Chapter Six

 

 

            PICARD LOOKED DUBIOUS. “Your wife?"

            Lore nodded.  Picard looked dumfounded, but then dubious.

           “For all we know, you could've hurt her."

            Lore shook his head. “I didn't.  She was hurt when that satellite attacked.  You should be grateful, Picard.  I saved your ship."

           “That goes without saying, but if I am to believe that Persephone is your wife, you're going to have to give me proof."

           “All right."

 

                                                                     *    *    *

 

            Lore stood in the hall, looking immaculate.  He smiled to himself, then paused for a moment.  All of a sudden, the place seemed familiar, as if he'd been here before, but he knew he hadn't.  He gazed down the aisle, and the music started to play, soft, gentle and inspirational.

            Then he saw Persephone, walking toward him, dressed in a beautiful, many shaded brown dress.  Her face covered by dark brown veil.

And then he remembered.  She was the One.  The one in his dreams.  And now his dreams had come true.

            It seemed to take forever, for her to reach him, but he didn't mind.  He would wait that long for her.

            She stood beside him now.  And the music had come to an end.  He gently took her delicate hand into his own. She turned to him.  With his free hand, I slowly began to lift the veil ...

            Her rusty colored hair shone like the sun.  He drowned himself in her beautiful green eyes, and slowly lowered his hand from her veil, now pulled back over her small head.

            He put his arm around her, gently, and slowly, drew her toward himself. 

 

            When he kissed her, he felt something.  A feeling that was almost foreign to him - distant - in his past.  He'd felt it once before.  A feeling he swore he'd never feel again.  A feeling he'd long forgotten he had.  Love.

 

                                                                     *    *    *

 

 

 

            She sat on the bed, with her husband, and from one look at him, Persephone knew what he was feeling.  That sad, longing look in his eyes, although he thought he hid the pain quite well.  She gave him an understanding look.

           “Come here," she said gently, motioning toward him.

            He crawled to her across the bed and sat beside her.  She softly stroked his head. “It's okay," she whispered."

           “What?..." he started to say.

            She smiled warmly, “I know the pain, you're feeling, Lore.  It doesn't help to bottle it up."

            He was silent, but he knew.  She continued with her soft, gentle strokes. “It's all right.  I won't think you're weak if you."

            Lore tried to hold it back, but he was unsuccessful.  He buried his head in her chest and cried.  She shifted position to make him feel more comfortable, and continued comforting him.  The louder he sobbed, the more she cared, loved and cared for him.  He cried like a baby, but this time - this time, there was someone there for him.

 

*    *    *

 

           “I nursed her back to health and we fell in love ... I guess stranger things have happened, he?" Lore smiled.

            Picard looked somewhat bewildered.

           “Are you sure you don't need your Betazoid counsellor, Picard?" Lore asked with a hint of sarcasm.

            By this time, the Captain of the Enterprise had replicated another Earl Grey.

           “No, that's quite all right.  I may not have her senses, but I've a pretty good idea."

           “So, you no longer believe I hurt Persephone."

            Picard shook his head. “No, I don't."

           “Well, that's a start.  Where is she?"

           “She's in the emergency ward of Sickbay with Dr. Crusher."

           “Has she regained consciousness yet?"

            Picard shook his head.

           “Can I see her?"

           “I'm not sure if that's wise."

           “Please, Captain.  I need to see her."

            Picard detected a genuine concern in the android's voice.

           “All right.  You may see her, but I will grant you an escort."

           “Thank you."

 

Lore entered sickbay with the escort he'd been assigned.

            Persephone lay on a bed, still unconscious.  Beverly brushed a lock of copper hair out of her eyes, and scanned her.  She made a notation on the tricorder, then looked up at her visitors.  She swallowed, and hid her nervousness.  The last time she had encountered Lore, was nine years ago and he had threatened to kill her son.   To this day she'd never been sure if it was a bluff or not, but at the time, she didn't dare to risk it, and now the android was here, again and so close to her.  She resisted the urge to back away.

Lore paid no attention to the doctor.  His main concern was Persephone.  He looked at her, lying on the bed.  Her hand was warm to his touch.  There was one question he had to ask, but he was frightened that he might get an answer he didn't want to hear. 

            He swallowed, then:  “Is she going to be all right, Doctor?"

            Beverly repeated the words in her head.  It wasn't the words, it was the way he said them - with genuine concern.  Even though she was not Deanna, she could sense a strong bond between this android and this woman. “There's still hope," she said, “as you know, she was very badly wounded."

            There's still hope.  Lore sighed inwardly, relieved, but did not let his emotions show.

           “Thank you..."  There was a significant pause. “I hope it didn't leave a scar."

            The remark caught Beverly off guard. “Excuse me?"

           “When I shot your arm."

            She shook her head.

           “And I wasn't going to kill your son.  Say, where is the 'troublesome little man-child' anyway?"

            Beverly smiled at that description.  She could remember plenty of times when Wesley was indeed troublesome, but the first time Lore had referred to her child as that, it was not in humor.

           “He left the Enterprise to join Starfleet Academy.  Two years ago, he sought another path, left the Academy with a friend, to help a North American Indian Colony."

           “You miss him?"

            Sadly, she nodded. “But I know he's doing what he wants to do and I'm proud of him."

Lore found himself wondering, for the first time, what it would be like to have a child of his own.  Perhaps he could construct one, like his brother had done with Lal, or adopt one that needed a home.  Lore looked again at Persephone.

           “Are you sure she's warm enough?"

            Beverly nodded, and smiled inwardly.  How ironic, she thought.  Not so long ago, this android caused the deaths of so many people, and here he was, clucking about this one like a mother hen.

 

                                                                     *    *    *

 

            Picard paced around his Ready Room.  A beep from his computer told him he was receiving a subspace message.  It was Admiral Anthony Haftel from the Daystrom Institute.

           “Admiral," Picard sad curtly.

            Haftel looked suspiciously at the captain.

           “I think you're trying to protect the android as you did with Data.  It won't work, Picard - not this time."

            Picard looked innocent. “Admiral, I can assure you, that's not the case.  I am merely trying to bring justice to this situation."

           “Justice?  You call this justice?"

           “Admiral, Picard said, “it is in my interests to arrange a trial for Lore."

            “We all know Lore's guilty.  What's the point of holding a trial?  You're protecting a criminal, Picard - a murderer."

           “Admiral Haftel..."

           “I don't want to hear another word. I'm ordering you to hold position. I'll be leaving the Daystrom institute with Commander Bruce Maddox and will be rendezvousing with the Enterprise in two days.  Is that perfectly clear, Captain Picard?"

           “Yes, sir," he said, in a resigned tone.

           “Good.  Haftel out."

            The Admiral's image was replaced by a blank screen.

            Picard leant back in his chair, let out a breath and shook his head disdainfully.

           “Some people..."

 

                                                                     *    *    *

 

           “Now that the danger's passed, Lieutenant Worf, you informed me earlier that vegetation was the only form of life on the surface.  Nevertheless, I want to send a team down to the planet, hopefully to determine why someone is so adamant about keeping strangers away - so desperate, even to kill."

           “There is a large building complex, sir, “ Worf offered. “The answers we are looking for may be within its walls."

            Riker stood, anticipating the Captain's next order.

           “Worf, Rager, with me."

            Ensign Rager pushed aside the helm console to join Worf and Commander Riker in the turbolift.  Since Data was busy with Lore, she had been his next choice.  A competent and reliable officer.  At first, Riker hadn't been too sure about her capabilities, but she had proven her worth time and time again.  He had been particularly impressed at how she'd tackled some of the fiercest monsters in Worf's callisthenics program.

            If he had to say anything about Ensign Rager annoyed him, there would be only one minor thing.  Every time he saw her, she seemed to have a different hairstyle.  Today, however, she wore her hair in a straight bobbed fashion.  Her dark hair went well with her dark complexion.  Riker watched her silently in the turbolift. 

 

            Their surroundings were natural - grass, trees and hills.  The only unnatural phenomenon was the building Worf had detected, which lay approximately fifty meters ahead. The team pulled out their tricorders and analyzed, but answers they could not find.

            As they approached the building, it seemed to get larger.  Of course, that was not so, it was all to do with perspective, but it seemed so all the same.

The entrance was an open archway.  Riker was first up the steps which lead to the entrance.

           “There are no life forms in here" he reported. “It's a safe bet we won't be attacked."

           “I am not preparing for battle, Commander," Worf said. “But we must be cautious.  That satellite was constructed to keep strangers away.  Who is to say that the same precautions have not been taken here?"

Riker nodded.  The Klingon had made a good point.

           “Keep your eyes open" he said.

            The team walked into the foyer, each footstep creating an eerie echo.  Around them, on the walls, hung paintings, and huge statues stood, making the away team seem quite insignificant.  Riker began to wonder about the people that had once lived here.  Why had they left this?  From what they had seen, there was nothing to suggest that they had been violent people, but the satellite forced them to believe otherwise.

Obviously, this building had once been a center of attention, perhaps a palace, but now it was deserted.  Riker looked around.  This place, this complex had an eerie feeling and smell about it that told him that it hadn't been touched in a thousand years.

 

            The huge statues that loomed above the team were spectacular in every detail, marble, pristine and white.

            Riker observed the statue of one woman.  Her face, beautiful, but also firm - a face of a leader.  The commander looked down upon the commemorative plaque and the inscription.

 

 

Elida Oriel

 

Former leader of the Aurorian people. Devoted and caring

to the last.  We shall not forget her.

 

 

           “Commander," came Rager's voice, tearing him away from the statue that had captured his attention. “I think I've found something."

Riker and Worf approached her.  She stood in front of an open doorway.

           “What've you found, Ensign?"

            She pointed into the room, to what seemed like a primitive viewing device.  Riker gave a nod.  Cautious, the Away Team entered the room.

            Before they know it, the viewer was activated and a woman's face glared at them.  Worf instantly drew his phaser.

           “No," Riker said.

           “Strangers be gone," the woman's voice said. “You are not welcome here."

            Riker frowned.  Worf had pocketed the phaser and swapped it for a tricorder. “It is a recorded message, sir.  Obviously recorded some time ago."

            Riker nodded. “Let's see if she can tell us more."  He turned his attention to the woman on the screen.

           “Can you tell us who you are and why strangers are unwelcome?"

The woman's fair face twisted with anger, and her delicate brown eyes became filled with acid.

           “You destroyed our world - My people.  My name is Inej Oriel."

           “This is the first time we have come to your planet."

           “Strangers like you," the woman said."

           “Can you tell us more?"

            Obviously the Aurorians had been quite technologically advanced to record a message so long ago, which was capable of responding to erratic input.  Like a holodeck program in a way, Riker thought.

           “We once welcomed strangers," Inej said. “We Aurorians were a very peaceful people.  Strangers would come here and learn of our ways of life.  We had no word for war or violence in our vocabulary.  We had no need for them.  The closet word we had to war was disagreement, and all our disagreements were settled peacefully."

            There was a pause.

           “Go on," Riker urged gently.  It was as if she was really there, with them in the room.

           “And then the Var'Ren came." She spat the name out with all the disgust she could muster. “They brought weapons, of which we knew nothing.  My people welcomed them at first, as we welcomed all strangers.  They held rifles in their hands when they came forward.  They came closer to my people, and started shooting indiscriminately.  Killing for no reason.  We had no defences and we were helpless.  We did not know how to fight and," the image of Inej was now fighting to hold back tears, “thousands of us were slaughtered.  The Var'Ren were monsters.  They killed children and babies, pregnant females, elderly helpless people, without a second thought.  We tried to stop them, but there were too many of them and they were too powerful.  We learned that they wanted to take over our planet because theirs had become overpopulated. 

 

            “Fifty of us remained.  We knew it was useless to resist and they would not accept surrender.  As war was not a word in our vocabulary, compassion was obviously not a word in theirs.  We, the survivors made our way to this Center Hall, where we hid in the very basement, one hundred floors under the surface.  There lies a massive hall.  It was designed to shield large numbers of people in natural disasters, but it did the same in this unnatural disaster.  The basement was equipped with lighting, replicators, and the basic elements for survival.  We were frightened that the Var'Ren would find us and murder us all, but we were well shielded and only we knew of it.  We monitored the Var'Ren's actions through the computer terminals in the basement.  We were astonished when we saw them leaving.  It turned out that Aurora's atmosphere would have future side effects upon them and kill them after a prolonged exposure - My people slaughtered and wasted for nothing.  We had never felt hatred or the need for violence, never until now.  Every Aurorian wanted to see the Var'Ren dead, but there was nothing we could do.  We had no weapons.  They had slaughtered millions of us within days.  What could we do?  We cautiously ventured to the surface. 

 

Death and devastation lay everywhere.  Millions of broken bodies lay scattered.  The green grass covering that carpeted the land was now red with blood.  Not a single green patch remained.  The blood had formed a river which ran down into the valley.  My people's blood had been wasted for nothing.  There was absolutely nothing we could do.  The only structure they left standing was this one, as the Var'Ren had planned to use it as their headquarters.   They had been thorough.  The only one thing we could do to was stop this from happening again.

            “We did not want to make weapons, but it seemed to be the only way if we were attacked again.  But then we discarded that idea.  It would be better and safer to stop strangers from coming to Aurora's surface.  We began putting all our technologies together and we constructed a satellite.  We christened it the Cilona, which in ancient Aurorian means 'defense.'  Despite early setbacks and failures, within a few years, the Cilona was put into orbit.  She would protect us forever.  We did not need to worry about any strangers, however hostile they may be."

Inej had given a detailed description of what had happened and the satellite, but there was one thing she had not explained.

           “Inej," Riker said, “what happened to your people?  You say fifty of you survived the massacre and you created the Cilona, but we have not encountered any of your people."

           “That is because there are none of us left to encounter.  No, we were not attacked again.  The Cilona performed her duties well.  A plague struck my remaining people.  We tried to find a cure, but there was none.  We worked on developing one, but time was running out.  That is why I recorded this message, in the hope that someday someone would find it and preserve the history of my people.  Yes, I have contracted the plague and it is inevitable that I will die.  Sometimes I cannot help but feel that I have failed."

           “Failed?" Riker asked, “In what way?"

           “I am the Aurorian leader.  My mother, Alida, performed her duties well.  She led our people and protected them, and u der my leadership, our whole race had been doomed."

           “You couldn't help that," Riker assured. “You couldn't've stopped the Var'Ren, or the plague and I don't think your mother could have either.  You did the best you could for your people.  I think your mother would be proud of you?"

           “You do?" Inej's image asked, hopeful.

Riker nodded. “Unfortunately, the satellite you put up there killed some of my people."

           “I am sorry for that."

           “But it's been destroyed now."

           “It's no longer needed," Inej said.

           “We have to return to our ship now, Riker said," but we'll send a team of historians to spread the word about your race."

           “Thank you," Inej said. “You have taught me once again that not all strangers are bad."

           “Glad to oblige." Riker smiled her.

 

Riker gave his report to the Captain.

           “That solves the mystery, Number One.  We'll send a Starfleet Historical vessel to this area for study."

           “Yes sir.  I believe the USS Beachcomber is the nearest vessel."

           “Splendid.  The Aurorians shall not pass into oblivion."

 

            Riker smiled, but it was not one of pleasure.  His thoughts were with Inej Oriel.  A beautiful, dedicated woman, whom had died one thousand years earlier.


 

 

 

                                                Chapter Seven

 

 

            ADMIRAL HAFTEL'S VESSLE, the USS Hunter pulled up alongside the Enterprise.

 

                                                                     *    *    *

 

           “You're protecting a murderer, Picard!"

           “And I haven't denied that.  The fact is, Admiral...

           “The fact is, Captain," he said, with emphasis on the rank, “that I believe you see Lore as you do Data."

            Picard looked a trifle confused.

           “Data has rights as a Starfleet Officer and I am more than happy to acknowledge that, but Lore is not with Starfleet.  What I am saying is that you believe Lore should be given those rights."

            Picard nodded. “I understand what you're saying.  I see your point. I am not trying to protect Lore as such. I -"

           “Then what are you trying to do?!"  There was a hint of anger in Commander Maddox's voice. “You request that Lore should be given a trial.  You're associating human qualities with the android."

           “I am not denying Lore's crime" said Picard. “He deserves a fair trial as any criminal would.  Would you deny that of a human being?"

The question wasn't intended for an answer.  Haftel hesitated.

           “It won't help, Picard.  Lore is to be disassembled immediately."

           “Admiral, Commander ... At least give Lore a -"

            Maddox stood in fury.

           “You're trying to protect an inhuman, callous murdering machine!!  Can't you see that, Captain?!!  He is pure evil.  How can you defend that?"

Picard was perfectly clam. “I see perfectly clearly, Commander.  Evil.  Because Lore is 'evil' - does that make him non-sentient?"

            There was silence.

            Commander Maddox tried to calm himself down.

           “Perhaps Lore is in some way sentient, but we need to examine him for study."

           “Study..."  Picard shook his head.

           “Yes - study" said the admiral. “ Commander Maddox and I'll be returning to the Daystrom institute.  We have orders to return with him and disassemble him."

           “Now wait just a minute, Admiral," Picard interjected. “I intend to go before the President of the Federation and request that Lore be given a fair trial."

           “I still don't see this point of it," Haftel said, “ but have it your way, Picard.  We will await news of the trial.  If it is not granted within a week, the android will be disassembled."

           “Admiral," Picard said, “the last time you were here, you caused the death of an innocent android child."

            The anger drained from Haftel's face and he looked hurt.

           “And I deeply regret that.  But, Captain, Picard, Lore is far from innocent."

 

                                                                     *    *    *

 

            Admiral Haftel, Commander Maddox and Captain Picard were walking down the corridor, to transporter room three.

           “Suppose Lore is granted a trial" suggested Haftel. “No doubt he will be found guilty of murder."

           “If the verdict is never in doubt, Admiral, it will hardly be a fair trial.  All it will be is a farce."

           “We know he murdered the Omicron Theta Colonists," Maddox accused. “And the people with the Borg."

            Picard eyed the Commander. “Yes, he did ultimately kill them, but was is murder?"

            Maddox looked confused. “What do you mean, Captain?  Of course it was!"

           “How do we know for sure?  The colonists hardly treated Lore like one of them.  I think it's more likely that Lore acted out of self preservation, or perhaps emotional reasons - and that can hardly be deemed cold blooded murder - And besides, Lore already has been disassembled.  He spent almost thirty years in that state.  A human wouldn't've gotten half that."

            Haftel and Maddox looked as if Captain Picard had given them a hellva lot to think about.

 

            A few moments passed.

            Haftel broke the silence. “If Lore does go to trial, the true verdict will pass and I am sure it will not be in Lore's favor."

           “There are two sides to every story, Admiral. You only see the side which suits you best."

            Haftel did not look pleased at that.

            Picard drove the point home. “It's my understanding that Dr. Soong would not've programmed Lore with a killer instinct or violence.  Noonian Soong was not a violent man.  Lore would've had to learn violence somewhere.  He must've learnt it on the colony."

            Haftel opened his mouth to say something, but before he could, Picard spoke again. 

           “I do not think Lore was given a chance."

 

            The three stopped in front of a turbolift.  The doors slid open.  Picard gestured. Haftel entered, followed by Picard and Maddox.

            Admiral Haftel turned to the captain. “I understand what you're saying, Captain Picard. But many won't see as you do.  There are many out there who want to see Lore disassembled - permanently."

           “Admiral, Lore is a life form - A sentient being.  The fact that he is a 'machine' makes no difference to me."

           “He is not human."

           “No, Commander Maddox, he is not - Neither are half the people in StarFleet.  Would you grant then any less?"

            A moment of silence followed.

           “And if the people knew exactly why Lore did what he did, they may see things under a different light.  Perhaps even be willing to forgive him."

Haftel considered. “Somehow, Captain, I doubt that."

 

                                                                     *    *    *

 

            Lore looked at his helpless wife, lying on a bed in sickbay.  He wanted so much to help her, but he could do nothing.  He gently touched her.

Beverly watched him, and wondered how this android, who had caused so much death and destruction could now be so gentle, People change she thought, however unlikely that might seem.  She approached Lore cautiously.

           “We're doing everything we can for her."

            She almost startled him.  He'd been so caught up with Persephone, he hadn't even noticed Beverly.  He nodded sadly.

           “I'm sorry, Doctor," he said.

           “What for?"

           “You know, shooting your arm ... and I wasn't going to kill your son, really."

            Beverly gave a small smile. “It's okay.  I might be mad if it'd left a scar."

Lore almost smiled. “By the way, where is the 'troublesome little man-child these days?"

           “He left the Academy, to help a North American Indian colony," Beverly said. “And I'm very proud of him."

            Lore nodded. “I'll bet you are.  Sounds as though he's come a long way from the little brat I met."  he gave an apologetic smile to the doctor, then looked back at Persephone.

            Dr. Crusher was distracted when she heard the doors to Sickbay open, and she went to greet the newcomers.  Picard, Haftel and Maddox.

           “Lore," Picard called.

The android turned around, and saw the three of them.

           “What do you want?" he said, his voice defensive.

            Picard briefed Lore on what had happened.  The android clearly wasn't happy about it.

           “But I have requested a trial."

           “And if it isn't granted?" Lore asked bitterly.

He was worried for his wife.  What would he do if she didn't make it?  What would she do if she made it and he didn't?

           “Lore, I strongly suggest you cooperate.  If you want any chance in this at all."

Lore glowered, but knew he had no choice, but to agree.  For Persephone and his sake.

 

            The turbolift doors hissed open.

 

            Haftel, Maddox and Picard entered the transporter three with Lore.

           “I will see to it that after his trial Lore is given to Starfleet research."

           “Assuming the verdict passed is disassembly," Picard said.

           “Which I'm sure it will be."

           “What would you know?" Lore snapped.

           “I know what Lore did, Admiral," Picard said, “but no one has ever asked why." He paused for a moment. “Admiral, do you dissect rats, frogs or guinea pigs for study?"

            Haftel looked shocked. “Of course not!  The dissecting of live animals was outlawed in 2249, because it was unjust."

            Haftel walked with Maddox onto the transporter platform.  Picard did not take his eyes off them for a second.

           “Perhaps dissecting live androids will be outlawed someday too."

            Lore smiled. “Thank you, Captain."

            Haftel and Maddox looked at Picard, obviously thinking about what he'd just said.  Picard would not take his eyes of them and quite frankly, he was making Admiral Haftel feel uneasy - not to mention Maddox as well.  Haftel nodded to the transporter chief.

           “Energize."

            After the last shimmer of the transporter beam had faded away, Captain Picard said a disdainful, “Good Riddance," then, “you did not hear that, Chief."

           “Hear what, sir?"


 

 

 

 

                                                 Chapter Eight

 

 

 

 

            THIS IS IT Lore thought.  I never should've agreed to that damn trial.  I should've known they weren't serious about it.  All they wanted was to get me and now they've got me.  They're going to disassemble me, which is what they wanted all along.  Why couldn't I see that?  With all my intelligence, I sure can be stupid sometimes.  And I can't afford to be stupid at a time like this.  They've tied me down to a bed with energy bands.  Even I can't break these blasted things.  Damn.  If only there was a way out - something I could do.

Lore tried to struggle against the bands, knowing all attempts were futile.

           “You'll never break those" came a voice.

Lore turned his head and saw a woman, say in her fifties, looking quite satisfied.  She looked vaguely familiar.

           “Who are you?" Lore asked.

           “You of all people should know.  I was on the colony."

            Lore registered this information. “You must be Dr. Kila Marr.  You left the colony before..."

           “Before the that Crystal monster attacked" she concluded bitterly.

            Lore fell silent.

            Dr. Marr looked at Lore defiantly. “Do you know that I destroyed it?"

Lore hesitated. “I knew the Entity had been killed, but I didn't know it was you who -"

           “Yes," she said with satisfaction. “It will ravish no more worlds..."

            Lore looked at her. “How could you destroy something as beautiful as the Crystalline Entity?"

            Dr. Marr considered for a moment. “Yes, it was beautiful - but the beauty only went skin deep.  It had killed millions and would've continued to do so, if..."

Lore couldn't help feeling upset.  The beautiful Crystalline Entity was the closest thing in the universe he'd ever had to a friend.  True it was hardly there for him, but now it was gone.

            He looked at the Doctor, who seemed to be keeping her distance from him.

           “You're scared of me, aren't you?"  Lore jeered.

            Dr. Marr looked at him. “There's no way you can escape.  Soon you're going to be disassembled - what you deserve."

           “What I deserve ... You have no idea what I've been through, Lady.  How much I was hurt..."

            Marr exploded.

           “How much you were hurt?!!  What about the hundreds of people you killed.  My son, Renny was on Omicron Theta, you bastard android!"

Dr. Marr's anger turned into sadness.  She was close to tears.

           “He was only sixteen when he was killed - a child for god's sake ... how could you kill a child? ..."

           “I didn't kill any children.  The Crystal Entity did."

           “You lured it there.  You -"

           “True, but I was unstable.  I wasn't in my right mind ... I was too emotional, too hurt to think of every colonist. I -"

           “You have emotions?"  It was a sarcastic question, not intended for an answer. “You have less feelings than Data."

            I understand her bitterness and why she hates me Lore thought. I'd probably hate someone who killed my child too, but I wish she would understand ... I sometimes overestimate humans.  Most of them are so ... so single minded.  Not willing to forgive anything, or give anyone a second chance ...  They think they're the only ones that matter.

The doctor looked at me and smiled. “I shall have great pleasure in seeing you disassembled piece by piece ... My only regret is you will feel no pain."

Hah!  I've already felt more pain than anyone in this universe.  Nothing she can do will hurt me.

Lore pasted a grin on his face, but the grin hid the fear.  He knew this was it.  He was going to get disassembled, his parts studied, perhaps to make more androids, but Lore knew he was the first.  The first sentient android and no one could ever take that away from him.  And he also knew, after this, the chances of ever getting reassembled were very slim.  Very slim indeed.  Less than the chance he had of being rescued when he was drifting in space.  And even after he was disassembled, perhaps they would destroy his parts.  Would they do that?  Would they destroy him utterly?

Lore was frightened, but he hid it well.

Dr. Marr turned to leave.  Lore waited until she was at the door.

           “You can gloat all you like, bitch."

 

            Persephone came to her husband and placed her arms around him.

           “That's more like it," Lore said.

           “I wanted to see you before the trial began ... It's been hard just getting to you ..."

           “Federation ..." Lore shook his head. “Thank you," he said to her. “It means a lot."

            The long dark haired woman smiled. “I came to tell you, as hard as it is, not to fear."

            Lore grimaced. “That's near impossible."

           “I won't let them take you apart, Lore.  I won't."

            Lore sighed and held her. “Thank you, Persephone.  Your love means a great deal."

 

                                                                      *    *    *

 

            Admiral Haftel and Commander Maddox had returned to the Daystrom Institute.

 

           “So ... at last we meet Data's prototype ..." Maddox sneered.

            Lore was strapped fast to the bed.  He looked at the newcomer. “Who the hell are you?"

Commander Maddox looked a trifle offended at that.

 

            Lore cursed the two Starfleet officers in the lab with him.

           “You're in no position to insult us, android," said Maddox, coldly.

           “Oh, so you expect me to be nice to you butchers?"

           “Well, you could try," said Maddox, sarcastically. “We might even free you."

           “Really?"  Lore's sarcasm escaped no one.

            Despite his sarcasm and calm composure, the fear inside him was rapidly escalating.

 

            Commander Maddox reached for Lore's off switch.  Lore tried to squirm away.

           “Keep still," snapped Maddox.

            Lore knew there was nothing he could do.  He looked at Maddox, pleading.

           “Please Don't ..."

Maddox hesitated for a moment.

            The android actually sounds scared. He thought.  Can it be possible?  Does Lore have emotions?  How can this be?  He is a killing machine who has killed hundreds of people.  He must be disassembled.  This is justice.

            Lore's pleading words rang in Maddox's head.  Over and over.  Please don't...

 

            Lore's life began to flash before his eyes. All that he'd been through.  Was this it?  Was he ever going to get reassembled again after this?  He was extremely doubtful. Lore was getting desperate.

            What am I gonna do?  What can I do?  I should've known the blasted Federation wouldn't have granted the trial ... I trusted them, and look where it's got me ... It's so unfair ... Why can't they understand?  I never got a chance ... Why can't they give me a chance?  Is that too much to ask?  Is that -

 

            Commander Maddox turned to Admiral Haftel.

           “We need to see Data's schematics.  To see where the parts are connected.  We must be precise in disassembling the android, otherwise it might get damaged."

Admiral Haftel turned to the computer.

           “Computer, please display the schematics of Lieutenant Commander Dat-"

 

            At that moment, a figure materialized in the room.  Haftel and Maddox spun around to see Data standing before them, holding a Computerized PADD.

           “Commander Data" greeted Admiral Haftel. “You could've at least knocked."

           “Knocked, sir?"

           “Never mind.  Why are you here?"

           “I am here, sir, to take custody of the android known as Lore.  You are to relinquish him to me."

           “Is that an order, Data?"

           “Yes, sir."

            The Admiral could scarcely believe what he was hearing.

           “Do you know I could have you court marshalled for this?"

            Data flashed the PADD in the Admiral's face.  It had a UFP and Starfleet symbol on the screen.

           “Here, sir, are the orders of the President of the Federation, and the Grand Admiral of StarFleet - Granting Lore's request for a trial.  If you disobey them, I will have you court marshalled."

Haftel was snuffed.

           “Very well, Commander," he said, grudgingly. “He's all yours."

           “Thank you, sir."

            Data turned to Lore, who had been turned off moments before.

           “But, Data, I want him returned here immediately after the trial, for his disassembly.'

            Data could've sworn that Admiral Haftel was getting on his nerves.

           “Assuming, sir, that the sentence passed will be in your favor."

           “You honestly don't think he has a chance, do you?"

           “I do not know."

           “I don't think he's got a chance in hell."

           “That, Admiral, is your opinion."

            And with that, Data flicked the switch which reactivated his brother.

           “What ... Where am I? ..."  Lore looked around. “I'm still here ... I haven't been disassembled."

            There was a hint of surprise and relief in his voice.  Then he saw Data. 

           “What are you doing here?"

           “The Federation granted your request for a trial ... In the nick of time, so it would seem."

            Phew.  Talk about being saved the gong.


 

 

 

 

 

                                                 Chapter Nine

 

 

            THE PEOPLE BEGAN TO FILE OUT OF THE OBSERVATION LOUNGE. Data stood and walked toward the door.

           “Data, wait ..." Lore called.

            Data turned around.  Everyone else had gone and he was alone with his brother in the room.

           “If you try anything, Lore ..." Data started to warn.

            Lore shook his head. “That's not what I want .... And I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid.  It seems wherever I go people are watching and talking about me ... I always wanted to be famous."  Lore smiled

            Data looked at him, still somewhat dubious.  Lore sat down and motioned for Data to sit too.  Data sat opposite him.

           “Data..." Lore began, then stopped, finding the next words difficult.

            He waited for a while, then continued. “I need you to do a favor for me."

           “Pardon, Lore?"

            Data heard what Lore had said.  His auditory sensors were functioning perfectly, but what?  A favor?  What was Lore playing at?

           “I need you to do a favor for me," Lore repeated.

            Data looked at him.

           “A favor?"

            Lore nodded.

Data paused for a while. “You may have saved the Enterprise, Lore and I am grateful for that, but you have never done anything for me.  I do not see why I should -"

           “Data, please.  It's very important."

            Data took a breath. “You have lied to me, tricked me, controlled me and tried to kill me and now you are asking me to do a favor for you?  I am sorry, but I do not see why-"

           “Well Fine!  I'm sorry I'm not your idea of an ideal brother, Data, but I really need this."

           “Well, I am sorry, Lore, but I will not do any favors for you.  You do not deserve it.

            There was a long silence, which Lore broke.

           “The Federation has agreed to give me a fair trial and I have agreed to it."

            Data said nothing but kept listening.

            Lore continued. “But when the judgement is passed, they may still decide in favor of disassembling me."

            Data nodded. “I am aware of that."

           “I'm taking a risk, Data.  In a way I want to have this trial.  I need it, but there's a chance I won't make it through."

           “You were aware of that.  You chose to take that risk.  I will not help you to win, Lore, if that is what you are asking me to do."

            Lore shook his head. “It's not that, Data."

           “I will not help you, Lore.  I said I would not do any favors for you and I stand by that."

            Data stood and headed straight for the door.  Lore looked at him.

           “It's not for me.  It's for her."

            Data almost at the door, turned around. “Her?" He paused. “Your wife?"

            Lore nodded and spoke slowly. “Yes ... If I don't make it through the trial, I need you to take care of her."

            Data heard the weight of Lore's words.  He obviously cared for Persephone very much.  Data looked at Lore, impressed and wondering about the compassionate side of his brother of which he had seen very little.

           “Why me?" he found himself asking.

           “Because ..." Lore shifted in the seat, seeming embarassed and uncomfortable. “You're the only one I can trust with her..."

            There was a long pause again.

            Lore took a silent breath, then spoke. “Will you do it, Data?"

            Data looked at Lore.

            Lore looked at Data, pleading. “Data, please ..."

            The other android hesitated for a moment.

           “All right, I will do it, Lore.  For her."

            Lore smiled. “I knew I could count on you ... and another thing, Data, before you go, Persephone might not make it."

           “I know that, Lore.  Her injuries were quite severe."

           “I have another favor to ask."

            Data looked at his brother and listened.

           “If she dies, I want you to deactivate me permanently."

            Data's eyes widened.  This was the closest he's ever been to disbelief.

           “Deactivate you, Lore, but -"

           “I can't live without her, Data.  She's done so much for me and helped me tremendously.  I only wish she'd come along earlier in my life.  I don't know what I'd do without her."

            Data hesitated for a moment.

           “All right, Lore."

            Lore smiled. “Thanks."

            Data turned to leave, but as he approached the door, he turned to Lore.

           “I hope she survives."

            Lore stayed in the lounge in silence for a while after Data left, before being escorted to the guest quarters he was assigned.

 

*     *     *

 

           “Before she died, our mother wanted you to have this."

            Data handed Lore a long yellow chip. “It is an interactive Holodeck program.  I did not have the heart to tell her that I was not going to reactivate you, at that point."

           “Thank you, Data," Lore said. “Strange, but I still care for her, despite what she and my father did."

            "You never told her tell her she was an android."

           “No," Data said. “A chip was removed from her brain which contained a message from my father.  I wanted to tell my mother what she was, but it was against my father's wishes."

           “So, you didn't, because he didn't want you to.  Is that what you're saying?"

           “It is not only that.  The decision to keep her from knowing the truth was hard for me to make, but it was better for her.  I did not enjoy lying to my mother.  I was about to tell her the truth, but then I thought that would be very selfish."

           “So, you told her she broke her arm and suffered a concussion in the fall."

           “Yes."

           “You impress me, Brother.  Not so long ago you would have hit her with the cold, hard truth."

            Data nodded. “A lot has changed since then, Lore.  I have grown and am constantly developing, and from what I can see, you are starting to as well."

Lore looked at Data, a tad puzzled.

           “Not so long ago, Lore, you would have killed Persephone because she was human."

            Lore smiled and nodded. “I guess I have changed."

            Data gave his brother a small smile. “A great deal.  Go and see Juliana.  She's waiting in there."

            Data gestured toward the door of the Holodeck.

            Lore smiled. “Thanks, Brother."

            A moment later, he entered the room.

 

            She looked older, but Lore had expected that.  Then he paused.  She was an android now, but she looked so human.  Obviously, she had to resemble a human in every way so she would not discover what she was.

           “Mother," he said.

            She looked from where she sat.

           “Data."

            The android took a few steps closer.

            Juliana tensed. “Lore..."

            Lore noted his mother's voice had become nervous.  He held up a hand, comfortingly. “Don't be frightened, Mother."

           “It's not hard to be after what you did."

            Lore sighed and sat down next to his mother, a few feet away.  She looked so real.

           “I know this isn't the greatest of opening lines," he said, “but I thought you were dead."

            Juliana smiled a little. “So, did I for a while.  I was severely injured when the Crystalline Entity attacked."

            Lore felt a twinge of guilt. “It hurt you?"

           “Not as such.  Noonian and I were running away.  We were sitting in the underground lab.  The others had all been killed.  The base rocked and I tripped, then some machinery fell on top of me and that was the last thing I remembered until I woke up and saw Noonian's beautiful blue eyes peering down at me and I smiled."

Lore thought about telling his mother what she was, but decided against that.  Even he wouldn't be that cruel.  He also wanted what was best for her.

Lore waited for a long while.

           “I'm sorry..." was all he could say.

            Juliana found herself wanting to forgive her son, but the anger wouldn't go away.

           “I'm afraid that isn't good enough, Lore.  No matter how sorry you are, it won't bring any of those people back."

           “You know what they did to me, Mother.  It's their fault.  You told Data I was evil and cruel.  Did you tell him why?  How I became that way?  I bet you didn't.  You know I wasn't like that at the beginning."

Juliana nodded.

           “Data doesn't understand me and neither do you."

           “I do understand you, Lore.  Your father and I tried very hard to-"

           “It was too late for that, dammit!  They're the ones who made me unstable in the first place..."

            Lore allowed himself a few moments to calm down.

           “No one understands the pain I went through or how much they hurt me ... and just because I'm an android ... And don't bother asking me why I'm jealous of Data.  You should know why.  He's got everything I ever wanted and it wasn't too much to ask either.  He's accepted, he's got friends who love and care about him, and-"

           “You had a friend once.  Do you remember Elanore?"

            Lore nodded silently.  Of course, he remembered her.  He was incapable of forgetting anything, but he hadn't thought of her in such a long time, the memory seemed so distant, so far away, it was almost as if he had.

           “I remember her," he said, “but she died ... And they blamed me for it."

           “Your father and I knew it wasn't your fault, Lore.  We know how you felt about her.  You cried for weeks after she died and locked yourself in your room ... But do you see my point?  Not every colonist rejected you."

Lore looked at his mother in silence.

           “Most of them did."

           “There were children on that colony, Lore."

           “I was a child on that colony!" Lore almost yelled. “And no one gave a damn about me!" Lore sniffed, then continued, “and besides, there weren't many children on Omicron Theta."

           “That's beside the point and you know it."

Lore ran his hand through his hair, then looked at Juliana.

           “Look, I know it was wrong to cause the deaths of al those people and I regret it now, but there's not much I can do about it.  I can't change history." Lore stopped, then carried on. “You say you cared for me and that you understood me, but you don't."

           “Of course I do.   You're my son ... and Data too..." Juliana took a deep breath. “When you were dismantled, I..."

Lore winced, for a moment, and Juliana stopped.

           “What is it?"

           “Please don't use that word."

           “What word?"

           “...'Dismantled.' ... Just say disassembled ... or taken apart. Dismantles just sounds so ..." Lore shivered."

            Juliana's brow furrowed. “But they mean the same thing."

           “I know, but when you say 'Dismantled,' it sounds as if you're referring to me as a thing.  Don't ask me why.  It just does."

Juliana still didn't see any difference in the words, respected her son's wishes. “When you were disassembled," she began to say, then stopped, her eyes brimming with tears, “...it was the hardest thing I ever did - we did, in fact.  Noonian and I.  I tell you, there wasn't a dry eye between us ... but we had no choice.  We had planned to repair you at a later date ... to find out exactly what had gone wrong, but..."

           “I know," Lore said, softly. “It's my fault and I'm sorry."

Juliana looked at her son.

           “Well, at least that's a start."  She took a deep breath, the continued. “But it didn't end there, did it?  You didn't just kill humans on Ohniaka Three.  Your hatred for them stretched to all biological-life forms."

            Lore waited for a few moments, then shook his head.

           “I was still unstable ... I hated all humans for what the colonists did to me.  I realize that was wrong now.  All humans aren't responsible for what happened to me.  I am."

           “You don't hate humans anymore?"

           “...Well, I'm not too keen on Picard and his bunch."

           “It serves you right, you know after the things you did with Data and the Borg."

            Lore nodded slowly. “I guess I did deserve that.  I should've seen that coming."

Juliana looked at her son again. “Oh, and another thing.  I'm not too impressed with you stealing Data's chip.  Why?"

           “I thought it would end all my problems and fix me.  It would've given Data stabile emotions, and so I thought..."

           “I understand," Juliana said, “but it did the exact opposite and sent you round the twist."

            Lore silently nodded. “Data has the chip now.  He removed it from me what I was disassembled.  He told me that it had been damaged when he was forced to shoot me."

           “Still," Juliana scalded, “you shouldn't've taken it."

            Lore hung his head. “I know, Mum, and I'm sorry..."

           “Don't get me wrong, Lore.  I understand what you've been through ... How it all started, but you just went too far."

Lore looked at his mother, and bit his lower lip to keep it from quivering.

           “It didn't stop with the colony, did it?  You continued with your evil ways.  More people suffered or lost their lives.  You may not have killed them personally, but you were the cause."

           “You don't have to rub it in, you know.  I know what I did and I'm not proud of it.  I'm not a god.  I can't bring any of those people back, but I'm trying to start again, trying to start a new life and I can't do that if everyone keeps throwing my past back in my face."

Juliana gave her son a comforting smile. “And you've made a good start, Lore, from what I can tell, so don't blow it."

           “I don't intend to."

           “Oh ... and by the way ... congratulations.  Persephone must love you very much."

            Lore smiled, but the smile contained a touch of sadness.  Persephone, at this very moment was, in a critical condition, fighting for her life in the Enterprise sickbay.

  She's done so much for me ... She's the only own who can save me ... and if she dies, so will my soul ... and everything I am now ...

And if she could sense Lore's feelings, Juliana put a comforting arm around Lore's shoulder.

           “Noonian felt the same way when I was hurt ... but everything was all right."

Lore blinked once.  If Persephone didn't survive, could he repeat what his father had done with Juliana?  What if she died and he couldn't?

            Nevertheless, his mother's comforting words somehow made him feel a little better.

           “As I was saying," Juliana said, “even after everything you've done, you are still my son and I love you."

            Lore smiled and looked into his mother's eyes.

           “I love you too, Mum."

            Then Lore lifted his hands and reached behind Juliana's neck.  For a brief moment, she was terrified, and her eyes showed it, but Lore just smiled, and removed the clip that bunched her hair up behind her head, allowing it to fall freely beyond her shoulders.  The fear was now gone and Juliana relaxed. Lore smiled and affectionately ruffled his mother’s hair.

           “I always said you looked better with your hair down."

            Lore smiled warmly.

           “Computer," he said. “End program."

            Juliana and the surroundings were replaced by the glowing yellow grid.

            A single yellow tear meandered down Lore's cheek.

 


 

 

 

 

Chapter Ten

 

 

            LORE SHIFTED UNCONFORTABLY IN HIS SEAT as the trial began.  He glanced over at Data, who gave him a nod of encouragement.  Persephone smiled at him, encouraging him further.  Her gaze told him not to fear.  Inwardly, the other android smiled.

            The Federation Judge sat in the centre of the bench.

           “This court is now in session.  The purpose of this hearing is to ascertain whether the Android Lore will be disassembled or otherwise. Lore, am I to understand you still wish to represent yourself?"

           “That is correct, your honour."

           “Please start at the beginning."

            Despite the fact that androids did not need air, Lore took a deep breath.

           “As you know I am no angel, and I never clammed to be, but after this, I hope you will see that I am not a devil either.  I take you back in time to Omicron Theta ... Almost forty years ago ..."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Onto Chapters 11-15

 

Back to DataLore Page