius from holding the world hostage.  KITT goes to stop him and gets more than he bargained for.

 

Rating M  (Some profanity, nudity) - Drama

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

KNIGHT RIDER

 

 

K.I.T.T  'N  CABOODLE

 

 

Creed Deacon, a regular bad ass, sat in the bunker with his hired hands, Trey Anex, Castaway Ares, Agenco Eve, and mistress, Mary Blue. Through the window of their secured bunker, they watched a an oblong cube on wheels, a tank with no gun barrel, riding bumpily across the Californian Mojave desert.

  "'Junior' is ready," Deacon announced proudly, gesturing melodramatically, as if he was showing off his new born son.

  "Very cute," Trey sneered.

A small turret like gun protruded from a hole in the middle of the contraption.  'Junior' fired a disintegration ray.  Its target, a large boulder was seen to instantly disintegrate.

  "Cute indeed!" Castaway agreed.

  "With this," Deacon scoffed with a smug smile, "we'll have the world by the balls."

  "How does the thing work, exactly?" Agenco inquired.  "It's not a laser?"

  "No," Creed said, glad questions were being asked.  He was eager to show off his 'baby.'  "It works by molecular recomposition.  The molecules of that rock are still there, but are now being scattered by the wind.  Junior is a high class disintegrator, if you will."

Mary Blue watched the film intently, quite horrified at what this thing could do, but never let her shock show.  Unbeknownst to the others in the room, the scantily clad Femme wasn't just another pretty face and sexy bod.  The information on Deacon being 'up to something' had leaked to her organisation - from an informant.  However, this informant had been killed before he could discover exactly what Deacon was 'up to.'  It was hard enough to sneak herself into Deacon's intricate spider's web, being done up like a professional whore, then to turn on the fake air-headedness, charm and obedience a shallow man expected from a mistress.  Quite frankly, the man made her sick.  She knew she'd be killed - at the very least, held hostage if they found out who she really was, but without this information on what Deacon's plans, Bonnie Barstow knew the world would be at this sadist's mercy.

 

It had been at least two hours after Deacon had shown off his 'baby' when Trey came to him.

  "You're not gonna like this, it turns out that FLAG got wind of our little operation."

Bonnie hid her nervousness by looking innocent, appearing to be a dim-witted, pretty bimbo.

  "I thought the informant was eliminated," Deacon spat.

  "He was - but obviously his little message got to FLAG - and they know we're up to sumthin'."

  "Well that's just great ... I go to all the trouble ... Well you know what they say ... No peace for the wicked ... Well if FLAG wanna know what I'm up to, let them come and find out! I'm sure Junior is up to a field test."

Trey gave a humourless smile at Creed's reference to his machine.  Bonnie went cold and a shiver traversed her body, but a true professional, she kept her cool.

Deacon stood up and walked over to her.

  "Don't you worry, Marykins, darlin.'  No one can touch us, not with the power I have now..." 

He traced a finger down her face.  She wanted to bite it.  He drew her closer and kissed her.  Although Bonne wanted to resist, to do so would be to blow her cover and jeopardise her life and FLAG's operation.  She wanted to retch and bite down as hard as she could when she felt Deacon's slimy tongue slide down her throat, but pretended like she was having the time of her life, and when he broke away form her, she flashed him a big white 'toothpaste ad' smile and kissed him on the cheek.

  "Was it good for you too?" she purred, proud of herself for making it look so good, despite the unpleasantness in her mouth.

  "Sure was, Delicious."  He grabbed her breast.

  "Oo!  Y' cheeky thing!"  Bonnie smiled, giving him a pat on the cheek, inside feeling violated and wanting to kick the guy where it would hurt most.

Creed grinned.

Bonnie flicked her hair, then reached into her pocket and popped a piece of Big Red chewing gum into her mouth and talked as she chewed.  "Hun, ya mind if I go do some shoppin'?  I mean I like seriously gotta get me some new rags."

  "Sure, baby ... But just remember, nothing about Junior leaves this room."

  "Babe, it's our little secret, you me and the boys."

  "Just as long as you remember that.  You remember what I had our 'boys' do to the informant..."

  "Deak, like ya don't have ta threaten me, already.  Y'know I won't blab.  I mean like you've promised me more than any girl could hope for ..."  She hugged him and kissed his cheek.  "Love ya, babe."

  "I want you back in three hours."

  "No problemo, Sweetie."

Bonnie slung her hot pink scarf over her shoulder and left the room, employing a sexy hip walk, but not before she heard Deacon whisper, "hah, beautiful, sexy and stupid..."

//That's what you think.  Bastard.//

Of course Bonnie had no intention of shopping.  Although she had thought of buying some more cinnamon chewing gum to get rid of the awful taste that lingered in her mouth, though right now, her main prerogative was to get back to FLAG, and as long as Deacon thought she was a dumb brunette, she would be safe.  She entered the shopping complex and looked in a few clothing boutiques, to shake any James Bond Villain Wannabes and only left the complex when she was certain she was not being followed, spat out the chewing gun in the nearest garbage bin, and made her way to the waiting concealed FLAG mobile unit, which set in motion the second she was aboard. 

 

Needless to say, Bonnie was grateful to be back safely in the big black truck, clad in more conservative attire, and to have given her toothbrush a fair beating.  "Too bad it doesn't come with a warranty..."

  "I apologize profusely," Devon said, contrite, "to have put you through that.  Chewing gum... errgh... That's way above and beyond the call of duty.  Nice touch though."  He smiled.

Bonnie did too.  "All in the line of duty, Devon."  She washed her hands.  "I was glad I could pull it off..."

  "Bonnie, if I had an Oscar, I'd give you one."

She smiled again.  "Thanks, Devon, but I'll settle for nailing Deacon and his cronies and putting 'Junior' out of commission."

  "I'm glad you're back safely too, Bonnie," KITT said.  "I was worried about you in the hands of that ogre."

She smiled.  "Thanks, Kitt.  You know it's really nice to come back to people who care."

  "Yah.  That Deacon sounds like a real piece of work all right," Michael snorted, hating the thought of anyone taking advantage of Bonnie.  "So, how do we stop the bastard?"

  "Well, we have a plan," Bonnie said, trying to hide the fact that although confident in the plan, she was worried.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

She brushed some hair away from her face as she tinkered inside KITT's hood.

   "There," the technician said, standing upright  "I've finished installing a similar laser device like the one we used to try to nail Karr.  Only this time it's more powerful, a wider beam, and you'll have three shots at most.  A good thing is that 'Junior' isn't half as fast or as manoeuvrable as you or Karr."

  "Thank goodness for that," KITT said.  "Now that would be scary."

  "But," Bonnie said, "the drawback is, IT can fire off more shots in less time and its armour is half a meter thick, protected by a shield, somewhat similar to your Molecular Bondage Shell, but not as strong.  However it's impervious to aerial attack and conventional weapons.   So far I haven't been bale to crack into Deacon's code to shut it down.  You'll need one shot to pierce the armour and the other two to blow it to kingdom come.  Not much of a margin of error, I'm afraid.  They'll spot you on their scanners, so you'll have to be quick.  I suggest silent mode for your approach ... The laser will create a drain on your systems, Kitt, as you're not designed to operate weaponry and it'll take too long to configure your systems for a more substantial weapon."

  "You did your best, Bonnie," KITT said, "And I'm happy to at least have a crack at the thing.  From what I've learned about it, it's one nasty piece of work!"

  "Believe everything nasty you've heard about it, Kitt," Bonnie said.

  "And one more thing," Devon said.  "You're to pull out if the plan fails.  We can't afford to lose you Kitt, but although we can retreat to lick our wounds to fight another day, it's imperative we do not fail.  Every second we lose is a second Deacon gains."

  "Understood, Devon."

 

Michael stood with his hand on KITT's hood.

  "Michael," KITT said when Bonnie had left, "I didn't want to express my misgivings in front of Bonnie, seeing she worked so hard on the laser and suffered most unpleasant experiences in the hands of that brute, but I'm not sure I can pull it off."

  "We gotta, Pal.  From what's been goin' down, this laser's the only weapon that can stop that thing."

  "I know, but that horrible machine can stop us too ... I mean one shot and ..."

  "I know, Kitt, I know ... I'm not too thrilled about the thought of my molecules scattered all over the Californian countryside either."

  "Did you have to put it like that?"

  "Well it's true, isn't it?"

  "Michael, sometimes I wonder if you can read my mind."

  "Intuition, Buddy.  Ready to roll?"

  "It's facing that monstrosity I'm not sure I'm ready for."

  "Keep your spirits high, Buddy."

  "I intend to."

The back entrance to the FLAG Mobile unit opened.  KITT reversed.  Was it Michael's imagination or was KITT leaving without him?

  "Kitt, what are y' doin'?"

  "I'm sorry, Michael, but if I get hit by that thing, you'll be vaporised too." He continued to reverse.

  "Oh, no y' don't..."

KITT showed no sign of changing his mind.

  "Kitt!"

The car pulled out.  Michael chased him part of the way.

  "Kitt!  You get back here!  Right Now!"

  "I can't jeopardise your life, Michael,  - you know that."

  "I'm gonna override you, Buddy," Knight warned.

  "I'm sorry, Michael, I can't let you do that."

  "Kitt! ... Kitt!!"

The black Trans-Am sped down the highway, reluctantly ignoring Michael.  The defeated human retreated back aboard the black truck, which had always reminded him of the TARDIS form Dr. Who - always seeming bigger inside than out.  He sat down with a thud, half furious with KITT, the other half deeply respecting his friend's concern for his safety.

Bonnie smiled at KITT's outright show of independence, and was confident in his abilities, but was worried about him and hoped more than anything that he made it back safely.  Her thoughts were with KITT all the way.  She didn't think she could forgive herself if he didn't make it.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Michael wasted no time hiring a car, for which FLAG footed the bill.  From the side, the silver Toyota looked somewhat like a De Lorean, which was a little plus in Michael's opinion, but didn't hold a headlight to KITT.  Knight decided to make his own way to the where KITT's last transmission emulated.  A town ironically called ...

  "Barstow, ah?  Gotta tell Bonnie about this place."

However Michael had more pressing concerns on his mind right now.  He wasn't going to sit idly by and let his friend's life be jeopardised without him.  As always Devon told him to be careful and Bonnie told him to look out for KITT - and of course himself too.

 

 

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

He activated Silent Mode, not that that would do any good against their scanners, but it would give him a little advantage.

 

KITT suspected Michael wouldn't be 'sitting on his butt,' he was unaware of his friend's exact motives.  He went over and over his mission in his CPU.  It seemed simple enough.  Track down the machine, shoot, then skedaddle, although he felt somewhat awkward without Michael in the driver's seat for such an important mission and hoped his human companion wasn't too mad with him.

 

KITT's scanner picked up the machine over the next rise.  It was now or never.  He Turbo Boosted over the rise, landing less than half a kilometre away from the machine.

 

  "It's that FLAG car!" Castaway yelled, in the secured bunker.

  "Perfect ..." Deacon smiled.  "I wondered when we'd flush Knight out ..."

  "There's nobody driving!"

  "Damn!" Deacon hissed.  "Well no matter - first we'll deal with that snazzy car of his."

Creed wasn't the only one in the bunker with a beef against FLAG.  He activated 'Junior.'

 

KITT saw the machine swing around in his direction and knew he had been detected.  Evasive manoeuvres were in order.  KITT avoided the first blast.  He was hoping to get off the first shot.  No such luck.  Fortunately the cumbersome thing wasn't nearly as agile as him.  KITT skidded and aimed the laser right on target, and something unexpected happened - a wide blue beam shot out from the rear of the machine.  KITT felt nothing as the wave of energy hit him.  It didn't even tickle his sensor, however he was sure it wasn't just a pretty light show and that it didn't spell good news for him.  He instantly checked his systems, but none seemed to be affected.  KITT fired the laser and could have gasped when no beam shot out.  He tried again.  Still nothing ...  And the machine was turning to face him.  KITT tried to pull out, and realised with a shock, he was immobilised.  His wheels were revolving as fast as they could, and doing nothing more than kicking up sand and dust.  The harder he tried, the more strain it caused.  Again KITT tried to fire, but it wouldn't blast and he could feel the laser overheating inside his hood, any more and it'd blow.  KITT was in a panic now.  Nothing he did seemed to move him an inch.  He couldn't even call for help.

 

Inside the bunker Deacon's mouth curved into a cruel smile.

  "You'd almost think it's alive the way it's struggling."

  "Like doomed prey in the mouth of a predator," Trey said, his cold eyes flickering.

  "Well it'll soon be out of its misery ..." Deacon smiled, "but first ..." He activated a video screen, and transmitted to FLAG. "I know you're there, Miles ... Now watch this... We've captured your super car and immobilised it ..."

Both Devon and Bonnie's faces conveyed their horror at seeing KITT's predicament.

  "And I intend to destroy it."

  "No!" Bonnie exclaimed, and instantly regretted displaying in her voice how valuable KITT was.

Deacon looked somewhat surprised.  "So you were the other spy, Mary dear ..."

  "Yes and it's Bonnie."

  "So was it good for you too?  Great tush, Hun."

Bonnie stared at him coldly, unfazed.  "Let Kitt go," she said.  "Please. He's-"

  "You expect me to show mercy ... for a car?  The thing is simply in my way and you know what I do to anything in my way."

  "Yes, you've made that quite obvious," Devon said, disgust in his voice.  He didn't bother to tell Deacon that KITT was a HE - the bugger simply wouldn't've given a damn.

Creed Deacon smiled, and began to push down on the button.

  "Wait .." Devon said, carefully hiding his desperation.   He had to save KITT.  "I'm sure we cam make a deal."

  "Now you're just playing for time, old man.  You have nothing I want."  Deacon pushed the button.

  "KITT!!  NO!!!" Bonnie screamed in horror.

Devon stood in silence, feeling as though he'd been blinded.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Junior's concealed weapon compartment instantly flapped open and a small turret poked out.  KITT tried desperately to break the immobilised hold, but it was no use.  Fear gripped him.  Was this it?  Was he about to trip the Light Fantastic?  Was there an Afterlife?  Were there such things as Past and Future lives?  As the merciless orange beam streaked toward KITT, his last thought, above his fear was gratitude that he had left Michael behind on this one.  At least his friend was safe.

  "Goodbye, Michael, Bonnie, Dev-" KITT whispered, seconds before impact, and then the Knight Industries Two Thousand vanished.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Tears welled in Bonnie's eyes and streaked her pale cheeks.

  "No ... No ..." She shook her head.  "I can't ... bel...ieve he's go..one ... Nooohhh ..."  Her voice trembled.  Bonnie gasped and covered her mouth.

Devon placed his hand on her shoulder.

Right now Bonnie wished that she wasn't such an experienced technician.  Otherwise she may have had some hope that Deacon had played a phoney image, but she knew better.  She tried to quieten her sobs, as Devon comforted her.  He wouldn't permit himself to cry, but he felt KITT's loss no less than she.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

In frustration, Michael Knight returned to the FLAG Mobile Unit.  He had been unable to locate KITT or call Devon.  KITT had quite literally given him the slip.

He felt strange driving the De Lorean look alike into the Unit, but was eager to learn of KITT's progress.  He saw Bonnie with her back to him and resisted the urge to say 'Honey, I'm home...'

Bonnie barely seemed to notice him.  Truth was, she couldn't bring herself to tell him what had happened.

  "Any word from Kitt?" Michael asked.  "When he comes back, I'm gonna spank his circuits real good!"

Usually Bonnie would've smiled, but not today.  She couldn't bare to face Michael.

  "What's up?" Michael asked.  "You pissed off with me, or somethin'? ... I'm sorry if I sounded hard on Kitt, before, but it was kind of a shock, y'know ... him takin' off like that ..."

Bonnie sighed and turned to him.  Michael had to know. 

  "What's the matter?" he asked, instantly concerned when he saw her bloodshot eyes.  "You get fired or somethin'?"  He realised that didn't even make her smile.  Bonnie was far too valuable to FLAG to let go, although she appreciated his effort to try and cheer her up.

  "How's Kitt doin'? ..."

Bonnie could hold it back no longer.  "THEY KILLED HIM, MICHAEL!"  She thumped herself into a chair, covered her face and burst into tears, feeling as though they'd murdered her only child ... and very close friend.

Bonnie's words hit Michael like he'd been rammed KARR at full throttle, though not her anger or rage - that wasn't directed at him.

Michael shook his head.  "No ... Kitt can't be dead ... He just can't ..." He couldn't believe that.  "But if he's damaged you can fix him, right?"

Bonnie sniffed, looked up and shook her head." There's nothing left ... to fi..ix ..." A tear splashed onto her knee, on which she rested her chin. "Play ... that ... video," she said, pointing her voice and finger shaking.

Michael inserted it into the machine.  Bonnie did not want to look.

It finally hit home with a piercing blow when Michael saw KITT's body disintegrate.  He shook his head in disbelief, his eyes wide, then took Bonnie's hand and gently squeezed it.  Bonnie threw her arms around Michael and held him tightly, sobbing quietly.  He embraced her gently, wishing he could ease her pain, but he ached as much as she did.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Michael sat alone in the silver Toyota, face wet with tears.  He removed his hands from the wheel to wipe his cheeks, and jerked when he lost control of the car.  He wasn't used to an ordinary automobile.  He grabbed the wheel and steered it back onto the road and glared at its plain dash.

  "You ain't got nothin' on Kitt," he spat, but he knew it was hardly the car's fault.  It was just a machine and KITT had been so much more.  Michael slammed his fist down on the hire car's dashboard.  KITT had been the best friend and partner he'd ever had.  He was never as close to anyone as he had been to KITT.  Knight knew he had to focus.  He'd be no use to anyone if he let KITT's death cloud his judgement, but nevertheless, he was gonna get Creed Deacon good for what he did - and he'd be damned if he was going to let KITT's sacrifice be in vain.  This had gone beyond FLAG business.  Now it was personal.  It was for KITT.

 

 

Bonnie busied herself by constructing a new laser.  Devon could see that however much she buried herself in her work, it wasn't getting her mind off KITT as she had hoped it would.  Bonnie brushed hair and tears away. 

  "He died doing his duty, Bonnie."

  "I know ... but that doesn't take the pain away ...."

He gently patted her shoulder.  "Believe me, I know."

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

A blinding flash of light followed by a flash of pain, and then blackness.  Was this the Afterlife?  *Was* there an afterlife for cars sentient or otherwise? KITT wondered.  Silicon Heaven or Silicon Valhalla he'd heard it referred to in some science fiction shows, but did it truly exist?  KITT realised it was quite hot here, then a gentle, pleasant cool breeze washed over him.  KITT activated his optical sensors and took in his surroundings.  Trees, grass ... Was this what Heaven looked like - silicon or otherwise?  He looked ahead and saw a large naked Ancient Greek grey stone sculpture, which he recognised to be that of Hades, Lord of the Underworld - Lord of the Dead.  The statue seemed to have kind eyes, and that was comforting.  Maybe this was the Elysian Fields, the Afterlife the Ancient Greeks believed in?  Suddenly KITT became afraid and felt cold and alone.  Was he truly dead?   The sound of a horn honking made him gasp.  He looked around and saw a green kombi van speed past, decorated with coloured Peace symbols ... A road ... Wait a minute... McDonalds? ... KITT definitely knew he wasn't in Heaven now.  Silicon or otherwise.  Silicon Hell perhaps? ... If such places even existed ... No, he was still on Earth, same time, but how in Hades did he get here?  Was this a dream?  It definitely didn't feel like one.  On a roadside in the middle of a town.  The town's name was on one of the shops in the street.  KITT made a mental note to tell Bonnie of it.  He tried to perform a systems check, but it didn't work for some reason.  He then tried activating his scanner, but that wouldn't work either.  He deduced that machine had damaged his systems.  KITT began to get frustrated, then frowned.  Something was most definitely amiss.  KITT looked at himself.  "Oh my Goodness!..." KITT gasped.  "I have to find Michael..."

Part of him wished he was dreaming.

 

                                                                       *  *  *


Michael arrived in Barstow and parked the 'De Lorean.'

  "Kitt, go into Surveilan- ..." Michael stopped and sighed as he climbed out of the car and slammed the door shut.  "Stupid car, doesn't even have a decent tape deck ... let alone Surveillance Mode ..."

Michael made sure he activated the central locking.  Devon wouldn't be too pleased if FLAG had to foot the bill for a stolen car.

Bonnie had equipped Michael's wristwatch communicator to detect the signature of Deacon's machine and the Mobile Unit was on its way.  Michael was going to miss talking with KITT through that communicator, but for now, he focused himself on the task ahead.  He couldn't detect 'Junior's' electronic signature, but something was definitely going down here.  The watch detected something faint.  Not much, but at least it was a lead.  He walked over to a string of shops and, fast food joints and other slightly more up market restaurants.

  "Michael!"

Knight spun to the sound of the raised voice and saw a tall, slender woman, clad in a long black body hugging dress, curly wavy dark auburn hair bouncing as she rushed toward him from across the street.

// Must be my lucky day ...//

  "Oh, thank goodness I found you..."

The woman seemed relieved and out of breath.  She grabbed Michael's arm and lead him into the nearest restaurant.

  "What's goin' on here?!" Michael demanded, disliking being pulled about.  He jerked his arm free.

A young waiter, not older then twenty approached them.  His name badge read Sabian.  "May I take your order, please?"

  "Just bring us two freshly squeezed pineapple juices please," the woman said rapidly, sitting down.

Sabian nodded and left. 

Michael sat down opposite.  Not wanting to create a scene, he lowered his voice.  "Now what's this all about?"

  "You may not believe what I'm about to tell you, Michael, but Kitt wasn't destroyed."

  "What?!  But ... How do you know? Do you work for Deacon?"

The woman took a deep breath.  "No ... Kitt wasn't destroyed, because .... because I'm sitting right here.  Don't ask me how, but that machine altered my molecular structure and-"

  "What ... You're tellin' me that you're Kitt??"

  "Essentially, yes."

Michael eyed the woman, not convinced in the least.  "You seriously expect me to believe you? ... You come out of the blue and..."  he shook his head.  "This is bullshit!... I don't believe this!... Go back to whoever sent you, Deacon, I presume and tell him that this lil' fishie ain't bitin'."  Knight's frown conveyed his anger. "How stupid does he think I am, anyway?  To think that I'd fall-"

  "Your pineapple juices, Madam, Sir..."

Sabian set them down.  "Would you like anything to go with them?"

  "Maybe later," Michael said.

Sabian left to attend another table, clearly not wanting to get into what he perceived to be a domestic squabble.

  "So you're Kitt..." Michael scoffed.

  "It's true, Michael ... How can I convince you?"

  "Oh, I dunno - maybe you could Turbo Boost over that crowd over there?"  Michael pointed outside.

  "Very funny ... Michael, we've no time to argue.  Our mission is of the utmost importance.  We have to inform Devon and Bonnie immediately... They're probably worried sick ... And if we don't stop Deacon and his bunch, he'll use that thing of his for goodness knows what... And he'll find out soon enough how to use the 'disintegrate' function properly on that monster."

  "...So," Michael said.  "If you really are on my side, which the jury's still out on, why are you pretending' to be Kitt?  I don't appreciate you tryin' to impersonate him.  You know he wasn't just a car to me.  He was my best buddy."

  "Thank you , Michael."

  "Stop it!"

The woman looked exasperated.  "What can I do to prove to you that I am who I say I am?  I can give you technical data ... - My number plate reads Knight. K-N-I-G-H-T … Serial number -- Alpha-Delta-227529. "

   "Any computer buff could dig that up... along with other technical stuff on Kitt."  A short pause followed.  "All right, Kitt," Michael said, still unconvinced.  "If it really is you - what was the first thing - the very first thing you ever said to me?"

  "What would you like to hear?"

  "The first thing you ever said to me."

  "That was it, Michael ... To which your response was 'what the hell was that?'"

Michael almost smiled at the impersonation and realised that was exactly what had transpired.

  "Do you believe me now, Michael? ... We didn't get along at first ... but we soon grew to like each other through our many adventures and skirmishes, we became friends and always came through for one and other, even though we don't always agree."

Michael sat back.  "My God, you really are Kitt."

  "I'm glad we've cleared that up."

Knight looked at the striking woman before him and sighed, shaking his head. "This is one crazy development."

  "Tell me about it."  KITT sipped some juice and then took another sip.  Very sweet and pleasant and KITT had been unprepared for the taste - he'd never had taste buds before.

  "You know what, Kitt?"

  "What, Michael?  Do you have a plan?"

  "You know you actually sound like him, come to think of it... You have his ... slight Boston accent..."

There was a pause before KITT spoke.  "You're right, Michael... And you mean I have my slight Boston accent ..."

Michael smiled.  "Sorry, slip of the tongue."  Although he genuinely believed KITT was sitting opposite him, he felt awkward taking to him this way ... or was it her now?

  "Quite all right,"  KITT said, taking another sip of juice.  "So, do I still look like Darth Vader's bathroom?"

Michael smiled.  "No, now you look like his penthouse."

  "Oh, so I've moved up in the Universe."

Michael chuckled.  "Glad to have you back, Buddy."

KITT smiled.  "The feeling's mutual, Michael."

Michael sipped his juice.  "How did you know you liked pineapple juice?"

  "I didn't," KITT said, "It was the first thing I thought of - and freshly squeezed doesn't have all those nasty chemical preservatives that are bad for the human digestive system."

Michael chuckled.  "Kitt, you should have been a nutritionist."

KITT smiled and sipped more juice.  "Quite pleasant, isn't it?"

  "Yeah, it is ... So Kitt, now that we're here, are you hungry?"

  "Come to think of it, I feel like I haven't recharged my power packs in an aeon."

Michael smiled.  "Me too, Buddy.  I suppose we should order something."

  "Although we really should get on with the mission."

  "After lunch."

  "Whatever you say, Michael.  You're the driver."

  "Very funny, Kitt."  Michael summoned Sabian.

  "Can you bring us two double hamburgers, please?"

  "Sure, anything else?"

  "Wait a moment," KITT said.  "A hamburger?"

  "Trust me, Kitt, nothin's as good as a good ol' fashioned burger."

  "Michael, the thought of ingesting the innards of some poor creature that was once happily walking about is none too appealing."

Michael's expression said that he didn't know what to say.  Neither did Sabian.

KITT looked down at the beige laminated menu.  "Let's see .... Perhaps a salad ... Greek?"

  "Excellent choice," Sabian said.  "One Greek salad for the lady and one hamburg-"

  "Uhh, on second thought ... make that two Greek salads, hold the olives, " Michael said.  "No burgers ..."

  "You got it," Sabian smiled and rushed off with the order.  Michael had no idea whether KITT would like olives or not, but didn't want to chance it - and it would be a while before he could bring himself to eat a hamburger again.

  "It's strange, Kitt," he said.  "I've never thought about you eating before ... Come to think of it - vegetarian suits you."

KITT smiled.  "Thank you, Michael."

Michael found he rather liked this quaint restaurant KITT had practically dragged him into.  The food and service were great - the fast service a bonus, given their limited time budget.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Deacon fumed like an old Chevy's exhaust.

  "What??!!" he bellowed, loud enough to set off Mount Saint Helens again.  "Junior's malfunctioning?!!"

  "I checked its circuits thrice," Trey said.  "It changes the molecular structure all right - that boulder materialised as an Ancient Greek statue on a roadside in Barstow - a town not far from here ...and as for the meddling car - it ended up in the same place ... and now it's human ..."

Creed Deacon sat down and slapped his head.  "Ahh @#$%....”

  "So ... it's back to the drawing board ..." Agenco scoffed.  "I've invested millions in this project, Deacon.  Millions!  And now your little 'Junior' brat turns out to be worthless!"

  "It's a minor setback," Deacon snapped, angry at his Agenco's insubordination.

  "You call this minor!?  FLAG can still stop us ... This ... This isn't what I had in mind.  I want my money back, Deacon. Do you hear me?!"

Deacon reached into his draw, grabbed his gun and emptied its contents into Agenco's chest.  The bloodied man fell down, dead before he hit the floor.

  "Anyone else want their money back?" Deacon asked, calm.

No answer.

Creed smiled and put away his gun.  "Good.  Well, needless to say the late Agenco's share will be divided amongst us."

That brought a smile to Trey and Castaway's cold faces.  Deacon knew it would, although he had other plans for their money.

  "All Junior needs is a slight adjustment.  Leave that to me.  A bit of tinkerin' here and there..."

  "But Creed," Trey said, "we got another problem.  Knight's in town.  He was spotted in Barstow by Castaway's spy."

  "A lot happenin' in that bloody town ...  Castaway - find Knight and kill the bastard."

The blond man grinned. "Thought you'd never ask."

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

KITT found the pleasant fresh crispy Greek salad, refreshing, tangy and most filling.  Michael had insisted on ordering a dessert for both of them named 'Sea of Chocolate Serenity,' which boasted to be a rich creamy puff containing ten different types of chocolate.

  "There's no telling what this will do to a human's digestive system," he said with a smile, "but trust me, it'll be delicious."

KITT couldn't help but smile.  "You're in the driver's seat  Michael."

  "Very funny."

KITT had of course heard of the pleasures chocolate bestowed upon one, and it had piqued his curiosity, but hadn't given it too much thought, as he never even considered he'd have the opportunity to sample its mysterious pleasures. 

KITT began to eat the rich dessert and by the first mouthful, scarcely able to believe how sweet and divinely delicious it tasted.

Michael smiled.  "I've always thought you'd like chocolate if you were human."

KITT swallowed and smiled.  "Michael, I'll never doubt you again."

  "Can I quote you on that?"

KITT gave him a look, then began to eat more 'Sea of Chocolate Serenity.'   "Now I can tell Bonnie that I finally understand the pleasures of this unique substance."

  "I'm sure she'll be ecstatic."  Michael finished his own chocolate puff and signalled Sabian to bring the bill.

  "I'm sorry I can't pay my share, Michael," KITT said. "I have no money."

  "S'okay, KITT.  It's not often I get the chance to take you out to lunch."

KITT smiled, as Michael gave Sabian the $25.50, and then he took another note out of his wallet.  Here you go ... You've made my fiend and me very happy ... He... She's never had chocolate before ..."

Sabian gasped when he saw Michael had given him a one-hundred dollar note.  He could scarcely believe his eyes.  "Are you sure, Sir?"

  "Sure I'm sure," Michael said with smile.

  "I ... thank you ..."

  "De Nada."

  "You're so kind ... It's not often one meets people like you."  Sabian was also quite relieved.  There were a few overdue bills he could pay with this ... though he felt guilty - and not about the 100 dollar bill.

Michael smiled.  He could tell the kid really needed the money.

  "You better go and serve some more customers," Michael said, "otherwise your boss'll get mad."

Sabian smiled.  "Yes, Sir, you and the lady have a real good day now."

KITT smiled at being called a lady.  He'd been called a few things, in his time but never that.

Michael Knight watched the happy young waiter go, glad he could help and glad he made the boy happy, but he guessed not quite as happy as he was to have KITT alive and ... well ...

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

  "Thank you for lunch, Michael," KITT said, as they walked out of the restaurant.

  "Don't mention it, Buddy."  He was still getting used to KITT's new body.

  "It was very kind of you to give that waiter such a large tip.  I think I would have done the same.  That chocolate was scrumptious!"

Michael smiled.  "Bit don't eat too much of it, otherwise you won't be able to fit into that slinky dress anymore."

KITT's head shook.  "Actually it's most uncomfortable.  I feel like a cat's scratching post."

Michael laughed.  "Well as for the waiter's tip, I'm in a good mood ... Havin' you back, and all, even if you look a little... different."

  "Still basic black."  KITT indicated the dress and smiled.

So did Michael.  "So, Kitt, where's Deacon stashin' the thing?" 

  "I scanned a very large lead lined bunker approximately 15.5 meters from where I was ... attacked by that awful thing ... It must be where they're hiding."

  "That's a good start.  But how do we get in?"

  "That's what we're going to have to find out - and we still have that beast to worry about."  KITT's expression made it obvious, that encountering that thing was most unmeritorious.

  "I know how scared you must've been."

KITT nodded.  "Thank you, Michael, it's good to know you understand... I'm glad we found each other."

  "Ditto, Buddy Boy ... or is it Girl now?"

  "Michael!"

Knight smirked.  "Now I suppose we have to get down to business... Bonnie reconfigured my watch to detect 'Junior's' energy signature.  When I got here, I got a faint reading ... and then you showed up."

  "Are you still getting the reading?"

Michael checked his watch.  "Yes ... and it's a little stronger now... KITT ... it's you!"

  "Me? ... The machine must've left a residual energy signature when it transformed me."

  "So our meeting wasn't a co-incidence... Good ol' Bonnie..."

  "I suggest we meet up with Devon and Bonnie.  We can't hope to destroy Deacon's machine, or nail him without a weapon of some sort or weapon or plan ... and by now he's surely 'fixed' his little toy."

  "Bonnie was working on a new laser and deciphering 'Junior's' code the code when I left."

  "That's good news at least ... But we need to get to Deacon without being detected."

Michael's head jerked when he thought he saw someone watching them.

  "What is it, Michael?"

  "I thought I saw something..." Knight was about to turn his attention to KITT when he saw Sabian a head on the sidewalk.  The youth began to quicken his pace.

  "Somehow I don't think he's a waiter." Michael followed him.

Sabian began to run.  So did Knight.

  "Hurry, up, Kitt!"

  "What do you expect me to do, Michael?  Go into Super Pursuit Mode?"

  "Ha. Very funny,"  Michael said as he ran with KITT.

  "Wait," KITT said, continuing to run with Michael, "I have it."  The shapely figure bent down and tore both sides of the black dress to the top of the thigh.  "There.  Much better.  This dress is most constricting and impractical.  I can now utilise my lower limbs."  KITT revealed long, slender feminine legs.

Michael looked KITT up and down. "Kitt, This Super Pursuit Mode looks a whole lot better than your other one..."

  "Shut up, Michael."

Michael smiled, and did not see KITT smile too as they continued in their pursuit.

Sabian tripped on a block of cement as he tried to jump a fence.  He winced as he fell to the ground.  Michael was upon him in a flash and grabbed his arm.  "Your boss let you off early today?"

  "Let me go..." Sabian gasped.

Michael could clearly see the youth was terrified and could feel the boy shivering.  "Not until you tell me what you're up to.  You work for Creed Deacon?"

  "Castaway..." Sabian said.  "He works for Deacon..."

  "Why are you helping them?"

  "I don't have a choice."

  "So you saw us go into the restaurant and pretended to be a waiter?"

Sabian nodded, clearly terrified.  "Look ... Castaway told me to put arsenic in your food ... but I didn't.  I couldn't ... I couldn't go through with it ... He'll kill me if he finds out..."

Michael began to feel sorry for the youth.  "All right ... We know Deacon's hiding in a bunker in the Mojave and about his machine - what else do you know?"

Sabian said nothing. 

KITT knelt down to him and spoke gently.  "We need to get to Deacon.  The machine he built is capable of incredible destruction.  Many lives could be lost.  FLAG will protect you."  KITT held his hand.

  "I'll tell you," Sabian said.

  "Nice, Kitt, a woman's touch." 

KITT gave Michael a look.

  "There's a back entrance," the youth said, "a latch about 200 meters due East of the bunk-"  Sabian was stopped by a bullet to the chest, blood began to seep through his white shirt.

Michael pulled KITT behind a garbage crate, narrowly avoiding being shot.  Knight looked around and saw the assassin.

  "That's Castaway," KITT said.  "I recognise him from FLAG's files."

The assassin fled the way he had came.  Sabian looked up at Michael and KITT.

  "I'm sorr...y..." Sabian held out the $100 note and a tear rolled down the youth's cheek before his consciousness slipped away.

Just to be sure, KITT knelt down to Sabian and felt his pulse.

  "KITT, scan his ... sorry."

  "It's all right, Michael.  I don't need to scan his vitals... I'm sorry."

  "That bastard's gonna pay!" Michael spat.  "He was just a kid..."

  "If I was my old self again, we could've caught him.  I'm sorry, Michael."

  "It's not your fault, KITT."

  "Are you two all right?" came a voice.

Michael turned to see a police officer running toward he and KITT.

  "We're fine, Officer, but..."

The policeman looked down and a wave of sadness washed over his face.  "Sabian Christopher," he said.  "Now who the hell are you two?"

  "I'm Michael Knight, from the Foundation for Law and Government ... This is my partner, Kitt.  Sabian was a lead in a case we're trying to crack wide open.  He was trying to help us nail the guys were after."

  "He got mixed up in the wrong crowd" the policeman said "Borrowed money from some big wigs to go to Medical school ... They've had him underfoot ever since."

  "I'd be willing to wager they're the same ones he borrowed money from ..." Knight said.

The police officer nodded.  "Good luck, buddy.  Much as I hate to admit it, those types seem way above the law ..."

  "Never stopped FLAG before."

 

KITT and Michael walked to where Knight had parked.

  "Michael, there's something I don't understand."

  "What's that, KITT?"

  "Deacon, as we know is hardly short on cash ... So why did they want young Sabian to pay them back?  He could've become a doctor.  How could they use him like that and treat him so badly?"

  "Money is power, KITT."

  "I know, but Michael, I still don't understand."

  "Neither do I, Buddy."

KITT looked at the Toyota.  "You came in that thing, you're braver than I thought."

  "Ha ha.  Very funny, Princess."

Together they climbed into the car.  Michael turned the keys and drove to FLAG HQ, both he and KITT feeling rather awkward to be sitting beside each other.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

 

  "Michael, you're back," Bonnie said.  "We got worried when you didn't call." 

  "Sorry, couldn't get through."

Bonnie kept her anger to herself - Michael had picked up a companion, so it seemed.  How could he think of women at a time like this - after what had happened to KITT?... She still ached terribly when she thought about the unique and beautiful, sleek Trans-Am, but then she thought maybe Michael wanted to get his mind off KITT's death as much as she did.

  "Bonnie..."

  "Oh, sorry, Michael... I can't stop thinking about Kitt..." She shook her head, sadness in her eyes.  "I still can't believe he's gone ..."

  "Bonnie-"

  "I've almost finished the laser," she said, trying to take her mind away from sad thoughts.  She went on, before Michael could speak.   "Part of me wants to use it to fry the bastards for what they did to Kitty."

  "Uhh, Bonnie ..." Michael said.  "About Kitty ... What I'm about to tell you ... may sound a little strange ... The machine ... well it didn't kill him ... It changed him .. and well ... there's no easy way to put this, but he's right here."  Michael indicated the shapely woman beside him.

Bonnie stared.  She knew Michael couldn't be so cruel as to joke about something like this... She found herself wanting to believe him with all her heart, but looked unsure.

  "As Michael said, Bonnie, the machine didn't destroy me, rather it altered my molecular structure."

Barstow looked dumbstruck. 

KITT walked toward her and said, "Remember a few years ago ... That night when you recharged my components, converted my engine to run on liquid hydrogen, flushed my systems and adjusted my timing?... And Michael said 'Kitt don't you dare take advantage of her tonight...' to which you replied, 'would you get out of here, you yo yo!'"

Speechless, Bonnie nodded and half smiled.

KITT leaned over to her ear and whispered.  "And after Michael left, I delivered a precise charge of electricity into your system..."

Now Bonnie smiled and whispered back, "felt good too, although I wouldn't admit it then..." And then she gasped.

  "And here all this time I thought you were angry with me..." KITT said with a smile.

  "Kitt ... it is you ..." She threw her arms around his human form and KITT did the same.

  "Kitt," Michael said, when the embrace broke off, "what exactly did you do?"

KITT gave Michael an innocent look, to which Bonnie smiled.

  "I have to say, I'm ... surprised ..." Bonnie didn't know what else to say.

  "I was as surprised as you at first," KITT admitted, "needless to say so was Michael ... and thank you, Bonnie,  I'm touched that you care so deeply for me ... The feeling is mutual."

Bonnie smiled and kissed KITT's cheek, and a tear rolled down her own, a tear of joy.

 

She ran a scanner up and down KITT's body until it beeped.

  "Got it," she said with a smile.  "That machine's energy signature."  The Technician began to input it into the Knight Industries Mobile Unit's on board computer.

Devon too was quite dumbfounded at KITT's new form, but nevertheless overjoyed to have him back even if he was a she.

 

Michael and KITT informed Devon and Bonnie what they had learned of Deacon's operation.

  "Barstow, huh?" Bonnie said. "I think I'm gonna like that place."

  "It's nice, but not as pretty as you, Bonnie."

Bonnie couldn't help but smile.  KITT was a real charmer, though Michael knew better than to suspect KITT of cracking onto her.  Their relationship was a unique and special one.

  "Any progress, Michael?" Devon asked.

  "As a matter of fact, yes.  Kitt and I have found a way to get into the bunker."

  "That's splendid news."

  "It's about 200 meters due East of the bunker," KITT informed.  "Deacon isn't aware we have this information, so at least we have that ace up our sleeves, but none of this will do any good if I'm trapped in this body."

  "And I was just starting to get used to you that way," Michael said with a smile.

KITT's head shook.  "I was wondering when he'd say that."

Bonnie smiled.  "I may have some good news for you. Since I've input Deacon's machine's energy signature into our computer, I can contact it, and may be able to trick it by sending it a false signal, and get it to send a pulse back to us ... and change you back, but the calculations will have to be exact.  We'll have to use the new laser array to fire the beam."

  "I trust you, Bonnie, I really do," KITT said, "but it sounds awfully risky ... What if it doesn't work?"

Bonnie smiled understandingly.  "I understand, Kitt.  This will take time to set up.  It's a very complex procedure."

  "I'm afraid time is one area we're not rich in right now," Devon said.  "Deacon is already starting to make moves."

  "I'm already on it, Devon," Bonnie said.

  "There's just one thing.  I ... well ..." KITT stopped.

  "What is it?" Devon asked, concerned.

  "I ... Please excuse me ..." It seemed as though KITT was having trouble with the words.

Bonnie could see KITT was embarrassed.  "What is it, Kitt?"

  "Uhh ... Nature calls?..."

Michael had to try extremely hard not to smirk or burst out laughing.

Bonnie gave an understanding smile and lead KITT to the on board FLAG bathroom.  She knew KITT already knew where it was, but it made him feel more comfortable.

 

Bonnie heard the tap and deduced KITT was washing his hands... or was it her hands? ... Bonnie had trouble thinking of KITT as a female, although even as a car, he had a male voice, but wans't male in the human sense.

Michael noted his friend's unease when Bonnie escorted KITT back.

  "Don't worry, Buddy, you'll get used to it."

KITT clearly did not wish to comment.

  "It's only natural."

  "I know, Michael ... But it's like you being transformed into a car and finding you have a leaky fuel pump ..."

Michael smiled, as did Devon and Bonnie.

 

KITT stayed at Michael's apartment that night.

  "Looks different from the inside, doesn't it?"

  "Michael, I have seen the inside of your apartment using my x-ray scanners."

  "That's not what I meant."

  "You're right ... It looks quite different from this perspective.  Still messy though."

  "Gimme a break, Kitt!" Michael said with a smile.

KITT smiled back.

  "Just don't tidy up anything, please," Michael said.  "I know where everything is."

  "Unorthodox logic," KITT said, "but it works."

  "Exactamundo."

  "I don't think I'll make much of a house guest."

  "Don't think of yourself as just a guest, Kitt.  My place is your place.  If you're hungry the fridge and cupboards are open.  Get a drink if you're thirsty.  You don't have to ask me."

  "Thank you, Michael.  If I had a house you'd be most welcome."

Michael smiled, but could tell KITT still felt somewhat uncomfortable.  "You're not intruding, Kitt," he said. "This body is new to you and we're behind you all the way."

KITT smiled.  "Thanks, Michael ... But what I really need is a bath.  All this running around has made me ..."

Michael tried to suppress a smile.  "You smell fine, but sure, it's at the other end of the lounge room, and Kitt, I said you didn't have to ask."

KITT smiled again.  "Thanks, Michael."

Michael smiled as he watched his friend enter the bathroom.

 

Even though he was new at being human, KITT pretty well knew how to operate human apparatus, but he was glad Michael was here to support him.  KITT had trouble thinking of himself as a 'she'.  He had thought of himself as male, even though wasn't a humanoid male.

KITT took off the torn black dress, undergarments and climbed into the bath, surprised at how refreshing the steaming water felt.  He'd been washed as a car of course and it had felt refreshing and cleansing, but as a human, submerging oneself felt quite different indeed and quite pleasant - and the soap lather was so creamy!

 

KITT emerged from the bathroom, clean fresh and dry.

  "Michael?"

Michael was busy tuning his new TV and video, looking frustrated.  "Yeah, Kitt?"

  "I feel remarkably clean and refreshed. Thank you."

  "My pleasure.  I bet you're sparkling."  He turned around.  "Kitt!" he exclaimed, looking away.  "Put some clothes on!"

  "I'm sorry, Michael," KITT said.  "I'm still not quite used to this body.  I never needed to wear clothes before.  Do you have something I could borrow, perhaps?  That black dress is shot to hell."

  "Uhh, sure..." Michael said, finding it hard not to peek back at KITT's naked, perfectly sculptured feminine body, as he walked into his bedroom.

 

Michael opened his cupboard and pulled out a long pale blue shirt and handed it to KITT without looking while KITT donned it.

  "Thank you, Michael. I'm sorry. I hadn't meant to put you in such an awkward position."

Michael turned around.  "Don't worry about it, Kitt. We're all still trying to get used to this and don't worry about the shirt being too big.  Pyjamas are supposed to be baggy.  It makes them more comfortable."

KITT smiled.  "Come to think of it, Michael, I am starting to get rather tired. A pity I can't just recharge my power packs and keep going."

Michael smiled.  "Well, we need our sleep, Kitt.  It's the human way of recharging our power packs."

KITT smiled. Michael led his friend into the spare bedroom, where he had a bed desk and computer set up, where Bonnie occasionally spent the night.  Of course it had been business, although Michael wondered what would have happened if they'd went a little further, but he knew it wans't meant to happen, and so it hadn't.

 

KITT lay in Michael's spare bed and rolled around.

  "Mmmm.... I can see how a bed can be so appealing ..."

Michael smiled. "Get some rest, Kitt.  You sure as Hades need some.  We've all had a long day."

Michael pulled the blanket up.  "Just find a position to sleep which is most comfortable for you."

KITT rolled around.  "Mmm ... on my side, I think."  He put one arm under the pillow and the other around it.

  "Good," Michael said with a smile.  "I need to catch up on some shut eye too. I'm in my bedroom down the hall if you need anything."

  "Thank you, Michael."

  "See you in the morning. Sweet dreams, Kitt."

  "You too, Michael."

He watched Michael leave and then tried to fall asleep.  It didn't happen instantly and he wasn't aware of the exact time he drifted off.

 

At some point during the wee hours of the morning, Michael awoke with a start when he thought he heard a scream.  He started to doze back off when he heard it again, and then crying ... It became louder.

 

  "No ... No ... NO!!!"

 

With a start, Michael realised it was KITT.  He leapt out of bed and pelted down the hall.

 "Kitt?"

KITT looked to be struggling against something furiously.  Michael gently shook his friend.  "Kitt.."

  "No, please ..." KITT wailed.

Michael shook a little harder.  "Kitt...."

KITT's eyes opened and frantically looked around, gasping.

  "M... Michael?..."  KITT looked very frightened and confused, his human face wet with tears.

  "You had a bad dream," Michael said.

  "A dream? ... It felt so ... so real...  I was back in my own body ... That machine ... It trapped me again ... I couldn't get away ... I..."

Michael could see KITT needed consoling and put his arms around his friend. In a way it felt awkward, but KITT seemed to be calming.  "Dreams are like that," he said.  "They do seem real ... We often have bad dreams when we're worrying about something, but that doesn't mean they'll come true."

KITT nodded.  "Thank you, Michael.  Sorry I woke you, I-"

Michael smiled.  "Don't worry about it."

KITT didn't think falling asleep again would be easy, despite the fatigue. 

  "I've got something that might help," Michael said, as he walked to his kitchen, got a cup, opened his fridge and poured some milk into it and hated it up on the stove.

When it was warm enough, he added some malt and took it to KITT.   "It's malted milk, " he said with a smile.  "Should help you sleep."

  "Thank you, Michael.  I honestly hadn't expected you to go to all this trouble."  KITT began to drink the warm substance.

  "No trouble helpin' a friend, Kitt," he said with a smile.

He honestly knew how KITT felt.  When he had his first nightmare, it had been terrifying, and there had been no one to console him when he woke ... Monsters, cockatrices and pirates and other scary things after him ... Now he could look back and shake his head, but for a five year old, such things were terrifying much as the machine in KITT's dream, but the difference was that this monster was real.

KITT slowly finished the creamy milk and began to yawn.

  "Best get to sleep.  We've got a lot of work to do in the morning."

KITT nodded gravely.  "I'm not sure I want to dream this time."

Michael smiled.  "Trust me, Buddy.  Some dreams are worth going to sleep for."

KITT smiled gently and laid back on the pillow.

  "Sweet dreams, KITT," Michael said.

  "I hope so."

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

 

That morning, Michael awoke before KITT and checked on his buddy.  He saw KITT's sleeping peacefully, and his fiend's arms around the boomerang shaped pillow and he smiled.  Michael knew KITT felt vulnerable and inadequate in this mode and Michael was forced to think how strange it would be for him if he suddenly became a car, although it could prove interesting - he could Turbo Boost for once!

 

Slowly KITT stirred, then stretched and activated his optical sensors, for a moment forgetting he was human.  Awake now, KITT still felt tired and lying in bed was most comforting and  didn't particularly want to get up.

  "Good Mornin' Buddy," Michael said, cheerfully.

KITT looked up at him.  "Michael, I just wanted to say that I apologise profusely for all the times I called you lazy for not wanting to get up in the morning."

Michael laughed.  "You're forgiven."

KITT felt grateful not to be forced out of bed for another hour, but then it was he who forced himself.  KITT had trouble thinking of himself as a woman and longed for his own body back, but what if he stayed this way?  KITT was grateful when an empty human stomach took his mind off that train of thought.

 

KITT and Michael finished breakfast.  "I spoke to Devon earlier," Michael said.  "Unfortunately, Bonnie's no closer to getting through to that machine and Devon's getting desperate as we're running out of time."

KITT nodded and took a sip of his freshly squeezed orange juice.

 

Michael lent KITT one of his shirts, and a skirt.  KITT tied the shirt in a knot.

  "I saw April do this on numerous occasions," KITT said.

  "Looks good."  How good, Michael didn't want to admit.

  "And by the by, Michael, where did you get a skirt?"

  "Uhh ... It was left here ..."

  "By one of your inexhaustible supply of girlfriends, no doubt."

Michael smiled.  "Kitt ... Just put it on .. We're going to have to take you shopping to buy you some clothes of your own."

  "Thank you, Michael, but-"

  "Relax, Devon's paying."

KITT smiled.  "I should have known."

  "Hey, it's Foundation business."

A pause followed before KITT spoke.    "About last night ... I'm sorry, I should have shown more discretion.  I'm not used to wearing clothes."

Michael smiled.  "That's okay, Kitt ... Sure it's a nice body, and don't worry.  I won't let it distract me."

KITT smiled and shook his human head.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

  "How can attire shopping be so darn difficult?" KITT asked, in annoyance.  "We've been at it for hours and I've not seen a single suitable garment for this chassis!"

Michael chuckled.  "Sometimes it's like that.  Be thankful you're not shopping for jeans."

The two walked on down the pavement.

  "There!" KITT suddenly exclaimed, pointing to a simple white dress in a shop window.  "It'll fit these measurements exactly."

Michael smiled.  "Glad you haven't lost your keen optical sensors ... Kitt, this is a second hand shop."

  "Is there a problem? ... This is the only suitable garment I've seen all day and the money goes to charity."

  "I'm cool with it ... just that most women I've been with are fussy about that sort of thing."

  "Vanity isn't a virtue" KITT said, "... and Michael, I'm not a woman."

Knight nodded.  "Right, you're a man trapped in a woman's body."

  "Michael, I'm a car trapped in a woman's body."

Knight smiled.

 

Despite KITT's assurances that the dress would fit, Michael had KITT try it on, and they had found a pair of shoes to match.

KITT emerged from the change room.

  "Kitt ... I have never seen a woman look so good for eight bucks!"

KITT smiled and swirled.  "And it feels nice too."

 

During the course of the day, they managed to find KITT a black and silver jump suit, and shoes to match.  Michael tried not to notice how it hugged KITT's curves.

 

When they returned to the FLAG mobile unit, Devon was instantly upon them.

  "Grand total, $87, including lunch."

The older man smiled and looked relieved.  "Michael, I'm proud of you."

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Aboard the FLAG Mobile Unit, early the next morning ...

  "Bonnie and I've been surfing the net," Devon began "and-"

Michael chuckled.  "I can just picture you hanging ten..."

Devon gave a small smile as he continued, "I found a site for Barstow Online.  They were gracious enough to courier some information about the town and surrounding area.  It's mostly tourist information, but it's very handy."

Michael perused the brochures.  "Shop at Barstow Station ... Black Canyon ... Largest Native American Rock Art Gallery ... Sounds interesting ... Oo... Calico Ghost Town ... Sounds like fun..."

  "We can explore after we've caught the bad guys," KITT said.

Knight smiled.  "Ya, business first."

  "I still haven't found a way to counter the machine," Bonnie said apologetically, "but we were given a tip from an anonymous informant who informed FLAG that Deacon's holding a 'charity ball,' tonight, not too far from here, to get false support for his 'Junior' program which he claims will help homeless children.

  "The nerve of that guy!" Michael hissed.

   "If we blow it wide open, we jeopardise our chance of nailing him."

  "The ball is just a ruse.  He's planning to demonstrate 'Junior's' abilities tomorrow afternoon ... However, if we infiltrate the ball, we might be able to get some more information on how to stop the thing ... Though it stinks of a trap to me..."

  "When so we leave?" Michael asked.

  "Whoa ... hold your horses..."  Bonnie said, "I have a plan."

  "It involves money," Devon said ruefully, "doesn't it?"

Not that he valued money above the safety of citizens, but the stuff was not limitless.  He felt like he was forking out money for his children - and this wasn't his cash.

  "Well some ..." Bonnie said.

Devon sighed.

  "First of all," Bonnie said.  "Michael, Kitt, you're both going to the ball.  Kitt you're going to pose as his girlfriend."  When she first devised the plan, she thought KITT could go as his wife, but thought that may bring back the sad memories of his deceased wife Stevie and knowing Michael's roving eye ... Bonnie almost laughed when she saw KITT's bewildered look.  "Relax, Kitt.  I'm sure Michael will behave."

  "Hey!" Knight protested.

Devon could hardly hold back a smile of his own.

  "Now the money part ..."

  "Ahh.."

  "Relax, Devon ... It's not going to cost an arm and a leg.  Just that I haven't got anything suitable for KITT to wear."

Devon nodded.  "Three hundred dollars, not a penny more."  he handed her the FLAG Maestro Card.

Bonnie smiled.

  "Okay," Michael said.  "But you take Kitt shopping.  Last two times I took a women shopping for an evening dresses, one exploded at everything I suggested and eventually stormed off... and the second one ... well ..."

  "Turned out to be a drag queen ..." KITT added, much to Michael's chagrin.

Bonnie tried to hide a smile, but failed miserably.  "Sure, I'll take KITT shopping.  It'll be fun... In the meantime we've got this information on Barstow to sift through.  Might give us an angle we've missed."

  "Good thinking, '99," Michael said with a smile.

Bonnie tried to stifle a smile as she him and KITT a beige brochure, entitled Barstow Showbiz History Guide.  "This brochure lists quite a few films that were shot in and around Barstow the Mojave Desert.  "I know you're going to like this.  We're going to watch some of them.  Right now.  They may give us a better view of the area from the safety of that FLAG Unit without being vaporised by that thing.  The American Archive of Film and Television were kind enough to courier the five I picked out."

  "Looks like you guys've been up all night ..."

  "Almost," Bonnie said with a smile.

  "It seems such a waste of time," KITT said.  "If I was my old self again, we wouldn't need to watch these.  I could scan those flicks in no time."

They all sympathised with KITT, but nothing could be done about that at this stage.

  "But that takes the fun out of watching the movies, Kitt."

  "Michael, we hardly have time for fun."

Knight pulled a face.

Bonnie smiled as she picked up the laser disk of 'Lost Highway.'  "It's showtime!"

  "You couldn't resist saying that could you?" Michael said with a smile.

Bonnie smiled back.  "Nope."

However they weren't watching the movies for entertainment and watched them mostly on fast forward, slowing down when they needed to survey the terrain, both ground and aerial.

None of them were quite sure what to make of 'Lost Highway,' but it did show some scenes of the town of Barstow and a little of the surrounding area.  'Breakdown' showed some desert and some scenes of a nearby town.  However, 'Broken Arrow' showed a lot of action and desert, (which in the movie was supposed to be Utah) but arguably more of John Trevolta.

Bonnie had been busy grabbing images from the screen and printing them out.

KITT made a mental note to watch 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' fully when this mess was over.  It seemed to be quite interesting ... and couldn't seem to get that tune out of his head.   And Bonnie had noticed a science-fiction movie called 'A.P.E.X' which funnily enough was on television that afternoon, had scenes of the Mojave Desert.

  "So at least they give us some idea," Michael said, rubbing his chin.

  "A great idea of yours, Bonnie," Devon said.

  "We still have one more," Michael said.

  "Well I'm all movied out," Devon said.  "You won't mind if I bail?"

Even in fast motion, watching six movies in one hit had been quite a feat, given their limited amount of time.

  "Sure, Devon, take a break, have some tea."

Devon smiled.  "I think I will.  I've been sitting for so long I'm stiff."

Michael smiled, stood up and stretched his legs for a few minutes before sitting down again.

  "Last one," he said. "Bonnie?"

Bonnie looked at the cover.  "'From Dusk Till Dawn' ... Oo no, it's a horror movie."

  "So?"

  "I'm afraid you're on your own, Michael.  I hate horror movies."

Michael smiled.  "I know ... but come on, it's not real."

  "I know, but it still doesn't help.  That's one thing I'm not afraid to admit, I'm scared of," Bonnie said. 

  "But what about 'The Haunting?' We both went to see that."

  "For Liam Neeson, I make an exception and as I recall, I dragged you with me, kicking and screaming."

Michael laughed.

  "Anyway," Bonnie said, "Kitt and I have to go look for that evening dress."

  "Chicken."

  "Bak, bak, bakeek!"

Michael chuckled.

  "Enjoy the movie, Michael," KITT said, standing.

  "And if you get nightmares, don't come running to me," Bonnie added with a smile.

Michael smiled and shook his head, as he watched Bonnie and KITT get ready to leave.

 

  "They look like old girlfriends who haven't seen each other in years," Michael said to Devon with a smile.

 

  "You gotta watch Michael when you're in that mode," Bonnie whispered.

  "I think he's over that," KITT said quietly, "but you should have seen him when I first met him..."

Bonnie burst out laughing, then covered her mouth.

Michael was on them in an instant.

  "Are you guys talkin' about me?"

  "No," Bonnie and KITT said in unison and both looking oh so innocent, Michael was instantly suss.

  "Well nothing bad," KITT said with a smile.

  "I'll bet," Michael said, failing to suppress a smile of his own as he sat down to watch 'From Dusk Till Dawn.'

 

Bonnie left with KITT in Michael's hire car.

  "Being a passenger is somewhat disconcerting," KITT said.

Bonnie smiled.  "That's because you're not used to it.  I don't think Michael would take too well to being a car either."

KITT chuckled.  "That's for sure.  I'd love to see him ram through ten tonnes of concrete."

Bonnie looked at KITT.  "He made you do that?"

KITT nodded.  "What can I say ... We were after the bad guys... I recall the times you roused him on my behalf."

Bonnie smiled.  "Someone had to!  I used to think he didn't care about you the way I did ... But he had his own way of showing it.'

KITT smiled.  "I know.  I care for him too."

Bonnie smiled back.  "I know you do."

 

The FLAG technician pulled up the car alongside a strip of shops.

  "These are usually quite good.  Have you any idea what you want, KITT?"

  "Well not being much of a fashion critique ... Anything that doesn't scratch."

Bonnie chuckled.  "That's a start.  KITT, I think you're an Autumn."

  "An Autumn?"

  "Autumn colour scheme."

  "No argument here."

  "I'm starting to get a rough idea, but the final choice must be yours - you'll be wearing it.  This is very serious business."

KITT smiled.

 

In the first two hours they hadn't found much suitable for a ball and the evening dresses they did find weren't the right sizes, styled or colour for KITT.

 

The two emerged from yet another shop.

 

  "Did you like the dress the assistant showed you?"

  "I didn't want to say anything in there, not having much fashion sense," KITT said.

  "Did you like it?"

  "I thought it was hideous."

Bonnie smiled.  "That makes two of us.  To be honest, KITT, I'm no fashion guru either, but I know what I like.  The trick is to always wear what you like and feel comfortable in whether it's in fashion or not."

KITT smiled.  "Thank you, Bonnie."

 

Eventually in a small, quaint boutique, the two 'girls' spotted a lovely light yellow and white dress.

  "Do you want to try it on?"

  "It's beautiful, Bonnie, but it's over our budget."

  "$350 ... Sometimes you have to spend that little bit extra to get something you really like."

  "Should we look for something a little cheaper?"

Bonnie smiled.  "Kitt, she's practically begging you to buy her."

KITT smiled.  "Well we have been looking for the better part of the day."

  "And you deserve a beautiful dress ... and after you're back in your original form, Devon can donate it to the FLAG charity

auction."

KITT smiled.  "You talked me into it ... and you always know how to cheer me up.."

Bonnie smiled too, still amazed that KITT's feminine voice sounded so much like his own.  It was very comforting.

Bonnie led KITT to the fitting rooms.

  "Let me know if you need any help oh ..." she lowered her voice to a whisper," keep your bra and panties on."

KITT chuckled.  "Being a human is ... very different."

  "Tell me about it, Sister," another woman emerged from the change room in loose Indian attire.  "I was a bottlenose dolphin from the Pleiades in my past life and before that I was a black Panther."

  "I was a car," KITT replied.

  "Really!"

Bonnie only smiled.

  "Wow, that's so cool.  What kind were you, if you don't mind me asking."

  "Black Modified Pontiac Trans-Am, 1982."

  "Wow, girl, you're really in touch with your inner self.  Namaste."

KITT watched her leave.  "A most intriguing female ... Bonnie, do you believe in past lives?"

  "Well ... I've never really had a chance to look into it, to be honest, KITT, but too many people have had experiences to dismiss it."

  "Agreed," KITT said.  "When this is over I intend to devote some time to the matter."

  "You mean you've wondered if you'd had past lives?  Kitt, you never told me."

  "I ... I didn't know how you'd react ..."

  "You were scared I'd dismiss it because you're a machine?"

  "Well ..."

Bonnie smiled.  "That's all right, Kitt, I guess it's a pretty wired notion, but then you're no ordinary machine."

  "Thank you, Bonnie.  You are no ordinary human."

She smiled.  "Thanks, Kitt."

  "Maybe I was a cheetah, they're the only animal on Earth with Super Pursuit Mode ..."

Bonnie laughed.  "Maybe."

  "I shall endeavour to share more of my inner experiences with you, Bonnie ... And perhaps with Michael..."

  "Perhaps wait a little longer for him.  He's a down to Earth, hamburger and coke sort of guy."

KITT laughed.  "Tell me about it, Sister ...

Bonnie chuckled.  "We'd better get a move on..."

 

KITT emerged from the change room.

  "Kitt ... you look stunning ..."

  "I'm glad you think so, it fits like a molecular bondage shell..." KITT twirled.

Bonnie smiled.

  "Do you suppose Michael will like it?"

  "More than he likes hamburgers."

They both laughed.  Bonnie rather liked KITT being human, although she wanted more than anything to return him to his original form, having him like this was like having the best friend she'd always dreamed of having, going out with and sharing her thoughts, feelings and dreams.

 

  "A lovely dress," the sales assistant said, as she packaged it in a while box.

  "I concur," KITT said.

  "What?"

  "He ... She agrees," Bonnie said.

  "Going somewhere special."

  "To a ball with Michael."

  "Your boyfriend."

  "My driver."

  "Ooh, kinky!"

Bonnie and KITT laughed.

 

KITT drove the hired Toyota back to the FLAG HQ.

  "Driving like this is quite a unique experience ..."

Bonnie smiled.  "A pity this doesn't have Turbo Boost.  You would have liked that."

KITT smiled.

 

  "Somehow I'm not surprised..." Devon said.

  "I'll make up the difference," Bonne offered.

Devon smiled.  "Never mind.  You're right, the dress does look stunning."

 

Bonnie insisted she give KITT a make over.

  "I really can't see the point of make up," KITT said, "coloured pigments on one's skin.  Is one not the same inside?"

  "Of course, Kitt, but we have to go all the way on this.  Women at those places wouldn't be seen dead without make up.  Sure it's shallow, but-"

  "I understand," KITT said.  "It's all in the line of duty."

  "If you think make up is bad, try pantyhose ... but don't worry - I'm going to spare you that evil of society.  I promise I won't overdo it ... You have to look just right and besides, sometimes a little make up's nice."

  "I trust you Bonnie, just don't use too much polish."

They both laughed.

  "Hi girls," Michael said, unable to keep from smirking.

"Get a dress?"

  "Yep," Bonnie said, holding up the white box.  "How was the movie?"

  "Not bad, actually.  There was this cool part where all these vampires-"

  "Don't even go there," Bonnie Warned.

Knight smirked.  "Can I see the dress?"

  "Not yet.  It'll be a surprise, and besides we're almost ready.  You get changed and I'll fix up, Kitt."

  "I can't believe I'm taking him to a ball..."

Bonnie smiled.  "But remember for the missions sake, Kitt's a she."

Michael smiled and nodded.  "Check her passive laser restraint system while you're at it."

  "Very funny, Michael," KITT said.

 

KITT showered, washed, dried and brushed his human hair.

He winced as the brush caught some knots.  "Bonnie, I never realised how much a pain long hair can be."

She smiled.  "I guess I'm just used to it."

  "Okay, Bonnie, do your stuff." KITT wore an old shirt.

She smiled.  "Relax, Kitt, this won't hurt a bit."

Bonnie pulled out a golden aerosol can, and began to spray it on KITT's hair.  "Don't worry, it's not hair spray.  I won't touch the evil stuff.  This is to make your hair shine."

Bonnie brushed KITT's hair again, and tied a section of dark auburn hair behind, before administering pale foundation to KITT's human face.

  "Now do this," she said, opening her mouth, pulling her lips tight.

KITT obeyed as Bonnie administered light, silver metallic gloss lipstick, then a little crystal glitter to KITT's cheeks.

Bonnie smiled as her work of art took shape, as she began with shades of green, blue and purple eye shadow, accentuated with a touch of silver mascara to KITT's eyelashes.

  "I bought all this special make up, hoping I'd get to use it someday," she said.

  "I'm sure you will, Bonnie and thank you, you're right.  Sometimes a little make up is nice.  Thank you, I feel like I've just rolled out of a sonic car wash."

Bonnie smiled, then produced a silver hologram dolphin hair clip.  "I picked it up while we were shopping today."

  "Dolphins are such majestic creatures."

Bonnie smiled.  "You've got such a kind heart, Kitt."

  "Thank you Bonnie.  As have you."

Rattatapp!  Rattatapp!  "Are you ladies ready yet?"

  "Almost there."

  "Whatcha doin'?  Givin' Kitt a full body wash and wax?"

  "Ha ha, Michael..." Bonnie called.

She clipped the dolphin to KITT's hair.  "Looks lovely."

KITT smiled and looked in the mirror.   "Thank you, Bonnie."

  "My pleasure."

She wasn't sure how to react when KITT turned around and kissed her.

  "I don't think I would have made it this far without your help."

Bonnie hugged KITT's human form and kissed his cheek.  "My pleasure, Kitt."

KITT donned the evening dress.

  "If you ever get turned into a car, I'll teach you to Turbo Boost."

Bonnie smiled and chuckled.  "Thanks, Kitty."

 

The two emerged form the bathroom.  Michael opened his eyes.

  "Whoa .... Uhh ..."

  "Something wrong, Michael?" KITT asked.  "It's not too much is it?"

  "Uhh ... no .. no ... Kitt you look absolutely stunning!" he blurted out.

KITT smiled.  "I'm glad you approve."

  "Approve?  Kitt, you look great!"

  "Thank you, Michael.  Your tuxedo is very suave."

  "Thanks," Michael said with a smile, trying to compose himself.  This was still KITT, no matter how beautiful his human body looked.  //Kitt is a car.  Kitt is a car ...//

 

KITT gathered the dress and sat in the car, quite intrigued at how such a puffed out dress could be so comfortable and easy to wear.  Michael couldn't help smiling as he drove to their destination.

  "Michael, you find this body desirable, don't you?"  KITT didn't look at him.

The question threw Knight and he wasn't sure how to answer.

  "I noticed how you surveyed my curves the first time you saw me, across the way from the cafe."

  "I'm sorry if it embarrassed you, Kitt."

  "Not really.  It's an interesting experience .. Somewhat amusing, actually ... Well let's discuss our mission now, shall we?  ... If we can get to one of Deacon's goons, we may be able to get some information and some way to get to him ... Normally I'd go straight to him ... But he has that horrid machine and I'm willing to wager that bunker's well padded.  I'm sorry, Michael ... this form may be sexy, but it can't burst through solid armoured stone."

  "Don't be, Kitt.  It's not your-"

KITT nodded.  "I know ... Perhaps in a way I should thank Deacon ... for this unique experience, but I'd give my two front wheels for my old body back..."

Michael smiled.  "So would I, Buddy ... Sorry, not that I-"

  "That's all right, Michael.  It's been a rough week for all of us."

 

Michael and KITT disembarked from the hire car and walked to the ballroom area.

  "He's assuredly expecting our company," KITT whispered, "but he doesn't know me like this, so that should give us an advantage."

Michael nodded.  "Be careful, Buddy - that body doesn't have a molecular bondage shell."

  "There's no need to remind me, Michael."

  "Sorry.  I hope Bonnie managed to hack us into their invite list ... otherwise..."

  "Relax, Michael.  I have every confidence in Bonnie."

  "So do I."

  "But if it doesn't work, all I have to do is stick my chest out at the attendant and mesmerise him with my breasts."

  "Kitt!"  Michael laughed.  "Yeah, that'll work all right.."

  "You men are so shallow."

Michael smiled as he escorted KITT inside.

  "May I take your names please?"

  "Gil and my girl Tiffany."

The attendant looked down the list.  "Ahh here you are, Gil Carswell, Tiffany Godwyn," he said crossing them off. "Welcome."  He indicated the way.

  "What a relief," KITT whispered.

Michael smiled as he hooked his arm with KITT's and entered the ballroom.  Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Deacon collecting some punch and starting to look his way.

  "Sorry, Kitt."

Before KITT could respond, Michael's lips pressed against his.  Although surprised at first, he understood the necessity.

  "Sorry I had to do that," Michael said.

KITT nodded.  "Was it weird for you too?"

Michael smiled.  "Yeah."  He didn't want to admit that it felt good too.

 

Unbeknownst to Michael and KITT, they were being watched by their informant from above.

 

  "We'd better split and look for our so called friend."

  "Be careful, Michael," KITT whispered.

  "You too, Buddy."

Michael kissed KITT's cheek and left, hoping no disaster would befall them.  KITT watched him leave to search, after he had a glass of punch, to blend in.

KITT thought he'd better do the same and grabbed a handful of salt & vinegar chips and could see why many found them irresistible, but he hadn't come here to broaden his palette.

Something atop the stairs caught KITT's eye.  A white male, approximately 5'9 stood atop the stairs, beckoning to him.

KITT jerked at first - even if the man was the informant - how could he know ... Perhaps he recognised Michael, KITT surmised.

 

KITT became nervous traversing the stairs.  As Michael had reminded him - this mode was not bullet proof.  He surmised that Michael had often been in dangerous situations without protective measures and didn't want to think he was becoming paranoid.  KITT followed the man who had started walking toward an open door.  He closed it before KITT arrived, leaving KITT to open the door.  He did so, slowly and entered the room.

  "Hello, Kitt," the man said.  "I thought Michael would be with you."

  "Trey," KITT said, recognising him.  "I must say I'm curious-"

  "At how I knew ... 'Junior's' files ... Showed us what you'd been turned into."

Had the man turned on Deacon or was this a trap as they had suspected?

Trey approached KITT.  "I must say this form's a whole lot more appealing than your other one."

  "Michael thinks so too, actually."

  "Well ... I let you in on Deacon's little fancy do.  This information isn't free you know."

  "I'm listening," KITT said, wearily.  "Name your price.  I'm sure FLAG will be glad to-"

Trey smiled and shook his head.  "You honestly have no idea do you?  You're so naive it's almost sweet."

KITT looked somewhat annoyed.  Trey placed his hand on KITT's shoulder, then cupped it around a breast.  KITT jerked back and slapped him. 

  "Ooo!  Feisty lil' thing, aren't ya ... If you join Deacon, he'll be more than happy to-"

  "Forget it!" KITT hissed.  "Neither Michael, myself nor FLAG will be a part of murdering innocent people."

Trey grabbed KITT again, who this time punched him in the stomach.  "You'll pay for that, Bitch!"

  "I've never been called that before," KITT said, trying to avoid Trey.

He grabbed KITT's dress and stared to reach underneath it.  KITT instinctively kneed the man in the groin, just as Michael burst into the room.  Trey, wincing with pain fled, down the stairs, clutching his crotch.  KITT leant on the desk for support.

  "KITT?  You okay?"

  "Yes, Michael... Some men are deplorable!"

  "You handled him quite well."

They exited the room in a hurry.

  "It was a trap, in a sense.  He asked me to join them..."

Michael shook his head.  "Join the Dark Side, Anakin..."

KITT gave a smile.  "Does that makes me Queen Amidala or Princess Leia?"

Michael chucked.  "Somethin' like that.  But at least Darth Vader never tried to crack to Leia."

  "Michael, he was her father."

  "Oh yeah, that's right ..."

 

They pursued Trey outside, whose love spuds seemed to have recovered.

  "To the Batmobile!" Michael exclaimed.

KITT chuckled, and smiled at how Michael always managed to bring humour into, even the direst of situations, as they made their way to the Toyota.

KITT stopped suddenly, though Michael kept running.

  "Michael!" KITT yelled, urgent.  "Get away from the car!"

Instantly, without question, Michael leapt away and hit the deck, as the De Lorean look alike was blown to kingdom come.  He covered his face as debris flew his way, though fortunately no serious damage was done, apart form a nick on the shoulder.

KITT ran to him.  "Are you all right, Michael?" There was no mistaking the concern.

  "I'm okay ... How did you know about ..."

KITT helped Michael up.  "I'm not sure ... perhaps some of my residual molecules detected the bomb..."

  "Or perhaps it was instinct?"

  "Perhaps."

  "Which way'd he go?"

  "West North West," KITT said, pointing.

Little did they know, Trey crouched behind a large Ford Econovan, having recovered his gun and loaded it.

KITT stopped.  "I see something over there."

The next thing the two knew, Trey had burst forth from his hiding spot, fleeing, firing as he went.  The first bullet narrowly missed KITT.  Trey fired a couple more shots, missing KITT for a second time, then took aim at Michael.

  "No!" KITT exclaimed, throwing his human body in front of Knight, taking the bullet through the human form's stomach.

  "KITT!!!" Michael yelled, catching his friend and laying KITT gently on the asphalt.  Thankfully Trey had used all his bullets and fled the scene, but the damage was done.  Michael looked at his friend, his mind flashing painfully back to Ralph Muntz, his partner who had died before him in a parking lot not unlike like this one.  He saw the blood seeping through KITT's pale yellow dress ... Just like it had through Stevie's wedding dress, just before she had died in his arms ... Michael was not going to let that happen to KITT.  He forced back tears as he saw the pain in KITT's eyes.

  "Kitt, why ... You're not bullet proof, remember."

  "I know ... Michael, I must protect you."

  "Kitt, you're not programmed in this mode."

KITT smiled warmly and spoke softly.  "Michael ... I ... I love you."

Knight held KITT's human hand, touched.  "The feeling's mutual, buddy."

  "My ... molecular bondage ... shell ... would be handy right... now ..." KITT's human form said, weakly.

Michael managed a small smile.  "We gotta get you to a hospital."

KITT nodded then winced.  "Never ... knew it ... was so painful ..."

  "Believe me, Kitt, I know."  He didn't want to tell his friends that the pain didn't stop there.  He'd been shot - quite a few times in his life, the mental wounds taking much longer to heal than the physical.

  "He's getting away ..." KITT rasped.

  "I don't care, Kitt, I'm not leaving you here."

  "Thank ... you ... Michael .. Guess we can't ... put this dress in the FLAG ... charity ... auction now..."

Knight managed another smile as he pulled out his FLAG mobile and prepared to dial 911.  Before he could dial, the phone rang.  Michael became annoyed, then confused, only he, KITT, Bonnie and Devon knew the number.  He almost overrode the call, KITT needed help fast, but he sensed it was important and answered it.

  "Michael, it's Bonnie. I've recalibrated the machine's energy signature.  I can change KITT back..."

  "Great ..."

  "You don't sound too excited."

  "Bonnie, Kitt's been shot."

Michael heard a gasp. 

  "Oh my God! ... Is he..."

  "He ... she needs an ambulance."

  "Michael, if I don't do this now, we may not get another chance.  The wound should disappear when he's changed back."

That eased Michael's mind.  "How far away are you?"

  "We're about twenty kilometres from you."

Michael sighed inwardly, though they weren't out of the water yet.  Knight knelt by KITT, holding his friend's hand, knowing this wasn't easy on anyone, human or not.

  "It'll be all right, Kitt.  Bonnie'll be here soon and change you back, don't worry, it's gonna be fine."

  "Are ... you trying ... to convince ... me or you?"

Knight smiled.

  "Thank you ... Michael ... I don't know what I would have... done ... without you..."

Michael gently squeezed KITT's hand.  "Don't talk," he said softly.  "You'll only strain yourself ... Hang in there, Buddy."

Seeming to sense his feelings, KITT smiled.  "You're ... doing everything you can ..." KITT coughed a little.  If ... I don't... make it ... Hey, I'd rather die here ... than never to have ... met you..."

A tear rolled down Knight's cheek.  "Thanks, Partner."

KITT's eyes closed, though Michael saw his human form still breathing and let him rest as they waited for the FLAG mobile unit to arrive.

 

 

Bonnie smashed the speed limit to arrive sooner and Devon rushed out of the huge black truck with a stretcher.  Michael helped them carefully lift KITT onto it.

 

Together, they gently laid KITT down on the floor of the truck.  Bonnie brushed a lock of wavy brunette hair from KITT's face.

  "You're going to be fine," she whispered, knowing she had to hurry. 

Michael shared her concern, and looked at her worried expression, just as worried about KITT as he.

  "Kitt, I'm sorry, but Michael, has to stand clear," Bonnie said.

KITT nodded weakly, trying to ignore the pain.  Michael gently squeezed his buddy's hand.

  "You'll be okay," he promised, hoping more than anything it was one he could keep.

Bonnie rushed over to the controls, pointed the configuration laser at KITT, adjusting the barrel slightly.  She scanned KITT's form, trying not to look at the blood.  She also knew if this didn't work, it would kill his human body and without a soul, KITT's automotive form wouldn't be KITT.  She checked KITT's human image on the screen and pressed down the button.  A sudden shockwave ripped through the Los Angeles county, a twist of fate, causing a book to fall onto the computer controls.  Bonnie screeched in horror as the configuration changed as the laser beam encompassed KITT's unconscious human form. Tension filled the room.

 

KITT felt warm and could feel a change, and hoped more than anything that the procedure would be successful.  The pain was gone and KITT deduced that he was no longer wounded.  //It must have worked ...// he thought to himself and activated his optical sensors.  Things took a moment to come into focus.  Something was strange, however.  Michael, Bonnie and Devon looked a lot bigger.

//Oh no,// KITT thought.  //I've been changed into a mini minor...//

Judging by the way they were staring at him KITT knew something was definitely wrong and he looked down.

Paws.  Black furry paws.  KITT looked at the three humans.

  "Mreeow..."

That said it all.

Bonnie covered her mouth.

  "Can you reverse the effect?" Devon asked.

  "Yes, but I have to reconfigure it again ... And lock the frequency so Deacon can't detect it.  If he does ... Kitt ... I'm so sorry ..."

  "It's not your fault," Michael said, knowing KITT would say the same if he could.  Knight couldn't help but smile as he looked down at his friend's feline form.  "Kitt, wag your tail if you understand me."

Kitt looked at him.

Michael paused.  "Sorry, Buddy ... Hey I can just hear you sayin' 'I'm a cat, not a dog,' ... Well ... jump up if you can understand what I'm sayin'."

Kitt suddenly leapt up onto Michael's chest and dug his claws in to prevent falling.  Michael held him, and Kitt retracted his claws.  "Well at least Turbo Boost's workin'... And he's still basic black."

Bonnie couldn't help but laugh.  "He does make a very cute cat."

KITT mewed again.  Michael put him down.

  "It'll take a few hours to reconfigure the laser ..." Bonnie said.  "Meanwhile, chill out, I guess..."  She sounded depressed.

  "Bonnie, it isn't your fault," Devon said, comforting.

  "I know ..." KITT jumped into her lap and gently rubbed his head against her.

She couldn't resist stroking him.  "Thanks, Kitt."

He began to purr.  Bonnie smiled.  "You certainly are cute..."

KITT seemed to smile, and wouldn't've minded being stroked for all eternity, but Bonnie needed to work and in respect, he left her to it and jumped off her lap and made himself at home on the sofa.

  "Devon," Michael said with a grin, "I don't suppose you've got any kitty litter handy?"

KITT glared at him, his tail thumping vigorously.  Michael couldn't help but smile.  Devon tried his hardest not to.

 

 

Bonnie cleared her frustration.  She couldn't work clearly if she was angry.  KITT was all right, but what if the machine had vaporised him?  Or worse?  Bonnie put those hypothetical thoughts out of her mind.  They didn't have time for speculation or second guessing - and they needed KITT - as a Pontiac.

 

KITT walked over to Michael and sat down.  Knight could not resist stroking his feline friend.  At first, KITT seemed somewhat annoyed, the last thing he needed was to be patronised, but he found the rhythmic stroking of his soft fur quite therapeutic and pleasant.  Michael continued and the next thing he knew, KITT was rubbing his head against his hand.  Knight smiled and gently scratched KITT's cheek and under his chin.  The small black cat could scarcely describe how good that felt and expressed it in the only way he could - he began to purr. 

Michael chuckled.  "Like that, huh? ... You are very cute, you know."

KITT looked up at him.  //Just keep patting me, huh?//

As if reading KITT's mind, Michael smiled and continued to stroke him.  Then a mischievous grin came over his face and he began to tickle him.  KITT suddenly leapt four feet in the air, landed on Michael and dug his claws in.

  "Ow!  I thought you were programmed not to hurt me!"

  //Tickle me again, buster and I'll...//

Michael chuckled.  "Kitt, I think I know just what you're thinkin’.”

KITT almost shook his head as he made himself comfortable on Michael's lap, by means of clawing him.

Bonnie smiled from her desk as she continued working.

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

Devon felt the FLAG sofa wans't the place to crash for the night, but in this case he was willing to make an exception and left Michael be, grateful he wasn't snoring.

Bonnie smiled.  "Look t him," she whispered, pointing at KITT, fast asleep, curled up on Michael's stomach, looking well and truly content as Bonnie turned back to the computer.

  "Not much longer..."

 

                                                                       *  *  *

 

KITT awoke before Michael, stretched and yawned.

  "Almost there, Kitt," Bonnie said, answering his inquisitive gaze.

She stood up, gathered some things and placed a saucer on the floor for him.  "Sorry if this embarrasses you, but you need to eat."

KITT rubbed his head against Bonnie's hand, before lapping up his milk, which tasted astonishingly good - and he hadn't realised how hungry he was.

Michael woke shortly after and smiled as he watched KITT finish his milk and sit by Bonnie.

 

  "There!" Bonnie said, at last.  "Done!"

KITT looked up.

  "It's all right, Kitt," Bonnie said.  "I can assure you nothing will go wrong this time - and I've moved everything from above the computer and stabilised the FLAG unit, so if another shockwave comes our way it'll be okay."

She stood, picked up KITT and gently placed him in the path of the laser.

  "Don't be frightened, Kitt," she said gently.  "Everything's going to be fine."

KITT looked into Bonnie's eyes and appeared to smile.

//If only all cats could be so agreeable!// she thought.

Devon and Michael waited while Bonnie typed in the commands to activate the laser.

A white light engulfed KITT, followed by a bright flash and all shut their eyes.

 

After the light died down, the humans opened their eyes.

  "I'm afraid to look," KITT said ... Then slowly activated his optical sensors ... and his scanners ...  "Ohh yes ... Yes!"

Michael smiled.  "Better than sex, eh, Kitt?"

  "Michael!"

KITT activated his redlight scanner.  "I'm me again!  ... It feels wonderful! ... Not that being a human wans't.  It was an intriguing and enlightening experience."

  "I'm sure it was," Devon said.  "Glad you enjoyed it."

  "Great to have you back ... back, Kitt," Michael said, slapping his hand on his hood.

  "Believe me, Michael, it's great to be back.  I could sure use a spin."

  "I'm sure you could," Michael said.

A paused followed.

  "Devon," Michael said. "Now we're all a happy family again, I don't suppose it's the right time to tell you..."

The older man looked at Michael, wary.  "Tell me what?"

  "You remember that Toyota ..."

  "Yeees ... Oh no."  Devon's face fell.

  "Yes."

Miles sighed.  "I don't suppose it can be fixed?" he asked hopefully.

  "Devon, it looks like the Death Star used it for target practice,” Michael said.

  "That's what I thought ... Don't worry ... I'll handle it."

  "Good man."

Devon shook his head, hiding a smile.

 

  "Before you boys go out for a joyride," Bonnie said, "I have to re-calibrate that laser.  I also scanned the beam they used to immobilise you and disabled it on 'Junior' but the main firing controls are locked out.  I'm lucky they never detected my meddling otherwise we'll all be up sh ... well you know what I mean."

  "I sure do, Bonnie," KITT said, "but with that awful beam out of commission, I feel a lot safer attacking that thing."

 

In under half an hour, Bonnie had finished tinkering away with KITT's laser.

  "There," she said.  "All done.  I've added a little extra oomph.  You'll be able to get off five shots at most.  Sorry I couldn't do more, but if you over exert yourself..."

KITT appeared to smile.  "Thank you, Bonnie.  You did the best you could ... and I've really missed your delicate hands."

The Technician smiled.  "De Nada, KITT.  I've missed fixing you too."

  "That sounds kinky."

  "Michael!" they both exclaimed in unison, to which Knight smiled.

Bonnie paused before she spoke.  "Both of you, be careful."

  "Believe me, we will," KITT promised.

  "And Kitt," Michael warned, "if you take off without me this time I'll-"

  "Shut up and get in."

Bonnie and Knight smiled as he climbed in.  "That's my pal."

  "But I'm warning you, Michael," KITT said.  "If we're in danger from that thing, I'm ejecting you and that's final.  Is that clear?"

  "Yes, Mother."

  "Very funny."

  "But I'll try and make you land on something soft if it comes to that."

  "Let's just hope it doesn't," Bonnie said.

  "My thoughts exactly," the Trans-Am said, as he pulled out of the FLAG Mobile Unit and took off in Super Pursuit Mode.

 

  "Kitt, you nervous?"

  "Is it that obvious, Michael?"

  "There's nothing wrong with it, Buddy, considering your last run in with the thing wans't all peaches and cream."

  "As I recall there were no peaches and even less cream."

Michael gently patted KITT's dash.  "Just wanna let you know it's okay.  I'm nervous too."

  "Thank you, Michael, it's nice to know I'm not alone."

 

The black Pontiac sped along the Mojave desert.

  "I've picked up that monstrosity," he said.  "Fifteen hundred meters."

  "Auto Cruise," Michael said.  "Silent Mode."

  "Agreed."

  "Laser okay?"

  "It's fine.  I've checked it - several times."

Michael smiled. " Good ... and Kitt, relax, you're stiff as a corpse."

  "Did you have to say corpse, Michael?"

  "Sorry ... But try to stay calm."

  "I know ... I'm not planning to panic."

  "No one plans to panic, KITT ... And Bonnie jammed that ray... But I know how scared you were ... I felt the same when Tanya Walker pointed that gun to my head."

  "Thanks, Michael.  I'm glad you came along this time."

Knight smiled.  "I came for the scenery."

 

KITT's keen optics picked up 'Junior' in the distance.

  //Don't panic...// he told himself and readied his laser.

 

Meanwhile, in the bunker, Castaway lay on the floor, dead, a knife in him - apparently he and Trey had a little disagreement.  Trey dusted off his hands.  Deacon looked unfazed.

  "He was one of my best men."

  "And now he's your best corpse," Trey said, stepping over Castaway's body.

The computer screeched suddenly.  Deacon dropped his coffee cup, barely hearing it smash as he and Trey raced to the screen.

  "I don't believe this!  They fixed that blasted car!"  Deacon was beyond furious.

Trey stepped back.

  "We gotta nail 'em," Creed growled.

Trey sat at the controls and operated 'Junior.'

 

  "The monster's detected us!" KITT said.  "Or rather, Deacon has."

  "You know what to do, Kitt."

  "Yes, Michael."

Knight gently squeezed his wheel.  "I'm with you all the way, Buddy."

  "Thank you, Michael, I've calibrated the laser."

KITT fired at 'Junior'.

  "Direct hit!" Michael called, excitedly.

The car swerved. " Yes, but use a cliché, we're not out of the water yet."

 

  "I can't immobilize that damned car!" Trey spat.

  "Just shoot the thing!" Deacon yelled.

  "I'm tryin'!"

 

A blast erupted, narrowly missing KITT as it slammed into the desert, sending rocks, sand and dust into the air as it hit.  KITT and Michael felt the shockwave.

  "That was too close ..." Michael said.

  "You're telling me!" KITT avoided the next blast, but only by a hair.  "The thing's definitely a lot more manoeuvrable since last we met."

KITT fired again, another direct hit.

  "Good one, Buddy!"

The sleek black Trans-Am swerved again and fired.

'Junior' fired off two more rounds, the last blast searing KITT's side.

  "KITT!!"

  "I'm all right, Michael, just a flesh wound so to speak."

The Trans-Am swerved and fired off two more shots in quick succession. 

  "I only have enough energy for one more blast, Michael."

  "Make it count, Buddy."

  "I intend to."

'Junior' fired again.  KITT reversed full, throttle then fired as the ugly tank rolled toward him, the blast burning into 'Junior's' turret, blowing the thing to kingdom come.

 

Michael shielded his eyes as 'Junior' exploded in a blinding flash.  Debris hurled toward KITT, his molecular bondage shell protecting both him and Michael.

  "Good one, Buddy, how about an encore?"

  "No thanks."

Knight laughed.  "Let's get the bastards!  To the Bunker, Robin!"

  "You don't have to tell me twice."

KITT chuckled and headed for it, full speed ahead.

 

 

  "DAMN IT TO HELL!!" Deacon screamed, his face blood red.

He threw the closest thing to him, which happened to be his mobile phone onto the floor and stomped on it crushing it until all that was left were a pile of circuits and a mangled face.  "KILL THEM YOU IDIOT!!”

  "I'm doing my best," Trey hissed. " That little bastard’s fast!"

  "It's not bloody good enough!" Deacon screamed.  "Your grandmother would be a better shot!"

Trey had finally had enough.  He stood, grabbed a gun from the top drawer and held it at Deacon's head.

The blood that had rushed to Creed's head in anger drained away.  He edged toward his desk.

  "Uh uh," Trey said with a smile.  "I hid your piece.  I've had a gutful of you, Deacon.  Ya think I didn't know you were plannin' to bump me off after we'd gotten rid of FLAG?  Like you'd share your dosh with anyone?  You'd sell your sister if you had one and you killed your own mother, so what makes you think I trusted you?"  Trey laughed.  "That FLAG bitch sure played you."

Deacon hid his anger.  Almost an impossible feat for him. "Trey... I'm willing to split with you ..."

The other laughed.  "Only because I'm holdin’ the gun.  Forget it Deak.  You ain't gonna give me shit and you know it."

  "Trey ..."

The other shot him pointblank in the head and emptied the rest of the magazine into his chest.  Deacon fell with a thud over Castaway.  Trey looked down and smiled.

  "You two look good together.  Sweet Nightmares.  Don't forget to write ...and tell me how hot Hell is..."

Trey rushed back to the computer, and transferred all of Deacon's funds to his own account.

 

KITT crashed through the bunker wall.  Trey pretended to look afraid as he held the gun, shaking as Knight exited KITT.

  "They ... they were going to kill me and I ... had no choice... I"

  "Michael, he's full of excrement," KITT said.

  "That's what I thought."

Trey held the gun at him.

  "Michael it's not load-"

  "Shut up!" Trey yelled.

  "My you are a brute," KITT said.

  "You were better as a broad."

KITT sniffed.  "I see you're not a lover of fine vehicles."

Michael realised KITT was trying to get Trey off guard, and he took the advantage and attacked.  He grabbed the man and punched him.  Trey twisted himself free and ran, to be stopped by KITT's door slamming into him.

  "That's for making me use kitty litter."

 

Trey scowled as Michael apprehended him.  They did not have to wait long for the police to arrive, Devon having called them.

  "Anex ... been a long time," the cop said, as he forced Trey out, forcefully bumping his head on the bunker door and thumped him one real good when they were outside.

  "That's police brutality, Michael," KITT said.

  "You gonna report him?"

  "Like hell."

Michael laughed.

 

He and KITT began to head back home.

  "It feels great to be a car again, Michael, though I'd be lying if I said being a human wans't fun at all."

  "Glad you enjoyed it.  Guess it would be kind of fun being a car."

  "Trust me, you'd loooove Turbo Boosting and Super Pursuit Mode."

Knight smiled.  "I'm sure I would ... and how about being a kitty cat, Kitt?"

  "Meow ... Well it did have its merits."

  "Biting my hands and clawing me?"

  "Hey, I was playing!"

Michael chuckled.  "I know."

  "And It was nice to be petted ... I can see why cats like it so much."

Michael stroked KITT's voice box.  KITT hissed.  Michael laughed.

  "Stop it," KITT chuckled.  "That tickles."

 

Michael treated KITT to an old fashioned car wash, removing all the dust, sand and dirt from his body.

  "Thank you, Michael, I feel like I haven't had a proper bath in ages."

Knight smiled as he climbed into the shiny car.

 

KITT cruised down the road, back to the FLAG Mobile Unit, on the move again, the cloudless sky becoming darker, until all the stars twinkled against KITT's impeccable sleek black body as he cruised into the night.

 

Bonnie hugged KITT as best she could when he returned.

  "Hey, what about me?"

The Technician shook her head, smiled and then hugged Michael too.  "I was so worried."

  "About me or him?" Michael asked, pointing to KITT.

  "About both of you,"  Bonnie said with a smile.

  "Congratulations," Devon said, coming to the group.  "I'm glad you've both returned safely."  Although his words were simple, no one misunderstood his sincerity.

  "Thank you, Devon," KITT said.

Bonnie gently patted the black Trans-Am.

 

And KITT purred.

 

                                                                           *


 

 

Acknowledgements!

 

 

I don't usually put these on my fanfic, but this one's an exception!

 

 

***  Many tanks to Barstow Tourism Marketing Council for all the cool info on Barstow!  I really, really want to go someday!  Looks like a real neat, authentic place to explore, shop, have a great time ... Calico Ghost Town looks awesome!

 

Yes, folks, Barstow *is* a real town!  Here's the URL I got the information from!  http://www.barstowca.com

 

I found Barstow by accident when I looked in my Atlas for towns in and around the Mojave Desert, for this story, and found Barstow :)

Coincidence?  Well as Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn from the Star prequels Wars says: "Nothing happens by accident..." :)

 

Doing the research was fun!!  And I really *did* watch some of those movies!  :D


 

~~~~~~~~

 

Please See below for pictures of KITT as a human. (Well it's a lookalike doll, but you get the idea!)

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Received 4 votes for "Funniest scene" in the Edward Awards - where KITT takes his/her clothes off and Michael sees. - 2001

Received 1 vote in the Edward Awards for "Best Longtimer Story" - 2003

 

Back to Knight Rider Page