ALL ARE ONE

 

Seawave's 

BotCon '97 Experience

 

I had always wanted to attend a BotCon, ever since they started. But over $2000 is a lot of money. But when I heard Peter Cullen and Stan bush were going to be guests at this BotCon not even Unicron could stop me from getting there.

I met 4 pen/e-mail pals there, which was great, because we'd become very good friends and it was great to meet each other and exchange gifts and hugs. And it was great to meet famous Transformer fans like Raksha!

I was so excited to be there, I wasn't hungry for the dinner! Rosemary and I approached Stan Bush, who was quite touched when we told him how much we loved his music, and a very approachable guy. Unfortunately Frank Welker couldn't make it, which was very disappointing, but it was out of both Frank the Hartman's control. I hope to meet him sometime :)

That night, my friends and I talked till the Cyber Cows came home, and it was great to talk Transformers with fans my age, and listen to other people's views on characters and have them listen to yours. It was a very special feeling, which I will never forget.

Saturday morning came and it was excitement, excitement, excitement!

Peter Cullen was excellent. I wanted to cry, because I've wanted to meet him for so long, and Optimus Prime is one of my favorite Transformers. I've learned so much from him, and I'm sure many other have too, and to see the legendary Peter Cullen in the flesh was nothing short of a miraculous dream come true. It was amazing to see and hear him - a phenomenal experience. He was quite fully too, putting on Optimus' and Ironhide's voices. He also does voice overs for upcoming movies, like "Batman and Robin..." and he does it so well!

"Get away from me, Ironhide...you smell ...like old, WD 40...." (smirk)

Peter was touched at how much people cared for The Transformers and was quite emotional. He signed a picture I drew of Optimus Prime and was quite touched when I gave him two pumice rocks, I'd gathered from Mount Saint Helens, a few days earlier (yes, I visited Autobot HQ!) Peter stood up and hugged me!!  I was on cloud nine with a silver lining!  I think I still am ;)

Hers is a pic of me & Peter, taken by Gasketcase (Zoi)

 

 

I asked him to say something in Optimus' voice in my walkman, and he said "Freedom is the right of all sentinent beings. Hold on to your dreams. The world was built on dreams, and now, Transform and roll out!" It was amazing - and I did hold onto my dreams - this one came true.

I can only do my best to put it into words how beautiful it was to meet someone whom you've wanted to meet for over 11 years and finding they're every bit as wonderful a you hoped they would be.

The BotCon CD is excellent, with all the music from the movie, not released on the Soundtrack, plus Remixes of The Touch and Dare, and more songs by Stan Bush, including Ground Zero, the Bot Con Theme song. Also included is Vince DiCola's Legacy which is the piece he played for which he was hired to play for Transformers: The Movie, but Legacy was not used in the movie. Bot Con T-shirts, with Rodimus & The Matrix on the back, and also the exclusive Toys, Beast Wars, Packrat and Fractyl. The box was nicely done, with G1 style Transformations on the top.

The dealers rooms were great - lots and lots of G1 stuff! Some of it was quite expensive, but then things at conventions are and since they don't make G1, particularly 1984-6 stuff, it's hard to come by. My friends and I had a lot of fun shopping! I got some really nice things! Perhaps next year, I'll get the Optimus Prime cookie jar, but I don't think I'll stuff the Autobot leader's head full of biccies!

Rosemary and I spoke to Stan Bush again. He seemed really stoked when I told him he was my favorite singer. The Touch and Dare have been my favourites for ages. He autographed the cover of a CD I had brought, and It was great to meet him after 11 years and find him to be such a nice guy.

Andrew Wildman and Simon Furman too were quite approachable. They stayed for the entire weekend and said they had a lot of fun working on Transformers and would gladly work on a Beast Wars comic should one come about. I am aspiring to be a writer, and to meet the Writer of my favorite comics was excellent! I am training myself to draw too! I wish I could draw as well as Andrew! Simon signed my G2 Special Edition 1 and Andrew signed Issue 80. I'll treasure them forever. Ahh, I just can't say how great meeting all these legends is!

Watching the frivolous TF: TM was fun too. I always hate to watch it, but to watch it with a whole room of people making fun at it, well I found I could watch it and enjoy it and laugh instead of cry, though I did let out an extremely audible wail when Optimus died! Oh, and also begging Galvatron for mercy in Starscream's voice! "No, please - DON'T SHOOOOOOT!!!"

Galvatron: "Unicron.... why do you torture me..."

Me in by best Unicron voice: "BECAUSE I AM A SADISTIC EVIL BASTARD....."

Get the idea!!! >;)

The concert was spectacular! I cried when Vince DiCola played The Death Of Optimus Prime. That song always makes me cry, but with the lighting, and hearing it played live, was a very emotional moment. I love the instrumentals, and it was great to hear them so loud! And I have always wished I could see Stan Bush live - I always wished I could write to him and hopefully get a reply, but this - this was another dream come true - to actually see him perform live on stage, with his hair jumping about! And when he played the Touch and Dare - it was just phenomenal - my two favorite songs, and everyone in the room was as choked up as I was!

Rosemary and I met Stan and Vince after the concert and had our pictures taken with them. Vince is a really nice guy! He was touched when I told him that I cried when I listen to The Death of Optimus Prime and was glad that we enjoyed the concert!

Rosie and I and other friends again talked Tf's for half the night! Do it with style or don't bother doin' it! ;)  Another TF fan I met, Bizzaro, made a wonderful Soundwave baloon for myself & Raksha.  Took a while, though I was really greatful and Raksha said it was one of the more interesting Soundwave gifts she'd been given!  :)

Here is a  pic of the masterpiece  :)

Too cute, ah?

 

 

On Sunday, I spent some more time shopping in the dealer's rooms and wishing I had more money!

David Kaye and Venus Tezro were quite nice too. At that time I had only seen 2 Beast Wars episodes, and I had not seen Blackarachnia, but I had seen BW Megatron. Venus put on Blackarachnia's voice. David has an American accent and does not sound like Meggie at all, but he put of the voice for us, yeeeessss!

It was really nice seeing the art in the art competition, so many creative things, ranging from drawings, to elaborate models. It's a pity everyone couldn't win!   Unfortunately my entries didn't win.  Unfortunately I wasn't sure which category to place them in and put them in the wrong one. Leakin' lubricant!   Please click here to see my entries and other Custom TF's, etc. 

It was interesting to learn of the new Beast Wars coming up and really nice to meet the Hasbro Guys, George & Jerry - to meet the guys behind the toys. You always hear about them, and what's coming up, but to actually meet them was great!

At Stan Bush & Vince DiCola's Panel, I told Stan that to me The Touch was Optimus' song. It always has been to me.  I told Vince that I liked the Soundtrack better than the movie. Stan used to belong to a group Called Boulder in 1979. (Anyone got that LP?!) They both liked working on the movie and I hope if there's another one, they'll do the singing & instrumentals!

It was absolutely the best at BotCon '97! More than I can say in words, but from the words you have read, I guess you can tell I had a more than great time! I hope to go next year, or another year! It was so sad to leave, but the happy memories will be with me forever.

 

"Hang onto your dreams. 

The future is built on dreams. 

Hang on."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back to Transformers Page