Disclaimers: Transformers are owned by Hasbro.

I make no monetary profit from my fanfic

Summary: Ruckus' dilemma

Rating - PG

~~~~~~~~~~

BOTH SIDES

 

"The Autobots are after the flight plans to Cybertron which we possess," said Megatron. "They will do almost anything to get them. However, we Decepticons will return to Cybertron when our space shuttle is complete. The Autobots will try anything to get the original blue prints. We have the plan memorised. The Autobots want to get back to Cybertron as much as we do, but if they take any of you captive and demand the plan, do not tell them under ANY circumstances. I will NOT hesitate to destroy anyone who disobeys that order."

* * *

Meanwhile, at Autobot headquarters, Optimus Prime addressed the Autobots. "We must obtain the flight plan to Cybertron. We all need to see our beloved home planet and friends again and to protect it from the Decepticons. They do care about Cybertron, but also want to transform it into a powerful weapon to control the Universe. We cannot let that happen. We must capture a Decepticon to force him to tell us the flight plan route."

"Optimus Prime," informed Teletraan I.

Optimus turned to Teletraan.

"Four Decepticons flying over city."

Teletraan I provided a visual.

"If we can capture one," said Optimus Prime, "it may be our ideal opportunity to obtain the flight plan to Cybertron. Autobots - transform and roll out."

When they arrived at the city, Optimus Prime blasted Ruckus, a small Decepticon. The other three Decepticons tried to rescue him, but were fought off by the Autobots.

"We're severely outnumbered" said Ramjet. "-- Sixty to three. Lets beat it!"

They returned to Decepticon headquarters.

Ruckus tried to escape, but couldn't. He had no choice, but to let the Autobots take him prisoner.

Ramjet, Thrust and Dirge arrived back at Decepticon headquarters.

"They got Ruckus" informed Thrust. "We tried to rescue 'im, but we were outnumbered and outgunned. There were about more than sixty Autobots."

Megatron didn't say anything. He hated failure, but had to be reasonable. "Ruckus will not tell them anything."

Ruckus was trying to struggle away from the Autobots. He was quite small and not very strong. He felt frightened. He didn't want to tell the Autobots anything. The Autobots put him in a prison cell. They then went out.

"We have to torture him to make him tell us the plan ..." said Sunstreaker.

"Sunstreaker," said Optimus Prime, "we Autobots are not cruel. We will only torture him if we have no other choice. We'll ask him first. If he refuses, we will then keep on asking him until we have no other alternative."

Optimus Prime walked into Ruckus' prison cell. Ruckus, scared, turned around. He hoped Optimus didn't ask him about the plan.

"Give me the flight plan to Cybertron" said Optimus Prime.

Ruckus tried to make himself look innocent and confused.

"What ... what flight plan? ..."

"You know exactly what I mean" said Optimus Prime firmly.

Ruckus shook his head.

"The flight plan to Cybertron" said Optimus Prime, knowing full well Ruckus knew what he meant.

"What flight plan? ..." asked Ruckus again.

"You know exactly what I mean " said Optimus his voice raising a little.

Ruckus didn't want to tell him anything.

"Answer me, Ruckus, and do not bother lying."

Ruckus didn't want to say anything, and knew lying would not work.

"I ... I can't tell you ..." he said, hoping Optimus Prime wouldn't hurt him.

"You can and you will " said Optimus Prime. "Answer the question."

Ruckus was silent. He didn't know what to do or say. Optimus Prime was being fairly patient with him. He didn't want to hurt Ruckus, but if Ruckus didn't tell him, he would have no choice.

"Ruckus," he said gently. "Don't force me to hurt you. We need the plan. I'll give you some time to think about it."

Optimus Prime exited the prison cell.

Ruckus was scared. He didn't want to get hurt and he didn't want to tell the Autobots the plan.

Later, Optimus came back into the cell.

"Well, Ruckus?"

The Decepticon was silent for a moment, then said, "No. I... I can't ... I can't tell you."

"I do not want to hurt you, Ruckus, but you're leaving me no choice."

Optimus pointed his laser rifle at Ruckus, hoping Ruckus would tell him. Ruckus didn't say a word. Optimus fired at him. Ruckus scrambled out of the way.

"Don't! ..." he exclaimed.

"Just tell me the plan and I won't hurt you" promised Optimus Prime.

"I ... I can't tell you, Prime ... Why can't you understand that?"

Optimus hesitated. He knew Ruckus was frightened.

"I'm sorry, Ruckus, but we need to know the plan ..."

Optimus came towards him. Ruckus tried to get away from him. Optimus Prime had no choice, but to shoot him. He picked him up and carried him to the mind reading device.

"He won't tell me" said Optimus Prime. "I have no choice, but to read his mind, using this device. He's leaving me no other alternative ..."

Optimus Prime laid Ruckus down on the bed. He activated the controls. Energon bands clasped around Ruckus's wrists, ankles and waist.

Ruckus was slowly regaining consciousness. He tried to struggle free.

"Let me go ..." he said, frightened.

"Since you won't tell me the flight plan to Cybertron, I have to read your mind with this device."

"No ..." said Ruckus. "Please don't."

"I'm sorry, Ruckus, but you're leaving me no other choice." Optimus Prime switched on the machine and began to read Ruckus's mind. Unlike the Decepticons' mind probe, Ruckus was pleasantly surprised when he discovered the Autobots' mind probe was painless, but that was not his main fear.

Finally the plan came up on the screen.

"No ..." gasped Ruckus.

"Are you afraid that if I obtain the flight plan from you, then Megatron will destroy you?" asked Optimus Prime.

"Please don't ..."

Optimus had to ignore Ruckus's plea. He obtained from Ruckus's mind, the flight plan to Cybertron.

Finally ... after more than four million years, we will see our home planet and our friends again ...

"Turn this damn thing off, or are you going to use it to pry into my private affairs too?"

Optimus turned off the machine off and untied Ruckus. Ruckus sat up. Optimus could see that Ruckus was upset.

"What's the matter?"

"I didn't want to betray Megatron."

"Why are you so upset about that?" asked Optimus, not thinking Decepticons cared that much about each other.

"Megatron saved my life ... A long time ago on Cybertron. I have a responsibility to him ..."

Optimus admired Ruckus's loyalty, but had to obtain the flight plan. He took Ruckus back to him prison cell.

Ruckus felt upset, but said nothing. Optimus Prime felt sorry for him.

"Why should you care anyway?"

"I do care, Ruckus," he said. "You don't understand that we Autobots want to return to Cybertron as much as, maybe even more than you Decepticons. We miss our home world too, Ruckus. After four million years of being away, anyone would get homesick."

Ruckus hadn't thought about that. He understood now how the Autobots felt and felt somewhat sorry for them, but he was also upset and thinking how Megatron would feel, even if the Autobots had forced him.

"Why do things always have to be so hard? Ohh! I hate seeing both sides of the issue!"

Later, Optimus brought the Decepticon prisoner an Energon cube. Ruckus slowly drank it.

"Thanks," he said quietly, but his mind was elsewhere.

"We Autobots are never hostile to our prisoners. "

Ruckus appreciated Optimus Prime's kindness, but said nothing. Optimus let him go.

Ruckus returned to Decepticon headquarters. He was frightened Megatron would destroy him, even though the Autobots read his mind. What frightened Ruckus most was he felt he betrayed Megatron and how Megatron would feel. After all, he saved Ruckus's life. Ruckus felt terrible about what had happened.

I'm not gonna hide it from him ... I'll tell him straight out what happened. It's the least I can do. I hope it won't hurt him. He may destroy me, but I've got to tell him ...

Ruckus went to Megatron. Megatron was happy to see him.

"Ruckus," he said smiling, "you escaped."

"No, they let me go." Ruckus had never lied to his leader. "M... Megatron ... There's something I've got to tell you... "

"What is it, Ruckus?"

The smaller Decepticon took a deep breath. " The Autobots read my mind and ... and obtained the flight plan."

Ruckus inside, was trembling like an Earthquake. It took an enormous amount of courage to say that to Megatron.

"I'm sorry ... there was absolutely nothing I could do... Megatron, you saved my life, millions of years ago and I'm sorry if you feel betrayed. If you want to destroy me, I understand."

Megatron didn't know what to feel. Angry? Upset? Most Decepticons would beg him not to kill them, especially Starscream, but Ruckus would accept death, just like that.

As angry as I am, thought Megatron. I can't destroy Ruckus. It wasn't his fault ... Those blasted Autobots read his mind. He couldn't help that ... Megatron looked at him.

"Ruckus," he said. "I understand this is not your fault and I do not wish to destroy you. I admire your courage."

Ruckus could not believe it. "Th ... thank you ... " he breathed.

He was relieved Megatron didn't regard him as disloyal, even more so than not being blasted to bits.

"The Autobots are preparing to launch in two weeks time," he informed Megatron. "I heard Optimus Prime say so."

"Then we shall leave too and destroy them ..."

Ruckus disliked killing, but felt he couldn't reveal that to Megatron.

            * * *

Fourteen days later, the Decepticons were boarding their space cruiser. There was no room for anyone else and Ruckus still had not come aboard. Megatron didn't want to leave him behind.

He's the one of the most loyal to me of all the Decepticons, thought Megatron. I can't leave him behind ...

"Megatron, don't worry about me. I'll sneak aboard Autobots' ship. I've done it before."

"Be careful, Ruckus."

Ruckus nodded, transformed and drove off.

When he reached the Autobots' spacecraft, the Ark, he secretly looked around, drove in and quietly drove under a large seat.

Not long after, the Autobots boarded.

"Blast off" commanded Optimus Prime, when all the Autobots were aboard. "At last ... We are finally going to see our beloved home planet Cybertron, after four million years... "

Ruckus smiled. He couldn't wait to see Cybertron either. He just hoped the Autobots didn't find him. Optimus sat down. Optimus Prime put his feet backwards, under the seat, one foot touching Ruckus's stomach, the other touching his face. Ruckus almost gasped, but nothing happened.

Optimus must think he's touching the wall ... Phew ...

The Ark jerked. Optimus' feet pushed harder on Ruckus's stomach and face. Ruckus winced, but could make no sound.

Much to Ruckus' relief, Optimus stood up.

"What's the matter?"

"Sorry," Ironhide said. "She's an old girl, but she'll get us there. He patted her. "There, there, Betsy ... We're going home now."

Ruckus couldn't help smiling. Betsy? ...

Ironhide adjusted the controls slightly. "There. That should take care of the jolts."

Ruckus hoped the journey would be uneventful.

The trip progressed on. Ruckus was getting quite hungry, but he couldn't exactly ask the Autobots for Energon.

Suddenly, an asteroid smashed into the hull of the Ark. The ship jolted and was losing power. Ruckus was thrown from his hiding place.

"A Decepticon!" exclaimed Optimus Prime.

Oh crapola! Ruckus tried to run away, but Optimus caught him. Ruckus tried to struggle free. Grimlock came to Optimus Prime.

"Ark losing power fast. Me say melt Decepticon down and use as fuel."

"NO!!" screamed Ruckus.

In a panic, he violently struggled away from Optimus Prime, kicking him hard in his stomach. It hurt Optimus a lot. Ruckus darted away.

"Get 'im! ..." yelled Grimlock.

"No, Grimlock! " said Optimus Prime angrily. " Leave him be! We are NOT going to use him as fuel. We are not barbarians. We've been through this one million point six-five times. How on Cybertron will I EVER get you to understand?" Optimus hesitated for a moment. "Why can't you understand the Decepticons, although evil, are sentient beings just like us Autobots and their right for freedom is as great as ours. They may not be the nicest beings in the universe, but ... "

"Me see your point, Optimus. Me Grimlock sorry."

"All right. Just think before you talk in future and refuel the Ark with Energon. And find that Decepticon before he wrecks the ship in his panic."

Grimlock walked away. Optimus Prime went to search for Ruckus.

Ruckus was frantically trying to find a place to hide. He hated to admit how frightened he was. He crawled into a compartment and closed the door. He was petrified and shivering.

Optimus Prime controlled the Ark to activate 'Deceptiscan.' A highly advanced scanner that can locate Decepticons anywhere on the ship and located Ruckus. The Deceptiscan gave Optimus a visual. He saw Ruckus huddled in the compartment in a dark corner, and it took a trained eye to see the fear in his eyes.

"The poor Decepticon's frightened out of his sheet metal..."

Optimus Prime opened the door to the compartment. Ruckus looked up at him, and tried to get away. Optimus reached into the compartment to take him out. Ruckus tried to get away from him. Optimus could see exactly how frightened Ruckus was.

"I'm not going to hurt you, Ruckus. I was very angry with Grimlock. We are not going to use you as rocket fuel, I promise."

The look in Ruckus's eyes told Optimus how relieved he was feeling. Optimus allowed him to climb out of the compartment.

"I suppose you're wondering what the hell I'm doing here?"

"It had crossed my mind."

"Megatron didn't want to leave me behind on Earth, but there was no room on our space cruiser. I snuck aboard the Ark, hoping no Autobots would find me ... I just wanna see Cybertron again..."

"I understand" said Optimus Prime, "but Megatron and the Decepticons want to transform Cybertron into a gigantic, powerful, destructive weapon."

"I know. Although I am loyal to Megatron, I don't want him to do that."

Optimus was surprised, but could feel Ruckus was telling the truth. He took him to the main quadrant of the Ark.

"Why don't you just throw that Decepticon creep out of the airlock, Prime?" asked Sunstreaker.

"No, Sunstreaker!" said Optimus Prime angrily. " He only wants to see Cybertron again. Can you blame him? Decepticons get homesick too."

Sunstreaker kept quiet. He respected what Optimus Prime said.

The Ark neared Cybertron.

The Decepticon space cruiser was also nearing Cybertron.

I want to destroy all those accursed Autobots now... thought Megatron angrily, but Ruckus is on the Ark, and I cannot destroy him ...

The Ark landed on Cybertron.

The Autobots and Ruckus felt overjoyed that after over four thousand millennia - they'd finally returned home.

"The Decepticons will be here soon," said Optimus Prime.

"Ruckus" he said. "I know you're very loyal to Megatron, but what he wants to do to Cybertron may destroy the entire planet and not to mention what he will do once he has that power. Will you help us to stop him?"

It was a very hard decision.

Should I betray Megatron? ... he thought. Can I let my beautiful home planet be destroyed? ...

"I will help you, Prime, but I don't want Megatron - or any Decepticon to know I'm involved."

"I can arrange that. Use this Autobot disguise and - be careful."

Ruckus felt both guilty and right at the same time.

Later, the Decepticons landed, they too thrilled to see their home planet in over four million years.

* * *

A battle between the Autobots and Decepticons began.

Ruckus led a few Autobots to the weapon control terminal inside Cybertron.

"There it is," said Ruckus. "The centre of Megatron's operation. If we destroy that then there's no way he can transform Cybertron into a weapon."

They all shot at the terminal, which exploded in a blinding flash of light.

Sorry, Megatron ... thought Ruckus. I'll make it up to you. I promise ...

Megatron was absolutely furious about his weapon control terminal being destroyed. Ruckus quickly took off the Autobot disguise and discarded it. Megatron was hit by an Autobot blast. He slipped and fell onto the ground.

Ruckus saw one of the huge cannons, designed to destroy large objects, malfunctioning, and pointing at Megatron, about to fire.

"MEGATRON!! LOOKOUT!!"

Ruckus then ran to Megatron and jumped in the way of the blast. Ruckus exploded.

"Ruckus!!" exclaimed Megatron.

The Autobots were amazed by Ruckus's action, touched by his courage and loyalty, even though Ruckus had saved their arch enemy. They were upset about his destruction. So was Megatron. He took Ruckus's mutilated body and parts inside the Decepticon space cruiser.

"You ... you died for me ..." he thought. "I didn't know you were that loyal ... I didn't know you cared about me that much..."

Megatron began to repair him.

The Autobots, although Ruckus was a Decepticon, hoped he was going to be all right.

Megatron finally finished reassembling Ruckus's body. Luckily Ruckus's brain was still intact. Megatron re-energised him, hoping he would reactivate.

Ruckus later sat up.

"Ohh ... What happened? ..."

Megatron felt relieved that Ruckus was okay.

"Thank you, Megatron. You saved my life - again."

"And you saved mine."

Ruckus smiled. "Don't mention it."

The Transformers had a grand old time on Cybertron, catching up with old friends and memories, visiting places they had not seen in millions of years.

"You have to go aboard the Ark again, Ruckus," said Megatron, when they were about to return to Earth. "Be careful."

" I will, Megatron. "

Ruckus went aboard the Ark.

"Sorry, guys," he said smiling, "have to come aboard again. Decep ship's full. Promise I won't wreck anything."

"Ruckus!" exclaimed Optimus Prime.

The Autobots were thrilled Ruckus was alive.

"Megatron repaired me," he said.

"Sure you can come aboard" said Optimus Prime, "and you can have a more comfortable seat this time."

"Thanks," smiled Ruckus, "at least I won't have feet in my face."

Optimus chuckled.

Both shuttles blasted off for Earth.

 

Later, a space bridge was assembled to get from Earth to Cybertron or vice versa in a very short time. The bridge was simply crossed at one end and you were on Cybertron, or Earth.

 

Ruckus returned to the Decepticons. He secretly liked and respected the Autobots, but had to keep that from Megatron. Ruckus would always remain loyal to his leader, but knew until the war was over, he would have to learn to live in secret with his newfound feelings.

 

*

Back to Autobot & Decepticon Fanfic Page

 

Back to Transformers Page