Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic

Summary: An oddball fic about Breakdown and Brainstorm

Rating - PG

~~~~~~~~

 

DEAR BRAINSTORM

 

Dear Brainstorm

I am writing this letter to you because you wouldn't listen to me if I talked to you. You probably won't believe me, but I hate fighting and cruelty and want to be friends with the Autobots. You're the only one I can talk to about this. Please believe me. I really need someone to understand me. I don't want to fight you or any other Autobots. I hate how the other Decepticons are so cruel and don't care about anyone or anything besides themselves. Almost all of them are like this. I wouldn't be risking my life to write this letter if I was lying, would I? I need you to help and believe me. I can't think of anything more to say. Except to ask you to please believe and understand. I really need that. Please write back and leave your reply outside.

                                                                                                                         Breakdown

 

The Decepticon secretly snuck into Brainstorm's empty quarters. He really hoped Brainstorm believed him. Although he wanted to be friends with Brainstorm and he wanted Brainstorm to understand, the Autobot might not believe him. He quickly left the note on the desk and left for Decepticon headquarters, hoping to get his desired response.

Brainstorm entered his quarters and found the letter. He

and started reading.

Dear Brainstorm, ...

Brainstorm frowned after he'd finished reading, then read it again. Why had Breakdown written to him? Brainstorm read the letter over twice more. He was convinced that it was a pathetic Decepticon trick. But he did write back to Breakdown.

Dear Breakdown,

I do not believe you. It's obviously a Decepticon trick. You won't fool me this easily. I'd understand you if you were telling me the truth, which you're obviously not. I would like to believe that a Decepticon hated fighting and cruelty, but you Decepticons love that and you would try anything to destroy us Autobots. I do not believe your pathetic lying trick, besides if you were telling me the truth you wouldn't be so repetitive and you'd see me in person.

Brainstorm.

As instructed, he left his letter outside.

The Decepticon on his way to Autobot headquarters, was hoping Brainstorm believed and understood him. He saw a piece of paper lying on the ground. Somehow he knew it was Brainstorm's reply. Brainstorm spied on him, unnoticed.

Breakdown picked up the letter. He transformed into his white Lamborghini mode and drove to his secret spot with a beautiful sparkling blue lake, soft green grass and surrounded by luscious green trees. He began to read Brainstorm's letter, His gentle blue eyes filling with tears as he read it.

Dear Brainstorm, he wrote.

Why won't you believe me? I mean I know it's strange for a Decepticon to hate fighting and cruelty, but can't you give me a chance and believe and understand me? I really need that. I need you, Brainstorm. Please understand me. Think about it.

                                                                                                            Breakdown

He left the note outside Autobot headquarters for Brainstorm to pick up.

Brainstorm found the letter a few hours later, read it and still thought it was part of Breakdown' trick.

The Autobot wrote,

I've thought about it, Breakdown. I still do not believe you. Nothing you do can make me believe you. It is not very strange for a Decepticon to hate fighting and cruelty. It's impossible and it's not at all strange for a Decepticon to lie.

Oh, and you don't need me to understand, you want me to understand so you can fool me.

                                                                                                            Brainstorm.

Brainstorm put the letter outside. He watched the next morning, as Breakdown picked it up. Breakdown drove to his secret spot, extremely upset by Brainstorm's reply. How was he ever going to get him to believe him?

Dear Brainstorm,

I know how you feel. You're just being cautious and it's hard to believe that a Decepticon hates fighting and cruelty, but can't you just think even for one second that I'm telling you the truth? I know it's hard for you to believe and understand.

Breakdown.

Brainstorm read the letter

"Not again ..." and he wrote...

It's not hard to believe, Breakdown. It's impossible! You're not telling the truth. I wouldn't believe you for a split micro second. I understand that you're a pathetic liar. And stop beginning your letters with 'Dear Brainstorm.' You hate me. You hate all Autobots! You're a Decepticon for crying out loud. I'm an Autobot. Nothing is going to convince me that you're telling the truth.

Brainstorm angrily left the letter outside.

Breakdown came, picked it up, and read it. He felt very upset and started to write another reply to Brainstorm, unaware that the Autobot was watching him.

"I'm getting rather tired of this," Brainstorm said, stepping into full view.

Breakdown gasped, and dropped his Cyber-pen and paper. Now was his chance to tell Brainstorm that he was telling the truth, but he knew the Autobot didn't believe him and was scared.

Brainstorm hated cruelty and fighting and didn't want to hurt Breakdown. He wished he was telling the truth, but felt he would be a fool to believe him.

Breakdown didn't know what to say or what to do. He didn't want to run, because that would only make Brainstorm even more dubious. He let the Autobot take him inside.

Brainstorm was about twice as large as Breakdown. He knew Breakdown was frightened. The Decepticon kept quiet. How was he going to prove to Brainstorm that he was telling the truth? The silence never seemed to end.

Finally Brainstorm asked, "why are you writing me all these letters to try to trick me?"

Breakdown hesitated, then replied, "It's not a trick. It's because I wanted you to believe and understand me. I'm not like the other Decepticons. I don't believe in violence cruelty or fighting. I-"

"Not this again ..." complained Brainstorm. "I've already told you I don't believe you. It's obvious - You're a Decepticon. All you guys care about is reducing us to scrap metal."

"That's all other Decepticons care about. Not me. I care life and I know it's going to be hard to-"

"So this is Galvatron's latest diabolical plan to destroy us, eh?"

"It's not his plan," protested Breakdown.

"Oh? who's is it then? Yours?"

"Well yes ... It is my plan, but not to destroy you. I-"

"So you want to kill me ... Why? What have I ever done to you?"

"No, No ... I don't want to kill you," Breakdown said, shaking his head.

"I'm sure."

"I don't."

Breakdown was frightened. Now that Brainstorm thought this, he might want to kill him. Brainstorm could see that the Decepticon he was frightened.

"If you are telling me the truth, why are you so frightened?"

"Because you don't believe that I'm telling the truth. I wish you would believe me."

Brainstorm didn't want to hurt or kill Breakdown even if he was a Decepticon. "I'm sorry, but I just don't believe you."

Breakdown was upset and worried. What was he going to do? How was he going to convince Brainstorm that he was telling the truth? And what was Brainstorm going to do to him?

Brainstorm knew the Decepticon frightened, but felt he had to force Breakdown to tell him the truth, but how? Suddenly Brainstorm came up with an idea. He planned to pretend that he was going to hurt Breakdown and then maybe he would tell him the complete truth.

"Tell me the truth," demanded Brainstorm.

"I did."

"You didn't. Tell me the truth."

Breakdown was silent. Brainstorm picked up his laser gun and pointed it at Breakdown, pretending he was going to shoot him.

Breakdown looked terrified. "I am telling you the truth. Please believe me..."

"I'd like to believe you - but no. You're not telling the truth."

Breakdown had never been more scared in his life

He was telling Brainstorm the truth, but he didn't believe him. "Please don't shoot me. Don't kill me ..."

"I won't hurt you or kill you if you tell me the truth."

"I am telling you the truth. Why can't you believe me?"

Brainstorm tried not to lose his patience. Why couldn't Breakdown just tell him the truth? Maybe he was too frightened to say anything.

"All right. I won't harm you."

Breakdown felt a little better, but how was he going to tell Brainstorm that he was telling the truth? If he kept on insisting that he was telling the truth, Brainstorm might end up hurting and killing him after all ...

"Tell me the truth," said Brainstorm firmly.

"You know what I'm gonna say ..."

"Dammit! Why can't you tell me the truth?"

"Because I already am!"

Brainstorm looked away, beginning to lose his patience, which was a rare thing. Brainstorm could easily overpower Breakdown, but he didn't want to. He had to be fair.

Breakdown was still very frightened. Every circuit in his body was trembling. Brainstorm wondered how he going to get Breakdown to tell him the truth.

How was Breakdown ever going to get Brainstorm to believe him? He realised Brainstorm wouldn't believe him no matter what he did. He had to escape before Brainstorm hurt him. But How?

Brainstorm started to feel hungry. He needed to get some energon cubes without Breakdown escaping. He quickly ducked out of the door and locked it again. Breakdown gasped. Where was Brainstorm going? Would he return with others?

Brainstorm got two energon cubes and returned to his quarters. Breakdown didn't know whether he felt relieved or frightened.

"Here you must be hungry," Brainstorm said handing Breakdown an energon cube.

Breakdown hadn't realised just how hungry he was and drank it hurriedly.

After Brainstorm drank his cube, he looked at Breakdown. "You know what I'm going to ask."

"You know my reply."

"Why is it so hard for you to tell me the truth? Then I'll let you go."

"I am telling you the truth. Why is it so hard for you to believe me?"

"Answer my question, then I'll answer yours."

"I've been answering your question almost every time you've asked it. I've told the truth all this time. I hate fighting and cruelty. I hate war."

Breakdown' voice rose in the last three words.

"I'd love to believe you, but I can't. I'd never trust a Decepticon."

"I can see why you don't trust Decepticons. But I'm not like them. I don't want to be a part of this war anymore. I'm telling you the truth."

Brainstorm sighed. "Tell me the truth, Breakdown, the truth."

"How can I tell you the truth if I already have?"

"You haven't! Tell me!"

Breakdown was frightened. "Why won't you believe me?!"

"Why won't you tell me the truth?" asked Brainstorm angrily.

Breakdown didn't know what to say. Even if hi did tell the truth, Brainstorm would never believe him.

"Come on..."

"I've told you the truth."

Brainstorm paused for a short while. He didn't want to hurt Breakdown, but if Breakdown didn't tell him what he wanted, he might have to. He had hoped it wouldn't come to this.

He said, " if you don't tell me the truth, I'm going to have to hurt you. I'm sorry."

Breakdown became even more frightened.

"No ..." he pleaded, "please don't ..."

"Tell me the truth, and I promise I'll let you go."

"I know you'll let me go, it's not that I don't trust you. It's that I already have told you the truth."

Brainstorm fired near Breakdown.

"Don't!" shrieked Breakdown.

Brainstorm fired a few more times at Breakdown, purposely missing him. Breakdown was very frightened. Was Brainstorm going to kill him? He ran to different corners of the room, Brainstorm was still firing to him.

"Leave me alone ... " begged Breakdown, very frightened

Brainstorm fired near him.

"Stop it!" exclaimed Breakdown.

"Tell me what I want to know" demanded Brainstorm.

"I've told you ..."

Brainstorm fired near Breakdown again. Breakdown jumped onto the ledge. He's gonna kill me ...

That wasn't Brainstorm's intention. He thought firing near Breakdown would frighten him enough to compel him to tell the truth. Breakdown grabbed his gun and blasted at the door. Brainstorm grabbed his arm. Breakdown desperately jolted it free. It hurt, but he had to escape. He threw Brainstorm's away gun and ran out of the room, then transformed and sped away. Brainstorm quickly picked up his gun and fired after Breakdown. He hit one of his tyres. Breakdown barley noticed. Brainstorm transformed and sped after him. He could easily catch him, his maximum speed being 5200 mph and Breakdown' 220 mph. Breakdown saw Brainstorm chasing after him and quickly gaining on him. Breakdown quickly transformed into his robot mode and flew away, which was one thing Brainstorm could not do. Brainstorm couldn't fly. He traced Breakdown to his secret spot with the soft green grass, trees and sparkling blue lake. Brainstorm thought it was one of the most beautiful places he'd ever seen in his life.

Breakdown was very upset that Brainstorm would never believe him. What could he do? If Brainstorm ever found him, he would capture him and perhaps kill him. Breakdown tried not to think about it, but it was hard. He lay down in the soft grass. Unaware that Brainstorm had traced him here and was watching him. The Decepticon looked very peaceful, and harmless in that position. Brainstorm wanted to believe him, but thought that this was part of Breakdown' trick.

Breakdown stood and waded into the lake. Brainstorm watched him. He still didn't believe the Decepticon. Breakdown walked out and sat on the bank. Brainstorm transformed and sped out of the trees. Breakdown spun around, frightened. Brainstorm transformed and grabbed him. Breakdown tried desperately to escape. He took off into the air. Brainstorm grabbed him again. Breakdown kicked Brainstorm away to escape. He didn't want to hurt him, but didn't want to be hurt himself. Brainstorm was thrown to the ground. It didn't hurt him, but he was startled that he didn't capture Breakdown. He watched Breakdown fly off, then stood up.

I hope I didn't hurt him. He's young, even if he's a Decepticon, But he must have been frightened , otherwise he wouldn't have tried to escape so desperately.

Brainstorm transformed and sped back to Autobot headquarters, still puzzled why Breakdown didn't just tell him the truth.

"Maybe he was too frightened and he thought that I would hurt him anyway even if he did."

Breakdown felt unhappy at Decepticon headquarters. Why couldn't Brainstorm understand him? How would he convince Brainstorm that he was telling the truth? Breakdown didn't know any way he could.

Brainstorm, in Autobot headquarters was wondering about Breakdown. He did sound as though he was telling the truth. Brainstorm felt upset. The Decepticons knew most Autobots hated fighting and cruelty and tried many times pretending that they wanted peace and snare Autobots into their cruel traps.

Breakdown did look innocent, but Decepticons were very deceiving. Brainstorm hated killing. He could never kill anyone. Not even a Decepticon and besides, no matter how cruel he thought Breakdown may be, he was much smaller than him and Brainstorm hated injustice. He would never hurt anyone smaller than him, unless he had no choice.

The next morning, Brainstorm transformed and went for a lone drive, unaware that Breakdown was following from a safe distance.

Brainstorm transformed into his robot mode at the edge of a cliff. Below him was a lake of deep corrosive acid.

Breakdown wanted to talk to him, but knew he couldn't.

Brainstorm looked into the sky and over the other side of the cliff to the one on the other side. He looked down into the acid lake. It was so peaceful out here, that is when scientists weren't gathering acid samples at the lake. All of a sudden Brainstorm slipped and began falling toward the acid!

"HELP!!!" he screamed petrified, knowing no one was around.

Breakdown gasped. He knew was the only one that could save Brainstorm - he could fly and Brainstorm couldn't. He flew down after Brainstorm and flew under him. He grabbed hold of Brainstorm, who was heavier than him, and tried to get Brainstorm into a cave on the side of the cliff. Breakdown desperately pulled with all his might. Some acid splashed onto Brainstorm. He screamed with pain. Breakdown at last managed to push Brainstorm into the cave.

Brainstorm was both relieved and frightened. Breakdown had saved his life. Maybe he was telling the truth ... But Decepticons have been known to save Autobots from death just so they can kill them themselves. Brainstorm was frightened, weak and hurt from the acid eating into him. Breakdown could easily kill him now... He hoped Breakdown wouldn't hurt or kill him. The Decepticon came into the cave. He was low on energy now and couldn't fly unless he had some.

Brainstorm felt frightened. When he was firing at Breakdown in his room, Breakdown didn't know that he wasn't really going to shoot him, or harm. Brainstorm wanted to tell Breakdown this, but would it matter now? He also felt too weak to talk and lay on the floor. He closed his eyes as Breakdown came towards him. He hoped Breakdown wouldn't hurt him. The pain of the acid eating into him was becoming too much and Brainstorm fell unconscious. Breakdown gently began to repair him.

It didn't take all that much time. Although very painful, the damage was easily repaired. Brainstorm regained consciousness and was very surprised and relieved to be alive and well.

Breakdown looked at him. "Do you believe me now?"

Brainstorm hesitated for a moment. "Yes."

Breakdown smiled, grateful.

"Sorry I didn't trust you before," Brainstorm confessed. "I-" "No need to apologize. I understand you were being cautious. I'd have done the same.

"Thanks for being so understanding."

The other smiled.

Brainstorm explained to Breakdown the events in his quarters.

"I didn't want to shoot you. I could never kill anyone, even if they were my enemy. If I've learned anything, it's to not be so cynical."

"Everyone makes mistakes," Breakdown said.

Brainstorm nodded.

"You're right ... and thanks for saving my life. "

Breakdown smiled. "What are friends for?"

Brainstorm smiled. Together they managed to climb to the top of the cliff. Breakdown nearly slipped and fell into the acid, but Brainstorm caught him in time.

"Phew! Thanks..."

Brainstorm smiled. "We're even."

"Right on!"

They went to Breakdown' secret spot.

"I saw you here before" said Brainstorm. "It's a beautiful place."

"I love it too" said Breakdown looking around.

            * * *

At Decepticon headquarters, Galvatron the Decepticon leader, was using the scanners, trying to locate Breakdown. He saw Breakdown playing in his secret spot with Brainstorm and was absolutely furious. He bashed the computer in a rage and flew to Breakdown's secret spot.

He watched them quietly for a while. Then he suddenly leapt out of the bushes.

"YOU TRAITOR!!"

Breakdown spun around and gasped. Brainstorm quietly readied his gun to defend them both. Breakdown knew there was no way to get out of this. He swallowed. Galvatron would surely kill him, whatever excuse he made and when he was this mad, it was wiser to say nothing.

"You're about to learn what happens to traitors. I don't have anything to say to you, Breakdown," Galvatron said, his voice deceptively calm, "except this--"

He aimed his particle cannon at Breakdown and blasted him twice.

Galvatron fired at Brainstorm who jumped out of the way. He transformed and drove into the Deception leader. Galvatron was thrown backwards. Brainstorm grabbed his gun and blasted his cannon, and then blasted Galvatron several times before he had a chance to retaliate, then the Autobot ran to Breakdown. He was hurt badly. Galvatron's particle cannon was powerful. Brainstorm picked up Breakdown and flew with him to Autobot headquarters, and explained to Optimus Prime the whole story. Optimus was surprised to say the least.

"Quickly, get him to the repair bay."

Brainstorm rushed Breakdown to Ratchet, the Autobot CMO. Both he and Ratchet worked all night on Breakdown.

Brainstorm was relieved by morning when they had managed to repair Breakdown' damaged circuits and internal organs and had him back to normal. Ratchet energised him slowly.

Breakdown' began to regain consciousness. Brainstorm smiled.

"Glad you're all right little friend."

Breakdown gave his friend a hug.

"I'm glad you escaped Galvatron."

"So am I ... Listen it's suicide so send you back to the Decepticons ... I've discussed it with Optimus Prime, and we'd like you to become an Autobot."

"You would?" Breakdown asked, surprised.

"Yes. I've told them about you and they're all willing to believe you."

"I am," said Ratchet, from behind them.

Breakdown smiled and thanked Ratchet for helping to repair him.

"But we'll have to keep you away from Galvatron."

"He wants to kill me now. How am I going to-"

"He wants to kill all of us," Ratchet said, "and we're still here, aren't we?"

Breakdown smiled. "Right!"

He was grateful to be with people who cared about him, especially his new best friend, Brainstorm. And for the first time he was facing the universe as an Autobot and sincerely hoped the war would end someday soon with peace between the two warring factions. And as an Autobot Breakdown vowed to honour, justice, peace and life wherever he found it.

*

 

 Back to Autobot & Decepticon Fanfic Page

 

Back to Transformers Page